Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because of the commercial that ran for years (or at least what seemed like years).  I don't know if Aleve is still a sponsor of the show, as I haven't taken particular notice in a while, and I tend to think not, but its "What is Aleve?" commercial made to look like a FJ segment aired during the commercial break between DJ and FJ for quite some time.  Alex Jacob made the same joke for his I have no idea FJ response several years ago, so this was repetitive (and not as timely).

Ah, thank you! The champ probably should’ve stolen one of the “What is...” GEICO commercial answers to be timely. At least I would’ve gotten the joke!

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because of the commercial that ran for years (or at least what seemed like years).  I don't know if Aleve is still a sponsor of the show, as I haven't taken particular notice in a while, and I tend to think not, but its "What is Aleve?" commercial made to look like a FJ segment aired during the commercial break between DJ and FJ for quite some time.  Alex Jacob made the same joke for his I have no idea FJ response several years ago, so this was repetitive (and not as timely).

I didn't catch that reference. I just thought he was saying that because he needed some Aleve after having such a stressful run, and that intense double jeopardy. LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 11:00 AM, Driad said:

If you'd like to catch up on Wagner's Ring Cycle, Anna Russell did it in 28 minutes instead of 20 hours.

Thank you for this!

Just spent three hours down the rabbit hole, having a great time and laughing out loud listening to Anna Russell. 

• Love 2
On 2/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I had a similar reaction a few days ago when the woman from West Virginia didn't know what time zone Charleston WV is in.  I have to wonder if sometimes those are buzzer issues.

Long, long ago, before he joined Jeopardy, Alex Trebek was the quiz master of a Canadian high school quiz show called Reach For The Top. After three years of trying I finally made my high school team, unfortunately on a day there was a replacement host. 

We had a bad buzzer issue for our team and they actually had to stop the taping to try to fix it but it didn't really help.

So yeah, if someone fails to buzz in on an obvious question that they really should have got, it could be a buzzer issue.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I have a hard time believing Jeopardy! doesn't have back-up plans for buzzer malfunctions. Maybe someone who has been on the show can address it. I think the FCC would take a very dim view of making the game not equally fair for all.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Long, long ago, before he joined Jeopardy, Alex Trebek was the quiz master of a Canadian high school quiz show called Reach For The Top. After three years of trying I finally made my high school team, unfortunately on a day there was a replacement host. 

We had a bad buzzer issue for our team and they actually had to stop the taping to try to fix it but it didn't really help.

So yeah, if someone fails to buzz in on an obvious question that they really should have got, it could be a buzzer issue.

I could believe that if someone else buzzed in before.  But, if I'm on the show, know an answer and am trying to buzz in and nobody else is buzzing, I would be like "My buzzer's broken, can I answer?"

• Love 4
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a hard time believing Jeopardy! doesn't have back-up plans for buzzer malfunctions. Maybe someone who has been on the show can address it. I think the FCC would take a very dim view of making the game not equally fair for all.

I don't remember any specific back-up plan for buzzer malfunctions during the game.  I do remember that right before the game started, and during every commercial break, they had each of us ring in, one at a time, so they could make sure each signalling device was working.

I'm not sure what they would do if someone's buzzer stopped working in the middle of a game.  Probably what you would do if you thought your buzzer wasn't working, as they ask you to do with almost everything, is tell the contestant coordinators at the next commercial break.  I don't know what they would do if it turned out a buzzer actually had broken.  They might have to replay the game, but I don't know how feasible that would be.  Maybe you would be invited back at a later time, as occasionally happens.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't remember any specific back-up plan for buzzer malfunctions during the game.  I do remember that right before the game started, and during every commercial break, they had each of us ring in, one at a time, so they could make sure each signalling device was working.

I'm not sure what they would do if someone's buzzer stopped working in the middle of a game.  Probably what you would do if you thought your buzzer wasn't working, as they ask you to do with almost everything, is tell the contestant coordinators at the next commercial break.  I don't know what they would do if it turned out a buzzer actually had broken.  They might have to replay the game, but I don't know how feasible that would be.  Maybe you would be invited back at a later time, as occasionally happens.

Yeah, it would seem to me that the next commercial break would be a little late to do anything about it if you realized your buzzer wasn't working of the second or third clue of DJ.  

On 2/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, WhoisMark said:

With "Millionaire" gone I have transferred that time gained to archiving the J! episode each morning. Being in the West makes the timing reasonable. I saw the need after two weeks into the season showed little progress with the archiving. You are very welcome and I appreciate your words. Yes, I read here although my regular hangout is jboard.tv. 

On 2/14/2020 at 4:01 PM, MrAtoz said:

I remember, when I was in high school (lo, those many years ago), it always seemed to be the case that our American history classes never quite reached the present day.  This would have been in the early 1980s.  We would start with colonial times at the beginning of the year, and by the end of the year we had gotten to about the beginnings of the Vietnam War.  So most of what happened during the late 60s and 70s, I never really learned about in school.  I had to pick it up on my own later if I was interested in it.  I've spoken to several people around my age, and they all tell the same story.

I wonder if that's still the case, that history classes just run out of time to get to more recent stuff.  If so, then that's probably the reason that young adults seem to have such trouble with clues about the late 20th century.  It's too long ago for them to have lived through it personally, but too recent for them to have learned about it in school.

However, I don't fault anybody for not knowing Love Story.  Trust me, if I could purge that insipid thing from my brain, I would do so in a heartbeat! 😀

Adding my thanks to your efforts at j-archive, WhoIsMark!

I also remember never getting to present day events in History. But I learned about  these things anyway, through reading, movies, tv shows... Being interested and digging down when I heard about something that caught my interest. I think that’s what I don’t accept from this crop of contestants. The ignorance seems more pronounced now than previously (tv - ha!).

Also, thank you, Sabre, for correcting my memory of the Mississippi question! So Missouri wasn’t as terrible guess, but still...  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, OneWouldHope said:

I also remember never getting to present day events in History. But I learned about  these things anyway, through reading, movies, tv shows... Being interested and digging down when I heard about something that caught my interest. I think that’s what I don’t accept from this crop of contestants. The ignorance seems more pronounced now than previously (tv - ha!).

I'm not sure we ever got past WWII (in the early 70's).

I went to German school for a year, and because they have TONS more history than we do, the way I recall it, they covered a different era with each year of school. I don't know if it ended up being present day or not - I was only in the 8th grade, and we were only up to the Age of Chivalry by the end of that year. I might be misremembering, and we may have gotten a bit further, all I really recall is that I brought a Prince Valiant Sunday comic to school and the teacher was very excited about it.

The Sunday Prince Valiant Comics looked like this. Yes, I'm old.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 2/17/2020 at 6:51 AM, Katy M said:

I could believe that if someone else buzzed in before.  But, if I'm on the show, know an answer and am trying to buzz in and nobody else is buzzing, I would be like "My buzzer's broken, can I answer?"

And I'd be all jumping up and down and waving that buzzer over my head a la Statue of Liberty, and clicking it like crazy to get anyone's attention. You guys would love me.

I don't (consciously) remember one single thing I learned in high school. That you folks do is ... stunning.

@Clanstarling, I do remember the Prince Valiant Sunday cartoon strip. If someone had a bob haircut with bangs, we called it a Prince Valiant. Later, if the bob cut was shorter, that got changed to a Moe.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 5

Then I thought "Who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone?/I'm gonna be a pirate on the River Saskatchewan!"

The Last Saskatchewan Pirate by the fantastic Canadian group, The Arrogant Worms. Arrr.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if all of them had lost today.  Well, I guess Middle Guy wasn't so bad -- I only remember him giving one boneheaded answer.

That said, Waitress never entered my mind -- either as a movie or a musical.  So no FJ for me!  

Ugh to a whole category about Survivor and double ugh to Probst.

Seems like there were a lot of TS this game.  I got Andrew Wyeth, Voting Rights Act, Borscht Belt, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Maui, census, and smiley face.

• Love 8

I didn't have a great game tonight.

I had no clue on FJ.  Never heard of it.

I got the TSs of Andrew Wyeth (thought I was wrong, though), Maui, Census act and smiley face.

I got the entire category of bearded men right.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, halfpint ingals said:

I was surprised Bill and Ted was a TS. 

Me too, but then I thought maybe they weren’t sure WHICH Bill and Ted movie it was from.

I gotta say, I did laugh at Terry's sinking bit at the intros.

I didn't know Elizabeth Hasselbeck was on Survivor.

I got Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures, Maui -- the clue said 4 letters, but each contestant guessed a place that didn't have just 4 letters -- census, and happy face, which I assume would have been accepted for smiley face.

I got Waitress. I saw the movie way back when (with Keri Russell), and somehow I've been aware that it transitioned to Broadway, though I don't really keep up with theatre.

• Love 1

I goofy-guessed Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.  I, too, said Happy Face. There's a convenience store/gas station near me that uses one as its logo - "Happy Stores" - used to have the cheapest gas until Quik Trip moved into town.

I was surprised at how well I did on the rivers. But I certainly had a great run of wrong guesses! There weren't too many I was confident on that turned out to be wrong, though. I either flat-out it was a stupid guess or turned out to be right.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:55 AM, peeayebee said:

Why do people love it? I haven't even seen the movie.

Fifty plus years after it was published, the themes of the novel are still relevant and relatable. Class conflict, family dysfunction, love, finding your place in the world, friendship, feeling like an outsider, education, violence, etc. There's something for everyone. It's actually a book kids look forward to reading. I haven't seen the movie in years, but the cast alone (many in their first big roles) is worth the watch.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't (consciously) remember one single thing I learned in highs school. That you folks do is ... stunning.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I have such vivid memories of all my school years. Right down to nursery school, where we had a horse that I loved and a classmate that I couldn't stand. So much so that I would grab hold of the drawers in our kitchen when the little van would come to pick me up. My four year old brain didn't quite process that the drawer was going to come with me as my mother was trying to pull me out of the house. Good times! I loved that horse, but I really couldn't stand that little booger eater that sat next to me. 

Anyway.....lol

I kind of liked Terry, but I'm not sure I would want to fly on one of his planes.

MacKenzie is going to have to stand still or I'm going to lose my dinner tomorrow.

I got Borsht Belt, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and census. FJ was an instaget.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3

Many of us don't remember the Borscht Belt, but have (for example) seen reruns of the Dick Van Dyke Show that mention it.

I wish Alex would stop saying "before your time."  That's why Jeopardy never has questions on Shakespeare, right?

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ugh to a whole category about Survivor and double ugh to Probst.

Amen. It's managed to stay under my radar for all these years (I can't believe it's been on the air for 20 of them!)

Also, I think they could really tighten up the clues in these kinds of categories. Too much yada yada yada - and so many clues left on the board.

9 hours ago, Driad said:

I wish Alex would stop saying "before your time."  That's why Jeopardy never has questions on Shakespeare, right?

I was playing Trivial Pursuit once with a younger woman (just out of school) who used the "it was before my time" excuse when she got something wrong (it was within the last 30 years). I told her that the WWI question I answered correctly was well before my time (as were  most of the questions), so that was no excuse. (we were laughing and joking, but the core truth was still there)

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

That was one of those one-the-tip-of-my-tongue ones. Before my time, but I definitely know of it.

Me too.  I remembered the Belt part but Borscht wouldn't come to me - I knew it was some kind of soup🙂

I did get inciter, Maui, census, and smiley face.  No clue for FJ.  I have vaguely heard of Waitress but have no real knowledge of it.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I gotta say, I did laugh at Terry's sinking bit at the intros.

As did I. That was a first, and me thought it was funny.

13 hours ago, lb60 said:

I kind of liked Terry, but I'm not sure I would want to fly on one of his planes.

Does that have anything to do with his FJ bet being 420?

I didn't know Elizabeth Hasselbeck was on Survivor.

Her episode must have been Before Your Time. I watched from the beginning (Richard Hatch rocked, even though he was naked most of the time) but thankfully, I can no longer get CBS stations. The show is no longer fun what with all the fighting. The first couple of seasons were good entertainment though.

I thought AT's comparing himself to Jeff Probst was pretty funny though.

• Love 2

I got Andrew Wyeth, Maui, census and smiley face. The other TSs, like Borscht Belt, I was "Oh yeah, I knew that," after AT said them. So, half a hearty handshake for me.

FJ was a no brainer, I answered instantly. I watch SNL and I know all about Tina Fey's Mean Girls going from movie to Broadway. So proud of myself for getting that FJ right and starting my week out on top.

Not.

I saw the movie Waitress (Keri Russell!) when it first came out and knew it went to Broadway, but would not have come up with that answer in a billzillion years. *sigh*

Side note: Waitress was up for a Tony award, but was beaten by ... wait for it ... Hamilton.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, saber5055 said:

Watching Jeopardy in the Chicagoland area where it is on in the afternoon, I cannot tell you how many times it's been preempted for 'special reports' or weather alerts or something so finding the archive is a life saver for me, Thanks.

Borscht Belt was one of those things I knew but couldn't bring to the front of my brain, though I knew it started with a B. Same with Bill and Ted, I could see the crowded phone booth but the words wouldn't come

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:01 PM, MrAtoz said:

I remember, when I was in high school (lo, those many years ago), it always seemed to be the case that our American history classes never quite reached the present day.  This would have been in the early 1980s.  We would start with colonial times at the beginning of the year, and by the end of the year we had gotten to about the beginnings of the Vietnam War.  So most of what happened during the late 60s and 70s, I never really learned about in school.  I had to pick it up on my own later if I was interested in it.  I've spoken to several people around my age, and they all tell the same story.

I wonder if that's still the case, that history classes just run out of time to get to more recent stuff.  If so, then that's probably the reason that young adults seem to have such trouble with clues about the late 20th century.  It's too long ago for them to have lived through it personally, but too recent for them to have learned about it in school.

However, I don't fault anybody for not knowing Love Story.  Trust me, if I could purge that insipid thing from my brain, I would do so in a heartbeat! 😀

Mine too, from 1979-1983, we never even got to the Vietnam War, and barely mentioned the Korean one.

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

Too many TS tonight, too!  I wrote down V.C. Andrews, Untouchables, skunk, sponge, Normandy, hawk, hyrax, trebuchet, silver, blitz, and Westminster.

I didn't know the hyrax, but all the rest were easy.  I have a friend who built a trebuchet (pronounced "trebuchey" not "trebuchette", Alex) for the Punkin Chunkin one year; it was really cool to watch it in action.

FJ was an instaget for me.  I used to look forward to seeing the winner of the Bulwer-Lytton fiction contest for the opening line of the worst possible novel.  Sometimes the results are worse than "It was a dark and stormy night", sometimes not.

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 8:29 PM, saber5055 said:

I was yelling "Westerville" for the Ville clue, even though I knew Westerville is no historic city. *cough Steubenville cough*

I was familiar with von Steuben, so I got that, but wasn't Steubenville the location of an infamous criminal case a few years ago?  Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 8:29 PM, saber5055 said:

I shouted out the TS of Supernatural after reading the first word, "Crowley." Love that show.

I've never watched the show, but EW covers it extensively so it was an instaget for me.

I think 4 day hikes are stupid, but then, there are days I wouldn't get off the couch if I didn't have to eat.  And pee.  A lot.

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 9:05 PM, secnarf said:

I thought Alex mispronounced trebuchet, which was especially odd as it's unlike him to pass up an opportunity to use his French accent.

Having had to build a trebuchet in high school physics, I am intimately familiar with them 😛

Several surprising TS though - I can't remember them all, but Blitz was one.

He did.

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:38 PM, Bastet said:

The only film in the Quotable Movies category I've seen is The 40-Year-Old Virgin, but I didn't remember that quote.  I knew the ones from The Hunger Games and Black Swan via cultural osmosis, though.

Cultural osmosis is how I knew about the "Kelly Clarkson!" yelling.  I refuse to ever watch that movie for intensely personal reasons.  I did not, however, know the line from The Dark Knight.

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:49 PM, peeayebee said:

Instead of blitz, I said blitzkrieg. Credit?

Nope, the blitzkrieg was something different.  It's generally used to refer to the German army's swift crushing of Poland, the Low Countries and France during WWII.  Or what secnarf said on Saturday.

Well, thanks to stupid Nascar, channel 45 didn't run Jeopardy when they were supposed to, and my satellite guide didn't show any replacement time (because it was supposed to run at the regular time), so I missed yesterday's game completely.  Based on my perusal of j-archive, I would've done pretty well.  I didn't know Saskatchewan, El Camino, Elizabeth Hasselbeck and the Indus, and couldn't drag Fox In Socks, Modigliani and Degas out of my brain, but I got everything else.

The Voting Rights Act was a TS - really?  That's sad.

And while Birth of a Nation's story is loathsome, as a groundbreaking work of cinema, it should still be on the AFI list.  Maybe with a big asterisk for its narrative.

(My anger at missing Jeopardy for Nascar did not include any ill wishes to the drivers themselves.  I really hope Ryan Newman recovers quickly.)

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The only film in the Quotable Movies category I've seen is The 40-Year-Old Virgin, but I didn't remember that quote.

Steve Carell shouted "KELLY CLARKSON" during his chest-waxing scene, when the tape was ripped off. That scene is shown a lot, but I've never seen Kelly Clarkson's reaction to it IRL. That clip/interview must be somewhere.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 10:58 AM, Katy M said:

Yeah, it would seem to me that the next commercial break would be a little late to do anything about it if you realized your buzzer wasn't working of the second or third clue of DJ.  

It think that sort of thing would merit inviting a contestant back.

On ‎02‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 12:34 PM, Clanstarling said:

I might be misremembering, and we may have gotten a bit further, all I really recall is that I brought a Prince Valiant Sunday comic to school and the teacher was very excited about it.

I loved Prince Valiant.  I had a weird cartoon crush on Arn.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got Andrew Wyeth, Voting Rights Act, Borscht Belt, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Maui, census, and smiley face.

Andrew Wyeth shows up frequently on Jeopardy, so I'm a little surprised no one guessed "Wyeth".  Although I'd have been pissed if they'd accepted that without a BMS, since Andrew's father and son were/are well-known artists as well.

7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The only film in the Quotable Movies category I've seen is The 40-Year-Old Virgin, but I didn't remember that quote.

Steve Carell shouted "KELLY CLARKSON" during his chest-waxing scene, when the tape was ripped off. That scene is shown a lot, but I've never seen Kelly Clarkson's reaction to it. That must be somewhere.

The original comment was from Bastet.  I'm the one who'd never seen the movie but have seen clips of that scene.  But, like you, I wonder that Kelly Clarkson thought of it.  She probably thought it was funny - she seems like a pretty chill person.

• Love 1

the clue said 4 letters, but each contestant guessed a place that didn't have just 4 letters

Actually, I believe 2 of the other guesses were Oahu & Kona (it's only the former champ who guessed a more than 4 letter place (Kauai, I think)).

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was familiar with von Steuben, so I got that, but wasn't Steubenville the location of an infamous criminal case a few years ago?

Yes, about eight years ago when some high school football players raped a girl at a party, a bunch of classmates thought it was hilarious to text each other photos and jokes and post on social media, and school officials tried to cover it up (gotta protect those football players, ya know), but there was so much evidence they ... got short sentences in juvenile detention, and the townsfolk felt sorry for them.  (So, typical story.)  If anyone is interested, there's a documentary on Netflix about it, Roll Red Roll.

7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes, about eight years ago when some high school football players raped a girl at a party, a bunch of classmates thought it was hilarious to text each other photos and jokes and post on social media, and school officials tried to cover it up (gotta protect those football players, ya know), but there was so much evidence they ... got short sentences in juvenile detention, and the townsfolk felt sorry for them.  (So, typical story.)  If anyone is interested, there's a documentary on Netflix about it, Roll Red Roll.

That is indeed the case I was thinking of.

57 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Although I'd have been pissed if they'd accepted that without a BMS, since Andrew's father and son were/are well-known artists as well.

No BMS needed IMO. Since father N.C. Wyeth died in 1945, any paintings he created of his son Andrew's neighbor Helga from 1971-1985 would be worth zillions.

Side note: N.C. Wyeth was primarily an illustrator, his painting were used in the books Last of the Mohicans and Treasure Island among others, plus numerous advertisements and magazine covers. That was back in the day when illustrators (my college major) had regular jobs. N.C.'s son Andrew, who was born on Thoreau's 100th birthday, was a regional realist painter. He died in 2009. He created more than 240 drawings and paintings of Helga in secret. They created quite a stir in the art world when discovered.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

No BMS needed IMO. Since father N.C. Wyeth died in 1945, any paintings he created of his son Andrew's neighbor Helga from 1971-1985 would be worth zillions.

Ghost artists are all the rage.  You have to be careful, though, because sometimes their ghostiness transfers on to the artwork and you end up with murderous subjects killing you in your sleep.

• LOL 5
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Side note: N.C. Wyeth was primarily an illustrator, his painting were used in the books Last of the Mohicans and Treasure Island among others, plus numerous advertisements and magazine covers. That was back in the day when illustrators (my college major) had regular jobs. N.C.'s son Andrew, who was born on Thoreau's 100th birthday, was a regional realist painter. He died in 2009. He created more than 240 drawings and paintings of Helga in secret. They created quite a stir in the art world when discovered.

Sorry, but a BMS absolutely would be needed, imo, because there should always be a BMS when there are two people with the same last name in the same profession.  It needs to happen when there are two Adams/Roosevelts/Harrisons/Johnsons/Bushes who were president as well.  The fact that one would fit the clue and the other wouldn't is WHY there needs to be a BMS every time.  Jeopardy is extremely lax about it, and it annoys the crap out of me.

Oh, I live maybe an hour away from Chadd's Ford, PA, and the Brandywine Valley, so I know about the Wyeths.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

Terry was an aircraft maintainer(?) from Akron. I had wondered if he worked on Akron's iconic Goodyear Blimps!

Six freakin' clues left on the DJ board! 😡😡😡

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

As did I. That was a first, and me thought it was funny

I wondered if Terry was doing a "Maxwell Smart in the phone booth."

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Sorry, but a BMS absolutely would be needed, imo, because there should always be a BMS when there are two people with the same last name in the same profession.  It needs to happen when there are two Adams/Roosevelts/Harrisons/Johnsons who were president as well.

Exactly - knowing which [Last Name] president, artist, author, etc. did what when is part of the game.  They're not going to just accept "Roosevelt" for FDR because Teddy was dead by the time FDR took office; you have to establish you know which Roosevelt.  So if someone had just said "Wyeth", there should have been a BMS prompt, but they're a bit inconsistent on that, so who knows what would have happened.

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Exactly - knowing which [Last Name] president, artist, author, etc. did what when is part of the game.  They're not going to just accept "Roosevelt" for FDR because Teddy was dead by the time FDR took office; you have to establish you know which Roosevelt.  So if someone had just said "Wyeth", there should have been a BMS prompt, but they're a bit inconsistent on that, so who knows what would have happened.

Well, they would, and have, but they shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, they would, and have, but they shouldn't.

Really?  Someone has gotten away with just saying "Roosevelt"?  That's bad.  I thought that would be the one example I could count on them to consistently require specificity on (unless the clue specifically negated the need, like the category was Franklins).

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Really?  Someone has gotten away with just saying "Roosevelt"?  That's bad.  I thought that would be the one example I could count on them to consistently require specificity on (unless the clue specifically negated the need, like the category was Franklins).

Yep, Alex Jacob did, I believe, during his original run.  It was around the same time as the infamous BMS for Kit Carson.  The Jeopardy round of show 7051, airing 4/20/2015.  In the category of First President, his answer of "Adams" was accepted for "to live in the White House" and his answer of "Roosevelt" was accepted for "to appear on television".  Clearly only one Roosevelt was possible, so Teddy would've been a wrong answer.  But there was no BMS for either one.

Wow.  The combination of a BMS for Carson but no BMS for Adams or Roosevelt must have short-circuited my brain and erased the memory of the latter.

I just realized I forgot to comment on last night's episode.

Not as many TS, but it still seemed like at least the high end of average and there were some some surprising ones (census and Voting Rights Acts in particular) and some doozy wrong answers; the show has been in a bit of a slump lately.

I've never seen Survivor, but most of those clues gave other information to come up with the answer - except the catch phrase for eliminations, which I was hoping was in my brain via cultural osmosis, but it was not.  I also didn't know Me Before You in the book category or the name of the Breaking Bad movie, and I knew Roentgen but couldn't spit it out.  So, with only four misses - probably helped by how many clues were never revealed - I was having a strong game heading into FJ, a category I felt pretty good about, but it wound up being about a film/play I'd never heard of.  Boo, hiss.

Edited by Bastet

I still suck at geography, so I also said Chad.

I got the TSs of Eddie Van Halen, Rio de Janeiro, Tudor, blessing in disguise, nomination convention and Jane Curtin.  

I got the entire categories of Rock star, 3 word cities and religious idioms.  

Pretty good night aside from final.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Six freakin' clues left on the DJ board! 😡😡😡

I think we can blame the Survivor category for that. It must have been mandatory/sponsored.

I was sad no one knew Jane Curtin.

• Love 5