Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

(edited)
22 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Especially if they bring up her Chinese or American heritage as a negative.

Now if any of those sonsofbitches have anything else to say, NOW'S THE FUCKING TIME!!

I didn't think so.

This posting is adjourned.

😉

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

As it happens, yes.

Just saw the first commercial for House of Gucci, co-starring Lady Gaga. Her fake Italian accent makes me think of Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle, it's that bad. Full screen shots of 'Academy Award Winner' and 'Academy Award Nominee' interspersed with the cast. Even if it's meant to be an over-the-top soap opera, this looks like a disaster. The Gucci Family hates it.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

As it happens, yes.

Just saw the first commercial for House of Gucci, co-starring Lady Gaga. Her fake Italian accent makes me think of Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle, it's that bad. Full screen shots of 'Academy Award Winner' and 'Academy Award Nominee' interspersed with the cast. Even if it's meant to be an over-the-top soap opera, this looks like a disaster. The Gucci Family hates it.

Oh my word. I just watched that. I really like Lady Gaga, but she does sound just like Natasha. 

• LOL 3

I don't think it's that bad? But it reminds me of The Assassination of Gianni Versace and Trust. By which I mean, an expensive television series. I wouldn't want them to try to stretch it out to 6 or more episodes but... there's something a little half-baked about it. Actually those TV shows might be better. . I hope it's more disco and less of those gray sequences. I don't have a lot of faith in Ridley Scott.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

As it happens, yes.

There was a certain irony about an 'article' that was terribly written, talking about a terrible film.  I was so distracted by how bad the writer was that I could barely read the content. 

That being said, the Gucci's sound like they're angry because they weren't put on a pedestal and worshipped.  Agree that it looks like a disaster.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

There was a certain irony about an 'article' that was terribly written, talking about a terrible film.  I was so distracted by how bad the writer was that I could barely read the content. 

That being said, the Gucci's sound like they're angry because they weren't put on a pedestal and worshipped.  Agree that it looks like a disaster.

The author of that article seemed to be completely unfamiliar with the English language.  I don't place any credence on the Gucci family's opinion of the film; they were never going to approve of a film that didn't deify them.

Here's a clip comparing GaGa's accent to the real Patrizia's.  Patrizia's accent doesn't exactly sound Italian, either; although not as Natasha as GaGa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrdS7g5tfw

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

And Disney responds:

Disney issues scathing response to Scarlett Johansson's

Color me hard-pressed to care about a millionaire suing a billion-dollar company because she didn't get paid enough.

I'm no ScarJo fan, but this is an Avengers block buster starring a woman. I have no problem with her getting paid the same amounts as male stars. But yeah, probably going to suffer the COVID discount. 

• Love 18
(edited)
12 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'm no ScarJo fan, but this is an Avengers block buster starring a woman. I have no problem with her getting paid the same amounts as male stars. But yeah, probably going to suffer the COVID discount. 

It is hard to relate to someone complaining that the $20 million they were paid was not enough and they should've gotten $50 million.  And, yeah, in these strange times, I think she'd have a hard time proving that Disney didn't want to pay her as much as the guys, so they messed with the film's release.  Seemingly, many, many stars of these Avengers flicks have made 10's of millions and Disney happily signed the checks.  I presume they didn't think they'd be able to do the kind of business they'd normally expect from this kind of movie with a theater-only release which is why they co-released to Disney+ which already has a huge subscriber base.  I don't see how a single Avenger flick is going to cause a massive influx of new members to Disney plus.  However, I'm not part of the core demographic, so maybe I am missing something.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 10

I've known several people who've worked for Disney anywhere from park employees to animators and all the way back to the 1940's. And without exception Disney has mistreated and cheated every single one of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, bobalina said:

I've known several people who've worked for Disney anywhere from park employees to animators and all the way back to the 1940's. And without exception Disney has mistreated and cheated every single one of them.

Oh yes, the stories are legend here in the movie industry.  It's also hard to beat them, but I hope she does because a contract is a contract and if the clause says theatrical release only, then they should have renegotiated with her.  I'll go even a step further:  I think she should not only get a cut of what they brought in, but I think they should take that figure and double it because I can guarantee you that there were a lot of families out there who would have gone to the theater, but it was cheaper to pay $30 (and make your own snacks) than it was buying 3 or 4 tickets.  Hell, I'm willing to bet there were tons of households that had more than 4 friends and/or family members over to watch it at only $30.

• Love 18
38 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

because a contract is a contract and if the clause says theatrical release only, then they should have renegotiated with her.

Is that what the contract actually says or is that her legal team's interpretation of it though? And if it is something that is unclear does the contract have a claus about who gets to do the interpretation?

16 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

As it happens, yes.

I saw it last evening as well.  I'm a bit stunned that the producers of this film (and the industry in general) feels compelled to include a non actor in this sturdy cast.  Was there no talented actor available?  If they felt they needed a singer/songwriter in an acting role, so as to draw at the box office, then perhaps they should have just used their resources on another project.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

I believe it! They tried to stiff Peggy Lee for her contributions to Lady and the Tramp (1955)when they released it on video without compensating her but she fought back.

Oh, and I knew someone who never got to see third-run Disney flicks as a longterm resident pediatric  patient at Warm Springs, Georgia because the big wigs didn't want to chance  patient's parents or nurses skipping paying for the first and second runs in theaters then drive-ins to see them for free there. Thus,  all those physically challenged children living there did NOT get to see even the ,grainy, shopworn, overspliced copies of Disney flicks for that reason! Virtually every other studio in the '50's and '60's sent hospitals and institutions nationwide the 3rd run copies but not Disney!  And let's not forget that few if any movie theaters had handicap access.

• Useful 4
(edited)
5 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I saw it last evening as well.  I'm a bit stunned that the producers of this film (and the industry in general) feels compelled to include a non actor in this sturdy cast.  Was there no talented actor available?  If they felt they needed a singer/songwriter in an acting role, so as to draw at the box office, then perhaps they should have just used their resources on another project.  

Well, to be fair to Lady Gaga, she got a lot of acclaim for her performance in A Star is Born, so I don't know that it's quite fair to call her generally untalented at acting. And a lot of her music videos are like mini movies, and she can be pretty compelling in them. 

I think accent work might be a bridge too far for her, though. 

If you were directing that at Jared Leto, though, please carry on. LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I can guarantee you that there were a lot of families out there who would have gone to the theater, but it was cheaper to pay $30 (and make your own snacks) than it was buying 3 or 4 tickets. 

Raises hand.  It was a discussion at our house.  Glad we had the option and could choose to stay home, as it became too intense for me and I was able to come upstairs.  We also have children on the spectrum so appreciate when they can pace while watching.  If this becomes a new reality, the contracts need to be updated to reflect it because I know lots of families like ours who do best with the at home option.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm not a major fan of ScarJo but she I think she has every right to ask for her worth.  I get it. Most of us will never make that kind of money BUT a lot of us can identify with employers trying to guilt us into undercutting our fair market price while share holders and exces can fail their way to big bonuses.

She can ask, but don't expect me to care.  It really is nothing like people getting their hours reduced during the pandemic.  Many of those people do not have her money to fall back on.

• Love 12

I guess I just find it laughable that Disney, who had those parks open every second they legally could while paying the staff working there poverty wages, saying that Johansson is being shitty about covid.

I think it's wild that a rich company and a rich actor are fighting about who should get millions of dollars but at the end of the day, Johansson took a lower wage up front in order to make profits off of the box office. If that can't happen, she should be compensated in some way. Instead of splitting the box office with theatres, Disney gets to clear all the Disney+ money for themselves. They're just a greedy corporation so team Scarlett. I guess.

• Love 22

Here's a clip comparing GaGa's accent to the real Patrizia's.  Patrizia's accent doesn't exactly sound Italian, either; although not as Natasha as GaGa.

Thanks. That was helpful. Being pretty familiar with her music/music videos, I think the problem is that Gaga is going for generically foreign and not copying anything particular about Patrizia's accent. It would be easy enough to just take the way Patrizia's pronounces those "s" sounds and the cadence of her speech because she does sound like someone who doesn't have a very strong accent but at least from the clips in the trailer, it doesn't sound like she worked with a dialect coach.

SNL alum Michael Che wipes his Instagram posts after backlash involving Simone Biles jokes

He's an ass. Decently funny but this kind of stuff has always been part of his comedy.

“Michael Che comes for people he thinks he can get away with dunking on. Trans women, Black women, sexual assault survivors. Judging by his flimsy ‘I got hacked’ defense, it seems he had no idea how beloved Simone Biles is, or just how messed up it is to share a Larry Nasser joke,” said writer Delia Harrington.

Yup. No one who has seen his stand up (not the SNL stuff but his stand up) should be surprised.

2. Denzel Washington: $6.50 per $1
3. Will Ferrell: $6.80 per $1

4. Liam Neeson: $7.80 per $1

I was surprised at Will Ferrell because I had a hard time remembering his last few movies without imdb. I'm guessing it has something to do with him being a producer. With Denzel, I think it's the gamble. He gets paid appropriately but the movie can make a ton of money or very little money. Also, is that just based on box office numbers? Because a lot of trash movies make their money on VOD. That's my guess for Liam Neeson. Surprised Bruce Willis isn't also on there.

HA! That fat suit is doing a lot of work. Adam Driver's accent wasn't amazing either. To me, that points to a director/production issue if everyone is flailing a bit.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Johansson took a lower wage up front in order to make profits off of the box office. If that can't happen, she should be compensated in some way.

Isn't that always the risk when you take percentage of something vs a fixed payment? Especially since the studio and their distributor control the marketing of a movie and the number of screens it is in.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She can ask, but don't expect me to care.  It really is nothing like people getting their hours reduced during the pandemic.  Many of those people do not have her money to fall back on.

I don't think it matters how much money one has.  People want to be paid a fair market value wage. I don't think she's asking one to care either.

21 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Isn't that always the risk when you take percentage of something vs a fixed payment? Especially since the studio and their distributor control the marketing of a movie and the number of screens it is in.

Possibly with an indie movie.  But a Marvel movie?  I don't think so no.  The understood risk is that people may not come to see it in theaters and its shelf life will run short so no back end money.  It's not anticipated that a company will compete with itself by releasing something through another platform. 

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I guess I just find it laughable that Disney, who had those parks open every second they legally could while paying the staff working there poverty wages, saying that Johansson is being shitty about covid.

I think it's wild that a rich company and a rich actor are fighting about who should get millions of dollars but at the end of the day, Johansson took a lower wage up front in order to make profits off of the box office. If that can't happen, she should be compensated in some way. Instead of splitting the box office with theatres, Disney gets to clear all the Disney+ money for themselves. They're just a greedy corporation so team Scarlett. I guess.

I think they both suck.

15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think it matters how much money one has.  People want to be paid a fair market value wage. I don't think she's asking one to care either.

I think it does matter.

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Possibly with an indie movie.  But a Marvel movie?  I don't think so no.  The understood risk is that people may not come to see it in theaters and its shelf life will run short so no back end money.  It's not anticipated that a company will compete with itself by releasing something through another platform. 

I guess it all depends on exactly what the contract says.  Disney will end up paying lawyers more money than what she's asking for.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Well, to be fair to Lady Gaga, she got a lot of acclaim for her performance in A Star is Born, so I don't know that it's quite fair to call her generally untalented at acting. And a lot of her music videos are like mini movies, and she can be pretty compelling in them. 

I think accent work might be a bridge too far for her, though. 

Acclaim is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  I'm merely some schmuck who actually pays for a ticket, not a highly paid reviewer, so...

For me, she is an awesome vocalist who should consider sticking to that.  I realize others don't agree.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Acclaim is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  I'm merely some schmuck who actually pays for a ticket, not a highly paid reviewer, so...

For me, she is an awesome vocalist who should consider sticking to that.  I realize others don't agree.

And I can certainly understand that! Definitely seems like she's getting more media attention for anything but music in recent years, whether it's forays into acting or people kidnapping her pets. (?!) 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

It is hard to relate to someone complaining that the $20 million they were paid was not enough and they should've gotten $50 million.  And, yeah, in these strange times, I think she'd have a hard time proving that Disney didn't want to pay her as much as the guys, so they messed with the film's release.

Crying that you didn't get to force people to crowd into theaters while the Covid cases are climbing because the millions you have aren't enough for you is not a good look for ScarJo. 

I guess my thousandaire self will just not get why $20 million isn't enough for a few months work, work which, while hard, is also, from all they say and show, extremely fun. 

Won't be paying to watch her movie now. It'll be free somewhere, sometimes. Shame, as I'd like to support female led superhero movies and so far Wonder Woman is the only one I really liked. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Crying that you didn't get to force people to crowd into theaters while the Covid cases are climbing because the millions you have aren't enough for you is not a good look for ScarJo. 

I guess my thousandaire self will just not get why $20 million isn't enough for a few months work, work which, while hard, is also, from all they say and show, extremely fun. 

Won't be paying to watch her movie now. It'll be free somewhere, sometimes. Shame, as I'd like to support female led superhero movies and so far Wonder Woman is the only one I really liked. 

She's not forcing anyone to go to a theater. And this is about Disney breaching a other contract and stealing from yet another actor.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

They could have held the release another year.  They could have approached her and renegotiated her contract.  

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Is that what the contract actually says or is that her legal team's interpretation of it though? And if it is something that is unclear does the contract have a claus about who gets to do the interpretation?

My understanding is that once the release was moving to streaming, she wanted to renegotiate the initial contract. And I think Disney is the bad guy here. From this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/29/scarlett-johansson-suing-disney-black-widow-streaming-wars

(from a previous article) Johansson claims that her salary was based on the box office performance of the film, which opened strong with $80m in the US but suffered the steepest second week decline of any entry within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, dropping 67%.  

(from the article quoted above) Its underwhelming theatrical showing (the film suffered a 67% decline in its second weekend stateside, the worst for any MCU movie) has been attributed directly to its availability at home and Johansson’s original contract guaranteed her a share of its box office receipts which are now far less than expected.

Another articles (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/29/scarlett-johansson-suing-disney-black-widow-streaming-release) explains that

The complaint claims that Johansson’s lawyers reached out in 2019 to Disney with concerns about the film being given a multi-platform release. They later tried to renegotiate her contract after the release strategy was changed.

Clearly, the renegotiation went to nought. Now, I am aware that actors get paid amounts that only CEOs maybe don't find excessive, but the thing is that a deal is a deal, as I see it, and if an actor generate shitloads of money and by contract they are entitled to a percentage of it, it is very wrong to deny them that right.  

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I guess it all depends on exactly what the contract says.  Disney will end up paying lawyers more money than what she's asking for.

Could be, but there's a potentially huge precedent to consider.  The courts are likely going to be heavily populated with cases related to streaming/OD for the foreseeable future. 

Some thoughts - 

1. I don't follow the entertainment industry closely, but hasn't the film industry been suffering in general for several years (pre-COVID)?  If that is the case, then actors should perhaps be prepared to see salaries drop or at least be differently configured.  Let's face it, the studios/production companies are going to get theirs first.  
  2. As to actors like SJ configuring contracts relating to box office, this is a bit like an independent contractor.  I was one for 20-some years; taking a percentage of the sale vs. a salary/benefits, etc., and I made more money BUT I was taking a big risk.  A risk that bit me squarely in the ass when the recession hit.  My income dropped 70% practically overnight.  My analogy may not be perfect, but I feel like it's a similar situation.  Risk/reward.
  • Love 7

I sort of feel like ScarJo and Disney are both being unreasonable. 

When she agreed to take a cut of the box office, she was banking on making more money. And not unreasonably. But there's nothing to say that without a pandemic that something else might have popped up that would have affected the box office receipts. Like the movie getting slammed by critics and audiences and people avoiding it in droves or even some controversy being attached to the film or one of the actors and that causing people to steer clear. When she made that decision, if she didn't accept that there was a chance it would backfire, then maybe she needs to opt out of those agreements and go back to a flat fee. She took a calculated risk--and it didn't pay off the way she expected to, as often happens in business decisions. 

I don't think Disney was wrong to make the decision it did in the middle of a pandemic. But I do think Disney is being unreasonable in not trying to renegotiate with her when they realized they were not going to be able to follow what they had agreed on regarding a theatrical release first. I doubt in that situation that she would have made as much as she was hoping to make, either, but it would seem like the common sense thing to do when current events force you to renege on some aspects of an agreement. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Link

Didn't the Krasinski's have a similar complaint with Paramont regarding A Quiet Place 2?  I know that movie was exclusivly in theaters but their complaint was that the movie wasn't in theaters as long as had been agreed upon.  Can't make as much on the back end if the theatrical window isn't honored.  

Edited to add link.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Isn't the larger issue that studios don't want to pay anything (like royalties or residuals) to creatives for streaming?  I feel like ScarJo's lawsuit could help set a precedent or path for other creatives (writers, etc) who have been shut out of being paid for their work once it went to streaming.

Edited by MaiaH
  • Useful 1
  • Love 23