Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Fool's Gold

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, John M said:

As someone in a same-sex marriage it's amazing to watch from the outside at the way gender stereotypes are so ingrained in heterosexual relationships.

Like, conceptually so many straight people just can't wrap their head around how a household of two men can even function. Yes, we both pay bills, we both pick up our immaculate house, we both do laundry, we both cook, we grocery shop together, just the concept of two men dividing household labor equally without falling into chaos is just mind blowing to people.

Who are the people this is mind blowing to? Most heterosexual relationships from late baby boomers to millennials operate on equal footing. I’ve had one marriage (GenX here) and two LTRs, and in each case we shared finances, cooking, shopping, and cleaning.  Why is it inconceivable that two men wouldn’t do the same?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
14 minutes ago, John M said:

Well, it sucks, but they clearly can't live in the same country and raise a child together, they should have considered that before producing it.

Absolutely.  But oddly no one here seems to blame Jihoon for his part in the actual pregnancy.  Maybe if he has absolutely no ability to support a child, he should've put a rubber on it or not had sex with her.  I think he's just more likable in general that people here seem to feel sorry for him as if he's the poor hapless guy sticking his penis in baby hungry women trying to trap him.

Edited by sasha206
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
19 minutes ago, John M said:

My god, get your own house in order before telling the man you let get you pregnant how he is doing things wrong. 

Is that you, Fidel? 

19 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

You guys. How embarrassed am I to tell you I have a bidet attachment to my terlet I’ve never used?

Do you need Jihoon to demonstrate it for you? 

• LOL 24
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Jihoon confessed his debt situation when they were at the fish market ....

The term Jenny was looking for is side action...

A sidekick is an associate with less authority, a partner...not a f*ck buddy

or a side piece

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Karine finally gives birth! They need to mature up, and start becoming more responsible. However, I'm not expecting that to happen. I wonder when Mother comes to visit if she'll request some of her grandson's hair so she can sniff it on the plane ride back home. 

I imagine her frantically running from hairbrush to hairbrush and drain to drain in her house and gathering all her random bits of hair so she can fashion a doll for baby Pierre. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
Just now, magemaud said:

as probably 99% of Americans do 

Not anymore! I just tried it. Had a dead spider on it since I tucked it behind the terlet for so long. It’s pretty good, but you need two squares of 2 ply TP to dry off.  I use one ply genetic TP. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, MajorNelson said:

or a side piece

Maybe Sumit was hoping for the situation that the very intoxicated man at the liquor store was ranting to me about regarding "How my baby mama gonna get wit my side bitch soon as I fall asleep?"

As for Pole it would be difficult to be an LPN with that felony on his record. Professional licensing boards do not like felonies.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, vmcd88 said:

That bidet is cool but I dont understand how Jihoon's shower works.  I dont belive he only has $5K more to repay.  He lied about everything else so I'm sure he's lying about how much he has left to pay.  Jenny is way to old be that stupid.  

If he's making $4000 per month and he saved (paid down his debt) $3125 per month for 8 months that would be $25,000 paid down.  Theoretically possible with his parents feeding him.

Until shown otherwise, I will think that once the pregnancy and Deaven moving hit him square in the face, he got busy and cleaned up his accounts.  That means in the debt paydown phase that he has no savings, but it's what he had to do.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

Because he's the father?  And he, as stupidly as she, fucked someone they didn't know and created his son?  And now they are in his country, presumably because he can't come to the US? 

I'm hoping you meant the sole supporter of the child, not that he you don't understand why he is expected to provide support.

I didn't say that clearly,  I was meaning the daughter.   She keeps saying he needs to make enough to support her & 2 kids.   I do believe though,  she is just as financially responsible to support those kids as he is.   She keeps questioning him about savings,  etc.  What about her,  she claims to have quit a good job to move to Korea,  was living with her parents... where is her savings?  

None of these people,  regardless of age,  has thought anything through.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Actually, Sumit showed Jenny exactly who he was when he originally catfished her.  He's a liar.  He started their relationship by lying and continued to do so.  She chose to believe that she could "change him" as, unfortunately, many other people tend to believe (I'm different, I can change him/her...).  I think he is on a different level from most of the scammers we see on these shows, but he really did show Jenny who he was.  The person with whom I sympathize is his wife.  Well, I also sympathize with Jenny's daughter and her wife because they tried to get Jenny to see who he was.  

I hope that both Jihoon and Ronald are barred from entering the U.S. due to their criminal endeavors.  I also now understand why Tiffany was so quick to defend Deaven at the beginning of the season, as they both chose to not only get involved with men they hardly knew, they also procreated with these same men and then are shocked, shocked I tell you, that they did not fully know these men and are continually "surprised" by what they find out.

I am not entertained by Laura and her delight in lying to Aladin.  My heart went to the lamb that is giving its life for this sham of a relationship and marriage.

So, finally Karine's baby is born.  Yawn.  I know that Paul's mother wants to meet her grandson, but I'm afraid that the U.S. is in for a terrible blow when Paul's mother decides to sponsor Karine and Pierre which will mean that they will all be here.  I guess that Brazil's gain is our loss...

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
13 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

As for Pole it would be difficult to be an LPN with that felony on his record. Professional licensing boards do not like felonies.

Perhaps. But, not to knock LPNs, but many of them do look like convicted felons

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

I didn't say that clearly,  I was meaning the daughter.   She keeps saying he needs to make enough to support her & 2 kids.   I do believe though,  she is just as financially responsible to support those kids as he is.   She keeps questioning him about savings,  etc.  What about her,  she claims to have quit a good job to move to Korea,  was living with her parents... where is her savings?  

None of these people,  regardless of age,  has thought anything through.  

Ah, got it!  Supporting the daughter that isn't bio daughter!  Hopefully she gets child support from other daughter's dad.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

I want to know how long Sumit has been married. Haven't Jenny and Sumit been together for YEARS? If Sumit has been married for years he is a huge scumbag.

So what is Sumit's endgame? I truly don't understand.  

In the discussion with the daughter...7 years!  Earlier in the season I had heard Jenny say 5 years, but they might be thinking 7 for the earliest catfishing days

BUT...what the heck, why has this played out this way?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

I don't think it would be a good cuh-reer for a germaphobe. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

I just remembered hearing Pole barking at Karini while she was birthing their baby, "CMON, CMON" it was most disconcerting.

He was practically growling at her! Now Karini is all good with Pole because why? She's as gross as he is. 

52 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

What about her,  she claims to have quit a good job to move to Korea,  was living with her parents... where is her savings?  

I really want an answer to this. Deavon is an entitled brat. Where is all your money Deavon? And if I hear one more time from any of them:" I gave up everything to come here......." 

Laura's discussion with Aladin while waiting to choose the lamb for slaughter (which was disturbing enough) was cringeworthy. No jiggy jiggy lately. Poor Laura. The sex is so bad she dug her purple friend out of the garbage for future use!! 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Not anymore! I just tried it. Had a dead spider on it since I tucked it behind the terlet for so long. It’s pretty good, but you need two squares of 2 ply TP to dry off.  I use one ply genetic TP. 

the 90DF franchise just keeps on opening new worlds to all of us

• LOL 15
  • Love 5

I don't trust the producers, so I am unconvinced as to what extent Sumit is actually married.  They needed a shocking line to end the episode on, but there's no context.  Has he been married for years and has children?  Is he in an arranged marriage that he's not happy in and has a genuine emotional connection to Jenny?  Is he in the process of divorcing his wife after which he'll be fully available?  None of those show him in a good light, but some are less damning than others.  And the last option describes some of the Americans featured recently. 

But props to TLC finally showing a same-sex relationship on the show, even if it's not 1 of the primary couples.  You'd think after this many seasons there'd be at least 1 same-sex binational couple interested...

Though the theme from this and all of the 629 90DF versions seems to be that binational couples are nearly all desperate.  Often it seems like an older American desperate for romance and/or human contact, and a younger foreigner desperate for upward socioeconomic mobility.  And as a bonus, there's often there's a past criminal record that helps explain why 1 or both partners have been unsuccessful in love.  As someone in a same-sex binational relationship who had drama with the visa process, it's disappointing that I can pretty much count on 1 hand the number of genuine, loving relationships featured on the show.

• Love 3

some of my favorite moments of this episode:

Paul: (timidly peeking into the labor room) "kreeny?"

Karine: "SHUT UP PAUL."

Paul: "Karine wants me here for the delivery."

Then Paul shouting like his favorite team made a touchdown: "YES! YES!" and "YOU DID IT!" as the baby emerges.

And yes, please mention that your doubts about his true paternity are alleviated a mere seconds after he's born.

Jenny's daughter in law promising with a grim face to mess up Sumit if it's needed.

Deavan: "This is not the kind of man I wanted to be married to and to raise my children." Honey, maybe you should have gotten to know him before you became impregnated. Just a thought. 

Deavan very gamely eating octopus which was wiggling and was like "a gummy worm with rocks in it."

Jihoon: "the phones were.... lost."

Liam with a frozen grin on his face while Aladin gamely calls him "Cowboy" and offers to introduce him to his family.

• LOL 5
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

as probably 99% of Americans do 

I have been in a few hotel rooms with a bidet and had no curiosity to use, once you rinse you would be all wet, right? 

Who remembers when Sonja, (from RHNY was in London) filled hers with ice and dunked her face in it as her beauty regime!

12 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Liam with a frozen grin on his face while Aladin gamely calls him "Cowboy" and offers to introduce him to his family.

There is a horse named Liam at the barn where I ride, I often think of Human Liam when I see Horse Liam, Horse Liam is 100% less awkward than Human Liam.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

Do anyone of these idiots ever think about doing a background check on their beloveds? I mean, a few days on Mr. Google and Soshul Medeeah could easily uncover lots of info on people, especially ones who troll dating websites. Not to mention that a background check would uncover a criminal record, something that is a non-starter for those looking to bring their fiance to the US.

I think there is a lot of intentional ignorance going on with them. They want so badly for their love story to be real that they don't want pesky facts getting in the way. 

Once the endorphins start getting dumped into their bloodstreams even bright people are not going to think straight.  I have a friend who was taken by a scammer with a fake profile and photo, and when she sent me his photo I knew she was being scammed.  You cannot talk to people in this mindset.  They don't hear you.  I asked, "Have you looked into his background to be sure he is who he says he is?"  "Oh, yes, do you think I'm stupid?"  Well, yes, I'm afraid she was -- about this, anyway.  It's not that much different from when someone has an extramarital affair; they are so wrapped up on the fantasy that they don't know and don't care what the potential damage might be.

• Love 3

He did say he made $ 4000 DOLLARS a month "delivering" something. Whatever he's dealing in, it can't possibly be legal. 

Did he say US dollars? Maybe he meant SK dollars?

Deavan admitting that she did not know a lot about Jihoon should have been here "aha moment" but no, it was not.  She could be a grown up and tell Jihoon that she needs to go back to the US until they get their money together and really think about where it would be best for the children.

Why do the women say they cannot go back home if things don't work out with (enter name here)? Are they running from the law? LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Did he say US dollars? Maybe he meant SK dollars?

Deavan admitting that she did not know a lot about Jihoon should have been here "aha moment" but no, it was not.  She could be a grown up and tell Jihoon that she needs to go back to the US until they get their money together and really think about where it would be best for the children.

Why do the women say they cannot go back home if things don't work out with (enter name here)? Are they running from the law? LOL.

This is why none of these idiots should be procreating until they can establish who lives where and how being together in a different environment would be, and whether they could actually stand the person they are marrying once they actually live together.  There's a part of me that would feel sorry for Jihoon if she took the baby and went back home and a part of me that would feel bad for Pole if he was given the heave-ho.  Can't imagine being far away from my kid!  But I would not want to not live in the US.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1

I don't think it would be a good cuh-reer for a germaphobe. 

It would be a dream, scrubs, masks, gloves, that hair thing, and paper shoes maybe. Pole would love it! 

It depends on your record, how it was resolved, and whether prison time was a factor in professional licensing. I know more than one insurance agent/adjuster with priors. They were able to be licensed because the employer advocated for them. Sort of like co-signing. Not sure about healthcare providers. Maybe Pole could be a CNA? Big Ange is, and I’m sure she has many interactions over the years with the law. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
2 minutes ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

Once the endorphins start getting dumped into their bloodstreams even bright people are not going to think straight.  I have a friend who was taken by a scammer with a fake profile and photo, and when she sent me his photo I knew she was being scammed.  You cannot talk to people in this mindset.  They don't hear you.  I asked, "Have you looked into his background to be sure he is who he says he is?"  "Oh, yes, do you think I'm stupid?"  Well, yes, I'm afraid she was -- about this, anyway.  It's not that much different from when someone has an extramarital affair; they are so wrapped up on the fantasy that they don't know and don't care what the potential damage might be.

Yep, I had a coworker who reconnected with some guy she met during a study abroad semester 30 years ago. We kept saying to her why marry him, it's not like you are going to have babies. She was so caught up in the romance of it all, complete with flying a wedding dress to Europe, that she wasn't about to listen to us. Next thing you know, he is in the US on a tourist visa and she is sponsoring him for citizenship. Turns out he was a convicted felon (drug dealer) in his own country so there was no way he was ever getting US citizenship. And he started hitting her. It cost big $$$ to get divorced and get him out of her house. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Who remembers when Sonja, (from RHNY was in London) filled hers with ice and dunked her face in it as her beauty regime!

Sonja "Brown Ice" Morgan also washes her panties in the bidet and her sex toys in the dishwasher (with dishes, hey gotta save water)

Edited by Ki-in
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, John M said:

Does Deaven understand how sex works? She hasn't even taken responsibility for the child she already has so she has another child with someone similarly unequipped to raise a child.

My god, get your own house in order before telling the man you let get you pregnant how he is doing things wrong. 

I may have missed it, but has there been a DNA test?  I would not be surprised if the baby was not even his, which would make it even dumber of her to hook up with this child-man.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Ahhh yes, because the newborn baby just one minute out of the womb looks just like him! 

Is it possible that she hooked up with ANOTHER  South Korean guy and got pregnant? She did say she dated several others previously to Jihoon. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

Is it possible that she hooked up with ANOTHER  South Korean guy and got pregnant? She did say she dated several others previously to Jihoon. 

or even non-Korean...…….I am not noticing any definite features to decide his ethnic makeup.

18 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

We were actually posting about Pole's reaction to seeing the baby but this could apply to Jihoon, too. 

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, Shieldmaiden said:

It’s possible you just use the handheld shower sprayer and stand over the drain in the floor - I haven’t been to Korea but when I was staying with a Greek friend in Athens, (named Euripides! sister named Athena!) he showed me to the bathroom where there was a drain in the floor and a tub but no shower curtain of any kind...I sat in the tub and carefully used the handheld shower head to take a shower. When I was done his mom came in with a mop and looked around wondering where all the water she was expecting to mop up was - I guess they just stood in the tub, sprayed away and mopped up later...

Trying to remember if it was Copenhagen, Rotterdam or Hannover (maybe Budapest) of my international travels that had this arrangement.  I know I've seen it before.

On topic - Sumit should be beaten senseless for his participation in this monstrosity.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't get it as one, Jenny isn't rich by any means and two, he seemed to really care for her. I'm trying to think is he really evil? Is he spineless and was manipulated by his family to marry? 

Early on I got the impression it was Jenny  that took the bull by the horns and moved lock stock and empty barrel to India, that Sumit was more than happy with the status quo. I think he enjoyed talking to her having that connection, but that the talk of eventually being together was just a bunch of talk. He knew his parents would never approve. Maybe Jenny could come over occasionally to India and they could hang out. I don’t think he ever thought it would get to where it is. But he’s spineless, with her as well as with his family. Her daughter was right , he  isn’t a strong man. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mr. Minor said:

I don’t see how there’s any way Dracula could come and live in Korea as long as they are living with his parents.

Mom may have a cold but we know the anal is clean. 👍🏻

I would watch a 90 Day spinoff about Drascilla’s adventures in the sewage system of Seoul after throwing herself down the drain to get away from her new hamily. 90 Day Fiancé: Down the Drain.

4 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

I imagine her frantically running from hairbrush to hairbrush and drain to drain in her house and gathering all her random bits of hair so she can fashion a doll for baby Pierre. 

Have you seen their Cameos? (skip to 2:00 mark of that video) Baby Pierre was actually given a clip-in extension or similar hairpiece to play with. If he’s really lucky, the hoarders’ nest will also have a bathroom with a drain large enough for escape.

Edited by nutella fitzgerald
add link to Baby Pierre and his hair lovey
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, hookedontv said:

This may not be popular opinion but... Jenny is not only gullible or naive - she is incredibly stupid. It's not as if she didn't have people pointing out the obvious flaws of her decision to leave everything behind and move to India. Jenny wouldn't listen to anyone, she is absolutely terrible at making life decisions. 

No debate there.  But I'm inclined to believe this other marriage happened in between the two visits.  Mom and Dad weren't having it and they arranged a quickie marriage and Sumit was essentially powerless to prevent it. 

HOWEVER, once it happened, he had a legal and ethical reason, no matter the culture, to 'fess up before all these plans were put in motion.  

I agree that Jenny was about as dumb as they come with all of this.  But she had no reason to believe the nefariousness that would take place while she was back in the States.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, futurechemist said:

I don't trust the producers, so I am unconvinced as to what extent Sumit is actually married.  They needed a shocking line to end the episode on, but there's no context.  Has he been married for years and has children?  Is he in an arranged marriage that he's not happy in and has a genuine emotional connection to Jenny?  Is he in the process of divorcing his wife after which he'll be fully available?  None of those show him in a good light, but some are less damning than others.  And the last option describes some of the Americans featured recently. 

But props to TLC finally showing a same-sex relationship on the show, even if it's not 1 of the primary couples.  You'd think after this many seasons there'd be at least 1 same-sex binational couple interested...

Though the theme from this and all of the 629 90DF versions seems to be that binational couples are nearly all desperate.  Often it seems like an older American desperate for romance and/or human contact, and a younger foreigner desperate for upward socioeconomic mobility.  And as a bonus, there's often there's a past criminal record that helps explain why 1 or both partners have been unsuccessful in love.  As someone in a same-sex binational relationship who had drama with the visa process, it's disappointing that I can pretty much count on 1 hand the number of genuine, loving relationships featured on the show.

I've told my story on here with a former beau who is now ten years or more into his multi-national, green card marriage - they haven't lived together for probably three years now.  He got taken to the cleaners emotionally.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Why is Pole wearing gloves?

He really is just an irritant.

Shut up, women have babies without pain meds.

Karine absolutely deserves her TLC money...she is exposed totally....how about covering her up and letting her have some dignity.....

I wouldn't want to!  Did they say why Kreeeny couldn't have pain meds? 

11 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

My sympathies are all with Mrs. Sumit.  What a piece of scum he has turned out to be.  We all knew Jenny was gullible and emotionally immature.  I really wish that Christina and Jen were there to confront him!!

SCUM-meat!

5 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Perhaps his criminal background will prevent him from being able to move to the US and this is why she is there?  And she can't work there for a while?

I must have missed it - he has a criminal background?

4 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Who are the people this is mind blowing to? Most heterosexual relationships from late baby boomers to millennials operate on equal footing. I’ve had one marriage (GenX here) and two LTRs, and in each case we shared finances, cooking, shopping, and cleaning.  Why is it inconceivable that two men wouldn’t do the same?  

I also wonder who thinks the man takes care of the woman.. unless one person is home with the kids, and in that case, yes someone goes to work, and someone is home - man or woman. 

I am sure there are hetero couples who believe the man is the provider, etc. but I don't think it is all that common.

3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

That was awesome.

18 hours ago, mamadrama said:

In an actual documentary, a piece in which the filmographers are meant to be inactive observationists, there's a certain amount of ethics involved. But this is not an educational series. If they knew and didn't tell her then it's not because they didn't want to get involved-it's because they knew they had a humdinger of a plot twist to surprise us with and this probably made them salivate. 

Reminds me of "The vulture and the Little Girl" photo, and how the people documenting do not intervene.

• Love 2

I feel like every episode has Jihoon wrinkling up his little face into a wince and saying, “I did a bad.” Love him and his sparkly ass, but he may be a thief.

Sumit was a shocker! But Jenny was a dumbass for hooking up with someone who definitely catfished her once. I’m sure he wasn’t expecting to see ol’ Droopy Dog and her streamer neck during her first visit either. He probably immediately proposed to someone with tighter skin and hoped for the best.

Pole yelling in his newborn’s ear as he fist pumped the air was scarier than Karine’s bellowing.

Laura needs a cold shower. I would tell her to get an extra plane seat for “purple friend” on her way back to the States with Hopalong Cassidy.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I want to know how long Sumit has been married. Haven't Jenny and Sumit been together for YEARS? If Sumit has been married for years he is a huge scumbag.

So what is Sumit's endgame? I truly don't understand.  

You've seen Sumit, right?  He's a wimpy guy.  A catfish with a conscience.

Although his original endgame would have been a US greencard, like Azan, he's pretty lame at a) the long con  and b) picking a worthwhile mark

I think his parents probably arranged a marriage for the day after Jenny left the first time.  Then he didn't want to disrespect/dishonour his parents so he went through with the marriage.  He didn't want to break Jenny's heart, so he neglected to update her on his situ.  Then years went by, Jenny uprooted  her life and sad-sack Sumit ended up in a fine mess.  Give the guy a break, he only had 7 years to man up.  Give him time.

• LOL 11
  • Love 6