Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Fool's Gold

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, fountain said:

It kind of pisses me off the Deaven acts like now that she has a baby with a man who stayed that he is 100% responsible to pay all the bills. Why didn’t she save up for Korea expenses? Sure she probably cannot work there right now but she did have about 9 months to save. It just seems so sexist to me.

The whole show is totally sexist in that way. All the men have to "step up" and "provide". None of the women apparently need to lift a manicured finger. Its such an outdated notion. Even Jenny's daughter sobbed "Make sure he takes care of you!". Sheesh. Jenny had been independent and worked, hadn't she? Why did she need to have someone "take care" of her? Why wasn't Deavan saving money? She supposedly had such a wonderful job.

16 minutes ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

I hate to get gross, but Laura could be in perimenopause.  For some women, the hormones go off the charts during that time.  It's like Mother Nature knocking on your door and saying "Dearie, you know it's getting late.  If you're going to have [a / another] baby, ou'd better get moving!"  I was ridiculous during that time in a way I'd never been before.  It lasted through much of my 40s and by the time I hit menopause, it was like a switch being turned off.  I suspect that Laura is in that nature-knocking phase, in which case Aladin may be in for an unpleasant surprise when she hits that "lights out" time.

Hahahahahaha, Aladin will be long gone by then!

• Love 10
11 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I called that Sumit is married or have a girlfriend because going back to his parents is really suspicious but it is actually his wife, if I were Jenny, I would pack her bags immediately and never talk to Sumit ever again 

If only that would really happen. Of course, I don't know what its like to be so horrendously double catfished and fall in love with a snaggletoothed lying liar from across the world so there's that too.

11 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Skipper lying about purple vibrator....again!  Good Lord leave that thing alone.  Liam, you can't go inside for a few minutes to meet his family?  That was rude.  It wasn't like they all wanted you to go out clubbing  - just pop inside, say hello and explain you are very tired from a long flight.  

Good gawd woman, give it a break. How many orgasms do you require on a daily basis in order to function normally?

10 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Liam, you could have called your mom from your nice hotel and told her that you would love to meet her and Aladin for breakfast the next day. You were kinda rude - yes, it can be explained as jet lag or a 22 hour flight or something. All you wanted was to get a good night's sleep, a snack, and a hot shower.

I felt bad for Aladin, he seemed to genuinely want to engage with Liam and was shot down. Not a good first impression there Liam. Manners are manners and you've also embarrassed your mother.

1 hour ago, Azubah said:

Yeah, I saw the part where he said he had $30K worth of debt; I didn't see where he said he'd knocked it down to $5K.

If its true, its impressive. Clearly that's what he's been doing over the past several months instead of saving up for Deaven to get her own bidet.

I have to admit. I wasn't sure which way Sumit's story was going to go so when he admitted to being married, I gasped. I'd have clutched my hanky if I had one on hand I was that surprised. I'll never understand how people can be so viciously selfish as to manipulate and use people like he's done to her.

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 20
54 minutes ago, fountain said:

It kind of pisses me off the Deaven acts like now that she has a baby with a man who stayed that he is 100% responsible to pay all the bills. Why didn’t she save up for Korea expenses? Sure she probably cannot work there right now but she did have about 9 months to save. It just seems so sexist lazy to me.

Fixed it for you. 😊

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Somebody please... I’m not sure why a bidet hasn’t really caught on in the states (maybe because we aren’t as 21st century as we believe).  Jihoon says it saves toilet paper.  Is this true?  You’d have to use toilet paper, or you’d stand up with wet butt.  AMIRIGHT?

My husband was in the plumbing supply business and brought one of these bidet seats home. Was very skeptical at first and didn't want it but now I think it is absolutely the best thing EVER!  And no, it doesn't spray all over your ass, just on the pertinent parts, and some even have air dryers!  As he likes to say, "some people spray it off; American's just smear it around!"  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 10
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Even if production know Sumit is married, I don't believe it's in their place to inform Jenny. I have a feeling they married him off after her last visit.

I thought Liam rude.  Aladin was trying to make him feel welcome.  He clearly doesn't want to be there.  Perhaps he should have stayed home.

Aladin was very welcoming to him and he should have said a quick hello to the family. Liam maybe justified in thinking this will end up badly, but so far Aladin has been nothing less than nice to Laura. Yes he has gotten annoyed or upset with her, but nothing that would raise alarm bells (YET).  I think Liam is overly attached/protective of his mom, but he needs to step back. It’s Laura’s life to live, his job is to support her and help pick up the pieces if it goes south. He might be surprised to find that Aladin  is a nice guy.  

But that could change!!

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The whole show is totally sexist in that way. All the men have to "step up" and "provide". None of the women apparently need to lift a manicured finger. Its such an outdated notion. Even Jenny's daughter sobbed "Make sure he takes care of you!". Sheesh. Jenny had been independent and worked, hadn't she? Why did she need to have someone "take care" of her? Why wasn't Deavan saving money? She supposedly had such a wonderful job.

Hahahahahaha, Aladin will be long gone by then!

I view it a little differently because the same money concerns have been expressed by the foreign fiances and the women bringing them over (like Danielle and Mohammed).  If you are moving across the world and you can't work for a long time, your fiance's finances are pretty important.  That said, hey, Deaven, how about not procreating with someone you don't fucking know?  

And I'm sure the subtext of Jenny's daughter's comment was, "Don't let him take all of your money."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Azubah said:

Or it could be a blessed relief.

Everyday will be like Ramadan.

I heard Jihoon say he paid his debt down to 5k. Now we know why he’s still living with the parents and had “no” money saved.  What’s not to like? He’s funny, cute, paying for his mistakes, and has a clean anal. Just having a super clean ass makes him a star in my book. Deaven snotting about the apartment was petty. It’s perfectly nice for the two people it was intended for. Shut up, help your mother in law around the house, and use some of YOUR money YOU made with your “good job” to put down on the apartment, and let Jihoon handle monthly expenses.

We didn’t see Jenny dealt a blow this episode, but will suffer the mother of all blows in the next. I’ve grown fond of the old girl, but damn is she naive to think she could swoop in and nab an Indian man in his thirties. There is no way he would be “single”, since his parents have probably been negotiating for him for the past 10 years.

Pole could train as an LPN or something similar.  He was super calm and helpful during the birth. Say what you will about him, I have a soft spot for him.

Liam was an ass to Alydar. The guy was being friendly and welcoming. Go say hi to his parents you man child.

It irks me that we don’t see the Americans (and one odious Canadian) compliment their future in laws on their homes. Aladdin’s home has some beautiful textiles, and Jihoon’s is colorful and fairly modern. Looks like they have bamboo floors, or  a good bamboo looking pergo material. Yes they are small, but that’s the reality out of the US.

• Love 20
9 hours ago, moonbunnychan said:

Oh and Laura....is she like a sex addict or something geez.  Sometimes "jiggy jiggy" (blech) takes a backseat to other stuff.  You don't HAVE to make love or use your purple friend on a daily uninterruptible basis, especially when other stuff is going on.

Laura is clearly a “Samantha”

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

Am I the only one that thinks Jihoon is lying about the debt he paid down and the job and income he now has?  I don't believe, even living at home, that he paid off most of the debt nor do I believe he's got some hot job right now.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I think he's been married for YEARS. His wife is stashed away in a village somewhere, probably with his parents. I bet none of them live in New Delhi. That's how he could fix Jenny up there. He worked in the city and every so often spent a few weeks with the fam back home. The mind positively reels at the levels of duplicity. And for what? Old wrinkly hangdog Jenny, and her paltry social security check??

I hope she's feisty as fuck and makes his life a misery for the rest of his days. What an asshole.

OMG. Thanks for this. Summit is evil but what was his angle? Does he have some sort of fetish?

Why do these old women think these young dudes, and in the case of Laura, a hot young dude, are sincerely interested in them with no ulterior motives? Have they looked in the mirror during the past 10+ years in which they gained weight, neglected their skin, forgot the importance of regular shampoo and other hair care tips, etc.? 

I agree that Liam is being totally rude and from the previews will continue to be so, but he took one look at that fine ass Aladdin and said, Yeah, right.

43 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

I continue to be amused that Deavan has anchored herself to the least ambitious Asian person of all time (I'm Asian...I can say that...LOL).  Did she arbitrarily believe that Taeyung (who is a cutie pie) being born was going to turn Jihoon into a responsible person?!   That said, Jihoon got JOKES.  The way we cackled in my house at his "clean anal" routine. LOL.   

Word on all counts.

20 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

It irks me that we don’t see the Americans (and one odious Canadian) compliment their future in laws on their homes. Aladdin’s home has some beautiful textiles, and Jihoon’s is colorful and fairly modern. Looks like they have bamboo floors, or  a good bamboo looking pergo material. Yes they are small, but that’s the reality out of the US.

Good points.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, politichick said:

OMG. Thanks for this. Summit is evil but what was his angle? Does he have some sort of fetish?

I don't get it as one, Jenny isn't rich by any means and two, he seemed to really care for her. I'm trying to think is he really evil? Is he spineless and was manipulated by his family to marry? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 8

That bidet is cool but I dont understand how Jihoon's shower works.  I dont belive he only has $5K more to repay.  He lied about everything else so I'm sure he's lying about how much he has left to pay.  Jenny is way to old be that stupid.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

I view it a little differently because the same money concerns have been expressed by the foreign fiances and the women bringing them over (like Danielle and Mohammed).  If you are moving across the world and you can't work for a long time, your fiance's finances are pretty important.  That said, hey, Deaven, how about not procreating with someone you don't fucking know?  

And I'm sure the subtext of Jenny's daughter's comment was, "Don't let him take all of your money."

Oh, I get that. Its completely irresponsible for the women to not sort that stuff out up front. But once they land their man, they become dainty flowers, who need to be "taken care of" and "provided for". And not just in these instances. Andrei, Asuelu, JAY for cryin out loud, all got the "you have to step up! you have to PROVIDE!" lecture. .

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Oh, I get that. Its completely irresponsible for the women to not sort that stuff out up front. But once they land their man, they become dainty flowers, who need to be "taken care of" and "provided for". And not just in these instances. Andrei, Asuelu, JAY for cryin out loud, all got the "you have to step up! you have to PROVIDE!" lecture. .

Oh yeah, I don't like the "provide" and "take care of" lingo but I would not be happy if my mate seemed to lack any ambition.  But I'm not one of these idiots that decide to marry a stranger they've barely spent any time with!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Jihoon confessed his debt situation when they were at the fish market ....

The term Jenny was looking for is side action...

A sidekick is an associate with less authority, a partner...not a f*ck buddy

I was thinking side piece when she said that.

• Love 16
17 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't get it as one, Jenny isn't rich by any means and two, he seemed to really care for her. I'm trying to think is he really evil? Is he spineless and was manipulated by his family to marry? 

The man was cutting her toenails for the love of Mike.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, vmcd88 said:

That bidet is cool but I dont understand how Jihoon's shower works.  I dont belive he only has $5K more to repay.  He lied about everything else so I'm sure he's lying about how much he has left to pay.  Jenny is way to old be that stupid.  

It’s possible you just use the handheld shower sprayer and stand over the drain in the floor - I haven’t been to Korea but when I was staying with a Greek friend in Athens, (named Euripides! sister named Athena!) he showed me to the bathroom where there was a drain in the floor and a tub but no shower curtain of any kind...I sat in the tub and carefully used the handheld shower head to take a shower. When I was done his mom came in with a mop and looked around wondering where all the water she was expecting to mop up was - I guess they just stood in the tub, sprayed away and mopped up later...

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Somebody please... I’m not sure why a bidet hasn’t really caught on in the states (maybe because we aren’t as 21st century as we believe).  Jihoon says it saves toilet paper.  Is this true?  You’d have to use toilet paper, or you’d stand up with wet butt.  AMIRIGHT?

They're really popular in Europe too, it seems like they're gaining popularity in N. America as well especially since there's all kinds of options now, lol. Some of them have built in dryers, but even if it doesn't, you still don't use as much toilet paper. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

Good gawd woman, give it a break. How many orgasms do you require on a daily basis in order to function normally?

Methinks she is all talk and no jiggy jiggy.

You know what they say about people who constantly talk about sex:  they are either bad at it or not getting any.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Gigglepuff said:

They're really popular in Europe too, it seems like they're gaining popularity in N. America as well especially since there's all kinds of options now, lol. Some of them have built in dryers, but even if it doesn't, you still don't use as much toilet paper. 

My cousin's house in the Dominican Republic had one in each of their two bathrooms. I never saw anyone use it and I never did. 

Just now, libgirl2 said:

My cousin's house in the Dominican Republic had one in each of their two bathrooms. I never saw anyone use it and I never did. 

It takes some time to get used to them. They're uh, (how do I say this politely) gentler than using toilet paper....countries that use them tend to have less issues below, especially combined with lower toilets, lol. My house had one when I bought it, but it's a hand held, not a separate fixture. Of course, this is TLC, so they're going to show some totally awkward scene with one. 

• Love 2

Wow! Was I surprised Sumit is married?  No.  I knew something was up first time we met him.  What I'm still confused about is Jenny visiting previously and staying with Family Sumit.  Unless this marriage happened after that visit.  Is it legal to have more than one wife in India? What a self centered coward he is,  allowing Jenny to sell everything and move to India. JMO, but I think having the daughter & daughter in law show up & question him forced him into finally telling ther truth.   Jenny became more aggressive in her questioning after they left.  He probably thought he'd be able to get away with it.   

Jihoon  & Deavin... he's making $4,000 a month delivering?  What's he delivering?  I really do not feel sorry for her.  She made a conscious decision to have sex with a guy the moment he landed (first episode he said they went right from the airport to the pay by the hour motel), take no precautions for pregnancy and diseases with a guy she knew nothing about,  giving up everything (?, we still do not know what 'everything' entailed) to move to Korea,  knowing this guy was unemployed and immature.   I still ask why he is expected to support the cost child.  Was that the world's largest crab in that tank at the fish market?  Sorry,  I'm not a sushi person,  I give her tons of respect for eating that wiggly leg. 

Yeah!  Karini finally had the baby!  And it's Poll's because he has white skin! 

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, vmcd88 said:

Shower works like in a boat. Once you get used to it, you can keep the water in a small area. The beauty of it is you can keep the floors clean just by showering. I lived on a boat, and combined my bathroom cleaning with my shower. Saved time, everything was clean, 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

Paul had me. He was being supportive and attentive and then he pulled out that line and back down he went. Who says that after their baby is born??? He's such a tool.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

As someone in a same-sex marriage it's amazing to watch from the outside at the way gender stereotypes are so ingrained in heterosexual relationships.

Like, conceptually so many straight people just can't wrap their head around how a household of two men can even function. Yes, we both pay bills, we both pick up our immaculate house, we both do laundry, we both cook, we grocery shop together, just the concept of two men dividing household labor equally without falling into chaos is just mind blowing to people.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

Wow! Was I surprised Sumit is married?  No.  I knew something was up there that time we met him.  What I'm still confused about is Jenny visiting previously and staying with Family Sumit.  Unless this marriage happened after that visit.  Is it legal to have more than one wife in India? What a self centered coward he is,  allowing Jenny to sell everything and move to India. JMO, but I think having the daughter & daughter in law show up & question him forced him into finally telling ther truth.   Jenny became more aggressive in her questioning after they left.  He probably thought he'd be able to get away with it.   

Jihoon  & Deavin... he's making $4,000 a month delivering?  What's he delivering?  I really do not feel sorry for her.  She made a conscious decision to have sex with a guy the moment he landed (first episode he said they went right from the airport to the pay by the hour motel), take no precautions for pregnancy and diseases with a guy she knew nothing about,  giving up everything (?, we still do not know what 'everything' entailed) to move to Korea,  knowing this guy was unemployed and immature.   I still ask why he is expected to support the cost child.  Was that the world's largest crab in that tank at the fish market?  Sorry,  I'm not a sushi person,  I give her tons of respect for eating that wiggly leg. 

Because he's the father?  And he, as stupidly as she, fucked someone they didn't know and created his son?  And now they are in his country, presumably because he can't come to the US? 

I'm hoping you meant the sole supporter of the child, not that he you don't understand why he is expected to provide support.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Gobi said:

I got the impression that Hinoon was buying "lost" (stolen) phones and then cracking the passwords so the phones can be resold.

I just assumed he was a fence but didn't know enough English to verbalize that he was a fence. I also assumed that he borrowed money from gangsters to pay the $15K fine because 100% interest rate? AND I also assume he's now a getaway driver because $4K/month as a delivery driver seems like a lot of money for a delivery driver.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

I just assumed he was a fence but didn't know enough English to verbalize that he was a fence. I also assumed that he borrowed money from gangsters to pay the $15K fine because 100% interest rate? AND I also assume he's now a getaway driver because $4K/month as a delivery driver seems like a lot of money for a delivery driver.

Is he talking about US dollars or Korean won? I wish when the 90DF contestants discussed money, they specified which currency they are referring to. 

I also do not understand Deaven's mindset that Jihoon alone is supposed to support the child and Deaven. What year is it, 1955? Both parents are responsible for supporting the child and contributing to the support of the family. So if Deaven had stable employment in the US, she shouldn't be jumping on a plane to Korea with a plan or some financial reserves. Jihoon always looks like a deer in the headlights. Did she honestly think he was going to be able to support them and move to a new place? Maybe she should have stayed in the states, worked her ass off and saved a hefty amount to get them started in Korea. Just a thought. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Is he talking about US dollars or Korean won? I wish when the 90DF contestants discussed money, they specified which currency they are referring to.

I was curious about that too, even though he specifically said dollars. So I looked up the conversion rate, and if he's making 4000 won, that's like less than US$4. I can't imagine he's making that little as much as I can't imagine he's making US$4K! :)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

I was curious about that too, even though he specifically said dollars. So I looked up the conversion rate, and if he's making 4000 won, that's like less than US$4. I can't imagine he's making that little as much as I can't imagine he's making US$4K! :)

He's Korean Pole.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I also do not understand Deaven's mindset that Jihoon alone is supposed to support the child and Deaven. What year is it, 1955? Both parents are responsible for supporting the child and contributing to the support of the family. So if Deaven had stable employment in the US, she shouldn't be jumping on a plane to Korea with a plan or some financial reserves. Jihoon always looks like a deer in the headlights. Did she honestly think he was going to be able to support them and move to a new place? Maybe she should have stayed in the states, worked her ass off and saved a hefty amount to get them started in Korea. Just a thought. 

Perhaps his criminal background will prevent him from being able to move to the US and this is why she is there?  And she can't work there for a while?

Yes, most modern couples don't expect one member to be the sole supporter; that said, if you are prevented from working in another country and have 2 children now, wouldn't you have the mindset that your partner who CAN work is able to support you?  I mean, when Thai Annie came over and married the penguin,  I don't recall people thinking Annie was horrible for wanting someone who could provide for her and wanting more than she got from him.

I also suspect that she has realized over the past 9 months that the person she mated with isn't the person she hoped he would be.  As someone pointed out, she chose the least ambitious Asian.  Maybe she just expected he would be the stereotype.

• Love 7

Does Deaven understand how sex works? She hasn't even taken responsibility for the child she already has so she has another child with someone similarly unequipped to raise a child.

My god, get your own house in order before telling the man you let get you pregnant how he is doing things wrong. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
34 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

I'm wondering if Hinoon is calculating the dollar to won conversion incorrectly, maybe by a factor of ten, so that it should be a $1.5K debt and a $400/month job?

6 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

Yes, most modern couples don't expect one member to be the sole supporter; that said, if you are prevented from working in another country and have 2 children now, wouldn't you have the mindset that your partner who CAN work is able to support you?  I mean, when Thai Annie came over and married the penguin,  I don't recall people thinking Annie was horrible for wanting someone who could provide for her and wanting more than she got from him.

Well, it sucks, but they clearly can't live in the same country and raise a child together, they should have considered that before producing it.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Jenny is not only gullible or naive - she is incredibly stupid. It's not as if she didn't have people pointing out the obvious flaws of her decision to leave everything behind and move to India. Jenny wouldn't listen to anyone, she is absolutely terrible at making life decisions. 

There's a lot of Sumit hate - and he deserves it. But Jenny is also an adult who is responsible for her own life and decisions she makes. She just bugs the bejeesus out of me...... 

Right? It's not like there were not plenty of alarm bells about moving to India to shack up with the man who catfished her.

Not to victim blame, but she was the one who leaned in upon discovering her boyfriend is a fraud.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, hookedontv said:

I agree whole heartedly that Sumit is an *sshole, a jerk, liar, cheater, catfish, etc.

This may not be popular opinion but... Jenny is not only gullible or naive - she is incredibly stupid. It's not as if she didn't have people pointing out the obvious flaws of her decision to leave everything behind and move to India. Jenny wouldn't listen to anyone, she is absolutely terrible at making life decisions. 

There's a lot of Sumit hate - and he deserves it. But Jenny is also an adult who is responsible for her own life and decisions she makes. She just bugs the bejeesus out of me...... 

Do anyone of these idiots ever think about doing a background check on their beloveds? I mean, a few days on Mr. Google and Soshul Medeeah could easily uncover lots of info on people, especially ones who troll dating websites. Not to mention that a background check would uncover a criminal record, something that is a non-starter for those looking to bring their fiance to the US.

I think there is a lot of intentional ignorance going on with them. They want so badly for their love story to be real that they don't want pesky facts getting in the way. 

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Aladin seems like a mature, decent guy (so far) I'm not sure what he sees in Laura. Laura needs to shut up about the purple vibrator already. I don't need to imagine her pleasuring herself until her triple chins start shaking jiggyling. 

FIFY

• LOL 5
  • Love 1