Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04 Kendra's Got a Secret

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

Kendra surprises Joe when she finds out she's expecting their second baby; Jessa recruits her brothers to build a deck for their house before the new baby's arrival; Jessa and Ben go to the doctor with Henry. 

I have a spreadsheet on the Duggar offspring (actually a lot of the large fundy families are on it...what? I like baby names), anyway, I predicted that Joe & Kendra's baby would arrive on the 9th and be named Shelby Renee. 

• Love 4

Kendra you feel young because you're freaking 21 -- you should be in college or at a job, not freaking playing house with 2 kids. And you're sooooo nervous and your heart is soooo racing bc announcing a pregnancy to your husband is literally the only exciting news you'll have. It's not like you're a normal american woman in 2019 who could be excited about getting a new job or getting into school or whatever. And I realize it may just be Joe and how unemotional he is but he didn't seem all that thrilled about the pregnancy. I mean he was fine but his reaction of "how about that" . . . doesn't suggest OMG this is the best thing ever. But then what 24 year old man who hardly has a job besides the car lot supporting 75 other brothers is going to be so thrilled about another mouth to feed on a yearly basis . . . .

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, cereality said:

Kendra you feel young because you're freaking 21 -- you should be in college or at a job, not freaking playing house with 2 kids. And you're sooooo nervous and your heart is soooo racing bc announcing a pregnancy to your husband is literally the only exciting news you'll have. It's not like you're a normal american woman in 2019 who could be excited about getting a new job or getting into school or whatever. And I realize it may just be Joe and how unemotional he is but he didn't seem all that thrilled about the pregnancy. I mean he was fine but his reaction of "how about that" . . . doesn't suggest OMG this is the best thing ever. But then what 24 year old man who hardly has a job besides the car lot supporting 75 other brothers is going to be so thrilled about another mouth to feed on a yearly basis . . . .

Joe didn't look thrilled when they announced the first (of many) pregnancies, either. I distinctly remember people commenting on it. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

Who wouldn't want to leave a 3 year old with 4 uncles under age 22 wielding power tools . . . way to go Jessa. Couldn't drop Spurge off at the big house -- surely someone there could keep some kind of eye on him w/o power tools around and when he announces he needs a new diaper, the aunts will likely take care of it, while Jed stands there and says -- uh diapers aren't my thing . . . .

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, cereality said:

And I realize it may just be Joe and how unemotional he is but he didn't seem all that thrilled about the pregnancy. I mean he was fine but his reaction of "how about that" . . . doesn't suggest OMG this is the best thing ever. 

Maybe Joe's inherited his parents' view of the babeez -- it's not very exciting until you get into the double digits. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

l feel for all those "little ones" who are just babies, but are just not enough to warrant their parents attention for very long... soon a newborn is required...again and again. It seems to me they don't consider them all that special. It's so reminiscent of Michelle. 

• Love 6

Hmm. Interesting that the J’slaves (Jill, Jana, Jinger and Jessa) are definitely not on the path to 19 kids. I guess nonstop diaper changing of the buddies will do that to you. Jana seems on the pathway to zero kids. But the Jboys all seem blissfully one their way to double digits. Anna must be upset that with each new “blessing” her star falls further. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 10

I can't believe Kendra brought up that Joe still licks his plate sometimes.   I thought she would have broken him of that after the way she talked about it on their honeymoon.  

I thought Jessa's new deck was small for the size yard they have.  I would have made it much larger if it was me.  

Poor Jason. He has already been hit with the curse of the receding Duggar hairline at the  tender age of 19.

• Love 8

How does Joe support his growing family by working at that car lot? "Four or five people came by and looked" at used cars, parked on the grass.

How much does he bring home from that venture? 75¢ an hour?

I do agree with someone who posted about Kendra. She seems like the absolute sweetest person.

• Love 17
20 minutes ago, answerphone said:

How does Joe support his growing family by working at that car lot? "Four or five people came by and looked" at used cars, parked on the grass.

How much does he bring home from that venture? 75¢ an hour?

I do agree with someone who posted about Kendra. She seems like the absolute sweetest person.

I wonder how much footage as wasted to set up Kendra calling Joe at the lot? I imagine TLC had to show up with the premise of following him around at "work." Or was Joe faking it during the ice cream reveal?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

How many times did we hear “As a mom..” in this episode? 
Yeah girls, we know you’re mothers, but what else are you? Being a mom shouldn’t be the ONLY thing you are. I’ve never heard any if the saying, “As a wife” or “As a daughter” etc. 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

If a 3-year-old announces that he needs a diaper change, then he should be wearing underwear, not a dang diaper IMO.

I distinctly remember my mom potty training my sister once she was able to say “new diaper” while putting said diaper in my mom’s hands. Spurgeon could probably change his own diaper at this point.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • LOL 3
  • Love 20

I wonder if Michelle ever wishes she was the one announcing a pregnancy? Or has the passage of time and grandkids being around made her preggo days long lost memories that go in and out of her mind?

Edited by Hockey Addict
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh, and this might be a stupid comment and opinions may vary but vanilla ice cream (that's what it looked like Joe and Ken were eating) is just too bland for me. If you're my husband and you know me you better either bring major toppings for that vanilla or some other flavor with variety like moose tracks, banana fudge, ect. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
49 minutes ago, Hockey Addict said:

Oh, and this might be a stupid comment and opinions may vary but vanilla ice cream (that's what it looked like Joe and Ken were eating) is just too bland for me. If you're my husband and you know me you better either bring major toppings for that vanilla or some other flavor with variety like moose tracks, banana fudge, ect. 

It was also “guilt free” ice cream, so probably even more boring than a normal vanilla ice cream.

I did have to laugh at that mommy exercise group Jinger joined for a day. They all clearly knew it was filming day and behaved accordingly. I hope none of them expected to see Jinger ever again. 

Jessa’s boys are so dang cute! Spurge is old enough to be potty trained, but I won’t judge too much because boys take forever to potty train fully. Mine was happy to pee in a toilet, but like Spurge, he would go hide behind or beneath a piece of furniture to poop in his pants. After throwing out several pairs of underwear, I bought him some pull ups. He called them diapers though. 

Also, there is just far too much Jim Bob and Michelle this season . They are obviously back on the TLC payroll. 

• Love 16

OK the baby reveal was cute, Spurgeon is adorable, little Garret looks just like Joe and Felicity is also cute and has the biggest eyes (in a good way)   Also pretty sure there was a quick Marcus sighting in Jessa's living room during the gender game.  If so they must have stuck Josh (and by extension poor Anna) in some corner where they'd be next to the camera's instead of in the sight line.

BUT for the rest...............:

Michelle and JB talking about the old small house with one bedroom then - poof! - "we" built a big house with so much room.  Just gloss over that it took them several years longer than planned, they had to bring in professional "friends" and TLC helped them finish it.  

Jinger wears leggings and a skirt to the exercise class; I'm having trouble believing that Jinger regularly wears the skirt portion of that outfit.  I know they addressed it last week and everyone has gone back and forth about her past clothes choices vs what she wears now and she still may be holding on to some of the modesty ideas she grew up with but I still don't believe that she would have worn that skirt to jog in had they not been filming it.

Look at all the eligible boys - Interesting that the deck building also gave an excuse for Jed, Jeremiah and Justin to have a lot of screen time and talking heads.  Rumor is that Jeremiah is courting but since Jana seems to not be interested JB really needs to push the next generation to the front and a little exposure is just the way to do it.  The twins are 21, Jason is 19, time to get them a car lot of their own and a good fundie gal to settle down with so a little advertising couldn't hurt.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, cereality said:

And I realize it may just be Joe and how unemotional he is but he didn't seem all that thrilled about the pregnancy. I mean he was fine but his reaction of "how about that" . . . doesn't suggest OMG this is the best thing ever. But then what 24 year old man who hardly has a job besides the car lot supporting 75 other brothers is going to be so thrilled about another mouth to feed on a yearly basis . . . .

11 hours ago, Heathen said:

Joe didn't look thrilled when they announced the first (of many) pregnancies, either. I distinctly remember people commenting on it. 

I thought that Joe looked like he was trying to hold back his emotions, tears maybe? I honestly thought he was gonna cry (in a good way)

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And Jessa's house. She's expecting a third child and wants an easier way for the boys to play outside so she adds a 'backdoor'. I'm thinking two boys, 2 and 3 years old still need to be watched outside. Maybe it would have made more sense to close in the carport and add a bedroom or playroom.

When I saw the brothers doing DIY I thought they were gonna build another room not a deck. After all Ivy is gonna need her own room eventually. Unless they have plans to move.

1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

OK the baby reveal was cute, Spurgeon is adorable, little Garret looks just like Joe and Felicity is also cute and has the biggest eyes (in a good way)   Also pretty sure there was a quick Marcus sighting in Jessa's living room during the gender game.  If so they must have stuck Josh (and by extension poor Anna) in some corner where they'd be next to the camera's instead of in the sight line.

I saw Anna I think she was standing next to Johanna at one point. If Josh was there then he was hiding, like he should be no one wants to see him.

All in all though this was another boring episode and yes too much Michelle And JB. I understand when one of their kids get married they have to show them but the rest of the time who cares?

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Heathen said:

As if he isn't part of it??

2 hours ago, Fallacy said:

It was also “guilt free” ice cream, so probably even more boring than a normal vanilla ice cream.

I did have to laugh at that mommy exercise group Jinger joined for a day. They all clearly knew it was filming day and behaved accordingly. I hope none of them expected to see Jinger ever again. 

Jessa’s boys are so dang cute! Spurge is old enough to be potty trained, but I won’t judge too much because boys take forever to potty train fully. Mine was happy to pee in a toilet, but like Spurge, he would go hide behind or beneath a piece of furniture to poop in his pants. After throwing out several pairs of underwear, I bought him some pull ups. He called them diapers though. 

Also, there is just far too much Jim Bob and Michelle this season . They are obviously back on the TLC payroll. 

My son was late on potty training but once he was he never had an accident so it was worth the wait. I remember my friend telling me all about her daughter (who trained young) having accidents all over the house. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, cereality said:

The surprising thing to me is why more of these fundie breeding men don't sneak off and get snipped.  I get that they're raised to think that Jesus wants them to impregnate their wives on a daily basis, but come on!  They still have to face reality now & then, don't they?

• Love 7
10 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

If a 3-year-old announces that he needs a diaper change, then he should be wearing underwear, not a dang diaper IMO.

AMEN!  Is it just lazy parenting on J & B's part?  My kid was trained just before she turned 2.  And it's true, the diapers get stinkier and more disgusting the older the kid gets.  Bleh.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, cereality said:

Yeah..that was disappointing and sad..Joe acting like he gave less than a damm about being a father again. I felt bad for Kenda- getting a side hug.

That was a big bowl of ice cream to comb through after a decent size meal. 

12 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Hmm. Interesting that the J’slaves (Jill, Jana, Jinger and Jessa) are definitely not on the path to 19 kids. I guess nonstop diaper changing of the buddies will do that to you. Jana seems on the pathway to zero kids. But the Jboys all seem blissfully one their way to double digits. Anna must be upset that with each new “blessing” her star falls further. 

Jessa still  has time.. two sets of twins got Michele to that 19 count. Jessa might just have to do it like Ma Bates did- one at a time.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

When my stepdaughter was 18, she ran off and married a much older man (30) who had full custody of his 2 sons, ages 4 and 6.  The 4 year old was still in diapers.   My stepdaughter would show up at our house with a diaper bag like he was a baby.  I think she liked playing "house". The 4 yr old would run into the room & stand with his legs spread & say "I need a diaper change".  She & the man asked us to watch them for a weekend.   I told the 4 year old if he was old enough to know he needed a diaper change,  he was old enough to use the toilet.   I bought pullups & told him to let me know before he had to potty, if he didn't and messed in his pullups, he'd have to change them himself.  By the end of the weekend, he was using the toilet.  Stepdaughter and Man were divorced a month later. 

I have not followed this show in years,  I don't know the names of all of the kids.  There was TH's with 2 boys,  probably around 12 years old,  one had a "J" name,  I think the other was Tyler.   Who does he belong to? 

I cannot believe Ben & Wife are still living in that tiny house, everyone else seems to have a decent size home.   I would think they would want to build more than a deck off the master bedroom.  

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 7

It was a “gender guessing party” because who doesn’t want to attend one of those? 😂

Also is it necessary that if you’re married you have to sit on your husband’s lap? Never mind I already know the answer to that. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, Maya said:

It was a “gender guessing party” because who doesn’t want to attend one of those? 😂

Also is it necessary that if you’re married you have to sit on your husband’s lap? Never mind I already know the answer to that. 

Married people must always be touching in pictures, or how else would you know they get to have S-E-X?

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I can't believe Kendra brought up that Joe still licks his plate sometimes.   I thought she would have broken him of that after the way she talked about it on their honeymoon.  

I thought Jessa's new deck was small for the size yard they have.  I would have made it much larger if it was me.  

Poor Jason. He has already been hit with the curse of the receding Duggar hairline at the  tender age of 19.

& wasn't it in her & Ben's bedroom?? Do they still use that as their room or did they remodel and just not show it.....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maya said:

Well, she was the "teacher" for Duggar Academy. So she wanted to do something intellectually challenging, probably.

I mean, a "guessing game' with only two possibilities (in their view, anyway) really taxes your intellect and your creativity! 

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

Garret was still SO YOUNG when she found out she was pregnant!! OMG. Kendra honey, have more headaches please. My daughter is the same age as Garrett ( 16 mo ) and I would struggle BAD if I had a newborn with my toddler right now. This is a tough age even without a newborn to also deal with. When my daughter was 8 months I literally would have died if I had found out I was pregnant again. I was just getting sleep and getting back to normal. 

Interesting to hear that Joe is still plate lickin'. And this isn't contrived at all. 'Come home early, bring ice cream" lol

This redneck renovation is making me lol. " So where is the center?" I am not sure I would want easier access to the outside with two toddlers. I like barriers with my toddlers. 

JInger- running WITH your baby is not time for yourself. That's multitasking. 

Kendra dropping ice cream and being nervous was actually cute

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

When Joe finally got to the baby announcement glued to the bottom of his bowl and said, "Is that right? and then "How about that?", he sounded just like Jim Bob. I swear I've heard JB utter those same two exact phrases so many times - probably in response to baby announcements, now that I think about it. Of all the Duggar boys, Joe is basically a JB clone when it comes to his mannerisms, voice, and way of speaking. And probably resembles him most in appearance too.  

In other news, Spurge was so freakin' cute last night I almost couldn't stand it. That face, those cheeks  and that head full of curls... seriousky adorable. Getting to see his sweet, mischievous, curious little personality for the first time, really, was the highlight of the season so far.

ETA - I love Kendra to death,  but she should probably leaves the surprises to Joe  (-; The ice cream flying actoss the floor did make me lol, tho. 🤣🤣 She was so nervous I think I had sympathy anxiety just watching. 

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 13
17 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

Garret was still SO YOUNG when she found out she was pregnant!! OMG. Kendra honey, have more headaches please. My daughter is the same age as Garrett ( 16 mo ) and I would struggle BAD if I had a newborn with my toddler right now. This is a tough age even without a newborn to also deal with. When my daughter was 8 months I literally would have died if I had found out I was pregnant again. I was just getting sleep and getting back to normal. 

Interesting to hear that Joe is still plate lickin'. And this isn't contrived at all. 'Come home early, bring ice cream" lol

This redneck renovation is making me lol. " So where is the center?" I am not sure I would want easier access to the outside with two toddlers. I like barriers with my toddlers. 

JInger- running WITH your baby is not time for yourself. That's multitasking. 

Kendra dropping ice cream and being nervous was actually cute

Maybe it is just me but this blows my mind.  This is not adult behavior and seems really not normal.  It says to me this boy 1) never had enough food and 2) manners were what other people had and were NOT taught in their house. Wonder if he does this in restaurants? Maybe I am just old.  

• Love 19

During the gender guessing party I focused more on the crowd than Jessa, and noticed Joy and Austin looked like they'd rather be anywhere else. It seems like the kids who have some measure of independence find the family less and less tolerable as time goes by. 

Spurgeon was really cute during the deck build, especially when he snuck the ice cream sandwiches. 

Joe is still licking his plate?! Good grief. 

I find Kendra alternately sweet and depressing. She's a lovely person, but she's popping out babies at a rapid clip. I don't know if she'll be quite as sunny when she's seven kids deep, trying to make ends meet on Joe's car lot salary. 

Way too much Boob and Michelle.

15 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I thought the same. I don't understand the push for a deck when what they really need is more living space. 

• Love 17
17 hours ago, cereality said:

I think Joe figured it out before he got home.  It isn't like the cameras follow him home to dinner every night.

7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Michelle and JB talking about the old small house with one bedroom then - poof! - "we" built a big house with so much room.  Just gloss over that it took them several years longer than planned, they had to bring in professional "friends" and TLC helped them finish it.  

I couldn't believe they said that.  Also I thought the small old house the Duggars were living in at the start of the series was a 3 bedroom 2 bath house, but I think all the kids shared one bath.   I could be wrong.  Do Jessa and Ben only have one bath in their house?

1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Maybe it is just me but this blows my mind.  This is not adult behavior and seems really not normal.  It says to me this boy 1) never had enough food and 2) manners were what other people had and were NOT taught in their house. Wonder if he does this in restaurants? Maybe I am just old.  

Yep, I am a COL (clueless old lady), and I was absolutely horrified when she said that.  I do think he never had enough to eat.  I could understand his cleaning his plate, but the idea of licking it clean really grosses me out.  Kendra must find it cute or she wouldn't have mentioned it. 

6 hours ago, Puffin said:

All in all though this was another boring episode and yes too much Michelle And JB. I understand when one of their kids get married they have to show them but the rest of the time who cares?

I was so annoyed and tried to FF thru JB and Michelle only to find that when I thought I was safe  from them, they were still talking despite not being in the picture.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

This.  My daughter was always quite independent and I found out I was pregnant with #2 when she was 15 months old.  By the time her brother arrived she was talking, feeding herself, and partially potty trained.  #3 was a surprise, and though my "baby" was the same age his sister had been, he was much more attached to me.  I just felt so guilty that he was still little and I was going to bring another baby into the mix.  It all turned out ok, but I cannot imagine anything less than a 2 year age gap.

• Love 6