Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Love Can't Wait

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Does Geoffrey remind anyone else of Paul (of Pole and Karine fame)?  A bit of it is the accent, another bit might be the blue eyes, but there's an underlying lack of being in touch with reality that seems evident to me.

YESSSSS! Thank you for saying that!  I told Mr. AnneMarie that I get strong "Pole" vibes from Geoffrey, but he could NOT see it.  He utterly refuted it solely on the basis that Geoffrey doesn't look like an upright alligator when running...BUT IT'S STILL THERE.

I feel seen and validated, AZChristian...much appreciated. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It is always the way, isn't it?  That will not deter Yolanda, she will believe whatever load of shit she is told and will still be happy when she gets rose icon next to her name and think, next time, true love cannot be stopped.

She is smart enough to take her daughter with her. And also arrange to meet Mr. British Dreamboat in a public place and not meet him alone.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

She is smart enough to take her daughter with her. And also arrange to meet Mr. British Dreamboat in a public place and not meet him alone.

We hope she is smart enough to not go anywhere dodgey...maybe Williams has a friend for the daughter, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, AnnMarie17 said:

YESSSSS! Thank you for saying that!  I told Mr. AnneMarie that I get strong "Pole" vibes from Geoffrey, but he could NOT see it.  He utterly refuted it solely on the basis that Geoffrey doesn't look like an upright alligator when running...BUT IT'S STILL THERE.

I feel seen and validated, AZChristian...much appreciated. 

Well Kentucky and Tennessee share a border.  Maybe they are cousins lol.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I wonder if TLC cast  Yolanda because it's an obvious catfish but also because she is a likable person, unlike Caesar. Like someone to root for.  

and WHY is TLC keep giving spinoffs to the people everyone hates to watch?? First family Chantel and now possibly Darcy and her sister?? I get they want the drama... but ick. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, Spike said:

I guess she could have bought the ticket for him, which would at least mean he couldn’t just spend the money.  I would think a ticket from the UK to Vegas is way more than $300.

I think he told her he was just a few hundred short.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She has already sent him nudes. Apparently very graphic nudes. She was quite explicit about that. Shudder.

And she said that they definitely turned him on, so he must have sent dick pix to her

1 hour ago, DiamondGirl said:

I swear I heard Yolanda say that Williams asked for ticket money,  but she said no, she would come there instead.  So he wanted money to buy a ticket to come here?  That whole piece confused me.

I figured he'd asked for "ticket money" but then something would happen like it would get lost in the process, the airlines would cancel the ticket, etc. or some lame excuse for asking for more, meanwhile pocketing the money. That's the ONE smart thing Yolanda did and Williams probably now has to scramble around thinking of Plan B and how to avoid meeting her in person. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

It's entirely possible for "Williams" to be British, but not have a British accent because there are literally millions of naturalized British citizens. He could be a regular run of the mill catfish--meaning he's less attractive, fatter, and more broke than he originally said he was. This could explain the fake name and use of stock pictures. He might be legitimately interested in her, but afraid she wouldn't be attracted to the real him. That being said, hitting Yolanda up for ticket money isn't a great sign.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Irritable said:

She could step out her front door and throw a rock in any direction and probably hit a man who is a better prospect than whatever is hiding behind those photos of "Williams"

Coltie and Ericie are available.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I really love Family Yolanda. Especially her sons. Is it my imagination or did anyone else think during their talking heads that they were trying to keep from laughing? Guessing they know a lot more than they're allowed to let on at this point. 

Re: the AirBnB, IIRC we sussed out that Darcey was living in an AirBnB her first season (the one that had the kitchen where she cut the meat wrong). It makes sense for people with families on this show to be given alternate residences during filming for all sorts of reasons. 

I would totally watch a show with Yolanda's six kids. I could do without most of the rest of the cast so far (oh, also, I'd like it if Teddy came to live with the Yolanda kids). 

• Love 8

Damn you, 90DF for making me cry!! I felt bad about Geoffrey's story about his 1 year old son. His older sons know he is making rash decisions possibly based in grief . No parent should ever have to go through that. I can't imagine it.  I hope his love story doesn't end in heartache . My opinion is that "Friend" Mary is much prettier than the Russian. 

The best was the Russian friend Olga telling him what it is! I live in the mountains too and hate that I have nowhere to wear all my pretty heels lmao! I don't know how these outdoorsmen find these women who undoubtedly have seen Manhattan etc in the movies and expect that lifestyle. They'd have better luck going to a city and looking for an American trying to get out of it. Or a farmersonly.com

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Ucross said:

ikr? In my day, "dating" meant actually going somewhere to eat, do an activity or socialize. Now it is a euphemism for having sex. 

Also, I think nowadays "I'm talking to xyz" means they're hooking up. 

I haven't watched the episode yet, so I'll probably be back tomorrow. In the meantime, if allowed here, I rented an interesting movie from YouTube called Paradise Love. It tells the story of a 50-year old, single British woman who goes to Kenya for holiday, and her experiences with a few of the native men. Highly recommended. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I couldn't make the Live forum Sunday night, I was so very sad. But not sad enough to not snark! A few top-of-mind comments, and I'm sure I'll follow up with some others:

Yolanda: My cold dead heart doesn't feel bad for her. She's got kids (and probably friends) around her who are telling her that she needs to put her common sense hat on and look at the situation realistically. Yolanda feels that her kids won't accept that their mom is looking to date. I don't think that's the case at all - those kids look like they want their mom to be very happy. They wouldn't oppose her dating someone around town or nearby. The kids realize that she is in for (another) world of heartache. Why don't these people listen? 

And glad to see we are all in agreement: that is NOT a British accent and her comment about how she loves his British accent (then we hear his voice) was absolutely cringe-worthy. I felt such second-hand embarrassment for her. I think "Williams" is code for "Goofballs." Come on! It could happen! That's why his first name is plural, cuz there's a few of Mykool's friends....

So Lisa is a year or two YOUNGER than me. How does she look like that? She looks a lot older than I do, in my humble opinion. And - I get waxed. Never have I had a friend come in and keep me company. And never have I screached like that. She really is Angela 2.0. And just coming out and saying "no condom"? Holy hell woman. What is WRONG with you? 

Darcy: "He said he'd call" (or something like that) while ugly crying. Is she 14 years old? She is a disaster. And looks like a freak of nature. I just can't with her any more. 

More later, fellow snarkers!

• Love 19
1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Re: the AirBnB, IIRC we sussed out that Darcey was living in an AirBnB her first season (the one that had the kitchen where she cut the meat wrong).

She actually told us she had rented an AirBnB specifically for Jesse’s visit because she shared a condo with Stacy. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Spike said:
  4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She has already sent him nudes. Apparently very graphic nudes. She was quite explicit about that. Shudder.

I think she was talking about video chat. So not still photos. Video. OhmydogIjustthrewupinmymouth

1 hour ago, StrongbyDefault said:

Yolanda specifically made a point of going to a puddle over his "British" accent that he clearly does NOT have. 

But she started talking to him in a faux-British accent. Ugh, the whole thing was so cringey.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Dear Yolanda, that is not a British accent.

Dear Big Ed, She's going to notice you lied about your height.  I hope she likes egg salad.

I like Varya.  She's smart enough to make a Hunchback of Notre Dame joke in English.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Me too. My Saturday night lineup was:  “BJ and the Bear”, “Love Boat” and “Fantasy Island”. 

Mykuhl’s favorite show, from what I hear.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

The best was the Russian friend Olga telling him what it is! I live in the mountains too and hate that I have nowhere to wear all my pretty heels lmao! I don't know how these outdoorsmen find these women who undoubtedly have seen Manhattan etc in the movies and expect that lifestyle. They'd have better luck going to a city and looking for an American trying to get out of it. Or a farmersonly.com

I just need to defend East Tennessee for a sec. There's rural, but it's not super spread out, 20 minutes between houses rural.  Knoxville is a pretty big city and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park is a HUGE tourist destination so there are tons of things to do, like Dollywood, and (inexplicably) 1000 pancake houses. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, magemaud said:
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

And she said that they definitely turned him on, so he must have sent dick pix to her

I was imagining video by both...  😮

• LOL 1
15 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

I just need to defend East Tennessee for a sec. There's rural, but it's not super spread out, 20 minutes between houses rural.  Knoxville is a pretty big city and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park is a HUGE tourist destination so there are tons of things to do, like Dollywood, and (inexplicably) 1000 pancake houses. 

I agree.  I have been through Knoxville (nice town!) and it hardly backwoods country.  Will she like it?  Maybe?  But I agree that if you are a woodsman who likes to chop wood, hunt and fish, then perhaps a radio DJ from Moscow is not a match?   I could have done without seeing him shirtless, thanks.  And a scorpion tattoo?  Hard pass......

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Irritable said:

I loved the Russian friend who did not pull any punches whatsoever about why a young Russian woman would do whatever it takes to get to America, and that she is not envisioning a country life in Tennessee, but a glamorous city life that he isn't offering. It gets frustrating to see all of these people get excellent, accurate advice from everyone around them just to completely ignore it and do all the stupid shit anyway.

Absolutely, a SANE and straightforward person.  Really stood out!

• Love 11
7 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

I think there is a genetic issue with Ed. His height, neck size, skin condition,etc. all sound like Klippel-Feil Syndrome .  

I agree. He seems to have a lot of challenges. I hope he doesn’t turn out to be a jerk.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, StrongbyDefault said:

I think the reason for all the "he's not really British" comments is not because his country of residence is necessarily in question (although it kind of is), it's because Yolanda specifically made a point of going to a puddle over his "British" accent that he clearly does NOT have.  

I get that, but the fact that he doesn't have a British accent doesn't mean he's not British. It only means Yolanda is a gullible dope who doesn't know what a British accent sounds like.

My parents were born in a foreign country. My dad has the accent of his birth country.  He's 80; he naturalized in his 20s. My mother was raised in her birth country, the US, Canada, and Great Britain while her parents attended college and grad school and did post graduate work. She sounds American. She naturalized in her 50s. She's only been an American for 20 years.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I also want to say that this show makes me so profoundly grateful that fate didn't have me being born in the Philippines.  They all seem to have such horrible lives and to be dead inside so young.

Just now, HunterHunted said:

I get that, but the fact that he doesn't have a British accent doesn't mean he's not British. It only means Yolanda is a gullible dope who doesn't know what a British accent sounds like.

My parents were born in a foreign country. My dad has the accent of his birth country.  He's 80 he naturalized in his 20s. My mother was raised in her birth country, the US, Canada, and Great Britain while her parents attended college and grad school and did post graduate work. She sounds American. She naturalized in her 50s. She's only been an American for 20 years.

Exactly.  Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, he's been here for decades and his accent is still thick as mud.  I don't know Williams country of origin, I just know the accent isn't British.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah and now she’s paying double so she and her daughter can fly there.  Just say a 40-year-old should be able to handle his own damned ticket.

I would think a last minute ticket would be even more costly. I know it was probably just a contrivance for the story line for the daughter to suddenly out of the blue announce, "oh by the way, I'm going with you next week." In reality the ticket was probably purchased weeks ago and it wasn't some 11th hour surprise to her mother. Then there's the time it takes to get a passport, which about 55% of the population don't have so there's a strong possibility she didn't. Even I let mine expire after my last overseas trip back in 2003 and just renewed it recently for a couple of trips. (Good thing I haven't been in any situations where I suddenly need to leave the country NOW!). I should probably just stop looking for sense and logic in this show...

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

I would think a last minute ticket would be even more costly. I know it was probably just a contrivance for the story line for the daughter to suddenly out of the blue announce, "oh by the way, I'm going with you next week." In reality the ticket was probably purchased weeks ago and it wasn't some 11th hour surprise to her mother. Then there's the time it takes to get a passport, which about 55% of the population don't have so there's a strong possibility she didn't. Even I let mine expire after my last overseas trip back in 2003 and just renewed it recently for a couple of trips. Good thing I haven't been in any situations where I suddenly need to leave the country NOW!

Now if your state ID doesn’t meet federal requirements you need a passport just to fly domestic.

• Love 2
Just now, Spike said:

Now if your state ID doesn’t meet federal requirements you need a passport just to fly domestic.

That's happening here in July. I DID have a passport card so I was at least able to travel by land to Canada and Mexico within the last five years.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kangatush said:

Dear Big Ed, She's going to notice you lied about your height. 

Right? It's gonna be pretty obvious. 

Once upon a time, pre-husband, I was on one of those dating sites and was talking to some dude in the city. He claimed to be 6 feet tall. Okay, works for me! Things progressed, we decided to meet (in a public, neutral place, like you do with these online things) and... he was 5'8" at best. I know, because I'm a hair under 5'11" (he never asked so I never told). My one rule for any date was that he had to be taller than me because I feel like a self-conscious giraffe otherwise. I never saw him for a second date, because I believe that you shouldn't start a relationship based on lies, but I made sure to order dessert that night after dinner since he was picking up the tab. 

The husband is about an inch taller than me, which isn't ideal because I still tower over him in heels but he kinda likes it and I rarely wear heels now anyway. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Once upon a time, pre-husband, I was on one of those dating sites and was talking to some dude in the city. He claimed to be 6 feet tall. Okay, works for me! Things progressed, we decided to meet (in a public, neutral place, like you do with these online things) and... he was 5'8" at best. I know, because I'm a hair under 5'11" (he never asked so I never told).

I always get guys who double down on the lie. I'm 5'9". They meet me and decide that I'm 6'1" or 6'2". That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I couldn't make the Live forum Sunday night, I was so very sad. But not sad enough to not snark! A few top-of-mind comments, and I'm sure I'll follow up with some others:

More later, fellow snarkers!

Glad to see you! We missed you, what a blow we were dealt by your absence! 

58 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree. He seems to have a lot of challenges. I hope he doesn’t turn out to be a jerk.

I think we can already take it as read that he will turn out to be a jerk. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Granny58 said:

Oh dear...my son is only 5'7".

I have a son even shorter than that but he never developed Napoleon Syndrome like his father (my ex-husband). He knows he’s short but, because he has a very high emotional IQ, it hasn’t been a problem in his life. And he never nicknamed himself.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Unless and until I see Lisa start pulling out a pack of cigarettes, her cellphone, and her car keys from her bra, I’ll still think of Grangie as the apex klassy trashy bitch. But it’s close.

IDK, Auntie.  Having yourself shown having a Brazilian wax on a TV show scores a lot of tacky points.

True story - I had to explain to my husband of 55 years what was happening in that scene.  I still haven't been able to pick his jaw up off the floor.  We live a sheltered life.

• LOL 20
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yolanda:  I wanted one of her kids to say, "Look, Mom, we want you to be happy, too!!  We just don't want you to be taken advantage of!"  Him asking for money was a biggie.  She seems very well put together and employed, I am sure she could land a nice man someplace on the west coast!!!

Whenever I hear or read, "I'm sure they can find a nice...." I wonder where are these magical people?

Seriously though, it's not that they can't find anybody, it's that they have an image of what they want.  Yolanda could probably find a man closer to her age, but he won't have a body like Williams (who doesn't sound British at all, AT ALL).  They are all looking for someone hot, not someone average.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Kangatush said:

I also want to say that this show makes me so profoundly grateful that fate didn't have me being born in the Philippines.  They all seem to have such horrible lives and to be dead inside so young.

Exactly.  Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, he's been here for decades and his accent is still thick as mud.  I don't know Williams country of origin, I just know the accent isn't British.

Fun fact: Early on, Arnold worked at keeping his accent, as it made him stand out and had become a trademark.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I figured that but I feel that when they rent someplace we are not getting the authentic person/life.  None of her kids seemed relaxed or at home.  Did we know why Yolanda's husband was locked up?

??? I thought he died of a kidney infection.

I didn't notice where Yolanda was living, I only noticed that she's a fool for believing some dude who probably isn't even in England.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Irritable said:

I'm now a nervous wreck worrying about poor Yolanda.  She is lonely and naïve, has been out of the dating world for 30 years and has no idea what it's really like out there.  I just want to wrap a blanket around her and guide her away from the internet, like you might do to someone who narrowly escaped a house fire. 

Very true.  I didn't hear that Yolanda's husband was in prison, just that he died of kidney failure.  On YouTube there's this talk show called Insight, I think it's from Australia, there's an episode about love scams and it's very interesting and frightening.  It's still on YouTube, it was from 2014; maybe Yolanda should have watched it. 

BTW, Nigerian rap dude doesn't even know that the name Soulja Boy is already taken.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6
On 2/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, kacesq said:

Yay! After a snoozer season of the main show, I hope this season really brings it....

I'm already declaring my hatred for new Angela - just what we need - another pushy, trashy old woman thinking her younger beau loves her and only her (although I suspect Michael is a better actor than Usman)...I am seriously not in the mood, though, for a season of "why are you talking to this witch on insta? Get rid of all this! It's disrespectful to our beautiful onscreen relationship."  Blech.

Oh Yolanda...we are of an age.  Remember when we were younger it took a bit more to impress us than row after row of emojis?  Seriously when did this become the gold standard for romance? All these older ladies who think that a guy who sends a hundred heart emojis means he's the real deal.  It's the absolute least amount of effort.

Big Ed.  We'll see. Love his dog, though.

No way are those "Williams" real pictures! Haha, likely  a model's shots he found in a Bing search.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Very true.  I didn't hear that Yolanda's husband was in prison, just that he died of kidney failure.  On YouTube there's this talk show called Insight, I think it's from Australia, there's an episode about love scams and it's very interesting and frightening.  It's still on YouTube, it was from 2014; maybe Yolanda should have watched it. 

BTW, Nigerian rap dude doesn't even know that the name Soulja Boy is already taken.

He spells it just a LITTLE different.  Ha ha.  That fool knows who Soulja boy is and is hoping to somehow reap the benefits!  Although he does not need to supaman that ho!  Since Lisa is willing to do it without benefit of a condom.

• Love 7