Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E08: Jennifer Lopez/DaBaby

• Start Topic

Cold Open: Open with NATO laughing at Trump. So we got Jimmy Fallon, Paul Rudd, and James Cordon as Trudeau, Macron, and Boris Johnson, respectively. Gotta love the audience cheering for Kate McKinnon as Angela Merkel, everyone is just accustomed to cameos at this point. Oh my god sneaking in a slam at Peloton with Melania was great. Although I wish that was a full commercial.

Monologue: It's been a while since JLo hosted. What, 17 years? And STILL wearing The Dress? (Not even the same one). Honestly, I was loving the suit. Now THIS was a good musical monologue. Beck's head exploding was weird, though.

HGTV's Surprise Home Makeover: Matt Shatt apparently divorced Margot Robbie and married JLo. A Smurfs fan managed to hook up with her and Kenan CANNOT believe it.

The Roadie: YES! It's Chad! I was saying "PLEASE let the roadie be Chad!" 

What Do You Figure Is Going On In That House?: This was definitely most of TCM's programming summed up in one sketch. This was cray as hell, but in a good way. Essentially, we get it, JLo is hot, and unlike most of the pretty faced hosts, she's actually a talented comedic actor! Can there be other sketches? "Groaning" like a toad almost made Kate and Aidy break. Loved seeing the credits roll the second Beck walked in and screamed "HER!"

Them Trumps: Kenan's Trump is way better than Alec Baldwin's Trump. I'm honestly surprised Darius Trump hadn't been impeached like a dozen times by now. (Because I'm sure that was the premise of the other sketches)

WU: Kate is yet another politician, but man her Nancy Pelosi is so weird. Speaking of which, Jules was back and he was so delightfully weird.

"Peloton: You'd Better Keep It Tighter Than The Babysitter." God DAMN.

Carolers: Pete in a live sketch?! What madness is this?! This was an odd one. It was weird that all their songs were about Home Alone...then it turned out to be a over for DaBaby robbing the house.

Hoops: Now this is the good kind of silly I've been waiting for. Trashy earrings: the commercial.

PottyPM: I feel like Kyle would actually be using this. Yep, loved that he had no answer for JLo for this.

Hardware Store: JLo trying to speak with a midwestern accent seemed like premise enough here. The camera angle at the beginning was really off. Even the fake bear couldn't really save this.

Barry's Bootcamp: Oh look, a repeat of the SoulCycle sketch. But the more Bowen Yang in a sketch, the better.

"Date? My mom is marrying your dad." That was so weird and random.

Jennifer Lopez did her best, but this was just "meh" at best. And DaBaby...what the hell was I watching? The dancing was pretty good, though.

• Love 11

Eh, this one wasn't very good. The main theme seemed to be J Lo is really HOT, and we all already knew that.

J Lo was fine with what they gave her to do. But I still felt like she was going through the motions just to be done with it.

• Love 16

I kind of loved Paul Rudd as Macron, but as a Canadian it felt super strange to see bilingual Trudeau respond to him entirely in English. Jimmy's impression wasn't especially evocative of Trudeau even in English. I don't know if he has any capacity for French though.

• Love 12

Meh is a good description.  I laughed more than I did during the last show (I think it was the last show...), but nothing really came together.  J-Lo was good.  DaBaby was definitely weird.  I think Dem Trumps was better the last time.  And this Chad sketch wasn't as good as previous ones.  But, I didn't hate the show.  So that's...something. 

• Love 7

If I looked as gorgeous as JLo, I would ‘Tiffany Hadish’ that green dress all over the place, too.

That discarded Peloton motto that Jost mentioned during Weekend Update made me laugh quite a bit (“You’d better keep it tighter than the babysitter.”)

During the HGTV segment, I was waiting for an explanation about what happened to Matt Schatt’s first wife (Margot Robbie).  It was taking me out of the sketch, then a quote from 30 Rock came to mind about trying to bring logic to the “Robot Bear” sketch, and I let it go. 

The Cold Open was probably my favorite of the season.  Liked the “Impeach Me” sign, liked the concept and liked seeing James Corden turn up (I know he’s promoting Cats, but still fun to see another network late night host show up here).

• Love 5

I actually blanked on who James Corden was in the cold open. I don't think he's ever appeared on the show before, so I never expected him to do a political impression on here. I imagine Seth watching at home saying "Really?!?!". The best part of that was definitely mocking Melania's "Be Best" campaign.

I will also say despite how singing monologues are so unpopular, that was the best part of the monologue.  J Lo seemed nervous as hell going through her lines, and it was very obvious they pushed the applause button after she said she had a blessed year. The audience was dead silent for a beat.

I groaned when Jules came out on Update. I remember not liking that character before, but he was better this time.

I actually like Chad, too. Can't help wondering if Pete is really kinda like that on all his dates.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

JLo is certainly gorgeous, but how many skits were centered around that? One would have been enough. That said, she was funny in the black and white sketch where the sisters tried to hide her, but like Cinderella, she got the man. 

Why wasn't she the musical guest, as well? I don't think she's a good singer, but for her to host and not be the musical guest seems to be admitting it. 

I thought the Kyle bathroom sketch was funny. I love his humor. 

• Love 8

Cold open: SNL gets criticism for cameos, so the very next cold open is FOUR cameos, with the first glimpse of a cast member being a bit where he's told to get out as he's uncool. The years come and go, but SNL's response to these matters always remains, "Screw you." I was glad to see Chloe get...a line, and Alex Moffat was funny (the best thing about the cold open), and it wasn't all dead, and...um...based on the casting of Paul Rudd as Macron, presumably someone agrees with me he's more attractive than Trudeau, so...the positives?

Monologue - JLo certainly has had a year to brag about, and using SNL to do so is a choice to make. I kept waiting for the jokes, but it was nice to see the Rockettes. I felt a spiritual connection to the gum-chewing woman in the audience who looked annoyed at the lap-sitting.

Them Trumps - These are always so short, which is wiser than the padded cold opens, but I wish the moments at the rally had gotten a little darker. Great work from Chris, Ego and Kenan - my favorite part was "Darius Jr" holding up his book.

Update #1 Nothing especially original here (the Trudeau blackface joke was all over Twitter all week), but Jost and Che were in good form - lots of cheap laughs, which for me is the best use of Update. The breast milk, Catholic and Peloton jokes were probably my favorites

Update #2 SNL has never known what to do with Nancy Pelosi (for years the jokes were just that her eyes go wide). This, fortunately, had a much tighter focus, and Kate was fine. Probably their 'best' Pelosi bit. I still would have trimmed a minute or so. The best part was the part where Jost said her prayers were passive-aggressive and she said some were aggressive-aggressive.

Update #3  Jules is an overused trope in comedy, but he amuses me. While this was weaker than his very funny Oscar commentary, I still thought it was a decent, and all too rare showcase for Beck Bennett.

Hot Wife: I wouldn't have brought back Matt Schatt, as the "why does he have a hot wife" joke mostly works only once, but I actually enjoyed this more than the original. The flow was better, and some bits (like Beck assuming she was visually impaired) cracked me up.

Corporal: Another Kate and Aidy special. I liked the idea of this (the attempts at making JLo less 'hot' continuously backfiring) but they could have lost several minutes by cutting out some of the vamping and mugging.

Carolers: Heidi Gardner was in good form as the irritated wife. Poor Alex stuck with the states-the-obvious role. The Bone Thugs & Harmony verse was terrific. Overall this felt like an Andy Samberg sketch taken out of the back of a cabinet for JLo's return.

Chad: These reached a natural conclusion with his reunion with D-adam Sandler (groan), but this was...OK. (groan) It was interesting to see him go back to being more verbal, as he was in the first Chad (with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss). These also hit different when you think of Pete's own love life.

Hoops: Another example of JLo getting similar sketches in her hosting stints, as this was Tina Tenuse 2.0, with Melissa Villasenor (in a well-deserved and rare showcase) taking over for Jenny Slate. Decent, if not great. Alex Moffat was kind of hot as the sleazebag.

Bear: Memorable mostly as an example of SNL's current caste system - Cecily and Kate in comic roles, Heidi in a straight role, and Chloe making the most out of a silent part. This is one of those shaky sketches some might try to "save" by breaking. I'm glad they didn't.

Soulcycle 2.0: Bowen Yang is in great shape; the sketch itself felt sloppy, lacking the clean transitions of the first. I liked the individual 'turns' (JLo had some great lines) but it was hard to combine them. Ego and Mikey felt out of place, as Ego and Alex did last time.

Potty PM: Saving this to last as it was my favorite of the night, w/a twist that felt natural. One of the best performances from JLo in her 3 hosting gigs. Kyle Mooney keeps finding new avenues in awkwardness, somehow. He continues to be one of the highlights of this season

Final thoughts: JLo's episodes tend to have a pattern - workmanlike, with a few standout moments. They also tend to have heavy recurring focus (even though this era isn't normally very recurring heavy). If I had to rank I'd say 2001, then 2010 and 2019 are about the same. The best part of this episode for me was the use of the cast, along with Potty PM, Update, and maybe the Schatt sketch. Nothing really bad. I still have the same issues as usual with unfocused writing and the sloppy cold opens, but that's not going to change anytime soon. B-/C+

2 hours ago, Arkay said:

JLo is certainly gorgeous, but how many skits were centered around that? One would have been enough. That said, she was funny in the black and white sketch where the sisters tried to hide her, but like Cinderella, she got the man. 

Why wasn't she the musical guest, as well? I don't think she's a good singer, but for her to host and not be the musical guest seems to be admitting it. 

I thought the Kyle bathroom sketch was funny. I love his humor. 

She was the musical guest in her last two hosting episodes. She doesn't seem to focus as much on music lately - either that or SNL wanted someone 'hotter' in that spot.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Monologue: It's been a while since JLo hosted. What, 17 years? And STILL wearing The Dress? (Not even the same one). Honestly, I was loving the suit. Now THIS was a good musical monologue. Beck's head exploding was weird, though.

She hosts every 9 years...I imagine it's just a coincidence, but any who are devoted to numerology may have other theories. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Ok, show. Some of you think JLo is attractive. Got it. What I learned was she is more attractive in still photos than in live action. Also? She is taller than I expected. 

Another Empire reference? Still don’t get it. Neither did the audience. 

Da Baby is named... Kirk? Or does he really like Star Trek? Look out, DaBaby! It’s f society!

”Keep it tighter than the babysitter.” Heh.

What was Jules? A PC hipster?

The carolers skit seemed stereotypical. Fully expect social media outrage on that one.

I guess some things aren’t allowed to be for only some people anymore.

Some weird camera angles on the hardware store skit. What a strange take on Wisconsin.

• Love 5

Well that was just a reminder to us all that JLO is so pretty and never ages.  We get it! I’d be more impressed if she did a skit sans makeup and then we can do the whole ageless wonder angle. This show has had tons of beautiful actresses on, I don’t recall anyone getting this many references to her outward appearance. Dababy wins for stupidest name.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Regarding DaBaby's performances -- what ... the hell ... was that ?
The upside-down twerker, the creepy group of anonymous dancers who appeared to rip off their moves from BTS, the smartphone throwing, the knocking on a tall door, the repeated driving the car pose, the weird crotch fist-pounding -- plus you couldn't really understand the lyrics.  Something about 'eating the meal on my plate' in the first song -- WTF ?  There really wasn't anything original about DaBaby's portion of the act -- plus, there were 18 people on stage at one point in the first song.

Kenan (as the HGTV host): "He's into Smurfs !"
Just the way Kenan said it made me laugh.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, vb68 said:

also say despite how singing monologues are so unpopular, that was the best part of the monologue.  J Lo seemed nervous as hell going through her lines, and it was very obvious they pushed the applause button after she said she had a blessed year. The audience was dead silent for a beat.

She really did seem nervous. Also, the whole monologue seemed to be about how gorgeous, successful and youthful she was. I kept waiting for some kind of irony or self-deprecation, but nope. Just more self-backpatting. Weird. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Yikes, that was not great. J Lo had energy for days but I didn't laugh much.

I liked the first Matt Schatt skit much better (when he was married to Margot Robbie and wore crocs w/ socks), and while the late 90s/early 00s carolers very much spoke to my musical heart - I *cackled* at the City High joke - I was actually really annoyed that they chose to end it with them fulfilling the racial stereotyping. There had to have been better and smarter ways to close that one out, with or without the musical guest.

The highlight, as almost always, was Aidy and Kate riffing off of each other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

She really did seem nervous. Also, the whole monologue seemed to be about how gorgeous, successful and youthful she was. I kept waiting for some kind of irony or self-deprecation, but nope. Just more self-backpatting. Weird. 

I wonder if that's in her contract....I kind of laughed at the audience response to J-Lo's monologue. There was some awkward moments there.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

It's been a while since JLo hosted. What, 17 years? And STILL wearing The Dress?

I went ahead and looked it up because I could swear it was her third time as host, and she did host in February of 2010.

6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

SNL has never known what to do with Nancy Pelosi (for years the jokes were just that her eyes go wide).

Kristin Wiig actually did a superb Pelosi. It was one of my favorite impressions that she did. I don't think Kate's impression is that good.

6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

She was the musical guest in her last two hosting episodes. She doesn't seem to focus as much on music lately - either that or SNL wanted someone 'hotter' in that spot.

Granted that I'm generally out of my depth now as far as musical selections go, but as she made sure to tell us, she had a sold out tour this year plus she's the lead performer at the upcoming Superbowl Halftime, so I don't see how Dababy is the hotter name. Never heard of him at all before and sorta doubt I'll hear that much in the future. But certainly wish him well.

1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

I kept waiting for some kind of irony or self-deprecation, but nope. Just more self-backpatting. Weird. 

That's still on the writers. There's no way they'd let write her monologue on her own. I thought one reason she looked so nervous was she knew it came across as bragging.

Kyle as........Baby Yoda

Damn! There's no excuse for cutting Baby Yoda! What, it's too timely?! Hope Kyle still does it over the next two weeks! 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I went ahead and looked it up because I could swear it was her third time as host, and she did host in February of 2010.

Kristin Wiig actually did a superb Pelosi. It was one of my favorite impressions that she did. I don't think Kate's impression is that good.

Granted that I'm generally out of my depth now as far as musical selections go, but as she made sure to tell us, she had a sold out tour this year plus she's the lead performer at the upcoming Superbowl Halftime, so I don't see how Dababy is the hotter name. Never heard of him at all before and sorta doubt I'll hear that much in the future. But certainly wish him well.

I think Kristen was better at the performance but I didn't think any of the material was up to much. 

I don't listen to his music, but Da Baby has gotten a lot of hype the last year or so, alongside articles about his run-ins with the law...it seems like SNL is trying to push for a younger music demo this season. 

I don’t know if I liked it better than everyone else, or people are just grading on a higher curve. I was entertained and amused by every sketch, with the exception of the ending of The Carolers. Update was solidly funny, beginning to end.

Oddly enough, I thought JLo’s Midwestern accent was miles better than anyone else’s.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I wonder if that's in her contract....I kind of laughed at the audience response to J-Lo's monologue. There was some awkward moments there.

I wondered exactly the same thing. If one of her stipulations for appearing was to be able her push her brand in the monologue, and not to have to share the spotlight with other cast members. 

I know that sounds mean, but although I agree that JLo is mindbogglingly hardworking, plus very attractive, and a very good singer/dancer/actress with a good sense of humour, l also get the vibe that she has a towering ego that makes Mariah Carey look humble. 

I would LOVE to see an honest, warts-and-all movie about her - I bet it would be utterly fascinating. She must do more in one day than most of us do in a year. But humble she isn't. 

• Love 7

I rolled my eyes through JLo’s self-aggrandizing monologue. Girl, I wouldn’t boast so much because your ego is what got you in the doghouse with the public in the first place, and it could easily happen again if she’s not careful. The overall writing was crap and if it was written In a way to fuel her ego, it actually made her look worse. 

And that Christmas caroling ending was just offensive and tone-deaf, especially with a show that’s had a history of not having enough diversity in the cast.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Not4Me said:

I rolled my eyes through JLo’s self-aggrandizing monologue. Girl, I wouldn’t boast so much because your ego is what got you in the doghouse with the public in the first place, and it could easily happen again if she’s not careful. The overall writing was crap and if it was written In a way to fuel her ego, it actually made her look worse. 

I had to fast forward when the: I, I, I, me, me, me got too much. Woman does not have a humble bone in her over rated body.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

I don’t know if I liked it better than everyone else, or people are just grading on a higher curve. I was entertained and amused by every sketch, with the exception of the ending of The Carolers. Update was solidly funny, beginning to end.

Oddly enough, I thought JLo’s Midwestern accent was miles better than anyone else’s.

I just was about to say that I finally got an episode where I agree or relate to everyone's thoughts. Almost! At least got more enjoyment out of it than most.

The episode was just there for the most part. Celeb cameos, zeroing in on how hot the attractive guest is, rehashed sketches, the zany group of people doing something a audience has to react to. Seen it all at it's been done better before. I don't even mind going back to the well and rewarming old bits. I just want it to be funny.

I will admit that Chad and Aidy giggling through her line about how most men would hate that crying/sex sound J Lo was making and as a woman she kinda did too. Other than that, this was one of the dryest episodes I've ever seen.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

it seems like SNL is trying to push for a younger music demo this season. 

I think the musical guest list has been extremely varied, genre-wise, especially considering their aged demographic.

Glad the splay-legged reverse twerker was wearing leggings, the original video has her in just panties. I found it gross and degrading, but I'm sure there are some who think it's 'empowering women' or something.

• Love 4

JLo's monologue was like the Christmas letters I dread receiving from people I barely know and don't care much about waxing on about the swell year they've had...

Edited by kib
  • LOL 14
  • Love 9

A pretty weak episode.  Sometimes it seems like the bigger the star they have to host, the less the writers think they have to try.

I liked the guy's head exploding at JLO being 50, that was a nice visual, especially with the confetti.  And I liked the HGTV sketch.  But that was about it.

Even the Chad sketch just kind of annoyed me, because I was recently wondering in another thread what it is about Pete Davidson that supposedly makes him so hot, because I don't see it.  I guess he looked tall next to JLO, maybe that has something to do with it.

• Love 1

Chris Matthews on MSNBC called the opening earlier in the week, and I thought it was better than I had imagined it being. I’m in the minority but I LOVE cameos, and Jimmy Fallon, Paul Rudd and James Corden were hilarious. 

Otherwise, the only other sketches that were laugh out loud funny for me were Hoops and the ugly sister. I have to say, JLo is a huge diva, but at least she seems to be filling out like a regular 50 year old woman, uh, who happens to be JLo.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

J Lo seemed nervous as hell going through her lines, and it was very obvious they pushed the applause button after she said she had a blessed year. The audience was dead silent for a beat.

I thought the audience was holding off on applause at that point because they expected her to start adding specifics, and then applauded when they realised she was pausing instead.

Jennifer Lopez (or whoever wrote the monologue) appeared to be aware of the self-aggrandizement because there were two places where she added a reason why "that's not a brag". The first was clunky but I laughed at the second -- it wasn't a brag because it was "gossip".

I found something amusing in almost every sketch, and I was happy to see an assortment of cast members. Some episodes this season have felt like the same cast members were in every sketch while others were completely sidelined.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought the audience was holding off on applause at that point because they expected her to start adding specifics, and then applauded when they realised she was pausing instead.

It's possible, I guess. It was just very awkward. Total silence and then sudden clapping after a couple of beats. It felt like someone pressed a button. 

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ahisma said:

I agree.  I was laughing, but I was also drinking.  Definitely the first hour of the show had 3 different sketches in a row about how hot JLo is which I found very stupid.  At least mix up the chronology of them.

But I did laugh.  I think that Kyle Mooney's sketch and the end with the trainers was what did it.  I kept saying "This is so stupid" but laughing anyway.  Also the Matt Schatt sketch, if that is the guy that keeps having the beautiful wives.  It's such a simple idea - once again kind of stupid - but Kenan and Bowen made it funny.  I'm really proud of and excited about Bowen.

3 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

3 maybe? And each time I’m sure was the love of her life!

Definitely more.

The first guy in her life Ojani Noa or something - definitely married
Definitely engaged to Ben Affleck right?
Was married to Marc Anthony
Engaged to A-Rod

So there's at least 4 and I'm not even looking this up.  There could be more.

13 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

How did JLo change from the black suit to the green dress?  Did Chad call her Jello?

Yes

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Even the Chad sketch just kind of annoyed me, because I was recently wondering in another thread what it is about Pete Davidson that supposedly makes him so hot, because I don't see it.  I guess he looked tall next to JLO, maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't think Pete's supposed to be necessarily hot.  We all know he's a bit odd looking.  He's just supposed to be extremely young.  Which he is.  There's like a 25 year age difference there.  And yeah, he's tall and skinny.  

1 hour ago, kib said:

JLo's monologue was like the Christmas letters I dread receiving from people I barely know and don't care much about waxing on about the swell year they've had...

I think this SNL episode is part of her Oscar campaign.  She is nothing if not extremely ambitious.  One of the most ambitious people in Hollywood I assume.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Arkay said:

I figured because she does not have any new music to promote.  Plus she’s performing at the Super Bowl in a couple of months.  She’s saving any performances of her old hits for that performance.   

6 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Regarding DaBaby's performances -- what ... the hell ... was that ?
The upside-down twerker, the creepy group of anonymous dancers who appeared to rip off their moves from BTS, the smartphone throwing, the knocking on a tall door, the repeated driving the car pose, the weird crotch fist-pounding -- plus you couldn't really understand the lyrics.  Something about 'eating the meal on my plate' in the first song -- WTF ?  There really wasn't anything original about DaBaby's portion of the act -- plus, there were 18 people on stage at one point in the first song.

The masked dancers were the Jabbawockeez.   They are a pretty famous crew that also has a show in Vegas.  They would be the group BTS ripped their moves from...lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I missed the first half hour, but saw the cold open later.  I thought it was very funny!  Haven't seen JLo’s monologue.  I would not have realized that she has had a “blessed” year as I try not to pay attention to her.

As a Wisconsin native now living in Minnesota, I thought the Wisconsin accents in the bear sketch were terrible.  They just sounded like doofuses with deep voices.  There weren’t any nasal “WisCAHNsins,” “you betchas,” “opes,” or “UpNorts” mentioned at all.  (Google Charlie Behrens “Manitowoc Minute” for great parody of northern Wisconsin-isms.). Plus it was a dumb sketch.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Definitely more.

The first guy in her life Ojani Noa or something - definitely married
Definitely engaged to Ben Affleck right?
Was married to Marc Anthony
Engaged to A-Rod

So there's at least 4 and I'm not even looking this up.  There could be more.

I'm embarrassed that I actually know this, but she was also married to a guy named Cris (no H) Judd, who was otherwise known for winning the sleazy Survivor knockoff I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Outta Here.  She realized she could do a lot better. 

58 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Did Chad call her Jello?

Heh, I knew I liked Chad. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7