Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

On 3/18/2022 at 12:44 PM, Driad said:

Ken Jennings was on "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!" on February 25, 2006 and October 7, 2006.

Thank you for posting those links, @Driad. I have been listening to "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!" for decades.
The first one just made me smile a lot.
In the second show, they talked about a future third appearance on the show, but I guess Ken didn't come back?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Gah!  
I’ve caught a few minutes of Oz’s show when it came on before “Daytime Jeopardy!” (reruns) in which he seemed so…IDK…nice?  
Maybe he has an evil twin?  
He does resemble some long-time daytime soap opera stars who played a nice guy as well as his evil twin.   
🤷‍♀️   
Crazy?   
Insane?   
Inhaled too much car exhaust before they disallowed lead additives to gasoline? (https://amp.interestingengineering.com/lead-exposure-from-car-exhaust-shrinks-half-of-americans-iq-scores)

• Love 2

It really isn't about whatever else the two of them represent, or they'd have been asked to resign a long time ago (they were appointed by the previous administration, so if they were being kicked out for disagreeing with the current one, it would have happened sooner). The Hatch Act makes it illegal for them to serve. They should have been forced to resign as soon as they decided to run for office.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

FWIW: Mayim is slotted as the last guest on Stephen Colbert's show tonight.
Do we want to place bets on whether or not she will say regarding Single Jeopardy-Gate: "I only said it one time!"?

Jeopardy! was not discussed at all during Mayim's interview by Stephen Colbert.
     Good choice, Stephen!
When she was first introduced and came out, I burst out to no one with: "What is she wearing!?"
Actually, her interview was okay, but that might be in part because she followed an incredibly awkward interview with Shaquille O'Neal.
Anyway, her interview with Stephen was very Mayim-ish, which convinced me more than ever that she should not be the full time permanent Jeopardy! host. I think the initial choice to have her host the College and other "specials" was a good one, and they should stick with that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I noticed that they mentioned Jeopardy and the movie she directed, but didn't mention Call Me Kat at all until the very last minute when Stephen mentioned it as the camera panned away to go to a commercial. 

Her movie actually sounded interesting and I kind of liked her interview. She's awkward, and it's unusual for an actor with a long career, to see that she's still so nervous and comes across a bit unpolished. 

I have never seen her wear anything that exposes her legs, so that was a surprise.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Good choice, Stephen!
When she was first introduced and came out, I burst out to no one with: "What is she wearing!?"
Actually, her interview was okay, but that might be in part because she followed an incredibly awkward interview with Shaquille O'Neal.
Anyway, her interview with Stephen was very Mayim-ish, which convinced me more than ever that she should not be the full time permanent Jeopardy! host. I think the initial choice to have her host the College and other "specials" was a good one, and they should stick with that.

I thought I heard an echo!

IMO, she was awkward throughout the interview; uncomfortably so. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I rarely stay up late enough to watch The Late Show "live"... so, I tape it and watch bits of it the next day. I was curious about how Mayim would be, and I'm surprised as I thought she'd be more laid back.

What was she on? She seemed super hyper or something. Strange.

On a shallow note, is she one of those women who need to buy clothing one size too small? (I have friends who do that because it is more important to them to be able to say, "this is a size 6" than to have their wardrobe fit properly. More strange.) I watched J! "live" for the first time in a long time yesterday and noticed the button closure on her jacket seemed... painfully stretched? I'm all for loose and comfortable (caftans, anyone?) and I always feel sorry for buttons/buttonholes that go through such stress!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

I rarely stay up late enough to watch The Late Show "live"... so, I tape it and watch bits of it the next day. I was curious about how Mayim would be, and I'm surprised as I thought she'd be more laid back.

What was she on? She seemed super hyper or something. Strange.

On a shallow note, is she one of those women who need to buy clothing one size too small? (I have friends who do that because it is more important to them to be able to say, "this is a size 6" than to have their wardrobe fit properly. More strange.) I watched J! "live" for the first time in a long time yesterday and noticed the button closure on her jacket seemed... painfully stretched? I'm all for loose and comfortable (caftans, anyone?) and I always feel sorry for buttons/buttonholes that go through such stress!

I guess with her no-pants rule, Mayim has gotten into a habit of dismissing wardrobe advice.
There are too few pictures (maybe 3 or 4) of me wearing clothes that aren't so loose that I look like a tent with poles sticking out.
In the Better Late Than Never department, when my youngest daughter started to "dress for success" in grad school, she gave little old me some great advice: If a top is fitted, the bottom should be loose and vice versa. 
She actually has terrible fashion sense otherwise (I think she may have some of her father's color blindness) but that one basic rule is really all one needs, IMO. I wish I'd learned it decades earlier. 
Mayim? Are you reading this here? 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Good choice, Stephen!

I think I said something like "did you get that dress out of your teenage closet?" But showing so much leg was the most surprising thing.

Though I 'm not particularly fond of her as a host, I thought she came off quite well, and I am interested in her movie. Having been through that sort of experience, it looks like something I can relate to.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, rubaco said:

From this article, it sounds like Mayim is not locked in for hosting next season (at least not yet). 

Excellent interview. Thanks for linking it. 

The film she directed actually sounds quite good. I hope she ultimately chooses to spend more time behind the camera than in front of it.

As for Jeopardy!, it does sound (vaguely) as if she's only under contract for the current season. It would seem to make sense that the producers would only commit to one year contracts after the mess they allowed to happen. It's not crystal clear though. Here's the quote: 

I guest-hosted 

Jeopardy! and that was super awesome, but I was working a full-time job as a sitcom actor, so it wasn’t like I was planning on having two jobs, as I do. At this point, I only know through the end of this Jeopardy! season what I do, and hopefully I’ll find out at some point what happens next.

Personally I hope they give the entire gig to Ken, but if they want to keep Mayim on as the host for these prime-time tournaments, I can live with it. I just won't be watching. Ken needs to be the host of daily Jeopardy! Full stop. (Edited to add: I sincerely hope that this season's TOC will NOT be in prime-time. Ken HAS to be the TOC host, especially with not just one, but two super-champions competing.)

This also bugged:

I think as a woman there’s a special consideration, because when women sound definitive or stern it’s a different message than when men sound definitive or stern.

And a lot of times when people will say, “Oh, you sound like you think you know it all,” I’ll think, gosh, that’s just because I’m using an affirmative voice. One of the neat things about having a woman in this role is it’s bringing up a lot of questions about the labels we put on those things. One of my biggest challenges is I’m so impressed that people know the answers that they’ve asked me to tone down how excited I am when people get them right, which I think is s a great note to get.

There's a BIG difference between an 

affirmative voice and a condescending voice. Mayim's is most often the latter, which absolutely makes her sound like a "know-it-all." Truthfully, Alex did this sometimes too, but she's not Alex who had decades of good will under his belt.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 12

I think there is some truth to what she says about the way she's received vs how a man who's enthusiastic or confident would be received.

She talks in the interview about being so impressed when contestants demonstrate their knowledge on the show, that she gets a little wowed by them, and how she's been asked to tone it down, and that it's a good note for her to get. It makes me realize that she isn't a regular watcher of the show, and that's why she feels so awkward and out of place vs Ken, who lived and breathed the show and just fits right in. It's the same reason she was saying "single Jeopardy". It's not meant to be disrespectful, she's not trying to bust things up or knock things down, it's just that she's new in town and isn't blending in and hadn't bothered to consider that she should do that. 

Long time viewers didn't want a change. I am an intermittent viewer and I also find her distracting. But I don't think her behavior is meant to be condescending. It's just not the usual game show hosting role where the host is supposed to amp up the excitement or otherwise be a character and share their emotional reactions. I put it on the producers for not coaching her in what they want, but at the same time they probably thought it was a good idea to try to develop new viewers by changing the atmosphere. 

I think the producers were wrong. After all, they thought Mike Richards was a good idea, too. Shudder.

But I think it's not really the case that Mayim is doing anything inherently offensive as host. She's not to my personal taste in this particular role, though. 

Also, seeing how nervous and awkward she looked on Colbert's show, where she was just being herself and talking about her movie, I think she's just that way-- a big personality trying to fit under a microscope. It's surprising for someone you'd think was used to the public exposure by now, that she hasn't totally adopted a smooth, polished affect. But I kind of like that you can actually succeed in the industry as a woman without being a plastic doll that's perfectly graceful and totally buffed. 

I still want Ken to host, but I'm not mad at her at the moment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I still want Ken to host, but I'm not mad at her at the moment.

Ditto.  And, I must confess, I've called it single Jeopardy too, once or twice.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think there is some truth to what she says about the way she's received vs how a man who's enthusiastic or confident would be received.

Anyone who thinks gender plays no role in the criticism she's getting is living under a rock, on another planet, in a galaxy far, far away.

• Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Anyone who thinks gender plays no role in the criticism she's getting is living under a rock, on another planet, in a galaxy far, far away.

Agreed.

Given what a mess was made of the Jeopardy! host selection process (including initially giving the job to someone who at least appeared to be a misogynist), I find myself imagining Mayim was selected in part because her flaws as a candidate (e.g., unfamiliarity with the show) would make her an easy target for social media buzz.

I realize this idea is more than likely just another product of my runaway imagination, but, “if the shoe fits, …?”

I hope her movie does well in spite of it being her first time producing and directing and having been done during the pandemic, because it seems bound to be judged harshly by the Twitter-verse, Reddit, and all the other SM posters who are already not unreasonably annoyed at her Jeopardy! hosting skills or lack thereof.

I have rolled my eyes and made some comments too, but at least she enunciates perfectly, unlike Mike Richards, and that is important to me.   
Ken does too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

FWIW, "ibid." occurs 24 times in Mayim's Doctoral thesis:
 https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?q1=ibid;id=uc1.l0100089408

As a retired college librarian who was the point person for bibliography formatting (including logging into the campus subscription to Endnote and editing styles to suit various professors' preferences -- and, BTW, there are literally hundreds of styles; every journal has its own) and also as someone who worked freelance formatting citations and bibliographies for dissertations, I am not particularly bothered by Mayim saying "bibliography" instead of "footnotes." 

• Love 8
(edited)

What is the pay for hosting Jeopardy?  Seems everybody wants a bite of that apple.

I was thinking surely Ken is getting tired of all of this indecisiveness.

Isn't there an old "play me or trade me but for heavens sake...do something"!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, absolutely. I’m also pretty sure gender played a role in her getting hired. It was a good look.

But I can affirm that her gender has nothing to do with me not wanting her to host. If anything, it would give her bonus points in my book. I’m all about Girl Power. She’s simply not right for the job. Ken is. That’s my totally gender-neutral opinion.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Oh, absolutely. I’m also pretty sure gender played a role in her getting hired. It was a good look.

But I can affirm that her gender has nothing to do with me not wanting her to host. If anything, it would give her bonus points in my book. I’m all about Girl Power. She’s simply not right for the job. Ken is. That’s my totally gender-neutral opinion.

Exactly. I don't even dislike her- it's just Ken is a perfect fit who brings more to the table.

• Love 13
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

But they're the same people who thought that nob head Aaron Rodgers should have been the new host.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Exactly. I don't even dislike her- it's just Ken is a perfect fit who brings more to the table.

Agreed! I like Mayim - she's just not my top pick as host of J!

I'd be happier with Ken... and I'd be happiest with Brad Rutter - still wondering if he was ever considered, and if so, why didn't he have a test run as host? *insert puzzled face* (maybe he didn't want the gig... but why not???!!!)

I'd be ecstatic if a woman was chosen as host - IF she/they/whateverpronountheyuse were competent, fun/witty, and EXCELLENT in absolutely everything. A tall order, I admit.

• Love 7

Not too long ago, someone posted a link to an article that repeatedly referred to Mayim as "Mayim Balik."  Whilst trying to fall asleep, I got to thinking...what would Louis B. Mayer have changed her name to? There's no way he'd have let someone named Mayim Bialik try to become a star.

I'm so glad the world has moved on from that mindset.  But if Hollywood could change Lucille LeSeuer to Joan Crawford, what might they have done with Mayim?

• Love 1

Mayim seemed to me to be WAY more in line with the typical Jeopardy host persona on yesterday's show. I think if she'd started off this way, there'd have been a lot less complaining about her, and I wonder if people will start to like her now, or if it's too late for that.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Mayim seemed to me to be WAY more in line with the typical Jeopardy host persona on yesterday's show. I think if she'd started off this way, there'd have been a lot less complaining about her, and I wonder if people will start to like her now, or if it's too late for that.

It's too late for me.  Ooh, there's a daily double!!!  She says it that way almost every time someone hits on a DD.   And why is she always looking at her cards at the end.  Apparently things do have to be scripted for her.  I hope her movie does well.  Her true calling.  I did like her blue blouse.  One of the better things I've seen her wear.  

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I did like her blue blouse.  One of the better things I've seen her wear.  

I liked her print blouse from Thursday even more than the blue one on Friday.
image.png.c18af5fbb6149f20ebe2297656a3b57a.pngimage.thumb.png.e0e84760d7787da8ecd7bf2ab6880e3d.png

At least she went out on a high note, wardrobe-wise.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

Yay!  Ken Jennings is back hosting on Monday.  Hoping that Ken will be named the permanent host of Jeopardy before the month of April ends!

Based on the interview with Mayim that @rubaco linked in this thread earlier this week, I doubt they'll be making any announcements about a permanent host until this season has ended.

• Love 1

This tweet by Lilly ( @OneEclecticMom ) is actually the first of four tweets in a Twitter thread, so click on it for the full conversation. 

Also, this from The Jeopardy! Fan. Mayim needs to learn that sometimes you let the pitch go by.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

For those who can't click or just want to know easily, here are Lilly's additional comments about Mayim and the blazer. I find it EXTREMELY interesting, the suggestion that Mayim did this when Ken took over hosting. Keeps her "relevant." Lilly has never posted anything negative EVER about anything anyone wears on the show. In fact, she is just the opposite, refreshingly fun, upbeat and positive. I'm on Team Lilly.

lilly.jpg.2781d3c2114e13808a8a09b71a319f6e.jpg

• Love 3

@PBnJay Thanks for posting a photo of the other tweets in the thread. I was not familiar with Lilly until, I think, last week when someone (very possibly you!) posted about her fun Jeopardy! fashion comments. Then this "controversy" popped up on my Twitter feed, courtesy of The Jeopardy Fan, whom I was already following. Jeopardy! was actually trending for a little while yesterday because of this. 😯 Now I'm following Lilly too. 🙂

I agree, it's wild that Mayim has chosen to comment like this during Ken's hosting period. If she's doing this on her own, she needs to have a PR person handle her social media because this is not the best look.

• Love 4