Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

There has long been a thread in the Movies forum called Actors You Just Can't Stand, so I thought we needed one just for those on TV, especially TV isn't just the home for actors! 

...You know what I mean. Go! 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, UYI said:

There has long been a thread in the Movies forum called Actors You Just Can't Stand, so I thought we needed one just for those on TV, especially TV isn't just the home for actors! 

...You know what I mean. Go! 

To start with, I thought I might say, anybody from FOX "News"!

• Love 24

I guess Steve Harvey is better placed here and not in the other thread, so I am placing him here. I agree about Kelly Ripa and all Fox news hosts. I am adding Sherri Shepherd, Whoopi Goldberg (who ceased being an actress years ago), Wendy Williams, the majority of the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots football teams, Paul Hollywood (The Great British Bake Off), Nick Cannon...I need to rest right now but will be back.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I guess Steve Harvey is better placed here and not in the other thread, so I am placing him here. I agree about Kelly Ripa and all Fox news hosts. I am adding Sherri Shepherd, Whoopi Goldberg (who ceased being an actress years ago), Wendy Williams, the majority of the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots football teams,

Agree with all of these.  I don't know who Paul Hollywood is but I have a soft spot for Nick Cannon.  I don't know why.

All of the women on The View, The Talk., and The Real.

Judge Judy

Dr. Oz

There will be more, many more.  I just need to think.

• Love 5

The Faux News crew, yeah. 

Helen Hunt.  I know it's been a while since she's been on TV, but I just cannot stand her.  She's just one big collection of repetitive tics to me rather than an actor playing characters. 

Whoever hosts that Pioneer Woman cooking show.  The food looks like hot buttered ass anyway, so I'm not sad I can't watch the show because of her, but she comes off as incredibly annoying and slightly deranged -- her smile is creepy. 

David Caruso.  I like his voice, but something about the whole package just makes me want to punch him.

Scott Conant (Chopped judge).  The man once through a temper tantrum because a chef with an injured hand use tongs to hold her fish while she filleted it, huffing that she disrespected it.  Disrespected.  The dead fish.  Apparently, bleeding on it would have been more honorable.  And there's the fact he screws his employees out of proper wages, of course.  See, also, Geoffrey Zakarian from the same show.

Skip Bayless (bloviating ESPN host).  He can't successfully argue a point, so he just shouts down those who can.

Dr. Phil.  Do I even need an explanation for this one?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Yeah. So many of you are disliking the exact same people I dislike (and whom I  possibly mentioned in the other thread), so I will "like" your posts for now but reiterate the hate when they offend me again. (I have no worries that they will.)

• Love 1

In addition to the ones people have already mentioned, I have to throw in Alyson Hannigan. That baby voice and mannerisms have been off putting to me since Buffy, and was a HUGE part of the reason I couldn't get beyond two episodes of How I Met Your Mother. 

And thankfully for me he's not on tv anymore, but I always hated David Letterman. I know I'm in the minority on that one, but I always found him insufferably smug. 

• Love 9

Ryan Seacrest. I don't watch Idol, but he's Executive Producer for all the Kardashian Krap on E! This leads me to believe he's the Anti-Christ.

Ditto on Skip Bayless, and many other sports analysts and announcers. Screamin' Stephen A. Smith, Joe Buck, Phil Simms, Colin Cowherd, Tony Kornheiser (I've run into him a couple time, he's a self-important twunt), Michael Wilbon, Boomer Esiason, Doug Gottlieb, and I can't remember anymore off the top of my head, but it'll come back to me during football season.

• Love 3

Michael J. Fox, another actor full of mannerisms disguised as acting. If your show creator writes an episode-long monologue for you, then be sure you'll win the Emmys. So very over- decorated as an actor.

• Love 1

First, last and always: Conan O'Brien. It's a visceral thing since his physical appearance skeeves me out, but it's also his personality, which is a thin-skinned collection of juvenile tics and posturing. His "poor pitiful me" so-called comedy tour after he was fired from The Tonight Show was the cherry on my loathing sundae.

• Love 8

I agree about Bill Maher.  I loathe him.

Dennis Miller - smug asshole

Jon Stewart - another smug asshole

Ellen DeGeneres - never thought she was funny. Ever. 

Al Michaels, Chris Collinsworth - can't stand their voices and they ruin NFL football games for me.

More to come.........

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I agree on the Bill Maher. He's just so condescending and smug. I haven't been able to watch him for years, decades even maybe.  

When he was on Comedian in Cars with Seinfeld, he talked about the two of them going on tour as the comedy team of Arrogant and Smug. So at least he knows it?

• Love 4

Anyone of Faux News of course, but also James Corden and Stephen Colbert.  I wish I could like Colbert but I just don't.  I could take a little bit of Trevor Noah when he was sometimes on The Daily Show, but not as the host.  His accent is something that I just don't like to listen to that much.

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Ellen DeGeneres - never thought she was funny. Ever. 

Agree 100%. I loved Finding Nemo in spite of her, and I know I can't take 90 minutes of her being the main character so I'll skip Finding Dory. And since becoming a talk show host, her slightly mean side has come out in the way she gets her giggles by scaring her guests. I have extreme arachnophobia and if I were famous and a guest on her show and she thought it would be the height of hilarity to bring a tarantula or something out at me, that would be the last time I would be in the same enclosed space with her.

I watched one episode of the Colbert Report because of the guest that was on, and it was okay; I missed what everyone else seems to have gotten out of it because I don't understand the level of worship so many people have over Stephen Colbert.

Edited by Popples
Grammatical error
  • Love 4

My hatred for Ellen was solidified when she found out that Savannah Guthrie was terrified of frogs, so Ellen thought it was hilarious to scare the bejesus out of Savannah.   She's done other mean stuff that she thought was funny, but that one just sticks out in my mind. 

• Love 6

I really don't like Ellen but I loved Finding Dory. Somehow that worked for me. Still, her talk show is not for me because unscripted Ellen is not funny. 

My big name on this list is Matt Lauer. He's awful, has ruined careers, is petty and an awful interviewer. I just hate that creep. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, vibeology said:

My big name on this list is Matt Lauer. He's awful, has ruined careers, is petty and an awful interviewer. I just hate that creep. 

Today on NBC has really become quite the miss for me, and became so ever since he joined in 1997. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Agree with all of these.  I don't know who Paul Hollywood is but I have a soft spot for Nick Cannon.  I don't know why.

All of the women on The View, The Talk., and The Real.

Judge Judy

Dr. Oz

There will be more, many more.  I just need to think.

Why don't you like Judge Judy? Yeah, she's annoying, but she's old. Doesn't that give her a pass?

And on The Talk, I like Aisha Tyler and Sara Gilbert. Sheryl Underwood is growing on me. 

Otherwise, I like your list!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gurkel said:

Why don't you like Judge Judy? Yeah, she's annoying, but she's old. Doesn't that give her a pass?

No, being old doesn't give her a pass to be rude and annoying.  That goes for any age.  I just don't like her.

• Love 5

Judge Judy's voice is just very annoying.   I really don't get the appeal of Ellen, but I suppose she is an icon for people.  The Talk might have been a good show if they hadn't started out with Sharon Osbourne.   The View used to be a good show,  but now they need smarter people on their panel.   

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Gurkel said:

And on The Talk, I like Aisha Tyler and Sara Gilbert. Sheryl Underwood is growing on me. 

Otherwise, I like your list!

Aisha Tyler is one I have never mentioned but she grates. (I lover the show Archer though. She does voiceover work on it.)

• Love 1

Well, if anyone needs to be on this thread, I'd like to nominate Nancy Grace. I won't bore everyone detailing WHY I can't stand her. Suffice it to say that, IMO she seems to be an utter nightmare  and I'm thankful that I can turn off any set or surf to another channel the instant  she appears rather than have to have her in my life in any capacity. And, yes, I can honestly say that I'd feel EXACTLY the same way about this person were this person a man.

• Love 18
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Well, if anyone needs to be on this thread, I'd like to nominate Nancy Grace. I won't bore everyone detailing WHY I can't stand her. Suffice it to say that, IMO she seems to be an utter nightmare  and I'm thankful that I can turn off any set or surf to another channel the instant  she appears rather than have to have her in my life in any capacity. And, yes, I can honestly say that I'd feel EXACTLY the same way about this person were this person a man.

Good news: Her show is over after October. Praise Jesus for that.

One of her worst moments was trying to force Elizabeth Smart to talk about her kidnapping when she was there to talk about legislation, and ES was clearly uncomfortable with her line of questioning. She handled herself much better than some would have.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 13

Elizabeth Smart has a hell of a lot more composure than I do, because I would've told Nancy Grace to fuck off within the first 15 seconds.  And that condescending "Oh sorry, I thought you just wanted to speak out for other victims, but that's ok" at the end - asshole.

• Love 20

I have been meaning to ask somebody this for a longtime, but why do I keep hearing about Johnny Manziel? It certainly can't be because he is actually playing football. I know I know very little about the sport and get (what seems like many moons ago) he was a good football pick. It seems to me that he never lived up to that potential, because his life is all kinds of fucked up. I am sick of hearing about him.

I said in another thread, that I have never knowingly heard a Taylor Swift (someone else I dislike) song but hear about her all the time. Well, I have never knowingly seen Manziel on a football field but hear about him (on everything but a football field) all the time.

• Love 2
On 8/3/2016 at 0:07 AM, cpcathy said:

Michael J. Fox, another actor full of mannerisms disguised as acting. If your show creator writes an episode-long monologue for you, then be sure you'll win the Emmys. So very over- decorated as an actor.

And worse yet (and this is one for the "shows you wanted to like but don't" thread as well), I tried to see his classic 1982-89 NBC comedy called Family Ties (I had the first season's worth before), and for reasons unknown, it didn't click for me.

On 8/3/2016 at 10:44 PM, Enigma X said:

Aisha Tyler is one I have never mentioned but she grates. (I lover the show Archer though. She does voiceover work on it.)

She is a DJ on the radio station that I have my alarm clock set to.  I don't really know why.  The TV stuff must pay a lot more.

I can't stand any of those Housewives.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

She is a DJ on the radio station that I have my alarm clock set to.  I don't really know why.  The TV stuff must pay a lot more.

Ryan Seacrest still does his morning radio show.

I like Aisha Tyler on Whose Line is it Anyway, but that's the only thing I've ever really seen her in.

Whoopi (or Caryn Johnson, as I prefer to think of her) was the final nail in The View coffin for me. I had mild feelings of good will towards her when she was acting in movies and doing Comic Relief, but can't hack her actual personality, which is vile.

And sorry, but Oprah. It was probably unavoidable given the deference and adulation she receives on a daily basis, but she's become a ridiculous megalomaniac.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 12

I don't watch a lot of these shows or networks, so I don't get the chance to be annoyed by most of what we might euphemistically call strong personalities. But I agree about Steve Harvey. I've watched the You Tube clips of the craziest game show answers ever, and his prissiness about "dirty" answers really grates. There was one question to the effect of "Name a body part that gets bigger as you get older" and the woman answered "penis." He completely stopped the game to scold her. And don't get me started on his "Act like a lady" book. I heard him on Oprah advising women to hand over the pickle jar to the menfolk, even if they can open it themselves. ugh!

A little of Judge Judy goes a long way with me. She's usually fair except when she goes into her "I'm smarter than you" shtick. It's not too much of an achievement to be smarter than some of the people on her show! And when someone says "um..." how can she infallibly tell the difference between someone trying to lie and someone who's just nervous?

• Love 13

Rachael Ray.  She constantly interrupts & talks over her guests by seeming to know what the guest is talking about.  Why bother having the guest on since she seems to know it all & can tell us?  One guest looked really pissed after she interrupted him. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

And don't get me started on his "Act like a lady" book. I heard him on Oprah advising women to hand over the pickle jar to the menfolk, even if they can open it themselves. ugh!

My mother bought that book and kept pressing me to read it because it's "soooooooo good", but I find Steve Harvey annoying as hell. I once heard him go on about how he hates seeing women dressed for work, but wearing sneakers when they're walking to their jobs. He just moaned about how unsexy that look is and they should be wearing heels. Hell to the no and he can go screw! Women don't exist just to be eye candy, and looking super sexy while drudging to the office early in the morning is probably the last thing on most people's minds. Plus, heels are uncomfortable for lots of women and pounding on the pavement will put lots of wear and tear on the best of them, so saving them for carpeted office is helping them last longer. I wished someone had called him out on that and challenged him to be dropped off and picked up like five blocks from the studios he tapes his shows while wearing heels.

• Love 19

I can't stand Steve Harvey so it pains me to say that I actually agree with him about wearing sneakers while walking to the job.  I remember that was a big thing in the 90s but I didn't know women were still doing that.  I remember one time a woman in my office took her sneakers off and her feet smelled so funky.  There are so many styles of comfortable flats to wear, and that's what I do.   However, I disagree with him that women should wear heels while walking to work.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

There are so many styles of comfortable flats to wear, and that's what I do.

Word.  I own sneakers, and I own stilettos.  And I own lots of shoes that are in between - flats, kitten heels, wedges, loafers.  I wear shoes that are comfortable for walking, yet still appropriate with my business attire, if I need to walk any distance during the work day. 

• Love 2