Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 4/22/2019

falltime
  • Start Topic

Poor Abby.  I know we can count on her to understand less than half of what she hears.  When she repeats it, she loses even more content.  She stated that the WHCD comedian, Michelle Wolf, criticized Sarah Huckabee Sanders' looks.  Actually, she's just repeating what so many others said--others who didn't bother to watch the show:

This is what Wolf said that night (and I watched):  "I actually really like Sarah. I think she’s very resourceful. Like she burns facts, and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smoky eye. Like maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies.”                                                                                                                                         ? WHERE IS THE CRITICISM ?

Michelle Wolf tweeted a perfect response Why are you guys making this about Sarah’s looks? I said she burns facts and uses the ash to create a *perfect* smoky eye. I complimented her eye makeup and her ingenuity of materials.

Perhaps THIS is what Abby meant…oh, such a cruel joke by Michelle:

"And of course, we have Sarah Huckabee Sanders. We are graced with Sarah’s presence tonight. I have to say I’m a little star-struck. I love you as Aunt Lydia in 'The Handmaid’s Tale.'"

Here's the actress, Ann Dowd, who plays Aunt Lydia...WITH make-up. The only difference is that Aunt Lydia has a stern facial expression, a plain hairstyle, and no make-up, ABBY!  Those were the ONLY references to Sanders' appearance.

AuntLydiaANN.thumb.jpg.6a4cf319abcfcf4ba5fd1bfc396bda5c.jpg

AuntLydia.jpg

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 15

When Sunny talked about Michelle Wolff being proven right,  in that Sarah Suckabee is a proven liar, Abby tentatively tried to say that MW was attacking Sanders' appearance.  Sunny just referred to what Sanders said as lies, lies.  Then Abby even more tentatively mention the Handmaid's Tale.  They just went right past it but it would have been funny to see Abby defend her assertion because to say that the Aunt Lydia reference is an attack on Suckabee's appearance is to say that it is an attack on the brilliant actress who plays Aunt Lydia, Ann Dowd. 

Abby is truly stupid.

Edited by bannana
  • LOL 1
  • Love 22

I shoulda enjoyed today's Meghan-free show more than I did.  It got off to a dismaying start (IMO) with the plugs for the televised NFL draft.  Yes, it's on ABC, but why is a female-oriented program celebrating a sexist, racist, anti-gay organization full of owners who pander to criminals at all levels?  Most women I know are more interested in having their sons avoid the physical, mental, & emotional injuries that too often accompany football.  NIMBY - but I'll watch YOUR kid get damaged??

Then we have Whoop's tax tirade - not only is she RICH, but she got there (in part) courtesy of the taxpayers' support via welfare, subsidized housing & even her mother's Head Start teaching job - all fruits of our taxes, & I'm happy about it, but SO over her recurrent, ungrateful bitching.

Gillibrand - hoist on her own petard.  I hated to see Al Franken go, but that's the hapless, trustworthy Dems - get ready for 4 more years at this rate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, schroeder said:

I get that Franken is Joy's friend, but this is old news. She obviously resents Gillibrand for his ouster and took it personally.

Joy is not alone. Gillibrand is on Twitter all the time asking  people to support her and give $1 to her campaign. The replies indicate that a lot of people are pissed at her over Al Franken.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
40 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

Poor Abby.  I know we can count on her to understand less than half of what she hears.  When she repeats it, she loses even more content.  She stated that the WHCD comedian, Michelle Wolf, criticized Sarah Huckabee Sanders' looks.  Actually, she's just repeating what so many others said--others who didn't bother to watch the show:

This is what Wolf said that night (and I watched):  "I actually really like Sarah. I think she’s very resourceful. Like she burns facts, and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smoky eye. Like maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies.”                                                                                                                                         ? WHERE IS THE CRITICISM ?

Michelle Wolf tweeted a perfect response Why are you guys making this about Sarah’s looks? I said she burns facts and uses the ash to create a *perfect* smoky eye. I complimented her eye makeup and her ingenuity of materials.

Perhaps THIS is what Abby meant…oh, such a cruel joke by Michelle:

"And of course, we have Sarah Huckabee Sanders. We are graced with Sarah’s presence tonight. I have to say I’m a little star-struck. I love you as Aunt Lydia in 'The Handmaid’s Tale.'"

Here's the actress, Ann Dowd, who plays Aunt Lydia...WITH make-up. The only difference is that Aunt Lydia has a stern facial expression, a plain hairstyle, and no make-up, ABBY!  Those were the ONLY references to Sanders' appearance.

AuntLydiaANN.thumb.jpg.6a4cf319abcfcf4ba5fd1bfc396bda5c.jpg

AuntLydia.jpg

@HaaCHOO, 

I think we posted at the exact same time!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I said Meghan needed a vacation agai...who knew karma would listen lol

Abby is naive, but so earnest I'd love to just hang with her and just advise her.  I do see joy, whoopi, and Sunny like her...must drive Meghan crazy lol

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, falltime said:

Joy: I dated him!    😄 

I love this about Joy.  She never misses an opportunity to make fun of herself.

2 hours ago, telemachus2 said:

I shoulda enjoyed today's Meghan-free show more than I did.  It got off to a dismaying start (IMO) with the plugs for the televised NFL draft. 

I HATE SPORTS ON TV!  I liked playing sports but no one watched it on tv.  Loved how Joy refused to put it on.

The injuries to young men/boys is real and communities are reacting.  Here is a link if anyone wants to read.  I had no idea that teams could be 8 or 11 players.

15 minutes ago, WonderWuman73 said:

I loved how long it took Whoopi to announce that Nutmeg was out today sick  instead of at the top of the show.  😝

I missed it.

• Love 9

I loved today's show.  No NutMeg, no shrieking but still an interesting show with women expressing different Views (quite a few of which I disagreed with, ahem Whoopi re taxes and Abby re the WHCD).  This is what I want to watch.  Hear that PTB?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
5 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

KG did seemed annoyed with Joy lol, I get it, but hey that's part of running for President. 

I admire Joy for saying up front she was angry about Al Franken not being in office any more, and implied that KG was at least partially responsible. If KG was not expecting that, she's naive. OTOH, it may have thrown her to have the most liberal of the co-hosts put her on the defensive.

I agree with everyone who said that she seemed overly rehearsed. When it gets right down to it, most people vote for candidates they genuinely like, rather than someone whose talking points are best. With KG, I saw a very non-emotional candidate (minus the slight coldness towards Joy), not someone I am inspired to learn more about.

• Love 23
5 hours ago, schroeder said:

I didn't think Gillibrand look annoyed, but I wouldn't blame her if she was. She and Joy already discussed Al Franken last time she was on the show. On that last appearance, I remember Gillibrand saying that even though Franken was her friend, it didn't make his behaviour okay. Joy questioned why Democrats had to act on principle while Republicans didn't, as the outcome had hurt Democrats. Basically, it was the same conversation they had today i.e. why should Democrats go high if Republicans go low and it works?

I get that Franken is Joy's friend, but this is old news. She obviously resents Gillibrand for his ouster and took it personally.

Agreed. Joy's anger about this has to be all personal and not political-- because MN has a Democrat governor, Franken was replaced by Tina Smith, a Democrat who won re-election for the rest of his term in a special election, and this was also during the Roy Moore/Doug Jones race.

Now had Smith lost re-election (her race was considerably closer than the very popular Amy Klobuchar's), I think Joy could have a stronger case for being upset with Gillibrand.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't think so. My point was that Schalafly was against the ERA, was abhorently against feminism, etc. The anti-thesis of the awesome Gloria Steinem. The former sounds is a LOT like the present TWAT that sits at the end of the table.

A bizarre piece of trivia: Gloria Steinem shares the exact same birthday as ANOTHER noted anti-feminist, Anita Bryant (who is somehow still alive).

I STILL find it hard to wrap my mind around that one.

And now I feel like some pie...I wonder why that is...

ANYWAY!

How WONDERFUL it was to see the show without Migraine McCain trying to make it all about herself. It's SO MUCH less tense than it usually is and it's just WONDERFUL. It's like everyone can BREATHE again, I swear to God. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 16
17 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I love football and am excited for the draft. <shrug>

I'm okay with football and sports in general, but I kinda think that having the women come out in football jerseys was a shameless plug from ABC because the draft will be aired there.  I think that Joy was pretty embarrassed about being forced to do that (although, I also know that she takes her hair styling very seriously).  Plus, I don't think Joy is a big fan of football.  I don't think Whoopi is, either, but I think she just goes along with some things.

The other women didn't seem to mind, as I know that Sunny is a fan, and I think that Abby is, as well.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, telemachus2 said:

I shoulda enjoyed today's Meghan-free show more than I did.  It got off to a dismaying start (IMO) with the plugs for the televised NFL draft.  Yes, it's on ABC, but why is a female-oriented program celebrating a sexist, racist, anti-gay organization full of owners who pander to criminals at all levels?  Most women I know are more interested in having their sons avoid the physical, mental, & emotional injuries that too often accompany football.  NIMBY - but I'll watch YOUR kid get damaged??

And this is why baseball will always be better than football. ❤️😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

Wow!  I really enjoyed today's show 🙂 

Everyone talked and yes a little of talking over, one or two interrupting of others but NO screeching, accusing, defending the indefensible, no yelling at audience.  Although it was pleasant without MM, her absence really shone a spotlight on how little Abby knows or understands things. (Did she really say she enjoyed Ronald Reagan at the WHCD? Really?)

I was interested in seeing the senator's interview and really wanted to like her.  I came away feeling as if she had pat answers ready.

I also liked Julian Lennon's interview although it was too short for me.  I wanted to know more (that's the way Gillibrand's interview should have left me).

Hoping tomorrow's show is as good!  I have a day out planned and will need to see it in the evening. 🙂 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, UYI said:

How WONDERFUL it was to see the show without Migraine McCain trying to make it all about herself. It's SO MUCH less tense than it usually is and it's just WONDERFUL. It's like everyone can BREATHE again, I swear to God. 

I hope "Migraine McCain" is original...it certainly is enjoyable!  Oh how we wish the Bigwigs at ABC would read these comments.  Perhaps they do, they just don't freakin' CARE!

• Love 6

Love the interpretations of "feminism" by the Twin Daughters.  Abby looks to the women she sees on television who are "trying to balance it all, with the family, doing a job that they love."  Then Meghan feels left out and asks, "Does that mean only moms?"   E  G  A  D  ! ! ! !    She then explains that she "gets hit a lot" because she doesn't know what it means to be "a fully formed woman" because she hasn't given birth.

Has she never heard even one man describe himself as a feminist.

A fully formed woman?  Just what in hilarious hell is that?  A woman who is formed...fully?

Perhaps both would appreciate a quote from a right-wing goddess, Phyllis Schafly 1924-2016):

"I think the main goal of the feminist movement was the status degradation of the full-time homemaker. They really wanted to get all women out of the homes and into the workforce. And again and again, they taught that the only fulfilling lifestyle was to be in the workforce reporting to a boss instead of being in the home reporting to a husband."

Reporting to a husband...that cracks me (born in 1940) up!  

Modern Meghan spouts off about the "Third Wave of Feminism," (without describing it, of course) as if the elders at the table are so out of touch.  Princess Get a Clue, not only is there a Fourth Wave; there's a Fifth... just to confuse everyone further.  Check Wikipedia.

Edited by HaaCHOO
some capitalizations; some snark
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

Love the interpretations of "feminism" by the Twin Daughters.  Abby looks to the women she sees on television who are "trying to balance it all, with the family, doing a job that they love."  Then Meghan feels left out and asks, "Does that mean only moms?"   E  G  A  D  ! ! ! !    She then explains that she "gets hit a lot" because she doesn't know what it means to be "a fully formed woman" because she hasn't given birth.

Meghan gets very defensive when talking about not having children.  If she was truly at peace with that decision I don't think she would be defensive.  There are many reasons women choose not to have children but in Meghan's case I think it's because she is incapable of caring about anyone but herself.    

• Love 12
7 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I hope "Migraine McCain" is original...it certainly is enjoyable!  Oh how we wish the Bigwigs at ABC would read these comments.  Perhaps they do, they just don't freakin' CARE!

I found it on YouTube recently haha. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Meghan gets very defensive when talking about not having children.  If she was truly at peace with that decision I don't think she would be defensive.  There are many reasons women choose not to have children but in Meghan's case I think it's because she is incapable of caring about anyone but herself.   

In the 21st Century is anyone REALLY challenging her decision or is it a case of self-appointed martyrdom?  Poor, poor Princes of America. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

There are two parts to this:

As someone who doesn't have children, I recognize that I can't fully appreciate the ebbs and flows of child-rearing the way a mother can, but it's also something that many mothers are quick to point out to people who don't have children, especially if the childless person is sharing opinions that are specific to child-rearing. Even though I practically help raise my younger siblings (the youngest is 15 years younger than me), I'm not a mother so I still feel like I need to preface any opinions I have by first acknowledging my reality that I don't have the full motherhood experience and therefore,  I am not speaking as an expert or with judgment. So I don't really think anything of Meghan prefacing her comments on children with pointing out that she's childless.

The second part to this is when she says stupid shit like she's not a fully formed woman because she hasn't had a child. I don't believe that she gets enough comments like that to really stand out and leave an impression. I think she just uses it as an excuse to cover for the fact that she said something stupid and realized it as soon as the words left her mouth OR when someone pushes back and makes it obvious that she just said something stupid. 

• Love 8

Absolutely no mention of Megaphone McCain’s absence.  Hmmm.

I guess Whoopie thinks it’s funny to mention that her elderly daughter is not there for take your kid to work day, but, it’s not.

Edited by Bronzedog
  • LOL 5
  • Love 11

I apologize if this is getting too OT, but I am a woman around Meghan’s age, and while I am by no means Meghan’s biggest fan, I understand why she’s defensive when motherhood is brought up.

People tend to see women who are mothers as superior to childless women. Mothers are seen as more noble, selfless, kind, nurturing, etc. A lot of people judge childless women as selfish, immature, cold, and uncaring. The attitude can be “How dare you not have kids? Your parents deserve grandchildren!”

I know many mothers who got pregnant in the first place because they were irresponsible, don’t look after their kids as they should, are abusive, just not the best people. Yet everyone gushes over everything about them and the whole process-gender reveal parties, baby showers, baby bumps, breastfeeding, etc. I’ve known career women who’ve busted their butts to make something of themselves, and their best friends didn’t bother to show up at their graduation ceremonies, no gifts, nothing. I personally think all big moments need to be celebrated-not just marriage and babies. 

People don’t push parenthood as much on men, but I’ve also heard people say “there is something wrong with people who don’t have children,” or “when you’re a parent, you’ll understand” very condescendingly to both men and women.

One of my friends has been trying to have a baby for awhile now, and people judge her for it not having happened yet. The poor girl has had a hard time getting pregnant, and she’s had a lot of insensitive comments made to her. 

Some people simply don’t want kids. Some have had horrible childhoods, and sexual trauma in particular can have a lot of effects on how a woman feels about pregnancy. 

What I do find interesting is that a lot of the anti feminists are the ones who really praise motherhood and believe society is against mothers and that mothers don’t get enough praise. They think feminism is the reason for a lot of today’s problems.  Meghan doesn’t like to call herself a feminist, but I think her view on motherhood is feminist. It should be a choice, not something you have to do to be a complete woman. 

To me shaming childless women is just as bad as shaming women whose dream is to be a stay at home mom, and I don’t think one has to be a parent to have good points on parenthood. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 20
22 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I guess Whoopie thinks it’s funny to mention that her elderly daughter is not there for take your kid to work day, but, it’s not.

Whoopi's daughter is too old for "take your kid to work day", she is not a kid. Good Grief!

Isn't Whoopi's daughter a grandmother? I can't keep it straight!

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Isn't Whoopi's daughter a grandmother? I can't keep it straight!

Yes, but Whoopi thinks her schtick/schticks is/are SO HILARIOUS (boobs hittin' her knees, etc.) that she repeats and repeats them. It's possible she started that Take Your Daughter to Work Day joke when it was "invented" by Gloria Steinem in 1983...when Alex was TEN!

Edited by HaaCHOO
Changed TWENTY to TEN (maybe I can't subtract)
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Except Meghan is for forced birth and thinks that having abortion is infanticide so no, nothing feminist about Meg's stance on motherhood.

I don't have children and I agree with your points. The problem with people like Meg-she supports a party that thinks that contraception equals abortion, but wants to remain childless herself. 

You’re absolutely correct about the abortion stance. I specifically mean feminist as far as motherhood isn’t a must for all women. I don’t know if Meghan knows that some anti feminists might judge her for being a career woman and possibly never a mother. 

To be clear, I am pro-choice and baffled by Meghan in the same way you and blondiec0332 are. 

I’m glad I’m not alone in how I feel about the attitude towards motherhood. 🙂

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, sevenrings said:

Another great Meghan-less show (besides that pre-taped? Pitbull interview). 

I enjoyed that interview, and the rest of the show!  

Pitbull seems like a very interesting person, and I appreciated his humility (I hope it really is sincere!)  

What was interesting, though, was that Meghan was very subdued and kind of quiet during the entire thing, until Joy joked that Pitbull should run for President.  All of sudden, she perked up and started her screech-speak!  Meghan seems to not be capable of showing interest in anything except politics and reality TV.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 11

I'm hoping that the producers will have a serious talk with Meghan prior to tomorrow's show, and that they threaten to cut her mic if she doesn't let the other women speak and ask questions of her "Uncle Joe".  

I don't want to see another interview monopolized by Meghan.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

It's not funny and if I have to hear it next year then I might...............................

1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

The problem with people like Meg-she supports a party that thinks that contraception equals abortion, but wants to remain childless herself. 

Therein lies the paradox.

I loved Pittbull when he did a mash up with REO Speedwagon for Messin Around.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 4

Well, sucks that both Biden and McCain are going to be on Friday. And with Biden there, you know Whoopi isn’t going to sit out either, which means Ana will be out. Would’ve much rather had a day with Ana there than one with any of those three.

I enjoy seeing how well Abby gets along with the other ladies. Yesterday’s show they talked about “best friends” making you feel bad or guilty, and a lot of that segment sounded like she was describing her faux BFF McCain.

3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

The show seems extra long today.

Not as much fast-forwarding through ads and screams, lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/24/2019 at 11:05 AM, Coffeewinewater said:

Lol, Sunny schooling Abby on Sarah Huckabee Sanders smokey lies😆😆 sunny's expression was priceless and soft spoken "it's lies , lies." And her little shrug Lol.

Abby dont plan comedy bits lol.

Plus she said 'facts' and i think a lot of people heard it as 'fat' and said she went to far.  Shrug. I thought she was great

• Love 8
23 hours ago, tribeca said:

The show was much more enjoyable today.   

I did not think Kristin Gillebrand presented her best self.  She needs a better answer to the Al Franklin question.  She did seem quite annoyed with Joy.  It was understandable I guess when she said I am running for President joy dropped her questions.  

I did get a chuckle that for the last couple of her segments she focussed solely at W's end of the table and wouldnt even look at Joy.  Oh Happy Daaaay xs2!  Woo!  KG needs to work on her voice.  I found her too high pitched and screechy.  She seemed defensive.  Then she would get more confident or into the issue or something and it didnt seem as bad.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Tammee said:

I did get a chuckle that for the last couple of her segments she focussed solely at W's end of the table and wouldnt even look at Joy.  Oh Happy Daaaay xs2!  Woo!  KG needs to work on her voice.  I found her too high pitched and screechy.  She seemed defensive.  Then she would get more confident or into the issue or something and it didnt seem as bad.

She is defensive because she knows that the Democratic base is against her.  You need your base and build from there.  Look at her social media, she is always begging people for money for her campaign.  Joy was my proxy yesterday when she went after her.  It is also not just about Al Franken. She also made some horrible remarks about the Clintons who have always supported her. Sometimes you have to let sleeping dogs lie. Kirsten wants what she wants and to hell with everybody else..

The show was great without Nutmeg again. I guess she was still licking her wounds and I dread her return tomorrow. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 14