Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Hobbitses, Physicses and a Ball with Zip

Bort
Message added by Bort

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

• Start Topic

Sheldon is forced to take a break from science when his new obsession with “The Lord of the Rings” leads to an unhealthy habit. Also, Missy asks George Sr. to teach her how to play catch.

Airdate: Thursday, October 17, 2019

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

I love George and Missy together. And I'm so glad he didn't turn Missy's problem over to Mary but was there for her himself.

Even without a dedicated plot line, Georgie had me laughing the whole episode. "I told you to crack a window and leave him in the car."   "Speaking of dying; When you do, can I have your car?"          "Imagine living with this."

Good episode overall.

• Love 23

I love this episode.

George and Missy bonding and George knowing it's about a boy but doesn't push.

Sheldon working out a problem without being annoying even when bugging others with questions.

Mary was concerned about Sheldon without smothering.

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I felt bad for Mary this episode. She looked so hurt when MeeMaw shut down the religion suggestion. Then George kept Missy’s issues private. Which I respect, but I just really felt her hurt.

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, I wonder how much of it stems from her putting Sheldon & his issues almost exclusively ahead of her other children and her husband. It was reminiscent of when Sheldon had a sleepover and Mary was lost without him. Neither Georgie nor Missy wanted to do anything with her.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Missy and George were gold in this episode, proving that "Young Sheldon" is better when Sheldon is not the primary focus. 

Preach. I would watch the George and Missy Show every day and twice on Sunday. I loved it when she asked if the Nolan Ryan information was "a real thing" and George assured her "it's a real thing." 

58 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I thought that Iain did an exceptional job as Gollum!  Poor Sheldon.  He can't even relax enough to enjoy a book without picking it completely apart!  

He was amazing. 

• Love 12

@Spartan Girl @hoodooznoodooz @Runningwild I totally agree about Missy and George. I forgot how well they work together on screen. 

I liked that George kept her secret. It's like he knew it was important for Missy to know she could tell him something and he wouldn't immediately tell her mother. 

1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

I loved George teaching Missy how to catch! They're great together and I liked how he knew her interest was about a boy, and instead of freaking out, he helped her to impress the boy in question.

I'm actually surprised George taught Missy how to play catch. I would have thought he would have said a variation of "that's for boys," but I'm glad he was all in on teaching her. I'm surprised he didn't invite her to watch a game with him the next time there was one on TV.  I was pleased he didn't say anything like "don't get too good, because boys hate it when a girl's better at sports than they are." I also thought it was sweet when he offered to beat up the guy, not that he'd do it, but I liked the gesture. I liked that Missy still wanted to play catch even when the boy was out of the picture. 

• Love 19

This was a good episode. George and Missy were the best. Sheldon/Gollum was so good, he really nailed it. 

Nitpick: Young Sheldon pronounced "Tolkien" (toll keen) correctly. Older Sheldon (as narrator) mispronounced it. Hmm.

• Love 8

Missy & George were the stars of the episode. We got to see Missy's emotional side, but yet she is still a savage lol. Missy & George plotline kinda overshadowed the Sheldon & LOTR plotline but I'm not complaining, Missy & George make a great team together. 

Sheldon as a gollum scene was perfect. Iain did a flawless job. 

Also the conversation between Mary & Georgie & Sheldon & Meemaw at the dinner table was very funny, Mary's face after Sheldon told about what he has read in LOTR was beyond perfect. 😄 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Did they forget adult Sheldon is a pretty good bowler?  I loved the camera pull back/longshot  of Missy and George playing catch.  

Seemed like that might have been his first time. There are still many years for his family to force him into it.

• Love 7

I think the episodes were maybe filmed out of order. Missy had cute shorter hair last week or maybe the week before and this week her hair was back to the super long way she wears it.  Either way it is cute, but I just remembered noticing her cute shoulder-length hair. 

• Love 2

I really loved this show. First of all- I LOVE MISSY SO MUCH! I loved the way her eyes lit up when she was looking at the cute boy. I loved her scenes with George. And I think that George enjoys being with his daughter. I loved the offer to beat the boy up because it made her smile. My favorite part was Missy's curve ball apple shot in cute boy's stupid face. Yes- cute boy is stupid- I call it. He'd have to be stupid to not love Missy as much as I do. There. I said it.

Pretty sure that was Sheldon's first time bowling. I also liked watching him try to do Meemaw's aerobics. And yes a shout out to Golem Ian!

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Did they forget adult Sheldon is a pretty good bowler? 

So?  He may have learned at a later point.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

He *was* good. The ball was smack center against the front pin. He just needed a tad more arm strength. lol 

I had a little sister through Big Brothers Big Sisters that bowled like that.  It would go slow and then stop before it got to the balls, so an employee would have to walk out and get it.  I actually bowl very slowly, but my balls makes it to the end. sometimes it's in the gutter by that time, but it makes it to the end.

2 hours ago, mammaM said:

I know this says more about me than about the show but my favorite part was when Missy beaned her (ex)crush with the apple😂. George would've been proud. Go Missy!

But, he didn't do anything wrong. It's not like they were "dating" and he dumped her. Or that he called her names, or was mean to her in any way, that we know of.  If they were going to have her do that, I would have preferred they give her a valid reason.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

He *was* good. The ball was smack center against the front pin. He just needed a tad more arm strength. lol 

I wonder if that was an intentional homage to Uncle Buck.

• Love 3

It's always nice when Missy gets more to do. I know with such a young actress is going to be managed a little bit more to one liners, but she is quickly becoming a very good actress, especially with the physical stuff.

That catch was legit!

I can't get over how much heart this show has, and how little it relies on cheap laughs.

• Love 14

Another thing I liked in this episode was how they attempted to show us the inner workings of Sheldon's mind during the bingo scene and the bowling scene. I think they did a good job of showing how overwhelming it was for Sheldon and why he was so stressed.

• Love 12

I loved the scenes with George and Missy playing catch.  It seemed like the dropped ball at the end was real, and George's "We'll work on that" was maybe an ad lib?  It all just seemed so natural.

I also loved Memaw's example of Dr. Sturgis as a reason why Sheldon needed a break from science, and Sheldon's response.

• Love 12

Another great episode. More Missy is always a good thing. She's hilarious. They need to have no scenes in the comic book store. I get too distracted looking at the comics and working out which ones I own. I spent far to much brain energy this week trying to figure out which issue of Miracleman was on the rack behind Sheldon.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I know it's been said so many times before, but the girl playing Missy is a tremendous actress and she and George are magic together.  I just love this show!

Also I was a little sleepy when I watched this and at first I thought her crush looked like a girl, LOL, and thought to myself, "They're not really going to go there on this show, are they?"  Then when George asked her whether this was over a boy and she said emphatically "no", I still wasn't sure!  I of course realized later that it was a boy....**Whew**  😉

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know it's been said so many times before, but the girl playing Missy is a tremendous actress and she and George are magic together.  I just love this show!

Also I was a little sleepy when I watched this and at first I thought her crush looked like a girl, LOL, and thought to myself, "They're not really going to go there on this show, are they?"  Then when George asked her whether this was over a boy and she said emphatically "no", I still wasn't sure!  I of course realized later that it was a boy....**Whew**  😉

Same here!

• Love 4

Good episode.  Absolutely agree that Gollum Sheldon was awesome.  I liked the George and Missy storyline but felt that Sheldon trying to get his mind on something besides science was extremely well done.  Loved him trying to do aerobics with Mee Maw - who looks fantastic BTW!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

Another line I liked was in the very beginning at the restaurant, when Sheldon's like, hey, they gave me crayons! What did they expect me to do with them?? Meanwhile Missy drew a ladybug...

For some reason I especially loved her saying goodbye to the ladybug when they moved to the other table.

• Love 4
On 10/17/2019 at 10:33 PM, ChitChat said:

I thought that Iain did an exceptional job as Gollum

He really did. I recently watched one of those promotional behind the scenes videos and, out of character, Iain does not speak, share the mannerisms, or honestly even look that much like Sheldon. I enjoy Jim Parsons, but that's more than he does!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

For some reason I especially loved her saying goodbye to the ladybug when they moved to the other table.

I really like those moments when they remind us that Missy, who is wise beyond her years in a way that Sheldon is not, is actually still a little girl.  I wish they would do that more often with Sheldon, though.

• Love 5
On 10/18/2019 at 12:13 PM, Katy M said:

But, he didn't do anything wrong. It's not like they were "dating" and he dumped her. Or that he called her names, or was mean to her in any way, that we know of.  If they were going to have her do that, I would have preferred they give her a valid reason.

I wanted that too.  If the genders were reversed, that would have been way inappropriate.  His only 'offense' (that we know of) is liking a different girl. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, vteal said:

I wanted that too.  If the genders were reversed, that would have been way inappropriate.  His only 'offense' (that we know of) is liking a different girl. 

I'm not even entirely sure if we know whether he knew she liked him or not.  Which will really leave him scratching that lump on his head.

• Love 2
On 10/18/2019 at 12:13 PM, Katy M said:
On 10/18/2019 at 9:28 AM, mammaM said:

I know this says more about me than about the show but my favorite part was when Missy beaned her (ex)crush with the apple😂. George would've been proud. Go Missy!

THIS. 

Reading the comments I thought I was the only one disgusted with that last scene.  The boy didn't even know Missy liked him.  Just because he liked another girl, she fast balls an apple at his head.  In school today, that would have her suspended - maybe even expelled - for breaking zero tolerance.  That was downright abusive, yet because she's a girl it's okay to possibly put that kid in the hospital with a concussion.  That's nothing for any parent to be proud of

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ctlady said:

THIS. 

Reading the comments I thought I was the only one disgusted with that last scene.  The boy didn't even know Missy liked him.  Just because he liked another girl, she fast balls an apple at his head.  In school today, that would have her suspended - maybe even expelled - for breaking zero tolerance.  That was downright abusive, yet because she's a girl it's okay to possibly put that kid in the hospital with a concussion.  That's nothing for any parent to be proud of

No CTLADY you weren't the only one.  I also thought it didn't fit in with the rest of the episode or with Missy's beyond her years maturity.  It kind of messed with my otherwise great opinion of this episode so I guess I was trying not to think about it.  And we don't even know if the guy really does like another girl.  Missy could be misreading the situation, as often happens on sitcoms.

👋 Waving to fellow Nutmegger 👋

• Love 3
15 hours ago, ctlady said:

Thank you.  I was initially going to post something similar, but when other posters were raving about how much they liked that scene, I didn't post it.  I'm glad you did.

I could NOT watch Sheldon biting his nails and skin!  Ewww! So thankful that I never had that habit, and that no one (knock on wood) in my family does that either.

Great episode. Loved Mee Maw exercising to Richard Simmons. How gorgeous is Annie Potts? She is 66 and her face looks amazing and pretty natural.

• Love 5

I agree with everyone saying this was a great episode with everyone in the cast getting moments to shine.  But my favorite line was from the guy in the comic book store after Sheldon walked away wondering if that was what he sounded like to others.  

Yes that's what we all sound like when we are passionate about something that others find odd.  This show is enjoyable because everyone should embrace their inner geek.

• Love 5

Can I say how glad I am that Mary actually put her foot down (rightly) with Sheldon when he was obsessing over the physics problem. No matter how much of a genius he is, Sheldon does need to sleep and eat. And if it bothers her that he's reading about elves and orcs, she can console herself that Lord of the Rings is pretty straight Christian allegory (Eru is God, Morgoth is Satan and Sauron is the Anti-Christ) - though I doubt Mary would be that happy with any non-Christian story.

Glad that George (Sr) was onto Missy over why she was learning to throw a ball (I'm going to assume what he said was true). sure, the ending was problematic, but it seems in character for Missy (she throws stuff at Sheldon all the time, though she usually has reason to with him).

Loved Comic Book Guy realising how he (might) sound too!

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:02 AM, Sarah 103 said:

I'm actually surprised George taught Missy how to play catch.

I'm not. Georgie (Sr) is too old to play with his dad and Sheldon clearly isn't interested. He wouldn't be the first dad to treat his daughter like a replacement son.

Spoiler

Indeed, we've seen that Penny got exactly that treatment from her father on TBBT. And Sheldon will reprise his role as Gollum in The Precious Fragmentation.

• Love 4

For the first time I was actually a bit irritated by this episode  - simply because of Sheldon supposedly finding obscure inconsistencies in the LOTR timeline.  Any Tolkien fan knows that he spent ages working on the timeline to make sure everything was consistent