Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Had no idea SJP played Annie as a child.

I didn't either. I guessed Dolly. 

I did know PT-109 and guessed Anne Rice. I thought there would have been some acknowledgement of Rice's recent death edited in.

• Love 4

For some reason, I am really sad that no one got PT109. I swear I read a kid's book about JFK when I was in elementary school so that stuck with me. I never thought in all my 50 years, I would be almost apoplectic yelling "PT109!!!!!!!" to my TV over and over...

Then again, for FJ, I half yelled out "Mame???" 

Eh..I guess I was wrong....but still glad Amy carried it through...

• Love 5

January 11:

67% / 50% / 57%

Ran Stripes and missed one Star and one JFK.

Fun fact: my cats were named Stars and Stripes.

Ran nothing in DJ but; missed one in Victorian...

My only TS was Anne Rice.

Did not get FJ because I know nothing about Ethel Merman except her voice (and that's more from people parodying it than actually hearing it) and I forgot that Sarah Jessica Parker was in Annie. Felt dumb when it was revealed.

I laughed out loud at Ken's reaction to Amy's pronunciation of Diplodocus. "Sure." Was not expecting that.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I somehow got the idea that they were looking for the name of two different characters that each of them had played. So even though I couldn’t think of any Annies besides Annie and Oakley, I went with that.   Fortunately.

After going back and reading the clue, I can see where I was wrong, but I can also see why I thought that. 

The clue:

Each in a show that ran more than 2 years, Ethel Merman & Sarah Jessica Parker played 2 different characters with this first name

• Love 3

I've been on an "Annie Get Your Gun" kick for a little while, listening intermittently to versions of favorite songs from different recordings, so that was good luck.  I didn't know what role SJP played on Broadway, although once they said it I remembered (funny how that works!), but I decided that was really THE Ethel Merman role they were most likely to ask about.  Others, I thought, were too obscure or unlikely for there to be another character with that name (like Dolly or her character in "Anything Goes," Reno).  Turns out hours wasted away listening to the same songs pay off pays off!  At least Amy's guess was informed. "Mary" is I guess at least a common name, but "Melissa" was ridiculous.

Amy looked really strong today.  I find it fascinating to watch the other contestants after she gets a late DD, for instance.  Sometimes they seem to be having a great time clapping along.  Other times they look like deer in the headlights, or even downright sour.  I really try not to judge them: how would I feel if I fulfilled a lifelong ambition and ended up getting steamrolled?  But sometimes I think it wouldn't kill them to do as I was taught when I was on TV quiz bowl (hardly the same situation, I know) and in other settings, and display a bit more warm sportsmanship.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

J! seems to have corrected it, so likely an archive typo.

I got Springsteen not because I recognized the song (I'm crap at lyrics out of context), but because it sounded like the wordy songwriter that he is (love him though). McCartney was a duh for me.

I don't have an art background, but even though I know a fair bit about him, I could not come up with him. The mister did, and he has pretty much zero art background. Sigh...

I knew Napoleon was too early, so I went with Napoleon III. LOL.

Me too! That was one creepy episode.

I did pretty well, almost ran the Hugo awards. Missed Delaney, I was too absorbed in his beard, I think.

If they hadn't had Phil Collins' picture, I would never have guessed that category - who knew Phil collected Alamo stuff?

On all, it was pretty decent day. I don't think I got anything in Banks, but I really liked the Madrid bank.

Samuel R. Delaney, known as Chip to friends, taught a creative writing seminar I was in about 20 years ago. In addition to being a great writer and mentor, I will always remember him as a gentleman. Our class was evenings, and got out at 10 pm. I was the only woman in the class and I had to walk all the way across campus. After the first night when he found that out, he started parking in the lot by my dorm instead of right outside the classroom as he was allowed to. It gave him an excuse to walk me across campus and make sure I got there safely. He never made a fuss about what he was doing and I finished the walk without him. But somehow by the time he could get his car unlocked I would always be inside the building! It also gave us more time to talk about writing each night. I've always really appreciated that time in my life and his kindness. He was Black and gay and a science fiction writer during times science fiction rarely admitted either type of person existed and he spoke with grace and wisdom about how that affected him. And seeing him tonight brought all that back. Needless to say, he was an instaget.

• Love 22
47 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I somehow got the idea that they were looking for the name of two different characters that each of them had played. So even though I couldn’t think of any Annies besides Annie and Oakley, I went with that.   Fortunately.

After going back and reading the clue, I can see where I was wrong, but I can also see why I thought that. 

The clue:

Each in a show that ran more than 2 years, Ethel Merman & Sarah Jessica Parker played 2 different characters with this first name

I had the same confusion -- I think the clue should have been more like "Two different characters in two different shows with this same first name, one played by Sarah Jessica Parker and the other by Ethel Merman". I'm not sure whether the fact that the show ran more than 2 years is helpful enough to try to wedge in. SJP was the 3rd Annie, each was in the role for about a year. Ethel Merman played Annie Oakley for the full run except for vacations.

Rose came into my head first but I couldn't think of any other Roses and luckily thought of the name Annie in time. I thought Amy might come up with it but of course she didn't actually need to to remain champion.

I like Amy but I do get more interested in the outcome when it's not a runaway.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I had the same confusion -- I think the clue should have been more like "Two different characters in two different shows with this same first name, one played by Sarah Jessica Parker and the other by Ethel Merman". I'm not sure whether the fact that the show ran more than 2 years is helpful enough to try to wedge in. SJP was the 3rd Annie, each was in the role for about a year. Ethel Merman played Annie Oakley for the full run except for vacations.

Rose came into my head first but I couldn't think of any other Roses and luckily thought of the name Annie in time. I thought Amy might come up with it but of course she didn't actually need to to remain champion.

I like Amy but I do get more interested in the outcome when it's not a runaway.

Yeah, I think my lack of Broadway knowledge worked in my favor here. Annie was the only name off the top of my head that was a character in more than one show. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Samuel R. Delaney, known as Chip to friends, taught a creative writing seminar I was in about 20 years ago. In addition to being a great writer and mentor, I will always remember him as a gentleman. Our class was evenings, and got out at 10 pm. I was the only woman in the class and I had to walk all the way across campus. After the first night when he found that out, he started parking in the lot by my dorm instead of right outside the classroom as he was allowed to. It gave him an excuse to walk me across campus and make sure I got there safely. He never made a fuss about what he was doing and I finished the walk without him. But somehow by the time he could get his car unlocked I would always be inside the building! It also gave us more time to talk about writing each night. I've always really appreciated that time in my life and his kindness. He was Black and gay and a science fiction writer during times science fiction rarely admitted either type of person existed and he spoke with grace and wisdom about how that affected him. And seeing him tonight brought all that back. Needless to say, he was an instaget.

What a lovely memory. I was not familiar with Delaney but when I looked him up I discovered that I had in fact read his aunts' story Having Our Say.

• Love 4

Ugh, not my night!

I usually do well at guessing (sometimes knowing, but often guessing based on the clue) where businesses are located, but I only came up with two this time.  Missing three was pretty much my MO in the first round - I also only came up with two each in TV shows and stars.  I ran 4S and stripes and missed one in Kennedy (I joined the contestants in being stumped by his boat - I knew it was PT-something, but could not come up with the number).

In DJ, my MO was missing two per category; geography is normally a strong category for me, but I missed two there and in books, falling, and Victorian.  Instead of being better in the others, I was worse; I missed all but one in DDS and three in movies.  Didn't run a damn thing.

FJ was an instaget (well, another instaguess that after further deliberation I figured was indeed correct), at least.

• Love 1

Ughhhh I so misread that FJ question! Broadway Musicals is my #1 category. I should have had this. I thought the clue was asking for two different characters that they each played, so I immediately thought “Gypsy and Dolly, easy!” …and then realized when Ken gave the correct answer that the clue said Sarah Jessica Parker and for some reason my mind confused her with Bernadette Peters🤦‍♀️ 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

She was 14, hardly a child

14 is hardly a child?  Kids sure grow up fast where you are.

I like Amy but am finding it very difficult to stay invested.  When she was a million miles ahead and the category for Final was Broadway related, I figured there was no point in sticking around for the end since the only thing I know about Broadway is that I know or care nothing about it.  I'd like to see a new winner, but even a couple non-runaway games would be more interesting.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I think it was in "Dangerous Visions" that Harlan Ellison said SRD was called "Chip."  I was wondering, as the clue appeared, if they would have accepted "Chip Delaney" as correct.  Lucky you! What a great story!!

I missed Tuesday's show due to the condo board meeting, but checking FJ at "thejeopardyfan.com," I thought first of Gypsy and tried to figure out what character named Rose SJP played. Then Annie dawned on me, but I don't think I would have gotten it in time. ("Annie dawned on me" - as in the sun'll come up...god, I hate that song.)  I adore Bernadette Peters, but I have the Bway cast album of the revival of Annie Get Your Gun with her as Annie and she's got the worst accent I've ever heard.  I understand when she left the show, Reba McIntyre took over and THAT I can see.

• Love 3

Only two ts's for me: PT-109 (thank you, Jimmy Dean) and penny black.

Broadway musicals are not a strong category for me.  I came up with Dolly, thinking Ethel Merman played Dolly Levi and Sarah Jessica Parker might have played Dolly Madison in Hamilton.   She did not, but that was my thinking.

• Love 3

I got Penny Black because it was a clue in an old episode of Only Connect that I just watched on YT. That show is extremely challenging, and maybe impossible for anyone who didn't grow up in the UK or live there a long time, but it feels great when you get a connection.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Shocked no one knew PT 109. Are we beyond the era where everyone knows every detail about JFK and the Kennedys

I was in 7th grade when JFK was assassinated and made a scrapbook with all the newspaper clippings. ( which I gave to my son in law who is a hs social studies teacher). 
Then PT 109 was a mandatory read in high school and the movie came out in 1963 so yes, I was screaming PT 109 at the tv screen amazed no one knew it😩 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Ailianna said:

What a nice man, and a lovely story. I haven't read much of his work. I'll have to read some.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Only two ts's for me: PT-109 (thank you, Jimmy Dean) and penny black.

Broadway musicals are not a strong category for me.  I came up with Dolly, thinking Ethel Merman played Dolly Levi and Sarah Jessica Parker might have played Dolly Madison in Hamilton.   She did not, but that was my thinking.

That's exactly how I got to "Dolly." I could see Ethel as Dolly Levi. SJP as Dolly Madison, not so much, but that was my only option.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Shocked no one knew PT 109. Are we beyond the era where everyone knows every detail about JFK and the Kennedys? 

I think we might be. I got it instantly, and was surprised Amy didn't get it.

It was a mediocre night for me. I reverse ran State Your Business (that is, I didn't get a single clue). LOL.

But I did get answers in most categories, so it wasn't terrible. I wasn't blank for most (there were a number where the answer was in my head, but my mouth refused to say it.)

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I reverse ran State Your Business (that is, I didn't get a single clue). LOL.

I love this👆 "reverse ran" 🤣

Mom loved JFK almost as much as she loved Dad. She read a book every few days until Dad died, so when I was growing up we had a wall of book shelves in the den. I can still picture the spine of the book "PT 109."

An article in the NY Times last Sunday quoted Amy: “Now that I’ve been on a streak of my own,” she said, “I’m almost surprised that it hasn’t happened more often.” I posted more here in the "What is...In the Media?" thread.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I adore Bernadette Peters, but I have the Bway cast album of the revival of Annie Get Your Gun with her as Annie and she's got the worst accent I've ever heard.  I understand when she left the show, Reba McIntyre took over and THAT I can see.

I got that album as a birthday present and have always loved it, but you're right, that was quite an accent.  Then again, you should've heard Susan Lucci do it while Bernadette was on vacation.  She tried her best, bless her heart!  Cheryl Ladd and Crystal Bernard, not long off her roll in "Wings," also did it at different times.

14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I'm not sure whether the fact that the show ran more than 2 years is helpful enough to try to wedge in.

I think they were trying to convey that the shows were relatively long-running, not obscure, but it occurred to me that might not come across to someone unfamiliar with Broadway.  If someone's reference points are just a few of the shows that have been going for 10, 20, or 30, that clue might make them look for something lesser-known.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

When I think of Ethel Merman, I immediately hear her singing "There's No Business Like Show Business" in my head, so I went directly to Annie Get Your Gun and then vaguely remembered that SJP was one of the young actresses who played the lead in Annie on Broadway. I'm pretty sure my Mom had the original cast soundtrack for Annie Get Your Gun, which is why it came to me so easily. 

I'm 2/2 in FJ so far this week. It's probably all downhill from here!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Shocked no one knew PT 109. Are we beyond the era where everyone knows every detail about JFK and the Kennedys?  

Had no clue on FJ.  Further SJP as Annie just seems wrong. 

The only other well-known PT boat was the PT-73, but that's from McHale's Navy!

I'm feeling pretty good this week (well, it was only Tuesday...) because I got both TS Finals, Van Gogh and Annie! Yay, I'm smarter than a Jeopardy! millionaire.😆

PS, I guess none of them are familiar with Leonard Nimoy's one-man play Vincent, in which he portrayed Theo Van Gogh.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Spelling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

When I think of Ethel Merman, I immediately hear her singing "There's No Business Like Show Business" in my head, so I went directly to Annie Get Your Gun and then vaguely remembered that SJP was one of the young actresses who played the lead in Annie on Broadway. I'm pretty sure my Mom had the original cast soundtrack for Annie Get Your Gun, which is why it came to me so easily. 

I'm 2/2 in FJ so far this week. It's probably all downhill from here!

I went through exactly the same process, @ProudMary!  And that makes two FJ in a row for me this week.  I've probably jinxed myself now.

The only TS I got, though, was Anne Rice.  I should have gotten PT 109, but I was stuck with, "PT 1-0...ohhhhhhhhhh, time's up."

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I went through exactly the same process, @ProudMary!  And that makes two FJ in a row for me this week.  I've probably jinxed myself now.

The only TS I got, though, was Anne Rice.  I should have gotten PT 109, but I was stuck with, "PT 1-0...ohhhhhhhhhh, time's up."

No FJ jinxes @Browncoat. Let's do this!

I got PT-109. Like others, I was screaming it at the screen. I was very surprised Amy didn't know that one. I also got Anne Rice and Hacks. I love that show! Jean Smart is amazing.

• Love 2

January 12:

Not a terrible game tonight...

77% / 70% / 72%

J!: Ran Let Me In!!, missed one each in Provincial, Chinese Calendar Animals, and War Machine, and two each in the others. Got the TSes of Newfoundland, rat, Give 'em hell (missed DD) and Lakers (I had no clue and literally just threw out the first NBA team that came to mind).

DJ: Ran Authors' Nonfiction and Classic Sitcoms (Fresh Prince is "classic"? I must be getting old), missed one each in Science and Reptilian Words & Phrases, two Royal Women, and five in One Letter Different. Got the TSes of Queen Elizabeth II, Denmark, trilobites (missed DD), Sanford and Son, Edith Wharton, and vipers.

FJ: I might have come up with it if I'd had a little more time; was trying to think of people with a double-S at the end of their name. But alas. 0 for 3 so far...

I can't believe I missed FJ tonight.  I don't know anything about "Lady of the Lake", but I focused on that instead of the Historic American part.  The double S meant nothing to me.  V-8 forehead slap when the correct response was revealed.

But I did get the TS of Newfoundland, rat, Sanford & Son, trilobite, and Denmark.  I would like to thank the Royals thread here at Primetimer for knowing Denmark.

And we got a "genre"!

• Love 5

I didn't have the foggiest clue on FJ.

I got the missed clues of 'give em hell", Newfoundland, Sanford and Son, Paris and parks,, San Marino and Dan Marino, Elizabeth II, vipers, Edith Wharton and Denmark.  I feel brilliant, LOL.

I got the entire categories of sitcoms and provincial right.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4

FJ was an instaget to me - mostly because I have always low-key wondered about/noticed the double S at the end of Douglass, so that was really all I needed from the clue (and then the year seemed reasonable).

Otherwise I feel like if a contestant is just trying to think of a person whose last name ends with SS, it would be difficult to come up with in the time allotted.

That was 31 games for Amy, so tomorrow if she wins, she ties James Holzhauer.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Amy must be getting tired. We went from "Amy's answered 13 of 15 FJs correctly" (or whatever the numbers were) to missing 3 FJs in a row (and I thought FJ was an instaget)!!!

Maybe that's why I did better tonight (if Amy was indeed not so quick on the draw).
Although I did "Reverse Run"™@Clanstarling (means I got zippo) the Sports category of IRON MAN (Mom would have run it for reals) I did get these TSs:

• Give 'em Hell [Harry] (Does it count as a TS if it was a DD?)
  • Rat
  • Snake
  • Sanford and Son
  • Trilobites (I was obsessed with fossils in middle school)
  • Vipers
  • Wharton
  • Denmark

I missed that the FJ clue said the added "S" was a "2nd" S―–not sure if that would've helped, but I really do need to read the FJ clues more carefully. *sigh* 

I loved Emma's Sesame Street story. I bet she was cute as a bug's ear.

I loved Ken's tie.

image.png.40f82727c89b976ab46e2e63c2e26129.png

• Love 5

In this very interesting post from the EP, Michael Davies, he announces that they will begin publishing "daily box scores" with some interesting statistical information, including some that has not been released to the public before about attempts to buzz in.

I appreciate the sense that the EP is sincerely interested in the show for its own sake, which radiates off some of the posts he has been making recently.  He is trying to sell "it's just like a sport! really!" a little too hard for my liking, but that's my baggage.

It will be interesting to see the promotional push he mentions for the ToC in November.  If nothing else, I think this sort of approach gives a new potential focus to the media narrative around the show beyond the not-quite-resolved-yet hosting debacles.  That's got to be a good thing.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4

The Newfoundland TS surprised me a bit, as did no one guessing rat or figuring out parks. 

I was really surprised by the Queen Elizabeth II TS; when I get a royalty clue correct (granted, I said Queen Elizabeth, but would presumably been prompted to BMS, at which point I'd have remembered the II), I figure it's widely known or, as in this case, fairly easy to figure out - even if you don't know the lineage to trace it based on g-g-gf (as I don't), it could only be Elizabeth II or Anne* - a living (as of 2019) woman in the British royal family by blood - and at only $400, I figured it was Elizabeth. (*Right? Or does my knowing so little mean I think it's simpler than it is?)

I never would have predicted the Edith Wharton TS, either; all they had to answer was who wrote The House of Mirth, and I figure one of any three J! contestants can usually do that.

Maybe I'm just cranky, but I had more "Really?" reactions to TS tonight than I typically do.

After last night's disappointing performance, I was on fire tonight.  I got everything in the first round.  In DJ, I only ran sitcoms and one letter different, but other than science - in which I missed three (it should have been two, but I couldn't get Heisenberg's name from my brain to my mouth) - I did very well, missing two in royals, and one each in the other two.

FJ was an instaget (based on the second S at the end bringing him immediately to mind, and then the other details in the clue seeming to fit perfectly [the year and choosing a new last name screamed slavery] and make me confident in my guess), so it was a great game for me all around.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Are the travel expenses covered for contestants?  I think they nee to raise the consolation prizes for second and third place.

They are not covered unless you get to come back. (Amy's not paying for her flights and hotel anymore.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget (based on the second S at the end bringing him immediately to mind, and then the other details in the clue seeming to fit perfectly [the year and choosing a new last name screamed slavery]

This was exactly my thought process, as well. I enjoyed this FJ, because it allowed me to bellow, “I’m smarter than Amy!” when all responses were revealed.

(PS- I’m so not.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I never would have predicted the Edith Wharton TS, either; all they had to answer was who wrote The House of Mirth, and I figure one of any three J! contestants can usually do that.

Embarrassingly, I said Isabel Allende!  Must have been thinking of House of the Spirits, and I obviously didn't notice the 1905 date in the clue.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Give 'em Hell [Harry] (Does it count as a TS if it was a DD?)

Yes. We define "TS" as "a clue in which the correct answer was not given". The fact it's not really a "triple" stumper, because the other 2 players didn't get a chance at it, is not relevant.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Got the TSes of Queen Elizabeth II, Denmark, trilobites (missed DD), Sanford and Son, Edith Wharton, and vipers.

I got all those but trilobites and was shocked they didn't know Edith Wharton wrote "House of Mirth" even if they didn't know about the decorating book.  I still remember she said every room should have some red in it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was really surprised by the Queen Elizabeth II TS; when I get a royalty clue correct (granted, I said Queen Elizabeth, but would presumably been prompted to BMS, at which point I'd have remembered the II), I figure it's widely known or, as in this case, fairly easy to figure out - even if you don't know the lineage to trace it based on g-g-gf (as I don't), it could only be Elizabeth II or Anne* - a living (as of 2019) woman in the British royal family by blood - and at only $400, I figured it was Elizabeth. (*Right? Or does my knowing so little mean I think it's simpler than it is?)

The clue didn't specify British royal family, just that it was Albert's great-great-granddaughter. Victoria and Albert's children spread all over Europe, so if you know too much it might distract you from the most obvious answer. Margrethe of Denmark, Sofia of Spain, and Anne-Marie of Greece are apparently the same generation.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4