Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E02: Red Lipstick is Not My Color

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

Another fun episode with lots of tasks. I like it when there's a bunch of different challenges.

When Phil said "Hung and Chee", it sounded like "tongue in cheek" at first.

I thought they were doing the tightrope without having a rope to hang onto, but then I saw the parasol handle was the rope.

I'm sad the Olympians left. Too bad pseudo-Gabby told the two blonde girls about the horn!

1 minute ago, Seelouis said:

Am I crazy or did one of the sisters - Michelle or Victoria - say “bonjour” to the white bearded guy and “merci” to the cab driver?  

Yes, she did - I was going to comment on it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

The two blonde girls would have lost to Jerry and Frank had Leo and Alana and might have been eliminated had that not happened. I am glad Phil pointed out how lucky they were. The sisters did not irritate me tonight, I like the football guys.

• Love 4

Curious as to how this yield works. Do you play your hourglass and the next team to arrive automatically has to wait? Or does it function like the yield/uturn of old and you pick out the actual team you want to punish? 

Can't help but notice the complete lack of travelocity commercials through the first 2 episodes. There's usually at least 2 per episode. I know that it's a different world right now, I just hope that they still want to advertise when it's possible to travel again, because it would be tough to survive without the biggest sponsor. Since it was filmed long before the shutdown, I'm sure we will still have a gnome-centric episode at some point.

• Love 4
Just now, Stardancer Supreme said:

Sigh.  Read. The. Clue!

You mean to tell me that all the noise those horns made that no one thought to check for horns?  After hearing the team ahead of them, most of these teams should have realized what their error was.  I'll bet the judge was just walking around thinking these people were stupid.

That was my thought, too! As soon as I heard the horn it was like, can't they HEAR that? then the boys actually shouted when they figured it out and let another team in on it. 🙄

I thought the judge did an excellent job in not making it obvious what was wrong. He never outright looked at the horn.

• Love 19

So mad right now!

Early in the episode when Team Gross Beards started talking about forming an alliance I was like "Oh, come on! Let's not go there this season. I've never felt that THE AMAZING RACE should  have alliances and "helping people". This isn't SURVIVOR, this isn't BIG BROTHER.
Sure enough Team Nerds opening their big mouths directly affected the outcome of the leg. The chips should have been left to fall where they fall but no...and I'll tell you something. I don'think  production was too thrilled about it either if they took the time out to radio Phil to explain what happened.

As for the rest of the episode. Not feeling the NFL players as much now on episode 2. Something about the short guy's attitude was off putting and they were snarking on Phil's jacket and he heard them!
So the boyfriends watched every season of the race and they chose to become a team entirely opposed of Lukes? I swear I was watching the Coddled One all over again with the hissys they were throwing. Their prima donna act is going to wear thin and quickly.
Really liking the focus of Chee and Hung. I can see them going a long way and am so happy they go the prize they were kind of cheated out of at the end of last episode. Hope they made it to Switzerland before Covid.
Speaking of which I am REALLY loving the pandemic free world I am seeing in this show. Please bring that world back again sooner rather than later.

And I have to close with...not enough Victoria!

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 9

Well, the NFLers and Hung and Chee are my big picks to win the race with Michelle and Victoria close behind.  They stand out more to be than Kayelee and what's her name.  They just have more charisma.

The gay guys annoyed the shit out of me for not reading the clue.  Just them.  The others I didn't, but those two made me want to climb the walls.  OK, it was one of them that made me want to climb the walls, the other just seemed put upon.  Wonder how this is going to pan out relationshipwise?

Next stop, The Amazon Rain Forest.  Hope nobody gets horrifying parasites.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm sad the Olympians left. Too bad pseudo-Gabby told the two blonde girls about the horn!

Sorry Lamb 18 but there can only be ONE Gabby and this girl can't hold a candle to her.

Edited by North of Eden
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I missed the 1st 18 minutes. Did anything exciting happen?

It sucks to lose Kellie and LaVonne. I was starting to like them.

I also wondered why the truck honking didn't clue the racers into what they were missing.

When Phil said, " ...may be eliminated," I thought it would be a NEL. But, I guess it's too early in the game.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Sure enough Team Nerds opening their big mouths directly effected the outcome of the leg.

I don't think it affected the outcome all that much. Everyone that was left seemed to realize the problem at the same time. It depended on how quick they were and who shouted 'check' first.

6 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I don't think it affected the outcome all that much. Everyone that was left seemed to realize the problem at the same time. It depended on how quick they were and who shouted 'check' first.

They only realized it because they saw the blondes doing it who were tipped off by the nerds.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

They only realized it because they saw the blondes doing it who were tipped off by the nerds.

I don't see why that matters, the point is they all received the information at almost the same time therefore negating any advantage.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

That was my thought, too! As soon as I heard the horn it was like, can't they HEAR that? then the boys actually shouted when they figured it out and let another team in on it. 🙄

I thought the judge did an excellent job in not making it obvious what was wrong. He never outright looked at the horn.

I think the teams all just thought he was honking the horn that was a normal part of the truck, not something special they had to attach.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I don't see why that matters, the point is they all received the information at almost the same time therefore negating any advantage.

No, I don't see it that way at all. They might STILL be there right now trying to figure it out. LOL. Without the help, any of those other three teams could have figured it out on their own leaving the other teams back in the dust so it didn't wind up who had a better/quicker cabbie. The bottom line is a leg should be won or lost on your own merits or even luck but  certainly not because of information sharing.

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

When Phil said, " ...may be eliminated," I thought it would be a NEL. But, I guess it's too early in the game.

Sometime after the first few seasons they changed it so Phil always said “may be eliminated” on every leg except the first (except in one season I think, when the first leg was a surprise NEL!) It used to be obvious because he’d only say “may” if it was a NEL.

• Love 8

Another fun episode. You can't go wrong with dressing or painting a Racer up to look like a goober, then not give that person an opportunity to clean up. Red lipstick really wasn't DeAngelo's color.

Only really good part about the return of the Yield is that we got a flashback to TAR5. In the long run, Chip & Kim putting the brakes to Colin & Christie didn't matter that much in the end, but I don't think their subsequent breakdown would have happened without it. The different hourglasses makes things more interesting. My guess is that a Yielding team leave the hourglass behind for the affected pair. Sadly, I don't think any team will channel Jerry Seinfeld and proclaim,"WE CHOOSE NOT TO YIELD!!!"

Tasks aren't that huge in terms of scope. Tightrope walking did look harrowing, though, even with the safety cords. I'm happy Alana eventually cleared it, because I could imagine her choking out the trumpeters signaling her failures. BTW, anyone see her and Leo and think of Lori & Dave from TAR9?

Read the clue, read the clue. I get being caught up in things, but if you have watched every season (or even a fraction of those) and you don't check the clue constantly? Then you deserve elimination. Hell, here's a picture I took when I attended the live open of TAR30. I'm linking becuse I can't seem to reduce the size.

I felt bad for the Olympians. We're still at a point where the eliminations aren't that devastating to us fans, but they seemed nice. On the other side, I hope Hung & Chee got to go to Switzerland before the world went sideways.

• Love 10

Second ep without a detour....I wonder if they've been eliminated this season, or maybe they'll just show up every few legs, like how when the FF went from being on every leg to only a couple legs per season. 

48 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

You mean to tell me that all the noise those horns made that no one thought to check for horns?  After hearing the team ahead of them, most of these teams should have realized what their error was.

Seems like they probably thought blowing the horn was just the judge's way of letting them know they had completed the task properly, so they weren't thinking that they actually had to hook it up.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I am sad we lost the Olympians too.  I was really liking them, I like the respect they had for each other and they just seemed fairly chill.  I hate that pseudo-Gabby helped the blonde sisters.   She said it was because they seem nice, but I can’t help but notice that it meant we were going to lose one of the two black teams.   I doubt that was her goal, but I would have felt a lot better about it if they had shown her saying “I am scared of the Olympians because they are Olympians, and Frank and his dad are really athletic, so hopefully one of them will get eliminated”.  Instead... “I like the blondes because they seem nice”.

32 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I disagree.  The blondes had a head start on fixing their horn, and once they started, they were clear.  It looks to us that all three teams finished at the same time, but I think it must take a few minutes to check each truck, because otherwise there would have been a footrace to the mat.

At this point, the gay couple is by far my least favourite team.  Was it the blonde one that said the clue was in the backpack in the car?  The dark haired one whines about everything.  And the constant “babe” is annoying.

I like the football players a lot.  They seem like great friends and support each other.  Loved DeAngelo’s standing backflip.

The goldsmith looked kind of like George RR Martin and it only reminded me of how annoyed I am that the sixth book in his series is overdue by like 6 years.

• LOL 3
  • Love 15

I like it when teams have to do something to get the next piece of route info rather than just driving up to a clue box, but I did notice that we didn't get an actual detour. 

I'm not surprised the Olympians are out.  They only just missed being eliminated in the first leg.  Then the group flight to Columbia equalized all the teams, but from the first task they were behind again.  I think the father-son team will be next.  It may be the editing, but they seem to be more focused on their relationship than actually racing. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

There was one interview mid-episode with the Olympians and one of them seemed to choke back a sob, pretty much giving away the elimination. I've been watching TAR almost from the beginning (Season 4 was my first -- I was Team Clown if anyone cares) and although I have often read comments from other people figuring out eliminations based on mid-episode interviews, this was the first one that seemed really obvious to me.

I love the name Pseudo Gabby! 

Edited by Steph Sometimes
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, blackwing said:

Hey, we had the same thought and I am glad someone else thought the same.  I don’t think pseudo Gabby is necessarily racist but I too thought that there was some unconscious bias.  I wouldn’t be surprised if she thought the blondes seemed nice because she actually, you know, spoke with them.  Meanwhile she probably didn’t have much to say to an old black man and a young black guy, or two female black athletes.

I think the editors failed here, they could have just cut out the part of the help being given and act like they discovered it on their own.  Or they at least could have cut out the explanation.  She is free to help whoever she wants, but the explanation made it worse.  She doesn’t even know the blondes but helped them because they “seem nice”.  I think the other two teams were equally nice.

I'm not throwing race into this. We don't really know how much they've bonded from team to team so they may just actually get along. And by giving the girls the clue they basically gave everyone the clue unless the other teams didn't pay any attention at all. 

And screw it anyway. Every damn person there had all the information they needed. Anyone who lost that leg had only themselves to blame. I wouldn't have told any team anything but there shouldn't have been anything to tell. 

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 11

They brought back the Yield, the worst iteration of the time wasting obstacle, but at least the 10 and 20 minute variance and how they got them was somewhat interesting.

Sharing or not sharing info has been around almost since the beginning of TAR. I don't begrudge any of the teams in back for how they handled themselves. Any of them could have read the clue more carefully. I was bummed that there didn't seem to be much chance of places changing from leaving the final task, but we have seen teams just miss Phil when he's standing right in front of them before.

The Olympians mostly seemed done in by taxi luck, even though they could speak Spanish. That does bring to mind a previous season's winners Nat & Kat, the anesthesiologists. I remember them saying in an interview they spent time at the start of each new city vetting their cab driver if they rode a cab, to make sure they could communicate with them and that they seemed to know what they were doing. I think most teams in TAR's history just jump into the first available cab.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

I think the nerds told the blondes the horn hint only because the blondes were on their direct route to their taxi.  If any other team had been along their route, I suspect they would have blabbed to them instead.  When the girl-nerd (I promise I will learn names as we go) gasped "they seem nice" it read more like an excuse for blabbing rather than a reason or colluding.

And the football buddies told an incoming team "tightrope" before the incoming team got to the clue, and I think that was only a goodwill opportunity rather than an alliance.  It could have been any incoming team.

It seems to me this season's racers are taking some pages from the supportive "Great British Bake Off" book.  Yes, it is a race, but I also kind of like it.  There was also a lot of mutual cheering during the tightrope walking too.  I really liked that.  It doesn't hurt to be nice.

I'm sorry to see the Olympians go.  I really liked them.

But my favorite team is Hung and Chee.  They are adorable and focused.  I love how Hung hugs everyone.  Her enthusiasm is inspiring, and Chee really looks at her with love in his eyes.  They're just so damn cute!  Gawd, I hope they don't melt down and have a scene later on, that would kill me.  I just want to be their next door neighbor.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Second ep without a detour....I wonder if they've been eliminated this season, or maybe they'll just show up every few legs, like how when the FF went from being on every leg to only a couple legs per season.

I'm thinking it's just they were planning on making these last two legs a two-hour episode like they've done in the past (and like what was announced when they originally said this was going to premiere in May). They may have decided there wasn't enough time for a Detour when they already had to fit the team intros, two Road Blocks, the overnight wait in Trinidad, the new Yield setup, the additional tasks, and two Pit Stops into ~80 minutes of episode.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, InDueTime said:

It sucks to lose Kellie and LaVonne. I was starting to like them.

Did they just get unlucky with a taxi driver who didn't know the places as well as the drivers?  He didn't have a charger for his phone at first.

But they were having trouble finding both the first location where they turned in the emerald or the gold thingy and then to the circus place.

Were they finding the directions through the cab driver's phone and dictating them?

Maybe they couldn't switch drivers even if the wanted to.  At the bell tower, the taxis were already lined up so they didn't have to go find one but maybe they have to use the same one all the way through.

1 hour ago, displayname said:

Why are Will and James tagged as "Boyfriends" instead of "Dating"???

Because at the time, that’s what they were. They had already being backpacking to different places around the world together. IIRC, from what I’ve seen, they were living together as well. These days, they’d be described as “engaged.”

You can be sure they won’t forget to read the whole clue from here on out, killer fatigued or not.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

Because at the time, that’s what they were. They had already being backpacking to different places around the world together. IIRC, from what I’ve seen, they were living together as well. These days, they’d be described as “engaged.”

I mean, I don't think I remember a Male/Female pair being described as "Boyfriend and Girlfriend", which is why I was curious.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

There was one interview mid-episode with the Olympians and one of them seemed to choke back a sob, pretty much giving away the elimination. I've been watching TAR almost from the beginning (Season 4 was my first -- I was Team Clown if anyone cares) and although I have often read comments from other people figuring out eliminations based on mid-episode interviews, this was the first one that seemed really obvious to me.

I love the name Pseudo Gabby! 

I was Team Clown too.  

I wasn't able to watch live this week but watched as soon as I could.  I too hate the sharing of information and the teaming up.  It's a race.   I loved the circus task.  Too often the tasks seem so easy in USA TAR. I also watch Canada TAR and they have really hard, hard tasks that push all their teams to their limits.  I wish the USA would go back to having tougher tasks.  

I

• Love 4

Who would have thought decorating a truck could carry so much suspense?  Loved the circus challenge, especially seeing DeAngelo in his bright red lipstick.  

I'm still pretty much liking all the teams and don't want to see any of them go.  I don't mind a team giving another struggling team a clue (so to speak) because that can be a strategy.  Whom would you rather race?  A couple ditzy girls (no offense, I'm sure they're delightful IRL) or physically fit Olympians?  Still, all the bottom teams seem fairly level as far as competence.  Hung and Chee seem so superior in all aspects right now and the NFLers hit their stride in episode 2, as did the Louisiana sisters.  Of course next week the standing can completely flip.  You never know with TAR!

First rule of TAR:  Read the damn clue!  Second rule?  See rule #1.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I wonder if Hung and Chee made that trip to Switzerland.

8 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Really liking the focus of Chee and Hung. I can see them going a long way and am so happy they go the prize they were kind of cheated out of at the end of last episode. Hope they made it to Switzerland before Covid.

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I hope Hung & Chee got to go to Switzerland before the world went sideways.

I think the episode has to air before you collect the prizes.

• Love 3

Alana: I told [The Blonde Sisters] the answer to the truck task because I want them in the race. They seem nice.

Me: And just when I was really liking you and your boyfriend, you went and pulled FRIENDSHIP two countries in. 

I really do like Leo/Alana but if they're gonna dictate who to help based on friendship instead of thinking strategically, then I can do without them. If Alana had said "I told the Blonde Sisters the answer because the other two teams might be more of a detriment to our race later on", then I'd be totally fine. But the fact that it's based off of who is NICE? How does Alana know that the other two teams aren't just as nice, or nicer? Blonde Sisters seem fine and all, but I would NEVER be helping another team if we're also at the very back of the pack. How can you know if you're gonna have a taxi driver who gets seriously lost? Or if you get stuck in traffic? Or the taxi driver takes you to the wrong destination? 

By the way, I was also somewhat bothered by the teams in the first few positions pulling the same shit at the beginning of the leg. Shut up about alliances. This is a RAAAAACCCCEEEE. 

Hung/Chee is still my number 1 team to win, followed by DeAngelo and Gary. Both teams are simply delightful. 

I feel bad for Kellie and Lavonne, who simply got some bad luck coupled with already being at the back of the pack. 

I get that people can miss simple things under intense stress and I can only imagine the stress that comes with racing, but READ THE CLUE. Get your partner to read the clue. Re-read the clue out loud and THEN START. Make sure you and your partner know what the clue says. C'mon!

• Love 9

I'm liking the season so far, but am a little put off by the spoon fed transportation (Episode 1 - provided cabs to airport, 1 flight to destination.  Episode 2 - 1 flight to destination, production-supplied cabs [assumed to be by me based TAR-colored sticker on windshield).  Granted this is all probably necessary because of the -very nice!- destinations, and it may or may not be questionable practice to get into any random cab, if you can even find one, in or near Bogota Columbia.  So I'm not calling out Phil on this, and hoping for some regular airport and cab drama as the season progresses.

Enough complaints!  I'm still happy that this season is finally being aired, that the casting still seems better than recent seasons, and that physically strong teams can still be eliminated early.   

The provided cabs give me some entertainment, as I like to see who/what/where take their backpacks with them when they leave the cab.  I think I saw on this episode where 1 teammate took their pack with them and the other one didn't.  The supplemental info with the clue could be lengthy, complicated and interesting.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, North of Eden said:

No way. It's a slight to the REAL Gabby...a wonderful and memorable realty show contestant as you will find. A barely superficial resemblence does not a Gabby make.

That's why she's Pseudo. 

Another option could be Discount Gabby. On the Survivor forum, someone called Joe Discount Malcolm which cracked me up since I'm not much of a Joe fan.

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Seems like they probably thought blowing the horn was just the judge's way of letting them know they had completed the task properly, so they weren't thinking that they actually had to hook it up.

No crap. Why wouldn't someone figure it out. Looking around saying why is he honking the horn and not getting in ours and honking the horn?

Like the first couple of teams and the father and son.

The nerds, blondes, and whiners (the male couple) can go at any time.

• Love 2

I, too, wondered why hearing the horns didn't clue-in the other teams, but I like the explanation given upthread that maybe they just thought that that was the way the guy was signaling that they completed the task, without realizing that their own horn didn't work.  I remember someone hearing the horn and saying, "how did they get it?" , supporting the theory that they thought the horn signaled the completion of the task, not that the horn WAS the completion of the task.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Nice back flip, DeAngelo! I think he and Gary are my favorite team so far. I like Hung and Chee and the guys with the beards too. The father and son haven't shown much yet in the way of dynamic or personality. Kaylynn and Haley are the typical interchangeable blondes the show casts every year. The nerds are leaning a little too hard into the whole nerd thing. 

I liked the Olympians well enough but they just weren't meant for this race. That had a tough time overcoming the whole dyslexia thing then had bad cab luck on top of it. 

The gay guys can go anytime. They're the whiniest and most annoying.

Still no read on the brother and sister.

I thought the high wire challenge was a bit of a cheat since they were allowed to hang onto a rope for balance. I might change my mind if I had to do it, though. But except for Alana nobody seemed to have any problems getting through it. 

Still no Detour. I don't like all these challenges that are neither Roadblocks nor Detours. 

• Love 4

I am surprisingly sad to lose the Olympians.  But they were struggling from the start, and got apparently the worst cab driver of the bunch (maybe in all of Colombia?  Seems like a cab driver should know where a University in the city is!), and just couldn't recover. 

After last night, I'm ready for the whiny boys who wouldn't read the damn clue to go next!  I suspect they'll stick around though.

Love the couple who won, and the NFL players are growing on me.  The backflip at the mat helped a lot. 

I also cheered at the flashback to Colin and the Yield.  That was one of the best episodes ever.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Brynnjk said:

I also watch Canada TAR and they have really hard, hard tasks that push all their teams to their limits.  I wish the USA would go back to having tougher tasks

I've only been able to watch parts of the first 2 seasons of TAR Canada, but I don't think original TAR has ever had tasks as physically difficult as the Canada version, task after task after task.  It was exhausting to even watch.  

Back on topic, I miss the Amazing Yellow Line, I don't care if they're all in the same plane or not.  It helps me visualize that they're actually racing around the world.  The Little Yellow Line showing a local taxi route is simply not amazing. 

• Love 5