Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

I’m a few days behind, but I think Mayim is doing fine so far. I haven’t noticed any giggling, so I’m guessing she heard that criticism and reacted accordingly. My only beef with her right now is her readings sound a little too impersonally pleasant and polished. I get a bit of a Siri vibe from her, like she should be telling me how many miles until my next highway exit. But I expect she will loosen up over time, as she becomes more comfortable with the whole process.

• Love 6

Host questions:

- Was Matt playing yet for any of the Ken hosted games? (I’m thinking no?)

- I admit to not really noticing if a board is cleared or not, but I know some of you really care. How’s Mayim doing in her second go around in this regard?

(Oh, and does anyone else’s auto correct keep changing Mayim to Maxim?)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, opus said:

I admit to not really noticing if a board is cleared or not, but I know some of you really care. How’s Mayim doing in her second go around in this regard?

I haven't cared enough to check the archives, but they've been clearing both boards for what seems like a few weeks.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, opus said:

Host questions:

- Was Matt playing yet for any of the Ken hosted games? (I’m thinking no?)

I will take your "I'm thinking no?" as giving the answer in the form of a question, @opus, LOL.
And, yes, you are correct.
Matt has not yet played with Ken as host (.j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=37).

Matt's anticipation of having Ken as host:

...Amodio is looking forward to with much excitement [Ken hosting].
"Meeting Ken under any circumstances would be a dream, but [having] it be under these circumstances would be Rudy-levels of perfection," Amodio told Newsweek. "And as a fan, I loved him as a host. Seeing him on a Jeopardy! stage is like seeing a polar bear in the snow: it just looks right" (newsweek.com/james-holzhauer-reacts-matt-amodio-beating-jeopardy-record-1635223).

I love Matt's remark, "Seeing [Ken Jennings] on a Jeopardy! stage is like seeing a polar bear in the snow: it just looks right."

But what does "Rudy-levels of perfection" mean/refer to?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But what does "Rudy-levels of perfection" mean/refer to?

I suspect that it refers to the movie Rudy (1993), based on the life of Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, who dreamed of playing football at the University of Notre Dame despite significant obstacles.

I've never seen the movie, but I'm told that Rudy overcomes academic shortcomings, a learning disability, lack of money, and about every other possible obstacle to become a player on the Fighting Irish football team. It's one of those movies that guys watch and then complain about all the dust in the air.

To learn more, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_(film)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Joe Montana was QB at Notre Dame when the real Rudy was at the school.  When he was on Dan Patrick's sports show, he basically rolled his eyes at the Rudy movie's accuracy of the actual Rudy's story----apparently lots of Hollywood embellishment.  From what I recall he stated there was no walking into coach's office dropping jerseys & threatening not to play if Rudy didn't get the shot.  But hey, we are all the heroes of our own movies! And he does have a good story.  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I suspect that it refers to the movie Rudy (1993), based on the life of Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, who dreamed of playing football at the University of Notre Dame despite significant obstacles.

I've never seen the movie, but I'm told that Rudy overcomes academic shortcomings, a learning disability, lack of money, and about every other possible obstacle to become a player on the Fighting Irish football team. It's one of those movies that guys watch and then complain about all the dust in the air.

To learn more, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_(film)

I love "Rudy", the classic story of an under-dog who achieves his dream.  And yes, I always get a lump in my throat & wet eyes at the end when the team chants "Rudy, Rudy"...

• Love 3

I went to law school at Notre Dame and then left to study for the bar in a different state. One day the movie Rudy came on, and I watched the whole thing for the background shots of the university. I didn't know anyone outside my bar review class and was very homesick since all I did was study. I saw that entire movie but I didn't register any of the plot--but I can vouch for the fact that at least all the relevant exteriors were actually actual ND.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I went to law school at Notre Dame and then left to study for the bar in a different state. One day the movie Rudy came on, and I watched the whole thing for the background shots of the university. I didn't know anyone outside my bar review class and was very homesick since all I did was study. I saw that entire movie but I didn't register any of the plot--but I can vouch for the fact that at least all the relevant exteriors were actually actual ND.

I have a couple of films I watch for the locations. The Sound of Music makes me particularly homesick, and I know it by heart so I can just gaze at the scenery for most of it. I was also excited to see a show shot in my daughter's neighborhood (haven't been there yet) and she knew the businesses I was able to identify.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I am also getting tired of Mayim. She's started being a little too rude to the contestants and stealing focus too much. It's not HORRIBLE, but I'm getting weary.

I don't know who I want them to replace her with, though.

I thought we all agreed on Buzzy or Aaron Rodgers. 😉
--because Robin Roberts is not available.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought we all agreed on Buzzy or Aaron Rodgers.

I don't see the appeal of Aaron Rodgers. I don't find him attractive or nice to look at, plus I recently heard an interview with him on the radio. Packers are playing Da Bears, and holy cow, talk about a one-note monotone, almost put me to sleep with his droning on in his oh-so-un-expressive voice.

I'm Team Buzzy all the way. Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen. This show isn't doing anything to make me happy lately so Buzzy fans can blame me for him being overlooked.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought we all agreed on Buzzy or Aaron Rodgers. 😉
--because Robin Roberts is not available.

Buzzy was my number one since the first few episodes he hosted. He booted Ken right out of first place on my list. He still is my number one pick, though I think Mayim is fine.

Aaron was never on my list, and neither was Robin. But not because they were terrible or anything. They just didn't click for me.

• Love 3

I am very relieved to see Mayim continue to settle into the role, tweaking it as necessary, like today when she said after a TS "Now we all know that's what that is" instead of just delightedly declaring the correct response in a way that could be interpreted as a put down to the contestants for not knowing it, when she really just thought it was an amusing and little-known factoid.

• Love 3

I’ll skip over Mayim’s clothing choices. What is annoying me is the ways, or of lack of, that she is wearing her hair. Doesn’t the host get hair and makeup before filming the show? It just looks unkempt and messy IMO. 

• Love 3

I have refrained from commenting on Mayim's choice of attire, but when she wears something that fits her, and looks more stylish her clothing becomes less noticeable.  Yesterday she wore a blazer, and skirt that didn't look 3 sizes too large, but were modest and not too figure revealing.  Maybe she needs alterations to some of her oversize clothing.  I think a good stylist could help her put together a wardrobe that would honor her preferences for modesty, but would also not be distracting because the clothes don't fit well. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

What is annoying me is the ways, or of lack of, that she is wearing her hair. Doesn’t the host get hair and makeup before filming the show? It just looks unkempt and messy IMO. 

That reminds me of my former managing editor. Her hair always looked unstyled and messy, with no order to it, says this person who always wears braids, ponytail or bun. One day she said to me she was having a great day because she finally got her hair exactly how she wanted it, and was so happy she looked good that day. To me, she looked the same. To her, she looked great. Which is all that matters in hair and clothing choices. If the wearer is happy, that's all that matters, viewers be damned.

I learned from that not to be judgemental about what others wear or how they look, because, mirror people, mirrors. "Judge not lest ye be ..."

ETA: Mayim's hairstyle looks VERY similar to my managing editor's.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10

I agree with (it sounds like most of) you guys that I don't care much one way or the other about the host's (or guests') fashion choices, but occasionally there is something that makes me think "What were they thinking??!?" or "Wow! That looks great!"  For me it was a "Wow!" moment when Mayim wore that black pantsuit fairly early this season.  Only slightly different from her regular wardrobe (mostly in that it wasn't a skirt), but just looked "right" on her.  Hope that doesn't make me sound too shallow!

On a side note, do we have to close this "guest host" thread now, since we have permanent host(s)?  Or maybe re-title it so it covers all hosts who are not Alex?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

On a side note, do we have to close this "guest host" thread now, since we have permanent host(s)?  Or maybe re-title it so it covers all hosts who are not Alex?

Well, no. The news reports have said Bialik & Jennings are the hosts until the end of the calendar year, when the stunt hosting resumes until they make a final choice.

• Love 3

When Mayim's hairstyle has these tufts sticking out, I tend to want to tuck them away... similar to my impression of Meghan Markle's wedding hairstyle - that hunk of hair hanging loose drove me crAzy. All-over-messy is ok - some women can pull that look off (not me) - but the hunk of hair sticking up or hanging loosely screams "look at me! I'm being rebellious!"

(I'm old enough to remember the prom styles when we'd have that stupid ringlet hanging down both sides of the face... oh, and the guys had mullets!)

I'm all for supporting women in every possible way; however, I believe in stylists because I had one years ago who'd bring me clothing to try on that I'd NEVER have chosen from the racks... and yet once I tried it on, I saw she was RIGHT and I usually got the most compliments wearing those outfits. My point is simply: what WE choose for our bodies may not be what looks best. I tend to like baggy (on me) and yet when I wear form-fitting, I get the oohs and ahhs. Do I care? Still working on that! ;-)

Mayim isn't working in a lab, or lounging in her family room watching movies with her kids. She's on national tv, hosting an "intelligent" game show, so I believe it is her responsibility to wear clothing (and a hairstyle) that befits the image. We don't want evening wear... or naked (which seems to be gaining popularity nowadays)... rather, something in between that's pleasant and perhaps non-polarizing.

Loved her polka dot blouse!

My intention is to not belittle anyone for their clothing choices because in all seriousness, if I've showered and am wearing clean clothes, it's a good day. LOL

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

When Mayim's hairstyle has these tufts sticking out, I tend to want to tuck them away... similar to my impression of Meghan Markle's wedding hairstyle - that hunk of hair hanging loose drove me crAzy. All-over-messy is ok - some women can pull that look off (not me) - but the hunk of hair sticking up or hanging loosely screams "look at me! I'm being rebellious!"

Being an orderly person, I have the same inclination. But having a husband and a kid with intractable cowlicks, I've dampened down my reactions though my fingers still itch to do something about it.

I think Mayim's hair looks good when it's down, and I think her wardrobe has improved a lot.

I try to be non-judgemental about clothes. I prefer to lean toward "oh that looks nice"  -  at least out loud. My not as nice brain says some nasty things once in awhile.

But I learned a lesson in high school that I've never forgotten. There was a girl who was a little unfortunate looking, gangly, awkward, braces, glasses, etc. She was very shy and didn't really have any friends (she was my lab partner, we were both new and both not exactly in the popular crowd). One day, I watched her glow when a girl told her the dress she was wearing was pretty. Then the girl cut her down with "to bad it doesn't look good on you." Her face fell, the devastation was painful to see.

From then on, when I complimented anyone on their clothes, it wasn't the clothes I praised, but how good they looked on the person (that's a lovely color on you, etc.)

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Bliss said:

Loved her polka dot blouse!

I agree with your whole post and also loved her polka dot blouse.
When Mayim first came back after MR, her hair looked terrific, but it doesn't seem like the same stylist is still involved anymore. ☹️
But at least her wardrobe has settled down, IMO.

• Love 2

@Clanstarling, your post about your lab partner made me cry, it really touched home. People who are judgemental about others and do their "superior dance" (TM Church Lady) at the expense of and to belittle others ... my wish is for them to all be struck dead by lightning.

And that's my judgemental opinion on the subject. I've never dressed like nor acted like nor ever wanted to be like the flock of sheep who snark on others who don't "fit" with their "in crowd." I'd rather be alone than with people without compassion.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

Good grief.  When is Mayim getting off my screen and  Ken Jennings showing up?

I've been watching Wheel of Fortune instead and feeling like a genius!  Which I know I'm not.

Last week I decided to see what channels ran her brain commercials.  Multiple times on CNN and at least once, probably appropriately, on the Science Fiction channel.  Curious if it has been on during Jeopardy.  Since I refuse to watch her.

And hey Mayim, I've got a  degree in Applied Science.  Actually I didn't know that till I had to have my diploma for a job.  I thought it was a degree in Nursing but it said Applied Science focus on nursing.  Never would of thought it, I wanna do a commercial on the science of the benefits of pets since I apparently have the degree and a houseful of 4 legged kids.

• Love 4

I really hate that commercial, not only that she hawks that stuff, but the smug way she does it.  It completely affects my view of her.  I can't wait for Ken either.  One of my stations has been running reruns of when he hosted and I like him a lot.   He wasn't my first choice (go Buzzy) but I'd be ok with him.          

• Love 6
12 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I really hate that commercial, not only that she hawks that stuff, but the smug way she does it.  It completely affects my view of her.  I can't wait for Ken either.  One of my stations has been running reruns of when he hosted and I like him a lot.   He wasn't my first choice (go Buzzy) but I'd be ok with him.          

Yes, that's it!  She seemed smug on the show too.  I like Ken Jennings but Robin Roberts would of been my first choice.  Then Buzzy then, heck I've forgotten most of them.

• Love 2

I liked her outfit today, but I was amused by her dangly earrings not being as dangly as others she's worn with her hair down.

June Lockhart used to wear dangly earrings on all the game shows she went on. When my mom couldn't remember her name, she'd say to me, "Y'know...Dangly Earrings Woman." 

I love dangly earrings.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I liked her outfit today, but I was amused by her dangly earrings not being as dangly as others she's worn with her hair down.

June Lockhart used to wear dangly earrings on all the game shows she went on. When my mom couldn't remember her name, she'd say to me, "Y'know...Dangly Earrings Woman." 

I love dangly earrings.

Me too, but my neck's too short for lengthy dangles. (it's not that my neck is the only thing that's short - I'm short overall).

• Love 1

I'm used to Mayim...Not really overjoyed by her but can tolerate her....As for permanent host? My choices are still Ken, Buzzy and David Faber...Let's NOT forget David Faber.

My dream choice would be Bonnie Hunt because she's just awesome!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I'm used to Mayim...Not really overjoyed by her but can tolerate her....As for permanent host? My choices are still Ken, Buzzy and David Faber...Let's NOT forget David Faber.

My dream choice would be Bonnie Hunt because she's just awesome!

Rest assured, I have not forgotten David Faber. He and Buzzy are my top choices too, but I would be fine with Ken.  
Mayim is doing a decent job of hosting, and she has calmed down since her first appearance. I really do think she is the choice and the show is dragging their feet to see if her sitcom is picked up for a third season.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I really do think she is the choice and the show is dragging their feet to see if her sitcom is picked up for a third season.

So ironically, anyone who doesn't like Mayim here should be watching Call Me Kat to inflate the ratings.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

Lastly, I have to say that I really like Mayim as a host. I love her sense of humor, and although to some she may seem “giggly,” to me it just shows how much she enjoys being there. Her enthusiasm is contagious, at least to me. Obviously others feel differently. But I would love to see her as a permanent host. 

Quoting ☝️ from the season thread. Yesterday Mayim made a remark about how she felt when hosting Jeopardy! the same way the contestant (new winner) did when teaching sex-ed to high school freshmen when he was in college. 
This made me realize (and notice) that her giggling is a nervous giggle, which explains why it is less frequent as time goes on.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Quoting ☝️ from the season thread. Yesterday Mayim made a remark about how she felt when hosting Jeopardy! the same way the contestant (new winner) did when teaching sex-ed to high school freshmen when he was in college. 
This made me realize (and notice) that her giggling is a nervous giggle, which explains why it is less frequent as time goes on.

That comment by her struck me as completely bizarre. In what way is hosting Jeopardy like teaching sex ed to high schoolers? I think she's awkward sometimes, but that particular comment just struck me as way out.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

That comment by her struck me as completely bizarre. In what way is hosting Jeopardy like teaching sex ed to high schoolers?

Thankful for the opportunity to do something important and hoping to be entertaining, but nervous about the responsibility and worried if - like a college student teaching kids not much younger than him - she has the right qualifications to do something previously done by someone with extensive experience?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Scott said:

I withdraw anything nice I may have said about Aaron Rodgers when he was hosting.

Amen!

If I were a Jeopardy employee or a contestant from his hosting time, I'd be furious. He put all of those people at risk while taking medical advice from a comedian/podcast host/university dropout with no known scientific knowledge.

• Love 15

I can't claim to have known anything about Aaron Rodgers before his guest hosting stint, but I thought he did well. I've read several news articles since he was announced as Covid positive and it seems clear that the Packers were aware of his unvaccinated status, yet he continued to appear unmasked in public, breaking the protocols that had been established by the NFL and followed by fellow unvaccinated players. That's reprehensible, shows a total lack of concern for others and certainly shouldn't be the kind of behavior displayed by a team leader. He's now pulling the cancel culture card, when he should be apologizing to his teammates and to the league, and yes, to the employees and contestants of Jeopardy! 

We don't truly know what kind of vaccination protocols were in place on the Jeopardy! set. We know what the opticals are as we can see the socially distanced set, but who knows what was asked of guest hosts while Mike Richards was running the show?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, j5cochran said:

If I were a Jeopardy employee or a contestant from his hosting time, I'd be furious. He put all of those people at risk while taking medical advice from a comedian/podcast host/university dropout with no known scientific knowledge.

While deliberately curating the impression he was vaccinated.  And I think Mike Florio is spot on in his theory as to why Rodgers wasn't open about his unvaccinated status, because, yeah, the dude notoriously cannot handle scrutiny (even though he got a bit too big for his britches in recent years, I don't even dislike Rogers other than this massive display of jerk behavior, but for those who don't follow football, "the guy who is so sensitive that he’s sensitive about being called sensitive" is accurate as hell): 

Rodgers abhors criticism. If he’d been open about his unvaccinated status, he would have heard about it from the media. And so the guy who is so sensitive that he’s sensitive about being called sensitive chose to create the false impression that he’s vaccinated, all because he didn’t want anyone to call him out for not being vaccinated.

And now that the truth is out, he decided to just go ahead and show his ass in a 45-minute interview in which he not only trotted out the old "did my own research" and "cancel culture" chestnuts - and not only cited a study that hasn't even been peer reviewed and the results of which have been contradicted by other studies, but misstated the results of that study - but also dared invoke Martin Luther King Jr. and used phrases such as "woke mob", "crazed group of individuals who say you have to do something", "witch hunt", and "stooge".

He's been a real punk-ass jerk about this whole thing, and the Packers (and maybe the league) let him. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

While deliberately curating the impression he was vaccinated.  And I think Mike Florio is spot on in his theory as to why Rodgers wasn't open about his unvaccinated status, because, yeah, the dude notoriously cannot handle scrutiny (even though he got a bit too big for his britches in recent years, I don't even dislike Rogers other than this massive display of jerk behavior, but for those who don't follow football, "the guy who is so sensitive that he’s sensitive about being called sensitive" is accurate as hell): 

And now that the truth is out, he decided to just go ahead and show his ass in a 45-minute interview in which he not only trotted out the old "did my own research" and "cancel culture" chestnuts - and not only cited a study that hasn't even been peer reviewed and the results of which have been contradicted by other studies, but misstated the results of that study - but also dared invoke Martin Luther King Jr. and used phrases such as "woke mob", "crazed group of individuals who say you have to do something", "witch hunt", and "stooge".

He's been a real punk-ass jerk about this whole thing, and the Packers (and maybe the league) let him. 

Wow. But probably all the other charismatic, good looking men I ever crushed on were jerks too. I shouldn't be surprised. But I am disappointed. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, j5cochran said:

He filmed Jeopardy! in mid-February.  At that time, in most places, vaccines were still being doled out based on age, profession and even health status.  I have little doubt that someone of his wealth could have figured out a way to jump the line, so to speak, but I doubt vaccinations were expected of anyone at the time of filming.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3