Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

I haven't had a chance yet to listen or read the transcript, but for anyone whose curiosity about conservatorships was piqued by the emerging details of Britney Spears's case:  In honor of disability pride month, the ACLU's podcast, At Liberty, is doing a few episodes looking at the conservatorship/guardianship system; the first one uses Britney's case (in which the ACLU submitted an amicus brief in support of her right to select her own attorney) as a launching pad to discuss the issues.

• Useful 9
  • Love 5

Chrissy has the sadz because she was finally called on the carpet her life has been negatively affected with the loss of her social media presence. My advice: #1 Grow up

#2 Get a hobby

#3 Do some volunteer work among people who don’t have a clue who you are and leave the paparazzi (and the cellphone) at home

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9789537/Chrissy-Teigen-depressed-feels-lost-canceled-amid-cyber-bullying-scandal.html

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven’t been able to locate anything filed today by Rosengart. He was allowed to represent her and that’s it.  I wonder where they got this from?

She was in the courtroom. This was all we were supposed to get from the hearing where Britney testified but the audio leaked. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven’t been able to locate anything filed today by Rosengart. He was allowed to represent her and that’s it.  I wonder where they got this from?

I think that report was wrong. The closest I can find is that Rosengart said he was going to file paperwork to remove her father. They seem to mostly focused on getting her out from under her father’s financial control. 

Question for our lawyers: What kind of charges could result for Jamie Spears? Like, is abuse of conservatorship an actual charge? Is this more a civil lawsuit or criminal charges?

As for Joe Exotic, he seems to think the latest ruling is a precursor to him getting out at the end of the year. But dude is ignoring the fact that he still has to build a shitload of time and that the court reaffirmed that he deserved to be sentenced. His social media is really unhinged. I'm not quite sure who is handling his accounts with him in the slammer. 

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, Dani said:

I think that report was wrong. The closest I can find is that Rosengart said he was going to file paperwork to remove her father. They seem to mostly focused on getting her out from under her father’s financial control. 

Several reporters who were in court reported it. It’s what was stated as Britney’s wishes not anything that any lawyer has actually addressed. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I could learn to hate the word "technicality". 

The law is both procedural and substantive. There are no "technicalities", there are procedural protections to which all defendants are entitled. 

• Love 23
12 hours ago, Zella said:

Question for our lawyers: What kind of charges could result for Jamie Spears? Like, is abuse of conservatorship an actual charge? Is this more a civil lawsuit or criminal charges?

As for Joe Exotic, he seems to think the latest ruling is a precursor to him getting out at the end of the year. But dude is ignoring the fact that he still has to build a shitload of time and that the court reaffirmed that he deserved to be sentenced. His social media is really unhinged. I'm not quite sure who is handling his accounts with him in the slammer. 

I’m not familiar with CA statutes, but a conservator can’t mishandle the funds they are entrusted with.  They have a fiduciary duty to do everything that is in the best interest of the ward.  Plus, the accountings are provided to the court on a regular basis for review and approval.  But, it sounds like Britney is contending she was mistreated in nonfinancial ways.   I suppose her attorney will make written allegations and those who made the decisions will respond accordingly.  I’d be interested to see if there are valid reasons for the decisions, supported by medical and legal authority.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not familiar with CA statutes, but a conservator can’t mishandle the funds they are entrusted with.  They have a fiduciary duty to do everything that is in the best interest of the ward.  Plus, the accountings are provided to the court on a regular basis for review and approval.  But, it sounds like Britney is contending she was mistreated in nonfinancial ways.   I suppose her attorney will make written allegations and those who made the decisions will respond accordingly.  I’d be interested to see if there are valid reasons for the decisions, supported by medical and legal authority.  

Thank you! 

7 hours ago, Quof said:

The law is both procedural and substantive. There are no "technicalities", there are procedural protections to which all defendants are entitled. 

Yea usually people complain when a criminal gets away on a technicality. But to me that means someone in the Justice system make a mistake or cut corners somewhere. But if you are going to be possibly taking away someone's freedom, you have to be held to a very high standard to the point where you can't make mistakes or cut corners and still expect to win.

• Love 23

NBC News looked into whether she can have Jamie charged for 'conservatorship abuse'. TLDR; there's no such thing.

“She would have to prove that Jamie is misappropriating her money, diverting it for his own benefit or taking her assets — essentially stealing her money,” said Tamar Arminak, a lawyer who worked with the actor Amanda Bynes’ parents in her conservatorship case.

The process would likely be a difficult road because the funds used by Jamie Spears over the past 13 years have had to be approved by the court, Arminak added. While there’s no denying that Britney Spears’ father has taken “huge amounts” of money for his own salary as a conservator, that isn’t necessarily uncommon in conservatorship cases.

She can try suing him, which will also be a long process.

The singer used the word “charge” during the Wednesday hearing, but said she’d like to sue her family in her June 23 testimony. Esquibias suggested that she may have actually meant Wednesday that she wanted to take civil action, possibly suing her father for breach of fiduciary duty.

“And in that case, she would file a petition in the probate court, she would detail in her petition the alleged wrongdoing, cite the law he violated, and likely request financial sanctions against him,” he said. “He will file a response, and the court will ask the parties to discuss a mediation between the two parties.”

If the father and daughter fail to reach a settlement, the case would go to trial, Esquibias explained.

• Useful 10
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Does Mr. Lund, in fact, have Down's Syndrome? That could be easily provable via genetic tests since those who have the condition possess 47 instead of humans' usual 46 chromosomes. 

If not, then I think his team could sue the judge for slander.

Although, even if he DOES have that condition, there ARE folks with it who have been independent and productive citizens despite the challenges. Thus, unless the court has reason to believe that Mr. Lund, in fact, is incapable to administer his own monies for his own living expenses, I don't see why he can't possess what his late grandfather had intended for him ( and could it be that Miss Spears isn't the only one whose family could have been using the judicial system to conspire against having control of the monies hithero entitled?)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, letter8358 said:

While I certainly feel bad for her, maybe she should think about all the bikini photos she's posted showing off her body. She's the one who posts the photos, did she really think that people were obligated to love her? I find it ridiculous that people will post photos of themselves (all properly Photoshopped into perfection of course) & think people are only going to make nice comments about them. Then when someone sees something they don't like & comments on it, they're calling them out as haters & bullies. Too bad, everyone in the world doesn't love you & if you make the decision to post photos so that people can comment on them & tell you how fab you are, they have the right to tell you they don't like you.

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, GaT said:

While I certainly feel bad for her, maybe she should think about all the bikini photos she's posted showing off her body. She's the one who posts the photos, did she really think that people were obligated to love her? I find it ridiculous that people will post photos of themselves (all properly Photoshopped into perfection of course) & think people are only going to make nice comments about them. Then when someone sees something they don't like & comments on it, they're calling them out as haters & bullies. Too bad, everyone in the world doesn't love you & if you make the decision to post photos so that people can comment on them & tell you how fab you are, they have the right to tell you they don't like you.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on that. That is the reason I don't do social media because I refuse to read comments at all. Even if I don't like what is said about me physically, I refuse to fall prey to that bully pulpit and that just makes It worse. I definitely agree to everything you've said.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Does Mr. Lund, in fact, have Down's Syndrome? That could be easily provable via genetic tests since those who have the condition possess 47 instead of humans' usual 46 chromosomes. 

If not, then I think his team could sue the judge for slander.

No he doesn't and it's been established he can't sue the judge.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/07/16/la-county-judge-cant-be-sued-for-false-assertion-that-walt-disneys-grandson-has-down-syndrome/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Didn’t watch too much of Boardwalk Empire, so don’t know if he was recurring or starred in that show.

I'm a pretty big Boardwalk fan--have probably watched the show about five or six times all the way through--and I don't recognize him. Had to check IMDB. He was only in one episode in season 2, and his character name didn't ring a bell. I had to track down a recap to figure out who he was. 

His entire filmography on IMDB is basically one or two episode stints on shows. He was in 2 episodes of The Americans, but I never watched that. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I don't think anyone should be bullied but it is fair to say that if you habitually put bikini body-con pics and post about your body then you are the one that introduced the subject and the comments that follow are gonna be about that subject.  And yes, they will not always be positive.  Also a lot of her online persona IS about her body and fitness and she has even shilled diet plans. 

Also, there is some dispute that she was actually shamed for her weight.  The redittors claim that nobody but her ever called her fat.  But that she herself had written posts lamenting her own weight gain after coming back from a vacation.  There is a photo of her ass in a thong with a caption that says "my ass was smaller before I got to Italy."  It is very true, that reddit thread is largely negative toward her and dislike her intensely.  But from what they say it is because she herself has body shamed women who have had plastic surgery and she's had plastic surgery herself and she adds to the culture that pressures women into body perfectionism.

• Useful 8
  • Love 4
On 7/10/2021 at 11:09 PM, biakbiak said:

I only knew because one of my sister’s best friends went to school with her. She unfortunately has no interesting stories about her!

Well that's part if not most of the problem.  She's not interesting on her own.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Apparently, his father at one time claimed that he did and also that he suffered Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  He and his twin sister were both educated a private schools for children with learning disabilities.  However, he has been employed for much of his adult life; bussing tables, sorting mail and working at the counter at a UPS store that he also owns thanks to the family money.  Even if he has intellectual disabilities, he has been able to handle his life and hold a job.  He also has been interviewed and is articulate on his ability to handle his own affairs.  Yet, starting with the first distribution from his grandfather when he was 35, he has never been allowed full access to the inheritance.

Meanwhile, his twin, who also attended special schools and claims she is dyslexic, has a long history of substance abuse and has never held a job.  As an adult, she suffered a brain aneurysm that put her into a coma and now suffers significant memory problems and other issues. Nevertheless, she was given free access to her inheritance to use as she wishes.

The whole thing is part of a big family feud in which Brad has been close to his father, the ex-husband of Walt's late daughter, Sharon; while his sister has distanced herself, claiming her father and stepmother were trying to gain control of the fortune.

There was a third half-sibling to the twins, Victoria, a heroin addict who died young and her portion of the estate reverted to the twins.

In any event, it does appear that Brad has received very different treatment from the courts than his sister.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 8

I always roll my eyes when the Jesse James Deckers of the world start wining about how people are mean to them and the "haters" and what have you. They put every moment of their lives on social media and are surprised when assholes show up. I don't want anyone to be bullied but you're posting your life on a (very) public forum for all the world to see -- if you can't handle the good, bad, and ugly, perhaps don't do it. Of course that means they don't get the publicity that comes with their emotional posts calling out "the haters" ala Chrissy Teigen who would always, do something, say something, or posts something that would receive backlash or criticism, go into victim mode, leave in a huff, then return. No sympathy from me.

As for Britney; look, I understand the die hard #freeBritney crowd wants to believe she's perfectly fine and its the big bad evil just holding her down (I'll have more to say on her conservatorship in a moment) but good Lord, this woman seems to be mentally stuck at 14. You're in a court of law girl yet she sounds like those bratty teenagers on Maury dropping F bombs every other word and her Instagram posts? Again, it's like an out of control teenager.

That's not to say that her dad and family shouldn't kick rocks because they are to blame; they viewed her as nothing more than a cash cow and fucked her up beyond belief. Her dad doesn't need to be in charge but I firmly believe if she is left to her own vices she will be completely broke in a year because she will no doubt rebel against everything they wouldn't let her do -- starting with spending money on whatever she wants. I know it's a free country and we can take our money to an empty field and light it on fire if we want but she has kids, she'll no doubt have to pay this dude to go away when she marries and divorces him, and if she's truly not planning on performing again for a long while (or ever) then I hope someone is there to help her with financial planning. Her conservatorship is no doubt fucked up but I don't believe this is a woman who needs to be dropped back into society on her own. I believe if that happens, we'll have very different headlines about her within a year.

• Love 9
(edited)
12 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

Her dad doesn't need to be in charge but I firmly believe if she is left to her own vices she will be completely broke in a year because she will no doubt rebel against everything they wouldn't let her do

Which was essentially exactly what happened almost 20 years ago when her spiral happened. It started with her rebelling against the "good girl" image they'd constructed for her. I put the good girl in quotes because talk about her being fucked up, from jump Britney was marketed in a Lolita-esque, "I'm a good girl while eye fucking the camera in skimpy clothes" manner. All while doing so at barely 16. Yeah I'm sure that oversexed image didn't help. 

In any case, she rebelled against that with the 16-hour marriage mess that was then later followed by the Federline disaster she's still paying for in the form of her two sons. And Sam Lufti and his creepy, svengali self had slithered in so the drugs and alcohol became more rampant. And every stunt and scandal brought more paparazzi and media attention that she would later claim was part of what made her crazy.

It just became a spiral of bad decision after bad decision and at that point, no one was around to take the reins. I hate that much of the hate and criticism goes onto her father since he's the one who's handled the conservatorship. Because I don't think enough smoke has been given to Lynn who was a stage momager to the tee. Lynn walked so Kris Jenner could run. And when shit went all the way left with Britney, she seemingly vanished.

I remember at one point wondering where the hell she was since she was plenty visible when things were good. But when things hit rock bottom, I barely saw Lynn. I've always said that it was telling to me that Jamie was made executor in the first place when it was no secret he and Britney had had a strained relationship and the man was mostly out of the public eye, mostly still living in their old Louisiana home. Why wasn't Lynn, the one who'd been there through the whole journey made executor of the conservatorship?

eta: I do think if everything Britney said in her statement about her conservatorship is true that major changes should be made. Because it's ridiculous for anyone's life to be this controlled, especially as others noted, they seemed to think she was well enough to perform nightly for a very successful residency.

That said, I also don't believe she's entirely okay. Now maybe it is because she's been over-medicated for years and it's had an adverse reaction. But as I said, even after all the craziness of her initial breakdown, I thought Britney seemed okay, not her old self by any means but okay, during the Circus era. And I actually liked her and her previous fiance Jason.

But in the last five years or so, Britney's eyes have seemed increasingly hollow and dead to me and I just don't see a mentally well person when I look at her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

IMO, Miss Spears could use a very long break from the spotlight glare and from all those she believes have exploited her (likely for good reason/s). She's not in the happiest or healthiest state possible and all the above IMO have been (at the very least) contributing factors.

Now, how this can be accomplished and who she can trust to help her are the $64 million questions! 

• Love 7

She needs people who put her genuine needs ahead of the grift.   Now whether that is finding new conservators (I find it weird too that Mama Lynn is no where to be found in all of this), OR ending the conservatorship and finding a really good money manager that will put her on an allowance and no more.   That she can spend however she wants but that's it, when her allowance is spent for that period she doesn't get any more but the bills are still paid like housing, utilities and child support.   Also a really good lawyer who will write an IRONCLAD prenup for the next guy she marries.   So that guy knows that he has NO access to her money to keep her from winding up with someone she THINKS cares but only wants her for her money.

• Love 21

Celebrities piss away their money and file bankruptcy all the time. Britney's entitled to make the same terrible decisions people have for decades. Just because she sounds and acts like a child doesn't mean anyone has the right to parent her. 

I have no idea who Jessie James Decker is. I acknowledge that none of my instagram follows is a celebrity whose main posting is photos of themselves, and certainly not photos of women's bodies. Women's bodies don't interest me in a way that makes me want to look at photos for recreational purposes.

And here we are, 2021, and women's bodies are still the focus other people's entertainment.

• Love 23
16 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Celebrities piss away their money and file bankruptcy all the time

Oh I think all celebrities and athletes should have a good money manager who sticks them on an allowance and then doesn't give them extra when they burn through it.  So that they have money when they are no longer relevant.  

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh I think all celebrities and athletes should have a good money manager who sticks them on an allowance and then doesn't give them extra when they burn through it.  So that they have money when they are no longer relevant.  

The smart ones do.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Yes but if they decide not to or trust family and friends who end up ripping them off the court doesn’t step in and appoint someone to make all life decisions for them. 

• Love 12

Not in conspiracy theory mode... I am genuinely confused. How are we supposed to know whether Britney is posting to her own social media or not? We heard (in articles from legitimate sources) all about those people who control her social media. Has that stopped just because she has her own lawyer now?

I'm wary of reading too much into her social media posts either way.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Not in conspiracy theory mode... I am genuinely confused. How are we supposed to know whether Britney is posting to her own social media or not? We heard (in articles from legitimate sources) all about those people who control her social media. Has that stopped just because she has her own lawyer now?

Why would the people who were controlling her social media be posting complaining about the people who were controlling her?

I think people are assuming that she now has control because the content is more aligned with what she is saying in court. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I know Britney isn't the same Britney she was 20 years ago, but it's confusing to me too. The social media posts don't sound like how she did in court.

Does anyone know where Lynn is with all of this? 

Celebrities piss away their money and file bankruptcy all the time. Britney's entitled to make the same terrible decisions people have for decades. Just because she sounds and acts like a child doesn't mean anyone has the right to parent her. 

Agree. It's her life and her money. I don't think she'll ever go broke, but I'm honestly surprised she doesn't have more of it if it's been tightly controlled for so long. Was she really that bad a spender? Britney is well-known to snack on Cheetos, eat McDonald's food, and shop at Walmart. She's never struck me as someone who spent crazy money. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Agree. It's her life and her money. I don't think she'll ever go broke, but I'm honestly surprised she doesn't have more of it if it's been tightly controlled for so long. Was she really that bad a spender? Britney is well-known to snack on Cheetos, eat McDonald's food, and shop at Walmart. She's never struck me as someone who spent crazy money. 

Her finances are well documented because of the conservatorship. It depends on what you think is crazy money. One of her dogs cost $8,000 and she spends over $20,000 a year on the dogs. She spends around $400,000 year. Of course, that is under the control of the conservatorship and she spends more money supporting the conservatorship than she does on herself. 
I think the bigger concern with her money is that she will trust the wrong person again. 

9 minutes ago, Dani said:

Her finances are well documented because of the conservatorship. It depends on what you think is crazy money. One of her dogs cost $8,000 and she spends over $20,000 a year on the dogs. She spends around $400,000 year. Of course, that is under the control of the conservatorship and she spends more money supporting the conservatorship than she does on herself. 
I think the bigger concern with her money is that she will trust the wrong person again. 

Oh absolutely. The concern isn't that she'll spend all of her cash on new shoes and fake plants for her house, but rather than she will make bad business decisions, sign on with a bad management contract, invest in snake oil sales, make a business deal with a Nigerian prince and the like. But again, that's her choice. I mean, if we could take over our family member's finances just based on shitty decision-making, I would have started managing my siblings' finances decades ago. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 13