Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Lots of good stuff today: Robert and Anna wordlessly signally when to shoot in tandem; Austin getting Maxie to see that Brook Lynn is a friend, Chase counselling Brook Lynn, Austin indicating that he remembers the night of Brook Lynn taking Louise.

If Victor really is Valentin's father it would have shown up in the DNA test he took. Victor is Mikkos' brother and therefore Nik's uncle. Still, good soap.

Dante: I was just on the phone talking to Rocco. He's staying with Grandma Olivia.  Sam: I was just on the phone with Danny and Scout.  Me: Are they staying at Monica's daycare with Rocco?  You could have made a joint phone call.

Have soap operas changed? Or have audiences? I find myself bored with the endless talk about "I like you/we kissed". Today Dante acting like he's Rocco's age was particularly annoying.

If Maxie can't forgive Brook Lynn for trying to break up Lulu and Dante, does that mean that she's given Carly a free pass for arranging it?  Because Chase has moved on from Michael and Willow cheating and only blames Austin for "using" him when Austin was the only one showing any sympathy.

The age difference stuff I have the most trouble with is Ava with Ryan, and now Ryan's twin brother is her father-in-law.

• Love 6

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Loved everything Cassadine and Anna + Robert. That was the highlight. I know you guys will complain about Sam, and there were moments today where she looked unenthused, but the kiss was good. But yeesh, I have a headache from all the Lulu anvils.

I see no chemistry whatsoever between Maxie and Austin, so good luck with that. I don't see romantic chemistry between BLQ and Chase either. They should put Chase and Maxie together. That I could see. Although her track record with cops is not good.

I forgot that Drew was programmed, so I didn't see that ending coming - I thought it was just a no-name assassin.

• Love 6

Dante said "Morning" to Sam while telling Rocco the same thing. LOL that Sam supposedly told Scout and Danny the same. I'm shocked she remembers a phone number to call them.

Monaco is six hours ahead of New York, Show.

LOL at Chase eating a bagel with cream cheese. Carbs and fat? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The age difference stuff I have the most trouble with is Ava with Ryan, and now Ryan's twin brother is her father-in-law.

You mean Ava & Nick?  Kevin isn't Nick's father, he's his stepfather.  You mean stepfather-in-law.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Useful 1

Sam and Dante are so snoozy as a couple.

39 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If Victor really is Valentin's father it would have shown up in the DNA test he took.

Since when is any DNA test on GH accurate? It drives me nuts that the show puts so much emphasis on something it changes whenever it needs a retcon.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

They make me cringe if I am being honest. The acting like 15 year olds and they're what 40? seems like an odd choice.

CRINGE

But then again Sam will forever be shit to me. All that heavy breathing and sighing, yikes!

Edited by Hater
  • Love 6

Why can't Victor kill Peter? I must have fallen asleep during that explanation. And Anna knows Cassadine Island is nearby; why doesn't she figure out that might be where Valentin is?

I hate it when people have to be stupid to make a story work. Too bad that's 98 percent of GH.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

f Victor really is Valentin's father it would have shown up in the DNA test he took. Victor is Mikkos' brother and therefore Nik's uncle

Wouldn't it depend on how the test was done?  If you have sample A(Valentin) versus sample B(Mikkosw) and it doesn't match then there is no reason to do a deeper dive and see if there is any familial matching,(Victor) which would have shown up.  Although, I have no idea how they did the DNA testing since Mikkos is dead.  Was it via Nik or Alexis' DNA?  

1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

I forgot that Drew was programmed, so I didn't see that ending coming - I thought it was just a no-name assassin.

Same here.  I thought it was Peter so when he took off the mask, I gasped and said 'what the hell' at which point my 13 yr old, who isn't really paying attention while also playing games on her tablet, drily reminded me that Drew had been programed with a tarot card.  to which I complained that no way does an idiot like Peter manage to mind program a trained Navy Seal!

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL at Chase eating a bagel with cream cheese. Carbs and fat? 

And JS was really eating it.  Usually you'll see the actors pretending to eat, but he was chowing down!  Also I was watching AS and she put suger in her cup, which I guess was supposed to be coffee, then lifted it to her lips to drink, grimaced and put it back down.  Don't know what was in that cup but it wasn't good.  

31 minutes ago, Hater said:

The acting like 15 year olds and they're what 40? seems like an odd choice.

Yep, it's gross.  My 13 yr old claims she "ships them", but I said I can't, since if Jason were to walk in the room at that moment and declare Sam to be the love of his life, she'd drop Dante like a hot potato and run shrieking into Jason's arms.  While watching Sante, I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop and thanks to the 4849 anvils about Lulu today, I'm guessing she'll turn out to be the other shoe.  

25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Why can't Victor kill Peter? I must have fallen asleep during that explanation.

Peter has the "key" to programing Drew and Victor wants it.  That's my understanding.  

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Ya I'm not really interested in their boring conversations, in fact I left the room after Dante saying he and Lulu were definitely done so not sure what Sam said. Dante always looks like a good kisser though, not like "Mike" trying to suck Nina's face off.

Anna and Robert were good together, I did laugh at 80 lb Anna holding the guy down, even if she sat on top of him I'm sure he still could have got up.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Austin indicating that he remembers the night of Brook Lynn taking Louise.

hmm that was interesting.

Anyways another Carly, Sonny, Jason free day so YAAA!

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Was it via Nik or Alexis' DNA?  

My hunch about Valentin and Victor was correct!  They used Alexis' DNA.  It would've been interesting if they'd used Nikolas and tested the Y chromosome, because if Victor was the father there would've been a match.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I hate it when people have to be stupid to make a story work.

"THERE'S NO SERRRRVICE".  - Nikolas Cassadine. 

I guess the viewer would have to be the stupid one there, since Nik was on a boat docked in P.C.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Then there should have been a familial match since it would make them cousins.  No??

My guess is that IRL, the test would've come back as inconclusive because they'd have more shared DNA than two unrelated individuals, but less than half-siblings.  Or it could've come back as negative if they used a strict shared DNA% cut-off.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Nice continuity with the mentioning of BJ's birthday. I just looked it up, and she was born October 6th, and today's episode was supposed to air yesterday, so good job here.

Chase's influence on BLQ concerning Austin / the Leo situation as well done.

After today's episode, I am 100% sure that Lulu will return soon, and my guess is she will be Drew's new love interest. I wouldn't actually mind a Sam-Lulu-Drew-Dante love quadrangle.

I liked that Victor told Valentin that he is his father. And now I think that Victor's bluffing.

And I haven't really thought this through, but I had a positive surprised reaction to Drew's appearance at the end of the episode, I had forgotten Peter's mind control thing.

All in all this was an episode that I enjoyed watching, even Sante didn't really bother me.

When the previews for tomorrow's episode were shown, I cursed out loud big time when CarSon were shown in the very last picture.

Edited by IDFfm0870
  • Love 9
On 10/5/2021 at 12:51 PM, YaddaYadda said:

I really hate how dumb the villains on this show are, or how attached to some actors FV is. Viktor knows that Peter is about to double-cross him, so instead of putting a bullet in the back of his head, he lets him wander around like no biggie, but kidnaps Valentin to help him get rid of the guy. Peter is an ineffective mofo. Put on your big boy pants and get rid of the guy, Vik! And we want to see the body, the cremation as he goes into the oven too. Signed the entire GH fandom.

While we're at it, have him kill Sonny and his goons and the rest of the Corinthii (except Christina, 'cause she is a Cassidine even if the show forgets that) and say something like, "Nicholas is still my enemy, but we can't have common thugs beating up Cassidines and thinking they can get away with it."

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Not to mention those artificial lips.  Yikes is right.

I didn't want to say anything about it but they distracted me today especially when she would smile.  She ruined her face.

5 minutes ago, BunnyFooFoo said:

Ok, am I going insane? Today’s recorded show said it was a repeat and that today’s episode will air tomorrow. It started out with Franco and Liz, then TJ and his mom, so I deleted it. Why was it a repeat?

That's what happens when the show is pre-empted.  It messes up the DVR recordings and such.  

Edited by Hater
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Hater said:

I didn't want to say anything about it but they distracted me today especially when she would smile.  She ruined her face.

That's what happens when the show is pre-empted.  It messes up the DVR recordings and such.  

Well it did record it, which is weird because I have it set to first run only, but I couldn’t figure out why a repeat. It’s not a holiday, there was nothing on the news about a tragedy, it was so unexpected and odd. 

I came here and went right to the last page and didn’t see people discussing it. I posted then went back a page and saw it was a repeat for everyone. 

I agree about Sam’s duck lips, unattractive and distracting.

• Love 2

The DNA stuff is fun. The test for inheritance needed Valentin to be tested against Alexis because she has Mikkos' DNA but not Helena's. Valentin, Alexis as a half-sibling to Stavros,shares 25% of his DNA, and so 12 1/2% with Nik.

But Victor (who is a full sibling to Mikkos I assume) shares 50% of Mikkos DNA. So as first cousins, Alexis and Valentin would share12.5% (range of 7.31% - 13.8%). It's not as much as the 25% she shares with Stavros and Stefan but it's not nothing either.

5 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Peter has the "key" to programing Drew and Victor wants it.  That's my understanding.  

I still don't understand why Viktor needs Drew.There are other people with his SEAL skills who will do it for money, no brain-washing needed. I could understand why they wanted brain-damaged Jason but Drew is just an ordinary guy.

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

You mean Ava & Nick?  Kevin isn't Nick's father, he's his stepfather.  You mean stepfather-in-law.

Yes. Still weird.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Dante always looks like a good kisser though, not like "Mike" trying to suck Nina's face off.

When Sonny put his hands on both sides of Carly's head to suck her face the other day, all I could think of was the Friends episode where Susan Sarandon's character taught Joey Tribiani to do the same thing in order to keep the other person's face off camera. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 2

Maxie and Austin are strange but I am not totally offended like I thought I would be, I am indifferent.  I liked Maxie for solely mentioning Lulu today while the kissing practically cousins were making out in Monte Carlo.  

Edited by Hater
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The DNA stuff is fun. The test for inheritance needed Valentin to be tested against Alexis because she has Mikkos' DNA but not Helena's. Valentin, as a half-sibling to Stavros,shares 25% of his DNA, and so 12 1/2% with Nik.

But Victor (who is a full sibling to Mikkos I assume) shares 50% of Mikkos DNA. So as first cousins, Alexis and Valentin would share12.5% (range of 7.31% - 13.8%). It's not as much as the 25% she shares with Stavros and Stefan but it's not nothing either.

This does not math for me. Valentine and Alexis being Mikos' children they would have shared 50% DNA (having different mothers), about 25% with Nik and the Coven.  If Valentine were Victor's son, taking for granted that Victor is Mikos' full sibling (which, who freaking knows these days) Val will share about the 25% with Alexis which would ping as "Mikos' you are NOT tha father!!!". I mean usually when they do DNA tests for paternity it's a flat "yes or no" question, I doubt "yes, no, uncle?" was available as an option, or sought as one, cause who would have expected Helena to bang her husband's brother.  

At least someone remembers Lulu is somewhere not being visited by anyone. I'm surprised Maxie brought up that Lulu confessed love for Dante before she died, cuz that actually happened, and usually the show does not care what actually happened.

Chase, I heart you, but please cease and desist immediately with your new paper towel lumberjack look!

image.png.23287b19133e85d6e3e7892cf929f9bc.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

To clarify the Cassadine family tree - Victor and Mikos were brothers. Helena was married to Mikos. Alexis is M's daughter, Nick is his grandson, and Valentin is (possibly) Victor's son.

So why did the entire Cassadine fortune belong to Mikos?

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, ouinason said:

This does not math for me. Valentine and Alexis being Mikos' children they would have shared 50% DNA (having different mothers), about 25% with Nik and the Coven.  If Valentine were Victor's son, taking for granted that Victor is Mikos' full sibling (which, who freaking knows these days) Val will share about the 25% with Alexis which would ping as "Mikos' you are NOT tha father!!!". I mean usually when they do DNA tests for paternity it's a flat "yes or no" question, I doubt "yes, no, uncle?" was available as an option, or sought as one, cause who would have expected Helena to bang her husband's brother.  

You're right, I mistyped 'Valentin' instead 'Alexis'.

Full siblings share 50% of DNA because they don't get the same (identical) chromosomes from the parents. Half siblings share 25%.

They can't do a straight paternity test because Mikkos isn't around any more. If they compared Valentin's DNA to Nik, son of Stavros, it wouldn't give them any more information because Valentin shares a mother with Stavros.

If Viktor is Valentin's father, the initial DNA test would show that Alexis and Valentin share 12.5% DNA. That would mean that Mikkos is not Valentin's father but it would also have called into question the assumption that Valentin is not a Cassadine.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

So why did the entire Cassadine fortune belong to Mikos?

That is the way the inheritance was set up. The oldest son gets the whole thing.

Mikos -> Stavros -> Nikolas -> Spencer

Every other sibling was out of luck.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2021 at 5:32 PM, Hater said:

This is fine.  As a Drew fan, he can explore better options.  Sam ain't it, Dante can have her.

They should do Liz and Drew.  Afterall,  Drew as Jake Doe was more into her than he was Sam.

Or maybe Britt.  That could work.  He would be way better for her than Jaysus.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, ouinason said:

I just think that it would've been funny if they used Nikolas and tested his Y chromosome, because it would've come back as a match!

Edited by drtslim
16 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

I see no chemistry whatsoever between Maxie and Austin, so good luck with that. I don't see romantic chemistry between BLQ and Chase either. They should put Chase and Maxie together. That I could see. 

I see the show pushing for a Chase/BL pairing, and I hate it. They make such good friends, why mess it up?

On the other hand, I think a BL/Austin pairing could really work. They both have snark, and they are both opinionated. If given a chance, I think they could be Ava/Nik levels of good together. 

LuluLuluLuluLulu. We had more mention of her today than in the last 6 months combined. So of course she’s coming back to disrupt the burgeoning Sante (Dam?) romance. My only question is, who’s playing her? I assume it’s not Emme, and Julie is too much to hope for.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, drtslim said:

Brook Lynn and Austin are cousins.

Eh. Everybody is cousins on this show. That’s why they’re all crazy. Too much inbreeding.

Jokes aside, I’d rather have a good inappropriate couple than an acceptable boring one. It’s a soap. They can fudge it.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

LuluLuluLuluLulu. We had more mention of her today than in the last 6 months combined. So of course she’s coming back to disrupt the burgeoning Sante (Dam?) romance. My only question is, who’s playing her? I assume it’s not Emme, and Julie is too much to hope for.

I'm all for a LuLu recast. But - this one needs to be truly AWESOME, like the daughter of L&L should be. Otherwise, TPTB really shouldn't bother.

• Love 17
51 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Jokes aside, I’d rather have a good inappropriate couple than an acceptable boring one. It’s a soap. They can fudge it.

This is me in a nutshell. Not really into BLQ and Austin because I'm not into Austin, but I applaud this sentiment. I've shipped much, much worse than cousins.

Ah, Lulu. In some ways it seems like she's been gone a long time, and then it also feels like she just left yesterday. Not sure who they're thinking of casting, but I agree that it needs to be good.

I'm going to need to see who Drew has chemistry with before I point him in any direction.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If Viktor is Valentin's father, the initial DNA test would show that Alexis and Valentin share 12.5% DNA. That would mean that Mikkos is not Valentin's father but it would also have called into question the assumption that Valentin is not a Cassadine.

There's a good chart here that shows there's a pretty broad range of DNA overlap between relatives, and maybe they matched on the low end within the margin of, "Well they're descendants of a royal family, so everyone is a little bit related."

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

ER seems perfectly nice, and it looks like her colleagues love her, but I want JMB or a recast. I checked ER's Instagram to see if she was alluding to anything, and she seems to be living her best crafting life.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Eh. Everybody is cousins on this show. That’s why they’re all crazy. Too much inbreeding.

In some US states, you can still marry a first cousin.  New York is one.  They could make a soapy story of it.  There's an organization of people who married cousins to stand up for their actions, claiming birth defects are not so much  more common and so on.  Interestingly, no one has brought any case up to the Supreme Court, as for gay marriage - it is not controversial enough to cause them problems, I suppose. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States

An immigration case could do it based on a case that would be between a naturalized US citizen and a cousin in their country of origin.  Immigration authorities base their decision on whether the state they would live in won't recognize other states' cousin marriages.  

So it could be soapy, with others objecting or commenting.  They did one on Guiding Light years ago, but the show didn't deal with it and the comments were all online.  

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

So it could be soapy, with others objecting or commenting.  They did one on Guiding Light years ago, but the show didn't deal with it and the comments were all online.  

Didn't Austin's father, Jimmy Lee have a Quartermaine cousin as a love interest?

59 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Didn't Austin's father, Jimmy Lee have a Quartermaine cousin as a love interest?

Yup. Celia. While she was engaged to Fake!Grant Putnam-DVX agent-who fell in love with her and was redeemed. Ahhh, the good days of soapiness! And I mean the DVX storyline.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2021 at 11:18 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yup. Celia. While she was engaged to Fake!Grant Putnam-DVX agent-who fell in love with her and was redeemed. Ahhh, the good days of soapiness! And I mean the DVX storyline.

Yes!!!! GH's golden era!!!! Grant Andrews and Grant Putnam.  Remember Anna being held hostage by Fake!Grant's dog Satan? He couldn't handle Original Recipe Anna on his own and needed canine help.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Have soap operas changed? Or have audiences? I find myself bored with the endless talk about "I like you/we kissed". Today Dante acting like he's Rocco's age was particularly annoying.

GH is the only soap I currently watch but I think they have gotten overly chaste. The occasional slow burn romance is fine but that’s all they seem to do. I feel like everyone is sort of slowly possibly dating but they have way too many discussions about what kisses mean for 40+ year olds. The only exception is Millow who still managed to be boring and lukewarm despite all of the love scenes and having an affair. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Wouldn't it depend on how the test was done?  If you have sample A(Valentin) versus sample B(Mikkosw) and it doesn't match then there is no reason to do a deeper dive and see if there is any familial matching,(Victor) which would have shown up.  Although, I have no idea how they did the DNA testing since Mikkos is dead.  Was it via Nik or Alexis' DNA?  

Valentin definitely did a DNA test with Alexis. There was a scene last year where Nikolas called her down to GH to do the test to rule Valentin out as a Cassadine. I’m not sure if he also did one with Nikolas to confirm if Helena is his mother. I think he may have done a DNA test with both of them but they weren’t clear. 

Austin and BLQ aren't first cousins but once removed, so is that even a legal impediment?  Not that I want them together - thus far Austin is kind of a dud in the chemistry department. 

Eta: evidently once removed is also banned in 7 states. Half-cousins are restricted too, in some places. Technically they are half-cousins once removed?

Spencer to Esme: Why would you tell my uncle the alleged mob kingpin that my father was going away with his daughter?

Alleged? Come on show, when every second episode they're on, Sonny, Carly or Joss is threatening people with mob goons, why not just admit that Sonny is the mob kingpin?

Esme, it wasn't Cameron's friends who almost got his father killed, it was you going to Sonny.  Esme makes Nelle look like a good person. Spencer tries to defend her and take the blame for what she did while she just manipulates and blames Spencer for everything.

Why is no one showing Spencer how to survive? Help him get a job at Kelly's or as an orderly at the hospital?  That would be better than casting him off and saying it's his own fault.

I hated how Carly fell all over herself faking being a nice person to Phyllis. Phyllis lost a lot of points with me for being A-okay that Sonny is a mob king and talking about "all the horrible things she's done" to Sonny and his family, and none of the horrible things they did to her or you pushing her and Mike together.

On the other hand, I did like Portia's weekly catch-up breakfast with Trina.

Oh Cameron, you're already a male mob moll, going outside to let Joss yell at Nina. I had such high hopes for you. NULOJH.

2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

The only exception is Millow who still managed to be boring and lukewarm despite all of the love scenes and having an affair. 

Ironically, the only teens having sex are Spencer and Esme.

6 hours ago, absnow54 said:

There's a good chart here that shows there's a pretty broad range of DNA overlap between relatives, and maybe they matched on the low end within the margin of, "Well they're descendants of a royal family, so everyone is a little bit related."

The Cassadines are aristocracy, not royalty. It is possible to be a prince and not a monarch (pet peeve of mine).

The stigma against marrying in-family is to minimize heredity disorders. but I remember all the chemistry Michael had with Kristina when he was played by Drew Garrett and people were still horrified at the idea of them getting together even though they shared no DNA.

Table 4 Relationship Chart is very interesting. Full siblings share an average of 3487 clusters. For half siblings, it's down to 1783. Half uncle/niece is 891 and half great uncle/niece (a closer relationship than Brook Lynn with Drew or Austin) it's down to 427 which is probably less than more distantly related who have lived in a small town for generations. So the stigma is social rather than scientific.

7 hours ago, drtslim said:

I just think that it would've been funny if they used Nikolas and tested his Y chromosome, because it would've come back as a match!

But that wouldn't have ruled out Valentin as Mikkos' son since they would both have the Y chromosome of Mikkos and Victor's father.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

Joss is horrible and absolutely mini-Carly, but I thought EM did a really good job with that tearing up the journal scene today. And Esme actress also did a nice job in her wallowing to Cam. 

I continue to love Britt. In fact, I like her more and more every time I see her. Especially when she has no time or patience for others' bad behavior. She's done awful things, but she is letting people know not to make those mistakes, whether it's Nina or Spencer. And loved her reaction to Spencer and Esme moving in lol. 

Phyllis is in for a real ugly surprise when she meets the real Carly.

Ava and Trina are my favorite friendship on this show.

• Love 14