Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got all the Sound of Music clues! Even the Anschluss! (A word I know from The Sound of Music. 😉)

2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m sad no one knew Jackson Browne.

I couldn't come up with the name. I got all the others except System of a Down (too recent for me, apparently).

I also got FJ. Almost missed it because the word "Rome" didn't register when he first read it but then I reread and figured it had to be her.

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got all the Sound of Music clues! Even the Anschluss! (A word I know from The Sound of Music. 😉)

I got them all except that one 😒. I was surprised no one got stratosphere. I got Great Wall. Didn't get any Rock Stars.

I did get FJ.

• Love 1

I got FJ right

I got the TS of rivers, Nobel Prize, Great Wall, Sun and stratosphere.  I got the entire category of middle woman right and the entire category of Rock Stars wrong.  I guess I'm not cool, but this is not news.

30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That was the only one I missed in that category and i was so annoyed because earlier this year I read a book that partly took place in Austria during that time and they used that word a few times, but I couldn't think of it fast enough.  Grr!!!

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m sad no one knew Jackson Browne.

Me, too.  I got him, of course, along with kitchen, parlor, Nobel, and Great Wall.  I also got all the Sound of Music answers right.  

I had to think about FJ for a bit, but finally focused on "Rome" and came up with the right answer.

• Love 2

I got rivers, Nobel, Great Wall, the DD of Jackson and Oxford, the comma I do not use.

Did Sarah say "What is" before her Sirius radio answer? I thought that's why AT was hesitating.

My FJ answer was Anne Sullivan. Because who knew Montessori schools were named after a person. I mean, who besides every poster here except me.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Did Sarah say "What is" before her Sirius radio answer? I thought that's why AT was hesitating.

After the first attempt it sounded like she just answered quizzically “SiriusXM ?”  and they gave it to her as a form of a question.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

According to the closed captioning, she first said "SiriusXM?" and then said "Is it SiriusXM?". It's not the standard format but it was in the form of a question.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

According to the closed captioning, she first said "SiriusXM?" and then said "Is it SiriusXM?". It's not the standard format but it was in the form of a question.

Ah...I didn't hear the "is it" part. That is unusual but it's still a question.

(I don't think she realized why Alex was hesitating at first.)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

That was what I heard (matching the cc). Apparently “is it...” is an acceptable form of question. 

And it seemed like it took them all a while to understand the “room where it happens” category. They apparently couldn’t hear me yelling “the kitchen is the room!”

• LOL 6
34 minutes ago, opus said:

After the first attempt it sounded like she just answered quizzically “SiriusXM ?”  and they gave it to her as a form of a question.

From the posts after this, it looks like I didn’t hear the “Is it”

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ right

I got the entire category of middle woman right and the entire category of Rock Stars wrong.  I guess I'm not cool, but this is not news.

Same here, although I should have known Jackson Browne. I did not realize he was associated with "California Sound." 

I could not figure out what the "Room Where it Happened" category was going for. I thought they would give Dana back the points for "War Room." I was thinking of Dr. Strangelove, where George C, Scott gets in a physical altercation with the Russian and the President shouts, "No fighting! This is the War Room!" But I guess that's not its name, not anymore at least. Its official name is the "John F. Kennedy Conference Room."

Exciting finish! I thought Brian was going to make it a runaway and didn't pay attention to how well Dana was doing.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I could not figure out what the "Room Where it Happened" category was going for. I thought they would give Dana back the points for "War Room." I was thinking of Dr. Strangelove, where George C, Scott gets in a physical altercation with the Russian and the President shouts, "No fighting! This is the War Room!" But I guess that's not its name, not anymore at least. Its official name is the "John F. Kennedy Conference Room.

I’m just now watching The West Wing so “the situation room” was an easy one for me. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

It's been done that way before.

The rules don't say the question has to be in the traditional "who/what/where is" format. (Now I'm waiting for some quirky player to come on and give all their responses with different question-wording just to throw everyone off.)

I vaguely recall once (looong time ago) when the correct response was in itself a question; the player didn't stick a "what is" in front of it but they still accepted it, because it was a question.

• Love 2

Some time in the past someone asked about the lack of "Who is" and someone else said the episodes are edited for time, and some of the "Who is" etc. are deleted.  I don't know whether this is true, and if I had to shorten an episode I would delete something else, but it's a possibility.

7 minutes ago, Driad said:

Some time in the past someone asked about the lack of "Who is" and someone else said the episodes are edited for time, and some of the "Who is" etc. are deleted.  I don't know whether this is true, and if I had to shorten an episode I would delete something else, but it's a possibility.

I've been watching on and off for years and don't think I've ever heard responses truncated this way.  I think they run a pretty tight ship when it comes to the answers/questions and can trim a little fat when it comes to the interview if needed.

I also heard "Sirius XM.  Is it Sirius XM?"  I think Sarah got lucky that her followup happened to be a question, but fair enough.  I think she was getting a little dear-in-the-headlight-y as she fell behind.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I also heard "Sirius XM.  Is it Sirius XM?"  I think Sarah got lucky that her followup happened to be a question, but fair enough. 

Yeah. That's how it went down. She said confidently and not at all as a question "Sirius XM" and then Alex stared at her, waiting, giving her the chance to realize she left out the question. Then she said significantly less confidently "Is it Sirius XM?" and that's when he commented on it not being the usual form but it was a question.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Driad said:

I think more often they just say it quickly and/or it sort of blends into their answer and people watching at home miss it. Maybe the editing cuts it close so it's more likely to be missed? But I doubt they would intentionally cut it out because otherwise people watching would have all kinds of things to say about it.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The rules don't say the question has to be in the traditional "who/what/where is" format. (Now I'm waiting for some quirky player to come on and give all their responses with different question-wording just to throw everyone off.)

How is Elvis?  Are there planets?  When is Christmas?  Why is philosophy? (I actually like that one).  How much are elephants?  

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Who is the Mississippi River?

That's an example they gave us in the contestant briefing, when explaining that the question doesn't have to make sense, as long as it's a question.

Edited to add:  I'm trying to remember.  Has it been all one-day champs since returning from the hiatus?  We haven't had any repeat winners so far, have we?

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wasn't that in the DJ round?  If so, then Alex should have just ruled her wrong instead of hesitating and giving her another chance.

I like the new champ, Dana.

I got the ts's of parlour, Nobel and Andrew Jackson.

As soon as I saw the FJ category I said Maria Montessori. I feel like that makes up for getting skunked last week😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Trey said:

Wasn't that in the DJ round?  If so, then Alex should have just ruled her wrong instead of hesitating and giving her another chance.

I think usually he waits a second to give them a chance to realize and correct themselves but he won't actually remind them like he does in the first round.

• Love 3

I loved the Sound of Music category- way back in the 70s when I was a teenager Mother Grundoon and I did a three week package tour of Europe and we did a couple of one day independent side trips.  From Paris we flew up to Amsterdam to see the Anne Frank house and from Vienna we took the train to Salzburg to see the Sound of Music sites.  I have a picture of me on the Do Re Mi steps.  Every one else on the tour thought we were so brave going on our own but we just wanted to do everything we could.  Such happy memories now.

FJ made total sense as soon as I saw the answer but my brain was going off on wild tangents until then.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Edited to add:  I'm trying to remember.  Has it been all one-day champs since returning from the hiatus?  We haven't had any repeat winners so far, have we?

I think Cory, who started on the first episode, was a two-day winner. Everyone else has been one-day.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2020 at 9:27 AM, Clanstarling said:

Same here. I'm not sure I had even heard of it as a structure in Rome. And it seems an underwhelming building for such flowery praise - but reactions were probably quite different in the Renaissance.

On 9/20/2020 at 1:02 PM, saber5055 said:

And then there's me, who had never heard of it anywhere. Ever.

Referring to the Pantheon - Busch Gardens Williamsburg is building a roller coaster that is called "Pantheon." So I know something about it in that context, but was unaware there was the building in Rome.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Some contestant needs to respond to every clue in the form of unconventional questions. It would drive everyone nuts

Could it be....SATAN SiriusXM?

Has Dana Carvey ever done Celebrity Jeopardy?

tN9vUN.gif

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My dad watches a lot of golf. I find the announcer voices relaxing (especially that one Irish guy). It's good background noise for reading on the couch.

My mother uses it for napping purposes.  I will confess to looking if they're playing at St. Andrews - that's one wild course.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got all the others except System of a Down (too recent for me, apparently).

I've heard OF them, but know nothing about them but the name.  So I got that wrong.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of rivers, Nobel Prize, Great Wall, Sun and stratosphere.

I didn't get rivers but did get the others.  I also got Anschluss but wasn't sure of the pronunciation - I'm going to say I pronounced it correctly, though, lol.

14 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

It's been done that way before.

True, it is acceptable.  I didn't hear the contestant say "Is it", but that's probably down to my tv or my ears.

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

I've heard OF them, but know nothing about them but the name.  So I got that wrong.

I've definitely heard some of their music (my alarm clock is set to a local rock station and I know they play them from time to time) but looking at their song list I couldn't connect a title with what the song sounds like. 

I don't follow recent music much. It has to be pretty ubiquitous in other areas of pop culture for me to be really aware of it.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(Now I'm waiting for some quirky player to come on and give all their responses with different question-wording just to throw everyone off.)

I thought someone did do this, at least for a while. My memory is so vague on it that I have not idea when it was, I just remember how annoying it was at the time.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Yay! I got Final Jeopardy...partly because the other day I was watching some videos of a pianist playing classical music for elephants in a sanctuary in Thailand!

Surprisingly I got it too. Only because I knew there were elephants there, I kept going India? Thailand? India? Thailand? until I was running out of time and wrote down Thailand. Really didn't think I would get it based on the category and only guessed based on the elephant.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Surprisingly I got it too. Only because I knew there were elephants there, I kept going India? Thailand? India? Thailand? until I was running out of time and wrote down Thailand. Really didn't think I would get it based on the category and only guessed based on the elephant.

I felt like India was too obvious.

• Love 3

For FJ I immediately said Thailand, then I said, maybe it's Inida.  NO!  Thailand, Final answer.  So I got FJ.

I got the TS of burned at the stake, Vandals, and Fulton. 

I got the entire category of Country Clubs right and the entire category of fight wrong.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I felt like India was too obvious.

Same.  It was the first thing that came to mind, but I didn't think it could be right.  I came up with Thailand just before time ran out.  Which is better than I did trying to come up with Henry Miller -- I knew that one, but his name just would not come to me.  I did manage to get starch and Fulton, though.

Good game tonight -- not too many TS, but I did want Rashima to pick up the pace a little.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Same.  It was the first thing that came to mind, but I didn't think it could be right.  I came up with Thailand just before time ran out.  Which is better than I did trying to come up with Henry Miller -- I knew that one, but his name just would not come to me.  I did manage to get starch and Fulton, though.

Good game tonight -- not too many TS, but I did want Rashima to pick up the pace a little.

I got Henry Miller because of a Jewel song. 😄

OMG, yes, I was thinking "they won't get through half the board at that rate!"

• Love 1

I got Final Jeopardy because of The King and I!  I remember Anna taking down a letter from the King, a letter to President Lincoln, offering "pairs of male elephants to be released into the forests of America. There it is hoped that they will grow in number and the people can tame them and use them as beasts of burden."  Anna then questions the choice of pairs of "male" elephants.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I am right there with you j5cochran owing FJ to musical theater knowledge - so happy when it comes in handy (if I could I would whistle a happy tune).

But what really made me glad tonight was that Gordie Howe was not a TS and to learn that he was Alex's hero.  Growing up in Detroit with that last name, I have spent a lot of time saying nope, no relation but I will admit to feeling a certain kinship with him (heck my Howe relatives did come from Canada but at the other end to the country from Gordie so you never know).  

• Love 6

I agree with Andy at TheJeopardyFan that this FJ was the worst. It had two correct answers, something that NEVER should happen on this show. Are the writers asleep or too dense to know how to use a search engine? Answer: yes. Go to TJF to read the entire discussion, but here's the short take:

“What is India?” should have also been accepted, as a book with the same title also deals with US-India relations." The Eagle & The Elephant is also a Raymond E. Vickery, Jr. book about the cooperation between the United States and India. Vickery, a former member of the Virginia House of Delegates, also served as a former US Assistant Secretary of Commerce, Trade Development under Clinton. Reviews of the book consider it to be very important for understanding how to do business in (or with) India.

IMO Tyler's answer was correct; therefore, today was not an asterisk. End of story.

The season really bites so far.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I thought someone did do this, at least for a while. My memory is so vague on it that I have not idea when it was, I just remember how annoying it was at the time.

Yes! I don't remember her name but she was so annoying. Every 'question' started with "Umm is it..." with the ending in upspeak.

17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I agree with Andy at TheJeopardyFan that this FJ was the worst. It had two correct answers, something that NEVER should happen on this show. Are the writers asleep or too dense to know how to use a search engine? Answer: yes. Go to TJF to read the entire discussion, but here's the short take:

“What is India?” should have also been accepted, as a book with the same title also deals with US-India relations." The Eagle & The Elephant is also a Raymond E. Vickery, Jr. book about the cooperation between the United States and India. Vickery, a former member of the Virginia House of Delegates, also served as a former US Assistant Secretary of Commerce, Trade Development under Clinton. Reviews of the book consider it to be very important for understanding how to do business in (or with) India.

IMO Tyler's answer was correct; therefore, today was not an asterisk. End of story.

The season really bites so far.

Sooooo if I said India do I get the credit? 😛 While I do agree that it was a terrible question since there are two books - and AT actually mentioned they expected someone to guess India so it's not like they didn't think about it - the 1833 part of the clue makes India wrong. The subtitle of the Thai book is "Thai-American relations since 1833".

• Love 3
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

I got Final Jeopardy because of The King and I!  I remember Anna taking down a letter from the King, a letter to President Lincoln, offering "pairs of male elephants to be released into the forests of America. There it is hoped that they will grow in number and the people can tame them and use them as beasts of burden."  Anna then questions the choice of pairs of "male" elephants.

That’s how I got it! 

• Love 1