Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: Bring Your Loved One To Work

• Start Topic

In the Quickfire, it’s a true test of communication as the chefs play a game of telephone with their loved ones as they try to reproduce the dish their family member is currently eating at a nearby restaurant. Then, the chefs are tasked with creating a signature product that they will bottle, use on a dish and sell at a food festival. They may get help from their visiting loved ones, but for one chef, the help won’t save them from being sent home. Celebrity Chef Nancy Silverton is the guest judge joining Tom, Padma and Gail.

Original air date: April 16, 2020

Stephanie’s base sounded boring. Malarkey’s unfresh salsa sounded unappetizing, but a grainy/chunky lemon ginger yogurt seemed just wholly unpleasant.

I wanted to scoop up Kevin and Melissa’s chicken and go to town on Gregory’s and Eric’s double.

I do not find Nini charming. 

• Love 12

I was hoping Lee Anne would win. Mapo Tofu is one of my favorite Chinese dishes.

I was also hoping that Malarkey would go down in flames. What a douchetool.

I did think all 3 of the top finalists were awesome and was glad to see Gregory win.

Edited by The Solution
  • Love 18

I had to laugh at Nini in Whole Foods telling the person at the meat counter to “remember her face”. Her outfit was so bright, you couldn’t miss it! 

I would have been happy to have any of the top 3 dishes—they sounded amazing. This was a great episode in terms of seeing all the family members working so well together. Made me tear up a little. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I simply cannot believe the scene where Malarkey shows off his rankings of the chefs. Everything about it. Where he puts "Me" on top. Where he has arrows and labels the axes "Top" and Bottom". Where he explains it all to the camera knowing that everyone will see it eventually. It's bonkers.

Maybe I'm weird because I kind of laughed at that scene and didn't mind it.  Maybe I should but I kind of loved how he acknowledged that he put himself at the top because he was there to win it and that it might make him look like an asshole but there can be only one.  He could have kept it to himself but overall, it felt fair.  And yeah, they're all doing it/being asked about it.

I really enjoyed the quickfire challenge tonight.  Have they ever done something like that before? 

• Love 16

I'm here for the Malarkey ratio

Yes this a competition - but the history of Top Chef doesn't seem to favor the chefs that are calculating. Your food should always speak for itself.

Malarkey can burn with his book.  His expressions are so over the top - he reminds me of a Kardashian with all of his effort put into trying to move his mouth.

Edited by chabelisaywow
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

Poor Bryan thinking no one love him when everyone’s phone rang before his.

At first I thought it seemed unfair that some of the relatives were also chefs but overall it did not seem to help.  
Leanne seems to do to much.  When I saw how many pans she had going I felt overwhelmed.   Glad her mom is okay.   It’s was awesome seeing all the chefs step up and help.  We have come along way since season two..

Jen dish was ingredients that so many dietitians say to eat.  Wanted to try it and its the dish that sends her home lol.  Not sure what happened but when she was send home her words were silent.  Her expression did not look like she was swearing. 

Edited by tribeca
  • Useful 1

I don’t know ... I am truly believing Malarkey and LeeAnne are there simply to provide the ‘extra footage’ and not necessarily to compete.  Is it just me?  

Again I like all the chefs. 

I just watched the show again.  Nancy took one of Bryan V’s jars.  Was this the only one or did I miss her taking other chefs’ products?

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 8

I've always liked Stephanie but she's getting the worst edit this year, and seems like she's an afterthought during QF and EC. That's a shame because she's a great cook who's barely being showcased this season.  I think she's had two talking heads so far.  

• Love 10

I know it's a show and all, but it seemed pretty unfair to base the QF on someone giving (often terrible) descriptions to the chefs. Mostly because I love Bryan V and he was really screwed by that!

I would have "bought" Bryan's calamari bolognese -- I don't think it's so weird. But yes, Nini's Vietnamese glaze sounded amazing.

Edited by dleighg
oops
  • Love 12

I loved this episode! Loved the quickfire, loved the way that the chefs came together when Leanne's mother went down, loved Stephanie sending her husband to help Leanne and the way others also helped out. This is a group of good people.

Most of their products seemed very successful. 

I like Malarky and thought it was hilarious that he recognizes that he's a dick but doesn't want to be a dick, which somehow seems to make him less dick-ish. 

Jen was the right choice to go. I thought that Bryan V got lucky, because his calamari sauce did not sound at all appealing to me, and his dish was not something that most home cooks would ever attempt. [ETA: Wait! was it Kevin who did the calamari sauce?]

So happy for Gregory! But kind of thought that Melissa got robbed of the chance to win, given that her sauce was the crowd favorite.

In other news, did you know that Eric's culinary roots are in West Africa? Gosh, I had NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE.

Edited by Ashforth
  • LOL 5
  • Love 14

I forgot to say, I felt for Kevin that he had already used the apple butter recipe that was so highly praised as something that should be bottled and sold. I wondered at first whether he might try doing it again and putting it with a different dish, but I understand why he didn't, I think he would have been dinged by the judges. 

But I bet inside he was kicking himself for not holding that recipe back for a minute.

• Love 22
27 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I forgot to say, I felt for Kevin that he had already used the apple butter recipe that was so highly praised as something that should be bottled and sold. I wondered at first whether he might try doing it again and putting it with a different dish, but I understand why he didn't, I think he would have been dinged by the judges. 

But I bet inside he was kicking himself for not holding that recipe back for a minute.

He is selling it as a to go item with cornbread. It is on my order list. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 11

I really like Bryan V but I was disappointed in his choice of the calamari Bolognese. He used that same dish in S6 when they were doing a tribute to teachers. And Tom commented that Bryan has it on the menu at one of his restaurants. Yes, it probably is really good (Judge Nancy did actually take a jar) but I still kind of wish he had stretched himself a little by creating something new instead of phoning it in with an old faithful.

That being said, I guess he's playing the game smarter by going with something tried and true. 

I laughed SO hard at Malarkey's little list. You just knew that was going to come back to bite him on the ass. 

• Love 14

I like Malarky and thought it was hilarious that he recognizes that he's a dick but doesn't want to be a dick, which somehow seems to make him less dick-ish. 

People like Malarky don't bother me. It's like he can't help himself..he's just got to be That Guy. I actually thought he was going home because they showed his burn book, but was secretly glad he didn't. Plus, I find him cute. (I know!)

This was a fun challenge. I liked the Quickfire too, especially since nobody was going home over a poor description from a loved one. Did they even give out immunity? I didn't hear any of the chefs mention it during the elimination challenge. 

Mapo Dofu is a specialty of my brother, who lived many years in Japan. Not sure if he would use an instant Mapo sauce, but I might. Especially since my brother lives across the country from me.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Jodithgrace said:

People like Malarky don't bother me. It's like he can't help himself..he's just got to be That Guy. I actually thought he was going home because they showed his burn book, but was secretly glad he didn't. Plus, I find him cute. (I know!)

This was a fun challenge. I liked the Quickfire too, especially since nobody was going home over a poor description from a loved one. Did they even give out immunity? I didn't hear any of the chefs mention it during the elimination challenge. 

Mapo Dofu is a specialty of my brother, who lived many years in Japan. Not sure if he would use an instant Mapo sauce, but I might. Especially since my brother lives across the country from me.

Yeah, when Kevin Won the QF, he got immunity and 10 grand.

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • Love 3

I can't stop laughing at how over it Eric's daughter looks in that photo. That is amazing. Also, get you a man who looks at you like he looks at his wife. <3

I wasn't too surprised to see Jen go home, but I was kinda hoping this would be Malarkey's time. It's too much to hope for that he learned any kind of lesson from this.

I personally am intrigued by the idea o a mapo gravy, because yeah, I probably won't be trying to make that on my own any time soon, but I should. I also would've loved to have tried Nini's ribs.

Karen, Stephanie, and Lee Anne are my three faves, and it makes me sad that they seem to be struggling so much. I'm glad Lee Anne had a better showing this episode, but not at the expense of her mom! That was pretty scary.

• Love 12

Was Malarky this odious in his original season? I remember him somewhat excitable but solid. I understand mentally sizing up your competition, but to write it down in a notebook like he did is the markings of someone touched in the head or a person desperate for screen time. I'm not sure which one is healthier.

• Love 8

In the spirit of Malarky..my top five Kevin, Melissa, Gregory, Eric and my dark horse is Nini. I think Bryan is an amazing chef but he isn't really wowing the judges! sorry Malarky! not sorry! I definitely wanted Nini's and Kevin's dishes. Loved Gregory's product.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I laughed long and hard at Malarkey being on the bottom after his little burn book hadn’t predicted that. 

He's not wrong that "yeah, everyone but one gets eliminated" but, dude, to have an actual list of who you think is going next and proudly talk about it?  Sit the hell down. 

I thought Sailor Malarkey was bad, but Miles Malarkey sounds like a kid's game show host on cable access.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4

I laughed when Malarkey was showing his ranking list of chefs. Later he tells us he doesn't want to be "a dick". I'm reminded of season 2's Sam who says "I don't want to be THAT guy" but immediately is THAT guy. I laughed even harder when Malarkey is in the bottom 3. Again. 

Is Malarkey this much of a dick or is he playing it up to be on camera? I think he knows he's not in the top talent, really. He has become very successful in life just being a "personality" on these shows. Keeping his name out there. Doing his schtick. He's got his silly "list" and showing the camera, etc. He's not going to win this show, but he knows what he's doing. He said it last night that he knows how to market himself. He should have chosen a better product for the EC but he gets a lot of air time being in the bottom 3.

So heartwarming to see the chefs gather around Lee Anne's mom to help her. I hope she's okay. Extra points for Stephanie asking her hubby to go help Lee Anne. That's integrity and humanity you can't teach someone. I really like her for that. Good on her hubby, too.

What a surprise that Jenn is gone. Not that her sauce wasn't the worst but that she's better than what she put out. I expected her to last several more weeks. Her exit was good though. More gracious than her last goodbye. She sounded at peace with it all. 

Thanks for posting that Nancy is doing well. 

• Love 22

Malarkey was definitely not this much of a character in his original season. His list would be the scene I would write were I writing a "Waiting for Guffman" style parody of a competitive reality TV show. The next scene would then be the other competitors finding his diary.

Kevin could have reprised his much praised bacon jam from his original season. I would have liked a jar of that.

I wonder if someone could have done a dessert topping. Like some sweet thing to put on top of ice cream.  It would have been unique in this lineup of savory dishes.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I know it's a show and all, but it seemed pretty unfair to base the QF on someone giving (often terrible) descriptions to the chefs.

The only way to make things 'fair' would be to give all the chefs the same ingredients and the same recipe and to judge it blind.

I don't think it was based on someone else, I think it was based on the chef's asking the right questions and intuiting what was needed. The way some of the chefs figured out which fish or cut of meat was needed was amazing. Plus, the smart ones could look around at the dishes the other chefs were making to see which ones were doing the same and make decisions off of that.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

I know it's a show and all, but it seemed pretty unfair to base the QF on someone giving (often terrible) descriptions to the chefs. Mostly because I love Bryan V and he was really screwed by that!

I agree and I also wonder how fair it is to base the elimination challenge on a team up between the chef and a family member that may or may not be a good sous chef.  It looked to me like both Greg and Nini benefited from cooking with their mothers doing cooking in their home style.  I'm sure that even I would be in the top 3 if I had my mother with me in that challenge, and I'm not even a chef, LOL.  My mother was a kick ass gourmet home cook that could throw down with the best of them.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Greg and Eric in particular and think they're phenomenal chefs, but I still feel this way about this challenge.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Ashforth said:

But kind of thought that Melissa got robbed of the chance to win, given that her sauce was the crowd favorite.

From what Padma said to her after announcing the top three, it seems like she was their fourth favorite. 

• Love 3

I most wanted Nini and Voltaggio's sauces. I'm so over fried chicken. Yeah, it's good, but it's not the best food in the world. And I'm REALLY over hot chicken. Booooooring. It's every-freaking-where.

Jen was a class exit. She's another one who's learned from watching her appearance afterwards. Lisa seemed better, but she's approaching her old braggy obnoxious self on LCT. 

I was happy that Leanne's mom's guess of soy sauce didn't bite Leanne. She ended up in the top 3 of the quickfire!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, carrps said:

I was happy that Leanne's mom's guess of soy sauce didn't bite Leanne. She ended up in the top 3 of the quickfire!

that surprised me! It seems they weren't very clear on the whole "reproduce the meal" thing. I mean soy sauce and b. vinegar taste pretty different! And they seemed to love Bryan V's dish but gave him a bottom score because he used the wrong fish. (Though it occurred to me that finding a whole bunch of fish collars in the fridge might have made them think-- that's not a terribly common item)

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

(Though it occurred to me that finding a whole bunch of fish collars in the fridge might have made them think-- that's not a terribly common item)

Speaking of common items, I had -just- watched an episode of Guy's Grocery Games where they had to get a spice that cost more than $17, everyone chose Fennel Pollen. Never heard of it. Then someone (can't remember who? the guest judge maybe?) mentioned using Fennel Pollen here.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

everyone chose Fennel Pollen. Never heard of it.

I've heard of it-- it's one of those fancy pants things that get dusted on fancy pants dishes on these shows every once in awhile. I've never had it, and certainly never bought it. Wonder what it tastes like? I guess a concentrated form of fennel?

When Leanne found herself in the weeds again my first thought was “here we go again” even though it wasn’t her fault, but then Stephanie sent her husband to help and other chefs stepped in, and I actually cried. I’ve always been ambivalent towards Stephanie but now I officially love her (though she won’t win). I will always root for contestants who show such class.

Gregory’s mom calling him “chef” was adorable.

I wanted to try Nini’s dish, Gregory’s, Eric’s, and Leanne’s.

Dear Malarky: “I’m not being a d***, but...” means you’re absolutely being a d***. See also: “I’m not racist but...” and “I’m not being rude but....”

GTF off my tv, you idiot. Take your stupid lists, your d-bag comments, and your dumb faces with you.

• Love 21

Well at our castle we were hoping Bryan's loved one would turn out to be Michael.

It's odd that they chose this challenge to air during a time when so many of us have "taken our loved ones to work."

Bye to Jennifer.  The lemon and ginger sauce sounded fine to me - adding yogurt sounded horrid.  And what a perfect chance for an actual sale to the public product.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree and I also wonder how fair it is to base the elimination challenge on a team up between the chef and a family member that may or may not be a good sous chef.  It looked to me like both Greg and Nini benefited from cooking with their mothers doing cooking in their home style.  I'm sure that even I would be in the top 3 if I had my mother with me in that challenge, and I'm not even a chef, LOL.  My mother was a kick ass gourmet home cook that could throw down with the best of them.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Greg and Eric in particular and think they're phenomenal chefs, but I still feel this way about this challenge.

For sure, there are always some teams with a leg up when they bring in family members. This time it didn't seem like anyone was stuck with a *bad* partner at least! I thought the playing field seemed more even than usual. (Except mistaking fish for chicken...)

My partner agreed if I'm ever on Top Chef he'll make sure the show recruits my mom or brother instead of him, because he would be terrible.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I am amazed that most of you can remember people from different seasons. For the most part even if I remember their names I couldn't tell you what they cooked, why the left, etc.  I guess I am not a real fan. 

Malarky is clearly using this for some type of reel he will send to try to get on another show. I cannot think of any other reason for his shennanigans....and he is annoying....

I don't eat meat so most of the time I am not interested in the food except how it sounds and and the presentation.  I would have loved to sample some of Gregory's product and I am trying to figure out what I could sprinkle Melissa's sauce on...but after the comments I might want it hotter.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I would have loved to sample some of Gregory's product

was he the one that did the pickle? To be honest that was the least appealing one to me. I mean, I can make a pickle (not fancy-- but cucumber and vinegar etc.) -- so not sure how it would add such a WOW factor to my meal as the judges seamed to think. Much rather have Nini's glaze.

• Love 3

I really felt for Leanne, and her mother, because I too am prone to fainting if I either stand in one position for too long, or if I am standing in the heat. She knew she was about to faint, and just managed “I have to sit down” before she collapsed. That was pretty much my experience the first time this happened to me, about five years ago. Now I recognize the warning signs of my hands getting cold and my mouth going dry, and haven’t outright fainted since that first time.

I really want some of those products! I totally agree it was a missed opportunity.

I also agree that Malarkey has future tv personality on his agenda more than actually winning this competition.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I am amazed that most of you can remember people from different seasons. For the most part even if I remember their names I couldn't tell you what they cooked, why the left, etc.  I guess I am not a real fan. 

Oh, I dunno.  I would consider myself a fan of this show and I also don't remember what they cooked.  I'm lucky I knew who most of them were!  But then again, I can't remember what I eat for breakfast some days 😉 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6