Type keyword(s) to search

S18.04: The Ultimate Upcycle

• Start Topic

On 1/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, dleighg said:

exactly. I agreed with the comment earlier that it can sound like you are saying "it's no problem to do my job." But that's not the intent, so in real life I just let it slide off. It wasn't meant as an insult or as a rude comment, so no need to take it as such. I'm old, so I say "you're welcome" with a smile 🙂

I don’t think anyone takes it as rude.

It used to be used differently. When you would ask someone “are you sure it’s not an imposition to help me move.”  People would say, it’s no problem.      

now “no worries” has replaced “no problem” as a reply.  Stolen from the Australians I think.  

Edited by Lemons
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Lemons said:

Why would they need Karlie for the show?  She is totally replaceable. No talent. 

Considering Heidi Klum was the host for more than 15 seasons, it's pretty clear that PR has a tradition of hiring supermodels to be the host!  Karlie was one of the top models of the 2000s, easily. Out of models from the U.S. she was top 5.

"No problem" means it was no problem doing this for you, so don't sweat yourself thanking me too much.  It's supposed to be incredibly gracious towards the person thanking you, trying to relieve them of their burden of thanking you.  

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

So you would choose not to marry someone you loved and who shared your values, not his family's, because of what other people in his life had done?  It might be an easier choice in some respects, but that's a big price to pay.

Honestly, if it was people like that, yes.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, hoosiermommy said:

There was that one season of Project Runway: Something Or Other (it was two teams with mentors) and Tim was a bully to one of the odd female designers on that show.  He joined the other designers in ganging up on her and ever since then, I felt Tim could take a flying leap off my screen because I don't like mentors who play favorites.  And maybe it's because I am not in fashion, and maybe it is because of editing, but I rarely understood half of what Tim was trying to accomplish with his advice.  It all seemed to boil down to "think about what you're doing" (as if the designer wasn't thinking before?) or "do better!".  He never seemed to give actionable advice.  Christian is able to provide constructive advice and it seems to me to be clear and actionable.

I think it was "Under the Gunn" and I think her name might have been Natalie , or Natalia.  Poor woman.  Tim was AWFUL on that show.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She definitely said slow, not small. This was when she was mocking Dr. Couture by telling him that she had finished her outfit before he did. She then said she’s a fast worker and she doesn’t like slow people. 

I think Delvin responded, "Well you need to build a bridge, and get over it" which was awesome.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Though I prefer "you're welcome", I would never get in a twist over "no problem".  The response that absolutely makes me cringe is "you're good".  

Thank you ignore feature.

I heard that in Texas a lot and it was so confusing at first, but obviously that's just some people's way of being very polite.  It got so adorable to me after that.

Somebody upthread mentioned that Tim is better than Christian because Tim knows design but, uh, I think Christian knows design too.  Just take a glance at his Wikipedia page.  I think his career has been very impressive.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I don't think that Tyler was eliminated because he made that comment--I think he made that comment because he saw the writing on the wall and knew he was almost certain to be eliminated and was lashing out.

I'm glad Shavi didn't go.  I know it's on him that he cut a hole in his fabric, but I still would have been sad if that's what made him go.  I loved him talking about his grandmother and felt for him when he said she doesn't even remember teaching him to sew.  My mom's cognitive abilities have been going for some years (luckily she knows us still, has a great sense of humor, etc.) and I feel like I have to remake myself-as-daughter periodically to relate to the person she is now; and to mourn what is gone, slowly, even while she's still here.  

• Love 22

Again, I hated everything, pretty much. Why was everybody going with dark dull colors and blah neutrals? Only two outfits had any color -- the rest were all funeral colors. Boring!

Victoria's wasn't the worst, but it was far from good. Asymmetry is not a stand-in for an actual point of view. And those enormous shoulders! If the event had been a hootenany, I could just about live with Nancy's skirt, but that top was just gross. From the front it looked wrinkled and shapeless, but the back looked like a toddler got a hold of some fabric and a glue gun. If the event was a mallwalker's convention, Dayoung's would fit right in. The giant denim pants outfit would have worked fine for my 11th grade homecoming dance in 1975. But this was PARIS in 2020! PARIS. Not Grand Rapids.

Who the hell were they designing for? So many of them just grabbed suits and fiddled around with them. No ideas? Make it backwards! With stuff hanging off of it! Give it two collars instead of one! Give it mismatched sleeves! That's innovative? Ugh.

I realize this was meant to really challenge them: take materials from the least fashionable source you can imagine and design something uber cool for the ultimate Fashionista Headquarters. I suspect most of them were psyched out by the fact that they only had one day, then set loose in a sea of worn polyester and aged denim. Yes, it would be tough, and to me it seems obvious that none of these designers were up to the challenge. I honestly thought all three at the bottom would be auf'd.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I don't think that Tyler was eliminated because he made that comment--I think he made that comment because he saw the writing on the wall and knew he was almost certain to be eliminated and was lashing out.

Yeah, he had been on the bottom like 3 times - maybe more?  If the judges had kept him AGAIN it would have looked insane and unfair.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Tyler's outfit was dull and not fashion. It was a sexy librarian outfit from an 80s video. 

Hooo yes. I wore an outfit like that in the late 80s as a snarky teen being a “sassy waitress” while helping my parents with a dinner party. Rocked it right up until one of my giant earrings fell into the spinach dip (you know, the kind in a bowl of hawaiian bread). It was bad and he deserved the auff.

Sergio’s look was very Boston Proper to me (someone else mentioned it looking a bit Victoria’s Secret). Just very...These Boobs Make a Bow, Yo!

Big fan of Nancy and her leap of faith. She does seem to personally go for the Betsey Johnson look and that’s ok I reckon.

Dammit Victoria for having that body ody ody after having a kid. What does she do to get that and that head of hair?  I hope it’s not eating kale. I would do anything for locks, but I won’t do that.

• LOL 13
  • Love 7

LOL.  Sergio actually said something to the effect that he likes to share what he knows because if he dies, what he knows will die with him!  I guess he's the only one who knows things about fashion.

Tyler was doomed right from the beginning when he was talking about his drag persona and Jackie O and how he knew what to do.   Jackie O type is not what this challenge was looking for.  He didn't help his case, not so much with the snark but by doubling down that he thought he had nailed the challenge, which has been a problem for him; not accepting criticism.

It was nice to see Chelsey and Nancy be on the top; I liked both of their looks and I think a model like Karlie could pull it off as far as Paris fashion.  I also liked Geoffrey's.  I had a feeling Victoria would win though I didn't think hers was particularly imaginative but I'm biased because I hate the asymmetry and cut outs.   Hated Sergio's with the boob bow or whatever that was.

I think the judges are getting nastier with every episode, which is a shame as I thought they did so well last season.  Laverne Cox was a good guest judge though - she gave constructive criticism, not just "I would/wouldn't wear that". 

The stylist this episode was great - more of her, please.

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, raven said:

LOL.  Sergio actually said something to the effect that he likes to share what he knows because if he dies, what he knows will die with him!  I guess he's the only one who knows things about fashion.

Tyler was doomed right from the beginning when he was talking about his drag persona and Jackie O and how he knew what to do.   Jackie O type is not what this challenge was looking for. 

It was nice to see Chelsey and Nancy be on the top; I liked both of their looks and I think a model like Karlie could pull it off as far as Paris fashion.  I also liked Geoffrey's.  I had a feeling Victoria would win though I didn't think hers was particularly imaginative but I'm biased because I hate the asymmetry and cut outs.   Hated Sergio's with the boob bow or whatever that was.

I think the judges are getting nastier with every episode, which is a shame as I thought they did so well last season.  Laverne Cox was a good guest judge though - she gave constructive criticism, not just "I would/wouldn't wear that". 

The stylist this episode was great - more of her, please.

I know sewing uses mathematics but I loved the way Sergio made it seem like he should win a Fields Medal because the mathematical calculations for HIS designs are just that complex.

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2020/01/pop-style-opinionfest-project-runway-goes-viral/

Tom and Lorenzo’s take on the episode and designs complete with pictures. For the record, they were not impressed with Sergio.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Sorry.  She's married to a Kushner.  He's a long time democrat.   I don't think Tyler did anything wrong.  Like it or not, she's part of that family.  No need for the dagger eyes.

Wait.  There's a Melanie?   The blond.

Loved the stylist. 

Can't stand Sergio.

There were some pretty bad designs.

I wished Nancy won because......I just like her and her design was great and she's a woman who is 'older' and had the courage to start a new career.

I actually hated ALL the looks...…..that is a first for me.   I will give Nancy a pass, as I think she had an interesting look and I have enjoyed her other designs.    Would not give her a win for this one, but the others did not deserve one either as far as I saw.   Glad she got some recognition before end of the season.  I like her and think she had some class.  Maybe it is just because she is older and more experienced in dealing with people?  Don't know..... don't care.   I just like her

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ichbin said:
7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Has there ever been a winner who didn't go to fashion/art/design school?

The first one that comes to mind is Anya from Season 9. I will never understand how that happened.

Pretty sure it was she was beautiful and had great style and a story and the producers really wanted her. It seemed pretty clear the fix was in. (That was the last Lifetime season I watched...)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think it was "Under the Gunn" and I think her name might have been Natalie , or Natalia.  Poor woman.  Tim was AWFUL on that show.

I think Delvin responded, "Well you need to build a bridge, and get over it" which was awesome.

Yes, Under The Gunn. I don’t remember her name, but I can’t even listen to Tim Gunn on Sophia the First wi hour getting upset. He lost ALL credibility with that BS.

• Love 5

Tyler wasn't stuck in the anger phase of grief, he hadn't finished with denial (the first) yet.  From the first time I watched PR with my daughter, we both figured out that the designers should LISTEN TO TIM.  In this case, Tyler had repeatedly ignored advice from Christian, from the judges, from this week's mentor, and even other (more successful) contestants.  Sure you can do that, but then you ought not be surprised when you fall flat on your face.

I am really enjoying how much more relaxed and natural both Karlie and Christian are this season.  They must have been trying their hardest to be irreproachable last season.  It's great to see Christian's sardonic wit on display again, and Karlie is able to joke without it being painful now.  

So, a number of seasons back, Nina pushed hard all season for the granny-pants designer Gretchen, who won in the end.  This season, Brandon says he doesn't want to look at a design that looks like a diaper, and that designed is sent home.  Awk-ward.  I giggled more than was seemly at that.  Hard to know which win bugged me most, her or Anya.  At least Anya seemed to have a decent personality.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Hmm - why do I keep thinking Sergio will get the Christian 'save' in the future?

Fills in  many holes doesn't it....

Dear God    I hope not.  Did you not know that this gig is below Sergio, with all his talent?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I agree that Nancy was smart to take advantage of this opportunity, and I did not like the shot of Carla smirking at the camera after one of the questions. Fuck off, lady. That’s supposedly why you’re there. 

I also did not appreciate the gasps of shock when Nancy revealed her age on the runway. Good god! You mean she’s still functional and allowed near sewing equipment unsupervised?! Hope she packed the Depends. 

Was surprised also about Karla's reaction to the question because I thought that was her purpose for being there?    She knew more about the subject matter and would be helpful in making decisions with regard to colors, fabric, etc.    I guess I just did not understand her participation.

• Love 3
On 1/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, Thumper said:

I thought using double-sided tape was a no-no on PR.

I recall, in a Tim Gunn interview he stated that they couldn't use double-sided tape, it was rule in the old version of the show. For reasons he said, something about that you can't tell the construction of the garment if it's taped to the body. (True, dat Tim. Don't defend the shoe!)

The rule is evidenced by a "scandal" in Season 8 Episode 11 with Ivy and Michael where she accused him of cheating by using tape.

https://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/819017/project-runway-recap-a-cheating-scandal/

https://ew.com/recap/project-runway-season-8-episode-11/

They must have changed this rule for this new reboot. 

I agree with Tim. It shouldn't be used. Where is the line drawn?

Though from a production standpoint I can see the Show not wanting a boob to fall out or something, it probably makes the models more comfortable. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, oceanview said:

Was surprised also about Karla's reaction to the question because I thought that was her purpose for being there?    She knew more about the subject matter and would be helpful in making decisions with regard to colors, fabric, etc.    I guess I just did not understand her participation.

I think it was the number of times Nancy asked questions ("I'm back!" "I'm back!") No one else seemed to be seeking Karla out for help so many times. Or at least editing made it seem that way.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

yeah the suits were $29.99. I thought I saw the reference to jeans price but couldn't find it on rewatching.

I’ve been to that Goodwill.  It’s a newer store and they staged it for the show although it is spacious for a second hand store.  Jeans are $10  - $30 per pair depending on the brand.  

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Even if I had a body like a supermodel I would never wear this.

nup-187539-1334-jpg-1578079816.jpg.09105974c98b8bff33f6c8d5fbfda572.jpg

This model looks like Bambi walking for the first time.  Really, a deer in the headlights.

I don't understand why the models all had to have a Karlie body AND BLONDE HAIR ON TOP OF IT.

What kind of limited IQ Karlie must have that she cannot picture herself in designs unless the model looks like her?  I found the whole thing very annoying, especially when the designers and Christian fawned "Karlie, Karlie, Karlie" at the models.  Ughhhh!!!

Meanwhile if the models all resembled Queen Latifah or Salma Hayek or Alek Wek or someone non-white and non-stick thin and non 6 feet THEN I could get on board.  It's just that soooooo many models are already Karlie's type it was so annoying to have everyone act like it was some amazing thing.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This model looks like Bambi walking for the first time.  Really, a deer in the headlights.

I don't understand why the models all had to have a Karlie body AND BLONDE HAIR ON TOP OF IT.

What kind of limited IQ Karlie must have that she cannot picture herself in designs unless the model looks like her?  I found the whole thing very annoying, especially when the designers and Christian fawned "Karlie, Karlie, Karlie" at the models.  Ughhhh!!!

Meanwhile if the models all resembled Queen Latifah or Salma Hayek or someone non-white and non-stick thin THEN I could get on board.  It's just that soooooo many models are already Karlie's type it was so annoying to have everyone act like it was some amazing thing.

I also hated how they had the models all line up before exiting the workroom. They obviously just wanted another shot of the Karlie Klone army. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, hoosiermommy said:

He joined the other designers in ganging up on her and ever since then, I felt Tim could take a flying leap off my screen because I don't like mentors who play favorites. 

That did it for me too. I was never able to view him the same way I did earlier after Under the Gunn.  I don’t miss him. Besides,  Christian is doing a better job as his replacement. 

• Love 17
47 minutes ago, ichbin said:

That did it for me too. I was never able to view him the same way I did earlier after Under the Gunn.  I don’t miss him. Besides,  Christian is doing a better job as his replacement. 

That began my intense dislike of Tim Gunn.  I thought he was charming before then, but he showed his true colors there and ever since, I couldn’t stand him.  Christian is a great mentor...he’s been through the process, he’s an extremely successful designer, and he’s both charming and witty.

• Love 11

I really liked the idea of this challenge, but the designers didn’t execute it very well. 

Brittany’s sleeves and the huge difference in skirt panel length were really unattractive.

Chelsey’s would have been more appropriate with less-faded denim, which I am sure is more difficult to find at a Goodwill. It made the model look kind of slovenly. I didn’t understand the Y strap in the back. Too much exposed chest. But I like Chelsey’s personality.

Nancy was genuinely happy and excited for Victoria when she won!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Considering Heidi Klum was the host for more than 15 seasons, it's pretty clear that PR has a tradition of hiring supermodels to be the host!  Karlie was one of the top models of the 2000s, easily. Out of models from the U.S. she was top 5.

responding to

7 HOURS AGO, LEMONS SAID:

Why would they need Karlie for the show?  She is totally replaceable. No talent. 

Did some IMDB investigating...

Heidi was an Exec Producer on the show from it's start in 2004-2017 (not every single episode but almost all of them) and Karlie is an EP now in the 2.0 version. So they are and were more than just hosts.

EP can mean a lot of different things, levels of involvement (sometimes it's name cred, other times it's $, most often I think it means they are actually making the show come to be) so I'm told by people in the biz, but it is definitely more than the hired help. 

To compare, in the new reboot, Nina is a consulting producer and Brandon is an associate producer. Nina isn't listed with any kind of producer credit in the 2004-2017 shows. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What kind of limited IQ Karlie must have that she cannot picture herself in designs unless the model looks like her? 

Oh, I didn't think they were just using the design, I think she actually wore the physical item made by the designer so it had to fit her. Thus all the models had very close measurements to hers.

I would hope so too! For a zero-waste challenge theme that would be super tacky to remake it out of other material. 

Edited by Refresh
added the reply the reply was to. in case that clears things up.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I also hated how they had the models all line up before exiting the workroom. They obviously just wanted another shot of the Karlie Klone army. 

I hate that on runways, too, when the models come Centipeding in and out. Ugh. 

• Love 2

I actually loved Victoria’s look and thought it looked great on Karlie. I was happy she won.

i miss Heidi as host though, and I agree with the person who said Christian’s comments seem more about keeping the camera on him than offering constructive feedback to the designers.

when one of the designers said ‘she’s literally the bee’s knee’ I cringed a lot. Ugh. Can we please kill ‘literally’ used incorrectly? And also the use of the word ‘hashtag’ in verbal communication?

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Refresh said:

Oh, I didn't think they were just using the design, I think she actually wore the physical item made by the designer so it had to fit her. Thus all the models had very close measurements to hers.

I would hope so too! For a zero-waste challenge theme that would be super tacky to remake it out of other material. 

That does not explain why the models had to be blonde and white.

29 minutes ago, Refresh said:

Did some IMDB investigating...

Heidi was an Exec Producer on the show from it's start in 2004-2017 (not every single episode but almost all of them) and Karlie is an EP now in the 2.0 version. So they are and were more than just hosts. 

My post that you're quoting was defending Karlie against the charge that she is talentless.  I was not making light of her hosting the show.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Gloriosa said:

I think the suits were a good base for creating new garments, but kind of wish fewer people had used them.  I think they probably had better fabric than some of the other items in the store.

I agree. I've been thinking about this too. I wonder if the thinking was that everyone knows there are going to be lots of suits, men's dress shirts and jeans at Goodwill. So from a time standpoint you can plan on them (since they had to design in the van). Versus designing something and hoping you can find stretchy black sequins or something gauzy and maybe striking out?

Wonder if the brief said she liked suits and denim?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Snewtsie said:

I wonder if Karli's dagger eyes were real or were edited in. Her initial reaction was shock & awkward laughter at the brazenness of Tyler's question, so I'm not entirely convinced she went from that to immediate contempt.  Her narrowed stare could have been from listening to another designer explain their outfit.  It appeared to me that he was trying to lighten the moment with humor while defending his look - but it really was terribly inappropriate of him.  Regardless of who she is married to, that's her personal life and it has nothing to do with the challenge he was designing for.  She married into a notorious family which has never embraced her as being good enough for them.  I feel for her, and I suspect his remark hit a nerve.  In any event, it was really bad form of him. I'm not sad to see him go because he never really designed anything that can be called Fashion, he was consistently resistant to Christian's advice, and he seemed overly focused on criticizing other designers and/or outfits.  There is a lot he could have learned if he had just opened himself up more.

How do you know that the Kushners have "never embraced [Karlle] as being good enough for them"? One would need to be privy to the internal  family dynamics, no? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

How do you know that the Kushners have "never embraced [Karlle] as being good enough for them"? One would need to be privy to the internal  family dynamics, no? 

It’s been well documented that there is friction between the Kushners and Kloss.  

Article

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
Add link
  • Love 3

Yes, Tyler’s look was terrible and his dig at Karlie’s in-laws cringey, but worse was his repeated invoking of some look characterized by “Montauk, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard.” 

Has he ever been to those places, or is he just a kid from Wyoming fantasizing about what East Coast upper class people wear and where they live?  Mainland Cape Cod, outside of certain wealthy pockets, is not a particularly affluent region nor one known for fancy parties. And Montauk is fairly basic, especially compared with other areas of Long Island, like the rest of the Hamptons. 

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
grammar
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Tyler's outfit was dull and not fashion. It was a sexy librarian outfit from an 80s video. It wasn't Martha's Vineyard or East Coast. And that wasn't the brief anyway.

He didn't adhere to the brief and most importantly, he didn't make fashion; he made clothes. A sleeveless tuxedo shirt with a ruffled front is literally a shirt that I've owned a couple of times. I had one from Target in black a number of years ago. Tyler's was slightly more fashion-y, but the reality is that you can google sleeveless ruffle front tuxedo shirt and black and white color block skirt and find something substantially similar for a reasonable price.

10 hours ago, StellarJay said:

I guess I’m in the minority because I loved Chelsea’s high waisted jeans. They would have looked great on any long legged model. I agree they seemed too casual for the event. However as Nina said ( paraphrasing here) Denim is considered quintessential American. Nancy’s outfit was fun and flirty. I liked the sleeves on the winning design ( Victoria?) but am not a fan of asymmetric look. But her design seemed more appropriate for the occasion. 

The CFDA Americans in Paris cocktail party is such a typical red carpet/press event. Girls are dressed to the nines and the guys are at four. I do think the denim was not appropriate for Karlie for that event. I do think there is probably someone who could have worn it to the event with a great pair of shoes, jacket, and jewelry and it would have worked, but that person isn't Karlie.

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Meanwhile if the models all resembled Queen Latifah or Salma Hayek or Alek Wek or someone non-white and non-stick thin and non 6 feet THEN I could get on board.  It's just that soooooo many models are already Karlie's type it was so annoying to have everyone act like it was some amazing thing.

The Karlie models were probably more for the designers. There have definitely been issues where a designer picks a color that looked great on their model of color, but terrible on the celebrity client. I'm actually fully in favor of casting similarly sized and complexion models for future celebrity client challenges. 

10 hours ago, hoosiermommy said:

There was that one season of Project Runway: Something Or Other (it was two teams with mentors) and Tim was a bully to one of the odd female designers on that show.  He joined the other designers in ganging up on her and ever since then, I felt Tim could take a flying leap off my screen because I don't like mentors who play favorites.  And maybe it's because I am not in fashion, and maybe it is because of editing, but I rarely understood half of what Tim was trying to accomplish with his advice.  It all seemed to boil down to "think about what you're doing" (as if the designer wasn't thinking before?) or "do better!".  He never seemed to give actionable advice.  Christian is able to provide constructive advice and it seems to me to be clear and actionable.

I remember Under The Gunn. Tim was horrid. He was also pretty peevish and sour in season 14 too.

Part of the reason Tim's advice often came across as vague and kind of confusing is because Tim's actual discipline was sculpture. He started at Corcoran and moved over to Parsons in the 80s. Tim had been at Parsons for a long time. He helped to revamp the curriculum and was a fantastic administrator. He has a good memory for past collections by notable fashion visionaries, but everything the designers are attempting to do on Project Runway are things he has no personal experience with. This is probably why his advice was often quite vague and macro.

By and large, the Lifetime seasons were abysmal. The talent casting was fairly mediocre. The producing wavered between barely sufficient and horrific. It's an absolute tragedy that some contestants towards the end of the Lifetime run figured out how many people would present at Fashion Week and would give up about halfway through the competition knowing they were going to present among the decoy collections. They'd get the same amount of money to create a collection. They'd get press too. They didn't get a chance at the prize money, but they got a couple of weeks to decompress in the sequester-ville hotel and a jump on designing their collection. It's the reason that many of the decoy collections had been better than the finalists for 5 or 6 seasons. More than anything, the judging on Lifetime was garbage. The Lifetime seasons might have been more light, but they were pretty terrible and had lost a ton fashion credibility.

Top Chef has had dumb product placement gimmicks and some seasons with weak talent pools, but the judging has always been stellar. And sometimes they have been really fucking mean, but it's not like Tom telling a chef that their dish wasn't up to standards, didn't really taste good, and wasn't as inventive as the chef believes they are is any less harsh than a bunch of Top Chef fans posting legitimate reviews that the food was shockingly mediocre or those patrons posting nothing, but deciding to never go there again. However, the judging hasn't changed too much on Top Chef and that's another reason why it's still well respected.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

As a person whose horrific in-laws hated her guts, I kind of feel for Karlie on that front. Dinner with my in-laws or jumping in a frozen lake naked ten times? I go for the lake every single time.

I would rather walk barefoot across a frozen lake of Legos than have dinner with my in-laws.  Hey BLACKBERRY, how about the next time one of our in-laws are in town, you and I can ditch them and go to a spa?

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Refresh said:

EP can mean a lot of different things, levels of involvement (sometimes it's name cred, other times it's $, most often I think it means they are actually making the show come to be) so I'm told by people in the biz, but it is definitely more than the hired help. 

EP also means different things in TV and movies, though this is changing. In movies, EPs  often are recognizable names who also may have a monetary investment but not much other involvement. In TV, they’ve been more hands on,  but this is changing and TV EPs are now also often just names or investors. 

• Love 4

When PR requires the designers to deconstruct garments to make fabric, they really should have made this a 2-day challenge. A lot of the "finished" garments looked HomeEc 101.

I missed Karlie in the winning outfit because I turned the TV off after Tyler was offed. I'll have see if I can dig up a picture of it. Of the top 3, it was the one I thought was the winner not that it was anything special.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, dleighg said:

yeah the suits were $29.99. I thought I saw the reference to jeans price but couldn't find it on rewatching.

And rewatching to check that I saw Tyler said he is "perpetually perched" whatever the hell that means.

it seemed like the outfit Karli wore had more midriff showing 

It’s possible the outfit was adapted afterwards. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I think he made an outfit he thought would be worn by stodgy women trying to fit in with what he thinks of as classy, good people (like him -- not that I think so, but he thinks he is). I know he said he liked it, but I'm not sure I believe him. I agree that he saw the writing on the wall, realized it wasn't a good enough outfit for Paris and wanted to say that even though it was boring it was more than good enough for her low-class in-laws, and that they -- and her because she married into the family -- would never be as classy and upstanding as he is. I think he meant to be bitchy and funny, but failed on the funny, as he has failed on the funny in everything else he has said. He might as well have said, "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge," in all his talking heads (except that he is nowhere near as funny as the original).

• Love 5
14 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Further discussion of "Thank you" and its various responses should be taken to the Small Talk thread.

Thank You So Much GIF by chuber channel

Knew this was coming, lol.  Sorry for my part in it.

14 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Agree

• Love 3
On 1/3/2020 at 12:00 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I agree. I think Brendan enjoys delivering b- - - -y one-liners. 

He's definitely meaner this season. It's like when a Real Housewife returns for a second season; they tighten up their look and manufacture a persona that was less genuine than first season's, but aimed at their fandom audience. 

On 1/3/2020 at 1:07 AM, dmeets said:

I’m going to miss Tyler and how he wasn’t here for Sergio’s bullshit.

It was his one redeeming quality. I would have preferred if Tyler directed his shade more to Sergio than Karlie.

On 1/3/2020 at 4:12 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I must not be plugged into 'fashion' because I don't get what was so objectionable about Tyler's outfit. The judges acted ridiculously shocked and horrified as if they were personally offended by his choice of fabric and design, snarky comments aside. Challenging him for standing behind his garment, where they expecting him to break down and [metaphorically] fling himself at their feet, weeping and wailing?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the judges were disproportionately outraged at pre-Kushner-comment Tyler. Yes, it was a boring outfit--particularly for a model attending a fashion-forward event. However, it wasn't worth the handwringing as each judge tried to out-bitchy-comment the others. They acted like it was the End of Fashion As We Know It..🙄

22 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I always laughed when they had to do the "design something for Heidi" challenge because ... I mean, Heidi kind of has bad taste. It's not just the minidress thing (I have long legs, I rock minis), it's just in general, "I question her taste level," to quote the show.

"I question your taste level" is a rather handy sentence. I've applied it to a wide range of situations. 

17 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would like to know one bit of knowledge that Sergio possesses that nobody else does, a pearl of unmatched wisdom that would die along with him if he didn't share it.  Just one.

He knows how to package condescension, talent, and blinding lack of self-awareness in the body of a designer. If it weren't for Sergio, would we even know how awesome Sergio believes Sergio is?

Edited by Vanderboom
  • LOL 14
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I wasn’t thrilled with Victoria’s winning look either, but when they showed the pics of Karli wearing it, with edgy hair and makeup, I got it.  I just wished they showed a bigger photo to give us a better look.

They quickly flashed a couple of tilted, small, dark photos with dramatic lighting for a reason. Karlie's edgy hair & makeup helped, for sure, but I wasn't a huge fan of the look in general.  I thought the top part was sort of boxy & bulky. 

• Love 5
On 1/2/2020 at 10:23 PM, Thumper said:

LOL. I had to google that; I’m out of the loop!  I don’t think his outfit “fit” the Paris scene, but it was sort of “ladies who lunch” vibe and I’m not sure what he said was so awful.  Is Karlie trying to hide who she is married to??? 

I would. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

That was so obnoxious.

26 minutes ago, Lady J said:

I knew Tyler was out the minute that fugly outfit walked the runway. 🤮

It wasn't fugly. It was just boring. Nearly everything else on the runway was fugly, though.

• Love 8
On 1/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, dbell1 said:

Victoria is growing on me, but she needs to break out of the bombshell sex kitten designing.

I agree.  All of the garments she has sent down the runway have been identical.  It is all she can do.  If they get a real red carpet challenge, she'll be toast.

If they get their fabric at Good Will, do the garments get cleaned first?  My impression of Good Wills are that the garments get donated, they put them on hangars, and then they are sold.  I clean everything I get there before using.

And, since I am the only person who seems to remember:  Heidi Klum had the original idea for the show, got it developed, got sponsors, and got it on the air.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7