Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

This proud Kansan got Kansas! We’ve been there, too!

Also got Mojave and The Windsors.  For FJ, I came up with GB instead of U.K.,.

Me too....I love Mt Sunflower! That’s my mental image of America. I also said GB....

• Love 1

I truly am a resident of Bizarro World (TM Seinfeld) since I immediately knew FJ and thought man, this show is really dumbing it down, that's way beyond super easy. Then all three players missed it, and I was all WTH! Then I come here and no one here got it either. This is freaking me out, me being in an alternate universe.

Then Trebek promos Jeopardy's YouTube channel, saying "You don't want to miss this." And plays a video of Jazz-Hands Austin. My reaction was, "Yeah, I do definitely want to miss that."

I will miss Sameer though. Sad to see him go.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Congrats to Eric - but damn, looking that much like a  former Hollywood bigwig, now disgraced & convicted sexual predator, is just disturbing!

Years ago I met a young guy who looked exactly like Tim McVeigh. Nice enough kid but boy I had trouble looking at him. Just a very uncomfortable vibe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And for the Colorado clue, I must have misread -- I thought they were going for the state instead of the college, so I said Colorado as well.

I did the same. I almost went back to watch that bit again so see how I misunderstood it.

I got Kansas, The Windsors, food court sport, and iodine.

The other day (or today?) in my daily crossword was a clue about the Hapburgs, so for tonight's game I said, Theresa Hapsburg. 

I too said GB for FJ. Oh well.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I originally thought "UK", but figured it was too obvious (and therefore wrong) so I went with "FR" (for France). Sigh. And it would have been a * too!

Me too 😞 Though I did also consider Belgium, I ended up dismissing the UK as too obvious and going with FR.

1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

Congrats to Eric - but damn, looking that much like a  former Hollywood bigwig, now disgraced & convicted sexual predator, is just disturbing!

This is all I saw when looking at Eric. I am so glad I was not the only one who thought so.

• Love 1

I got a Weinstein vibe, too, but only from looks.  I doubt he's a sex predator.  He should shave or fully commit to a beard to thwart comparisons.

Mount Sunflower - at least it's higher that the highest point in the state where I grew up:  https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/things-to-do/arts-history/britton-hill-highest-point-florida.html

That pic I posted is in front of a gift shop that, for some odd reason was closed in late August.  I can see closing on Labor Day for the season, but AUGUST?  I wanted a tacky 45th parallel snow globe!

I thought of OC for FJ - as in "occupied."  My mom used to collect ceramic figurines of accordion players (a very specific niche) and she about 10 that were labelled on the bottom "Occupied Japan."  By the time the 90s rolled around, they weren't as valuable as she apparently thought they were.  😞

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

There was a Curb Your Enthusiasm plot point this year where people avoided Jeff (played by Jeff Garlin) because he looks like Weinstein.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was watching football during tonight's episode, then got distracted by other things for a while, and just got around to checking the archive.

It seemed "on paper" like a good game, but the iodine TS was a bit surprising.

I missed two in the first round, and three in DJ, and FJ was an instaget, so I had a good game - probably helped by me reading the archive rather than watching (I limit my time for responding, but still - it's not the same as needing to spit the answer out before a contestant). 

Edited by Bastet
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I truly am a resident of Bizarro World (TM Seinfeld) since I immediately knew FJ and thought man, this show is really dumbing it down, that's way beyond super easy. Then all three players missed it, and I was all WTH! Then I come here and no one here got it either. This is freaking me out, me being in an alternate universe.

Same!

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

- I thought they were going for the state instead of the college, so I said Colorado as well.

Same here and what really irked me was two of my good friends went there so I should have been more specific (usually I put out my answer with some supporting evidence). I got Kansas, Iodine and Maria Theresa. I didn’t get FJ, but my watching partner did. Why did I ever get him into watching this with me? He got Phil Mickelson last week too. 

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ by guess.  Seemed to obvious and there were other colonizing countries as well.  Then I was half afraid it would be GB instead.

I got it by logic, figuring the UK was the biggest colonizer in Africa, but when the woman had "GB" I thought, for a moment, that I was wrong.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And for the Colorado clue, I must have misread -- I thought they were going for the state instead of the college, so I said Colorado as well.

I said Colorado State (having once lived there) and then was surprised they accepted Colorado. Then vindicated when they corrected it. Though I did worry that it might have been University of Colorado instead.

I didn't notice the resemblance, but if I do, my feelings don't always translate to the same ones I have for the "original". For example, Adam Driver is a dead ringer for my ex (even looked him up to see if he might have been his child), and I still like Adam. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I considered GB, but finally went with UK as well.  "United Kingdom" is broader than "Great Britain" (since it includes Northern Ireland), and UK seems to be the way that the country is usually abbreviated in official contexts.  But I also agree it was a bit difficult to figure out what they were asking for.  I momentarily thought that the mention of "two initials" meant that they wanted two different countries.

Am I the only person who has never heard of Task Rabbit?

• Love 4

That was a good game.  I'm sorry Sameer lost but new champ is okay too.  I can't say I particularly noticed a resemblance to Weinstein but now I won't be able to un-see it.

Not a great game for me, just average.  I got the ts's of Kansas, Maria Therese, and iodine.

For FJ I was on the same track as Sameer, thinking it was more about being a member of the  Commonwealth rather than belonging to UK.  So, I said CN for commonwealth nation.

• Love 2

Here in Wisconsin in the middle of a corn field is our tribute to the 45th meridian.    The exact half-way point between the Equator and the North Pole and half-way between the Greenwich Meridian and the International Date Line.  So I knew that is what it was.

Kansas was easy since it is the sunflower state.  I ran a couple of categories today but for final I thought GB.

Edited by WI GIRL56
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Am I the only person who has never heard of Task Rabbit?

I still have never heard of Task Rabbit, even though I heard it on Jeopardy yesterday

1 hour ago, WI GIRL56 said:

Here in Wisconsin in the middle of a corn field is our tribute to the 45th meridian. 

Photo, please!

• Love 1

Never heard of Task Rabbit.  I said University of Colorado instead of Colorado State.  My FJ! reply was "BC for Belgian Congo, then WG for West Germany, then I give up."  Difference between UK and GB?????? 

17 hours ago, illdoc said:

I originally thought "UK", but figured it was too obvious (and therefore wrong) so I went with "FR" (for France). Sigh. And it would have been a * too!

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who did that.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Me, too.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

It seemed "on paper" like a good game, but the iodine TS was a bit surprising.

I knew that one but couldn't quite locate it in my brain.  Which is a bit crazy given a) I have thyroid issues, although they are not related to iodine, and b) it's mentioned more than once in Chernobyl, which I've watched at least parts of 4 times.

I did get Kansas and Maria Theresa, at least.

I also have never heard of Task Rabbit.  Is it related to Facey-Space or Tikky Tak? :-D

1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

FYI, there is no agreed upon definition about where "Up North" begins

Ever read Lonesome Dove?

Paraphrasing:

Newt: How far is it to up north?

Call:  Well, north isn't a place, it's a direction.

• Love 6

Crap! Did not realize that there was baseball (not the Cubs) today too. So no J! at its regular time slot today (Tue) or tomorrow (Wed) in Chicago (Channel 7). Don't know about the rest of the week. Check your listings to see if it's on at 2am or whenever.

I thought they wanted the name of a real lake. You know, my brain tried to help me---it made the title "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" pop into my head, but before it started the song, I said "No, brain. That's not helpful". Silly me!

• Love 5

I got pavlova, and fainting. And thought it was funny that I had posted just a little bit ago about mobiles=Calder and here it was again! Did not get FJ, thought that was a very convoluted clue. I said Superior.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

FYI, there is no agreed upon definition about where "Up North" begins

Highway 10 in Wisconsin!

I was yelling at the TV when they took light headed for syncope. 4 years of nursing school come in handy. The reversal was correct. But final jeopardy ....the question made no sense to me. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Did not get FJ, thought that was a very convoluted clue. I said Superior.

I did too. Clearly I misread it and now I have to go check the archive and read it again because I'm still confused.

• Love 6

Okay, here is the answer: "An 1855 poem gives us this Native American name for the 1 Great Lake not known to us today by a Native American word or a tribe's name."

Now I understand the clue but I was not going to come up with the correct question.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Clearly I misread it and now I have to go check the archive and read it again because I'm still confused.

I've had a few clues on my desktop Jeopardy calendar that were like that, so convoluted you had to pick apart the meaning. I had to read it too, because of the baseball game, maybe listening to Alex's inflections might have helped, but then again the contestants didn't get it either.

• Love 1

I didn't understand the FJ question. It doesn't matter because I wouldn't have known anyway, but I think I interpreted it exactly the same way the champ did because I also said Superior.

The only TS I got was Lucrezia Borgia, but there weren't that many in the first place, so I don't feel that bad about it.

I got the entire category of anagrams right.  I really liked the Christmas tree one because the anagram actually described it also.

• Love 2

On "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me," host Peter Sagal once said, "Gitche Gumee never gives up her dead" (a mixture of Hiawatha and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.)

The common mnemonic for the Great Lakes is HOMES, but if you say Super Man Helps Every One, you have them in order from west to east.

Edited by Driad
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Okay, here is the answer: "An 1855 poem gives us this Native American name for the 1 Great Lake not known to us today by a Native American word or a tribe's name."

Now I understand the clue but I was not going to come up with the correct question.

Yeah, I was going through the Great Lakes names then I realized I just needed to know the Native American name for any of them. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I immediately said Gitche Gumee, but then rethought it as asking for the name of the Great Lake and said Lake Superior.  That's what I get for watching from the kitchen pass-through while grabbing dessert!

(Thanks to my junior high homeroom and English teacher, who liked for us to learn poems by heart. "By the shores of Gitche Gumee, by the shining big sea waters, stood the wigwam of Nokomis, daughter of the moon Nokomis...."

Edited by j5cochran
  • Love 8