Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Interesting to hear from all the religious and non-religious folks here who knew FJ.

Or who did not know FJ.

8 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I'm not liking the rapid turn over of contestants so far.

Well, buck up because yesterday's champ broke the two-days-and-you're-out curse by winning a third day. Stay tuned to see if he makes it four.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

i loved the Wordsworth category! 

Turdsworth. 😄

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

*I almost don't want to admit it, but "What's a cubit?" was in my head in Bill Cosby's voice.  I hate that he turned out to be a heinous criminal.  "Noah" was comedy gold.

When I was growing up, our family used to listen together to his records over and over. Yes, 'Noah' was gold. 

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Curry as a "mouth-cooling" dish.  Okey-dokey.

Or how about Lincoln running in 1876? Oy.

I got ore, cubit, Barcelona, and Bed, Bath and Beyond, which always makes me think of Buzz Lightyear.

FJ was an IG for me, and I was surprised none of the contestants got it. I thought Abraham and Isaac was one of those Bible stories everyone knows, like Adam and Eve.

When Sheldon was talking about his wife, he said, "She's 15 years older than I am, and also the smartest woman I know." Alex responded, "You saved yourself on that one." I'm not sure he did, but I get Alex's point.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

They got me with mitochondrial RNA just like the champ. I knew Unforgiven though. My father loves that movie.

I think I've gone my whole life without seeing an actual picture of Edmund Hillary, and that was my mistake.

I somehow pulled messenger out of my brain, but I don't know how it was there in the first place, and I knew Unforgiven, but couldn't come up with it.

I've seen pictures of Edmund Hillary because I read about the history of mountaineering even if I'd never want to do it myself; yes, he was a very handsome man, and a truly good one, too.

18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I felt bad for Alex that no one knew the highest mountain in Canada. (I didn't know it either.)

I didn't either, even with my reading as mentioned above.  I guess not enough people died trying to climb it.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got the TS of Goldwater, ore, Geneva, cubit, Hayes, French Revolution, Barcelona, and the Netherlands.

I got the entire category of history right.

FJ was an instaget for me too, which is kind of strange, given my having dumped religion and church-going when I was 10.  Must've seen paintings of Abraham and Isaac in one of my many art history classes.

I got ore, Geneva, French Revolution, Barcelona and the Netherlands, and shocked the hell out of myself by getting Hayes, which was just me shouting the name of a random 19th century president.  Although somehow I did remember that he lost the popular vote and only became president because of the Electoral College.

I also got Bed, Bath and Beyond - a friend and I have a running joke about wanting the "beyond".

17 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

i loved the Wordsworth category! I’m taking an Great Courses class on the Romantic poets and I’m in the Wordsworth section now. Ran the category!  Aw, no one knew Sandman.

I loved the category, and ran it, even though I'm not particularly fond of his poetry.  I knew Sandman because my roommate for my semester in London was a huge Neil Gaiman fan.

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also knew Geneva, Margaret Bourke White (that Life cover is uber famous) and LifeLock.

I just knew WAT-son had to be somewhere in that category, either Bell's or Jennings'.

Turdsworth made me laugh. Who knew dudes were so funny back then. It's like Sean Connery was playing Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL.

I got LifeLock, but missed Bourke White.  I said Dorothea Dix instead.

I agree about Turdsworth, as a joke, not so much as a criticism.  Although I do find Wordsworth overly sentimental and prefer Byron.  (Neither is a patch on Marvell or Donne, however.)

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Curry as a "mouth-cooling" dish.  Okey-dokey.

I have yet to encounter that particular kind of curry, lol.  I should've known raita, but couldn't come up with it.

9 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I'm a medieval history nerd, so I got Wat Tyler right away, but I definitely did a double take at how obscure it was. I doubt many history classes in the US cover the 1381 Peasants' Revolt under Richard II, so I'm not surprised it was a TS.

Yeah, I knew him because Medieval and Renaissance Studies was my major in college, as well as a personal interest, but the Peasants' Revolt is a pretty deep cut.

I ran the Animated Films category despite not really being a fan of animation.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Did you get Marian, then?

Of course!

Abraham, too. Not a church-goer but that story has to have shown up in The Ten Commandments or some film of that like.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I was surprised that Abraham was a TS. 

I would actually be fine with Ken as host. He's getting more relaxed as a presenter, he's smart, and he's a very self-deprecating guy. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see doing it, either. 

I think they should hire me to do it.  But, if not, Ken's a good second choice.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Did pretty well in the Beer, Bond and Doctor categories, missed one in each. Got the TSs of Little Boy Blue, plate and for some reason Kohinoor, I do not know where I dredged that out of, not something I thought I knew. Did not get FJ but was close, I said Haiti because my Desk Calendar Jeopardy question of the day said 'it's 10 million people all live on a third of a Caribbean Island' and that answer was Haiti so I thought the population was probably right for what FJ wanted, I just couldn't come up with the name of the island.

I got Fj right.  

I go the TS of Tiffany, Little Boy Blue  tennis, Gilbert Stuart, plate, Coolidge, and nihilistic.

I got the entire categories of nursery rhymes and presidents right.

I travelled in my mind all around the Caribbean, but finally landed on the correct island in the nick of time.  I think I barely had time to write it down before the music stopped, but I know I finished writing before the first answer was revealed.  Dunno why the new champ bet anything, really, since it was a runaway.  

As for TS, I got Little Boy Blue, plate, Koh-i-noor, and cigarettes.  

• Love 1

The only TSs I got were Little Boy Blue and cigarettes, which was a guess. For the Washington portraitist, I just said Gilbert. I need to stop thinking that's his last name.

Instead of Black Thursday, I said Black Monday. I was pretty sure it was Monday. Oh well.

I didn't get FJ. I didn't even take a guess. I'm terrible with distance and really terrible with populations.

• Love 1

Another archive game for me (tomorrow night will be the first episode I've seen in two weeks).

Was there another MA governor with the last name Adams?  They're rather inconsistent with BMS prompts.

Cigarettes was quite a surprising TS, and Busch a bit surprising too, with Coors (which I also guessed) ruled out.  Same with nihilistic being a TS when one contestant had spotted them nihilist.  Taking three tries to get Black Thursday was not something I expected, either.

I could have sat here until I died and not come up with the guy who painted George Washington's portrait, missed two scattered others, and then batted .500 in the presidents and nursery rhymes categories; not a good first round!

DJ was even worse, thanks to categories about James Bond and sci-fi stories (I didn't blow either one entirely, but did not perform well - not my genres) and several more scattered misses.

I did get FJ, though.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Was there another MA governor with the last name Adams?  They're rather inconsistent with BMS prompts.

I assumed it was because John Adams was of the same era (and they were cousins).

• Love 6

Busch a bit surprising too, with Coors (which I also guessed) ruled out. 

I guessed Molson.

Taking three tries to get Black Thursday was not something I expected, either.

I said Monday.

• Love 1

So do you think they would accept "What is the island where Haiti and the Dominican Republic are located? for FJ?"  Guess not.

Those of a certain age (*cough* old *cough*) might know Abraham from the controversy over the Abraham/Isaac statue as the May 4, 1970 memorial at Kent State (in O-Hi-O).

Edited by Good Queen Jane
verbs should match subjects.
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think they should hire me to do it.  But, if not, Ken's a good second choice.

You'd be my second choice, Katy M, after Brad.

16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Did pretty well in the Beer, Bond and Doctor categories, missed one in each. Got the TSs of Little Boy Blue, plate and for some reason Kohinoor, I do not know where I dredged that out of, not something I thought I knew.

I knew Kohinoor because I've read quite a bit about the crown jewels over the years, but I did opine that I thought it meant "will kill werewolves".  I also got Gilbert Stuart and cigarettes.

FJ took me a moment, and I thought I was probably wrong, but Hispanola (can't do the diacritical mark on my keyboard) seemed like a good answer so I went with it.

16 hours ago, opus said:

Jeopardy curse? Ruby Tuesday filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection yesterday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/10/07/ruby-tuesday-closing-185-restaurants-chapter-11-bankruptcy/5907136002/

The one near me closed abruptly more than 2 years ago.  The employees showed up for their shifts and the doors were locked, no warning or explanation.  No real loss to me, as their food was good but overpriced, but I felt sorry for the people who lost their jobs so suddenly.

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire categories of nursery rhymes and presidents right.

I got 3 of the presidents right, the most valuable three.  Amazed myself, because that's usually a category at which I suck.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Busch a bit surprising too, with Coors (which I also guessed) ruled out.

I've heard of Kyle Busch, and knew about Busch Ice because it's one of the many beers my dad drank at one time or another, so that one was a gimme.

DJ was even worse, thanks to categories about James Bond and sci-fi stories (I didn't blow either one entirely, but did not perform well - not my genres)

Those were both great categories for me, although I couldn't come up with Ringworld because Discworld kept getting in the way.  I've heard of both Niven's work and Terry Pratchett's, but I've never read either, which is a bit strange given that SF/Fantasy was my preferred genre back in the day.

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Black Thursday, I said Black Monday. I was pretty sure it was Monday. Oh well.

I said Black Friday because clearly the Crash of 1929 is why everyone goes shopping at the break of dawn on the day after Thanksgiving.  Oy.

Edited by proserpina65
because my dad drank quite often but was rarely drunk
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Taking three tries to get Black Thursday was not something I expected, either.

I said Monday.

I said Thursday because the clue led me to believe it was a good/bad question, I mean that because Thursday was in the title of the book, I expected the answer to also be Thursday but with a 'very different' descriptor.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I said Thursday because the clue led me to believe it was a good/bad question, I mean that because Thursday was in the title of the book, I expected the answer to also be Thursday but with a 'very different' descriptor.

Yeah, I realized that after I said my wrong answer.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I assumed it was because John Adams was of the same era (and they were cousins).

Didn't they need the full name because that was the name of the beer?  Or am I getting that one mixed up with something else?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I can't remember the title of the book, so can you explain?

17 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Didn't they need the full name because that was the name of the beer?  Or am I getting that one mixed up with something else?

Oh, that's a good point. You're probably right.

6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
28 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I can't remember the title of the book, so can you explain?

The clue was: "Sweet Thursday" is the name of a book by John Steinbeck, very different from this nickname for October 24, 1929 on Wall Street

So since the book was Sweet Thursday I expected the answer to be (something bad/not sweet) Thursday, and since it was Wall Street and 'bad' days are black, I chose Black Thursday, I didn't see why a different day would work it's way in.

Edited by dgpolo
wayward s
  • Love 3

I always think Gilbert Stuart is Gilbert Sullivan and then get "Alone Again, Naturally" stuck in my head. At least it dislodged "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"...oh, damn, it's back.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Again, not a great game for me; just got four ts's: little boy blue, plate, Kohinoor, and Tiffany.

Did not get FJ.  The only island I could dredge up from the recesses of my mind was Bermuda and I knew that was wrong just because of three different languages.

I did get Wednesday's  FJ of Abraham, which is pretty good since Bible categories are really hit or miss for me.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Didn't they need the full name because that was the name of the beer? 

No, the clue was "He served as governor of Massachusetts from 1793 to 1797".

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

So since the book was Sweet Thursday I expected the answer to be (something bad/not sweet) Thursday, and since it was Wall Street and 'bad' days are black, I chose Black Thursday, I didn't see why a different day would work it's way in.

My thought process was the same.

12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, the clue was "He served as governor of Massachusetts from 1793 to 1797".

Since the category required the answer to be the name of a beer, too, I assumed that just "Adams" was insufficient, as there is no Adams beer nor is the beer just known colloquially as Adams (unlike Stella).  That's just my take on it, though.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Since the category required the answer to be the name of a beer, too, I assumed that just "Adams" was insufficient, as there is no Adams beer nor is the beer just known colloquially as Adams (unlike Stella).  That's just my take on it, though.

While Samuel Adams is the proper name of this brew, people routinely ask for a Sam Adams. But never would anyone ask for an "Adams." So yes, Sam/Samuel was required. If the clue wanted the name of the governor, the show's style is last name is sufficient.

No Jeopardy here AGAIN today. I guess any and all sports are more important than maybe someone somewhere actually LEARNING something. Thanks for making a sucky day worse, network.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Damn, I thought FJ was so obvious and only one of them got it right.

I got 21/30 in both rounds.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No Jeopardy here AGAIN today. I guess any and all sports are more important than maybe someone somewhere actually LEARNING something. Thanks for making a sucky day worse, network.

I'm so glad that when they preempt something, it's usually Wheel of Fortune (which I hate) and not Jeopardy. Even when they were doing extra corona coverage every night in the early days of the pandemic, they took a break and let us watch some trivia first.

• Love 1

I was so happy I finally had an instaget FJ! that makes 2/5

I was also a bit flabbergasted to have run the Number of Things category, numbers are definitely not my thing. Only missed one in both Bee Good (BEECH!) and Original Language (I said Austrian 🙄) categories. I don't think I got any TSs but I did get the missed DDs of Lawrence and Caduceus.

It is interesting that the two younger people missed FJ.  I guess it was before their time -- or no longer required reading?.  But it's one of my favorites, so it was an instaget for me.  

I also got Lawrence of Arabia and caduceus.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Anyone who strives to be a contestant ought to watch Lawrence of Arabia. It's a frequent go-to clue.

When AFI (American Film Institute) first came out with their 100 years 100 films list, my oldest daughter and I decided to watch them all, we started at 100 and went up, in order to 1, if we had to ILL a movie we would wait for it to come in to keep to the order, if we had already seen a film we watched it again. I've been able to answer many questions I might not have otherwise because of this. AFI did a revised list 10 years later that caused some films to leave the list and an additional few that I had to watch. Lawrence was #5 on the original list and #7 on the anniversary list.

• Love 9

I was just listening to No Such Thing as a Fish and one of their facts for the week was the story of Teddy Roosevelt being shot in the chest, just like FJ last week (?). 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ABay said:

I was just listening to No Such Thing as a Fish and one of their facts for the week was the story of Teddy Roosevelt being shot in the chest, just like FJ last week (?). 

I knew Boston and beech. I thought it was ironic that I saw the Toyota ad using Hey Ya on the same night the song was a clue.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I knew Boston and beech. I thought it was ironic that I saw the Toyota ad using Hey Ya on the same night the song was a clue.

I forget which one, but there was another clue that referenced something I saw in the last couple days, too.

Have we had more than usual runaway games lately?  It seems like it.

I got the ts's, missed DD's of beech, Lawrence of Arabia (after first saying Peter O'toole), and caduceus.

Not quite an instaget FJ, but close.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:17 AM, dgpolo said:

The clue was: "Sweet Thursday" is the name of a book by John Steinbeck, very different from this nickname for October 24, 1929 on Wall Street

Yes, thanks, that all makes sense. I should have paid more attention.

Like others, I thought FJ was really easy and so was surprised when the two contestants missed it. My only concern was that I would get the number wrong. Numbers often trip me up, but I remembered this one right.

I pre-guessed that the book would be either On the Road or Catcher in the Rye. 

Other clues I got were beech, Lawrence of Arabia, Boston, and Taos. I almost got caduceus, but I would have said caduces. I think I'll remember next time.

• Love 1

Lawrence of Arabia (after first saying Peter O'toole)

That was a picture of O'Toole as LoA, wasn't it? Looked like it to me. If LoA is the answer, show a picture of him. That confused me for a moment. 

53 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Like others, I thought FJ was really easy and so was surprised when the two contestants missed it

Oh, me too.  But I'm still reeling with shock from the "Abraham" FJ!  HOW did three educated adults not know that?  

If nothing else, haven't they ever listened to Bob Dylan?

♪♫ Oh, God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe said, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God said, "No" Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want, Abe, but
The next time you see me comin', you better run"
Well, Abe said, "Where d'you want this killin' done?"
God said, "Out on Highway 61" ♪♫

54 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I pre-guessed that the book would be either On the Road or Catcher in the Rye. 

I pre-guessed Catcher also.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Have we had more than usual runaway games lately?  It seems like it.

I got the ts's, missed DD's of beech, Lawrence of Arabia (after first saying Peter O'toole), and caduceus.

Not quite an instaget FJ, but close.

I'm not sure if there is more than usual, but one game this week, Wednesday or Thursday the second place person missed the last clue and dropped under 50% of the #1 player to make it a runaway game.  And I'm pretty sure she would have won had she not done that.  She got FJ correct and he missed it. 

I don't recall the exact numbers to know if he had gotten the final question and he didn't if it made it a runaway game.  But the very last clue in DJ changed the outcome. 

• Love 1

I wish I knew what made me guess "Brave New World" for FJ.  It's from the 30s, not the 50s, but it came to my mind first, and I was surprised when Sabreena came up with it too.  Eerie!  I just haven't read the Bradbury book, yet.

I also got hung up on Peter O'Toole rather than Lawrence.

I liked Brian.  Shame it just wasn't his day.  I'd enjoy a party with him and Louis.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2