Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: Bring Your Loved One To Work

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

so I've been down with her as a competitor ever since, regardless of her meltdown in the first All Stars (which I remember happening, but don't remember details of

I've always liked her as well. So she blew up leaving All Stars (I think it was the carnivores vs. herbivores breakfast at the Smithsonian? Something like that-- she was on carnivores and they couldn't use any vegetables?) Other than blowing up, which anyone can do, she's been a very talented competitor. 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:45 AM, Bastet said:

She handled it directly and gracefully, and then put out fantastic food to come in third or fourth (I can't recall offhand) for the season, with an appealing confidence (tempered by perfectionist insecurity), so I've been down with her as a competitor ever since, regardless of her meltdown in the first All Stars

All of this.  I don’t know if I’d want to hang out with Jen, and while I remember being impressed by her cooking, it didn’t especially resonate with me, but I have tremendous respect for her. 

On 4/19/2020 at 4:08 AM, Yeah No said:

See now while Malarkey doesn't annoy me, for some reason Karen does.  I don't dislike her but she's too everything for me.  I'm one of those reserved introverts in person and she is just soooo exhausting in some ways.   Too bright, too shiny, too happy, too much teeth and grinning for me.  Not that I'm a dour old sourpuss or anything, far from it.  I'm sure she's a nice person, but she does annoy me nonetheless.  I feel like taking a nap after watching her for 5 minutes.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:28 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

Karen is just bugging for a superficial reason for me in that I can't stand how she enunciates when she talks. 

This is my first time watching Top Chef in several years. I had forgotten a lot of the quirks of the show and things that bugged me. These two comments on Karen--I can't help but agree, and I am having the same problem with Gail. It feels so goofy to me the way she speaks so dramatically about food that is essentially game show currency. I know, I know, I'm watching a food contest--that's what it's about! But I'm having a little bit of secondhand embarrassment about it. LOL

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

It feels so goofy to me the way she speaks so dramatically about food

I hadn't really thought of it, but now I know exactly what you mean. And I won't be able to unhear it! It's as if she's talking about some deep religious or philosophical issue. Kind of like Krista Tippet on NPR (whose voice annoys me no end).

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/19/2020 at 3:11 PM, dleighg said:

On the show "The Taste" he was a one name phenomenon, a la Cher or Sting.

I'm just bingeing the season now - I had no idea it had been on! - and thought MALARKEY showed real potential in this episode for becoming one of his generation's thirstiest Youtube vloggers. Or a human BUY IT NOW chyron on QVC.

Watching him this episode, it was too easy for me to imagine poor Mrs. MALARKEY, spent in her child-bed after having just popped out a MINI-MALARKEY, and there's MALARKEY peeking his head in the door, saying, "I brought you something, honey!" But it's not flowers. It's not a bucket of Popeyes. It's a MALARKETING plan he got you to initial mid-contraction that includes: "I agree to my husband's choice of the names 'Miles' because 'S'Miles' is a legit-genius product name that he came up with."

5 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

I'm just bingeing the season now - I had no idea it had been on! - and thought MALARKEY showed real potential in this episode for becoming one of his generation's thirstiest Youtube vloggers. Or a human BUY IT NOW chyron on QVC.

Watching him this episode, it was too easy for me to imagine poor Mrs. MALARKEY, spent in her child-bed after having just popped out a MINI-MALARKEY, and there's MALARKEY peeking his head in the door, saying, "I brought you something, honey!" But it's not flowers. It's not a bucket of Popeyes. It's a MALARKETING plan he got you to initial mid-contraction that includes: "I agree to my husband's choice of the names 'Miles' because 'S'Miles' is a legit-genius product name that he came up with."

I'm pretty jealous that you have the whole season to watch, because this was, imo, one of the best TC seasons ever.

And you made me laugh about Malarkey, but dang it, I like him. Can't help myself. I felt that he brought both *entertainment!* and excellent, serious work this season (I'd say more, but I don't want to spoil you).

• Love 3