Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't know why Eric said Madagascar. Maybe he wasn't looking at the picture.

I might have said Madagascar if I hadn't - just a couple of days ago - looked at a map with Madagascar on it - so I knew it was bigger. Still wouldn't have gotten Seychelles, though. I confuse it with seashells way too often.

18 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

"Gitche Gumee" (as Longfellow spelled it--the preferred spelling these days is gichi-gami) is the Ojibwe name for Lake Superior.  The 1855 poem the clue refers to is Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha."

I agree it was a little hard to parse, but I got it pretty quickly.  It's one of those clues where you need to look at what follows the word this:  "this Native American name."  That's the hint that they didn't want the English name "Superior."

I pegged the "this Native American name" right away and thought "lake, native name" and got it. Once my husband gave his guess (he was confused by the wording too), I started reciting the poem. One of a handful of which I can recite the opening lines.

16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got all of those, but I use alexandrite as my birth stone (the modern alternative) because I don't like pearls.

I use Zircon because I hate Turquoise. I like my jewels shiny.

16 hours ago, illdoc said:

Everyone, sing with me!:

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy…

Never even entered my head... but cool. 🙂

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I use Zircon because I hate Turquoise. I like my jewels shiny.

Mine is Opal, or Tourmaline, or Rose Quartz. Opals can be fragile (I had a necklace that literally fell apart because it got wet too many times and the water got into the veins), and most things where birthstone is an option use rose quartz, My college class 'ring' (actually a pendant) had the option of rose quartz or a dark green tourmaline (even though google tells me it's supposed to be pink, too). I went for the green because it was different and I hadn't seen it as an option before (and I didn't really want pink). 

I think I got all the birthstone clues. I know I got aquamarine and topaz because they are my brother's and father's birthstones, respectively.

• Love 3

I knew it was Gitchee Gumee because of the Gordon Lightfoot song and also the poem....by the shores of Gitchee Gumee Song of Hiawatha by Longfellow.  Also grew up by Lake Michigan but Superior is my favorite lake.

• Love 1

Not a great game for me.  No ts's, although I don't think there were too many.

Didn't get FJ.  I figured it was a US president but hadn't heard that story about TR.  I knew McKinley was 1901 (thanks in part to Murdoch Mysteries) so I just drew a blank.

• Love 4

I wonder if judges would have accepted Gitchey Goomee.

Clearly that is a different name of a different lake. DENIED

I remember WIN, was in college at the time. Poor Gerald Ford. A smart and decent man who was forever tarred with being clumsy and not too bright. The man went to Michigan and Yale, FFS!

image.png.d49d508dfe239a92662170f296e285b8.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I liked the birthstones category and got them all. I did get George Takei (glad I could say it and not write it because obviously my minds spell checker is broken...no wait, I went on IMDB and did spell it correctly even though it looks wrong) and Oslo. I missed FJ, but of course my watching partner got Teddy Roosevelt. He must be studying when I’m not around lol. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Clearly that is a different name of a different lake. DENIED

I remember WIN, was in college at the time. Poor Gerald Ford. A smart and decent man who was forever tarred with being clumsy and not too bright. The man went to Michigan and Yale, FFS!

image.png.d49d508dfe239a92662170f296e285b8.png

My laugh emoticon was for the bolded line, not for Poor Gerald Ford who came in at #25 on this Best presidents list.

eta: I liked the list because it showed how they were ranked, their strong and weak points; that made it interesting.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

Almost missed this. Online guide had another baseball game on but I guess it was cancelled due to weather. I'm lucky I actually went to the channel to see.

Got the TS's of Frankenstein Friday, Dentist, Tempo and balance. And finally got FJ my first one this week.

• Love 2

The only category I ran was Jam. I think I need to eat some dinner. 

Only TS I got was Frankenstein Friday (which I have never heard of). (edit: I also got artificial heart, linzer torte, and Les Paul. Clearly I am not good at keeping track of the TS's...)

I got 51% of all the clues (17/30, or 57%, in J and 11/26, or 42%, in DJ). That E 1-2-3-4-5 category really threw me off.

Including FJ, which was a near-insta-get. Last year's trip to the Viking exhibit at the Franklin Institute may have helped.

I got FJ.  I got the TS of artificial heart, bagel, Judge (didn't know first name), tempo, balance, and Mediterannean fruit fly.

I got the entire category of young an dreckless right.

• Love 4

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Probably didn't hurt that I just finished a novel called "Miss Iceland", wherein the characters chatted a lot about some of the Icelandic sagas.  

Were there a lot of TS tonight?  It seemed like it!  I got a fair few, including Linzer torte, Frankenstein Friday (never heard of it, either, I just figured it out), bagel, tempo, covey, Les Paul, and Medfly.  Assuming they would have accepted Medfly. If not, I could have been more specific.

I just noticed tonight that the now-former champ was a leaner.  It must not be as obvious when the contestants are spaced out as they are now.  

• Love 2

From last night I got WC Handy, George Takei, and Regina King.

I said McKinley for FJ even though I was pretty sure his assassination came much earlier. TR never occurred to me.

Tonight I got a few TSs: artificial heart, linzer, Frankenstein Friday, bagel, dentist ("Is it safe?"), tempo, and Les Paul.

I really wanted to get FJ -- former English major here -- but I just couldn't get it. I guess I should have known it was saga.

What I thought about the third contestant: "Phillip, a naval officer who looks like he's wearing a uniform even when he's not." 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Yet another archive night (I was watching football), and it will wind up being an entire week of archive nights, as tomorrow's game will be preempted by NBA playoffs.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the poster here who's among those responsible for the J!Archive, but let me reiterate my thanks for such a great resource.

Artificial heart, tempo, and Les Paul surprised me as TS.

Lots of TS in the first round; southpaws stumped me, too, keeping me from running the round.  I completely blew the movie thrillers category in DJ, and missed several scattered others.  I got FJ, so still a good game overall, but I hate when I bomb an entire category.

I thought I had a decent game last night until FJ. I got artificial heart, Linzer Torte, the Giants, and dentist. For FJ I said odyssey instead of saga, but at least my watching partner was stumped too. Loved the Jam category and got them all. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Tonight I got a few TSs: artificial heart, linzer, Frankenstein Friday, bagel, dentist ("Is it safe?"), tempo, and Les Paul.

I really wanted to get FJ -- former English major here -- but I just couldn't get it. I guess I should have known it was sag

I got Frankenstein Friday, bagel, artificial heart and dentist. That scene is etched in my mind, as I saw the film the day before I went to the dentist for the first time in 10 years. Not a comforting movie. LOL

I had to use the J! archive (well, actually, I accidentally used the archive, thinking I was reviewing Wednesdays program which did not run on our station because of some kind of sport. Thinking basketball... But I only answered the questions I'd actually answered when the Mister and I watched the show. I got some morals. 😉 

Anyway, I really kicked myself (as I'm also a former English major) for not getting saga.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

There were a lot of ts's last night and I did get quite a few: artificial heart (a surprising ts), Linzer torte, Frankenstein Friday, NY Giants, tempo, covey and Les Paul.

Once again they ticked me off by leaving a category I wanted to see until last and only having time for two clues - that was the Historic Women category.

I did get FJ pretty quickly but I wasn't fully confident in it

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Frankenstein Friday, bagel, artificial heart and dentist. That scene is etched in my mind, as I saw the film the day before I went to the dentist for the first time in 10 years. Not a comforting movie. LOL

Yikes! Like watching The Poseidon Adventure on a cruise ship.

• LOL 7
12 minutes ago, ABay said:

Would "George Ta-kay/Tak-eye" be accepted? I can never remember which pronunciation is correct. Sorry, George.

I couldn't remember which one either, for many years. Then I heard George say "Takay - as in gay" in an interview, and that stuck.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, ABay said:

Would "George Ta-kay/Tak-eye" be accepted? I can never remember which pronunciation is correct. Sorry, George.

It's Ta-kay but I think Tak-eye would be accepted. It's a common (and understable, given the spelling) mispronunciation.

Takai (tak-eye) in Japanese means "expensive" so he doesn't mind. 😉

• Love 2

The clue in FJ that it's saga, even if you're not familiar with the specific sagas mentioned in the answer, are in the spellings. If you can recognize Njall or Gisli as Nordic names, that rules out odyssey and opus. I'm not saying someone who didn't automatically think saga should necessarily get there, but if you're ruling out other possible answers, the word origins give it a way a bit.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I follow Mr. Takei on Twitter. No mention that he was a clue much less a TS on Wednesday's show.

I answered "narrative" for FJ. I don't know the origin of narrative or of any of the other wrong answers. If I did, I guess I wouldn't have answered incorrectly.

I missed the show yesterday so played the game on J-Archive. The fact that I couldn't answer even a fraction of clues correctly gives some insight into my current sad mental condition.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The clue in FJ that it's saga, even if you're not familiar with the specific sagas mentioned in the answer, are in the spellings. If you can recognize Njall or Gisli as Nordic names, that rules out odyssey and opus. 

Yes, after we were told 'saga' was the correct response, I thought, "Oh yeah, wasn't there something Nordic in the clue. Doh."

• Love 1

No Jeopardy here today, just "special reports." I should have done my errands today instead of yesterday since I missed yesterday's show by being gone, so was looking forward to today.

"Doom and gloom."

• Love 1

Tonight I got 77% of J and 37% of DJ + FJ which worked out to 57% overall.

I kept telling the middle contestant pick faster but she wasn't listening to me. I was surprised they didn't run out of time.

• Love 2

Well, rats.  I went to Great Britain instead of Italy, and came up with nothing.  And it seems so easy in hindsight!  Boo, hiss.

I kept shouting at middle woman to pick up the pace, too.  I'm glad our champ is returning.

As for TS, I only got three -- Alaska, Acapulco, and finish.  Did all those latitude places start with A?  I feel like I wasn't paying as much attention tonight as I should have been.

• Love 3

I feel like I’m missing something. The returning champ, who got the DD almost at the end - why wouldn’t he have bet enough to make it a runaway if he was correct? Even if he missed it, he still would have been well positioned, right? 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Did all those latitude places start with A?

All except for Somalia.

The GM, Dale Carnegie, and Standard and Poor's TS surprised me.  Finish (carpentry) did a bit, too.

Pippa didn't need a last name?  She's not Cher.

It was a pretty meh game for me; I missed probably a dozen.  No blown categories, just a bunch of misses scattered across the board.  At least FJ was an IG.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I feel like I’m missing something. The returning champ, who got the DD almost at the end - why wouldn’t he have bet enough to make it a runaway if he was correct? Even if he missed it, he still would have been well positioned, right? 

I wondered the same thing in the moment. All I can come up with is he was expecting not to know it, so he didn't want to lose too much, and was hoping he'd be able to still win by being right in FJ? Otherwise, I have no idea.

I was yelling at the champ to bet $1700 on that last DD! If he got it right, he guaranteed himself the win and if he got it wrong he’s in the exact same position he already was. Didn’t end up mattering due to the toddler level FJ, but still! Simple math should be a requisite skill!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I was yelling at the champ to bet $1700 on that last DD! If he got it right, he guaranteed himself the win and if he got it wrong he’s in the exact same position he already was. Didn’t end up mattering due to the toddler level FJ, but still! Simple math should be a requisite skill!

"toddler level FJ"? 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I think he just knew he wasnt good at the category, even though the clue turned at easy, and was thinking if that more than the current scores, didn't cross his mind

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Pippa didn't need a last name?  She's not Cher.

I wondered about that, too. After all, it could have been Longstocking. Oh, that's Pippi, isn't it.

I got Lindbergh, Alaska, Aral, finish, Carnegie, and Brad Pitt, which was a guess. I was actually picturing him in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Hey, my answer still counts as right.

I wasn't sure about matron being accepted instead of matriarchy. I also thought Jason said "third on a match," instead of three on a match.

I was amused by Jason saying a wheelchair used to be called an iron horse. Maybe he was thinking of Ironsides?

FJ was pretty easy once I got my head out of Chicago.

• Love 3

Poking my head in to say "hi"... haven't been here in months (and for the first time in my life, stopped watching J!) - it's been a busy time for me, mostly good stuff. Playing in the lake with grandkids kind of good stuff.

Just wanted to say I'm happy Alex is still kicking c's butt, and for the past few days, I've been enjoying the eye candy champions. No, that's not sexist, it's what I call 'truth'. I'm also glad my blood's still pumping to all parts of my anatomy - ahem - I'm not dead yet (and my eyes still work)!

Carry on...

• Love 7