Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah when they first named Apple, I thought it was one of the dumbest celeb baby names I'd ever heard. I think it's still pretty goofy, but it seems downright tame to me now compared to some of the other infamous ones. 

At least people should be able to spell/pronounce it correctly.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

You don't have to wonder about the first question.  It's part of the show.  For the US version, 30 contestants go into the pods with the potential of 15 engagements/pairings.  Each season, there have been eight engagements but only 6 are shown/followed on camera and go to Mexico  The other two couples don't go on the trip.  Some stay together for a while but none of them got married.  That you wouldn't know from the show but from interviews. 

Of the engaged couples that get followed, usually 2 of the 6 couples actually go through with the wedding in the show's finale. The first season was filmed in Nov. 2018.  The two couples who married at that time are still together.  They're approaching 4 years. The second season are at about one year.

Another weird thing about attributing it to insecurity is that they kind of cast for insecurity.  They want messes for drama.

Thanks, the numbers are about what I expected. After 10 years, I doubt more than 1 or 2 couples are still married. 

46 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

At least people should be able to spell/pronounce it correctly.

True. I don't think one can also underestimate how much I well and truly hate apples either in evaluating my response to the name. 

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Parents really should resist the urge to be cutesy with names.   They aren't the ones who have go through life explaining it.   

Earlier today I realized that ABC News's Tom Llamas is probably Thomas Llamas. I don't like the idea of rhyming names.

10 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

There have been lots of Daisy's.

But I think the person's issue was that it's Daisy Bloom.

8 hours ago, Notabug said:

Bob Geldof and Paula Yates had Peaches Honeyblossom.  They also had Fifi Trixibelle and Little Pixie.  

I'm sorry but all of these sound like terms of endearment for dogs. (My dog, by the way, is Daisy, but I don't mind that for a person.)

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

There is no culture where Pilot Inspecktor and Moxie Crimefighter make perfect sense.

Well, I don't know. If one of my Filipino cousins named their kids this, I wouldn't be very surprised.  However, as far as I know, none of the above's parents are Filipino, so...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

The late singer Martha Raye named her only child (by her 4th husband Nick Condos) Melodye (pronounced 'melody') but sadly their bond seemed to have nothing but sour notes from Day One!.

• Useful 1

In 50-60 years the retirement and nursing homes are going to be full of Ayden/Brayden/Caydens.

Non-famous child with the terrible name Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii went to court and the judge considered it so egregious he made her a ward of the court so she could change it. in New Zealand. He said “The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child’s parents have shown in choosing this name for her. It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap quite unnecessarily.”

And I've seen the name Abcde pop up in last few years, pronounced 'ab-cee-dee'.

• Sad 6
  • Love 3

On the subject of celebrities giving their children unusual names, I've got some I'd wager almost no-one else has heard of.

In South Korea, there's a reggae artist/variety show host named Ha Dong-Hoon, but he goes by the stage name of Ha-Ha.  He is married to a singer named Kim Go-Eun, but she goes by the stage name Byul, which is the Korean word for "star".

A few years ago, they had their first child.  A son they named Dream.  Not the Korean word for "dream"; the English word "Dream".  Full name: Ha Dream.  (In Korean, the surname comes first.)

After that, they had two more children: a second son named Ha Soul, and a daughter named Ha Song.  Again, the English words for both names.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, janie jones said:

But I think the person's issue was that it's Daisy Bloom.

I know but for some reason that doesn't sound too cute or weird to me.  Unlike Rob Morrow naming his kid Tu.  I remember when that happened and I thought he thinks he is being clever but that poor child is going to grow up with people thinking she is joking about her name.  

I have a job that requires me to talk to our customers on the phone a lot.  I have heard some really interesting names.  The latest one was Welcome Hill.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, willco said:

I've never understood these celebs picking the hard to spell names- don't they realize that the poor kid is going to be spelling that out for people, over and over, for the rest of their lives ?

The obscenely rich celebs will have the kid's nannies do the talking until they're old enough to have their own staff. 

And everybody will know exactly who the kid is before they ever get where they're going.  It's not like they'll ever be in a public school, sitting and waiting to be called in a doctor's office or standing in line at the DMV. 

The kids will have their people make any necessary contacts.  Anybody really think Blue Ivy or North West do or will do anything like that for themselves?   Not in a million....

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

At least this celeb insanity is one thing people won't be able to accuse Britany Spears of.

Honestly though, I think the naming thing is just something that celebs have in common with the rabble.  My own name has been a burden, but I survived high school with it  These kids will deal or just change them.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ouinason said:

At least this celeb insanity is one thing people won't be able to accuse Britany Spears of.

Idk, her one son is Jayden with a 'y'.  Which admittedly pretty mild when it comes to name insanity.

My own name was inspired by the Swedish opera singer Jenny Lind, but my mother talked my father out of actually naming me that.  A shame, really, because that would've at least been a little different from the vast horde of "Jennifer Lynn"s I've known since.

1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

Spain does not mess around when it comes to unpaid taxes.

Will Smith has posted an apology video

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/will-smith-chris-rock-apology-video-oscars-slap-1235329131/

No, they do not.

As for Will Smith, it's too little, too late, imo.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I know but for some reason that doesn't sound too cute or weird to me.  Unlike Rob Morrow naming his kid Tu.  I remember when that happened and I thought he thinks he is being clever but that poor child is going to grow up with people thinking she is joking about her name.  

I believe I remember an interview or something where Rob Morrow's wife's family has a history of pun names. I am unsure of what her name is, and am too lazy at this moment to look it up.  Not that it makes the name spectacular or anything, but may explain their reasoning behind it. I could also be not misremembering it as well. I blame it on too much wine.

• Wink 2
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I believe I remember an interview or something where Rob Morrow's wife's family has a history of pun names. I am unsure of what her name is, and am too lazy at this moment to look it up.  Not that it makes the name spectacular or anything, but may explain their reasoning behind it. I could also be not misremembering it as well. I blame it on too much wine.

I remember reading that. His wife's name is Debbon Ayer.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Idk, her one son is Jayden with a 'y'. 

I taught a Jaden, a Jadyn, and a Jaydin last year. I don't think Britney's kid's name, including its spelling, will raise any eyebrows.

On 7/28/2022 at 8:40 PM, janie jones said:

I'm sorry but all of these sound like terms of endearment for dogs.

I like Jonny Lee Miller as an actor, but my estimation of him as a person went down somewhat when I discovered he named his son Buster.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 7/28/2022 at 12:07 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Men have been named August for centuries, but I will concede that the month was named after a person

Correction: "Augustus" is an honorific. His birth name was Gaius Octavianus, later Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus ("Octavian") after Julius Caesar adopted him as his son. After Octavian managed to secure practical absolute control over the Roman state, the Senate bestowed upon him the title of "Augustus", which he then used as his official name afterward. Augustus would also officially use "Imperator" and "Caesar" within his name, the former to assert he commanded the military and the latter to assert his ties to adoptive father. He did this (along with collecting numerous other titles) so that he could claim absolute power and be, effectively, a monarch without actually re-establishing the monarchy, a concept the Romans hated. All of Augustus' successors would also use the titles of "Augustus", "Imperator" and "Caesar" (among many other titles they saw fit to use) to continue with this façade until Diocletian formally ended it by actually creating the office of the emperor at the end of the 3rd century. The title he chose for the office was "Augustus", which was the title for every Roman Emperor thereafter.

Anyway, apologies for this massive off-topic swerve but I couldn't let it slide. History- especially Rome- is my thing, so I can't miss an opportunity to clarify things.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
On 7/28/2022 at 11:55 PM, bluegirl147 said:

It's not just the younger generations that have what most people consider odd names. There is Tuesday Weld.  January Jones.  Charisma Carpenter.  

Charisma Carpenter was named after a perfume. I don't know why I've retained that piece of useless trivia.

I've always thought two of the dumbest names for celebrity kids, at least before Elon Musk and Grimes, came from Jensen Ackles. Arrow and Zeppelin? Just, why? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, FancyRhubarb said:

I've always thought two of the dumbest names for celebrity kids, at least before Elon Musk and Grimes, came from Jensen Ackles. Arrow and Zeppelin? Just, why? 

yeah, don't like those names.  If we can go back further, Moon Unit and Dweezil. Really?

• Love 1

Susan St. James has a daughter named Sunshine and a son named Harmony.  I heard her once say their names and finish with, “which tells you what I was smoking at the time.”  Her younger three are William, Charles, and Edward.

• LOL 10
21 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If we can go back further, Moon Unit and Dweezil. Really?

Frank Zappa is not here for your petty judgements!

A lot of name crime went on in the 60's now that I think about it. Susan Atkins named her son Zezozose Zadfrack Glutz. Fortunately he was adopted out when she, you know, butchered 5 people, so hopefully he got a new boring name.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, FancyRhubarb said:

Charisma Carpenter was named after a perfume. I don't know why I've retained that piece of useless trivia.

I remember she said it was an Avon perfume. My sister had that perfume in the 80's and it came a pretty swan shaped bottle. I wish I knew what happened to that bottle.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Will, no matter what you do to try to get past the slap, reconcile yourself to it being in the first line of your obituary --- "Will Smith, Oscar-winning actor who slapped comedian Chris Rock  during the live broadcast of the Academy Awards show, died today . . . "   But you're only 53, so you probably have three or more decades to do something even more embarrassing or felonious.

• Like 3
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Susan St. James has a daughter named Sunshine and a son named Harmony.  I heard her once say their names and finish with, “which tells you what I was smoking at the time.”  Her younger three are William, Charles, and Edward.

Barbara Hershey and David Carradine named their son Free Seagull.  Hershey actually added Seagull to her name, too.  When he was 9 or 10, Free went to court to change his name to Tom.  Hershey has expressed regret over his original name.

David Bowie and his first wife, Angie, named their son Zowie Bowie.  He also went to court as a kid and took his middle name, Duncan, as his new first name.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
11 hours ago, FancyRhubarb said:

He said in an interview that he and his wife liked unusual names because they both have unusual name.

My thoughts after he said it was that the names were not unusual. They are normal everyday words that they named their kids. It's just unusual for it to be a kids names. 

Edited by xfuse
have not had
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, FancyRhubarb said:

Ha.  Same.  I must have read that in a magazine decades ago and for some reason it stuck with me.  And while "Charisma" isn't the most common name, the name "Charisma Carpenter" does kind of flow rather nicely.  I feel like you can pull off an unusual name that at least sounds cool or rolls off the tounge.  Not to name shame anyone but I just don't feel like something akin to Pilot Inspektor Lee quite achieves that feat.

• Love 7

My thoughts after he said it was that the names were not unusual. They are normal everyday words that they named their kids. It's just unusual for it to be a kids names. 

I'm honestly surprised a country singer hasn't named their kid "truck" or "jeans" given these other names.

• LOL 10
(edited)
4 hours ago, Notabug said:

David Bowie and his first wife, Angie, named their son Zowie Bowie.  He also went to court as a kid and took his middle name, Duncan, as his new first name

This is incorrect. Duncan Jones stated himself his legal name was always Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones. He had no need to go to court; he simply started using his government name. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1

Garth Brooks & his ex named their 2nd daughter August Anna.   I kinda like that.  It's different, but not bizarre. 

And "Grimes" isn't even her birth name , such a poser: Claire Elise Boucher (born March 17, 1988), better known by the stage name Grimes.   Obviously Musk didn't Google her before procreating with her.  Idiot. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Ha.  Same.  I must have read that in a magazine decades ago and for some reason it stuck with me.  And while "Charisma" isn't the most common name, the name "Charisma Carpenter" does kind of flow rather nicely.  I feel like you can pull off an unusual name that at least sounds cool or rolls off the tounge.  Not to name shame anyone but I just don't feel like something akin to Pilot Inspektor Lee quite achieves that feat.

Charisma sounds like it could be a name.   So not too out there.   Pilot Inspektor does not  in any way shape or form sound like it could be a name.

• Love 13
(edited)
12 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Charisma sounds like it could be a name.   So not too out there.   Pilot Inspektor does not  in any way shape or form sound like it could be a name.

Job title in East Germany.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

Charisma I get as it could be kind of hopeful, like they hope their daughter grows to be charismatic. So, did Pilots parents hope he'd grow up to be a pilot, but threw in the inspector bit as a back up plan in case he ended up with a fear of heights?

My main issue with Apple is that it doesn't remind me of the fruit so much as the company and I'd hate to be named after a company. 

I get that people should be able to name their children whatever they want, but they should also keep in mind that that child has to live with that name. I often wonder how much some of these people who chose these names actually wanted or even like their children. (I jest. I'm not saying a weird name means you hate your children. It does mean you're okay with your child getting teased and tormented because lets face it, kids (people in general, but adults learn to hide it better) are assholes and school is hell if you are in any way different). 

NOTE: I am biased as I spent most of my childhood being teased and picked on because of my last name. It's not fun. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I get that people should be able to name their children whatever they want, but they should also keep in mind that that child has to live with that name.

I named my son a unique name at that time. It wasn't weird but I had never heard of anyone with that first name. Six months later the name blew up and became a very popular name for a girl.  Yep. Thankfully there were a few men/boys out in the universe with the same name but every year in school and every doctor visit people expected a girl. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

This is incorrect. Duncan Jones stated himself his legal name was always Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones. He had no need to go to court; he simply started using his government name. 

He also named his own daughter Zowie.

• Useful 2

A lot of people take kids teasing into account, but one thing so many people seem to not take into mind is the fact it's so much easier to be stalked with an unusual name. You don't have to name your kid Michael or Sarah, but I'd personally avoid naming them after fruits and veggies. 

• Sad 2
  • Useful 7

Even before Miss Swift became famous, Taylor (which had been a surname derived from the profession of being a tailor)had been a somewhat popular name for girls but, oddly enough, has rarely if ever been used as a given name for boys. And I've yet to hear of anyone naming their daughter Seamstress (which is what female tailors were called) . 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

I named my son a unique name at that time. It wasn't weird but I had never heard of anyone with that first name. Six months later the name blew up and became a very popular name for a girl.  Yep. Thankfully there were a few men/boys out in the universe with the same name but every year in school and every doctor visit people expected a girl. 

Sometimes known as the "Ashley Wikes Syndrome".  Also happens to guys named Leslie and Shannon.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Sometimes known as the "Ashley Wikes Syndrome".  Also happens to guys named Leslie and Shannon.  

And once upon a time to men named Shirley and Evelyn. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Hayley Mills said she was named "Hayley" because her parents were hoping for a son, and it was originally a boy's name. Maggie Smith's late husband's name was Beverley. I've known a single male Courtney in my life, and I remember reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry in middle school and being thrown for a loop at Cassie's brother being named Stacey.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

I also know two male Shannon and one female.

My son has never said anything bad about being named as he is but at times I felt frustrated about it. I've had to defend my choice over the years always stating that I was there before them. What I don't get it why someone would very purposefully name their kid something weird. It's tough enough for kids of celebrities but then to have a name like Moon Zappa.

Edited by xfuse
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

What I don't get it why someone would very purposefully name their kid something weird. It's tough enough for kids of celebrities but then to have a name like Moon Zappa.

For me there is big difference between a unique name, which isn't a bad thing, and a name that is weird for the sake of being weird. That said, it's very subjective what one considers unique vs weird. For me the worst names are nonsensical stuff, like that time Elon Musk tried to name his kid something that looked more like password where you have to come up with letters, at least one number and one special symbol, or obnoxious (IMO) spellings that make the name nearly unpronounceable, and again look like some kind of password. 

Basically, it is anything that is going to make the person with that name's life harder. I would have to have to constantly have to correct people's spelling or pronunciation of my name because my parents thought they were clever. 

The absolute worst are "cutesy" names, like if Frank Zappa had named one of his kids Zippy. Zippy Zappa, nope, or if your last name is House and you name your kid Open House. Just...don't. Your child's life is going to be hard enough. Don't make it worse. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7

I knew a woman born in December with the last name Claas, first name Sandy.  She was delightful, but I can remember her shrugging as she said her name and immediately started answering the questions we all had but we’re too polite to ask.  Just mean.

• Love 3

My boyfriend's name is Shannon and I don't think I had heard of guy named that until him. It was the same with one of my exes who was Shelby. It wasn't until after I knew them that I heard of a few other men with those names. 

I don't know why people want to give their kids weird or cutesy names. It's like, they're human beings! They're people, and they're not gonna be cute little babies and kids forever. You want to use a weird/unique name? Give it to your pets or something! Lol 

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

I'm fine with Moon Unit and Dweezil. It was Frank Zappa. What was he gonna name them, Mary and John? He gets a pass. Because he's Frank Zappa.

I knew he had some more kids so I just looked them up. Diva and Ahmet. Not as weird. I'd be pissed if I were them!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, festivus said:

I'm fine with Moon Unit and Dweezil. It was Frank Zappa. What was he gonna name them, Mary and John? He gets a pass. Because he's Frank Zappa.

I knew he had some more kids so I just looked them up. Diva and Ahmet. Not as weird. I'd be pissed if I were them!

Actually, since diva means 'diety' in Italian and the late Mr. Zappa was of Italian heritage, I think it's possible that the rest of Diva Zappa's siblings may have envied her for not just her name's meaning but also for its hearkening to their father's heritage while none of the other names have any link to either side of their family.

FWIW, Dweezil was Mr. Zappa's concocted pet name for one of his wife's toes.😲

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2