Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E08: Jennifer Lopez/DaBaby

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Glad the splay-legged reverse twerker was wearing leggings, the original video has her in just panties. I found it gross and degrading, but I'm sure there are some who think it's 'empowering women' or something.

That’s gross. Guess feminism hasn’t reached her consciousness yet. I get the dancers want to be famous and show off their talents but that move was just all sorts of unnecessary nasty. Says a lot about DaBaby (whose name I thought said it all.)

Edited by OpalNightstream
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, vb68 said:

Eh, this one wasn't very good. The main theme seemed to be J Lo is really HOT, and we all already knew that.

J Lo was fine with what they gave her to do. But I still felt like she was going through the motions just to be done with it.

I think I'm out of the age range they are going on on SNL now, but with JLo, that's about all I ever notice with her. She's almost my age, but damn she is still really beautiful. I like her singing and all ok, but it does help that I think she's hot ! (I will admit I sound really shallow with this 😉

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

That’s gross. Guess feminism hasn’t reached her consciousness yet. I get the dancers want to be famous and show off their talents but that move was just all sorts of unnecessary nasty. Says a lot about DaBaby (whose name I thought said it all.)

From what I gather, her being able to do what she wants is feminism. She's twerking. Some women enjoy doing it. That's all.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Even the Chad sketch just kind of annoyed me, because I was recently wondering in another thread what it is about Pete Davidson that supposedly makes him so hot, because I don't see it.  I guess he looked tall next to JLO, maybe that has something to do with it.

In the case of the Chad sketches, the joke is that he's so irresistible to women when he's just a lot of... nothing.

I loved when he said, "Goodbye, Jello."

Finally a Cold Open that I enjoyed. A little part that made me laugh out loud was when Macron (or Trudeau) says, "Romania, scram!" Anyway, I thought it was all pretty. BTW, there was a moment when James Corden with the white wig looked like Chris Farley to me.

For some reason when JLo came out wearing the tux, I figured there'd be a costume change.

Didn't really like the HGTV sketch. 

What Do You Figure Is Going On In That House, aka the B/W movie sketch, was pretty good. My favorite part was when Aidy and Kate were "slyly" trying to sabotage each other.

Aidy: I made you a drink.
Kate: That's a cup of pills.
Aidy: Why, so it is!

The Beck character was WU had some great lines. "A table with one person of every ethnicity. White, gay, wheelchair..." "Why are we even giving these holidays names? Instead of calling it Halloween, why don't we call it A Great Day for Women. And instead of Easter, why not call it Seester and celebrate our Latina sisters."

Did not like the Hip Hop carolers sketch at all. The ending was a bad end to a bad sketch.

Hoops was pretty good.

The Hardware store sketch was very bad. I couldn't understand what JLo was saying half the time.

Potty PM was ok then got good when Kyle showed how he knew nothing about women's anatomy.

I liked Barry Bootcamp but not as much as the previous spin class one. 

I couldn't understand what DaBaby was singing, but I did enjoy the dancing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

In the case of the Chad sketches, the joke is that he's so irresistible to women when he's just a lot of... nothing.

I loved when he said, "Goodbye, Jello."

Finally a Cold Open that I enjoyed. A little part that made me laugh out loud was when Macron (or Trudeau) says, "Romania, scram!" Anyway, I thought it was all pretty. BTW, there was a moment when James Corden with the white wig looked like Chris Farley to me.

For some reason when JLo came out wearing the tux, I figured there'd be a costume change.

Didn't really like the HGTV sketch. 

What Do You Figure Is Going On In That House, aka the B/W movie sketch, was pretty good. My favorite part was when Aidy and Kate were "slyly" trying to sabotage each other.

Aidy: I made you a drink.
Kate: That's a cup of pills.
Aidy: Why, so it is!

The Beck character was WU had some great lines. "A table with one person of every ethnicity. White, gay, wheelchair..." "Why are we even giving these holidays names? Instead of calling it Halloween, why don't we call it A Great Day for Women. And instead of Easter, why not call it Seester and celebrate our Latina sisters."

Did not like the Hip Hop carolers sketch at all. The ending was a bad end to a bad sketch.

Hoops was pretty good.

The Hardware store sketch was very bad. I couldn't understand what JLo was saying half the time.

Potty PM was ok then got good when Kyle showed how he knew nothing about women's anatomy.

I liked Barry Bootcamp but not as much as the previous spin class one. 

I couldn't understand what DaBaby was singing, but I did enjoy the dancing.

Bolded:  Me too!  Then I paused to think  "wait, he's no longer with us."

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, there was a moment when James Corden with the white wig looked like Chris Farley to me.

Agreed.  That was a big reason I got confused who he was because I don't associate Corden with SNL at all.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

I figured because she does not have any new music to promote.  Plus she’s performing at the Super Bowl in a couple of months.  She’s saving any performances of her old hits for that performance.   

The masked dancers were the Jabbawockeez.   They are a pretty famous crew that also has a show in Vegas.  They would be the group BTS ripped their moves from...lol.

I guess being 'famous' is all relative -- never watched America's Next Dance Crew (thanks Wikipedia), and never knew they had a show in Vegas.

If that's the case and they are 'that' famous, I'm kind of curious why they weren't introduced as 'DaBaby featuring Jabbawockeez' or something similar.  Otherwise, much like I did, you would think they are part of DaBaby's act (which they apparently aren't).

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The Beck character was WU had some great lines. "A table with one person of every ethnicity. White, gay, wheelchair..." "Why are we even giving these holidays names? Instead of calling it Halloween, why don't we call it A Great Day for Women. And instead of Easter, why not call it Seester and celebrate our Latina sisters.

Ok.  Thanks.  I'm dying now.

"All everybody can talk about is Black Friday.  Hello?  The movie is called Friday.   You shouldn't call it that.  They don't call it Black Shrek."

Colin:  Do you think Shrek is black?  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, vb68 said:

I actually blanked on who James Corden was in the cold open. I don't think he's ever appeared on the show before, so I never expected him to do a political impression on here. I imagine Seth watching at home saying "Really?!?!". The best part of that was definitely mocking Melania's "Be Best" campaign.

I will also say despite how singing monologues are so unpopular, that was the best part of the monologue.  J Lo seemed nervous as hell going through her lines, and it was very obvious they pushed the applause button after she said she had a blessed year. The audience was dead silent for a beat.

I groaned when Jules came out on Update. I remember not liking that character before, but he was better this time.

I actually like Chad, too. Can't help wondering if Pete is really kinda like that on all his dates.

I didn't realize it was him at first. James Corden looked a lot heavier than the last time I watched his show. I flashed back to Chris Farley when he first came on.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, willco said:

I think I'm out of the age range they are going on on SNL now, but with JLo, that's about all I ever notice with her. She's almost my age, but damn she is still really beautiful. I like her singing and all ok, but it does help that I think she's hot ! (I will admit I sound really shallow with this 😉

It takes money to look that good and it's not cheap..😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Ottis said:

Ok, show. Some of you think JLo is attractive. Got it. What I learned was she is more attractive in still photos than in live action. Also? She is taller than I expected. 

Another Empire reference? Still don’t get it. Neither did the audience. 

Da Baby is named... Kirk? Or does he really like Star Trek? Look out, DaBaby! It’s f society!

”Keep it tighter than the babysitter.” Heh.

What was Jules? A PC hipster?

The carolers skit seemed stereotypical. Fully expect social media outrage on that one.

I guess some things aren’t allowed to be for only some people anymore.

Some weird camera angles on the hardware store skit. What a strange take on Wisconsin.

Really! I am SO sick of this Jlo worship for being so hot at 50. Give me a f***ing break. If most women over 50 were worth a gazillion dollars, had personal trainers, hair and makeup (and boy does she use a trowel on her face?) artists, stylists and access to the best and most expensive fitted clothing, chefs, plastic surgery and/or heavy duty dermatological procedures, danced for a living, most likely take hormones, etc. Then YOU TOO would be hot. That being said, I actually like her when she is doing comedy. Just tone it down. We really didn't need to hear you talk about how hot you are and for the skits to follow the same routine. Blech. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Update

Kyle as........Baby Yoda

The makeup for this was absolutely extraordinary and I couldn't recognize him until I heard his voice (I got to tell Louie I loved it when I saw him leaving 30 Rock). They had him on a green screen set so that Che could interview him and it would look like Kyle was small and standing on the desk. We learn that Baby Yoda can talk and he is truly blessed with his success and he gave a shoutout to the OG's - Gremlins. Also Baby Groot should watch his mouth, apparently.

I was so sad this didn't make it. It was a wonderful Kyle moment (although I do have a bias for anything Kyle haha).

Man, that sounded amazing. And we got left with...what we got. This ain't fair.

And yeah, I forgot she last hosted in 2010.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Melina22 said:

She really did seem nervous. Also, the whole monologue seemed to be about how gorgeous, successful and youthful she was. I kept waiting for some kind of irony or self-deprecation, but nope. Just more self-backpatting. Weird. 

It was pretty sickening. Is Vain your middle name J-lo?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Hey guys, is JLo, like, attractive or something? It felt like that was a premise for most of the sketches, but I wasn't sure.

I really, really disliked her monologue--nothing about it sat right with me. I don't begrudge her success--it seems to be the consensus in the industry that she is one of the hardest-working people you'll ever meet, and I do think she's worked for everything she's gotten, nothing has been handed to her. But I don't need a multi-millionaire bragging to me about all she's achieved, and complaining about all the people that "counted her out" as if she hasn't been on top of the world for 20+ years. 

I will say, I do always love to see that Versace dress--one of my favorite stories ever is how it basically invented Google Images.

I've never liked the Them Trumps sketches and I never will. To me, they are the epitome of the lazy humor that has come to dominate the show under Colin and Michael's leadership.

"Daddy's Big Bitch" was my hardest laugh of the night.

Am I really supposed to be excited by the Jabbawockeez like it's still 2008? Who are they bringing out next, the Blue Man Group?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

If most women over 50 were worth a gazillion dollars, had personal trainers, hair and makeup (and boy does she use a trowel on her face?) artists, stylists and access to the best and most expensive fitted clothing, chefs, plastic surgery and/or heavy duty dermatological procedures, danced for a living, most likely take hormones, etc. Then YOU TOO would be hot. 

People magazine named JLO "World's Most Beautiful Woman" a few years ago.  I think that's what a lot of the jokes were based on.  

Anyway, I agree with you about the money.  I think just having a personal chef whose job it was to cook delicious but healthy meals for you would make a huge difference.  You wouldn't ever have to even think about food or preparing food or having to stop and get a quick meal.  And if you never had to think about food, you'd be less likely to overeat.  And it would free your mind up for other things.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

Really! I am SO sick of this Jlo worship for being so hot at 50. Give me a f***ing break. If most women over 50 were worth a gazillion dollars, had personal trainers, hair and makeup (and boy does she use a trowel on her face?) artists, stylists and access to the best and most expensive fitted clothing, chefs, plastic surgery and/or heavy duty dermatological procedures, danced for a living, most likely take hormones, etc. Then YOU TOO would be hot. That being said, I actually like her when she is doing comedy. Just tone it down. We really didn't need to hear you talk about how hot you are and for the skits to follow the same routine. Blech. 

I don't buy this. Many A-list Hollywood actresses have access to everything JLo has in the fitness/nutrition/styling/surgery department and look like busted wax figurines at 50. Jennifer Aniston (50) and Gwyneth Paltrow (47) wish they could look that good. Credit where credit is due: she looks absolutely amazing. And she was absolutely stunning in the Corporal bit. That bombshell-type hair/makeup/dress really worked for her.

...With all that said, JLo was a pretty poor performer. For her big monologue song number, there was a "backing" vocal that drowned her out (deliberately, I imagine). I mean, if you need a backing vocal to cover up your live singing, maybe you shouldn't have bothered at all. She seemed nervous and stiff, and didn't have much to bring to the table other than her considerable hotness.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think the joke is that women are so physically attracted to him, they don't even care that he's a numbskull personality-wise.  A "Chad" is a cliche meaning this outside the SNL world, and the female version is called a "Stacey".

• Love 2

Fallon AND Corden? Won’t they let Colbert play in their reindeer games? I’m not surprised when Fallon pops in but I was surprised to see  LA-based, non-NBC affiliated Corden there.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

I don't associate Corden with SNL at all.

Yep; Corden's on CBS. But he made a great Boris Johnson, so I guess NBC allowed it.

I can't get enough of Bowen Yang. He's very dynamic. But he needs to do something other than drive by and deliver one line. I want to see him with more actual material.

I admire the skill involved in walking around on your hands, and twerking at the same time is a whole other level of difficulty. I don't think it's inherently gross.

The WI/bear sketch was badly done, but I liked two things about it. (1) the hardware store was owned and operated by women, and (2) as a rural person who has seen my share of urban tourists, city + idiots = cidiots got a chuckle. I have never heard that term precisely, but I feel like SNL didn't make it up, because it's definitely a sentiment out there. I worked at a farmstand for a while, and people would show up from NYC wearing white shoes and exclaiming with amazement that they didn't realize we had various vegetables (like leeks, for godsake, they're not that exotic) "out here." Where exactly did they think the city vegetable supply is grown? Manhattan?

Hoops: describing babies as "very grabby people" amused me.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, SHD said:

Fallon AND Corden? Won’t they let Colbert play in their reindeer games? I’m not surprised when Fallon pops in but I was surprised to see  LA-based, non-NBC affiliated Corden there.

I suspect he's aiming for a little face time anywhere that will allow it to gin up some buzz about his appearance in the soon-to-be-released film of "Cats"

If I bother to see it the only thing I'll be thinking is "Doesn't that cat look like Boris Johnson?"

Edited by kib
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Mikey Day filled in the backstory of what happened to Matt Schatt's first wife (Margot Robbie), as well as when Matt got a penis (in his first sketch we were told he was born without one). That he initially said no one but him would care made me laugh, as he clearly wasn't aware of how some fans need to know these things.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I don't buy this. Many A-list Hollywood actresses have access to everything JLo has in the fitness/nutrition/styling/surgery department and look like busted wax figurines at 50. Jennifer Aniston (50) and Gwyneth Paltrow (47) wish they could look that good. Credit where credit is due: she looks absolutely amazing. And she was absolutely stunning in the Corporal bit. That bombshell-type hair/makeup/dress really worked for her.

To think people should get credit for this is weird, in my opinion.  I think that's why a lot of people have issues with the monologue.  What are we applauding here, and should we be?   Good genetics, millions of dollars, a personal trainer, dietician, nutritionist, chef, and some modest plastic surgery?  Should we be applauding this?   It's strange.

I personally think Jennifer and Gwyneth look great too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

To think people should get credit for this is weird, in my opinion.  I think that's why a lot of people have issues with the monologue.  What are we applauding here, and should we be?   Good genetics, millions of dollars, a personal trainer, dietician, nutritionist, chef, and some modest plastic surgery?  Should we be applauding this?   It's strange.

As I said, lots of JLo-level celebrities with all her wealth, resources and good genes, whatever their gender, do not look half as good at 50. JLo has taken excellent care of herself for many years and it shows. At a certain point, the way you've been taking care of your body (or abusing) catches up with you; in JLo's case, it's paying off. And this whole idea of "Oh, if I had what she has, I would look that amazing as well!" You wouldn't. Most celebrities don't. 

Frankly, I detect a strong undercurrent of misogyny in all the complaints about JLo daring to brag about how hot she is (the audacity!) and all her projects, especially when most SNL hosts are there, you know, to promote their projects. Chance bragged about welcoming a second daughter and made sure to mention his previous donation to the Chicago educational system, and everyone thought this was adorable. Harry Styles talked about his musical career, and no one begrudged him that. But you know, how dare a woman take pride in anything she has accomplished. She's allowed to have great success with Hustlers and lots of opportunities like performing at the Super Bowl, but how dare she talk about it. She's allowed to be so hot at 50 that SNL can write a whole sketch about how much more gorgeous she is than two pretty actresses 15+ years her junior (Aidy and Kate), but how fucking dare she rub it in. That bitch!

I personally think Jennifer and Gwyneth look great too.

There's "great" and then there's "sufficiently hot to have multiple SNL sketches based on how hot you are." They're nowhere near the latter category.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Frankly, I detect a strong undercurrent of misogyny in all the complaints about JLo daring to brag about how hot she is (the audacity!) and all her projects, especially when most SNL hosts are there, you know, to promote their projects. Chance bragged about welcoming a second daughter and made sure to mention his previous donation to the Chicago educational system, and everyone thought this was adorable. Harry Styles talked about his musical career, and no one begrudged him that. But you know, how dare a woman take pride in anything she has accomplished. She's allowed to have great success with Hustlers and lots of opportunities like performing at the Super Bowl, but how dare she talk about it. She's allowed to be so hot at 50 that SNL can write a whole sketch about how much more gorgeous she is than two pretty actresses 15+ years her junior (Aidy and Kate), but how fucking dare she rub it in. That bitch!

I think most of the comments indicate that JLo didn't write the monologue, that the show's writers did, and that someone on *the show* thinks she is unusually hot. These comments aren't directed at JLo, so no misogyny. If anything, the fact the show went with this angle vs. JLo's many talents might indicate misogyny. "She's talented and works hard and has for decades stayed on top in the business and ... wait, she's hot!"

10 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Maybe it's just me because I'm old and remember way back, but weren't Fallon and Rudd doing the "Wild and Crazy Guys" walk for their entrance in the Cold Open? I'm pretty sure they were.

Super bummed I missed this and now will go back to look at the DVR! I loved that sketch back in the day.

• Love 1

I am not disagreeing about that. There has been fawning over to celebrities as far back as I can remember, even during the show's original run. I have no quips about that. I could see old episodes here and there to remind me that nothing has changed too much. 

I appreciate J-Lo as to what she accomplished, but her key ingredient is good makeup. Without it, I don't think anyone would give her a second glance if she didn't have it. Everybody can say she looks great for a 50 year old, but makeup plays a huge role in her entire life. She is payed to look good. Not that I am against it.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Ottis said:

I think most of the comments indicate that JLo didn't write the monologue, that the show's writers did, and that someone on *the show* thinks she is unusually hot. These comments aren't directed at JLo, so no misogyny. If anything, the fact the show went with this angle vs. JLo's many talents might indicate misogyny. "She's talented and works hard and has for decades stayed on top in the business and ... wait, she's hot!"

I think hosts may have some input into their monologues - last season Matt Damon had an emotional monologue about watching SNL with his father, who had since passed on. There were a few jokes too. That may have been what threw some fans in that her monologue had very few jokes. 

I feel like she may have wanted that approach if she agreed to host - getting to talk about an important moment in her life, then performing. 

It didn't bother me that much (other than sitting in laps, which I just thought was kind of sad), but I guess it may depend on how people feel about her. 

I was more surprised that some fans thought she made the show write sketches about her being hot. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

I was more surprised that some fans thought she made the show write sketches about her being hot. 

More so I think the monologue than sketches; considering her history of narcissism and diva attitude I can see why some fans would think that. And the show had hosts who were very difficult to work with in the past so I can understand that theory.

That being said, she probably was generally easy to work with. I think lazy sketch writing is more the culprit than her (why Pete Davidson keeps getting sketches is beyond me).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Frankly, I detect a strong undercurrent of misogyny in all the complaints about JLo daring to brag about how hot she is (the audacity!) and all her projects, especially when most SNL hosts are there, you know, to promote their projects

I guess I see the misogyny in the show focusing so much on her looks because she's a woman.  Also the fact that she got engaged, which, a lot of people don't care about.  It's not our business.  She's not a model.  She's an actor/singer/dancer.  There's so many other things to talk about.

I *think* Jason Momoa's episode somewhat focused on his looks, but I'm not remembering.  Maybe it was more about how large he was.

But you know, how dare a woman take pride in anything she has accomplished. 

It's about seeing looking good or getting engaged (for the 6th time) as an accomplishment that a lot of people have issue with.

I honestly have nothing against J.Lo and I admire a lot about her.  But, I totally get why the monologue had a lot of people saying, "Huh?"  

This is J.Lo, though.  She sees herself as a brand, a superstar, a beyond human, as the new school Elizabeth Taylor, and this is all part of it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

But you know, how dare a woman take pride in anything she has accomplished. She's allowed to have great success with Hustlers and lots of opportunities like performing at the Super Bowl, but how dare she talk about it.

I kind of feel like nobody has an issue with J.Lo talking about the specific things that she came on the show to promote.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But I did laugh.  I think that Kyle Mooney's sketch and the end with the trainers was what did it.  I kept saying "This is so stupid" but laughing anyway.  Also the Matt Schatt sketch, if that is the guy that keeps having the beautiful wives.  It's such a simple idea - once again kind of stupid - but Kenan and Bowen made it funny.  I'm really proud of and excited about Bowen.

I think Bowen is funny, I like his style of humor, but they are not giving him anything to do.  He gets a line here or there, and it isn't showing his talent at all.  I don't think they know how to use him.

18 hours ago, Racj82 said:

From what I gather, her being able to do what she wants is feminism. She's twerking. Some women enjoy doing it. That's all.

That's like 3rd wave feminism, and the first wave of feminism was very much NOT this.  It was the opposite.  I believe we are on the 4th wave, which is pushing back on dancing for men and calling it feminism. 

14 hours ago, rmontro said:

I think the joke is that women are so physically attracted to him, they don't even care that he's a numbskull personality-wise.  A "Chad" is a cliche meaning this outside the SNL world, and the female version is called a "Stacey".

That's funny - I know a couple with the names Chad and Stacy.

15 hours ago, Eyes High said:

...With all that said, JLo was a pretty poor performer. For her big monologue song number, there was a "backing" vocal that drowned her out (deliberately, I imagine). I mean, if you need a backing vocal to cover up your live singing, maybe you shouldn't have bothered at all. She seemed nervous and stiff, and didn't have much to bring to the table other than her considerable hotness.

Like @Ms Blue Jay said, credit for what??  Being hot?  She has great genes, she has a personal chef.  She probably works out a lot, which - great, you go!  So, why are we clapping and ooh-ing and ahh-ing over hotness?  Are we booing for someone ugly?  I don't get this.

• Love 2
On 12/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, Camille said:

I've never been a JLo fan (though I don't hate her), but I've got to give her props for looking just as fantastic in that Versace dress as she did nearly 20 years ago.

YES.  And she wore it because she just a magazine cover wearing that dress.  She listed it off in "how great am I list" which was really weird and awkward.  

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

YES.  And she wore it because she just a magazine cover wearing that dress.  She listed it off in "how great am I list" which was really weird and awkward.  

Wait what? There a list called “how great am I”? Do people WANT to be loathed?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Not4Me said:

That being said, she probably was generally easy to work with.

Funny, after the episode I wondered if the cast and writers simply didn't like her. She had no chemistry with anyone, she was just... there... alone.

Her monologue was one of the worst, not at all funny. Oftentimes the cast rescues mediocre monologues with their own interruptions. Not for JLo; they put her in front of the cameras and allowed her to tank all by herself. Her nonstop bragging was a lonely affair, aside for the blown head with confetti.

The hoops earrings promotion was the writers phoning it in at its worst.

No warm feelings detected.

• Love 1

Having trouble with the multi-quote function, so no quotations.  But:

1. The Fallon/Rudd entrance as Trudeau and Macron did not remind me at all of the wild and crazy guys.  I assumed they were mimicking a swaggery walk from various high school movies that I haven't watched.
  2. J-Lo and the Versace dress:  hated it then, hate it now.  I was impressed when she came out wearing the same amount of coverage as men usually do, but I knew it couldn't last.
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I think Bowen is funny, I like his style of humor, but they are not giving him anything to do.  He gets a line here or there, and it isn't showing his talent at all.  I don't think they know how to use him.

I think compared to many featured players, Bowen's gotten some decent chances (it helps that he's also on the writing team). He had a piece on Update and several sketches he co-wrote got on the air (the Soulcycle sketches and the Sara Lee, which probably got one of the bigger responses of a sketch this season). I do think some of the sketches he's in don't use him properly, but SNL is such a rigid format that in many cases people don't get to use their talent until after they leave the show.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

The Fallon/Rudd entrance as Trudeau and Macron did not remind me at all of the wild and crazy guys.  I assumed they were mimicking a swaggery walk from various high school movies that I haven't watched.

Agree; with a touch of slow-mo effect. I mean they were live but I think they were moving slowly to mimic the movie entrance.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Funny, after the episode I wondered if the cast and writers simply didn't like her. She had no chemistry with anyone, she was just... there... alone.

Her monologue was one of the worst, not at all funny. Oftentimes the cast rescues mediocre monologues with their own interruptions. Not for JLo; they put her in front of the cameras and allowed her to tank all by herself. Her nonstop bragging was a lonely affair, aside for the blown head with confetti.

I agree, it was really BAD. 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:07 AM, Eyes High said:

But you know, how dare a woman take pride in anything she has accomplished. She's allowed to have great success with Hustlers and lots of opportunities like performing at the Super Bowl, but how dare she talk about it.

Thinking over it, it may have sounded like I was critical of JLo mentioning the upcoming Halftime show, and I wanted to be clear that wasn't my intention at all.  Everyone comes on to promote something.  And I really don't think it was an issue for anyone as Ms Blue Jay said.

The comparison of her monologue to the long summaries and recaps of the whole year some people put in their Christmas cards is a good one and works for me. Some like that while others roll their eyes at it.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

If you see her without the makeup, you wouldn't know that was J-Lo. Her makeup does wonder, but without it, nobody would think that is her. That is the power of cosmetic procedures. They know how to hide the flaws there. She does not have great skin, but she has all the products that help her be the person she is. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2
On 12/10/2019 at 11:44 AM, vb68 said:

The comparison of her monologue to the long summaries and recaps of the whole year some people put in their Christmas cards is a good one and works for me. Some like that while others roll their eyes at it.  

I don't mind a Christmas card that says "Little Tommy got straight As this semester!"  or "Little Joanie is going to Europe with her French class." 

What I cannot stand is: "Joe and I decided that we worked so hard all year, we deserved a long vacation to Greece.  And Joe finally bought that yacht he has been wanting!"

Children's accomplishments, and even events are good!  Adults "accomplishments" is bragging, and really barfy.

• Love 3

I thought Paul Rudd was good as Macron (and Cordon was so fun at Johnson) but Jimmy Fallon as Trudeau was meh. I am really sick of the celebrity casting. Mikey Day would have made a great Macron and Alex could have been a great Trudeau. It made me sad that Mikey had one or two lines as Romania. 

• Love 4
On 12/8/2019 at 3:07 AM, GoldenGirl90 said:

Not much to add, but yes this was a 'meh' episode. Smiled with joy seeing Jimmy Fallon, Paul Rudd, and James Cordon during the opening. 

"Them Trumps" tho... LMFAO

I DID Notice That This Was THE MOST that they Have ever had Alex Moffat ! Usually, Every Body is Always Complaining that they Never Use Alex So I Thought Every body would be Happy That They Used Alex Tonight In This Show !

On 12/8/2019 at 6:41 AM, Ottis said:

Ok, show. Some of you think JLo is attractive. Got it. What I learned was she is more attractive in still photos than in live action. Also? She is taller than I expected. 

Another Empire reference? Still don’t get it. Neither did the audience. 

Da Baby is named... Kirk? Or does he really like Star Trek? Look out, DaBaby! It’s f society!

”Keep it tighter than the babysitter.” Heh.

What was Jules? A PC hipster?

The carolers skit seemed stereotypical. Fully expect social media outrage on that one.

I guess some things aren’t allowed to be for only some people anymore.

Some weird camera angles on the hardware store skit. What a strange take on Wisconsin.

Tyler Perry Made Empire which is A TV Show with Taraji P. Henson who Plays Cookie ! I Think Tyler Perry would probably make Some Thing Like Them Trumps ! Tyler Perry Is Medea And Other Characters In His Movies ! Also, Tyler Perry Is Very Wealthy And Has A Mansion !

On 12/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, sempervivum said:

I think the musical guest list has been extremely varied, genre-wise, especially considering their aged demographic.

Glad the splay-legged reverse twerker was wearing leggings, the original video has her in just panties. I found it gross and degrading, but I'm sure there are some who think it's 'empowering women' or something.

NO, I Do NOT Think That Is empowering ! I Don't Know Any Way That Has Any Thing to Do with Empowering ! I Think She Was Just Showing How Flexible She Is ! I Was NOT Grossed Out, But I Did Think IT Was A Little Strange So I Understand IF Some People Like You Thought That Was Gross !

On 12/8/2019 at 1:01 PM, cpcathy said:

Chris Matthews on MSNBC called the opening earlier in the week, and I thought it was better than I had imagined it being. I’m in the minority but I LOVE cameos, and Jimmy Fallon, Paul Rudd and James Corden were hilarious. 

Otherwise, the only other sketches that were laugh out loud funny for me were Hoops and the ugly sister. I have to say, JLo is a huge diva, but at least she seems to be filling out like a regular 50 year old woman, uh, who happens to be JLo.

I Also Like Cameos !

On 12/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, After7Only said:

I figured because she does not have any new music to promote.  Plus she’s performing at the Super Bowl in a couple of months.  She’s saving any performances of her old hits for that performance.   

The masked dancers were the Jabbawockeez.   They are a pretty famous crew that also has a show in Vegas.  They would be the group BTS ripped their moves from...lol.

DA Baby said He Brought Them On There, BUT I have Seen Them On World OF Dance So I Think Jennifer Lopez Brought Them There OR Maybe Jennifer Told Lorne about Them And He Told Maybe Marci Klein Because I Think She is The Talent Coordinator OR Gets The Acts For The Show !

On 12/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I guess being 'famous' is all relative -- never watched America's Next Dance Crew (thanks Wikipedia), and never knew they had a show in Vegas.

If that's the case and they are 'that' famous, I'm kind of curious why they weren't introduced as 'DaBaby featuring Jabbawockeez' or something similar.  Otherwise, much like I did, you would think they are part of DaBaby's act (which they apparently aren't).

As I Said, They Have Been On World OF Dance And They MAY Have Gotten their Start There Because They Were The WINNERS OF That Season ! That May Have Been The First Season, But I Could Be Wrong About That ! Jennifer Lopez Is The Main Judge AND Producer OF World OF Dance So I Think She Got Them To Come On Saturday Night Live !