Type keyword(s) to search

Actors You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

The problem with putting him in All-American hero type roles is that he reads so much as a smarmy douche that I just don't buy him in them.

I haven't followed Wahlberg's career, but this. There was some retrospective show I was watching once where they were talking about '90s songs, and they showed that video for "Good Vibrations", and all these women were talking about how hot Wahlberg looked in the video and everything.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here being turned off by how he so obviously thinks he's hot stuff and his whole "obnoxious frat boy" look.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

The problem with putting him in All-American hero type roles is that he reads so much as a smarmy douche that I just don't buy him in them. It's kind of like how Adam Devine keeps getting cast as the likeable Joe Schmoe next door (similar to Jack Black or Seth Rogen a decade ago) but his face is so incredibly punchable.

I thought all of Adam Devine's characters were smarmy douches.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Meanwhile I'm sitting here being turned off by how he so obviously thinks he's hot stuff and his whole "obnoxious frat boy" look.  

I am perhaps embarrassed about this (or not, I don't have a lot of use for shame), but those Calvin Klein ads really helped me figure some stuff out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Bradley Cooper - I always thought he was a bit dry and humorless but I really went off him during last seasons award rounds with that whole fiasco with Lady GaGa. Don’t get me wrong I found her insufferable but I think that’s par for the course with her. I just think he came off as such a tool. Not to mention disrespectful to his partner and mother of  his child. The whole thing was just so inappropriate and he got so carried away in the praise and popularity of the both of them it’s like he lost touch with reality and how moronic they both ended up coming across.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

OK, this may be an UO but here goes. I'm not quite of the 'can't stand' POV but more of a 'side-eye' one re Demi Moore. Yes, I know she's made some rather sensational claims in her autobio and I'm not disputing any of them. Moreover, I feel sorry for those actual times she was indeed victimized (especially in childhood and adolescence).

However; she seems to have a very high opinion of herself to the point of being utterly humorless. Also, she seems to be unwilling to accept that the time has come to play older characters rather than trying to  pretend she's still the hottest young woman in any room she walks into! Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Jessica Lange and even Cher have managed to keep their careers afloat by embracing playing interesting older characters rather than holding out to keep playing hot ingenues decades younger than their actual ages! Regardless, I hope she finds her peace and learns to deal with her demons via non-destructive means (and I'm glad she and her daughters seemed to have grown closer in recent years despite near tragedies that happened). 

• Love 1

Is it bitchy of me to hope that the rise of Florence Pugh will finally make Chloe Grace Moretz obsolete? I think she's going to wind up having the acclaimed career that people thought Chloe was going to have.

I can't really explain it, but god I cannot stand Chloe. Hollywood's determination to make her a thing when she's flopped so many times is absolutely inexplicable to me.

However; she seems to have a very high opinion of herself to the point of being utterly humorless. Also, she seems to be unwilling to accept that the time has come to play older characters rather than trying to  pretend she's still the hottest young woman in any room she walks into! Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Jessica Lange and even Cher have managed to keep their careers afloat by embracing playing interesting older characters rather than holding out to keep playing hot ingenues decades younger than their actual ages!

When she was in her late 40's, she starred in a movie called Keeping Up with Jonses, about a fake family funded by marketers to product place in a real neighborhood. Her character said something about eventually wanting her own real kids and family, and I was like, "What? Am I supposed to pretend this woman isn't nearing 50?"

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Is it bitchy of me to hope that the rise of Florence Pugh will finally make Chloe Grace Moretz obsolete? I think she's going to wind up having the acclaimed career that people thought Chloe was going to have.

I can't really explain it, but god I cannot stand Chloe. Hollywood's determination to make her a thing when she's flopped so many times is absolutely inexplicable to me.

So are you saying she the Sally Kirkland of the New Millenium? Yeah Miss Kirkland is okay but despite her onetime Oscar nomination Anna (1987), I've never considered her 'all that' despite Hollywood trying to hype her for decades. 

• Love 1

As the trailer to The Prom reminded me, James Corden.  Even if his "awww, shucks, I'm just a goofball" persona wasn't just an act, I'd still dislike him, but knowing how nasty he is off-camera just pushes it into utter loathing.

• Love 3
On 1/14/2020 at 12:37 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Hollywood's determination to make her a thing....

But that's not really happening, though. While she still has movies and TV shows on her IMDB page, they are not big projects. Marvel and DC aren't knocking on her door. She's not being offered any other big blockbusters. She mostly acts in small projects.

• Love 1

Well, IMO Jon Voight seems to have joined the 'better to be silent and be thought of as a dim fool than to speak and be thought of as an alarmist  and inane kook' club. I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Well, IMO Jon Voight seems to have joined the 'better to be silent and be thought of as a dim fool than to speak and be thought of as an alarmist  and inane kook' club.

Just joined?  Nah, he's been in that club so many years I'm pretty sure he's on the Board.

• LOL 7
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Just joined?  Nah, he's been in that club so many years I'm pretty sure he's on the Board.

Well, IMO the latest stuff put out Mr. Voight was a bit much- even for him!

He and the-then child performer Ricky Shroder starred in the 1979 remake of The Champ!  If those two  ever decided to do a sequel, they could call it The Chumps

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm not sure this is the place to post, because it's not that I can't stand her, but Emily Blunt is one of the dullest--if not the dullest--actresses I've ever seen.   

Granted, I've only seen her in a few movies--Sicario, The Girl on The Train, and A Quiet Place, but in all of those movies she was just.....dull.  And she always looked bored. 

Edited by Crashcourse
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2020 at 12:56 PM, starri said:

As the trailer to The Prom reminded me, James Corden.  Even if his "awww, shucks, I'm just a goofball" persona wasn't just an act, I'd still dislike him, but knowing how nasty he is off-camera just pushes it into utter loathing.

You have a looooooooooooot of company 😄   Like all of Twitter would agree with you me included LOL

• LOL 2

Cate Blanchett. Not only is she not a good actress but she is a big supporter of Roman Polanski & Woody Allen. She even named her one son after Polanski. Anybody who supports them gets a thumbs down from me. Same goes for Jodie Foster and her unwavering support for Mel Gibson. It makes me question their mindset. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/11/2023 at 10:21 PM, BlueSkies said:

Matt Broderick.  Ferris Bueller the one movie I used to like of him hasn't aged all that well imo.  And wasn't there that story of him killing some people driving in Ireland?  

He was involved in a fatal car accident in Ireland, yes.

• Useful 1
On 3/11/2023 at 7:21 PM, BlueSkies said:

Matt Broderick.  Ferris Bueller the one movie I used to like of him hasn't aged all that well imo.  And wasn't there that story of him killing some people driving in Ireland?  

Jennifer Grey's book does not paint him in a good light. (They were engaged, so she certainly has inside knowledge on his character.) While I love the movie Ferris Bueller, I really had a hard time with Matthew after reading her take.

• Useful 5
On 4/28/2019 at 10:31 AM, ramble said:

As does Johnny Depp, who I actively avoid in any movie. 

On 5/4/2019 at 10:43 PM, Mabinogia said:

I didn't like him back in the day, when he was the "hearttrob", think Jump Street, Edward Scissorhands

On 5/5/2019 at 4:08 AM, andromeda331 said:

I didn't like him back then either or now. 

Where have you all been all this time? 😁 I've never been able to stand Depp, even way back in his 21 Jump Street days, where I recall he said out loud that he thought that show was beneath him. I have managed to not to see any of his movies since. The movie judgement and shock I would get from people around me when I said I didn't like him was crazy – he was so beloved (and apparently still is for many).

• Like 3
8 hours ago, pancake bacon said:

Where have you all been all this time? 😁 I've never been able to stand Depp, even way back in his 21 Jump Street days, where I recall he said out loud that he thought that show was beneath him. I have managed to not to see any of his movies since. The movie judgement and shock I would get from people around me when I said I didn't like him was crazy – he was so beloved (and apparently still is for many).

I've had the same reaction. After awhile I started to keep quiet. I have seen a lot of his movies because my best friend was and still is a huge Depp fan. When ever it was her turn to pick the movie it was Depp. I've always thought he was an ass starting with 21 Jump Street and it never changed. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Reese Witherspoon - I think she’s a great business woman but as a person she just strikes me as self important and a bit of a bitch. 

Second this. I think Witherspoon's a darn good businesswoman, a darn good actress, and I appreciate the strides she* is making to improve working conditions for girls and women in Hollywood. 

But if I'm being honest, if I had to spend more than 5 minutes in her company, I'd clock her in her ping pong ball chin. So much of what she says reeks of distinctly Southern passive aggression and undue superiority, and it drives me up the wall. FFS, Reese, women from other parts of the U.S. also wear make-up when they go out and write "thank-you" notes! It's not restricted to the South, stop implying it is! 

I've lived in the South since I was 7, and, trust me, there are plenty of Southerners who are rude slobs!

*Among many, many, many other women, please don't think I'm overlooking them.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, greekmom said:

Brie Larson. Daisy Ridley.  Can't stand either of them. 

I thought I was on my own with Daisy Ridley. She was on Graham Norton a few years ago and I thought she came off so arrogant. She clearly thought she was the funniest guest on the couch yet her stories were so dull.

• Like 3

At this point Ali Wong.  I use to LOVE her but ever since her last special Don Wong and her announcement of her divorce she's starting to get a bit annoying and not the down to earth comedian that I loved.

*sigh*

• Like 1

Wont say I like or dislike ether way, but I just don't get the big deal about Timothée Chalamet🤔

The new Dune was so boring! He always has the same expression. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Jenna Ortega

Co-sign.

And just because I think it bears repeating every year.  Amy Schumer.  She's been upgraded from garden variety unlikable to straight up garbage person flames-on-the-side-of-my-face unlikable.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

And just because I think it bears repeating every year.  Amy Schumer.  She's been upgraded from garden variety unlikable to straight up garbage person flames-on-the-side-of-my-face unlikable.

She has always been that way for me, but yeah!

• Like 2
On 11/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, DearEvette said:

Co-sign.

Her bitterness about Barbie was not a good look for her, at all. I was a fan of hers (I really loved Trainwreck and enjoyed Snatched and I Feel Pretty) but I think her antics around that firmly pushed me off. Maybe take a cue from Anne Hathaway who was also supposed to play Barbie and move on?

I don't think I'd like being around Reese Witherspoon, but I will say she's done a lot to make sure that women aren't just tossed aside as soon as they turn 40 and can't play the hot young love interest next to her middle aged male co-star. So there's that.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Her bitterness about Barbie was not a good look for her, at all. I was a fan of hers (I really loved Trainwreck and enjoyed Snatched and I Feel Pretty) but I think her antics around that firmly pushed me off. Maybe take a cue from Anne Hathaway who was also supposed to play Barbie and move on?

I don't think I'd like being around Reese Witherspoon, but I will say she's done a lot to make sure that women aren't just tossed aside as soon as they turn 40 and can't play the hot young love interest next to her middle aged male co-star. So there's that.

Funny.  I was just going to post in another thread about Anne Hathaway but here seems like a good excuse to respond.  I was just thinking how I recently saw Eileen and if this is how Anne Hathaway is pivoting from her ingenue days I am here for it.

• Like 1

Anne Hathaway is in basically the third stage of her career- first Disney ingenue, then hot young leading lady gunning for an Oscar, and now she's heading into what is usually the "Mom to a teenager" stage of her career. Which she is doing, but Elieen is a nice counterbalance to that type of role.

Anne also seems to be embracing a lot of tv mini-series work, which is smart.

• Like 1