Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got Henry Miller because of a Jewel song. 😄

Me too.  And I got reincarnation because of "The List" episode of The X-Files (but that one I think I'd have come up with even if not for Neech Manley).

I'm surprised no one at least guessed burned at the stake, and Vandals and starch as TS surprised me a bit, too.

I instantly said Thailand for FJ and didn't even consider anything else.  When the middle contestant guessed India and Alex said they figured someone would go there, I thought, "Oh, yeah."

I had a great game.  Not my elusive perfect game, but a great one.  I loved the music festivals category, and answered all of those just based the first halves of the clues.  I missed two in the fighters category (a boxer and a UFC fighter; not my sports!), but otherwise ran the first round, and only missed  Sugar Daddies in DJ (never heard of it as a candy).

• Love 1

I got Henry Miller because of a Jewel song.

I got Henry Miller because of the movie 'Henry and June.'

Football last night caused me to watch two Jeopardies tonight.

From Monday night's show I got rivers, kitchen, Nobel, Great Wall, and Jackson Brown. I was just about to give up on FJ when I decided to stop thinking of Psych figures and concentrate on educators (like the category, duh). Italian... Montessori!

From tonight's show I got burned, Vandals, Gershwin (which needed a BMS), the DJ of Fulton, and Henry Miller.

I said India for FJ. I felt bad for Reshima esp since she hadn't done so well in the rest of the game, mainly because (I believe) she was too slow to buzz in.

I didn't get System of a Down. Every time I hear the name I flash back to over 20 years ago when a commercial promoting one of their concerts played regularly. The commercial looked so amateurish that I didn't think they'd be anything lasting. 

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

... and only missed  Sugar Daddies in DJ (never heard of it as a candy).

I've seen that candy. It's on a stick. I don't care for it, but I LOVE Sugar Babies.

• Love 4
On 9/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, chitowngirl said:

I’m sad no one knew Jackson Browne.

Me too, but to be fair, he was young enough in that picture to give me a moment's pause.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:29 PM, ams1001 said:

I got all the Sound of Music clues! Even the Anschluss! (A word I know from The Sound of Music. 😉)

My mother, a native Salzburger, would have spun in her grave if I didn't ace that category. Mom made us watch the movie SO many times, and always added a running commentary. 😆 I was an adult before I willingly watched it on my own again. Now it's my comfort film to see the place I love the most. I almost missed Anschluss because I couldn't parse the question at first. But I got it.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, j5cochran said:

According to the closed captioning, she first said "SiriusXM?" and then said "Is it SiriusXM?". It's not the standard format but it was in the form of a question.

I heard it, but the Mister didn't. So we rewound and then he heard it. She said it very fast.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I felt like India was too obvious.

Well, that was us. Mr. and Mrs. Obvious.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I agree with Andy at TheJeopardyFan that this FJ was the worst. It had two correct answers, something that NEVER should happen on this show. Are the writers asleep or too dense to know how to use a search engine? Answer: yes. Go to TJF to read the entire discussion, but here's the short take:

“What is India?” should have also been accepted, as a book with the same title also deals with US-India relations." The Eagle & The Elephant is also a Raymond E. Vickery, Jr. book about the cooperation between the United States and India. Vickery, a former member of the Virginia House of Delegates, also served as a former US Assistant Secretary of Commerce, Trade Development under Clinton. Reviews of the book consider it to be very important for understanding how to do business in (or with) India.

IMO Tyler's answer was correct; therefore, today was not an asterisk. End of story.

The season really bites so far.

So...it'll be acceptable in the contest? 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

My ts's were starch, burned at the stake, Vandals (a ts that really surprised me) and Fulton.

For FJ, I was thinking elephant meant a large country so I said China.  I know elephants are important to Thailand but I didn't know Thailand was important to the US.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

For FJ, I was thinking elephant meant a large country so I said China.  

That's where my mind went first. Then I pictured a map, saw India, and chose that. If I'd scanned to the east I might I seen Thailand, though honestly I probably wouldn't have chosen it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So...it'll be acceptable in the contest? 😉

Yes. India is accepted as an answer in the FJ Contest.

Note also that The Eagle & The Elephant is the name of a far right-wing hate group that google has blocked, but other search engines will find. I'll bet its members are glowing over the publicity Jeopardy gave it yesterday.

As I said before, Jeopardy writers are ... fill in the blank ... so far this season.

• Love 1

I didn't get to see the end of the game last night.  My local affiliate started to show Final Jeopardy, but suddenly cut to a commercial for the local news just as Alex was reading the clue.

After a couple more commercials, the show came back and started to show Final Jeopardy again.  This time it got as far as revealing the first contestant response, "What is Th-- ?"  Then it suddenly cut to THE VERY SAME commercial for the local news, and then there was nothing but commercials until the prime time lineup started.

So, who won?

What does it say about me that I never watched a single one of the shows in the TV category (other than one or two partial episodes of Scandal) but I got all but one of them right (I knew Paul Giamatti was in Billions, but the title didn't come to me)?

Gah, I hate it when they save good categories for last and run out of time. I got both Jonathan Swift clues that they got to, at least.

FJ...too easy. 😉 (Little Women was the last movie I saw in the theater, in January...) 

I love Robert's Lego bow tie. Glad he won. (Whenever there are two women and one man, or vice versa, if I don't have strong feelings about any particular player, I always root for the odd one out. I liked the returning champ well enough but I didn't feel strongly about wanting to see her continue, nor did anyone bug me.)

It took me an embarrassingly long time to get FJ, but I got it.

I got the TS of dulcimer, Rockies, cheese, censure, and Netherlands.

I got the entire category of USA rght and the partial ategory of Swifties.

I missed two clues (one of which would have given me the entire Politics category) because I was silly.  I said Gary Trudeau (I don't know why) and the 7 Days War.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ tonight.  I didn't even second-guess myself for once.  I was surprised it was a "woman author", since the category was just American Authors!  I like the new champ.  Did he mean his tie was Lego?  That's a little bit awesome.

Too many TS tonight!  I got dulcimer, clavichord, Rockies, cheese (c'mon, they said Wisconsin!  Gotta be cheese!), censure, conjunction, Netherlands, methane, and radon.  I have a dulcimer hanging on my wall (the strummed kind, not the hammered kind).  

• Love 3

For a second night in a row, musical theater knowledge to the rescue - I got ocarina from a song in Call Me Madam.

FJ seemed so obvious that I started second guessing myself but I couldn't move on from Little Women being the book.  I was glad they all got it right.

• Love 2

What does it say about me that I never watched a single one of the shows in the TV category (other than one or two partial episodes of Scandal) but I got all but one of them right (I knew Paul Giamatti was in Billions, but the title didn't come to me)?

I was off to a good start, getting the first two even though I've never seen them, but I bombed the rest.  And I missed all but one in the musical instruments category, so I did not have a good first round.  I did better in DJ and FJ was an instaget, so not a bad game, but disappointing after my performance last night.

Add me to those happy the answer in an "American Authors" category was a woman.  Please keep it up, writers.

I can't believe cheese was a TS.  No one even guessing the Rockies was also surprising.  Censure and conjunction a bit, too.  They had a lot of TS tonight - it seemed like nearly a dozen.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Gershwin didn't need a BMS because Ira was lyrics only; George wrote the music.

I still think it needed a BMS because not everyone knows who wrote what and may have thought Ira wrote An American in Paris.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I have a dulcimer hanging on my wall   

Sweet!

In addition to Alcott, which was way too easy, I got GLOW (good show), The Rockies, cheese, censure, The Netherlands, methane, and radon.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've seen two of them, but got the rest of them right. It's by osmosis, I think.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to get FJ, but I got it.

I would have gotten it sooner, but Laura Ingalls Wilder shoved Louisa May Alcott aside and Louisa barely won the battle in time for me to answer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

43 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Something is bugging me about this season, but I haven’t figured it out yet. 

The new set? The lack of an audience? Caliber of the contestants? (no offence, Californians) It does seem different somehow but I don't know what it is either.  I am so glad to have the show back that I'm not too critical.

Alex likes the new layout and I do too. 

Lots of ts's and I got some of them: clavichord, Rockies, cheese, The Netherlands, and the two DDs of dulcimer and methane.

For FJ I briefly thought of the Bronte sisters until I remembered the category was American Authors and got Louisa May Alcott right away.  Another case where having the category on the screen would really have helped.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Something is bugging me about this season, but I haven’t figured it out yet. 

There is a new executive producer.  Harry Friedman, who had been the executive producer since 1999, retired at the end of last season.  He was succeeded by Mike Richards.  I don't know how much of a difference that will make, but apart from the redesigned set, that's the biggest change that's been made.  Something like that might give the show a slightly different "feel." 

I kind of like the new set as well.

• Love 4

I feel the new set is just fine, I'm good with contestants not being jammed together. Plus at certain times I can see the risers they are using, so that's fun. And it's not often we get a group shot of all three players, we still see them one at a time, so them being further apart is no big deal.

We're not suppose to see the audience (except during breaks when the camera MIGHT pan over it) and def aren't suppose to hear them. So audience not being there ... I can't tell the difference.

The difference I see is in the quality of the clues, especially those two totally crap FJs in less than two weeks of play. We've had not-so-good players in past seasons, but never FJs that were not researched and thoroughly vetted before getting on the show. I mean, try using a search engine, people. That's if there are any people back there verifying clues at all this season.

• Love 5

I think I also see a tentativeness in the contestants. I mean, these people are basically guinea pigs in terms of starting things back up in the age of COVID. Obviously there are good protocols in place, but being/going to be on television is a surreal experience enough, let alone during a continuing pandemic. I'm sure things will improve as time goes on, but these are strange days, to put it mildly...

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

I think I also see a tentativeness in the contestants. I mean, these people are basically guinea pigs in terms of starting things back up in the age of COVID. Obviously there are good protocols in place, but being/going to be on television is a surreal experience enough, let alone during a continuing pandemic. I'm sure things will improve as time goes on, but these are strange days, to put it mildly...

And from California. So add in wildfires.

• Love 6

I was very proud of myself for getting Fleet Admiral, don't know why that one in particular but I dredged it up from somewhere. Also got Victoria dying on the Isle of Wight. And I got FJ! I'll not say anything else for fear of jinxing myself.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

You would see some real dumbassery if the contestant bank was confined to northern Illinois and I got on the show.

I'm from northern Illinois too! 👋

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

And I got FJ!

Me, too! (And I was confident enough to write this comment before they revealed the correct response. 🙂 )

Very annoyed I only got 4/5 on the book category (Corrections didn't come to me in time). I got all the "I Played Her In the Movie" clues, though.

• Love 3

"I Played Her in the Movie" -- the only one I got was Streep.  I'm too old for those other young ladies. LOL.

I'm very disappointed nobody knew WZ's "Lawyers Guns And Money" (Zevon was not known for using commas and he capitalized every word in his song titles.) And how funny is it that FJ references LGM (Little Green Men) when Zevoneers believe it means Lawyers Guns Money. LOL.

Blew FJ, though, saying quasar.

• Love 7

I'm on a roll!  Another instaget FJ for me.  And now that I've said that, I'll probably not have a clue for tomorrow's, um, clue.  

I was surprised they missed Auburn -- I don't really follow college football, and I got that one.  Advent was also a surprising TS, as Advent calendars are ubiquitous, at least in these parts.  I also got egotist and lawyers, and was disappointed that no one knew lawyers.  I guess the song was before their time...

I'll miss Robert's ties.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I want Robert to keep winning just for his fun Lego bowties.

Same here. I didn't get to see yesterday's show but was thoroughly charmed by his today bow tie. I was bummed when he did not win. For a moment during FJ, I had hope.

We have three players for the Jeopardy! Northern Illinois Edition! Woot!

I was chasing barking dogs and loose horses during the middle of today's show. Was "Fleet Admiral" a racehorse question/clue? Is so, I got it without even seeing that part of the show!

12 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

It hurts my soul that my alma mater was a TS.

Whereas my head would explode if even one player would be able to guess my alma mater.

Edited by saber5055
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm very disappointed nobody knew WZ's "Lawyers Guns And Money" (Zevon was not known for using commas and he capitalized every word in his song titles.) And how funny is it that FJ references LGM (Little Green Men) when Zevoneers believe it means Lawyers Guns Money. LOL.

Again a FJ with two answers! WZ was pretty "out there" in the cosmos, all while being an excitable boy.

(Excuse me ... my ride's here.)

• Love 2

Regarding whether the feel of the show is different--some interesting thoughts here, if you can stand another rehash of Barrygate.  I myself have been finding many of the clues either too hard or too easy. I did not think Medusa should have been the highest value clue in the Fangs category, but then I'm a big myth buff. No clue tonight on FJ; I guessed Nova.

Was "Fleet Admiral" a racehorse question/clue?

It was about Chester Nimitz.

I thought Robert would have a longer run, but I like Sameer. He reminds me of the most famous Gandhi! I liked his story about chasing the road runner.

• Love 3

I didn't keep score or write down my TS, but I know I didn't get FJ.  I said supernova which I was pretty sure was wrong, but space isn't my thing.  And I also know that I got advent and Queen Victoria.

Am I the only one that thought the champ's tie thing looked kind of like a swastika?

• Love 1

I was surprised they missed Auburn -- I don't really follow college football, and I got that one.

When that was a TS, I figured none of them watch college football and thus wasn't surprised.  Do you live in the area and hear about it that way?  Being on the west coast, I doubt I'd have ever heard of it if not for being a football fan.

The garrison and advent TS surprised me a bit (I heard about an advent calendar for the first time a few years ago, and remember asking what it was, but did not retain that information so that last one stumped me as well). 

I had a horrible first round; I only knew one of the actors (Robin Wright) and missed at least one in every other category.  I wasn't a whole lot better in DJ; I didn't blow any of those categories, but I didn't run a single one, either.  I got FJ, but overall I shouldn't have taken a break from the football game to play. 

I did enjoy being reminded of my favorite episode of The X-Files, though - the chupacabra clue made me hear Scully in my head, snapping "It's not that Mexican goat-sucker, either" as she did in "Bad Blood".

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I was very proud of myself for getting Fleet Admiral, don't know why that one in particular but I dredged it up from somewhere.

Fleet popped into my head somehow from somewhere.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ohhhhh. I visit the site Lawyers, Guns, & Money -- a political and cultural blog -- and had no idea it was referencing a song.

I was surprised they missed Auburn -- I don't really follow college football, and I got that one.  

I worked in Huntsville, Alabama, for a few years, and that was my introduction to the Alabama/Auburn rivalry.

Advent was also a surprising TS, as Advent calendars are ubiquitous, at least in these parts.

I have an Advent calendar, but I missed this clue. I was trying to think of an "A" word and came up with Ascension, though I was sure that was wrong.

So I got Auburn, Fleet Admiral, Queen Victoria, and Henry Moore, who I thought was American, but the sculpture was undeniably his.

I also got pulsar. It just came to me. I'm very weak in astronomy, but the wording of the clue led me there.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I thought that Final Jeopardy was neutron star.  I looked up pulsar on Wikipedia, and it's a form of a neutron star. I wonder if they would count that as correct.

Pulsars are neutron stars that rotate and emit pulses of radiation at regular intervals. Not all neutron stars are pulsars. But the way Jeopardy has been going this year, who knows what they might count as correct.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I did enjoy being reminded of my favorite episode of The X-Files, though - the chupacabra clue made me hear Scully in my head, snapping "It's not that Mexican goat-sucker, either" as she did in "Bad Blood".

I learned abotu chupacabras from the X-Files. For some reason it has always stuck with me.

I was dismayed at the FJ category, not my strong suit. Then I had a think and worked it out. Not sure how it happened, but I'll take it. 🙂

• Love 4
On 9/23/2020 at 7:01 PM, Katy M said:

I missed two clues (one of which would have given me the entire Politics category) because I was silly.  I said Gary Trudeau (I don't know why) and the 7 Days War.

Why the self-deprecation in this sentence?