Type keyword(s) to search

Kody Brown: Part-Time Father, Full-Time Asshat

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Libby said:

Someone on Reddit posed an interesting question. She asked...

How should Kody have handled it?

He felt that he was called to plural marriage as a young man. He married three women and had several children. Fast forward 15 years and he meets and falls in love with the one and only woman he wants to be with. He doesn't want to leave the other wives because of his lifestyle. So what does he do?

One thing I know is I can't stand Kody and what he did is definitely not right. He treated the first 3 wives and their kids horribly. But, what should he have done? I don't know the answer.

I can say what I feel he currently should do — tell them the truth, even if it means admitting he’s wrong — and has been wrong — about polygamy. But Caveman Kody with those beady, cold eyes can’t be wrong like that. 

Kody needs to come clean that he loves Robyn and Robyn alone, as a wife anyways. He may still care about Janelle, but not in the way he does Robyn. As far as Meri goes, he has told her he’s not interested in anything with her but she’s still there. I don’t think showing off and pretending to be “strong” will lure him back, Meri. 

Christine has obviously figured it all out. It’ll be up to Janelle to figure out if she’s happy living in the current arrangement, or break free like Christine did. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Libby said:

Someone on Reddit posed an interesting question. She asked...

How should Kody have handled it?

He felt that he was called to plural marriage as a young man. He married three women and had several children. Fast forward 15 years and he meets and falls in love with the one and only woman he wants to be with. He doesn't want to leave the other wives because of his lifestyle. So what does he do?

One thing I know is I can't stand Kody and what he did is definitely not right. He treated the first 3 wives and their kids horribly. But, what should he have done? I don't know the answer.

JMO for the good of everyone’s mental health, Kody probably should have just declared his love for Robyn and “left” the other three, once he decided he wasn’t really a polygamist. It would have hurt everyone (or at least some) but at least it wouldn’t have dragged out over a decade.

The ironic thing to me is that would he have done that it probably would have been an end to the show, which would have probably meant an end for Robyn.  I don’t see Robyn staying if Kody didn’t have TLC’s money for all those years.  I mean Robyn might have had to get up before noon and get a job! Kody would be showless and wifeless and for somebody that craves attention so much that probably seems unbearable, so I think it’s one of the reasons he was trying to have his TLC cake and eat it too.

• Like 3
  • Love 16
On 3/24/2022 at 1:12 PM, WhatAmIWatching said:

Didn't Robyn have two giant uhauls just for her house, or am I making that up? All of the wives have so much stuff, I can't imagine how much it has cost them to move it all from place to place.

Yes it was just her family's stuff and it didn't seem organized - remember when she was rooting around in one of the trucks for someone's pillow and new favourite toy? Next time they should look into renting one of those "Pods" that you can choose to load over a few days or weeks, but only use a vehicle to transport them to the next site, so there is not the huge rental cost of parking two trucks on the Plague Prairie for over a month. Also, if you plan in advance you can get better deals on moving costs. Meri had ~50 labelled bins of Christmas ornaments and other stuff. You'd think after the 31st move she'd get tired of hauling them around. My last move I downsized by 50% and it was very freeing.

• Like 4
  • Love 6

Anyone else who'd love to be a fly on the wall in Kodouche Mansion with regard to Mariah moving on as Leon? I highly doubt it's anything positive.... 

In Kody's defence: it cannot be easy, even when you are fully accepting and unconditionally loving. In a way, the person you knew so well disappears and a new one steps out who is the same but not quite.  I guess only people who have experienced this, truly know what it means or how it feels.

Yet we also know how he thinks about certain matters. Based on what I have seen of him, it's my guess that homosexuality is something that he could sort of accept, as long as he isn't too openly confronted with it and can conveniently ignore some aspects. But I honestly believe that accepting his daughter as trans with a whole new identity is a bridge too far. It probably goes against all he believes in and what he thinks is 'normal'. Kody's normal is the conservative notion of a man and a woman marrying and having kids.  Anything else is not as it should be in his book...and I doubt it will change.

• Like 7

Regarding how Kody will feel about Leon - he'll feel how Robyn tells him to feel, I think.  At this point it seems like Kody is so cut off from any of his non-Robyn born kids, he might just look at Leon with befuddled detachment, shrug his shoulders, and go back to crimping his weave.  If he can suggest that Ysabel get on a plane and get her own spinal surgery, then I can't see him even processing that one of his kids wants to be known by another name and identity.  I just don't see him caring, especially since it's clear that he's been finished with Leon's mother for a decade or more.

It would be nice if he proved me wrong, but I guess we'll find out on Season 43, set to air in 2027.

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • Love 9

Kody has been notably absent from social media for a while now. I have wondered if all the backlash he received on social media has anything to do with it? (I think this is very likely considering his huge ego and bad attitude) But it could also be because of Robyn of course. She doesn’t seem to like SM and may have talked him out of it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Kody should be kissing Christine's ass, as she is likely the only reason they are getting paid for another season of the show. The show was dying before Christine added new drama.

• Like 10
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/22/2022 at 7:15 PM, Kellyee said:

Kody should be kissing Christine's ass, as she is likely the only reason they are getting paid for another season of the show. The show was dying before Christine added new drama.

Well, Christine added real drama! That was a welcome change from the constant sitting down and talk frustrations or talk about plans we’re never ever going to do anyway.

I do wonder if this is Christine’s last season on the show. (Or it is indeed the last season for all!) It was about the struggles of 5 people within 1 relationship. We know they have completely fallen apart off-screen but are still pretending to be one. Christine has now officially walked away and moved too. That makes her both on- and off screen no longer part of the family. 

Edited by LilyD
Added last season bit
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

It has been reported that Kody cut his hair. I tried zooming in to see if maybe he just had it back, but it looks like the sides are very short. If he did cut it, he probably looks leaps and bounds better: 

https://okmagazine.com/p/sister-wives-kody-brown-unrecognizable-new-video/

It kinda looks like it might be in one of ponytail hairstyles (Cue Janelle’s growl in between Plexass shills) However, if he did cut it,  I give him kudos Ka-dooz (TM Ramona from RHONY) because I really thought he would rock those 3 strands of hair supplemented with Ramen noodles stapled to his head until the day he died.

I also oddly enjoyed getting a special report just on Kody’s hair.  I feel like it has become the best metaphor of the show.   Every episode, you hope it will be something different, but each time you are highly disappointed and slightly more disgusted looking at it. Thanks @TurtlePower

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

When you’re going bald, it’s probably best to try and accept it,  no matter how much you hate it. Prince William started getting bald as of his early thirties and he fully embraced it in his late 30s.

It definitely looks way better than Kody’s infamous attempts to look young. Not sure what I hate more: Kody’s hair style or those men going bald, grow their hair a little longer and then comb it side ways over their bald spot….

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7
7 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

It has been reported that Kody cut his hair. I tried zooming in to see if maybe he just had it back, but it looks like the sides are very short. If he did cut it, he probably looks leaps and bounds better: 

https://okmagazine.com/p/sister-wives-kody-brown-unrecognizable-new-video/

It really looks like it is shaved on the sides and pulled back what is left.  Hard to tell.  

But for sure, he should have combed or brushed his beard.  My brother carries a special comb for beard and mustache.  I guess when you have a houseful of kids, that might not always be a priority.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

When you’re going bald, it’s probably best to try and accept it,  no matter how much you hate it. Prince William started getting bald as of his early thirties and he fully embraced it in his late 30s.

It definitely looks way better than Kody’s infamous attempts to look young. Not sure what I hate more: Kody’s hair style or those men going bald, grow their hair a little longer and then comb it side ways over their bald spot….

Love it when they hairspray or gel the comb over down and a stiff breeze lifts it like a trap door.

• LOL 20
  • Love 1

Remember when Kootie's brother went with him to see the "one big house" plans?  Said brother looked way better than jackass Kootie.  Bald is beautiful (spoken as one who had a Devon Rex cat.)  He had bald patches on his undersides.  I'd love to get a Sphinx cat someday.  They are hairless, and I think they're adorable!

Combovers look ridiculous IMO.  Just shave it and embrace it, already!

• Like 4
  • Love 4
On 8/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, Sandy W said:

Love it when they hairspray or gel the comb over down and a stiff breeze lifts it like a trap door.

Like the porta-potty "sail" on Tom Hanks' homemade raft in Castaway

• LOL 7

Another thought suddenly popped up re. Coyote Pass…. What if that dream is not dead but very much alive and delayed deliberately?

Delayed to give Kody and Robyn time to figure out what to do with Meri and Janelle and to give Robyn’s kids time to finish college and start their adult life in Flagstaff on the Brown Family Compound at Coyote Pass?? It may seem far fetched but the new business is theirs only and listed to a CP address. We also know how reluctant Robyn is to let any of her kids go, so what better way to keep them close than setting them up on their own compound? And lastly, it would offer Kody a new chance to be patriarch on his own compound surrounded by people who adore him. A dream that was so rudely destroyed by his disobedient wives!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 1
45 minutes ago, LilyD said:

it would offer Kody a new chance to be patriarch on his own compound surrounded by people who adore him. A dream that was so rudely destroyed by his disobedient wives!

But that dream would end when the TLC money dries up and they have to sell Robyn's mansion and the Plagueland to pay off their debts & loans and go back to living in a trailer.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, deirdra said:

But that dream would end when the TLC money dries up and they have to sell Robyn's mansion and the Plagueland to pay off their debts & loans and go back to living in a trailer.

True, but don't know if they can think that far into the future. It may be Robochin's idea/future dream, but the Koduche doesn't seem to like to stay in one place forever.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Oh they could open a Polygamy Theme Park! 

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Every ride requires seating for five.

3 to 1 ratio for female and male bathrooms and a time-out area for the wives to go to when they feel "unsafe" and need to put their "walls up".

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

3 to 1 ratio for female and male bathrooms and a time-out area for the wives to go to when they feel "unsafe" and need to put their "walls up".

Janelle should be assigned her very own bathroom for those times that she has enjoyed a feast of canned cabbage.

• LOL 10

It wouldn’t surprise me if boredom is behind the frantic moving, him marrying 4 wives and the constant adding of kids. He needs something new all the time because he loses his interest so quickly. The best example is the way he bonded with the little ones but seemed to abandon them when they were getting bigger (or a new baby arrived)

Quoting @LilyD above- I can agree with this.

When Kody was younger, with the original 3 wives, he had a lot more patience and they were "busier" (a lot of people have more patience when they are younger, and life with a bunch of little kids can be hectic). By the time Logan was 16, and they were in the Lehi house, life had fallen into a rhythm. With no Robyn, Truley was probably going to be the last baby, and the kids were going to start leaving the nest. The original 3 wives may have looked forward to the next stage (even Meri in her sadness over only having one child) but not Kody!

As far as the kids go, Kody would lose interest in the kids as they got older, because they became independent thinking people, not tiny cute bundles of love that adored him for simply meeting their basic needs. When the kids were capable of critical thinking, and may or may not have shared his interests/agreed with his choices, it was hard for them to be close with them. (Compare this to someone like Janelle, who I don't doubt loved/protected/provided for her small kids, but wasn't really interested in them intellectually or emotionally until they became independent thinking people).

• Like 5
  • Love 8
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

Quoting @LilyD above- I can agree with this.

When Kody was younger, with the original 3 wives, he had a lot more patience and they were "busier" (a lot of people have more patience when they are younger, and life with a bunch of little kids can be hectic). By the time Logan was 16, and they were in the Lehi house, life had fallen into a rhythm. With no Robyn, Truley was probably going to be the last baby, and the kids were going to start leaving the nest. The original 3 wives may have looked forward to the next stage (even Meri in her sadness over only having one child) but not Kody!

As far as the kids go, Kody would lose interest in the kids as they got older, because they became independent thinking people, not tiny cute bundles of love that adored him for simply meeting their basic needs. When the kids were capable of critical thinking, and may or may not have shared his interests/agreed with his choices, it was hard for them to be close with them. (Compare this to someone like Janelle, who I don't doubt loved/protected/provided for her small kids, but wasn't really interested in them intellectually or emotionally until they became independent thinking people).

I can totally get on board with this, especially your last paragraph because of personal experience as in my father.  I know it is a small sample and that N should equal more than that, but, if it is true for him and true for me, then it probably can be generalized somewhat I think.  As soon as any of us three exhibited the first independent thought, we were almost dead to him, except he likes to emotionally torture us along the way.  But my father didn't look for more - just dwelled on what he thought he should have.  Interestingly, as much as he was a misery to his children, he was a wonderful grandfather to my two sons.  They loved him and he loved them unconditionally which was saying something since Sweet Son was gay and father Orthodox Jew.  Life is interesting sometimes.

• Like 5
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I can totally get on board with this, especially your last paragraph because of personal experience as in my father.  I know it is a small sample and that N should equal more than that, but, if it is true for him and true for me, then it probably can be generalized somewhat I think.  As soon as any of us three exhibited the first independent thought, we were almost dead to him, except he likes to emotionally torture us along the way.  But my father didn't look for more - just dwelled on what he thought he should have.  Interestingly, as much as he was a misery to his children, he was a wonderful grandfather to my two sons.  They loved him and he loved them unconditionally which was saying something since Sweet Son was gay and father Orthodox Jew.  Life is interesting sometimes.

I am sorry you went through that experience @lookeyloo, and I know this doesn't make it easier, but often people are better grandparents than parents. 1. Less pressure (these people are not direct reflections of them), 2. people are older and learned the error of their ways in a lot of cases. It may be too late with their kids, but they can try with their grandchildren. 

I don't think Kody is the type that wants to emotional torture or hurt his kids, I don't think he is malicious, but I think he is very self centered. And there are many people like him (maybe not to the degree) who wonder why they don't have loving and emotionally intimate relationships with their adult children not realizing that 1. that requires you, the adult putting work in when they are young, 2. people (even your biological children) my have very distinct personalities and different emotional needs that you do, and as such you just aren't that close.

• Like 8

IIRC, Kody and Robyn were courting while Christine was pregnant with Truely. Kody sucks as a husband and dad because he is following this script he wrote, where he is King and everyone steps in line. I think he has complained or whined about every one of his kids, including Ariella because she didn't go to sleep early enough and she liked to sleep with Robyn. And we've all heard his endless bitching about his wives. Kody is straight up an asshole and I doubt if he had a monogamous marriage (before now) it would have survived. Instead he chose a lifestyle where women compete with each other for him.

• Like 4
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

IIRC, Kody and Robyn were courting while Christine was pregnant with Truely. Kody sucks as a husband and dad because he is following this script he wrote, where he is King and everyone steps in line. I think he has complained or whined about every one of his kids, including Ariella because she didn't go to sleep early enough and she liked to sleep with Robyn. And we've all heard his endless bitching about his wives. Kody is straight up an asshole and I doubt if he had a monogamous marriage (before now) it would have survived. Instead he chose a lifestyle where women compete with each other for him.

If Kody had a monogamous marriage he would be on his 5th one. Or maybe 3rd marriage but had kids by 5 different women, with a couple of them realizing he wasn’t worth marrying but wanted a baby and he was there. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am sorry you went through that experience @lookeyloo, and I know this doesn't make it easier, but often people are better grandparents than parents. 1. Less pressure (these people are not direct reflections of them), 2. people are older and learned the error of their ways in a lot of cases. It may be too late with their kids, but they can try with their grandchildren. 

I don't think Kody is the type that wants to emotional torture or hurt his kids, I don't think he is malicious, but I think he is very self centered. And there are many people like him (maybe not to the degree) who wonder why they don't have loving and emotionally intimate relationships with their adult children not realizing that 1. that requires you, the adult putting work in when they are young, 2. people (even your biological children) my have very distinct personalities and different emotional needs that you do, and as such you just aren't that close.

Thank you @Scarlett45 - I hope Kody's offspring continue to move forward with happy productive lives in spite of him.  Or, as my father would have said, to spite him.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Thank you @Scarlett45 - I hope Kody's offspring continue to move forward with happy productive lives in spite of him.  Or, as my father would have said, to spite him.

Living well is the best revenge. 

The Brown kids that are adults seem to be making their way pretty well. I think they see Kody as an example of what NOT to do. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4

I don't think Kody is the type that wants to emotional torture or hurt his kids, I don't think he is malicious, but I think he is very self centered. 

I think Kody is a divorced and remarried man who is more interested in his new family than interacting with his ex-wives or adult children. It's a totally common thing in many families where the parents divorce, remarry, and have a new spouse and new kids. The only thing the Browns cling to as unique is that Kody made kids with 3 women at the same time. And even that isn't all that unique. 

Mykelti seems to visit Kody and Robyn. I hope he has a better relationship with some of his adult kids than we are shown. I think his supposed marriage to Janelle is a total fabrication for the cameras. And I think he likely only sees Meri one day a year, to film what appears to be their awkward annual "date". 

And I don't really put any of this on Robyn. Kody made choices. I don't think Robyn even wants Kody around full time, but she does want total control of the situation. I think Kody is very high maintenance in the house and likely doesn't help with her kids any more than he helped with any of the others.

• Love 10

Kootie acts so childish and churlish, he may just as well be RobChyn's sixth kid.  Of course, he kisses the ground she walks on, at least on camera.

I hope having him all to herself is not what she expected, and they irritate and annoy one another constantly.  They deserve each other.

• Like 5
  • Love 11

I can hardly wait for the day when both Janelle and Meri finally decide to ditch the Kodouche! (Probably when the show is finally cancelled.) Now that would be appointment TV for sure!!

I do worry that this new corporation will cheat Meri and Janelle out of show money.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
On 8/25/2022 at 11:59 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I don't think Kody is the type that wants to emotional torture or hurt his kids, I don't think he is malicious, but I think he is very self centered.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, Kellyee said:

I think Kody is a divorced and remarried man who is more interested in his new family than interacting with his ex-wives or adult children. 

I think it’s a combination of these two things. And I would like to add a very bad midlife crisis as well. A man in his 50s, seeing his life flying by, and realising life hasn’t turned out the way he expected at all. Not to mention the fact that he no longer is a young, handsome demi-god everybody looks up to. His life must be one big disappointment to him and he focusses his frustration on those around him, who are of course to blame for his misery….

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, LilyD said:

I think it’s a combination of these two things. And I would like to add a very bad midlife crisis as well. A man in his 50s, seeing his life flying by, and realising life hasn’t turned out the way he expected at all. Not to mention the fact that he no longer is a young, handsome demi-god everybody looks up to. His life must be one big disappointment to him and he focusses his frustration on those around him, who are of course to blame for his misery….

I think  you are right and I also think that’s a shame.  Why?  Because his life is actually pretty good.  He’s had multiple women who loved him.   He’s got a ton of children who have mostly grown up to be functional happy human beings.  He’s made a ton of money with a reality show after being poverty stricken for years.  Well, that last one - he will probably be poverty stricken again.   

Many men would love to have 1 woman who loved them, one child that was happy and healthy, and a modest home to call their own. 
Yet he acts like a spoiled petulant child. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 7
  • Love 5
Just now, mythoughtis said:

I think  you are right and I also think that’s a shame.  Why?  Because his life is actually pretty good.  He’s had multiple women who loved him.   He’s got a ton of children who have mostly grown up to be functional happy human beings.  He’s made a ton of money with a reality show after being poverty stricken for years.  Well, that last one - he will probably be poverty stricken again.   

Many men would love to have 1 woman who loved them, one child that was happy and healthy, and a modest home to call their own. 
Yet he acts like a spoiled petulant child. 

You are 100% right!! He should count his blessings as he has loads!

Unfortunately, what really matters to him are things like a huge sense of self-importance, adoration and blind obedience. To his absolute horror and frustration, his kids have grown into smart, independent adults who do pretty well (well most of them) following their own paths without his divine guidance…

• Like 4
  • Love 7

None of Kody's outbursts mean anything, because he doesn't love Christine and hasn't for a long time. And she knows it, which is why she gives him the blank-eyed stare when he rants and raves.

I just hope Truely is okay. I am glad she is at least living close to her sisters. I am super curious what Christine offered up to get Kody to let her take Truely to Utah. I can see Kody fighting that out of spite.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I am super curious what Christine offered up to get Kody to let her take Truely to Utah. I can see Kody fighting that out of spite.

I’m betting the thought never entered his mind.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I just hope Truely is okay. I am glad she is at least living close to her sisters. I am super curious what Christine offered up to get Kody to let her take Truely to Utah. I can see Kody fighting that out of spite.

I’m betting the thought never entered his mind.

I doubt the thought entered his mind either. Truely is still young enough that parenting her involves some work so there is no way that he's interested in that. And Robyn isn't going to do that. I guess that would leave the nanny?

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Kody refers to all his children as belonging to his wives - Janelle's kids, Christine's kids, etc. The moms refer to the kids as their kids - my little girl, my boys, etc. I don't think it was ever a thought to anyone in the family that Truely would not move with her mom.

And anyway, Christine leaving was all about Kody, as far as Kody was concerned. He can't see past his own ego to even notice anyone else is having feelings about this.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I doubt the thought entered his mind either. Truely is still young enough that parenting her involves some work so there is no way that he's interested in that. And Robyn isn't going to do that. I guess that would leave the nanny?

And Truely no longer is a cute little infant. Once they're past that stage, Kody generally loses his interest. Robyn is not going to take Truely in. Apparently, she can't even handle her own two youngest without a nanny, let alone a third one. A child that's not even her own.

I do wonder indeed about custody. I actually doubt he is on all the birth certificates as it woud have drawn lots of unwanted official attention to his plyg family, which is something they didn't want (goes for most plug families). And I'm not sure if that's enough for any parental rights in the States? Where I live it is for married couples, but not when you're not married. A father would have to file for his parental rights after the. birth with the mother's consent... 

• Love 3

Christine has all the acknowledgement of parenthood of Kody that she would need.   Whether Kody is listed on the birth certificate or not wouldn't matter at this point.  I, too, doubt that there is a custody agreement because Kody would have to want to parent or have a say for that to matter.  In theory he should pay child support, but was he supporting any of the kids except Robyn's in last few years?

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Yea, he probably knew if he was to fight against Truely leaving the state he'd have to establish paternity, and that would mean child support, so...... Plus it didn't seem like he gave her much attention when she lived there anyway.  Along with most everyone here, my opinion is that he only cared about Christine leaving as far as it was a rejection of his royal highness.  In his mind, Kody is the rejector, not the rejectee.  So realizing someone, especially someone he views as inferior to him, doesn't think he's that great anymore is a major blow to his psyche.  He does not know how to handle that.  Plus, Kody needs turmoil and drama like the rest of us need oxygen so the chance to perform his play, 'The Anguish Of The Betrayed' is irresistible.  As is looking like a lunatic in general. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 10