Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Precisely. It’s not as if podcasts are the only source of information and entertainment. And it’s simply not my preferred source.

Same. I LOVE The Good Place. I ADORE Marc Evan Jackson. He does a Good Place podcast. I should be all over it. I tried. I really did, and realized a few minutes in that I had no idea what I'd just listened to. If that can't hold my attention there's no point trying any other podcast. It is just not a medium that works for me. 

• Love 8
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

She may be required to be on birth control because of the Lithium prescription, it's been know to cause horrific birth defects. I was looking at another site's discussion of the Britney situation and there were several people on there who were convinced her own statement actually proved why she needed to be under conservatorship.

I also have never deliberately listened to a podcast, I say deliberately because sometimes they are played on NPR when I have it on. For me it's because I'm a fast reader. This is also why I don't do audiobooks. Why should I spend 14 hours listening to something I can read in 3-4. Or 24 minutes of a podcast I can read in 10.

Perhaps, it’s medication, but until they confirm exactly what she’s taking....I think it’s risky to rely on comments that she made that may or may not be accurate. People misspeak, get confused, etc.  ......I read that the woman who  is the conservator of the person wants to make a plan for Britney so she can regain her competency.  It sounded like even if that doesn’t happen, she’ll ask to be replaced.  When you work hard to do the right thing and then get thrown under the bus, I can imagine it would be painful.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

They still make those!?!??!!

I just can't with podcasts. Same with audiobooks. I don't have the auditory attention span for it. I am strongly visual, especially when talking to people. I even hate talking on the phone because I can't see the other person so I can't really pay attention to what is being said. 

Music is the only thing I can just listen to, but even then I'm usually singing, so again, not just listening. If I just listen to a disembodied voice I really won't comprehend or remember what they are saying. I need visuals. 

I know exactly how you feel.  A lot of podcasts put the video up on YouTube, and I can enjoy those because I have something to look at.  Shows like Hot Ones or Naomi Campbell's show and podcasts that put their video up on YouTube have almost zero difference between them, and I can enjoy all of those.

I have to be honest, I'm scared of audiobooks and I've hated the radio since I was a child.  It's so hard for me to understand what's going on over radio, LOL.  I think some of us are also hard of hearing so I need to read lips because that's probably 50% of my hearing comprehension.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Woah, now.  Just because someone doesn't listen to podcasts doesn't mean they're being willfully ignorant.  They just...don't listen to podcasts.   No big deal.

I think there’s a difference between knowing your not an auditory learner or simply not liking the format and people who turn their nose up at them. I’ve seen both and it’s the second that baffles me. 

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Bessemer Trust Motioned To Withdraw.

The wealth management firm said in a court filing that it wanted to resign “due to changed circumstances,” citing Ms. Spears’s recent public criticisms of the conservatorship.

The firm said in its filing that it had been told that Ms. Spears’s conservatorship was voluntary and that she had consented to the company acting as co-conservator. But in a court hearing on June 23, Ms. Spears excoriated the conservatorship and demanded that it end.

Good intentions but that’s probably going to make things worse for Britney. She’s not going to get out of the conservatorship immediately and that leaves her father alone in charge of her money. She needs reputable and independent professionals to come to the best conclusion for her. 

Edited by Guest
21 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I read that the woman who  is the conservator of the person wants to make a plan for Britney so she can regain her competency.  It sounded like even if that doesn’t happen, she’ll ask to be replaced.  

She has been her conservator for awhile and hasn’t made any of those moves until Britney’s testimony. If people aren’t taking Britney’s words at face value, I don’t know why we should take anyone involved at face value because they have all been profiting off of her. 

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She has been her conservator for awhile and hasn’t made any of those moves until Britney’s testimony. If people aren’t taking Britney’s words at face value, I don’t know why we should take anyone involved at face value because they have all been profiting off of her. 

There are paper trails/emails/texts, that document most events, decisions, communications, etc.  As well as medical records, recordings...to support what those involved report to the court.  Thankfully, the actual situation and condition of Britney can be determined.  

(edited)
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

There are paper trails/emails/texts, that document most events, decisions, communications, etc.  As well as medical records, recordings...to support what those involved report to the court.  Thankfully, the actual situation and condition of Britney can be determined.  

Except that all involved are currently pointing fingers about what has and hasn’t been said and by whom.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
47 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Her conservator actually says that she wants to develop a plan so that Britney continues to improve and the conservatorship can be terminated. We don’t know what moves have been made or if it is the right decision now for it to end. 

6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Except that all involved are currently pointing fingers about what has and hasn’t been said and by whom.

Everyone’s finger is pointing at Jamie Spears. He the one trying to deflect the blame onto anyone else. Also, what is happening in the media tells us nothing about what is happening behind the scenes. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Dani said:

Her conservator actually says that she wants to develop a plan so that Britney continues to improve and the conservatorship can be terminated. We don’t know what moves have been made or if it is the right decision now for it to end. 

My point was that she has been her conservator through other proceedings and hasn’t said these things until it came to a head with Britney’s testimony and that even the reporters who did the doc and have interviewed or tried to interview in the case of Jaime have absolutely no idea what is happening, so it’s a shit ton of speculation.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

No, I know you didn't say never, but others did.

I'm the opposite. I have podcasts on for probably about half the time I'm awake every day. When I'm driving or walking, working out, doing stuff around the house. Sometimes I miss stuff and have to rewind them a few minutes, but I find myself much happier listening to a podcast than having to sit down and watch a video on the same topic.

All this! Podcasts help me actually enjoy long drives. I have them on if I'm on the treadmill, cleaning, cooking, etc. Not judging anyone who isn't into them. I wasn't for the longest time, but now I feel like I didn't know what I was missing! I'll listen to news/political ones, as well as reality show based ones. Something for my every mood. :) I'm not someone who can sit still and stare at my TV. I'm usually on here or doing something. I really don't need the visual element. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

My point was that she has been her conservator through other proceedings and hasn’t said these things until it came to a head. 

My point is that we don’t know what she has said before this. Maybe she horrible and maybe she really is trying to help Britney. We can’t know because we can’t know what is actually happening. We don’t know what Britney’s mental state actually is. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Dani said:

My point is that we don’t know what she has said before this. Maybe she horrible and maybe she really is trying to help Britney. We can’t know because we can’t know what is actually happening. We don’t know what Britney’s mental state actually is. 

I am aware that we don’t know what Britney’s mental state is which is my point that all of this is speculation based on Britney’s public testimony, random leaks, and gossip and there is a reason it’s coming out now because everyone is literally trying to cover their asses.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Dani said:

True.  Working within the legal system, there are high standards for your duty to the ward.  There are also confidentiality issues.  Britney’s perception may be off. Her allegations could have merit, but may not.  From what I’ve seen, I am wary.  

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I am aware that we don’t know what Britney’s mental state is which is my point that all of this is speculation based on Britney’s public testimony, random leaks, and gossip and there is a reason it’s coming out now because everyone is literally trying to cover their asses.

Covering your ass or telling the truth? Could be either. How it’s perceived all depends on who you are inclined to believe. 
To be clear, I understand your point. I just have a different opinion. I’m not trying to convince anyone that I am right. I may very well be completely wrong. 

26 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

True.  Working within the legal system, there are high standards for your duty to the ward.  There are also confidentiality issues.  Britney’s perception may be off. Her allegations could have merit, but may not.  From what I’ve seen, I am wary.  

This is where I fall in this. I know how convincing people can be in making themselves the victim and how distorted perceptions can be. That combined with just how much we don’t know (and shouldn’t know) makes me wary. 

3 minutes ago, Dani said:
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is where I fall in this. I know how convincing people can be in making themselves the victim and how distorted perceptions can be. That combined with just how much we don’t know (and shouldn’t know) makes me wary. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with being wary, but IMO I believe that wariness should apply to both sides.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with being wary, but IMO I believe that wariness should apply to both sides.

Exactly! But its like a hexagon and there are so many sides to be wary of!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Oh, it does. It just there are a lot of people involved and it feels like there are more than two sides. The wariness varies from person to person. 

3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I also remember Britney saying she was a scaredy cat and always felt someone was out to get her.

that is ... not a good sign.     Now that might just be normal "hey I gotta be careful in this business" thinking or it could be an early sign of her mental health issues.   

Also if she is a yes person who naively believes what people tell her, she might have the booksmarts to be a lawyer but she would be a terrible one.   It's not just knowing the law, its knowing how to sort through all the facts presented and apply them.   It's knowing your client is shading the truth in their favor and setting them straight.    If you go into a negotiation and just believe whatever you are told, you are going to sell your client out.   Law is tough.   Its a lot of negotiation without wanting to necessarily please the other side.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

My point was that she has been her conservator through other proceedings and hasn’t said these things until it came to a head with Britney’s testimony and that even the reporters who did the doc and have interviewed

I really hope the conservator wasn't talking to the documentary film makers.   that would be a HUGE breach of confidentiality.   The ward cannot make the decision to waive confidentiality and as the conservator you have to be double careful to not waive it on the ward's behalf.    the conservator didn't speak out in PUBLIC before.   We don't know what was said to the court in other proceedings or what reports have been submitted.   Most of this case is going on behind closed doors -- as it should.   Its only coming out now because Dad is running his mouth and others have to protect themselves (which is one of the exceptions to speaking out).   But even that, they are being careful in what they are saying in order to protect the privacy of someone who legally cannot make the decision to be public themselves.   

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

that is ... not a good sign.     Now that might just be normal "hey I gotta be careful in this business" thinking or it could be an early sign of her mental health issues.   

Also if she is a yes person who naively believes what people tell her, she might have the booksmarts to be a lawyer but she would be a terrible one.   It's not just knowing the law, its knowing how to sort through all the facts presented and apply them.   It's knowing your client is shading the truth in their favor and setting them straight.    If you go into a negotiation and just believe whatever you are told, you are going to sell your client out.   Law is tough.   Its a lot of negotiation without wanting to necessarily please the other side.

100%. I saw that happen with someone dear to me. But I think it's possible Britney could have developed those smarts if she lived a normal life. We'll never know for sure. But lots of teens are naive and gradually gain wisdom and develop better judgment. Britney's life's been such a whirlwind that I don't want to judge her for not knowing certain things by 39. She's gone through a lot, and I don't know if she's had much time to just breathe. Stress, trauma, medication, all of that has probably done a number on her. There was a show I watched awhile ago and one of the hosts said that Britney was unable to even have a conversation. It made me sad because it sort of sounded like they found Britney to  be like a child or stupid. She's not. I think she's just what she said she is-traumatized. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I also have never deliberately listened to a podcast, I say deliberately because sometimes they are played on NPR when I have it on. For me it's because I'm a fast reader. This is also why I don't do audiobooks. Why should I spend 14 hours listening to something I can read in 3-4. Or 24 minutes of a podcast I can read in 10.

Yes, that's how I feel.  I'd rather read a transcript.  OTOH we are great radio/audio drama fiends Chez Rat.  Listening to a fully staged production with good voice actors, orchestration, sound effects - I have no problem listening to anything like that.  You know,  old American network stuff like Orson Welles in the Shadow, Bogart and Bacall in Bold Venture.  Or the BBC stuff.   I never get impatient or space out listening to those things.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes, that's how I feel.  I'd rather read a transcript.  OTOH we are great radio/audio drama fiends Chez Rat.  Listening to a fully staged production with good voice actors, orchestration, sound effects - I have no problem listening to anything like that.  You know,  old American network stuff like Orson Welles in the Shadow, Bogart and Bacall in Bold Venture.  Or the BBC stuff.   I never get impatient or space out listening to those things.

Ooh! There’s a podcast for that. Actually, there are few. 

I would never suggest that everyone should like podcasts but I do thing there is a misconception about them. You can find one for nearly anything. I really don’t like most of what people associate with podcasts because the hosts usually annoy but I love some of the more obscure things you can find. I also like the learning a new language ones. 

I'm not someone who can sit still and stare at my TV. I'm usually on here or doing something. I really don't need the visual element. 

When I'm watching a movie or show, I'm usually fully invested (unless it's bad). Podcasts let me do things like fold laundry or sew or craft while still being entertained but not having to worry about if a song I don't like comes up on shuffle. I don't like celebrity podcasts though (I mean, I love Who Weekly, but I don't like podcasts hosted by celebrities). It baffles me that they're so popular. I guess I just don't think these people (especially the actors) are as interesting without people writing dialogue for them or outside of the context of something like Inside the Actor's Studio. Even if I watched The Bachelor, I cannot imagine being entertained by the podcast of "insert random contestant" who is no longer on the show. In no world would I ever want to hang out with Dax Shepard. But I guess someone's listening 🤷‍♀️

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

When I'm watching a movie or show, I'm usually fully invested (unless it's bad). Podcasts let me do things like fold laundry or sew or craft while still being entertained but not having to worry about if a song I don't like comes up on shuffle. I don't like celebrity podcasts though (I mean, I love Who Weekly, but I don't like podcasts hosted by celebrities). It baffles me that they're so popular. I guess I just don't think these people (especially the actors) are as interesting without people writing dialogue for them or outside of the context of something like Inside the Actor's Studio. Even if I watched The Bachelor, I cannot imagine being entertained by the podcast of "insert random contestant" who is no longer on the show. In no world would I ever want to hang out with Dax Shepard. But I guess someone's listening 🤷‍♀️

Another reason I love podcasts is because I like to save music for when I need a jolt of energy. When you listen to your favorite songs constantly, they're not as useful for getting your butt out of bed or exercising. The only podcast I really like that's hosted by a celebrity is Maria Menounos. I like her personality overall, and she has interesting topics. One thing I might do is look for the most interesting episodes of various podcasts. Some of them could be boring for several episodes in a row, then they'll have a guest or topic that really appeals to me. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes, that's how I feel.  I'd rather read a transcript.  

LOL one of my favourite comedians did an audio-only book and I so badly hope someone uploads the transcript.  

• LOL 2

RE: Podcasts

I don't think anyone needs to feel better or worse for liking or not liking podcasts. I am an avid reader and not an audible book fan (nothing wrong with those either), but I also love podcasts. 

• Love 11

Podcasts are one area of modern media where I am woefully  lagging.

Probably the only one I really listen to with any dedication is 'Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Period." The format of it and the way they do it is just so fun.  It is a freewheeling conversation about all things movies industry esp black movie industry, but the guests need to be prepared to talk about Denzel. Do a ranking of top five movies, defend a controversial Denzel take, speak on the 'Denzelishness' of his various characters. The host and their guests and the way the conversation evolved often felt like you were in a living room with your friends.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I am not sure if you would call them “celebrities” but one of the Slenderman  killers is getting out of the psyche ward.   It’s been a really weird week legally wise.   I mean a rapist, a murderer and a cult leader all get weirdly light sentences but a mentally ill pop star who gives herself a bad haircut and might need a lesson in traffic safety isn’t allowed to decide her own bed time.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Slenderman  killers

The victim in the Slenderman attack survived.  So the young woman who was released was ”only” guilty of attempted murder.  If that makes you feel any better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Dani said:

Ooh! There’s a podcast for that. Actually, there are few. 

Oh honey, there are hundreds. Until I clicked I thought you were going to be linking to some of the many podcasts about radio history with interviews and new research , etc.  Mr Rat and I rarely listen to any of those either since we already know a lot about the subject - all the more reason to want a transcript to free up more necessarily real-time listening time for shows we haven't heard yet.

Yes, I know that podcasts are one of the places that people these days can begin to explore radio drama,  the Theater of the Mind.  And that's great.    All the shows  that have been digitized are widely available these days from Internet Archive and many other places, and like too many podcasts, sometimes they are not in the best of sound. Unfortunately one of the examples of bad sound is your last link, where the guy has "improved" the sound of 7th or 8th generation recordings of X-One  with his clunky editing program, probably without realizing that pristine recordings made from the original transcription discs have been available for quite a while.  Plus, he's pissed that so few are willing to pay him to do it.  Much like many podcasters.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Isn't Kirstie Alley involved with Scientology? So, uh, yeah, maybe she should take a look in the mirror before going on her "tsk tsk" rant there.

Oh, yeah, she's been involved with that  cult for years, now.  So, take everything she says with a HUGE grain of salt.

• Love 17

Am I the only one reading 'stay in the closet if you don't want to get gay-bashed' in the part about "better survival" or am I just feeling sensitive today as we're coming off Pride Month? Learn how to stay in your place to not offend hateful people? Just me?

I knew she was a Scientologist but she still came across normal-ish when she did Dancing with the Stars (internet says that was 2011). She's really gone off the deep end though and I stopped paying attention.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Am I the only one reading 'stay in the closet if you don't want to get gay-bashed' in the part about "better survival" or am I just feeling sensitive today as we're coming off Pride Month? Learn how to stay in your place to not offend hateful people? Just me?

I knew she was a Scientologist but she still came across normal-ish when she did Dancing with the Stars (internet says that was 2011). She's really gone off the deep end though and I stopped paying attention.

I'm not reading that exactly but I am thinking that she's trying to thread the needle between being gay and being a pedophile. Like "if you accept this, you'll accept pedophilia!"

So yeah, awful no matter how you slice and dice it.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm not reading that exactly but I am thinking that she's trying to thread the needle between being gay and being a pedophile. Like "if you accept this, you'll accept pedophilia!"

That's how it sounded to me. She's saying that since we can accept two people of the same sex being in love with each other we will also come to accept and adult tricking some child into thinking that their "relationship" is living when, in fact, it is abuse. 

Same sex relationships are consensual!!!!! BIG difference!

People like her terrify me!

• Love 21
On 7/1/2021 at 7:54 PM, Mabinogia said:

Same. I LOVE The Good Place. I ADORE Marc Evan Jackson. He does a Good Place podcast. I should be all over it. I tried. I really did, and realized a few minutes in that I had no idea what I'd just listened to. If that can't hold my attention there's no point trying any other podcast. It is just not a medium that works for me. 

I like listening to podcasts, but the stupid pandemic has pretty much made it impossible for me. I generally used to listen to them while commuting or while at the gym. But I work from home now and my gym is closed. If I just sit on the couch and listen to one I am pretty much guaranteed to fall asleep. And if I try to listen to one while doing something that requires more attention than sitting in a train or riding an exercise bike I always miss stuff.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

all this moral pearl clutching from a woman who stood on a stage in front of her peers and millions of tv viewers and thanked her husband for giving her the 'big one' every night?

She also had a sitcom post-Cheers called Veronica's Closet, where she played the titular head of a company that made and sold lingerie and "other bedroom accessories".

If she's still getting residuals from that, she really has no place to talk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Hypocrite! I guess those Jenny Craig infomercials went right through her head! She thinks she is Mother Teresa. Get out of here! Her lecturing on sitcoms....well, I have a bridge to sell you about the type of character you were on Cheers! And it wasn't pure.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Here's a piece from Ronan Farrow and Jia Tolentino. Britney's conservators must be shitting themselves.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/american-chronicles/britney-spears-conservatorship-nightmare

It really is a good overview of how so many people have failed her, including the justice system. 

Apparently the public was not supposed to hear the audio of Britney’s testimony so LA Courts are now ending remote audio program for people to listen to court hearings.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Here's a piece from Ronan Farrow and Jia Tolentino. Britney's conservators must be shitting themselves.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/american-chronicles/britney-spears-conservatorship-nightmare

Thanks for linking that! I always enjoy Farrow's investigative reporting--maybe enjoy not right word because of the subject matter, but I'm a fan of how he goes about it--and that's some of the most damning info I've seen on the context for the conservatorship. 

• Love 16
(edited)

I was surprised to see Jia Tolentino as the co-author of that piece.  Her parents were revealed to be human traffickers, which she somehow got scrubbed from Wikipedia.  I know that Ronan's father isn't some prince but everyone knows and Ronan's totally transparent about it and hasn't tried to hide anything.... 

EXvqKc1XgAADcSl.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

was surprised to see Jia Tolentino as the co-author of that piece.  Her parents were revealed to be human traffickers, which she somehow got scrubbed from Wikipedia.  I know that Ronan's father isn't some prince but everyone knows and Ronan's totally transparent about it and hasn't tried to hide anything.... 

It’s easily googleable and she Herself has addressed it on her website

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 11
  • Love 3