Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Her

Message added by Lady Calypso

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that anything discussed in interviews and articles about future plot points, such as confirmation on future Rebecca's condition, should be taken to the Spoiler and Speculation thread, not in this episode thread. Keep the discussion about what has happened in this episode. Thanks!

• Start Topic

(edited)

That didn't look like Rebecca at all? I don't get the last 5 minute shocker? Did I miss something?

I am so happy a healthy Nicky is there!!  I guess the Randall part, loved Deja.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
(edited)

I will admit I was happy that Randall and Beth were able to compromise and they aren't divorced. But whats going on with Toby and Kate?!

Deja rules.

Bye Zoe.

I get why Kate was so tense with Rebecca hovering like that, but geez she was just trying to help. Glad she apologized.

My God, the makeup job they did with elderly Mandy was awesome.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 24

I know they were trying to connect the past Rebecca story with the present one with her and Kate but I did not like the idea that the family could not get along without her for one night. That was just ridiculous. I had emergency surgery a few years ago and my family did just fine, without being overly worried. I do wonder if the MRIs she’s talked about are connected to what we just saw which suggests dementia (like others have mentioned).

• Useful 2
  • Love 22
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Uhm ok.  So what's up with Rebecca?  Where is Miguel?  So how many years is this in the future? 

Any bets that Kevins kid's mom is Sophie?

My money is on Rebecca having Alzheimer’s. My dad died of it, the way the scene was laid out it makes sense.  Randall had to tell her that he was her son. 

Edited by timesywimesy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 19

Damn, my DVR ended the recording right as Randall is opening the door, and I had another recording on the another channel coming up, so the channel turned.  Turned it back in time to see Rebecca on the bed with Nicky in the room.  

• Love 1

Everyone knew it was Rebecca in the flash forward so that was not a shocker but always enjoy how they flow the past and present in those moments. I'm a sucker for a good montage and I really liked the folk song. Btw it was "Hold Your Head Up High" by Darlingside if anyone was curious.

Kevin is easily my favorite character as he seems to be the most like me. Sensitive and strong and so wonderful with kids. I wished he could have made it with Zoe but I really loved their talk. It was so realistic without lots of talking, just this is the truth.

And baby Jack going home was great. I was a Jack and the day I came home was quite magical for my whole family so I loved that. Not that I remember it but it was a big deal. It made me hopeful.

And seeing Nicky was a wonderful addition. 

And looks like Kevin gets his family. Wonder who he ends up with?

Good season. I binged watched a bunch of episodes and I think I enjoyed it alot more that way.

• Love 21

Older Nikki is with Kevin! Baby Jack grows up alright! Older Toby has an awful beard in the future! Randall almost sacrifices one of his many projects for his family, but doesent and gets everything he wanted! I guess the girls will have to change schools? Sucks for them. Deja is turning into tiny Randall, complete with speeches and secret trips!

Some funny lines this week, especially in the flashbacks. "Blockbuster will always be there." Little Kev pouring on the charm for the nurse, and Jacks reaction. "I dont know what that was." And those awful looking sandwiches that Jack made, and the kids grossed out reactions. Jack apparently has many skills, but cooking is not one of them. 

• Love 19

Maybe a stroke of some kind? There are a lot of conditions that aren't dementia but still not a shocker at her age. That house was huge, almost too big and sterile. I'm happy Kevin is happy though.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Eureka said:

I know they were trying to connect the past Rebecca story with the present one with her and Kate but I did not like the idea that the family could not get along without her for one night. That was just ridiculous. I had emergency surgery a few years ago and my family did just fine, without being overly worried. I do wonder if the MRIs she’s talked about are connected to what we just saw which suggests dementia (like others have mentioned).

It's not surprising that Jack couldn't teach them about patience, dealing with hard situations in a different way, and have them stay home for one night instead of running right off to Rebecca's side the moment things got tough. That's consistent with Jack, for sure. Maybe if Jack had kept the family at home for one night (and let poor Rebecca have a night of rest), they might have learned something about dealing with hard situations.

2 minutes ago, WednesdayAddams said:

Dead or out with Kevin getting food? I can't remember, is he older than her?

Well, Rebecca was six years younger than Jack. I believe Nicky is only a couple of years younger than Rebecca.

2 minutes ago, emjohnson03 said:

And looks like Kevin gets his family. Wonder who he ends up with?

It could be that he's a single parent and decided to have a kid on his own. Personally, I'd rather that than have him thrown together with some random girl or with Sophie again. But again, if we're supposed to assume his son is about ten, we shouldn't theoretically see him have a kid for a few seasons (I believe the flashforwards are 15 years into the future). At least, I hope so. We can know Kevin has a son in the future without needing to see him have a son in the present day stuff.

• Love 14

I'm glad Rebecca's parenting finally got appreciated in this episode. Up until she went into the hospital, I feel like the kids never truly appreciated everything she did for them. 

I'm also glad Kate finally admitted the reason she's such a bitch to her mother is because she feels she can never measure up.

As far as the flash forwards go, my guess is Rebecca has Altzheimer's since Randall has to introduce himself as her son. 

I did not expect Nicky to still be alive.

The makeup department did a terrific job aging Mandy. She'll be 35 next week yet in the flash forward, Rebecca looked in her 80s. Speaking of make-up, why does Beth still look the same age in the flash forwards as she does in the present day, especially in comparison to Randall?

So Kevin had a child after all? I wonder who with. 

I wonder where Annie and Deja are in the flash forwards. 

I'm thinking Miguel must have already died.

I thought this was a pretty good finale given how disappointing this season was. It looks like the remaining three seasons (Dan Fogelman said he plans to end the show at Season 6) will be more flash forwards than flashbacks as the first three seasons were. I have mixed feelings about that because it means we'll be seeing less of Jack, Sr who is my favorite character. But in a way, I'm excited because I feel like something different needs to happen in order for the show to feel fresh again.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, debraran said:

That didn't look like Rebecca at all? I don't get the last 5 minute shocker? Did I miss something?

I am so happy a healthy Nicky is there!!  I guess the Randall part, loved Deja.

I think the shocker is that she at some point hooks up with Nicky? 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Wow.  Finally feels like my show is back.  Glad little Jack grew up to be ok.  Where were Miguel, Annie, and Kate at the end though?  

Pleasantly surprised to see the Kevin and Zoe story not get dragged out.

Now I am looking forward to season 4.

• Love 6
Just now, DakotaLavender said:

I think the shocker is that she at some point hooks up with Nicky? 

Oh I thought they were just relatives, you think it's more? I wonder why Toby said, "Do you think she'd want me there?" to Randall, even if divorced, he's family. And if she's so out of it, how did she ask for the game and other things.

• Love 6

So basically, the “her” was one of the main theories at the end of last season, definitely by the middle of this season. 

The only surprise with the ending was Nicky being there.

9 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Mandy said in an interview it wasn't that condition.  Again the show messing with us and the pin the tail game,etc.  I'm confused.  Why would Randall have to introduce himself if not dementia,etc.

Well, a very recent interview with show creator Dan Fogelman directly addresses that theory, and he refuses to either confirm or deny the Alzheimer’s theory. 

Make of that what you will. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

So.. Randall and Beth.  They don't even know how cute they are.  Scratch that.. they do.  I can't even imagine the make up sex.

Kevin and Zoe.  Kids.  You're on the same page with that - or it's a deal breaker.  Who didn't see that one coming?

Kate and Toby.  So glad baby Jack is okay.  So glad to see Kate show some compassion toward Rebecca after she saw Rebecca's notes.  For us, I don't think it was supposed to be only about Rebecca needing to make notes due to forgetfulness, it was about Kate seeing how much Rebecca cared.  

Corn sandwiches.  Yes, why didn't they order pizza?  They never seem to tire of it.

For some reason, I want a coffee.  I'm craving a coffee right now.  Really hot, steaming, delicious coffee.  

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Spoiler alert: Rebecca gets older. 

Another shocking twist for This Is Us!

3 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I was a big fan of Little Kevin flirting with the nurse and Jack looking confused and saying to her "I don't know what that is."

I'm glad Zoe didn't just compromise what she wanted or prove Kevin right in thinking she just wasn't ready, but I need Kevin to pick woman and stay with her. I mean, we already have a future failed marriage storyline for him and I don't think he really wants or could handle single parenthood. Like, were they teasing us with Sophie moving on? Is he going to get back and have a kid with her? I'm fine either way, but pick a lane. 

Deja with the big dramatic speech. You know how Randall got all offended in the beginning of the season when Kate accidentally implied he didn't have a piece of Dad? Well, he does. It's driving to a location for a dramatic speech and he's passed it on to his adopted child. And I guess Randall just won the lottery a third time because Beth singlehandedly just gave him everything he wanted to solve this problem. That he created.

The family vibe in the final scene was strong. Kevin's house is enormous, but still warm and inviting somehow.

I'm glad Kevin and Zoe broke up. I liked Zoe as a character, but her and Kevin never clicked for me as a couple.

I agree that Deja is more like Randall than Tess and Annie. She's highly intelligent and has a tendency to want to be a savior. She was like that even with her biological mother.

I really liked Tess' and Kevin's scene. I don't like how Dan and the rest of the writers handled Tess' sexuality. They didn't spend nearly enough time on it IMO. I feel like we never got to see Tess come to the realization that she was gay. She just announced one day that she thought she was.

4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Wow.  Finally feels like my show is back.  Glad little Jack grew up to be ok.  Where were Miguel, Annie, and Kate at the end though?  

Pleasantly surprised to see the Kevin and Zoe story not get dragged out.

Now I am looking forward to season 4.

This is how I feel too. I feel like the quality we got in the first two seasons is going to return in the fourth season. Or at least I hope it will.

• Love 9

I love Kevin's house. 

I have not read or watched Mandy's interview, but Alzheimer's would make sense. Dramatically, it would make sense why Tess was dreading coming. I would imagine Rebecca in that condition would not view Randall as her son (thats why she is staying at Kevin's), and Annie, Tess, and Deja as her grandkids. 

We have no clue what is going on with Kate, Annie, Deja and Miguel. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I thought that Randall said “Hi Miggy” for some reason! I thought hey Miguel looks great for 80-something!  Imagine my shock when I read a recap and it was Nicky sitting there!

i should have paid more attention!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, debraran said:

Kevin is rocking it this year, his scenes with Tess and Nicky made the year for me. Too much Randall drama over silly things but I'm glad she decided to move and downsize. It seemed so selfish to keep that huge home with the kids getting older if they wanted to pursue other things.  Material things don't matter, people do.

I'm going to miss that house. Every time it was shown, I always thought, "I would love to live there." I don't blame little Annie for being sad to leave. Tess looked sad too. Deja didn't seem affected one way or another. Since her early childhood was filled with such instability, I'm sure Deja will have a much easier time adjusting to Philly.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Of COURSE, Jack speechifies his way into a hospital room before visiting hours.  No wonder the entire family just opines and bloviates for minutes on end, with glistening eyes, a catch in the throat and earnest, aw shucks charm.  They learned it from dear old Dad.  

Deja may not be Randall’s bio kid (and he wasn’t Jack’s), but man, does that Pearson Pontificating gene just get absorbed via osmosis?  Now we get deep, meaningful wisdom from every generation.  At this rate, I expect Little Jack won’t have a “baby’s first word” moment.  Instead he will have a 10 minute oral dissertation on why he needs to quit daycare and just “find his bliss” on his own.

So, are they suggesting Becca’s car accident brought on her dementia (??), 40 years later?  And while I’m happy to see Nicky in the future, where the Hell is Miguel?!?  They better not kill him off too soon!  

Did Toby give the impression he and Kate aren’t together in the future?  I got that vibe.  

Loving Kevin’s amazing  future house and future coffee maker!

I'm glad you brought up Rebecca's accident. I thought the writers had her spend a night away from the kids to show that the family was just as dependent on her to survive as it was with Jack, at least when the kids were adolescents. But I didn't even think about them writing the accident as a way to affect Rebecca's health years later. Good thinking on your part.

• Love 3

Decent finale, but they've had better.  Rebecca being the famous her wasn't surprising.  It's not too far from what happened to Jack.  He had a heart condition that ended up contributing to his death, but no one realized.  I think Rebecca's accident did more damage than they thought and it might have led to her being where she was in the future.

As for Beth and Randall...ok?  I do miss how they used to be, but this reunion didn't feel earned.  A nice speech and moving to Philadelphia isn't going to solve things, considering they've had these problems for years.  I actually thought they were going to move into the apartment building they own but never mention.  At any rate, these two need marriage counseling more than anything else, but I think the writers want to get them back at status quo, so here we are.

Was Beth upset because there were so many mommy types in her class?  Unless she'll only teach aspiring ballerinas, who's to say she won't get that same clientele in Philadelphia?  

Speaking of speeches, haha, Deja finally got to do hers.  She did a good job at it.  Still, one Pearson speech per episode is enough.  Didn't need to hear Jack's.

Too bad for Kevin and Zoe, but neither is right or wrong.  They just wouldn't work out.

Glad Kate woke up to how bratty she was being (again) because I was not in the mood for that for the millionth time.  And yes, some of that is on her own insecurities, not because Rebecca was a great mom. 

I wonder if Nicky reminds Rebecca of Jack, and that's why they're together in the future, assuming that's the case.  If so, poor Miguel.

• Love 10

The part where the kids were freaked out by their mom being gone was a bit much, but it still got me.  I had to go to the ER this morning for something and my little boy was a wreck as he has memories of me being away in the hospital for breast cancer.  Kids freak out. 

The shocker I think was the brother being present at the end.   I didn’t see that coming.

I was happy for Randall & Beth; particularly after seeing their story last week.

Wondering what the deal was with the kid games.  

I felt bad about Kevin and Zoey.  The actress is gorgeous and they had nice chemistry.  I hope the Kevin offspring isn’t Sophie’s.  I want her happy with her Billy Joel loving guy.

I’m usually meh about Kate.   

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Why wouldn't Tess have visited her?

This show does that.  Rebecca's condition as shown can't be a surprise at that point.  Everyone else seemed to be taking it in stride, no shaking, tears or protests about not being ready to see "HER" yet.  I really don't think Tess would be any different (it's possible, but doubtful - haven't we seen an older Tess who seems like a very together person?).  They did it with Zoe, too.  Beth had a pretty strong warning for Kevin about him dating Zoe and, seriously, was it just that she didn't want kids?  This show does that.

12 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Where is Deja or Annie in the flash-forward? 

Hopefully off somewhere living their lives - seeing the world!

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, debraran said:

even if divorced, he's family.

He's Jack's family.  If my siblings divorced I truly can't imagine seeing one of my brother-in-laws or one of my sister-in-laws at anything not directly related to their specific kids. 

My other brother-in-law would totally show up for my mom if he and my sister were divorced (and did when he and my sister were divorced for a  minute that one time).  But the other two?  I don't even think anybody would think to invite them. 

So I don't think Toby and Kate are divorced.   If Kate were dead I could see the family keeping Toby.  But I hope Kate's just part of the they that is on the way with Jack.

I'm guessing a stroke.  With Alzheimer's they'd have time with it.  It really is the long goodbye.   This seems like something more sudden.   

I don't love that Beth is the one to bend again.  However, this was the solution I've been saying (along with many, many, many other people) is THE solution.   

I thought Rebecca was really undermining Kate at the hospital.   Kate needs a chance to figure this stuff out.   Step back lady.  But I think I might be a party of one there.  I really, really, really did like Kate's moment with Rebecca and when she admitted all of her insecurities weren't going to magically go away so apologizing in the future but I wish Rebecca had said that she was kind of being super a lot at the hospital.

I felt like there was some Chekhov's gun action going on with that milkshake and fries thing, though.  I mean you guys just talked about how awesome it was and how Randall was missing out and he was all, "get me an iced tea."  Whatever, Randall.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 13