Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

FIVE MINUTES!!! You couldn't wait FIVE LOUSY MINUTES to break in with caucus stuff?!!!! The news was going to be starting right after J!, but, noooo, you couldn't wait until AFTER FJ??????

• Love 3

I got FJ.  I said New South Wales, that's Australia.  Ornitho, that's a bird. Kookaburra?  No, wait, the categories is mammal.  What's a birdlike mammal?  Platypus!  I love it when I don't actually know it and I have to figure it out.

I got the following TSs: vintner, A, muscles, liver, Ralph Kramden (my dad's favorite show, I can't stand it), Hawaiian, Dodge City, Plymouth, Bleak House (my Dickens-loving heart broke that this was a TS), Lake, and Prokofiev (which was a guess that I stunned myself with, and I think that might have been the only one I got right in that category).

I got the entire categories of 1 letter and Where it hurts right.  

• Love 1

If you've seen the  Pinky and the Brain episode "Win Big", the Brain is on Jeopardy! and the answer he misses is Ralph Kramden despite Pinky mentioning him all day. 

As for FJ, when I saw World Mammals, I first thought it was "Weird" mammals so instantly thought of the platypus and when I saw Australia and paradoxus, I figured that was it. 

Ran the "Where does it hurt?" category. Got "Bleak House", Hawaiian, Plymouth (I'm from Massachusetts so that helped) and Prokofiev. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Hooray for Travis!  So glad he won again.  FJ was an instaget for me -- I read or saw something about platypuses (platypi?) recently and it mentioned their scientific name.  But like @Katy M above, I could have figured it out the same way.  Ornitho=bird, rhynchus=nose, and paradoxus because it is paradoxical.  

Also, it's "Deathly Hallows" not "Deathly Hollows"  or did I miss some reason why they called it hollows?

I got lots of the many many TS tonight, including vintner, muscles, liver, Ralph Kramden, Dodge City, James, Hawaiian, Lake District, Prokofiev, Clint Eastwood, and Olivetti.

• Love 3

I had to read the archive due to the State of the Union Address, and, boy, is it a good thing I don't bet on this game, because liver, (Model) A, Dodge, Ralph Kramden, vintner, Lake (District), Hawaiian, and Bleak House TS were all clues I'd have confidently predicted someone would get.  (Hawaiian as a TS floored me, and Model A was also quite surprising, with Model T ruled out.)

Lots of TS tonight, and all the DDs were missed, too.  Yikes.  I'm glad Travis hung on to win a bad game, and I look forward to seeing him again tomorrow night.  (Hopefully; sometimes my station airs the preempted episode later the same night and is back on track the next day, but sometimes we're a day behind the rest of the week and catch up using the Saturday slot that's usually occupied by a re-run.)

• Love 1

(wishes a more specific answer had been given and accepted for a certain installment of this program broadcast near me this on the Tuesday of the fourth day of this February for this clue: "In the 1930s this Russian composed 'Peter & the Wolf' & scored the movie 'Alexander Nevsky' " (I had believed a certain composer of music with the same surname as the one for which the clue was about was related to the same one))

IMO: The contestants have been piss poor the last few weeks. The only thing they do well is mug at the camera during the intros. Are they casting for "personality" instead of knowledge now?

• Love 6

No one knowing Bleak House made me really sad.  If you haven't read it or watched the BBC miniseries, it's really worth doing both. 

I got FJ!  I figured from the paradoxus that it was an animal that seemed "wrong". 

• Love 6

Instaget FJ.

I wondered how the fellow on the end got "kangaroo" from Ornithorhyncus paradoxus. At least the other contestant guessed a bird.

I'm glad Travis won again.

I did well with ts's: vintner, A, Ralph Kramden, Dodge City, Hawaiian, Lake, and Olivetti.  The letters of Prokofiev were dancing through my head but would not arrange themselves in the right order.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Trey said:

I wondered how the fellow on the end got "kangaroo" from Ornithorhyncus paradoxus. At least the other contestant guessed a bird.

I think he just guessed an Australian animal. May not have known any latin.  And the other contestant guessed a bird when the category was mammal, so not much better.

• Love 5

I have Ken Burns to thank for knowing that race records was the original term for recordings of what is now R&B.  The same label which started issuing "hillbilly" records (country music), Okeh Records, also issued race records.  Neither term was considered an insult by the record companies at the time, but I imagine at least some of the artists disagreed.  I know Hank Williams objected to his music being called hillbilly music.

I got FJ by coming up with "bird nose paradox" and obviously that is the duck-billed platypus.  (One of my many nicknames for my one cat is Vladypus Platypus.)

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the following TSs: vintner, A, muscles, liver, Ralph Kramden (my dad's favorite show, I can't stand it), Hawaiian, Dodge City, Plymouth, Bleak House (my Dickens-loving heart broke that this was a TS), Lake, and Prokofiev (which was a guess that I stunned myself with, and I think that might have been the only one I got right in that category).

I didn't get vintner although I should have, muscles or Prokofiev, another one I should've known, but did get the rest.  Although I will confess to saying Model T first, then changing it.

14 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I was yelling "Bleak House" at the screen so loudly I woke the cat.  I love the opening of that novel! And the rest isn't bad, either.

I've never read the novel, but there was a wonderful miniseries version on PBS a few years ago starring Gillian Anderson.

2 hours ago, Mario500 said:

(wishes a more specific answer had been given and accepted for a certain installment of this program broadcast near me this on the Tuesday of the fourth day of this February for this clue: "In the 1930s this Russian composed 'Peter & the Wolf' & scored the movie 'Alexander Nevsky' " (I had believed a certain composer of music with the same surname as the one for which the clue was about was related to the same one))

The same composer, Sergei Prokofiev, composed both works.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The same composer, Sergei Prokofiev, composed both works.

I'm not sure (it's a little hard to parse the comment), but I believe Mario500 may be referring to Sergei's grandson, Gabriel Prokofiev, who is also a composer.  Theoretically this might have triggered a "Be more specific"--if anyone had actually offered a response.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ornitho=bird, rhynchus=nose, and paradoxus because it is paradoxical.  

All I noticed was "paradoxus," which immediately took me to platypus.

I got vintner, liver, Ralph Kramden, Plymouth, Bleak House, and Clint Eastwood.

I misread one clue and said aloha instead of Hawaiian. Also instead of mambo I said watusi. 😄

Why didn't the answer of Korea need a BMS? Is that admiral a hero in both the South and North?

There were a few clues that I "knew"  but just couldn't bring them to my mouth.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ornitho=bird, rhynchus=nose, and paradoxus because it is paradoxical.  

All I noticed was "paradoxus," which immediately took me to platypus.

Same here. I don't know a lick of Latin but I do know critters pretty well.

I did pretty well with J TSs: Vintner, Model A (my brother had a T and A -- that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean -- back when they were considered junk and were given away just to get rid of them), Ralph Kramden and Dodge City. Did not do as well in DJ, just Clint Eastwood.

Shout out to @lb60 with the Pooh owl clue.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm not sure (it's a little hard to parse the comment), but I believe Mario500 may be referring to Sergei's grandson, Gabriel Prokofiev, who is also a composer.  Theoretically this might have triggered a "Be more specific"--if anyone had actually offered a response.

Oh, okay, I misunderstood the original post.  Yeah, it might've triggered a BMS if someone had answered, but knowing Jeopardy, probably not.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Why didn't the answer of Korea need a BMS? Is that admiral a hero in both the South and North?

Presumably it was because there was just one Korea in the 16th century when Yi Sun-Shin was admiral.  But I wondered about it at the time and had to Google to make sure.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Ran the "Where does it hurt?" category.

Me too. I guess I know how to tell the doctor where it hurts. LOL.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Also instead of mambo I said watusi. 😄

I did too. Of course, I think of "mambo" as a latin dance (well, it's in a Dean Martin song anyway - Mambo Italiano)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I also said watusi but I didn't really think it was right.

Re the Pooh clue, posters on JBoard objected to the judges accepting Hundred Acre  Woods, instead of the correct Hundred Acre Wood. I somehow missed that while watching the game, but, now that I know about it I object too.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Trey said:

Re the Pooh clue, posters on JBoard objected to the judges accepting Hundred Acre  Woods, instead of the correct Hundred Acre Wood. I somehow missed that while watching the game, but, now that I know about it I object too.

My husband did too.

• Love 4

I got FJ right, but I didn't think I was right.  Seemed too obvious.

I got the TSs of Caligula, regicide and orphanage.  I go the entire category of ides right.  But, I feel like I missed some easy ones.  I don't know directors and I sure don't know them by sight, but I said Oliver Stone after she said Oliver North, figuring she knew what she was talking about but just misspoke.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Pooh just shook his head and muttered, "Oh, bother!"

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Pooh just shook his head and muttered, "Oh, bother!"

I said hundred acre forest and did NOT give myself credit for it, but slapped my head.  I think forest was in the clue so it got stuck in my head.

Does anyone else have 600 pens, and none of them work? I missed most of the show because of this, but TSs I managed to scratch into a piece of paper were Wind (River), which is not only a river, it's a very good movie starring Jeremy Renner. There is also the Wind River Reservation, which is in a quite remote area of Wyoming.

I also got the TS of soccer, although I no longer remember the clue.

I got FJ right away, and thank goodness time was up before I could change to another Confederate officer.

I liked the story about the pet land snails, and didn't think them odd pets. It reminded me of a friend's two hermit crabs. As an homage to our horses, she named them Helen and Charles Treecrab.

That is extremely funny if you are familiar with famous Saddlebred horse trainers.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I never thought about the meaning of Vermont before tonight.  I knew they were the Green Mountains, but just didn't connect "Ver Mont" with it.  Or, more to the point, it never occurred to me to think about it.

FJ was an instaget.  I've been to Harper's Ferry, and I've lived nearly all my whole life in Virginia, where Lee is still considered a hero by many.

I also got the TS of Wind River, Blue Ridge Mountains, and orphanage.  Fridge was a funny reply.

• Love 6

I can't believe no one guessed soccer.  That no one deciphered Wind from the big hint in the clue was also surprising.

The Spittoon and fridge answers amused me as much as they did Alex.

I wish Travis and Paige had tied; I'd like to see both of them again.

The only thing I didn't know/correctly guess in the first round was what YBS stood for.  I was off to a good start in DJ, but Regicide and Haifa stumped me just as they did the contestants (the first one I just flat-out didn't know, the second I do but couldn't pull out of my brain).  I'm not much for war history, so I was sure I was wrong with my guess of Robert E. Lee for FJ, but, lo and behold, I was right.  So only three misses!  At some point before I die (or lose my marbles), I will achieve a perfect game.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've been to Harper's Ferry, and I've lived nearly all my whole life in Virginia, where Lee is still considered a hero by many.

I've visited Harper's Ferry. It's beautiful.

Fridge was a funny reply.

Fridge was the first thing that popped to mind, but I never would have said it.

The moment that video for A Christmas Story came up, I said aloud, "Fra-GEE-lay!"

I didn't get any TS's -- Wine! -- but I did get FJ, second-guessing myself because it seemed too easy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I didn't get FJ, I kept saying to myself "the other guy, not Grant". lol. But I couldn't pick his name out of my brain to save my life. This game was much better than yesterday. I'm glad to see Travis keep winning.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did too. Of course, I think of "mambo" as a latin dance (well, it's in a Dean Martin song anyway - Mambo Italiano)

NNOOoooooo.  It's a Rosemary Clooney song! And she hated it. She also hated Come On-A My House, but they were both such big hits for her, she had to continue to sing them, no matter how much she disliked them.

A picture of Burt Reynolds? Really?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I'm sorry but that FJ was way too easy.  For a second, I thought it might be Stonewall Jackson because I thought there was no way in hell Robert E Lee could be the answer since it was too obvious but since Jackson was never in charge of the army, it had to be Lee.  

• Love 3
21 hours ago, peeayebee said:

There were a few clues that I "knew"  but just couldn't bring them to my mouth.

This! as I get older I find this happening more and more, my daughter said I should take the online test I told her maybe 5-10 years ago but now my reflexes are too slow and so many times I -know- the answer but can't get them to form a word. And too many times I can picture a person but only be able to say their first name which doesn't count.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I never thought about the meaning of Vermont before tonight.  I knew they were the Green Mountains, but just didn't connect "Ver Mont" with it.

That clue/answer must have happened while I was digging through buckets of pens and setting them on fire, trying to get one to work. So thanks for posting that tidbit. I did not know that either, and like you, never gave it a thought. But now I will be ready when the writers make a future category about it. You know they will!

• Love 3

Fridge was funny but I was surprised he didn't know the answer.  He seemed like a great guy - good sense of humor.
I'm sure the woman in the middle was kicking herself for "Oliver North"!
Again with Alex asking someone to explain a clearly wrong FJ answer.  Just stop!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ErinV said:

Fridge was funny but I was surprised he didn't know the answer. 

I think this clue could have been in an "almost rhymes" category.  Orphanage and Smidge don't quite rhyme; I did get the answer but in my mind I spelled it as orphanidge 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ErinV said:

Oliver North is the first name that came to me. I immediately knew that was wrong but couldn't remember his full name.

Again with Alex asking someone to explain a clearly wrong FJ answer.  Just stop!

I agree. Last night it was uncomfortable to watch. Justin clearly didn't want to explain it.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ right, but I didn't think I was right.  Seemed too obvious.

I knew it was Lee, and still wondered for a moment if it was someone else, just because it was so obvious.

Soooo glad that Travis won again, because I could not have looked at Paige for even one more game.  I shouldn't really criticize anyone's looks because I'm no swimsuit model myself, but oy, that hair!

28 minutes ago, Trey said:

Orphanage and Smidge don't quite rhyme; I did get the answer but in my mind I spelled it as orphanidge 🙂

Yeah, you have to pronounce orphanage like it's got an 'i' where the second 'a' is.  Which I think I do.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I missed most of the show because of this, but TSs I managed to scratch into a piece of paper were Wind (River), which is not only a river, it's a very good movie starring Jeremy Renner. There is also the Wind River Reservation, which is in a quite remote area of Wyoming.

I wanted to see that movie when it came out, but missed it.  I'll have to look for it at the library.  I didn't remember it last night but I got the answer anyway because it was the only breeze related word I could think of which would not sound stupid as a river name.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I never thought about the meaning of Vermont before tonight.  I knew they were the Green Mountains, but just didn't connect "Ver Mont" with it.  Or, more to the point, it never occurred to me to think about it.

FJ was an instaget.  I've been to Harper's Ferry, and I've lived nearly all my whole life in Virginia, where Lee is still considered a hero by many.

I also got the TS of Wind River, Blue Ridge Mountains, and orphanage.  Fridge was a funny reply.

I got soccer as well.  Or as I called it "futbol".

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The only thing I didn't know/correctly guess in the first round was what YBS stood for.  I was off to a good start in DJ, but Regicide and Haifa stumped me just as they did the contestants

I didn't know that one either (I'm old, I guess) but did get regicide and guessed Haifa.

1 hour ago, ErinV said:

Fridge was funny but I was surprised he didn't know the answer.  He seemed like a great guy - good sense of humor.

I don't think he was asking the contestant to explain it.  He couldn't read what they'd written so he was asking them to say what they'd wrote.  I have no problem with that, especially since I couldn't read it either.  And if a contestant doesn't want to have to say aloud what they've written, they shouldn't write it done.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, you have to pronounce orphanage like it's got an 'i' where the second 'a' is.  Which I think I do.

And which I do not. In my world, orphanage does not even remotely rhyme with smidge. Why do writers continue to go with poor answers when so many other words better fit the category.

AT does like to berate players who write down wrong answers. It's common for him to make sarcastic comments to wrong-answer contestants, people who do not have all the answers written down for them nor get to run through all the clues before taping, like he does.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

And which I do not. In my world, orphanage does not even remotely rhyme with smidge. Why do writers continue to go with poor answers when so many other words better fit the category.

Because the song rhymes the two, and the category was Show Tune Rhymes.  I'd say enough people are familiar with the musical Annie, and with the song Hard Knock Life that it wasn't that hard a clue.  Or a poor answer at all.  Hell, I've never seen the show and have only heard part of the song, but I knew Annie was in an orphanage and figured that was the answer.

(Weird side note: I am distantly related to Andrea McArdle, who first played the role of Annie on Broadway.  Not that I've ever met her or anything.)

As for Alex asking Justin what he'd written, in this particular case he wasn't berating him or making a sarcastic remark.  He couldn't read what Justin had written.  And since I couldn't read it either, I'm glad Alex asked.  I try not to judge what contestants write for FJ, whether it's right or wrong, but I do want to know what it is.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Does anyone else have 600 pens, and none of them work?

God yes. One of my pettiest of pet peeves. Pen. Paper. You have one job. Write!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Because the song rhymes the two, and the category was Show Tune Rhymes.

Another category, clue and answer missed while digging through that bucket of pens.

Excuse me while I leave this thread. I'll shut the door behind me.

*crickets*

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Another category, clue and answer missed while digging through that bucket of pens.

Excuse me while I leave this thread. I'll shut the door behind me.

*crickets*

Awww, you don't have to do that.  I, for one, enjoy your razor-sharp wit. :-)  It's the pens who are at fault.

• Love 4

For anyone who does not yet have Tom Lehrer's "Folk Song Army" running through your head:

The tune don't have to be clever,
And it don't matter if you put a couple extra syllables into a line.
It sounds more ethnic if it ain't good English
And it don't even gotta rhyme ... excuse me: rhyne!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2