Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He filmed Jeopardy! in mid-February.  At that time, in most places, vaccines were still being doled out based on age, profession and even health status.  I have little doubt that someone of his wealth could have figured out a way to jump the line, so to speak, but I doubt vaccinations were expected of anyone at the time of filming.

Excellent point. I was no Aaron Rogers fan - I didn't dislike him, but he was definitely not on my list of hosts I'd like to see.

Too bad he turns out to be a jerk who can't own his own actions and blames others for the reactions to them.

• Love 4

I was just coming to say that when Aaron Rodgers’ episodes were taped it was fairly early in the vaccine rollout and I doubt the show would have had an issue with him being unvaccinated, but I see @IRLANDESA beat me to it.  There were a lot of stories about Hollywood types “jumping the line” in the news at that time and the reaction was not positive.  

While there were protocols in place at Jeopardy I doubt proof of vaccination was one of them at that time.  

My daughter is an infectious diseases physician and earlier this fall she watched a lot of people (many of them quite young) die unnecessarily.  These were totally preventable tragedies. 

When I hear people like Aaron Rodgers spouting nonsense and claiming to know better than someone with 9 years of medical training I can’t even begin to express how angry it makes me. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
17 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

My daughter is an infectious diseases physician and earlier this fall she watched a lot of people (many of them quite young) die unnecessarily.  These were totally preventable tragedies. 

Plus there are countless patients with cancer or heart disease or other life-threatening conditions——many of no known or preventable origin——who are not being seen in time because of the unnecessarily still-ongoing pandemic.
And, the effect on the medical professionals is devastating and not sustainable.

Now Aaron Rodgers is a contributor to this horrific stress when he didn't need to be, and, as a former Jeopardy! celebrity champ, should really know better.

Mayim has skirted around vaccine paranoia but came out with a reasonable spiel before taking on her current, more permanent role as a host.

I doubt TPTB of Jeopardy! actually asked about the potential guest hosts' vaccine views before they were scheduled following Alex's death, but damned if the execs didn't stumble upon a reasonable choice of host with regards to that aspect! 

Way upthread I was rooting for Aaron Rodgers because I was totally smitten. I am probably older than his parents and should have known better, but I always was a fool for good looks, charm, and smooth taking.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Love 6

I hope that if/when they start up again with guest hosts next year, it is with real contenders. I enjoyed the hosts they had earlier this year, but clearly most of them were there to honor Alex in some way or fill an unexpected need the show had.

• Love 4

I do care that Rodgers wasn't vaccinated but I care more that he is a lying sack of sh!t.  And now that he tested COVID positive, I hope his worst fear comes true.  Infertility. Cuz I'm mean that way.

Edited by PaulaO
Adding personal info
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5

I get Jeopardy! early here (3:30) and I just have to say that I’m ready for Ken to host permanently. He seemed so relaxed and made for the job. Johnny Gilbert didn’t introduce him as host, but “hosting”. It honestly seems as he’s too humble to call himself “the host” in deference to Alex. I just want him to get the job. 

• Love 14

Our local station that carries Jeopardy had a story on the news about Ken Jennings.  He said that the first time he hosted (nearly a year ago) a producer gave him a pair of cufflinks that had been Alex Trebek's, that Alex wanted Ken to have.  Ken said they are his only cufflinks and he would wear them for today's show.  He showed one, which looked to have a purple stone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Our local station that carries Jeopardy had a story on the news about Ken Jennings.  He said that the first time he hosted (nearly a year ago) a producer gave him a pair of cufflinks that had been Alex Trebek's, that Alex wanted Ken to have.  Ken said they are his only cufflinks and he would wear them for today's show.  He showed one, which looked to have a purple stone.

Jeopardy posted that video on their YouTube page.  Jean Trebek, Alex's wife, gave the cufflinks to Ken.

• Love 11

I thought Ken was a great host yesterday.  His experience with hosting Jeopardy several times previously made his performance seem effortless.  He kept the game moving, even inserting some ad libs which seemed to make the contestants more comfortable.  I have no issues with Mayim as a permanent host, and she did seem to grow more comfortable with the role as the weeks went by. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, HelenBaby said:

I get Jeopardy! early here (3:30) and I just have to say that I’m ready for Ken to host permanently. He seemed so relaxed and made for the job. Johnny Gilbert didn’t introduce him as host, but “hosting”. It honestly seems as he’s too humble to call himself “the host” in deference to Alex. I just want him to get the job. 

humble? ken?

huh

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Johnny introducers Mayim as “the host”, though. I think it’s a subtle indication of the producers’ thinking: Mayim is the first choice, and Ken fills in when she’s not available.

I agree with you, but it doesn't make sense with how Mayim's role was initially billed - as the one just doing special, prime time episodes, not the regular host.

• Love 2

I suspect the producers are vamping until they find out whether Mayim’s Fox sitcom will get another season. And if it doesn’t, she’ll get the permanent gig.

Ken seems a lot more relaxed this go-round. Mayim still seems a little forced, but perhaps she’ll relax into more as time goes on,

• Love 5
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Seen on Facebook - Ken Jennings apologized for the Moray/Amore pun! IMHO, no apology needed!

Actually, Ken's quote on Twitter was exactly this: "I will be coming to your homes individually to apologize for this." after he retweeted Jeopardy's post of a gif of him saying the Amore joke with the caption "Dad joke alert @kenjennings"

It was not an apology, it was another dad joke.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Actually, Ken's quote on Twitter was exactly this: "I will be coming to your homes individually to apologize for this." after he retweeted Jeopardy's post of a gif of him saying the Amore joke with the caption "Dad joke alert @kenjennings"

It was not an apology, it was another dad joke.

Thanks. I saw a headline about him apologizing, but didn't read the article (as I hadn't watched the day before's episode yet). Then when I watched it I wondered what I had missed. Definitely a joke.

• Love 1

In reading a Newsweek article about new champ Amy (and how great it is to have another transgender J! winner, especially when it happens in the middle of Trans Awareness Week), as posted in the Media thread, I came across a couple of articles about tweets Matt Amodio and James Holzhauer had posted throwing some pretty good shade at Aaron Rodgers's lying, unvaccinated ass.

When the truth about Rodgers came out, Matt said:

Usually being stupid on #Jeopardy only costs 1. you 2. money, but here he put 1. other people's 2. health in danger.

And threw in some snark:

Packers left tackle doesn't protect Aaron Rodgers from blitzing linebacker, citing bodily autonomy.

James also went the snark route, tossing Dr. Oz into the mix:

Dr. Oz: I'm the only peddler of pseudoscience to ever guest host Jeopardy!
Aaron Rodgers: Hold on a minute playa.

And when Rodgers returned to the field this weekend after his 10-day isolation was up, James tweeted:

Many people will say it's healthier not to throw the ball up for grabs in the end zone but it's up to each QB to make his own personal choice to immunize himself from interceptions.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 11/30/2021 at 6:09 PM, The Wild Sow said:

Ken and Mayim, now immortalized in the comics 🙂

Thanks! I especially liked the Mayim one. I never understood why they called it "The Dreaded Opera Category" and not just "Opera." Why not "The Dreaded Math Category" or "The Dreaded Football Category"?

• Love 1

I've skimmed the J! boards here but not seen any mention of this. Does anyone know why they introduced Ken as "hosting" and Mayim as "the host of"? Has some decision been made that I've missed? Seems like a fine verbal distinction if there's no reason for it.

Hah! I imagine that Mayim’s agent fought bitterly for that little distinction. I assume it’s because Mayim technically HAS already been hired as a host, although it was just supposed to be of the prime time spinoff that apparently never emerged. Ken was not hired as a host, so he’s just “hosting.” Beyond that silliness, no decision has been released other than the fact that they’ll continue the tag team through the end of the season (July 2022). 

• Love 1

I was fine with Mayim as host, but I have to say that Ken has really done a fantastic job since he took over from her, and now I really think he's a much better choice. I was totally opposed to him being hired before, but if it really is between these two, I honestly think he does a better job. You can feel how much more comfortable everyone is on stage when he runs the game.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I've skimmed the J! boards here but not seen any mention of this. Does anyone know why they introduced Ken as "hosting" and Mayim as "the host of"? Has some decision been made that I've missed? Seems like a fine verbal distinction if there's no reason for it.

There is a discussion (a bit spread out) in the regular season thread if you are interested, but general consensus seems to be that it basically amounts to that Mayim is officially hired as a host, while Ken is just filling in. As far as I know, the show has not directly addressed this distinction.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, secnarf said:

There is a discussion (a bit spread out) in the regular season thread if you are interested, but general consensus seems to be that it basically amounts to that Mayim is officially hired as a host, while Ken is just filling in.

Right.  They hired Mike Richards as host of the regular games, and Mayim as the host of special tournaments.  Ken was not given any new job, he was still a presenter (like the Clue Crew - he sometimes presents a category of clues within a game).

When Richards resigned as host, no "permanent" replacement for him was named; Mayim was tapped to step in and also host the regular games, but her sitcom shooting schedule means she's not available to host all of them, so they needed a fill-in host for those non-Mayim games and selected Ken.

They've now said this will continue for the rest of the season.

Who will host the regular games next season - her, him, both, someone else - has not yet been disclosed (and likely not yet decided).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, crashdown said:

I assume it’s because Mayim technically HAS already been hired as a host, although it was just supposed to be of the prime time spinoff that apparently never emerged. 

The prime time specials are happening.   Mayim has a tweet up about them on Twitter.  My guess is that they used time they were going to originally use to film a special and used it for regular episodes once they had to replace Mike Richards quickly. 

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The prime time specials are happening.

College Tournament Feb 8-22 (T-F) is the first one. It says that there will be 36 players, so not exactly sure how it will break down (ie just the winners or will there be wild card players in the semi's? etc). It doesn't even say that it will be an hour long (probably will be, but will it be the equivalent of 2 half-hour shows (i.e. 6 contestants per day?) Per TVLine: Slotted opposite NBC’s marathon Winter Olympics coverage, meanwhile, Jeopardy! National College Championship will debuts Tuesday, Feb. 8 at 8 pm, with episodes airing each Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, concluding on Tuesday, Feb. 22. Mayim Bialik serves as host for the nine-day event, with 36 students from 36 colleges and universities from across the country going head-to-head in the ultimate battle of wits.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Watching Ken & Mayim back-to-back has convinced me that Ken is a much better fit for the hosting job than Mayim is. 

Go to jeopardy.com. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen where it says, "Contact us."  Tell them this.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Go to jeopardy.com. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen where it says, "Contact us."  Tell them this.

done.  Also contacted them on Twitter

• Love 6