Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E04: Week 4

ByTor
  • Start Topic

I believe the limitations of what they will show on tv makes every lead read as boring. Sean Lowe is hysterical on his Twitter, but he didn't get to show that side off. So much time has to be devoted to the catchphrases: I see my wife in the room, cheers, can I walk you out?, it's me, not you, family is really important to me, my wife should be my best friend, etc. 

As I said on the thread for the first episode of Matt's season, my daughter's friend, a blonde copywriter from Chicago, was also in the running to be cast. The role of blonde copywriter from Chicago obviously went to Anna, but what gets me about their picking Anna over said friend, was that as part of the casting process included filming them talking from different angles to see how they appear on camera.  Knowing this, I can't understand how Anna got cast with her constant stink face!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
5 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

The resort is beautiful but is sitting around and talking all day really the only thing they can do?

Hey if I had a full month resort spa treatment, I’d love it. Lounging in the sun or at the pool, jacuzzis, surely they have massages, mani/pedis, hair treatments, makeup, good food and drinks, hiking or running trails, state of the art gym etc. Minus all the talking of course, because if I had to converse with Victoria and Anna, there goes my zen. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, dizzyd said:

Hey if I had a full month resort spa treatment, I’d love it. Lounging in the sun or at the pool, jacuzzis, surely they have massages, mani/pedis, hair treatments, makeup, good food and drinks, hiking or running trails, state of the art gym etc. Minus all the talking of course, because if I had to converse with Victoria and Anna, there goes my zen. 

Well, yeah, sure. I'd love it, too. They don't appear to actually be doing any of those things, though...

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Every season , everyone wants a particular bachelor and then when he is the bachelor , he gets labeled as boring , dull , no personality and a terrible bachelor . Every . Single . Season .

Maybe the leads aren’t boring . Maybe the premise of the show is . 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I have been watching the Bachelor since Shannon stepped out of the limo in Season 1. So, I believe I am qualified to say with the utmost confidence that Matt is not “the most boring Bachelor ever.”  He is not even close.  I would hate to have to name names.

Exactly. Ever since Juan Pablo turned out to be a “wild card” they’ve purposely chosen passive, “boring” leads that they can mold to follow the script and not give them any trouble. Someone with too much personality is going to try to run the show their way. Matt is exactly what the producers look for, just like Colton (who I actually just had to Google “virgin bachelor” to remember his name) and Ben Higgins and the like. Hell, the last guys I remember with a “big personality” were way back in the Charlie O’Connell and Bob the blob days. In fact, maybe Charlie ruined it with the partying (body shots!) and by not getting engaged, and they went with the boring guys WAY back then with “the officer and a gentleman” guy, the guy who went on The Doctors, Jake the pilot (who had big personality F1 Vienna, though), and that original Matt (remember him?) whose only discernible “personality trait” was having a British accent.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Well, yeah, sure. I'd love it, too. They don't appear to actually be doing any of those things, though...

It's likely about money. ABC rented the full resort during a pandemic, so I'm sure the resort jumped at the chance for the cash and free advertising. However, the agreement likely involved only the rooms, and three meals (of some sort)/day for each person, and a ton of booze. Chances are, the hotel is not fully staffed during filming, so that likely means there's no daily staff for the spa. Some spa staff would likely be called in if there's a spa date, but that's it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, TiredMe said:

Why not? Go for it

Let’s just say, I thought these guys could have been better:

Bob, Jesse, Prince Lorenzo, English Matt, Jason, Jake, Ben Flajnick, Juan Pablo, Arie and Peter.

Jake and Arie were big disappointments, because I really liked them when they were contestants. A of lot viewers disliked Brad, but I enjoyed both his seasons.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Captain Asshat said:

It's likely about money. ABC rented the full resort during a pandemic, so I'm sure the resort jumped at the chance for the cash and free advertising. However, the agreement likely involved only the rooms, and three meals (of some sort)/day for each person, and a ton of booze. Chances are, the hotel is not fully staffed during filming, so that likely means there's no daily staff for the spa. Some spa staff would likely be called in if there's a spa date, but that's it.

Yes, I get that... My response was in regards to how they aren't shown doing the things that the poster who replied to me said sounded fun. My original post was simply commenting on how we only ever see the women on dates or sitting on couches. It was really just a simple post on watching the women sit around and fight. 

• Love 1

So I wonder if a contestant can sue another person for defamation on this show? I'm sure the show is protected. But are there any consequences to spreading malicious lies? Also if Anna had gotten info on Brittany didn't she wonder where she was on the show? 

P.S. I think adding five already into it is rude and ridiculous. But the mean girl OG thing seemed a bit much. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

No comments on Matt's dancing at the end of the show? Magi's face was cringing with embarrassment. I loved it. Hey Matt, if you're gonna bust a move, do it with music next time. You look like a tool.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, GracieK said:

It’s almost as if she’s on the spectrum. Like Aspergers. 

Please do not insult people on the spectrum by speculating that Victoria, who is obnoxious and rude, and who was described as "pathetic" by another poster has ASD. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Let’s just say, I thought these guys could have been better:

Bob, Jesse, Prince Lorenzo, English Matt, Jason, Jake, Ben Flajnick, Juan Pablo, Arie and Peter.

Jake and Arie were big disappointments, because I really liked them when they were contestants. A of lot viewers disliked Brad, but I enjoyed both his seasons.

Bob was great. Sure he was sleazy, but entertaining. He also had sex with 3 and 1/2 people. How would you even do that? Flapjack was an asshole, fun to bag on. Andrew was drunk all the time which I dug. I liked Brad and his dirty scrilla.  Jason gave us the Mesnick, and Jake doubled down on it with a pilot! Mesnick. I liked Juan Pablo. Arie was fun to bag on too, Peter was a mamas boy with his dramatic mother was fun to snark on. Peter was boring as hell. At least Colton went over a fence like a gazelle. What has this boring guy done for us? Dragging around a bunch of logs like he’s In Rocky 3 and getting revenge for Drago killing Mr T. Or Apollo Creed. I forget who did the killing and who they killed. 

Nah, he’s Peter levels of boring. I think he’s probably nice and sincere, but way too boring. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

I believe the limitations of what they will show on tv makes every lead read as boring. Sean Lowe is hysterical on his Twitter, but he didn't get to show that side off. So much time has to be devoted to the catchphrases: I see my wife in the room, cheers, can I walk you out?, it's me, not you, family is really important to me, my wife should be my best friend, etc. 

As I said on the thread for the first episode of Matt's season, my daughter's friend, a blonde copywriter from Chicago, was also in the running to be cast. The role of blonde copywriter from Chicago obviously went to Anna, but what gets me about their picking Anna over said friend, was that as part of the casting process included filming them talking from different angles to see how they appear on camera.  Knowing this, I can't understand how Anna got cast with her constant stink face!  

100% this . The catchphrases are what producers think we want to see , but it just makes the lead an exact duplicate of all of the others . You can’t differentiate between all these people because they’re all saying the same lines . This is why I like bachelor in paradise better . Less corny one liners , more funny ones and though it’s scripted , it’s not to the same extent and you get to know the contestants more . I can’t stand listening to “ I can see my wife in this room “ and “ I can see myself falling for you “ blah blah blah . That’s what makes the show boring in my opinion . The leads have to follow that every season and it’s just so played out . 

• Love 7

I'm watching this now - haven't read any posts - Ben Higgins just walked in and had his conversation with Matt. Ben is looking pretty good these days. He's not so soft-looking as he used to be. It's like the baby fat is gone and he's grown up. I wonder if he eyed any of the woman, thinking of his own single status.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm watching this now - haven't read any posts - Ben Higgins just walked in and had his conversation with Matt. Ben is looking pretty good these days. He's not so soft-looking as he used to be. It's like the baby fat is gone and he's grown up. I wonder if he eyed any of the woman, thinking of his own single status.

Ben Higgins is engaged, though.  

• Useful 1

A Survivor obstacle course challenge! ABC is pinching from CBS! Except the squirrel costumes seemed more like Big Brother (now I'm hearing Nicole F.'s voice in my head). Survivor-related, the way Victoria keeps on saying "I'm the queen", well the TRUE queen is Sandra from Survivor. 

I think new girl Michelle is very cute and nice. Plus she's from Minnesota! Edina is one of the wealthier suburbs of Minneapolis, home of the first enclosed shopping mall in the USA. 

3 minutes ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

I guess I don't keep up.

• Love 1

I think there may be restrictions on off-camera activities like spa time and stuff like that due to Covid restrictions.

Charlie may have been a skeeve, but he was also fun and lively, and although there was no marriage, he and his final pick, Sara, were together on and off for about five years. Not so bad. Brad was a hottie, but I think because he was SO sincere about the process, they've wanted all the guys to be like that since, and if it's not real, it just makes them duds. Jake was cute but turned out to be such a controlling, and possibly abusive, SOB, that I felt sorry for that swamp schmuck Vienna by the time he was through with her. Juan Pablo's problem was even though he could have been another Charlie, he had the skeeve factor without the charm or fun. The rest were all pretty interchangeable Bland Boys.

Edited by EllenB
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

Maybe they cast her BECAUSE OF her stink face.  Also, the crazy eyes.  Also, the emotional meltdown at every rose ceremony.   Yup, she is perfect.

Edited by Just Carol
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 1/25/2021 at 8:33 PM, nutty1 said:

How do you get time off from teaching to come on The Bachelor??

I was wondering about that, too. The teachers were all teaching last fall in Minnesota. She must have gotten a leave or maybe she's a substitute teacher.

• Useful 1
On 1/25/2021 at 8:54 PM, DEL901 said:

So has Matt kissed all the women except a couple of the new ones....and Victoria.  

He kissed her. Well, she grabbed his face and latched onto his lips.

• LOL 1

Loved Chelsea’s talk about black women and hair and the emotions that went into shaving it off. I don’t believe for a second that any of this sounded surprising to Matt unless he has really distanced himself from his black half.

Like, I don’t love MJ, like, but I don’t like, hate her either. I’ve been like indifferent to her from the start.

More screen time for Victoria being petty and ridiculous. She wanted Katie to apologize for telling her not to be rude and thus restricting her freedom to express herself. Okay. See, that’s why Matt will fish-kiss everyone else but leave plenty of room for the holy ghost when reluctantly hugging you, Victoria.

Speaking of kissing, five new women showed up out of nowhere. Brittany stepped out of the limo and straight into a makeout session, and then immediately became the target of a rumor among the mean girls of the house. Michelle the Minnesota teacher seemed sweet. Something about Ryan. Something about Catalina and a scuffle with Victoria over who gets to be royalty. Some tiara-snatching. Something about…Kymberly?…who didn’t even make it past the rose ceremony that happened moments after she stepped out of the car.

Four of the five new women received roses. I could have sworn flight attendant Serena and Lauren the attorney had been sent home previously, but there they were receiving roses. I’m not convinced Matt is any better at keeping track of contestants than I am. Goodbye, Khaylah. Wish we could have seen you drive off into the sunset in a pickup truck, camera zooming in on your hand expertly working the gearshift as a not-so-subtle dig about what Matt would be missing. 

One-on-one with newby Michelle. I saw a lot of giggling and not much substance during the daylight portion of the date, but Matt seemed quite smitten by the time they sat down for dinner. The dinner discussion about being an educator during a pandemic was a refreshing break from the usual attempts by contestants to make normal life events sound like deep personal traumas.

Magi was adorable out in the water, spinning around in circles long after the other squirrels had scampered away. I feel like kayaking is like one of those racially biased SAT vocabulary words. Not knowing what a regatta is does not mean you are less intelligent than someone who grew up sailing, and not knowing how to paddle a pumpkin does not make you an inferior Bachelor contestant. She’s a pharmacist, for crying out loud! When they cut away from Magi to nightfall and the others enjoying cocktails, I thought they were then going to cut back to her still out there, still spinning. Haha. Magi’s WTF? face during the end credits when Matt was…dancing?…solidified my affection for her.

Chris Harrison: Congratulations Mari, Deez Nuts are yours!

The East Coaster in me shuddered at the sight of the women stomping through the woods with bare legs. Poison ivy! Ticks! Lyme disease!

I REALLY didn’t enjoy the boxing match. Being punched in the face should not be an expectation on a dating show. Fighting for love? WRONG MESSAGE.

Edited by Sheikh Yerbouti
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

Your friend just didn’t have an entree to Chicago’s microscopic dating world. That was her fatal flaw. 

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Please do not insult people on the spectrum by speculating that Victoria, who is obnoxious and rude, and who was described as "pathetic" by another poster has ASD. 

That wasn’t my intention and I did not mean to offend anyone by saying that or imply that all people with ASD behave that way. I have a person in my life who has Aspergers and she actually does say very inappropriate and often rude things and has trouble in social situations - she will say obnoxious things a lot. Victoria’s interaction with Katie and her seeming difficulty processing it is part of what made me speculate that. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sheikh Yerbouti said:

Loved Chelsea’s talk about black women and hair and the emotions that went into shaving it off. I don’t believe for a second that any of this sounded surprising to Matt unless he has really distanced himself from his black half.

Matt's mother is white, and it sounds like his father wasn't in his life much, so he may not have been close to any black women growing up.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Bob was great. Sure he was sleazy, but entertaining. He also had sex with 3 and 1/2 people. How would you even do that? Flapjack was an asshole, fun to bag on. Andrew was drunk all the time which I dug. I liked Brad and his dirty scrilla.  Jason gave us the Mesnick, and Jake doubled down on it with a pilot! Mesnick. I liked Juan Pablo. Arie was fun to bag on too, Peter was a mamas boy with his dramatic mother was fun to snark on. Peter was boring as hell. At least Colton went over a fence like a gazelle. What has this boring guy done for us? Dragging around a bunch of logs like he’s In Rocky 3 and getting revenge for Drago killing Mr T. Or Apollo Creed. I forget who did the killing and who they killed. 

Nah, he’s Peter levels of boring. I think he’s probably nice and sincere, but way too boring. 

Peter was so boring that I actually forgot he existed—and he’s even currently in the media for breaking up with fiancé/girlfriend number 3 from the show! That takes an unbelievable level of boringness that all of that doesn’t even register. Though, to be fair to Peter, it’s quite apparent there was no room to develop a personality in the Webber family with Drama Mama Webber in the house.

Edited by JenE4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, GracieK said:

That wasn’t my intention and I did not mean to offend anyone by saying that or imply that all people with ASD behave that way. I have a person in my life who has Aspergers and she actually does say very inappropriate and often rude things and has trouble in social situations - she will say obnoxious things a lot. Victoria’s interaction with Katie and her seeming difficulty processing it is part of what made me speculate that. 

My son has Asperger’s, and I concur that they can be rude and obnoxious. The only reason why I don’t think Victoria is on the spectrum is because she so easily gets offended herself and demands apologies. Someone like my son “speaks the truth” (according to him—doesn’t tell white lies or force politeness for social niceties) but he also respects other people “speaking the truth” so if you tell me I’m rude, well, okay, I probably am—not going to argue with you about it. (My son has gotten better as he’s gotten older.)

Edited by JenE4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
45 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Peter was so boring that I actually forgot he existed—and he’s even currently in the media for breaking up with fiancé/girlfriend number 3 from the show! That takes an unbelievable level of boringness that all of that doesn’t even register. Though, to be fair to Peter, it’s quite apparent there was no room to develop a personality in the Webber family with Drama Mama Webber in the house.

A bunch of Bachelor people are on Cameo.  For just $59, you can get a Cameo from Barb!   Peter is $149, Kelly is $89.  Even Jorge the bartender is there at $27.   The big dog is Chris Harrison at $472.50. https://www.cameo.com/browse/reality-tv/the-bachelor

Edited by DEL901
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

My son has Asperger’s, and I concur that they can be rude and obnoxious. The only reason why I don’t think Victoria is on the spectrum is because she so easily gets offended herself and demands apologies. Someone like my son “speaks the truth” (according to him—doesn’t tell white lies for social niceties) but he also respects other people “speaking the truth” so if you tell me I’m rude, well, okay, I probably am—not going to argue with you about it. (My son has gotten better as he’s gotten older.)

Thank you for sharing that and I apologize if my comment was offensive - it truly wasn’t my intention. I was going to add something similar to what you said here.. the things the girl in my life will say are often just her being honest and very matter of fact even if it’s not nice or tactful. I guess my speculation was more incredulity that someone could have such poor social skills without an underlying reason - but some people are just not nice and she is clearly one of them.  

• Love 3

I've found that in addition to great drama, the show provides some great hair/makeup inspiration for me.  I like Serena's bright berry lip and Abigail is great at applying a light pink glossy lip and natural looking bronze contour.  Maggy looks great with her curls and dark mascara/ dark cherry lip look.  I liked Mary Ann's smokey bronze eye looks.  I like how a lot of the girls are in reading glasses and undone hair in scenes where they're waiting around for the date cards- they're all naturally pretty even without the lashes and full makeup faces in the rose ceremony.  I do wish that the show would cast more women in their 30's though, especially since the bachelors are usually 30 plus.  I'm in my early 30's and single and I wish that my age demographic was represented more on the show. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

A bunch of Bachelor people are on Cameo.  For just $59, you can get a Cameo from Barb!   Peter is $149, Kelly is $89.  Even Jorge the bartender is there at $27.   The big dog is Chris Harrison at $472.50. https://www.cameo.com/browse/reality-tv/the-bachelor

Ok I'm really trying not to be judging however, who the heck would want to talk to  or hear from Barb? 

(I realize I failed at the not judging)

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TiredMe said:

Ok I'm really trying not to be judging however, who the heck would want to talk to  or hear from Barb? 

My daughter and her friend gave a Barb cameo to another friend. It's a joke thing. 

16 hours ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

Ben met his current fiance by first randomly seeing her on Instagram and DMing her. The fiance is much younger (right out of college younger) and lives in Nashville, TN. And, drumroll, do you want to know who else lives in Nashville, TN? His ex-fiance, Lauren and her country music star hubby Chris Lane. I wonder if Ben ever heard about the subconscious?  He should look into it.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, GracieK said:

I didn't mean to come off so snippy. I just get tired of every time someone is rude or social awkward there's speculation they're on the spectrum. Sometimes rude and obnoxious is just rude and obnoxious. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

I didn't mean to come off so snippy. I just get tired of every time someone is rude or social awkward there's speculation they're on the spectrum. Sometimes rude and obnoxious is just rude and obnoxious. 

It was a fair point to make on your part.  I should have at least expounded on what I meant and why, but I'm glad you addressed it so I could think through it more and I understand why you found it a troublesome remark.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Just Carol said:

Maybe they cast her BECAUSE OF her stink face.  Also, the crazy eyes.  Also, the emotional meltdown at every rose ceremony.   Yup, she is perfect.

I know it's entertaining the hell out of me. Watching her fully expose her 3 foot tall chompers and show her entire iris with her crazy eyes, it made me genuinely laugh out loud.

I had already pegged her as having had some work done very recently because she just can't seem to control the shine on her face, which is usually a sign of Botox. But now I'm thinking maybe some kind of fillers in her cheeks that don't allow her full movement over her face, making her mouth and eyes look even stranger.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I do find Matt generally pretty boring - it just feels like there's very little spark with him most of the time, even when he's in the midst of serious conversations with the women, and he ends up looking totally blank-faced even when someone is telling him about her dying father or struggles with her appearance. But from what some have talked about on various podcasts, it sounds like he was incredibly nervous about doing this and how he would come across on TV, so that may be why he seems extremely reserved and unemotional at times, and why he ends up feeling boring. 

That said, I thought he seemed way more lively and interested on his date with Michelle than he has at any other point on the show so far, and seemed for the first time like he was actually having some fun. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, atlanticslide said:

I do find Matt generally pretty boring - it just feels like there's very little spark with him most of the time, even when he's in the midst of serious conversations with the women, and he ends up looking totally blank-faced even when someone is telling him about her dying father or struggles with her appearance. But from what some have talked about on various podcasts, it sounds like he was incredibly nervous about doing this and how he would come across on TV, so that may be why he seems extremely reserved and unemotional at times

I guess it is better to come off as being dull than being a doofus or asshat.   The irony is that it never pays to be nervous.  People get nervous because they don't want to screw up, but nothing will cause you to screw up more than nerves. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

My daughter and her friend gave a Barb cameo to another friend. It's a joke thing. 

Doing it as a joke never even crossed my mind. I was too horrified at the thought of talking to her. LOL

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 2

Help an old lady out.  What is Cameo? Whatever it is, I don't want to google it and end up with ads for it. Also whatever it is, I can't believe there's ANOTHER revenue stream for these people. Even tertiary ones like Barbara, ugh. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 1/26/2021 at 6:19 PM, Bobcatkitten said:

So I wonder if a contestant can sue another person for defamation on this show? I'm sure the show is protected. But are there any consequences to spreading malicious lies? Also if Anna had gotten info on Brittany didn't she wonder where she was on the show? 

P.S. I think adding five already into it is rude and ridiculous. But the mean girl OG thing seemed a bit much. 

I'm thinking they sign their rights away, especially considering there was a boxing date which could have caused injury.

23 minutes ago, Arkay said:

Help an old lady out.  What is Cameo? Whatever it is, I don't want to google it and end up with ads for it. Also whatever it is, I can't believe there's ANOTHER revenue stream for these people. Even tertiary ones like Barbara, ugh. 

From one old lady to another, apparently Cameo is a site where you can have your favorite reality star send a personalized message (not sure how long) such as birthday wishes to a friend (or enemy).

I only know this because I waste a lot of my life and brain watching the real housewives.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, atlanticslide said:

That said, I thought he seemed way more lively and interested on his date with Michelle than he has at any other point on the show so far, and seemed for the first time like he was actually having some fun. 

"I like that."       Or...the alternate, "I love that."

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

From one old lady to another, apparently Cameo is a site where you can have your favorite reality star send a personalized message (not sure how long) such as birthday wishes to a friend (or enemy).

I only know this because I waste a lot of my life and brain watching the real housewives.

Thank you, @Stats Queen. I had no idea. The Bachelor franchise is where I go for my needed dose of trash, so I haven't see any Housewives shows at all. The world must be composed of brilliant marketers if they can drum up a paying audience for this.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1