Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 10/2/2020 at 5:00 PM, Browncoat said:

Well, rats.  I went to Great Britain instead of Italy, and came up with nothing.  And it seems so easy in hindsight!  Boo, hiss.

I started out in Great Britain, but then I toddled off to Italy just in time.

Did anyone else find Alex's statement hilarious when he said something along the lines of "hey, looks like you're funny after all, who'd have thought"  (I forget exactly how it goes). The mister and I started spouting other "compliments" along the same lines. It was quite the left handed (sorry lefties) compliment. And...kinda rude. But that's on brand for Alex, however much I like him.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wasn't sure about matron being accepted instead of matriarchy. I also thought Jason said "third on a match," instead of three on a match.

I  didn't really think matron was the same thing as matriarchy but I was okay that they accepted it.

"Third on a match" is acceptable; it was Philip who said something like "three on a light", the right idea but still wrong.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wasn't sure about matron being accepted instead of matriarchy. I also thought Jason said "third on a match," instead of three on a match.

I  didn't really think matron was the same thing as matriarchy but I was okay that they accepted it.

The clue was " A community's female leader". They were looking for matriarch, not matriarchy. Merriam-Webster lists matron as a synonym for matriarch.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Y’all have me laughing. I got Lindbergh, Alaska, Acapulco, Dale Carnegie, Eugene Onegin for TS’s. Did anyone else feel that Flight of the Bumblebee was a bit too easy for a DD? I got FJ after a string of losses all week. 

• Love 2

Thank you!! Now that I know what it means, I can recall many times I have the answer and they don’t. And I gloat in my head about it! Glad to know there’s a name for it 😁

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 6
On ‎09‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 4:29 PM, illdoc said:

Everyone, sing with me!:

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy…

Oh great, I only just got that out of my head, lol.

On ‎09‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:06 PM, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ immediately!   Heh I thought I knew it from Assassins but it’s FDR the show has a song about.  I just know my attempted assassination history. 

No one knew George Takei?! So wrong. 

I knew it because I'd read a book about Teddy's trip down a tributary of the Amazon a couple of years later; it talked about that speech.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Probably didn't hurt that I just finished a novel called "Miss Iceland", wherein the characters chatted a lot about some of the Icelandic sagas.

In college, I took a class called "Women in Medieval Literature", and we read the Laxdaela Saga.  So FJ was also an instaget for me.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 1:32 AM, Bastet said:

Artificial heart, tempo, and Les Paul surprised me as TS.

I was shouting "Les Paul" at the contestants, but apparently they could not hear me.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 9:04 PM, Bastet said:

All except for Somalia

For some idiotic reason, I said "Sudan" for that one, even as I was thinking of Black Hawk Down.  At least it starts with 's'?

The GM, Dale Carnegie, and Standard and Poor's TS surprised me.

I had no clue on Standard & Poor - financial stuff is not my category.  The others did surprise me, though.

Pippa didn't need a last name?  She's not Cher.

I questioned that, too.  (Pippa Carson?)

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 11:58 AM, Cotypubby said:

A building from the 1100s that is famous for an architectural mistake, WECIB?

That was a $200 level clue. 

The clue did not mention it being a building:

"Begun in the 1170s on former marshland, it has been called a "perfect imperfection" & a "legendary mistake""

I spent the time eliminating cities built on former marshland which might've only been started in the 12th century.  ("Venice?  No, older than that.  Amsterdam?  No, probably older than that?  St. Petersburg?  Maybe, what the hell.")  Never dawned on me that it was a single building; that would've helped tremendously, but that's on me for not getting it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

-I'm surprised only one person got FJ correct.  I thought it all screamed TR.   

Since Covid my family has played a daily text game like 20 questions via text.  A different person each day picks a person/thing/event and then everybody else asks yes/no questions until it is guessed.  This assassination attempt was my pick one day.   It was an instant get for me.  My mom did not get it and I was like, "If you payed more attention to the puzzle!"   Heh.   

Saga was the first thing I thought of when it said epic and then Scandinavian names.  So pretty confident with that. 
Pisa was easa.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

FJ was one of those I feel like I should have gotten, but did not.  Alas.  Off to a great start this week!  NOT!

I did, however, get the TS of Madagascar, bear, pacemaker, JFK, Cicero, and Julie Walters.  Cicero was a lucky guess -- he was the only orator I could think of.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The clue did not mention it being a building:

"Begun in the 1170s on former marshland, it has been called a "perfect imperfection" & a "legendary mistake""

If only the clue had mentioned it was a tower: "Begun in the 1170s on former marshland, this tower has been called a "perfect imperfection" & a "legendary mistake."

I've never heard of Julie Walters. Until today.

I smiled when one of the players said Silvia Plath for the suicide person since this show always uses Silvia Plath for answers. Until today, first time ever. Must have some new writers this season.

@bybrandy, your text game sounds like very much fun. Lucky you!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I've never heard of Julie Walters. Until today.

I smiled when one of the players said Silvia Plath for the suicide person since this show always uses Silvia Plath for answers. Until today, first time ever. Must have some new writers this season.

Molly Weasley did it for me.

I said Plath ☹️

• Love 2
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

sad no one knew Julie Walters.

Closest I could come there, Mamma Mia-wise, was “Umm, the one who isn’t Meryl Streep or Christine Baranski”

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

@bybrandy, your text game sounds like very much fun. Lucky you!

I agree 100%

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I said Plath ☹️

Me too 

9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew it because I'd read a book about Teddy's trip down a tributary of the Amazon a couple of years later; it talked about that speech.

I was recently was given that book, but it’s in my get to pile...darn. 
I got Reagan National, and FJ because I remember Will Smith played him in a movie (which I didn’t see). 

• Love 2

I got Virginia Woolf primarily from a play I saw Maggie Smith do eons ago in Stratford Ontario.  Julie Walters has been one of my favorite actresses since Educating Rita (from probably around the same time) .  I think she's been good in everything I have ever seen her in - mostly recently a documentary series about coastal railroads in Britain on Acorn.  

FJ kinda just popped into my head as I was running Will Smith roles through the old rolodex of memory - I don't think I've seen much of the movie but it clicked that he had played Ali and the time frame for the funeral seemed right.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was also surprised 2 missed FJ.  I got it as soon as I remembered which boxer Will Smith played in a movie. 

Yup. When I thought it could be Ali, I questioned myself because I thought he'd died longer ago than that. But remembering that Will Smith played in the the movie, I figured it had to be Ali.

I got Madagascar (the big island off Africa), Virginia Woolf, and Reagan National. I recognized Julie Walters but just couldn't remember her name.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, opus said:

Closest I could come there, Mamma Mia-wise, was “Umm, the one who isn’t Meryl Streep or Christine Baranski”

Not too long ago, I was watching Mamma Mia on TV - probably have seen it more than ten times at this point, just because it's decent to have on in the background as I am doing other things. And after all of those times, I had the revelation that Julie Walters was in it. I hadn't even recognized her the first ten+ times I watched the movie, because the Julie Walters work I am most familiar with is her portrayal of Molly Weasley and the characters look quite different.

Needless to say, I did get Julie Walters tonight. Wish I could say the same for FJ.

• Love 3

I was aghast that Julie Walter was a triple stumper.  I've seen her in several things and think she's fantastic!  Then it came to my attention that her name is Walters, with an "s."  I certainly don't confuse the ladies themselves, but I think maybe I've gotten her name tangled up in my mind with Jessica Walter's.  And that's why it doesn't pay to be a smartypants, even just inside your own mind. 😉

• Love 1

I kept fishing for a last name for "Rita" until I realized Rita was a character she played. I also saw that railway travelogue om Acorn and STILL couldn't pull her name out of the back of my brain.  I thought FJ was rather easy if you knew Lennox Lewis is a boxer.

It's lovely playing with cats in the room - when you shout out the answer with complete confidence and turn out to be wrong, they don't roll their eyes at you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Molly Weasley did it for me.

I said Plath ☹️

I was going "I know her, I know her...who the heck is she..." then Educating Rita got me there. I didn't even listen to the rest of it. But to be fair, even though I've seen all the HP films, I never associate her with them, even though Molly is one of my favorite characters. I guess she just inhabits that role so well I don't see the actress herself.

If we'd known that the second guy in the FJ clue was a boxer , we would have gotten there. But we didn't, so no FJ win for Monday. (not the royal 
"we" - the mister and I struggled with it.)😞

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

Not a great game for me, only three ts's: bear, JFK, and Cicero.

For FJ, I know Lennox Lewis was a boxer - he won an Olympic gold medal for Canada in Seoul, and I remember seeing that he was a pall bearer for someone a few years ago (the odd things that stick in your mind!), but I just didn't get to Muhammad Ali from there. Will Smith meant nothing to me since I've never seen the movie and didn't know he played Ali.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Got the TSs of Madagascar, Levites and Julie Walters. Did not get FJ, oh well.

I said Pharisees instead of Levites (that was my answer for another Bible question, too, and still wrong) but got the rest.  I also got Cicero and pacemaker, but pretty much whiffed the airport category.  I got Heathrow, but none of the others, even though I should've known De Gaulle.

15 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was surprised no one knew Virginia Woolf

I know very little about Virginia Woolf, including her husband's name, so I had no clue.

12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Julie Walters has been one of my favorite actresses since Educating Rita (from probably around the same time) .  I think she's been good in everything I have ever seen her in - mostly recently a documentary series about coastal railroads in Britain on Acorn.  

Mine, too.  Didn't know about the railroad thing, though.

I knew FJ because I knew that Lennox Lewis is a boxer, and that Will Smith played Ali in a biopic.  Got an Oscar nomination for it, I think.

When two out of three missed the FJ I knew I had to revise my opinion that it was ridiculously easy. Muhammad Ali came to me immediately though. I never saw the movie, but the Oscar buzz around Will Smith at the time was inescapable.

I amused myself by answering Penguins of the Seychelles. And I was kicking myself trying to pull Julie Walters's name from the recesses of my brain; I was clearly in good company.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Heh, I wonder if they would have accepted just National Airport because that’s what we call it here in DC. 

If I was on the show, I'd probably force myself to spit out Reagan, but here at home it's still just good ol' National.

I just went to "play" via the archive (I was watching football last night), but it's still being filled in.  Among what's there, the Wyatt Earp TS really surprised me (especially with Doc Holliday ruled out)!  Touch base was surprising, too.

I looked up FJ elsewhere, and it was an IG.

• Love 2

I'm happy if I get a lot of categories even if I don't get the final. I did pretty well. The NBA is on again so I hope the show records after.  There tends to a lot of blather after games.

• Love 1

Gah, I sucked tonight. Only 46% overall (J=46% and DJ=43%), and that's with FJ but I only got it after Alex gave that clue after the think music ended. (I should have gotten it, but...refer to first sentence.)

The only baseball question I got was the one that wasn't really about baseball (plus I got "touch base" in the corporate lingo category.)

6 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Umm...I'm going to go stand over in the corner. I said "Albania", because I could think of no other country.

I’ll go stand in Argentina.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, opus said:

I'll be joining you there, it is what I wrote down, I was debating if Antarctica was a country or a continent but I guess I should have been debating about Australia.

• Love 4

I got FJ.  I was afraid it was too easy, so kept going over large countires, and i'm like no, nothing bigger that fits the clue.

I got the TS of Mount Logan, sharia, and messenger.

I got the entire partial category of vowels right and he eniere category of corporate lingo wrong.

Didn't have a particularly good night, but thanks to FJ ended up in the black.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, opus said:

10 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I'll be joining you there, it is what I wrote down, I was debating if Antarctica was a country or a continent but I guess I should have been debating about Australia.

I'll join you both because I originally said Argentina, until Alex said it was a continent, and then I was like, "duh.."

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget for me tonight -- and like @Katy M, thought it was too obvious, but couldn't think of anything else, so I stuck with it.  Argentina didn't occur to me!  If it had, I might have switched.

Claire-Marie's vocal fry was killing me.  Not sad that the champ repeated. 

I only managed three TS tonight -- Wyatt Earp, sharia, and messenger.

• Love 3

Like Browncoat and Katy M, my brain went straight to Australia but then started second guessing itself like crazy including doubting if A was the correct letter.  But I stuck with my first instinct and said Australia as my final answer (oops - wrong show).

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

started second guessing itself like crazy including doubting if A was the correct letter. 

Hunh, I never doubted it was A, don't really know why. I do remember having the passing thought of a game that I played a few times long ago where you are supposed to name a country that starts with the letter of the last country named and how you can get caught in a loop of A-a countries.

• Love 2