Type keyword(s) to search

Actors You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

Getting back to Seth Rogen ...   Do you remember when Hollywood actors behaved professionally in public?   It wasn't that long ago.  I think actors and actresses used to understand that they are role models and have a social responsibility to maintain a higher standard of decorum, at least in public.    The whole world's watching, right?   And it used to be that their careers depended on their public image. 

I thought about that today when I read this article on Access Hollywood about Seth Rogen's appearance on Howard Stern:

Seth Rogen and James Franco are speaking out about the Sony hacking scandal and pointing the finger at media outlets reporting on the stolen information.

"The Interview" is about a celebrity tabloid TV show host and his producer who attempt to assassinate Kim Jong-un. The stars told Howard Stern they are unsure who is behind the hacking.

"No one has definitely told us that North Korea is who did that… one day I'm like, 'It's f***ing for sure them,' the next day, I'm like, 'There's no way it’s them.' It seems, I dunno, too savvy or something like that… It could just be a hacker group," Seth said on "The Howard Stern Show" on Monday.

Beyond who infiltrated Sony, Seth is most concerned that the information, including his and James' salaries for the movie, is being reported in the news.

"The fact that I'm talking about this is f***ing weird. It's stolen information. I think it is f***ed up that anyone's talking about it and I'm OK talking about my s*** because I don't care that much and the stuff that was stolen from me," he continued. "On the grand scale it is not that bad, but it is f***ing stolen!"

And it used to be that their careers depended on their public image. 

I don't know about "role models," but there used to be standards of professional decorum. (Of course, the studios used to control the actors' public images -- not to mention their private lives -- to a greater extent.) It wasn't that long ago that actors had to behave themselves in public, or they'd lose their jobs.

Actually, it's probably still true that their careers depend on their public images. It's just the nature of the image that's changed; maybe to be hip in the 21st century, one has to cultivate an image of seen-it-all cynicism, entitlement, and disengagement. Believing in anything, other than oneself, of course, is desperately passé. Rogen's not arguing for a principle, in the interview quoted above. He's just mad that his information -- his stuff -- was stolen.

(Of course, it also wasn't that long ago that anyone in public life had to be relatively articulate. Rogen's hardly the worst example, but, take out all the four-letter words and there's not much left of his rant, above.)

Edited by Sandman
Believing in anything, other than oneself, of course, is desperately passé. Rogen's not arguing for a principle, in the interview quoted above. He's just mad that his information -- his stuff -- was stolen.

I have no gripe with what he said, but how he said it.   This is a man who sees himself as worthy to sit before Congress, yet he can't express some simple thoughts without peppering them with vulgarities?

I do feel they are role models, sad to say.   Kids see these guys, look up to them.   I know our society is in the toilet these days.  Everybody has a guttermouth (and I'm no saint either).   But when celebrities and public figures start going on record sounding as coarse and ignorant as the people who go to their films, it feels like we've lost something and will never get it back.

Adding John Barrowman and Elizabeth McGovern to my list.

I agree 100% about John Barrowman.  His 'acting' drives me up the wall.  Couldn't stand him in Doctor Who, and he was the reason I never even tried watching Torchwood.  Oddly enough, he was perfectly charming in the interview he did for the retrospective about the Second Doctor for the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who; his story about telling his mum when he first saw the Doctor's Scottish companion was both funny and touching.  So maybe it's the character of Jack Harkness whom I can't stand, but since I've never seen John Barrowman as any other character, the two are inextricably linked in my mind.

• Love 2

@proserpina65, my problem with John Barrowman is that he is always John Barrowman. The first I saw him was actually as an HGTV host. I am a Doctor Who fan and saw him as Jack Harkness, and he was essentially himself. I did not like Torchwood because I did not like him.

• Love 1

I don't like Keira Knightly. I don't hate her, and I still love Pride and Prejudice and Anna Karenina.

However, I soured so much after her quotes about anorexia and her yearly budget. Nothing she said was blatantly heinous. I just firmly disagree with her way of expressing herself. I'm glad she saves money and isn't eating disordered, but I dislike the way she went about responding to related questions. The same goes for Mila Kunis and her comments about weight for filming Black Swan.

I also used to really dislike Kaley Cuoco after seeing her in 50 ways to date my teenage daughter or whatever it was called. However, once I saw her in BBT, I realized it was just her character I didn't like. I like her now.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1

For some reason I get these two confused all the time. But I mostly don't like any of there movies, with a few exceptions like 50 first dates.

Ben stiller and Adam Sandler: One is a man-child and the other just has shit happen to him all the time.

I haven't read the whole thread, but just seeing Patricia Heaton makes me want to throw something at the tv. I can't think of any actor I hate more than her.

Sometimes it's hard to separate an actor from their politics.  I have that problem with Patricia Heaton, just like I did with John Wayne.

• Love 4

Sometimes it's hard to separate an actor from their politics.  I have that problem with Patricia Heaton, just like I did with John Wayne.

I don't like the politics of John Wayne, Chareston Heston, Clint Eastwood or Arnie Schwarzenegger, but I still enjoy their movies.

• Love 2

I have a very negative reaction to even hearing Jon Cusack's name. I cannot stand him. I can't recall a single movie in which I've enjoyed him and he is a gaping black hole of suck in movies that I otherwise like, furthering my dislike of him. I don't know what it is about him...whether it's his chipmunk face or his choppy affected, stuttery line delivery, I just cannot handle him. If he's the lead in a romantic movie? Fucking forget about it.

Words cannot express how thrilled I am that it appears that he is not in Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

• Love 1

I have a very negative reaction to even hearing Jon Cusack's name. I cannot stand him. I can't recall a single movie in which I've enjoyed him and he is a gaping black hole of suck in movies that I otherwise like, furthering my dislike of him. I don't know what it is about him...whether it's his chipmunk face or his choppy affected, stuttery line delivery, I just cannot handle him. If he's the lead in a romantic movie? Fucking forget about it.

Words cannot express how thrilled I am that it appears that he is not in Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

I feel the same way.  Funny thing is, I liked him in the first movie I saw him in, "Say Anything."  Then after that, for some reason, I started really disliking him.  Maybe it's the stupid look he gets on his face, and maybe it's his line delivery.  All I know is, I can't stand the sight of him. 

I guess some people consider Adam Carolla an actor, and I loathe him.

Me, too. I think he's talentless, witless misogynist. So, "in fifty years, we'll all be chicks", eh, Adam? As a woman, I have to ask: What the ever-loving fuck is wrong with that, you ignorant jackass?!

• Love 1

While I wouldn't say I can't stand them, I am definitely tired of seeing them:  

Chrissy Tiegen:  So-called "supermodel" and John Legend's wife.  Famewhore with chipmunk cheeks.

Idina Menzel:  I'm so sorry John Travolta screwed up her name (she isn't). 

• Love 5

I don't hate Angelina Jolie, but I just can't past her heavy kissing with her brother.

Well, that has been explained- Angelina and James Haven were comforting each other because they had spent the day with their mother, who had gotten sick with and would eventually die of cancer. Of course, that's not the only picture of them kissing.

I still cannot stand Bella Thorne, and I'm pissed that she is in the new Scream t.v. reboot. Ugh.

• Love 1

Kevin McKidd.  For whatever reason, I am repulsed by him.  I think it is partly because he seems dim-witted.  

Zoe Saldana and Jennifer Morrison.  Are these women supposed to be at all talented?

I just realized I dislike (intensely) three Australian movie stars: Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, and Hugh Jackman.  I never relate to Kidman, Blanchett practically ruins the Lord of the Ring movies, and Jackman as Wolverine has about as much charisma as a very hairy. wet noodle.

I honestly don't think I can stomach Pitch Perfect 2, and I liked the first movie, because everybody's saying they turned it into Fat Amy and the Bellas. Rebel Wilson makes my skin crawl. I think she's like Russell Brand- everybody thinks they're funny because they've got accents!

• Love 3

I honestly don't think I can stomach Pitch Perfect 2, and I liked the first movie, because everybody's saying they turned it into Fat Amy and the Bellas. Rebel Wilson makes my skin crawl. I think she's like Russell Brand- everybody thinks they're funny because they've got accents!

I saw it this weekend, and while there is more Fat Amy than in the first film, I wouldn't say that it's Fat Amy and the Bellas.  But if you really dislike Rebel Wilson this much, yeah, it's probably not the movie for you.

• Love 1

Woody Allen tops my list of despised actors.  I'm ashamed to say I've accidentally watched one of his movies (Vicky Christina Barcelona) without realizing it - didn't enjoy it and hated finding out it was one of his.  Can't get past the step daughter thing and he's always creeped me out.

Next on my list has to be Jack Nicholson - he's just weird and looking at him makes me want to shower to get the dirt off!

So many others already mentioned I agree with - Seth Rogan, Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller.  I don't think any of them are particularly funny.

Loathe loathe LOATHE Jack Nicholson.  He's is absolutely number one on my hate list and has been for decades.  So cocky and creepy and full of himself and people just fawn over him.  Gross!

• Love 2
(edited)

Chrissy Tiegen:  So-called "supermodel" and John Legend's wife.  Famewhore with chipmunk cheeks.

She co-hosted the Billboard Music Awards this year, and she said something about "banging my husband" on stage when she mentioned what she was famous for in her introductory speech. Classy. I mean, better there than at the Grammys, but have a little self-restraint. She was so annoying throughout the night; I felt bad for John, honestly.

That said, she is responsible for a favorite gif of mine, a look which seems to suggest, "I just crapped myself sitting here, but I can't get up right now. I'm screwed." LMAO.

Chrissy-Teigen-Golden-Globes-Cry-Face-GI

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

I've made fun of Kristin Stewart before even though I had only seen bits & pieces of a couple of Twilight movies & some hysterical parodies on YouTube. Well, I also saw Snow White & the Huntsman on late night tv once, but didn't really pay attention to much other than the scenery. However this past week, due to an unfortunate agreement with my kid, I watched all five Twilight movies. Wow.

Stewart is so amazingly bad I was actually surprised. It's not just the mouth breathing, her acting range is defined by the extent her mouth is open. I agree with what was mentioned upthread about her two stock expressions being bored or confused. I might also add checked out because she appears too dumb to understand. She also seems to "act" by twitching her face. I kept thinking she needed to go to the bathroom when she was attempting to emote. She often seems to be thinking to herself instead of paying attention to the scenes going on around her. I imagine she's thinking deep thoughts about how hard it is to swallow with your mouth open. By the end of the last movie I was wishing violent thoughts such as Bella getting torn to pieces by the vampires, chewed up by the werewolves & then her remaining parts being thrown into the ocean to be finished off by fish.

• Love 4

Me too! Although I do think Chris is better than Liam. Also, I don't see the physical appeal of either of them. Chris, especially, has a rather "lunkhead" sort of look.

• Love 2

Ever since the Fug Girls pointed out that Liam only makes one face in his movies, that's all I see.

This.

I can see why Chris gets roles and adulation because he has charisma and is not a bad actor. Liam is talentless and just lacks screen presence.

• Love 4
(edited)

Dichen Lachman. I don't know precisely what it is about her that makes me grit my teeth. Maybe it's her crappy acting or maybe I just have a visceral reaction to her face, because I want to punch it every time it pops up on my screen. I just finished a Fringe rewatch & thought I'd try something different so I started watching The 100. I went in blind & didn't know anything about the show other than the bare bones premise. I was cruising along folding laundry one evening & who shows up? Dichen Lachman. Float me.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 2
(edited)
I started out being pleased for Robert Downey Jr's career resurgence, despite never thinking much of Iron Man. But that quickly grew into annoyance, and he's been insufferable for some time now.

I was pleased that he got over his drug habit, but I thought Hollywood gave him too much of a chance and too many plum roles at the expense of other, more deserving actors.  I cannot stand him now. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, you wouldn't think he'd have gotten so arrogant, although his persona (which is really just his own personality imo) has shown itself in movies before, when everyone thought he was a character actor. He's basically that same smug, wisecracking guy in movies like Only You and Home for the Holidays, but not as many people saw those back then. He's probably always had this attitude.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3