Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04 Kendra's Got a Secret

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Annb67 said:

If I've said it once.....WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE SHOCKED WHEN THEY GET PREGNANT?! Let's go over this yet again shall we? If you don't use birth control and you're in your late teens or 20s, the probability of you getting knocked up is pretty high. Don't be shocked or surprised....

What tickled me about kendra was she started not to feel well. She reached in the drawer an found a pregnancy test. She implied it was the last test in the drawer.

1) funny that if one isn't feeling well the first thought is pregnant. Don't they get flu, colds, other illnesses/bugs like the rest of us?

2) the way this group over stock/hoards pregnancy pee sticks amazes me. I guess they never have to worry about expiration dates.

5 weeks? So that means what 7 days at the  most late? I really wish they would keep the news to themselves for a while.

• Love 21
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

AMEN!  Is it just lazy parenting on J & B's part?  My kid was trained just before she turned 2.  And it's true, the diapers get stinkier and more disgusting the older the kid gets.  Bleh.

I can't  speak for Benessa but it wasn't lazy parenting on my part that my son wasn't fully potty trained until he was 4.  I thought sure he would be carrying pullups in his backpack when he went to kindergarten.  He was Ok with peeing but couldn't be bothered with having to poop on the toilet.  Definitely a power struggle & he was holding the reins& he knew it.  He could care less if he had a load in his pants & would walk around all day like that if we had let him.  Basically he didn't want to stop what he was doing to be bothered by going to the bathroom.  What seemed like an eternity later & with some very helpful tricks from his preschool teacher (thank you Miss Brenda!)he got the hang of it & never looked back.  Maybe Jessa wanted to wait for all the hub bub from Ivy's birth to die down before potty training Spurge. 

I love Spurge getting not just 1 but 2 ice cream sandwiches for himself.  He looked happy as can be enjoying his treat all by himself in the living room. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
16 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I can't believe Kendra brought up that Joe still licks his plate sometimes.

I find it interesting that Kendra made the comment. wasn't it derrick who mentioned about Jill eating in the bathroom? So the spouses sometimes let things slip on duggar behavior.

I think the older ones probably often did not have enough to eat before TLC. but also I can see JB telling them something like if you need more to eat lick the plate. or you must lick the plate and instant obedience being their way, they all did it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

In my experience, when a kid says he needs a new diper is not necessary a sign that he should be potty trained.

Kids feel and know that they have already peed or pooped, but to be without dipers they need to know and feel it in advance. So they have to recognize they have to go to potty, they need to be able to keep it until they take their clothes off and then do what they need to. And that is a struggle for some kids.

Feeling you did something is easier than all the preparations before you actually go

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Annb67 said:

If I've said it once.....WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE SHOCKED WHEN THEY GET PREGNANT?! Let's go over this yet again shall we? If you don't use birth control and you're in your late teens or 20s, the probability of you getting knocked up is pretty high. Don't be shocked or surprised....

No kidding!  If these people believed in sex ed (shameful, I know) they would know that it's possible for a girl/woman to get pregnant the VERY FIRST time she lets a penis touch her vagina.  Why, then, do they persist with "ooh, it's SUCH a surprise that I'm PG!  SMH

• Love 13

I loved that "Daddy" was Spurge's favorite uncle, and that he not only opened an ice cream sandwich behind a chair, but hid underneath the slide in the living room to eat it. Classic "I know I'm not supposed to do this, so I'll hide and do it so nobody knows" toddler behavior that drove me crazy when my kids were young, but miss now that my kids are older!

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
(edited)
22 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Was Joy pregnant again or had she lost the baby by then? 

She would have just found out she was pregnant. Her due date and Kendra's were only two days apart. They apparently didn't announce at Jessa's lame party.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

What kind of refrigerator do they have? If they have one where the freezer is to the left of the fridge, that's one thing, but there's no way that Spurge could reach the freezer without help if it is above the fridge. 

I’ve seen the fridge in IG videos and if I remember correctly, the freezer door is on the left, so Spurgie can easily open it if he gets a hankering to.

16 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I’ve seen the fridge in IG videos and if I remember correctly, the freezer door is on the left, so Spurgie can easily open it if he gets a hankering to.

I'm sure it wouldn't  have been a problem for Spurge either if they had the type of fridge with the freezer on the bottom.  I have that kind & a repairman told me kids have been known to pull out the freezer drawer and either stand on the frozen food or edge of the freezer to get things out of the fridge or from on top of it.  The first question the repairman asked me was if there were kids around.

Too bad Jessa missed an IG moment.  That would have been cute with Spurge enjoying his ice cream sandwiches hiding under the slide leaving the evidence (wrappers) behind. 

• Love 1
On 11/5/2019 at 7:22 PM, flyingdi said:

I wonder if Kendra ever loses it cuz I would pay money to see Kendra on an angry rant!

I feel like if she did lose her shit, it would come in the form of some high-pitched squeaky sound. 

Poor Ben. Brewing his coffee. Outside. Dude seems fairly miserable to me.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

My granddaughter was two and a half when she started hiding when she had to poop and then she would take off her diaper and try to put on another one--we had to keep a close eye on her because that could be a real mess!  However, before she turned three she announced she was done with diapers and in the past six months only had one accident and that was at night.  They are all so different~

• Love 4
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't understand the push for a deck when what they really need is more living space. 

Maybe the deck was really for a TLC plot line, not to really help Jessa get more living space. Can’t ask the “cast” to build a real room in one episode.

• Love 11

If my babysitter left my 3 year old child alone long enough to get two ice cream sandwiches and eat one and a half before they were discovered, I wouldn't have them back. Spurgie could have wondered to the road in that time or got into something else that is not safe. 

• Love 19

I am proud of Jinger for seeking out new mom friends. And for continuing to exercise. I hope the new moms fill in some of the gaps (in trying to learn the world that she was sheltered from) she may have.

I'm  ok with the skirt over the leggings...I've seen worse on the jogging trail.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, sATL said:

I am proud of Jinger for seeking out new mom friends. And for continuing to exercise. I hope the new moms fill in some of the gaps (in trying to learn the world that she was sheltered from) she may have.

I'm  ok with the skirt over the leggings...I've seen worse on the jogging trail.

Yes, but did she ever return to the class after filming ended?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Spurge for the one and only WIN in this episode. His first TH and he rocked it. That is one adorable little boy. Not only physically, but his personality is so cute. 

If this has been addressed in the past, I apologize. How come Joy and Austin are rarely in the shows anymore? Did they just get smart and don't want this shit? I see an occasional glimpse, and maybe one TH, but Boob and his sidekick are on more than Joy and Austin.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Fig Newton said:

Spurge for the one and only WIN in this episode. His first TH and he rocked it. That is one adorable little boy. Not only physically, but his personality is so cute. 

If this has been addressed in the past, I apologize. How come Joy and Austin are rarely in the shows anymore? Did they just get smart and don't want this shit? I see an occasional glimpse, and maybe one TH, but Boob and his sidekick are on more than Joy and Austin.

I've never gotten the impression that either Joy or Austin enjoyed being in the spotlight as much as some of the other Duggars and their adjacents. Maybe they've negotiated a deal where they do the bare minimum to be on but don't have as much time with the cameras all up in their business. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It seems like the kids who have some measure of independence find the family less and less tolerable as time goes by. 

It may be the fact that once you get used to a quieter calmer house of two adults ( or two plus 1 child) that the Duggar home chaos become really noticeable to even the Duggar offspring. Austin comes from a family of 4.  The chaos has to be like nails on a chalkboard. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 20
5 hours ago, sATL said:

They drove to San Antonio for a workout. Wasn't there a group in Laredo she could have joined?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They drove to San Antonio for a workout. Wasn't there a group in Laredo she could have joined?

I can see that. Notice all of the moms had a trendy jogging stroller,  access to a community room and probably  decent fashions. I live in a major city and certain fitness classes are clear across town perhaps a couple of counties over.

From what I understand about reality TV shows is they film quite a few mini story lines, then air what fits together in the time allotted. They may still be filming Joy and Austin as much as the others, but they don't make the cut.

Kendra and Jessa check a lot of TLC boxes: Pregnancy announcement, fake gender reveal and little kid talking head. And then they added a carry over from last week's LA story line.

Not sure if they filmed Joy announcing her pregnancy and if they would still air it. I'm guessing the photo shoot was filmed and will probably be aired. And possibly they filmed Joy after the stillbirth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/5/2019 at 11:46 PM, madpsych78 said:

Spurgie had a TH!

Something is wrong with TLC through my cable provider and it has come out so blocky and distorted the past two weeks that I haven't been able to watch. But a Spurgie TH sounds adorable! I love him. Do any of you watch online and is that even available?

On 11/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, Snow Fairy said:

In my experience, when a kid says he needs a new diper is not necessary a sign that he should be potty trained.

Kids feel and know that they have already peed or pooped, but to be without dipers they need to know and feel it in advance. So they have to recognize they have to go to potty, they need to be able to keep it until they take their clothes off and then do what they need to. And that is a struggle for some kids.

Feeling you did something is easier than all the preparations before you actually go

True. I'm uncomfortable being too judgmental about it because I know my sister struggled with potty training her boys and she was not a bad parent.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:10 AM, GeeGolly said:

If my babysitter left my 3 year old child alone long enough to get two ice cream sandwiches and eat one and a half before they were discovered, I wouldn't have them back. Spurgie could have wondered to the road in that time or got into something else that is not safe. 

To be fair, there was a whole camera crew there and the producers may have even encouraged the babysitters to back off and see what Spurgie would get into. (But I haven't been able to watch so am not sure how it played out.)

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, becca3891 said:

To be fair, there was a whole camera crew there and the producers may have even encouraged the babysitters to back off and see what Spurgie would get into. (But I haven't been able to watch so am not sure how it played out.)

The crew has stated they don't interfere with the kids unless they're in danger. Also, Michelle and JB discussed a clause where the younger kids are never left alone with the crew. Even during the THs, Michelle or JB were/are always there, just out of camera range. The kids, even the tweens and teens would often look to them before answering questions.

I also think TLC is wise enough not to take on the liability for being responsible for the kids.

One time when, I think it was Jill and Derick, but maybe Jessa and Ben, were sitting on the front porch swing being filmed, the J daughter said to the cameraman, "You're our accountability partner". The cameraman did not hesitate in saying, "No I'm not".

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, Jer said in a sermon once that there are way too many Catholics in Laredo .... they're satanic, you know. As I understand it, there's a smaller percentage in San Antonio. 😁

Seriously, though, my guess would be that TLC was going to film some other Vuolo activity in San Antonio and arranged this additional activity so they could get a full day of filming out of the trip, since they had to haul all their equipment there anyway.

I'd bet it was a made-for-tv event and that Jingle didn't know these people before it -- or barely knew them -- and has never seen them again. They didn't live in San Antonio. Seems they just went there occasionally for day-trip mini-vacations or meetings or activities at the planting church. Maybe this was a mom's group connected with the big church so it was easy access since they'd be in town anyway that day? This was a one-off workout session for Jinger, I would guess. 

2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:
Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
On 11/6/2019 at 5:36 PM, shoovenbooty said:

I loved that "Daddy" was Spurge's favorite uncle, and that he not only opened an ice cream sandwich behind a chair, but hid underneath the slide in the living room to eat it.

Because you know if it had been his cousin Izzy there would be hell to pay for his sinful and willful nature from Derick.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The crew has stated they don't interfere with the kids unless they're in danger. Also, Michelle and JB discussed a clause where the younger kids are never left alone with the crew. Even during the THs, Michelle or JB were/are always there, just out of camera range. The kids, even the tweens and teens would often look to them before answering questions.

I also think TLC is wise enough not to take on the liability for being responsible for the kids.

One time when, I think it was Jill and Derick, but maybe Jessa and Ben, were sitting on the front porch swing being filmed, the J daughter said to the cameraman, "You're our accountability partner". The cameraman did not hesitate in saying, "No I'm not".

Oh, I'm not saying the camera crew are babysitters or should be. Not at all. And I'm not in the habit of defending the Duggars either! Again, I didn't see the episode, but I do know that it's not abnormal or neglectful for a 3-year-old to briefly be out of direct view.

• Love 2