Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E08: This is Where the Battle Begins

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Spoiler

With the old-school players living on Edge of Extinction, it’s merge time for the new-school castaways

Original airdate 4/1

Spoilery episode description.  Reminder- do not post in this thread until after the episode airs.

Well fuck.  First Tyson comes back and then Wendell is bounced.  What a shitty fucking episode.

I guess I missed Jeff saying the EoE players were on the jury? Or were partial observers?  Regardless, I looked up and saw Ethan looking on and was confused.

• Love 2

Well, it sucks that Tyson got back and his name wasn't thrown around.

But yay for Wendell being the one to leave! I may think Adam is playing a bad game, but he's a great narrator. I've really enjoyed his confessionals and am not quite ready to let him go. 

Plus, more Adam means less Ben. Hopefully, since Ben got a lot of confessionals here. 

Plus, Wendell leaving means I can go back to liking Jeremy. He was irritating with trying to get Nick out to be Wendell's number 1. Maybe you should have chosen Nick as your number 1, Jeremy. That way, you wouldn't have gotten burned so quickly. As I don't see Jeremy/Nick bro'ing out in the way that Jeremy/Wendell obviously did with Ben. 

I'm also glad to have heard from Sophie more. She's been my favourite, besides Nick, all season, so I'm glad to see that continue.

• Love 18

Eh, disappointed that it was Tyson who came back from EoE instead of Parvati or Yul. Oh well. I also can't stand weepy Tyson. I want snarky evil Tyson to come back. The Tyson who said this to Coach. "Don't wear your feather to tribal. Don't tell your stories. They mock you."

Amber quietly in the background supporting Rob. Some things never change. It seems to work for their marriage/relationship so more power to them. 

Loved the old school endurance IC. Jiffy still needs to shut up in those challenges.

Glad Wendell is gone. Too bad Nick is probably toast too since he was left out of that loop because I like Nick. But overall I like the dynamics of this game. It's kind of an open fluid game. 

One thing I noticed: in the past Survivors used to spend a lot of time prettying up their camp with decorations. Now it seems like everyone just has a tarp and that's it. Anyone else notice how the interior camp decorators seem to be a thing of the past?

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yul got voted out just ONE Tribal Council before the challenge where he could have explained to us why elephants can’t climb trees. I’m so sad!! 

I said the same thing to my husband.  I was so so bummed!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Tribal council was interesting. Sounds like everyone wants to be UTR.

Any idea how the votes went?  Did Michele really not know Wendell was the target?

Edited by Haleth
4 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yul got voted out just ONE Tribal Council before the challenge where he could have explained to us why elephants can’t climb trees. I’m so sad!! 

I was hoping for Yul or Natalie but I don’t mind Tyson coming back. At least we’ll get more of his deadpan confessionals. I love those! Tony continues to amuse. “Now we know why Sandra went home. She wasn’t doing this.” 😂

I’m glad Adam was saved. I just like the kid. I still have literally no recollection of Sophie on her first season but she seems very perceptive and I’m starting to really appreciate her low key game. (As opposed to Kim who is so low key that I literally forget she even exists until she wanders into the frame)

Again with the weird, random music just before the challenge ended. All this tension and then suddenly a woman singing: “You better be ready” or something. WTF?

There's a Kim? 😀

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Unlike last time, the married Mr. Kwon can't say this is why he can't ever get a date.

Plus, Wendell leaving means I can go back to liking Jeremy. He was irritating with trying to get Nick out to be Wendell's number 1. Maybe you should have chosen Nick as your number 1, Jeremy. That way, you wouldn't have gotten burned so quickly. As I don't see Jeremy/Nick bro'ing out in the way that Jeremy/Wendell obviously did with Ben. 

Well, since they both got blindsided, maybe Jeremy can be Nick's #1 now.  I think they'd be a fun bromance if they'd just give it a chance.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Wiki says that Michele, Wendell and Nick were the three votes for Adam.

Wait, so Jeremy voted against Wendell?!  I thought he looked surprised, and Michele didn't.  

But if he saw he couldn't get the vote changed from Wendell to Adam, maybe he went along with it.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I was hoping for Yul or Natalie but I don’t mind Tyson coming back. At least we’ll get more of his deadpan confessionals. I love those! Tony continues to amuse. “Now we know why Sandra went home. She wasn’t doing this.” 😂

I’m glad Adam was saved. I just like the kid. I still have literally no recollection of Sophie on her first season but she seems very perceptive and I’m starting to really appreciate her low key game. (As opposed to Kim who is so low key that I literally forget she even exists until she wanders into the frame)

Again with the weird, random music just before the challenge ended. All this tension and then suddenly a woman singing: “You better be ready” or something. WTF?

It was also the challenge in HvV where Parvati casually stood there hanging on to the pole with one hand and one foot while everyone else was hugging the pole and strugglig to hold on. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Wait, so Jeremy voted against Wendell?!  I thought he looked surprised, and Michele didn't.  

But if he saw he couldn't get the vote changed from Wendell to Adam, maybe he went along with it.

Yeah, that shocked me, too.  I've got back to look at it again twice now.  

Ben carping about Nick butting into conversations was annoying because it’s Ben, and also one of the examples the bad editors showed was Nick walking up, and Kim talking to him first, like he wasn’t stopping until she said something.  

Shut up, Ben.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
11 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Wiki says that Michele, Wendell and Nick were the three votes for Adam.

I was shocked by that — Jeremy voted for Wendell??!!  Wendell must have had a whiff of that because he gave his fire tokens to Nick and Michelle rather than Jeremy.  I guess Jeremy wanted to go along with the crowd.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Eolivet said:

Adam is afraid of the challenge. Okay, he's afraid of heights.

He's afraid of going home. (what?)

He's afraid of the Edge of Extinction? To the point where he starts crying? Is he afraid of the dark? Monsters? Oldschoolers?

At least he's not afraid of rain ...?

Of course not.  He lived through a cyclone (I loved that line from him tonight).

• Love 7

I guessing I’m in for the long haul, up to and including recording The Challenge while I watch Survivor “live.” The stupid thing is that I’m not feeling too invested in anyone that’s left. I’m not in love, but none of them give me a permanent mad-on.

Tyson gets back in the game. Yaaaaaaaaaay. Watching him and Rob battle it out, I’m sure Probst was pitching a tent. Tyson was probably his second choice. If Rob won, I’m guessing he would’ve been “allowed” to bring in Amber. As it stands, he’s sitting on the jury bench for the first time ever. Only took him five seasons!

Hey, did Denise tell you how she got Sandra out of the game? I don’t think she told anyone. 🙄

I’m guessing Wendell’s boot was unexpected, but there was no “#blindside.” On the bright side, there’s still a chance he might take out someone’s eye by sneezing his toothpick out hard.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

Not wishing to ruin my TV I refrained from throwing my remote at it when Tyson won.  Not that I am a huge Boston Rob fan but I've never seen Tyson's appeal every time he's played and this time its worse because he keeps the drumbeat going about leaving his kids...well then don't leave them to keep your famewhoring alive!

Sophie! She let me down before the challenge. We're both from the same Adirondack County in a region known as The North Country for good reason. It gets cold here! Seeing  her all chilled and shaking left me head scratching as she would know what real cold is.

Jeremy and Denise will have to soul search whether one night of safety was worth drawing a huge target on their backs with their performance on the greased pole.

Indifferent to tribal because I like nether Adam or Wendall so it didn't make much a difference who left.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ben carping about Nick butting into conversations was annoying because it’s Ben, and also one of the examples the bad editors showed was Nick walking up, and Kim talking to him first, like he wasn’t stopping until she said something.  

Shut up, Ben.  

Now I want to go back to past episodes and see if the editors have sneakily included shots all season of Nick sidling into conversations

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Not wishing to ruin my TV I refrained from throwing my remote at it when Tyson won.  Not that I am a huge Boston Rob fan but I've never seen Tyson's appeal every time he's played and this time its worse because he keeps the drumbeat going about leaving his kids...well then don't leave them to keep your famewhoring alive!

Sophie! She let me down before the challenge. We're both from the same Adirondack County in a region known as The North Country for good reason. It gets cold here! Seeing  her all chilled and shaking left me head scratching as she would know what real cold is.

Jeremy and Denise will have to soul search whether one night of safety was worth drawing a huge target on their backs with their performance on the greased pole.

Indifferent to tribal because I like nether Adam or Wendall so it didn't make much a difference who left.

I thought Jeremy did the exact opposite of what he said he was going to do.  Drive the vote to get rid of Nick, yet not make it seem like it was coming from him, but he didn't do that very successfully.  He also slipped when talking to Tony and Ben, and said "I" before saying "we" want to work with Wendell.  And then when getting rid of Nick failed, learning Wendell was on the block, and trying to go into overdrive (unsuccessfully) to get rid of Adam.

I also agree about Denise.  No one but her knows that Sandra got idoled out with her own idol.  She could have just as easily said she had two idols and played them, and saved the whole story if/when she makes the final 3. I'm surprised how observant Sophie was about that, and the Jeremy/Wendell connection, tonight.  I barely remember her from her season, and her season all together I don't remember fondly.  But she's impressing me.

• Love 14

Man, I bet CBS is regretting dividing the two tribes into three, a decision which pretty quickly led to Rob, Parvati, Sandra, and Yul going home. I’d honestly cheer for almost anyone from EoE over the players still in the game — I really wanted to see how people like Parvati, Rob, Ethan, or Amber would navigate the end-game. I don’t care about Danielle and I don’t really like Tyson. Sigh. 
Jeremy’a gameplay seemed really bad tonight since his whole objective was to become Wendell’s #1 and instead Wendell got voted out. Plus when Jeremy asked Wendell if Nick was his #1 he just replied “you could say that” which I thought was Wendell’s way of leaving the door open for Jeremy to be his #1. So targeting Nick really wasn’t necessary and made it obvious that Jeremy wanted to work with Wendell. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Out of all of the EOE players, why did Tyson have to be the one to win it? Ugh, not a fan of him at all. 

Don't really care for Adam or Wendell so it didn't matter to me who went to EOE. Glad no votes for Nick came up after he was being targeted. Though I don't care much for Adam, he is managing to squeak by every TC. That is impressive. I never saw Sophie's season, so I don't know much about her gameplay, but I'm liking how she is playing this season.

Nervous for Michele and Nick now as they were on the wrong side of the vote tonight. On the upside, Wendell gave Michele and Nick his fire tokens. I'm pulling for them.

Edited by TVFan1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I guess I missed Jeff saying the EoE players were on the jury? Or were partial observers?  Regardless, I looked up and saw Ethan looking on and was confused.

I heard him say that after the challenge but I also thought I heard him say they had one more chance to get back in the competition, so I wonder how many more people will get sent before one is allowed to come back.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, SHD said:

I heard him say that after the challenge but I also thought I heard him say they had one more chance to get back in the competition, so I wonder how many more people will get sent before one is allowed to come back.

I'm thinking they will follow the format from S38, where the last person came back in at final 6.

If anyone raises the flag at this point, are they still on the jury?  

Out of all of the EOE players, why did Tyson have to be the one to win it? Ugh, not a fan of him at all. 

I put this in the live chat thread, but I agree.  Of all the people on EOE, every single one of them I was rooting for but Tyson, and he's the one who comes back in.  And it was so close!  I didn't think I'd be rooting so hard for Rob, but I was about ready to scream at my TV.

Rob seems kind of down and depressed this season.  I was kind of surprised he fought so hard to get back in.  His comment about the old schoolers, along with Tyson's remark about wondering whether he's being left behind by a game that's changed so much, makes me wonder how the old schoolers feel.  Clearly this isn't the game they played.  For some of them being such big fans in the first place, and coming back after many years, I'm sure it was rough.  

I went back and watched the vote again.  Partly because I was satisfied, finally, with a vote off.  But I was looking at Jeremy, because it floored me that he voted against Wendell, but I can see it now.  Michele actually did look surprised when Wendell's name kept coming up; Jeremy didn't.  That would explain why he gave the fire tokens to Nick and Michele.  And Jeremy also had this look on his face right before he went to vote.  I'm sure it wasn't what he wanted, but he didn't have a choice.  

And small side note, but Nick has one of the best blindsided faces to ever grace the series.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7

I really can't stand Adam and I couldn't believe how whiny and close to tears he seemed pre Tribal Council.  I can't believe he won before---no wonder I don't remember him at all.

Tyson's purchase of peanut butter doesn't seem so foolhardy now.  He did well in that challenge.  I wonder how he will hide his big jar from the merged tribe?  

That rain looked miserable.

I wish I could care more about Wendell being bounced but I'm really indifferent.  I'm glad Jeremy and Denise are safe for the moment.

And finally, 

Yul is beautiful.  That is all.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

I used to think I knew what cold was too until the first time I was WET and cold. That combo was the worst. She might be the same. 

Or maybe she was trying to psych people out? She did last longer than most (jerko Ben) thought she would.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Msample said:

Man that is gonna be a huge ass jury

I'm still wanting a Ponderosa.  Or is Sandra there, with two chefs, a hammock and all the peace and quiet in the world?  Or at a lesser resort, but a peaceful vacation, nonetheless.

24 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

If anyone raises the flag at this point, are they still on the jury?  

Or will this episode convince them of the odds of not getting any better? 

I won't say this was manipulated, BUT if you had found an advantage, you had it a whole lot easier.  I don't care enough to review how each of the blessed ones got their advantages, but that was a sieve to leave some of them digging over a foot down in the sand while the others were cooler and had an easier go of it. 

Let's hope the final vote is very different: no questions, no answers, Three minute long statements, or even...who can make fire and burn the string fastest.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Msample said:

Man that is gonna be a huge ass jury . The final tribal will take days for them to ask all their questions. 

Meh about Tyson getting back into the game.

How Tyson wasn't discussed as a potential boot surprised me, remembering what happened the last time a player came back into the game after spending time with the jury on Edge of Extinction.

• Love 5

Hmm, Sophie had so few clothes on when she was shivering and shaking, then suddenly on the pole she had a shirt and pants on. It's all set up for maximum drama on this show.

• Love 8

I got the weirdest sense of deja vu tonight as Adam was panicking and people (well, Sophie and Denise) were trying to keep him calm. 

Then came the horror as it dawned on me that he did the exact same thing during the merge episode on MvsGx (only Hannah and Zeke talked him down). That was also right about the point where I recall the general consensus was that Adam was a goat and had no chance in hell of winning.

So while I was really happy to see Wendell go (especially instead of Nick, especially especially because he wanted Denise to go), if Adam somehow wins again I'm probably not getting out of bed for a week because clearly the world really has gone to hell.

That said, I'm enjoying watching hapless Adam. So long as he doesn't win.

Other stuff... I was cheering for Natalie to come back, but I discovered I'm strangely okay with Tyson winning. Maybe it was the camera shot or two where he was starting to look a little bit like Willie Nelson to me (just from the neck up. I never want to see Willie in just those little shorts.)

Glad Sophie realized what was going on and the target got switched away from Nick... and however it got moved back to Wendell, I was even more in favor of that. I assume that several of the conversations shown where, say, Sarah and Denise said they were okay with Adam as the target were only one of several conversations and they wanted Wendell instead. (It could be someone else. They just make the most sense to me.)

When Ben referred to himself as a Big Threat, I laughed out loud. Just like most people here, it sounds like. Does he think that term refers to physical size?

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

Poor Yul. He got voted out in favor of Wendell and then found out that it's because he happened to get stuck on a tribe with the only two people who wanted to keep Wendell in the game. I'm surprised Michele was left out of that vote. She and Jeremy seemed tight on the original Sele—I thought they'd hook back up at the merge.

I absolutely love how much Ben annoys Adam—for purposes of entertaining me, there is no point to having one of them without the other. I also really loved the editing around the "Nick is always hanging around, inserting himself into conversations" discussion. I'm not sure it was entirely true or fair to Nick, but the various cuts of people chatting and then Nick walking into the frame was a very good editing joke.

It was interesting to me that there was brief discussion of buying a tarp, but no one wanted to give up their fire tokens for it. It hadn't occurred to me that there hadn't been a tribe reward involving a tarp until I saw that. I'm wondering if the producers thought people on the original tribes would club together for things like a tarp and more food in order to give their tribe an edge in the challenges, but that didn't really pan out? I hope there isn't any more to the fire tokens than what's on the camp menus and the opportunity to buy advantages from Edge of Extinction. I would love it if people hoarded their fire tokens, thinking that they could cash them in for a huge advantage at Final Four, only to discover that the value of the fire tokens was in front of them all along, and that they suffered without a tarp and blankets for nothing.

• Love 20

How did Tyson buy an advantage? I thought he spent all his tokens on peanut butter. 

Wanted Rob to win that challenge so badly (once I realized my girl Parv had no chance). But I actually don’t mind Tyson getting back in the game. Tyson can be fun, when he gets his snark on. 

I’m still bummed that most of my favorite players are on the wrong island, but there are still plenty of people worth rooting for, IMO. Sarah and Denise are on the top of my list, but I’m also pulling for Nick. I need to go back and rewatch Sophie’s season, because I still don’t remember her at all, but I don’t dislike her. Same for Tony, Jeremy and Tyson. And someone else is still coming back in. I’ll be happy to see any of them return, except for Danni. (I don’t have anything against her, really, I just don’t have anything for her, either.)

49 minutes ago, simplyme said:

When Ben referred to himself as a Big Threat, I laughed out loud. Just like most people here, it sounds like. 

Hand raised.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, 30 Helens said:

How did Tyson buy an advantage? I thought he spent all his tokens on peanut butter. 

Tyson found the idol nullifier that time he pretended to urinate so people (Rob) didn't notice him grab it. He sold the nullifier to Parvati for one token. That's the one he spent on peanut butter.

Later they had the four tokens that were placed on the paths. Rob ran like a (portly) madman and secretly got three, but Tyson found one. So that was the token he spent to get his advantage.

Essentially, this is who had tokens, from what:

Natalie: 4 (sold HII to Sandra for 1, sold Safety w/o Power to Jeremy for 1, sold Steal a Vote to Sarah for 1, and 1 from hauling logs)

Danni: 1 (from hauling logs)

Amber: 1 (from hauling logs)

Ethan: 1 (from hauling logs)

Tyson: 2 (explained at top)

Rob: 3 (explained above)

Parvati: 0

Yul: 0

How they were spent:

Tyson previously bought peanut butter for 1 token.

Amber gave her 1 token to Rob, giving him 4 total.

Natalie and Rob each purchased an immunity idol for 3 tokens.

Natalie, Danni, Ethan, Tyson, and Rob each purchased an advantage in the return challenge for 1 token.

So... Everyone on EoE spent all their tokens. Whew.

• Useful 9
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

He found 1 out of the 4 tokens last week.  Does anyone know if Rob and Natalie have tokens right now?

1 minute ago, kav said:

He found 1 out of the 4 tokens last week.  Does anyone know if Rob and Natalie have tokens right now?

Nope. All spent. I think we posted at the same time. 😂

Read the post above yours for a token breakdown.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I hate the tokens.  They're just another way to make this season into a popularity contest.  At the end, I'm expecting everyone to give their remaining tokens to Parvati  so she can be in the finals and then the jury can give her the win.  I noticed that everyone watching the EoE challenge was rooting for her.  

My heart sank when I heard the people on the EoE were going to get a third chance. With the exception of Natalie's vote all the TCs have gone the way I wanted them to, but there's no real satisfaction in voting someone out when you know they aren't really out.  It's more like, "The tribe has suggested."

I've watched every episode of Survivor and I prefer the old school game, but I don't want any of the old-schoolers to win because I'm just plain tired of them and their overblown star status. 

I'm glad we're getting down to the ones I'm rooting for, Sara or Sophie, maybe Nick.

I really enjoy Adam's haywire, hilarious game and the way he shares every frantic thought with us.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I’m still salty about Yul’s elimination.  I adore him. That is all.  

Yeah, I was cheering him on and was really disappointed when he lost the return challenge last night.  AAMOF maybe because of his elimination last week I forgot Survivor was on and missed the first few minutes.  (They were well into the return challenge when I finally remembered to tune in.)  Kudos to Tyson for his slow and steady win.  It was pretty suspenseful!

I've been impressed with Sophie's ability to read between the lines and even though I don't remember her from her previous season I'm kind of rooting for her.  I like Jeremy too, first and foremost because he was a firefighter and I'll always root for the first responder.  

5 hours ago, Hera said:

I would love it if people hoarded their fire tokens, thinking that they could cash them in for a huge advantage at Final Four, only to discover that the value of the fire tokens was in front of them all along, and that they suffered without a tarp and blankets for nothing.

Yeah, I'm sure they are hoarding their tokens, thinking about a personal payoff in the end.  It would be great to find out the tokens are worthless at that point.

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I've watched every episode of Survivor and I prefer the old school game, but I don't want any of the old-schoolers to win because I'm just plain tired of them and their overblown star status. 

Yeah, just the fact that the old schoolers were summarily voted out makes the idea that a Rob or a Sandra have anything to teach newbies anymore laughable.  (I still prefer watching the OSs though, they just have more personality.  I don't dislike anyone, not even Ben or Wendell, but they are all bland compared to Rob, Yul, Ethan, Sandra, etc.)

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Kenz said:

Hmm, Sophie had so few clothes on when she was shivering and shaking, then suddenly on the pole she had a shirt and pants on. It's all set up for maximum drama on this show.

And last week she had the shorts that kept appearing/disappearing during the challenge. There's only one reasonable explanation:

Magic.

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

And last week she had the shorts that kept appearing/disappearing during the challenge. There's only one reasonable explanation:

Magic.

Russel Hantz had previously mentioned that they drive up to the challenge in a van (same with tribal council). I imagine most of these players bring their personal belongings with them and production has a crew member retrieve something for them if they need it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Maybe this was part of the edit, but it was interesting that Tony was relaying vote out info from Sophie to Sarah, especially with how tight the 2 girls were at Yara. Tony appears to be doing a lot of leg work by talking to everyone and being a messenger boy, but it does help him keep track of what's going on without trying to lead the vote.

Wonder if Michelle will spend 2 of her fire tokens to send a love letter to Wendell on EoE. She can actually do that twice with her 4 tokens.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, I'm sure they are hoarding their tokens, thinking about a personal payoff in the end.  It would be great to find out the tokens are worthless at that point.

It's worth noting that Tyson's purchase of the peanut butter seems to have paid off. There's something to be said for buying an item that has no strategic value but will strengthen your body.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 7