Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh! I missed this comment! I was typing on my phone last night.

Yes, so true. I can think of a few others offhand who are so private and refuse to have a social platform for their work. So I suppose this is just for new and upcoming authors. So what I'm reading is, it's now a requirement? And I guess that means they shouldn't bother to get a publicist because the publishers want the authors to be their own publicists? That is so whack.

A social media presence doesn’t have to be handled by the the person. Any good publicist should be adapt at handling social media. 

Just now, Dani said:

A social media presence doesn’t have to be handled by the the person. Any good publicist should be adapt at handling social media. 

I would hope most of them do exactly that.  The ones that get overly into social media almost always seem to get burned. Occasionally I check out the FB page for an author or other well known personality and it's pretty obvious the "name" involved isn't really involved.  It's a way to promote their newest book or whatever, not usually a way of connecting personally with fans.  As long as they aren't pretending to actually be that person I'm fine with that.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

. So I suppose this is just for new and upcoming authors. So what I'm reading is, it's now a requirement? And I guess that means they shouldn't bother to get a publicist because the publishers want the authors to be their own publicists? That is so whack.

Nope not  just up and coming. Laura Lippmann has spoken about her need to tweet in these times even that she has had both successful series and critical acclaimed novels.  I adore the contrast between her Twitter account and her husband, David Simon. Nothing is ever better then when someone tells David Simon’s take is wrong and maybe he should watch The Wire!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, so true. I can think of a few others offhand who are so private and refuse to have a social platform for their work. So I suppose this is just for new and upcoming authors. So what I'm reading is, it's now a requirement? And I guess that means they shouldn't bother to get a publicist because the publishers want the authors to be their own publicists? That is so whack.

Depends on the individual, I would imagine. A friend of mine has worked in publishing for years and has published three or four novels of her own over the last couple of years, so I've learned a fair bit about the publishing world of today from her. She  does a huge amount of publicity for her own and other peoples' books via social media - and she does it all herself, it isn't an agent posting for her. There is a community of writers on social media and many of them support one another and assist with publicity for one another. Those who can afford it, who are better known, might hire agents or publicists who post for them, but those just starting out, yes, tend to handle a lot of the advertising themselves, leaning on friends, relatives, and acquaintances on social media to help generate 'buzz'.

(Speaking of which, if you have kids aged 8-10 who love dragons and wizards, you should totally buy them my friend's books! The Dragon in the Library series! It is fab!)

(Every little helps 😉)

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Depends on the individual, I would imagine. A friend of mine has worked in publishing for years and has published three or four novels of her own over the last couple of years, so I've learned a fair bit about the publishing world of today from her. She  does a huge amount of publicity for her own and other peoples' books via social media - and she does it all herself, it isn't an agent posting for her. There is a community of writers on social media and many of them support one another and assist with publicity for one another. Those who can afford it, who are better known, might hire agents or publicists who post for them, but those just starting out, yes, tend to handle a lot of the advertising themselves, leaning on friends, relatives, and acquaintances on social media to help generate 'buzz'.

(Speaking of which, if you have kids aged 8-10 who love dragons and wizards, you should totally buy them my friend's books! The Dragon in the Library series! It is fab!)

(Every little helps 😉)

Yes you see a lot of writer lifts on Twitter where they all follow each other back. It backfires on some of them because that seems to be the only content they post is shout-outs for people to follow them. To the point that I am now seeing people on there posting and asking if anyone in the writing community doesn't do that because they would rather follow them instead to see actual content. LOL But for the most part, when writers are dipping their toes into social media for the first time, their best bet for sympathetic interaction that isn't their friends or family is other people in the writing community. You see them posting a lot of vague updates on writing and querying. 

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, it's kind of like the difference between being Bill Gates and someone trying to get in an entry-level position at Microsoft. He doesn't have to do the things they do because he's already at the top. That being said, I think more affluent budding writers are paying for publicists and marketing help. They also pay for writing coaches to walk them through the process. It's the ones who don't have money who are stuck doing it all themselves. Smaller publishers are more likely to not require a platform, but they are increasingly requiring that as well. I worked for a small niche publisher a couple of years ago that didn't really consider anyone subbing who didn't already have a platform. It's especially emphasized with nonfiction. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1

A large social media following is a built in audience. It makes writers/actors a better bet for publishers and producers. It means less money spent promoting the project. If an author/actor's single tweet reaches 120k followers, and it gets retweeted, that publicity for free. 

I don't know who Lindsay Ellis is, but I'm just weary of dogpiling on women for having snarky, occasionally tone-deaf, opinions, when men have been doing it, and being praised for it, for decades. Maybe I'm just at a point where I'm ready to given women second, third, fourth, fifth, eighth chances while holding "successful" men to a much higher standard. 

• Love 14
1 minute ago, BlackberryJam said:

A large social media following is a built in audience. It makes writers/actors a better bet for publishers and producers. It means less money spent promoting the project. If an author/actor's single tweet reaches 120k followers, and it gets retweeted, that publicity for free. 

I don't know who Lindsay Ellis is, but I'm just weary of dogpiling on women for having snarky, occasionally tone-deaf, opinions, when men have been doing it, and being praised for it, for decades. Maybe I'm just at a point where I'm ready to given women second, third, fourth, fifth, eighth chances while holding "successful" men to a much higher standard. 

From what I saw on Twitter yesterday, the mob that descended upon Lindsay is the same one that shows up with metaphorical pitchforks whenever a YA author steps out of line.  That particular mob is brutal and does not understand nuance.  They hold people to impossibly high standards and do not back down.  I'm not saying that Lindsay is innocent here or that she handled it correctly, but when that mob catches your scent there is little you can do.  I saw the inciting tweet on either Friday or Saturday, and just scrolled on by.  It wasn't until I logged in later that I saw some pushback, and I missed Lindsay defending herself and eventual flounce.  Mostly because, I have a life outside of the Internet and I like to sleep.  Lindsay is one of those Internet Personalities I know of, but I have never been a huge follower of.  I will watch one of her videos upon occasion, but only when I know agree with her opinions.  

• Love 6

I was like... why is there recent Armie Hammer news? I thought he was just under investigation and there wouldn't be updates for a while. But apparently because I care so little about him, I didn't realize how many projects he's in. There are guesses that he won't be in the Call Me By Your Name sequel and a non-story about how it's too difficult to cut him out of Death on the Nile. https://deadline.com/2021/03/armie-hammer-sex-scandal-death-on-the-nile-release-date-change-lapd-1234720509/

Anyway, to lighten things up a little...

• LOL 12
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

There are guesses that he won't be in the Call Me By Your Name sequel

Ugh.  I thought he was really creepy in that role and that was before all of this came out.  I can't even imagine him being in the movie now.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Ugh.  I thought he was really creepy in that role and that was before all of this came out.  I can't even imagine him being in the movie now.

I wondered who would be the next person they cast. Any guesses?

• Love 1

It's being reported Sharon Osbourne will get a $5-$10 million payout for quitting The Talk. I'm sure it's because of her contract but it grinds my gears she's essentially getting rewarded for being an abusive bigot. And she'll be able to "speak freely." I'm pretty sure what we all heard was her speaking freely, this is now the blowback. Like many people, she seems to think saying whatever you want exists without consequences. In a previous era she would now be toxic, sure the networks won't touch her, but I hope she won't get other television work after this.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

It's being reported Sharon Osbourne will get a $5-$10 million payout for quitting The Talk. I'm sure it's because of her contract but it grinds my gears she's essentially getting rewarded for being an abusive bigot. And she'll be able to "speak freely." I'm pretty sure what we all heard was her speaking freely, this is now the blowback. Like many people, she seems to think saying whatever you want exists without consequences. In a previous era she would now be toxic, sure the networks won't touch her, but I hope she won't get other television work after this.

At times like this, I wish we had a BOOOOO!!!! Icon! 

P.S. It's not as though she was having to sell plasma and scrounge garbage cans for uneaten Ramen noodles to survive.

P.P.S. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 14
On 3/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, biakbiak said:

Tig Notaro was required to get a Twitter account for one of her projects but instead of using it herself she has a variety of friends and up and coming comedians use it. The person who uses it always does an introductory post but my favorite thing is when someone retweets something of her not realizing it and it goes sort of viral with an opinion that is clearly something she would not think!

This is really just a missed opportunity to @ Taylor Dayne every day. 

Edited by OllieSocks
  • Love 2
On 3/26/2021 at 8:06 AM, merylinkid said:

Chrissy Teigen was subjected to sexual and racial harassment on line.   Chrissy Teigen is a twit who craves attention, hence the oversharing and interaction with "randos" online.   Both can be true.   The latter does not make the former acceptable ("well she put herself out there what did she expect?").  I never got why she is famous either.   But then I don't get the whole "influencer" thing.   I figure you have to have DONE something or be an expert or something to be able to "influence" others.   Because why would you do something, buy something, wear something just because some twit on Instagram was promoting it?     

She is a pretty big celebrity chef.  Her cookbooks are enormous bestsellers.  Her line Cravings has a website and a line of cookware that is always sold out.  Isn't that influential?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Well, Adeena Sussman is a chef. Chrissy is no more a chef than Gwyneth Paltrow or Oprah who also have cookbooks. 

There are people with skills or a profession who then become influential because of that thing. Think Carla Hall from Top Chef or Chip and Joanna Gaines.

And then there are people who are attractive, rich, charming, or otherwise have enviable bodies or lifestyles and they sell things based on the specific (e.g. diet teas, exercise equipment, waist trainers, skincare, makeup) or vague (e.g. bedding, organizers, technology) notion that using the same things they claim to use or doing the same things they claim to do (e.g. wake up early, keep a daily diary, take cold showers, run 5 miles a day) will get you closer to what you covet about them. They might have a skill but it doesn't have to be related to what they're selling you. None of these people need to display any kind of spirituality to sell you tarot cards or crystals. Expertise is irrelevant. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
On 3/29/2021 at 7:16 AM, aradia22 said:

@Zella I guess I'm more sensitive to it because I would love to be a writer but I'm a person who has been online for years and never amassed any kind of substantial following (for writing or just on social media). I don't know how I'd even go about it unless I suddenly tried to court controversy and post hot takes.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:40 AM, Mabinogia said:

Same here. I would love to be a writer, I have no interest at all in being any kind of "celebrity". I like the idea of sharing thoughts about my work, but I don't want to have to cultivate any kind of following or make any kind of name for myself on social media. I just want to tell stories.

Step one. Write the stories you want to write. Then start thinking about publication. Then start thinking about social media. No putting cart before horse. I have never read a book from a social media personality. I have read many books by writers. Some turned into SMPs, like John Scalzi. But he is a writer first.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Well, Adeena Sussman is a chef. Chrissy is no more a chef than Gwyneth Paltrow or Oprah who also have cookbooks. 

The term chef has a specific meaning that Chrissy has never called herself but she is a cook, by the way Adeema Sussman also doesn’t label herself a chef but a cook and writer. She had a food/recipe blog in the early aughts long before she had the level of fame she currently has and was “just” a working model who wasn’t a household name and before she met John. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I heartily recommend watching this.  It is really interesting. If you saw the Angela Bassett/Laurence Fishburne movie you know some of the big stuff, but there are some interesting revelations.  Also the post break up comeback is really fascinating to watch come together.  Also that moment with the slur was shocking to me.  It is .... interesting how you let your guard down because people are so good at disguising casual racism and that was just a needle scratch.  It was just so unexpected in that moment.

Also, right after we finished it, my HBO algorithm recommendations recommended The Lost Boys. Of course because Tina Turner's very oiled up and muscular sax player is in that movie.  LOL

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I just watched the "Tina" documentary on HBO. When I heard that quote using the "n-word" I was shocked, so I'm glad Capitol addressed this.

To me, the only thing shocking about it is that someone called it out, albeit 30 years later.  No doubt this was normal culture in those circles then, and probably behind-closed-doors culture now.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cynicat said:

To me, the only thing shocking about it is that someone called it out, albeit 30 years later.  No doubt this was normal culture in those circles then, and probably behind-closed-doors culture now.

While I agree 'better late than never', it's sad that it took 30 years to address it (and they kept the ID of the exec anonymous- even though he's supposedly dead)- and just because it was supposedly 'normal' and or 'behind closed doors' doesn't make it good,right or acceptable .

Edited by Blergh
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

While I agree 'better late than never', it's sad that it took 30 years to address it (and they kept the ID of the exec anonymous- even though he's supposedly dead)- and just because it was supposedly 'normal' and or 'behind closed doors' doesn't make it good,right or acceptable .

According to the link given, the interview where John Carter (died 2011) reveals this occurred in 2009.   So it's been known, just not to the general public.  Capitol knows it was Don Zimmerman (who definitely died in 2020) because he was president of Capitol Records at the time of the incident.  Plus, the article states Zimmerman himself told the story for a history of Capitol Records, although - of course - he totally omitted using the "N" word.  

3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Comments I read yesterday in this regard were that it was acceptable 30 years ago for this word to be used.  No it absolutely was not!  Do people not get that 30 years ago puts us in the '90s?  You'd think from the comments I read that we're talking about the '30s.  Just c'mon people.

It was actually 40 years ago because it was the 80's but yeah, 100% in agreement.  It's still going on in 2021, thus all the angry people who want to be racist in peace whining about "cancel culture".  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
On 3/29/2021 at 9:00 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:
On 3/26/2021 at 5:06 AM, merylinkid said:

Chrissy Teigen was subjected to sexual and racial harassment on line.   Chrissy Teigen is a twit who craves attention, hence the oversharing and interaction with "randos" online.   Both can be true.   The latter does not make the former acceptable ("well she put herself out there what did she expect?").  I never got why she is famous either.   But then I don't get the whole "influencer" thing.   I figure you have to have DONE something or be an expert or something to be able to "influence" others.   Because why would you do something, buy something, wear something just because some twit on Instagram was promoting it?     

She is a pretty big celebrity chef.  Her cookbooks are enormous bestsellers.  Her line Cravings has a website and a line of cookware that is always sold out.  Isn't that influential?  

But the question is *why* she is influential (if I may put words in @Ms Blue Jay's mouth), not *whether* she is influential. She sells cookbooks because she's famous, not because she has formal training or expertise or is even necessarily better at it than any other untrained "good" cook. At least the amateur bakers on The Great British Baking Show can say they won a baking competition. She just...likes to cook and has connections.

Her stardom perplexes me. She's not witty or charming or interesting. She doesn't seem to have any special talents (other than working to get herself famous). She's not pretty. I realize others may have differing opinions, but I just don't see it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

But the question is *why* she is influential (if I may put words in @Ms Blue Jay's mouth), not *whether* she is influential. She sells cookbooks because she's famous, not because she has formal training or expertise or is even necessarily better at it than any other untrained "good" cook. At least the amateur bakers on The Great British Baking Show can say they won a baking competition. She just...likes to cook and has connections.

Her stardom perplexes me. She's not witty or charming or interesting. She doesn't seem to have any special talents (other than working to get herself famous). She's not pretty. I realize others may have differing opinions, but I just don't see it.

She influential because there are people who like her. It’s really not anymore complicated than that. 

There are plenty of famous people I don’t see the appeal of but I also don’t feel every famous person needs to appeal to me. Regardless of her talent or lack there of, she is a good business woman who has capitalized on her popularity. 

Edited by Guest

Chrissy Teigen was a model who has been on the cover of Sports Illustrated.  She was hired to work on John Legend's music video.  Then they got married, and she gave up modelling to be a mom.  

The fact that she's half Thai is definitely appealing to a lot of people who love Thai food and want to learn more cooking.  She makes it easy and accessible.  Her Thai mother even has a cookbook now.  

I have Chrissy's two cookbooks and they're great.  I went from not cooking at all to becoming obsessed with it over the past year.  Obviously, the pandemic was the catalyst, but she helped.

This isn't even getting into her social media "stardom".  She became huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mostly because of Twitter.  It's very easy to Google how that happened.  That's what catapulted Chrissy into "larger than life" stardom, beyond the modelling, beyond John Legend, and beyond the cooking. She's a celebrity "personality" because of that and she's using that fame to start a bunch of businesses.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Dani said:

She influential because there are people who like her. It’s really not any more complicated than that. 

There are plenty of famous people I don’t see the appeal of but I also don’t feel every famous person needs to appeal to me. Regardless of her talent or lack there of, she is a good business woman who has capitalized on her popularity. 

Exactly.

• Love 4

I really recommend them!   Especially the second one if you're more interested in Thai cooking.  The second one has way more Thai meals.  But I've used both a lot.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 3/29/2021 at 11:40 PM, aradia22 said:

Is that the same Adeena Sussman whose cookbook Hungry for More is co-authored by Chrissy Teigan?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dani said:

She influential because there are people who like her. It’s really not anymore complicated than that. 

I'm not fan of "influencer" as a money-making enterprise, but there is no doubt that it works. There is a whole bloat of reality stars who've gone on to make their living that way. I see absolutely no appeal with most of them, but they aren't trying to sell to me. I can't say they are talented or interesting, but some people like them and are willing to purchase the things they promote. 

• Love 5

I'm not a big fan of people being famous for fame's sake either, like the Kardashians.  But I can't really argue it away, they're obviously extremely popular.  I like Chrissy's cookbooks, it's pretty simple.  I agree, Instagram /the influential lifestyle is a whole thing that is truly beyond me.  I don't even think Instagram would exist if KK did not become so superfamous.  Things would be really different I think.  

• Love 5

That's valid.  Not everyone is for everyone.

Interestingly, Chrissy's trajectory isn't all that different from Martha Stewart's who also had no formal training as a cook. She was a history major in school.  She started out as a model learned about canning, sewing and cooking from her mother.  She began a catering business in her basement.  And it was Martha's husband that got her noticed by a major publisher when he had her cater a book launch and voila, cookbooks and fame as a "lifestyle" guru.

There are many paths to a profession.  And frankly I have had much better luck with Chrissy' recipes than I've had with Martha's.  I hearitly recommend Chrissy's spicy miso pasta recipe (it is online) if you like miso and want an interesting Asian twist on a classic carbonara.

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

There are many paths to a profession.  And frankly I have had much better luck with Chrissy' recipes than I've had with Martha's. 

Ina Garten also wasn't a trained chef.  She went to the school of Julia Child's cookbooks and her recipes have been on point for me.  I think that's the thing.  I typically would rather buy a book from a cook who is used to working off of recipes and sharing recipes than chefs. 

Chefs know a lot more about cooking but I think it can be hard for them to translate that knowledge into recipes for us home cooks to recreate. Or they create recipes but are told by their publishers that they can't have a recipe calling for a pound of butter in their green bean recipe because home cooks would be appalled...even if that's how you "make it taste good." It gets altered and it ends up tasting NOTHING like it did in the restaurant. 

Chrissy was one of the briefcase holders on Deal or No Deal. That show is a launching pad.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Is that the same Adeena Sussman whose cookbook Hungry for More is co-authored by Chrissy Teigan?

Yep. Most chefs and cooks have co-writers on cookbooks because making a well written cookbook is a skill in itself. Several of the recipes that are in Chrissy’s cookbook particularly her first one were from her original food blog and long before she met Adeema. Chrissy has also stated that she knows that many of the reasons that have happened for her are because of SM, John etc. but that doesn’t mean she is just a figurehead who doesn’t do the work.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 11

No matter how much of your life that you've spent since the sorrowful event, it's part of you. It's always there. But like I said, we're all different: I might have aroused anger in people who say, 'They've gone to heaven and are alive and right beside you.' I don't mean to deny that — that's your belief. I wish I believed that." 

^From the Shatner interview.  He expressed exactly how I feel about this.  Somehow I didn't expect to read that article and agree with him about anything!  Live and learn 🙂 .

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'm not fan of "influencer" as a money-making enterprise, but there is no doubt that it works. There is a whole bloat of reality stars who've gone on to make their living that way. I see absolutely no appeal with most of them, but they aren't trying to sell to me. I can't say they are talented or interesting, but some people like them and are willing to purchase the things they promote. 

Influencers have been around forever. At one point rich executives hand picked them and gave them a forum in the hopes people would like them and spend money. Social media has cut out the middle man allowing people to present themselves to the public. I don’t always like the results but appreciate that it has put more power into the hands of content creators. 

Britney Spears, and speculation on what she actually thinks, blew up again today. 

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a35990365/britney-spears-reacts-to-framing-britney-spears-doc/

In a nutshell, she said she hasn't seen the documentary but is "embarrassed" by it, "cried for two weeks" over it, and didn't like "the light they put me in". 

Seems open and shut, right?  That she doesn't want anything to do with #FreeBritney...  Except... 

Some are claiming she doesn't really control her own social media... 

https://pagesix.com/2021/03/31/britney-spears-allegedly-not-in-control-of-social-media-posts/

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Wheel of Fortune contestant loses over technicality and fans aren't having it

I hate to play Devil's advocate, but I think they made the right decision. Your thoughts?

Rules are rules.  I remember this exchange on one round of The Wheel of Fortune a hundred years ago:

Contestant 1:  I'd like to solve the puzzle:  The New York Mets

Sajack:  I'm sorry, that's wrong

Contestant 2:  New York Jets

Sajack:  I'm sorry, that's wrong.

Contestant 3:  New York Mets

Sajack:  You are correct!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3