Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I called WSM and WLS as soon as I saw the call letter category.

I did not get FJ.  I was trying to picture which counties in England had coastline, and couldn't remember.

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Jeopardy! airs on a Baltimore station at 7 pm, and a DC station at 7:30 pm. I record them both in case one of them gets bumped, but that has not happened.

I only get the Baltimore channels.  Today I missed the first several clues due to Fox45 airing commercials instead of going straight into Jeopardy, but at least they cut away from the press conference this time.

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Thanks to the Simpsons I will never forget Mondale :

Homer remembering the 1984 presidential debate "Where's the beef!!  No wonder he won Minnesota!"

Also when they go to Australia they are rescued and taken back to the USS Walter Mondale.  A laundry Ship. 

Mondale was the first presidential candidate for whom I voted, the year after I turned 18.  You'd think I would've remembered that tonight, but you'd be wrong.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I mostly listened tonight, but did write down several TS that I got, including The Show, Grand Ole Opry, Sears, San Francisco, extradition, and Georgia.  I shouldn't have been, but I was a little surprised they couldn't get San Francisco with a photo of the Coit Tower.  The Sears miss surprised me, too.

I wasn't surprised by the Sears miss, but I've never heard of the Coit tower yet I still recognized the photo as being SF.  I was a little surprised by no one guessing the Grand Ole Opry, having been given Tennessee, but I guess none of them know much about country music?

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When none of them got "The Show", I figured they hadn't seen the movie Bull Durham. We watched it again recently on TCM. I love it, and had forgotten how good it was.

That must've come before the first commercial break, when Fox45 was airing commercials.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Grand Ole Opry was easy since I've been to the Opry when it was the real Opry, at the Ryman. It was a great show, and I do love me some Goo Goo Clusters.

When the radio call letters came up, I was sure either WLS or WGN would be one. Or both. I used to listen to WLS non-stop, before it went all crazy-ass far right-wing controversial. Now WGN is my station. So I knew The World's Largest Store is Sears. And The World's Greatest Newspaper is the Chicago Tribune, if anyone asks. Side note: The Sears Tower, sold and renamed Willis Tower, has been sold again. So far no one knows if the name will be changed again, since almost everyone still calls the Willis the Sears, including me.

I knew those two from watching Ken Burns' Country Music on PBS.  And I knew WGBH from watching PBS.  (I also love me some Goo Goo Clusters - the Tractor Supply near me sells them.  Yum.)

• Love 3

As a kid on a farm in north central Kansas, mid-60’s, we could get KOMA, Oklahoma City, and WLS, Chicago, at night.  They both played pop music/rock and roll, and I’d dream about life in a city.  Later when I lived in Illinois (late 70’s), I’d listen to WLS with Larry Lujack, Little Tommy, and Animal Stories. They were also the first ones to play Elmo & Patsy singing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, before it was commercially released.

But I digress.  Topic? Surprised the champ was in the red for final.  I knew FJ straight away.  DD lived there for a time, now lives in England but in Dorset.  Lived in Surrey when she first moved over, but it’s near Hampshire.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, lb60 said:

My initial thought for FJ was Jersey. Then, I re-read and realized my comprehension skills suck. I eventually made it to the right state.

New Jersey doesn't seem like a bad guess.

In addition to FJ, I got Edward Albee, San Francisco, and extradition. Recently we did a jigsaw puzzle of San Francisco. However, I would have gotten the Coit Tower clue without the puzzle.

I'm sorry Kyle went out so fast. Darn it all.

I have a pet peeve. I hate when the contestants get the subject-verb agreement wrong. There were more than one example in this game alone, but the one that stood out to me was "What are All the President's Men." 😠

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I’d listen to WLS with Larry Lujack, Little Tommy, and Animal Stories. They were also the first ones to play Elmo & Patsy singing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, before it was commercially released.

Wow, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. Use the voice: "Little Tom-meee ..."

My local NBC affiliate must have gotten smoked last week when it dropped Jeopardy in the middle of the episode to broadcast that (fill in the blank) press conference. Today it ran a scroll at the bottom of Jeopardy saying the press conference was being carried live on its channel 6.3. Which mean Little House fans were pitching a fit. Heh.

• Love 4
(edited)

Dear Jeopardy! clue writers,

"Similar" and "same" do not mean the same thing..  For example, "Dove" and "Dove" are not similar words, they are identical.  Same problem with Delta, Pandora, and Whopper.

Edited by Brookside
Major brain malfunction
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I have a pet peeve. I hate when the contestants get the subject-verb agreement wrong.

Wasn't there a contestant a long time ago that just made up anything that sounded like a question for his answers?

I'm sure the contestants are more worried about it being in the form of a question than about correct grammar, and I've seen some trying to correct themselves to get it right when they should be just getting on to the next one.

• Love 1
(edited)

J.R. was doing so well in the baseball category, I was pretty surprised when he didn't know "The Show".  (And, yeah, apparently the other two had never seen Bull Durham, because that term is used throughout the film.)

Extradition was a surprising TS, as was San Francisco.  Mine and Grand Ole Opry a bit, too.

J.R. was annoying me with how he'd answer the Add a Letter clues in the wrong order -- the clue would define word A, to which you add a letter to get word B, and he'd consistently answer with Word B and Word A instead of the other way around.  (Ha - @theatremouse and I were complaining about this at the same time.)

I ran the first round, but in DJ, despite all my time spent playing Monopoly as a kid, I didn't know the other purple property, and I also didn't know Malificent (no, I don't actually live under a rock).  But those were the only two I missed (and I got FJ), so I redeemed myself after last night's poor performance.

Edited by Bastet
12 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Our governor in Illinois has a daily press conference at 2:30 or 3, it has run over the hour or half hour time limit a few times to take out the first few categories on Jeopardy (which airs at 3:30 here) and once the local station cut away to cover a press conference by the police commissioner of Chicago. When this happens I just go to the Archive to read what I've missed.

So thankful for the archive.😍

As it did today. Again. 
Is it wrong to be irritated by this because I am in the Chicagoland area but don't actually live in Illinois so his press conferences don't apply to me?

• Love 1

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When none of them got "The Show", I figured they hadn't seen the movie Bull Durham. We watched it again recently on TCM. I love it, and had forgotten how good it was.

I said "The Big Show" which I just realized while reading the forum was because I was conflating "Big League" and "The Show.

9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

As a kid on a farm in north central Kansas, mid-60’s, we could get KOMA, Oklahoma City, and WLS, Chicago, at night.  They both played pop music/rock and roll, and I’d dream about life in a city.  Later when I lived in Illinois (late 70’s), I’d listen to WLS with Larry Lujack, Little Tommy, and Animal Stories. They were also the first ones to play Elmo & Patsy singing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, before it was commercially released..

KOMA made me laugh, because I was reading it as a word, rather than an acronym, and thought, well it probably played music that would put you to sleep.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. Use the voice: "Little Tom-meee ..."

My local NBC affiliate must have gotten smoked last week when it dropped Jeopardy in the middle of the episode to broadcast that (fill in the blank) press conference. Today it ran a scroll at the bottom of Jeopardy saying the press conference was being carried live on its channel 6.3. Which mean Little House fans were pitching a fit. Heh.

Better Little House than Jeopardy!

9 hours ago, Brookside said:

"Similar" and "same" do not mean the same thing..  For example, "Dove" and "Dove" are not similar words, they are identical.  Same problem with Delta, Pandora, and Whopper.

I know! Ran the category, though. Which is unusual for me.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

New Jersey doesn't seem like a bad guess.

Except Jersey isn't a "county in England." It is actually not part of England at all, the island is a British Crown Dependency.

10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It still annoys me when the clue calls for two answers and the contestant responds with them in the opposite order of how the question was framed. It's wrong.

I noticed the switched order but didn't mind it in this context. Contestants have so much to process in so little time: the clue, the buzzer, answering in the form of a question. I don't mind that they cut them a little slack on this.

As a Trini, I'm always happy when we get mentioned on the show. I wasn't expecting us to pop up in the closest neighbours category though.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It still annoys me when the clue calls for two answers and the contestant responds with them in the opposite order of how the question was framed. It's wrong.

It's not wrong unless the question specifically asks for it in order.  They usually don't.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, raeb23 said:

Except Jersey isn't a "county in England." It is actually not part of England at all, the island is a British Crown Dependency.

Well, yeah, if you're going to get all knowledgeable on us. 

• LOL 6
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew those two from watching Ken Burns' Country Music on PBS.  And I knew WGBH from watching PBS.

Me too, for both of those!  I'm loving the Country Music documentary.  (I DVR'd it and am just now watching it).

And I'm pulling for the new champ - I'm a legal secretary and I swear I don't remember there being many, if any, legal secretary contestants.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Brookside said:

Wasn't that Whopper the hamburger and Whoppers the malted milk chocolate balls?

1 hour ago, raeb23 said:

I've been to Jersey, one of the English Channel islands!  It's quite beautiful; we had lovely weather and a great time.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

It's not wrong unless the question specifically asks for it in order.  They usually don't.

But I think if the clue is framed in an certain order, that implies the answer should be in the same order. Fake example, because I can't remember any of the real clues, but if the category were "famous parents and their children" and the clue were "A country singer and a former Major League Baseball pitcher", if you answer "Tug and Tim McGraw", you're suggesting Tug is the singer and Tim is the baseball player, and that's not the case. When they don't care about the order, they're basically saying "as long as you know both things, we don't care if you know which is which."

16 hours ago, lb60 said:

My initial thought for FJ was Jersey. Then, I re-read and realized my comprehension skills suck. I eventually made it to the right state.

I went with the 18-mile-long coast to come up with New Hampshire first and decided "Hampshire" must be a county.  I'm not sure I would have known NH at all if I hadn't driven through it last summer. Considering Maine used to be part of Massachusetts, that little bit of NH separating them at the coastline is baffling. That must've been part of MA, too, at one time. I'm curious as to how that played out - that ME became its own state and that wee bit became attached to the greater part of NH.  <shrug> Something to ponder/look up during enforced isolation.

I've also planned to scan the old photos during this time - a long-procrastinated job due to time constraints. Hahaha.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

When they don't care about the order, they're basically saying "as long as you know both things, we don't care if you know which is which."

Of course if one knows both things, it's a given that the person knows which is which.

Long story short: I don't care in which/what order answers are given unless the clue asks the answer(s) be in a certain order. I also don't line up all the cans in my cupboard so they are facing a certain way.

And yes, the Whopper/Whoppers was in the Add A Letter category. If I remember correctly. (I'm not looking up the proper category name.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, opus said:

Nope. It was in Similar Brand Names.

>>>Singular it's a Burger King staple; plural it's a brand of malted milk balls<<<

LOL. Thanks for the correction. That will teach me to not fact check myself. It would have been a good clue in the category "Two of Saber's Favorite Edibles."

• LOL 3
14 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

But Whopper and Whoppers are similar, not identical or the same.

They're the same words (including Domino vs Domino's here) with either a plural or possessive, which in my book don't count as "similar." And a couple of the answers were exactly the same words. Not a bad category, just a bad title.

• Love 4
On 3/31/2020 at 10:06 AM, ClareWalks said:

Almost every single day, Jeopardy is preempted in my area to show news conference updates about coronavirus from all over my state. Is this happening to anyone else? I've noticed there aren't many posts here anymore. Sometimes I get to watch the episode, or at least Final Jeopardy because the news conferences end about 5 minutes before the episode ends.

I've just about decided I'm not seeing another episode this season.  Fox17 in Nashville is interrupting every damn day because every damn day they have a Coronavirus task force presser in DC.  I know people want to see those, but there are not only a dozen other channels showing the same thing, Channel 17 IMMEDIATELY turns to their local news at 5:30 sharp.  I just sent them a message on their facebook page and I'm calling in the morning.  If they are replaying J sometime in the middle of the night, they aren't advertising the fact. I'm doubly irritated because with Alex's illness I worry he may decide that this is his last season and I'm missing the last few weeks.  

I checked President Eisenhower's page on Daily Motion, his episode posts there helped me through when my antenna dropped the station that airs Jeopardy here. But posts stopped mid January. Maybe someone knows where episodes can be viewed online to help those who are having their shows preempted? The show is being such a snot about letting episodes be on YouTube. I used to be able to catch missed episodes there, but that ended some time ago.

The NYC station has started to run ABC World News Tonight at 7:30pm in the Wheel of Fortune slot (not sure if it’s a rerun of the 6:30pm showing or not), but so far the 7pm Jeopardy continues on.

• Love 2

I was so certain Alberta was right!  I confidently wrote that, then struggled to come up with Saskatchewan.  Oooops!  I completely forgot about Manitoba.  But at least I was in the right part of the country.  

It made me a little sad that none of them knew the Orca was the small boat in Jaws ("We're gonna need a bigger boat.")  I got Korea on a guess after Japan was ruled incorrect.  I also correctly guessed tennis, but I knew Bordeaux!

• Love 3

I got FJ right. Geography and I got it right.  Very odd.

I got the TS of Jaws, Australia, thou, Treasure Island, tennis and Teutonic.  I got the entire categories of pronouns and crossword J right.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The show is being such a snot about letting episodes be on YouTube.

I missed one recent episode and found it on YouTube.  They may get removed, but it's worth checking.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also don't line up all the cans in my cupboard so they are facing a certain way.

horror omg GIF

lol

I got the Saskatchewan part of FJ right. I said Alberta for the other one. Since geography and I are not friends, I was also happy that I was at least in the vicinity. Small victories!

I did get Jaws, Australia, thou, and Underwear Bomber.

• LOL 1
29 minutes ago, lb60 said:
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also don't line up all the cans in my cupboard so they are facing a certain way.

horror omg GIF

lol

When I wrote that, I was totally thinking of the movie Sleeping With The Enemy. Well done catching the /sarcasm/ my friend.

The Underwear Bomber ... because of the Shoe Bomber we all have to take off our shoes before boarding a plane. Why do we get to keep our exploding underwear on?

I don't like to snark at players for answers, but I have to admit when I looked up FJ on TJF this morning, I let out a loud snort at the "Newfoundland and Labrador" answer. It cracked me up for so many reasons.

I also was surprised FJ was an asterisk, but it figures because, since I live in Bizarro World, I easily got the answer. I didn't know Canada had a Four Corners, but I understand it's miles from any road or trail, in the middle of some deep woods. Not exactly a photo op.

The Rainbow Bridge answer in Gifts for Animal Lovers made me start crying so I missed the rest of the episode.

• Love 3

Bordeaux, tennis, Swarovski, and thou were surprising TS.

I was terrible in the Dream Boats category, but got the rest in the first round.  I was also terrible in the Crusades category, and missed a couple of others in DJ, so only a so-so game for me.  At least I knew FJ.

• Love 1

J! is on at 4 PM where I live.  Today I got to see almost the whole show, but then they cut away for press conference before Final Jeopardy.  And the press conference didn't start then - it was our local anchors preparing us for it.  Frustrating.

One day last week they cut away in the middle of FJ.  (I know it sounds callous to complain about this during a national crisis, but still...)

• Love 1

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED -- that I got FJ right. I have to admit it was a guess. But! an asterisk is an asterisk.

I also got Jaws, Australia, thou, Heart of Darkness, tennis, and Swarovski.

After I guessed The Shoe Bomber, I then figured the answer was the Underwear Bomber.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Roaster said:

(I know it sounds callous to complain about this during a national crisis, but still...)

Not callous - I think we're all looking for some relief of the reporting on this devastating pandemic. I saw an ad on one of my PBS stations saying - for your mental health - stay informed but take a break from the news.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

But I think if the clue is framed in an certain order, that implies the answer should be in the same order. Fake example, because I can't remember any of the real clues, but if the category were "famous parents and their children" and the clue were "A country singer and a former Major League Baseball pitcher", if you answer "Tug and Tim McGraw", you're suggesting Tug is the singer and Tim is the baseball player, and that's not the case. When they don't care about the order, they're basically saying "as long as you know both things, we don't care if you know which is which."

Eh, if it doesn't actually say it has to be in order in the clue, I don't care.  But hey, we all have our own pet peeves about Jeopardy.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Rainbow Bridge answer in Gifts for Animal Lovers made me start crying so I missed the rest of the episode.

I choked up at that too. I don't think I would have buzzed in if I were on the show 'cause it was hard enough just saying it out loud in my living room.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was so certain Alberta was right!  I confidently wrote that, then struggled to come up with Saskatchewan.  Oooops!  I completely forgot about Manitoba.  But at least I was in the right part of the country.  

I got Manitoba, but unfortunately I'd used it to replace the Saskatchewan in my original answer instead of putting it in place of Alberta.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

got the TS of Jaws, Australia, thou, Treasure Island, tennis and Teutonic. 

I should've gotten Teutonic but didn't, but I did get the others.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

was terrible in the Dream Boats category, but got the rest in the first round.  I was also terrible in the Crusades category

I got everything except Heart of Darkness in Dream Boats, and everything except Teutonic in the Crusades.  Since my major was Medieval & Renaissance Studies, it was a little embarrassing to miss that second one.

3 hours ago, lb60 said:

Underwear Bomber.

I got that one, too.

• Love 2

For FJ, I was sure of Saskatchewan. Waffled between Alberta and Manitoba for a moment. Then remembered that Churchill, Manitoba (the place the polar bears visit) is on Hudson Bay, so Manitoba is farther east and fits better geographically.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But do you alphabetize your spices?  My SIL does. My pantry has slide-out drawers, so I write with a Sharpie on the bottom of the can what it is and then store the cans upside down, so when I pull out the drawer, I don't have to pick up every damn can to find the garbanzos vs. black beans.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Thalia said:

I've just about decided I'm not seeing another episode this season.  Fox17 in Nashville is interrupting every damn day because every damn day they have a Coronavirus task force presser in DC.  I know people want to see those, but there are not only a dozen other channels showing the same thing, Channel 17 IMMEDIATELY turns to their local news at 5:30 sharp.  I just sent them a message on their facebook page and I'm calling in the morning.  If they are replaying J sometime in the middle of the night, they aren't advertising the fact. I'm doubly irritated because with Alex's illness I worry he may decide that this is his last season and I'm missing the last few weeks.  

Please post here if you find out anything.  I'm really missing it and would love to know it's being aired another time.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Thalia said:

I've just about decided I'm not seeing another episode this season. 

Speaking of which, do we know how many shows are in the can? Will there be a complete season?

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I checked President Eisenhower's page on Daily Motion, his episode posts there helped me through when my antenna dropped the station that airs Jeopardy here.

Do you have a WayBack machine? Who'da though Ike was a Jeopardy fan? 😉

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It made me a little sad that none of them knew the Orca was the small boat in Jaws ("We're gonna need a bigger boat.")  I got Korea on a guess after Japan was ruled incorrect.  I also correctly guessed tennis, but I knew Bordeaux!

I thought Korea, said Japan, and then said "That's what I meant!"

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Bordeaux, tennis, Swarovski, and thou were surprising TS.

Could not get Swarovski out of my mouth, I kept saying the first three letters.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But do you alphabetize your spices?  My SIL does. My pantry has slide-out drawers, so I write with a Sharpie on the bottom of the can what it is and then store the cans upside down, so when I pull out the drawer, I don't have to pick up every damn can to find the garbanzos vs. black beans.

Just curious, why the bottoms of the cans? Couldn't you just write on the tops and store them right side up? Love the idea, though. Unfortunately, I only have shelves in the pantry, which just get jumbled.

I arrange my spices in order of most used.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Speaking of which, do we know how many shows are in the can? Will there be a complete season?

I arrange my spices in order of most used.

On the In the Media thread, someone posted there are enough shows to air originals through May 29.

My spices are loosely grouped into savory, spicy, and sweet.  They're on a 2-tier lazy susan, so they do get jumbled.

• Love 2

I don't have any particular filing system, but all the labels on the cans have to be facing out! How do I know what I have otherwise? 

Manitoba actually came to me first, then Saskatchewan, which I wasn't absolutely certain about.  But, like others who came up with it, I'll take the *!

This is the new champ's blog - https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/. I saw him pop up in that J! special that aired a couple of months ago and have been wondering if he made the cut. 

• Love 2

I thought Hemant should have lost because his FJ answer was so bad.  Not only are Newfoundland and Labrador not prairie provinces, it is one province, not two.  I know, it's whoever ends up with the most money but sometimes I think they should go by FJ, penalize for a dumb answer and put someone ahead for getting a really hard FJ.  JMO, of course😊

Only three ts's for me, Korea, underwear, and Jaws.

I liked Kami; she was doing well and then I was sorry to see she just sort of faded away.

• Love 1