Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Another one and done champion.  Maybe Sameer will break the trend.

Another good game for me with the ts's of Advent, egotist, agony, Henry Moore, Medusa and the missed DD of Queen Victoria.

I said nova first for FJ then the word 'signal' in the clue jumped out at me and I changed it to pulsar. Good thing I did.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I thought that Final Jeopardy was neutron star.  I looked up pulsar on Wikipedia, and it's a form of a neutron star. I wonder if they would count that as correct.

I think the person running the FJ Contest will allow neutron star. Just as long as you really didn't say neutron dance.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On ‎09‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 7:33 PM, dgpolo said:

Surprisingly I got it too. Only because I knew there were elephants there, I kept going India? Thailand? India? Thailand? until I was running out of time and wrote down Thailand. Really didn't think I would get it based on the category and only guessed based on the elephant.

I should've gotten, given how many times Amazing Race has gone to elephant sanctuaries in Thailand, and given Jade's infamous comment about elephants being descended from dinosaurs in the ANTM episodes in Thailand.  But I didn't, and said India.

On ‎09‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

I got the TS of burned at the stake, Vandals, and Fulton

So did I.  If it's steamboats, it's Robert Fulton.  (Plus I live about 30 min down Rt 272 from Robert Fulton Township, PA.)

On ‎09‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

Which is better than I did trying to come up with Henry Miller -- I knew that one, but his name just would not come to me.  

I was like "Henry James?  No, too early.  That guy from Henry and June, wrote Tropic of Cancer, what the hell's his name?".

On ‎09‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:34 PM, Mindthinkr said:

got Fulton, Bonnaroo (Dr John fan) and Thailand

I got Bonnaroo because I used to work with a couple of guys who went every year; one of them was very cute, and his older brother was absolutely smoking hot.  I should've gotten Lollapalooza but couldn't drag it out of my brain.

I wouldn't say this season bites, but the last couple of games have been too slow.

• Love 3
On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 2:49 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Gershwin didn't need a BMS because Ira was lyrics only; George wrote the music.

Browne was the only one I GOT in that category.

But what did Kit Gershwin do?

On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:59 PM, dgpolo said:

Did well in Parts of Speech and Swift. Got the TS of the Netherlands and got FJ.

I did so-so in Parts of Speech (my inner Stannis Baratheon must've been asleep) but did get the Netherlands, and FJ.

On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, ams1001 said:

What does it say about me that I never watched a single one of the shows in the TV category (other than one or two partial episodes of Scandal) but I got all but one of them right (I knew Paul Giamatti was in Billions, but the title didn't come to me)?

That you pay attention to entertainment news?  Like me.  I did watch the 1st two seasons of The Wire (and adore Idris Elba) but none of the others and still got them all correct.

On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to get FJ, but I got it.

I got the TS of dulcimer, Rockies, cheese, censure, and Netherlands.

I got the entire category of USA rght and the partial ategory of Swifties.

I missed two clues (one of which would have given me the entire Politics category) because I was silly.  I said Gary Trudeau (I don't know why) and the 7 Days War.

I got dulcimer, Rockies, cheese, clavichord and the Netherlands.  I did okay in Politics for a change, but I did say 8 Days War before changing it to 6.

On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 11:04 PM, peeayebee said:

I still think it needed a BMS because not everyone knows who wrote what and may have thought Ira wrote An American in Paris.

Jeopardy is really inconsistent about that - hence all our Kit Carson jokes.

17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I was very proud of myself for getting Fleet Admiral

That clue set me off on a google-search to see if I was correct in remembering that the Admiral of the Red was the highest rank in the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.  I was.  Yay!

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm very disappointed nobody knew WZ's "Lawyers Guns And Money" (Zevon was not known for using commas and he capitalized every word in his song titles.) And how funny is it that FJ references LGM (Little Green Men) when Zevoneers believe it means Lawyers Guns Money. LOL.

So was I.  Damned fine song from a brilliant artist, and none of these bozos knew it.  UGH.

I surprised myself by getting pulsar - I always say I don't know enough about astronomy and wished I knew more.

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"I Played Her in the Movie" -- the only one I got was Streep.  I'm too old for those other young ladies.

I couldn't remember Emily Blunt but did get the rest.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was surprised they missed Auburn -- I don't really follow college football, and I got that one.

I always say that if you wanted to commit a burglary in Alabama, do it during the Alabama-Auburn game.  (Weird side note: I've been binge-watching an Australian soap from the early 2000s, and have seen two episodes involving the Melbourne Cup.  The first Dick Francis book I ever read had the main character commit a burglary in Melbourne during the race because he knew no one would be on the street to see him do it.  I think of that whenever I see a mention of the Alabama-Auburn game.)

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Advent was also a surprising TS, as Advent calendars are ubiquitous, at least in these parts.  I also got egotist and lawyers, and was disappointed that no one knew lawyers.  I guess the song was before their time...

I said Lent, then was all "No, that thing with the calendars my best friend buys every year", but never got to Advent.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Was "Fleet Admiral" a racehorse question/clue? Is so, I got it without even seeing that part of the show!

What is "What if Count Fleet and War Admiral had a baby?"  lol

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I think the person running the FJ Contest will allow neutron star. Just as long as you really didn't say neutron dance.

I wouldn't allow it, because not all neutron stars are pulsars.  But it's not egregiously wrong.

23 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

What is "What if Count Fleet and War Admiral had a baby?"  lol

Side note: Fleet Admiral is a grandson of Tiznow on the sire's side while Tiz The Law, favored to be this year's Wonder Horse (but unfortunately beaten in the Kentucky Derby) is a grandson of Tiznow on the distaff side. You'll thank me if there is a future Tiz category.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I surprised myself by getting pulsar - I always say I don't know enough about astronomy and wished I knew more.

I listen to Star Talk Radio so that helps. I've read about pulsars, too, though, so I can't say where I know it from, but I got it before Alex finished reading. (I'm a bit of a science nerd without the aptitude to actually be a scientist.)

• Love 3

Knew I was going to jinx myself yesterday, I did not get FJ ☹️

I got all the hair things and I don't know what to think about that.🙄

I only missed the Wasserstein clue in Plays.

And my daughter just got a Belgian Malinois so I knew that one.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

And my daughter just got a Belgian Malinois so I knew that one.

A Mal is not a common companion breed. Does your daughter show or do agility or AKC scent work?

As I posted previously, I dislike g**f with the heat of a zillion suns, almost as much as I hate f**tb**l. So no FJ for me. And I'm fine with that.

• Love 2
Just now, saber5055 said:

A Mal is not a common companion breed. Does your daughter show or do agility or AKC scent work?

No, Zelda is a companion dog, she may have some German Shepherd in her too but she looks all Malinois.

I didn't even know the sport for FJ, I guessed Michael Jordan.

• Love 1

I gasped out loud when no one knew St Louis. Heh, and I so would have answered cheesemakers for the meek question. 

My guess was Tiger Woods even though I don’t think he’s 50 yet. But I got the sport right! 

• LOL 3
27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I said, "Some golf guy" for FJ.

I was thinking NASCAR. Because I would never think of g*lf. Michael Jordan went through my brain, but he's long retired. I should have kept in that sport and said LeBron James. At least that's a better wrong answer than Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Kyle Bush.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

My guess was Tiger Woods even though I don’t think he’s 50 yet. But I got the sport right! 

I knew it wasn't Tiger because for some reason I know he's three months younger than me. I can name a few current golfers if I think hard enough, and recognize a few more names (just from hanging out at my parents' house on many a weekend afternoon), but I have no idea how old any of them are.

• Love 1

I'm glad Sameer got credit for careen. I had made a note to check it out after the show, but the judges ruling it okay saved me the effort and from posting a gripe about this episode.

Although I do strongly object to Mr. Trebek announcing to us all, "A Final Jeopardy everyone can relate to." To that I reply, "Yeah, no. Not at all."

I'm glad Sameer won. I like him and hope he continues to do well.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm glad Sameer got credit for careen. I had made a note to check it out after the show, but the judges ruling it okay saved me the effort and from posting a gripe about this episode.

I thought it was careen as well before the judges ruling. To me, veer always had the connotation of a more gentle going off course but I guess the dictionary says otherwise!

• Love 1

Ouch for Julissa; the only one to know FJ, but it didn't come to her in time, so instead of winning, she ended up in third place with a dollar.

The clue about Twelve Angry Men belonged in the first round - of the Toddler Tournament.

Merlin was a surprising TS, as was Antwerp.  Supreme Court Justice, St. Louis, and meek were all clues I'd have expected someone to get (deem, too, even though Alex thinks it's an uncommon word), but those were the two that truly surprised me as TS.

I only got one of the TV shows in the first round, and that was a lucky guess (Mad Men), so I was not off to a good start once again this week, but I got everything else in the round until they got to the classical music category, at which point I only got one of the three revealed clues (baroque, thanks to the pun).  I just missed a few scattered clues in DJ, but I had no idea on FJ other than to know it was someone from a sport I don't follow.  So I gave up, but if I'd thought about the age, I'd have at least got as far as "Who is some golfer dude?"

• Love 2

For FJ I said Tiger Woods even though I didn't think he was 50. 

As for other TSs, I got Merlin, Supreme Court, The Matchmaker, and Antwerp, which I somehow have retained from a movie in which that was a code word or a word that snapped someone in/out of a brainwashing thing. Manchurian Candidate? The Marathon Man? I can't remember.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As I posted previously, I dislike g**f with the heat of a zillion suns, almost as much as I hate f**tb**l. So no FJ for me. And I'm fine with that.

I dislike golf as well, but the Mister watches it, so he knew the answer. Me, I think as someone posted somewhere up thread (sorry I've forgotten who), it's primary use for me is nap taking. Nice and soothing.

13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Heh, and I so would have answered cheesemakers for the meek question.

Of all the amusing lines in that movie - that's the one  I always remember. 🙂

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was griping about it on the couch until the ruling.

• Love 3

Congrats to Sameer for winning a second game.

I came into the game a couple of minutes late and that really tossed me off for the rest of the Jeopardy round.

I got the ts's of deem, St. Louis and The Matchmaker.

I was ticked that 1920 got left until last and only two clues were shown.

Like so many of you, I knew the sport was golf but couldn't think of any older players except for really old guys like Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus, who aren't playing (or even living) anymore. But as soon as I saw "Phil" that Julissa wrote, I remembered Mickelson.  I wonder if she just ran out of time or couldn't quite remember his last name.  Too bad, whichever it was.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Although I do strongly object to Mr. Trebek announcing to us all, "A Final Jeopardy everyone can relate to." To that I reply, "Yeah, no. Not at all."

I'm glad Sameer won. I like him and hope he continues to do well.

Totally agree with all three. Sameer's facial expression when "careen" was first rejected made me think he knew it should be accepted. Are contestants allowed to challenge a ruling? If so, are they instructed to wait until a break?

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Totally agree with all three. Sameer's facial expression when "careen" was first rejected made me think he knew it should be accepted. Are contestants allowed to challenge a ruling? If so, are they instructed to wait until a break?

I just googled this cuz you made me curious. Found a couple reddit threads from a couple+ years ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/3qlgmn/do_contestants_have_ability_to_appeal_or_legal/

As long as you raise your objection in the course of the game it's totally a valid move. During breaks in taping, you can bring an issue to Maggie (the producer / contestant coordinator) and ask her to relay it to the judges. There is also an independent representative of a compliance company whose job it is to ensure that no contestant is disadvantaged by anything improper (such as an equipment malfunction or Alex doing something zany). So between those two oversight roles, you definitely have recourse if you believe something unfair happened. However, you're ultimately bound by the judges' decisions -- the contract you sign before going on the show requires you to waive your right to challenge the outcome of a game in court.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/7ec1xz/how_does_a_protest_work_mid_game/

During breaks in play, a producer will check in with each of the contestants to offer some general words of encouragement and an opportunity to protest a result. These breaks are the only time you're allowed to protest, and the judges will always address the protest before play resumes. This is all specifically discussed in the morning briefing so everyone is on the same page. Same rules for ToC as any regular game. ...You just wouldn't know it from the broadcast because they always phrase it as though the judges had made the decision to revisit the clue entirely on their own.

• Useful 6

I knew FJ would be a golfer because it said “individual athlete,” so no one who is on a team (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) but I could only think of Tiger Woods. I didn’t think he was 50 but then just thought more time had passed since he won the Masters than I thought. (Nope, he’s 44.)

I was cracking up at Julissa’s answer of “Pope Ginsburg.” 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

During breaks in play, a producer will check in with each of the contestants to offer some general words of encouragement and an opportunity to protest a result. These breaks are the only time you're allowed to protest, and the judges will always address the protest before play resumes. You just wouldn't know it from the broadcast because they always phrase it as though the judges had made the decision to revisit the clue entirely on their own.

This is enlightening. And Sameer's "careen" approval came after a break. And sometimes scores are adjusted just before FJ. Yes, it does appear judges come up with the change on their own (I always thought "Hooray for those super-smart judges!"), but now I know contestants protest an answer being declared incorrect, it's not the brilliant judges. Thanks for that info, @ams1001 (who is having a birthday soon).

ETA: It still makes me wonder if clues are being vetted that thoroughly though. It's not like careen is an obscure word, and many of us here thought of it.

Even if I had thought of g*lf, I would not have said Tiger Woods as he's only just starting to come out of his on-wife-cheating-rage-induced-divorce slump and play/win again, so no way would I think he could top a highest-paid-athlete list. Before all that, yes. Now, no.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This is enlightening. And Sameer's "careen" approval came after a break. And sometimes scores are adjusted just before FJ. Yes, it does appear judges come up with the change on their own (I always thought "Hooray for those super-smart judges!"), but now I know contestants protest an answer being declared incorrect, it's not the brilliant judges. 

May be a combination of both... (I did think of "careen" as more of just moving uncontrolled along a path, not a sudden move to the side like the clue was going for, so I had no issue with it being ruled incorrect, but after they gave him the credit I looked it up and it says "move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way in a specified direction" and the example was a golf cart careening around a corner, so I was okay with the correction as well.

5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks for that info, @ams1001 (who is having a birthday soon).

🤗🥳

• Love 3
16 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I gasped out loud when no one knew St Louis. Heh, and I so would have answered cheesemakers for the meek question.

It's obviously meant to apply to all those who work with dairy products.

I knew St. Louis because of Meet Me in St. Louis.

And "still active at 50" could be nothing but the alleged sport of golf. Or bowling.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, ABay said:

And "still active at 50" could be nothing but the alleged sport of golf. Or bowling.

Or NASCAR where the oldest regular driver is 76, not counting Hershel McGriff, who completed a race at age 90. And Jockey Mike Smith, age 55, rode in his 26th Kentucky Derby this year. Two years ago he rode Justify to the Triple Crown, becoming the oldest jockey (52) to win the Triple Crown. His nickname is "Big Money Mike," with 2020 earnings of $3,793,736, and lifetime earnings of $331,915,325.

Okay, so I follow horse racing and not that "other" so-called sport.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Interestingly, Phil Mickelson won "only" $800,000 in 2020, an amount which would not even register on this list. But he received $40 million in endorsements, which moved him to No. 25. So yeay to the viewers who knew him from his commercial endorsements!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I was cracking up at Julissa’s answer of “Pope Ginsburg.” 

We had a good chuckle at that. I'm sure she was mortified later.

Since it was Ginsburg, I wondered if it could count as an accidental reference that qualified as the Jeopardy curse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

During breaks in play, a producer will check in with each of the contestants to offer some general words of encouragement and an opportunity to protest a result. These breaks are the only time you're allowed to protest, and the judges will always address the protest before play resumes. This is all specifically discussed in the morning briefing so everyone is on the same page. Same rules for ToC as any regular game. ...You just wouldn't know it from the broadcast because they always phrase it as though the judges had made the decision to revisit the clue entirely on their own.

This is interesting, because presumably there's no break in play after FJ. Personally, I would've challenged last week's Berry/Barry outcome (and I say that as somebody who has known how to spell Berry Gordy's name for at least 20 years). So, for example, I wonder when someone have the chance to do that, or if there are no challenges to FJ. If it's the latter, I think that's BS, because I can recall a few instances when I would've raised a ruckus, or wanted to.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

This is interesting, because presumably there's no break in play after FJ. Personally, I would've challenged last week's Berry/Barry outcome (and I say that as somebody who has known how to spell Berry Gordy's name for at least 20 years). So, for example, I wonder when someone have the chance to do that, or if there are no challenges to FJ. If it's the latter, I think that's BS, because I can recall a few instances when I would've raised a ruckus, or wanted to.

I know they have on occasion brought a player back to play again because they made a wrong ruling, so I'm guessing you can challenge a FJ ruling (though I couldn't find anything specific on it). (But only if the mistake would have affected the outcome of the game had they ruled differently. In Betsy's case, she wouldn't have won, anyway.)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I know they have on occasion brought a player back to play again because they made a wrong ruling, so I'm guessing you can challenge a FJ ruling (though I couldn't find anything specific on it). (But only if the mistake would have affected the outcome of the game had they ruled differently. In Betsy's case, she wouldn't have won, anyway.)

Yes to this. Puppy Abuser Ryan was one brought back, plus I remember a player from the Chicago area coming back too. And while Betsy still wouldn't have won, it would be nice if Trebek could have/would have announced that Barry was, after all, correct just to calm the online fury. But NO! to quote John Belushi.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 7:39 PM, PaulaO said:

The 3 contestants, and especially the woman in the middle, were far too tentative and hesitant.  Have some guts players.  Attack.  I said Tiger Woods for FJ!

So did I.  I thought Phil Mickelson was older.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

I said, "Some golf guy" for FJ.   I don't suppose that would have counted.    And I completely bombed the TV category in the first round.  But I did get Merlin, Supreme Court justice, hatch, deem, and Antwerp.  

I knew about Antwerp's diamond cutting industry from a Dick Francis book, but I've also been watching a Belgian cop/crime show on public television which takes place in Antwerp, so I was shouting it at the tv.  They didn't listen to me, though.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:30 PM, Bastet said:

they got to the classical music category, at which point I only got one of the three revealed clues (baroque, thanks to the pun)

I have a much-loved t-shirt which says "Baroque: When You Are Out of Monet".

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I got FJ by guess.  Seemed to obvious and there were other colonizing countries as well.  Then I was half afraid it would be GB instead.

I go the TS of Kansas, Mojave, The Windsors and Maria Teresa.

I got the entire category of "up" right and the partial category of the Jeffersons.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, illdoc said:

I originally thought "UK", but figured it was too obvious (and therefore wrong) so I went with "FR" (for France). Sigh. And it would have been a * too!

Me too☹️, I did get Kansas and Mojave and some others I don't remember now.

Heh.  I said "RO" as in "Republic Of".  It didn't actually occur to me to think about the colonizers.  

But I did get the TS of Kansas, Mojave, food court sport, and iodine.  And for the Colorado clue, I must have misread -- I thought they were going for the state instead of the college, so I said Colorado as well.

• Love 1