Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Fool's Gold

• Start Topic

Jihoon reveals a huge secret about his past to Deavan. Jenny and Sumit's relationship reaches a boiling point. Paul and Karine become parents. Tensions build when Laura's son arrives in Tunisia and meets Aladin.

Airs 9/9/19.

• Love 2

You guys guessed the secret. I still feel bad for Jenny. She's dumb as a sack of rocks. Sumit was catfishing her from the beginning. I certainly hope she didn't give up EVERYTHING. I feel like she can just go home. It's only been a couple of months.

The fact that Jihoon can't even admit that his "lost" phones were stolen phones is a bad sign. I've probably only found a couple of phones in my life. You don't just find phone after phone in the street. Why would your instinct be to sell it? That's stealing. He's really really immature, I think there's no redeeming him.

• Love 24
35 minutes ago, shouldbedancing said:

The fact that Jihoon can't even admit that his "lost" phones were stolen phones is a bad sign. I've probably only found a couple of phones in my life. You don't just find phone after phone in the street. Why would your instinct be to sell it? That's stealing. He's really really immature, I think there's no redeeming him.

I got the impression that Hinoon was buying "lost" (stolen) phones and then cracking the passwords so the phones can be resold.

• Useful 7
  • Love 11

I'm having trouble understanding Aladin's long game. Assuming it's a green card, but there are moments where it actually looks like a legit relationship on his end. Their whole storyline is screwing with me because it LOOKS like it should be a regular American woman/Middle Eastern man (a la the others in the franchise) and yet...it could be real. 

I need a drink. 

2 minutes ago, iwasish said:

So far Aladin is coming across as the best of the lot. I’m sure something will come out to prove me wrong, but so far —— 

I get Liam is shy and tired but that was rude. Aladin was clearly insulted.

If Liam does have some social type condition, Laura should tell Aladin so that he can make allowances and explain to his family.

IMO though, Liam has just had his fill of his mother’s relationship drama. It seems he’s had to watch her get involved with and break up with a lot of losers over the years. As far as he’s concerned, this will end the same as the others. Personally, I would have stayed home, maybe called in on video. 

It appears to me that Liam is just showing off for the camera. I can buy that he's sick of his mom's drama, I would be as well, but some of his actions and reactions just seem overly exaggerated. I'm sure the emotions behind them are real enough, though. 

• Love 15
58 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

That was really sad tha Jihoon could not admit the lost phones were stolen.  And if I remember correctly, when we first met him there were A LOT of phones he had in his shop.

So, did Sumit's parents, after Jenny's first visit, tell him after she left:  "Look, here is your bride.  You two are not in love, she is Indian and she is younger than you.  Marry her tomorrow or you are not our son."  Perhaps?

Skipper lying about purple vibrator....again!  Good Lord leave that thing alone.  Liam, you can't go inside for a few minutes to meet his family?  That was rude.  It wasn't like they all wanted you to go out clubbing  - just pop inside, say hello and explain you are very tired from a long flight.  

I do not like Liam, he is a weirdo

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Even if production know Sumit is married, I don't believe it's in their place to inform Jenny. I have a feeling they married him off after her last visit.

I thought Liam rude.  Aladin was trying to make him feel welcome.  He clearly doesn't want to be there.  Perhaps he should have stayed home.

He would have stayed home if his mom would not shut up about trying to get Liam coming to her wedding so he came to her wedding so she can shut up

• Love 9

Liam, you could have called your mom from your nice hotel and told her that you would love to meet her and Aladin for breakfast the next day. You were kinda rude - yes, it can be explained as jet lag or a 22 hour flight or something. All you wanted was to get a good night's sleep, a snack, and a hot shower.

Except for a green card, I don't get Aladin's game. Maybe his sights are on living in Canada?

Deaven, a life lesson awaits for you in terms of hooking up with someone you don't know, getting knocked up, expecting the stranger to 'marry' you, move to South Korea, expect him to have tons of cash in the bank. Running away from something. So now Jihoon stole a bunch of phones and re-sold them? How does he stumble upon all these so-called lost phones? Does he hang around the subway system? Pick people's pockets? Deaven, you are also responsible for supporting yourself. You seriously cannot expect a dude you barely know to become your husband and take care of himself, you, and two kids. I liked the bidet explanation. That was funny. Not too keen on the 'shower'. Are they in Seoul? Somewhere more small townish?

Really had no interest in Karine giving birth. That could have been a minute of footage. Pole actually did act mature, for once in his life.

Did Jenny know at all about Sumit being married? Was she playing along? She had no real suspicions? She didn't check him out at all before packing up and moving to India? And without a Plan B or Plan C? She is not a wealthy woman who can easily bounce back. She sold almost everything she owned to go to start a life with him.

Karma will bite Sumit's butt if he intentionally strung her along and led this weird double life. Was his wife in on it? Does he love his wife? Was it a marriage of obligation so no one gets killed? Ticking off his parents because they forced him to marry a woman he did not love? How could he afford the place he shared with Jenny? Of course he didn't want anyone who knows him to see him there - they would know that he was married. Why did his friends lie for him? Is he the catfisher of them all or some unhappy scumbag?

• Love 19

I have so many questions about Sumit's marriage, I hope they answer at least some next week.  Like...are we talking married but separated?  Does he just need to finalize a divorce?  Are his parents mad because they don't want a divorce, or is that ALSO a huge lie where he leading some sort of double life with Jenny as his mistress and seeing his wife when he claims it's his parents.  If he has no plans of leaving his wife, he's the worst person this series has seen so far...and that's saying something.  Why someone would put that much trust in someone who lied to them from the very beginning is beyond me.

Jihoon...I doubt he stole the phones himself.  He was probably the middle man, buying the in bulk from somewhere or someone.  He may be too young and dumb to even realize what he was doing was illegal....or maybe not even putting two and two together that the phones were probably stolen.  I've definitely known people like that, and people who got themselves wrapped up in sketchy and sometimes illegal get rich quick without a lot of effort schemes.  

Deaven seems to be living in some sort of fantasy world, where moving to South Korea and being in an exotic foreign land would be the solution to all her problems.  

Edited by moonbunnychan
spelling error
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18

Oh and Laura....is she like a sex addict or something geez.  Sometimes "jiggy jiggy" (blech) takes a backseat to other stuff.  You don't HAVE to make love or use your purple friend on a daily uninterruptible basis, especially when other stuff is going on.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Why is Pole wearing gloves?

He really is just an irritant.

Shut up, women have babies without pain meds.

Karine absolutely deserves her TLC money...she is exposed totally....how about covering her up and letting her have some dignity.....

Aladin sees a Laura that is not visible to any of us...I can believe he does love her...

Laura loves that she has sex with a young man who isn’t repulsed by her old lady bits.

Liam likes being on teevee and should get his ass kicked by Laura for being rude to her in laws.

Liam is the ugly American...and it is embarrassing..

Paul hates germs so that is why he is wearing gloves

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Tiffany/Ronald- Tiffany you are the one who is “Pregnant” Ronald is not. Last time I checked guys cannot be pregnant. Stop with the  “we’re pregnant” BS

I don’t think she will ever trust him. She strikes me as the type that will make him quit every job, but then use it as ammo with every argument. Like seriously she can’t even “trust” him to take a trip to the store alone?... but she’ll be okay with him being out of the house for 8+ hours? I don’t think so... he’s a fucked up person,but I think she loves controlling him. 

Paul/Karine- All of those happy hormones that come with giving birth are still flowing thru, in 2 months she’ll be back to looking like she wants Paul erased from existence like the rest of us.

Lauren/Aladin- all she cares about is Jiggy Jiggy. It’s just gross at this point. Her motherly vibes towards Liam seem fake and forced. 

Deaven/Jihoon-

Other than the fact that he is a loser man child, she’s no saint either,is she forgetting about the other child she ditched back in the states? Hopefully it doesn’t make the daughter question later on in life why she wasn’t good enough to go along....

If jihoon is actually telling the truth about his $30,000 debt now being down to only $5,000, well then that’s the most impressive thing he’s said all season.

Jenny/Sunmit- Surprise, surprise he has a wife. We all knew that. 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

That was really sad tha Jihoon could not admit the lost phones were stolen.  And if I remember correctly, when we first met him there were A LOT of phones he had in his shop.

I would think, after his police interaction, he probably went legit and we saw used phones that weren't stolen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

He and his family are 21st century people . very clean anal. That’s pretty redeeming, IMO.

I love how he said “ So you don’t have to waste money on toilet paper” as he wiped down the water drenched toilet seat with toilet paper... makes sense. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Barbara Please said:

The daughter knew.  Jenny was probably always screwing up, and the daughter was the parent. 

The daughter said she didn't want her Mom to get hurt AGAIN.  I wonder what that meant for ol' Jenny?  Men I assume, but others besides the daughter's father?  Has Jenny previously been an easy mark?

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Somebody please... I’m not sure why a bidet hasn’t really caught on in the states (maybe because we aren’t as 21st century as we believe).  Jihoon says it saves toilet paper.  Is this true?  You’d have to use toilet paper, or you’d stand up with wet butt.  AMIRIGHT?

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 14

My sympathies are all with Mrs. Sumit.  What a piece of scum he has turned out to be.  We all knew Jenny was gullible and emotionally immature.  I really wish that Christina and Jen were there to confront him!!

• Love 22

Finally the birth.  Karine has been pregnant for 4 years now, or so it seems.  That was one big baby, I bet she ripped.  Pole and his gloves   

Liam needs to take a seat or three.  Ugly American indeed.  

I kinda like Deaven and clueless 30 year old Jihoon.  I know someone who had their phone pickpocketed in Korea last year, bet Jihoon sold it 😶

Laura looks pretty with her hair straightened. 

• Love 6

Liam has had to put up with a sex starved mother that had a revolving door as a bedroom door, dragging in jiggie partner after jiggie partner.

He was sick of seeing stranger dudes in tighty whiteys across the breakfast table, his mother's latest conquest asking him to pass the Count Chocula cereal box...

Liam's underbite smile and blank stare non responses give him the appearance of being  mentally slow...Liam thinks he is being intimidating to Aladin...major fail....

Liam's growing resentment and bitterness is gonna be a disruption to the wedding festivities but will be the spicy drama for this basic cable teevee show...

The hat and airline blanket ensemble is stupidly funny....

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, mamadrama said:

They could've refused to film with Jenny and Some Meat. I'm real life friends with 2 couples who have appeared on the show. (Both the OG 90DF). When the cameras are not rolling, crew and cast hang out socially. Family members on both sides are met. They become FB friends and discuss non-show related stuff both during filming and off season. Cast has been invited to hang out at production members' houses without the cameras rolling. The line between professional and cast member becomes blurry. 

In an actual documentary, a piece in which the filmographers are meant to be inactive observationists, there's a certain amount of ethics involved. But this is not an educational series. If they knew and didn't tell her then it's not because they didn't want to get involved-it's because they knew they had a humdinger of a plot twist to surprise us with and this probably made them salivate. 

Great insight @mamadrama.  I just think that the OG cast were more real than these people.  Ever since S2 it's been train wrecks because well - they sell for TLC and these yoodles get their 15 mins of fame.  

I just wonder how long after their break did Summit marry Mrs. Summit?  I cannot believe at some point neither of them discussed that during the break what happened.  

TLC has really made me a skeptic.  I think that she knew.

As for Liam - I am positive he has to be on the spectrum.  My son acts alot the same way when he doesn't want to be in a situation or is forced into a situation.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

If jihoon is actually telling the truth about his $30,000 debt now being down to only $5,000, well then that’s the most impressive thing he’s said all season.

He did? I totally missed that. When did he say that? 

Seems like he could have skipped trolling the dating websites and expensive trips to the U.S. and worked a few extra hours to pay off his debt.

• Love 4
Just now, Azubah said:

Yeah, I saw the part where he said he had $30K worth of debt; I didn't see where he said he'd knocked it down to $5K.

He did say he knocked it down to $5K.

Jennnifffer met Tiny Tim on an international dating website, and now she's upset that he dated someone else from a website before her? What's up with that? So he lived with her for two years, you were married and have a kid. Get over it.

• Love 20
5 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Somebody please... I’m not sure why a bidet hasn’t really caught on in the states (maybe because we aren’t as 21st century as we believe).  Jihoon says it saves toilet paper.  Is this true?  You’d have to use toilet paper, or you’d stand up with wet butt.  AMIRIGHT?

Not to be off topic but my hunch is a bidet reminded people, after WW2, of brothels in France and were thought of as unseemly.

Back on topic:  gotta give credit to Deavan for trying the octopus and having the right attitude of fitting in and respecting her elders.  Still, she will be on a plane to Utah by noon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
5 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Mine has a fan you can blow yourself dry if you want. I just use toilet paper but the way the water goes you don’t get soaked. It is one of the best things I bought for my washroom reno but you need a plug so I installed one right beside the toilet when I had the walls down. The whole washroom conversation with Deaven was hilarious.

It kind of pisses me off the Deaven acts like now that she has a baby with a man who stayed that he is 100% responsible to pay all the bills. Why didn’t she save up for Korea expenses? Sure she probably cannot work there right now but she did have about 9 months to save. It just seems so sexist to me.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Great insight @mamadrama.  I just think that the OG cast were more real than these people.  Ever since S2 it's been train wrecks because well - they sell for TLC and these yoodles get their 15 mins of fame.  

I just wonder how long after their break did Summit marry Mrs. Summit?  I cannot believe at some point neither of them discussed that during the break what happened.  

TLC has really made me a skeptic.  I think that she knew.

As for Liam - I am positive he has to be on the spectrum.  My son acts alot the same way when he doesn't want to be in a situation or is forced into a situation.   

Mine is too and he reminds me of my son. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, moonbunnychan said:

Oh and Laura....is she like a sex addict or something geez.  Sometimes "jiggy jiggy" (blech) takes a backseat to other stuff.  You don't HAVE to make love or use your purple friend on a daily uninterruptible basis, especially when other stuff is going on.

I hate to get gross, but Laura could be in perimenopause.  For some women, the hormones go off the charts during that time.  It's like Mother Nature knocking on your door and saying "Dearie, you know it's getting late.  If you're going to have [a / another] baby, ou'd better get moving!"  I was ridiculous during that time in a way I'd never been before.  It lasted through much of my 40s and by the time I hit menopause, it was like a switch being turned off.  I suspect that Laura is in that nature-knocking phase, in which case Aladin may be in for an unpleasant surprise when she hits that "lights out" time.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6