Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: The Graduates

• Start Topic

Dammit Randall, I was almost starting to like you again, and then you go and have a butthole relapse. 

Still, I did love the Big Three moment at the end. I hope Kate and the baby will be okay.

Loved Toby and Audio's cap and gown getup!

• Love 23

More incest jokes?  There getting a little uncomfortable.

This is probably the most I've liked Kate. She let Toby be Toby and give her a graduation without being all whiny about it.  Plus she had a nice moment with her mom without blaming her mom for being skinnier or prettier or whatever she usually blames her for. She really stepped up for Kevin, until her water broke which she had no control over.  Even teen Kate was supportive of Kevin at the end, and I'll forgive her earlier behavior because was worried about their future as a family, and missing her dad.

I liked the past Rebecca stuff, too.  

It's really ironic that Jack may have lost his life to save a few things from the house, when it appears that pretty much everything survived in tact.  Like all those video tapes.  

Seems weird that Toby wasn't with Kate during the Big three momentat the end, but maybe he had to go the bathroom.  Bathroom needs don't wait for crises to pass.  

Miguel proved once again how good a friend he is.

And, though they didn't really show much of her, I still love Madison.  Sure, sometimes she's too perky, but she's just such a good friend and always there.

• Love 21

I loved that scene at the end of the Big Three, making promises they can't keep. I love Randall showing up and calling himself just "Deja's dad" with no foster attached anymore. I love that he stopped being angry when the teacher started crying and took down the post, because I related to that teacher way too much. I loved that Randall snarked on Kevin/Kate and got snarked back for his relationship with Rebecca - at least they're throwing those jokes around evenly, although Toby could've not thrown the Hemsworths in there. I loved Miguel being a good friend at the graduation, especially since his being there surprised me since they made an excuse for him not being there in the present day - I assumed Jon Huertas had the week off. Toby was a great husband supporting Kate's triumphs. Madison continues to be an annoying but kind and lovable best friend to Kate. A sad Madison at the hospital trying to make things better next week would be appreciated. Solid work from Mandy Moore and I thought Justin Hartley played that moment of reassuring Kate in the car and the guilt when calling Toby really well. 

Randall asking Beth to hold off on her dreams was unfair. He should know better. I'm less convinced than I was previously about them not ending up divorced. I'm deeply worried Kate's gonna die, even though I think that would be their "jump the shark" moment. 

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Kevin said that Toby was talking to the doctors....which works with me because that was a good Big Three moment. 

OK, that's cool.  I just missed that he said that.  It was a good moment, and I'm glad they had it, but it seemed weird that Toby would leave Kate's side.  

• Love 1

Randall continues to be a self-centered ass. Stop the presses.

10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

How old is Deja?  Isn't she like 13 or 14?  Why, pray tell, do they need a babysitter at all?  Unless she's still a foster kid.  Then they probably have crazy rules about that.  But, if she's been adopted, why pray tell, do they need a babysitter at all?  How old is Tessa?  Between the 2 of them, they can easily look after Annie.

Because Randall and Beth are annoying yuppie helicopter parents. There's literally nothing about their three smart, sweet, well-adjusted daughters that screams "We need 24/7 adult supervision!!!" and yet here we are.

Randall's permajackassery aside, nice episode. The teen Big 3 really do have the adult actors' mannerisms down pat.

Madison inventing the mojito was a nice touch too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

I know this is a TV show, but the Randall and Beth conflict is so dumb, I just can't. Why does it have to be all or nothing for Beth? As someone stated above, Deja is like 13, can't she be home alone with her sisters for a few hours after school? Also, Beth's evening classes are only three times a week (and if they are truly in the evening, wouldn't Randall be home by then?). Are you really telling me the family can't come together and work out a schedule where everyone makes some sacrifices, but they all get something out of it. 

It's funny b/c in one scene I wanted to punch Randall in his dumb "put a pin in it" face, but then when he showed up at the hospital I just wanted to give them all a big hug. 

Echoing others I loved the connection and the "moments" between Kevin and Kate. 

• Love 22
(edited)
8 minutes ago, milner said:

Is it really possible to use community college credits to complete a university/college degree? It sure isn’t where I come from. 

Eight credits at community college to finish a degree started 16 years ago seems...unlikely.

But I did like Audio in his little graduation cap. There aren't nearly enough cute pups in this show.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 9

Community colleges have graduation ceremonies.  They have them both semesters.  Way more than 3 people would be graduating.   

Is Kate 8 credits short of an associates degree?  Because if so?  She could get that at a community college.  Is she 8 credits short of a university degree that is less likely (I think my school had a rule about the last how many ever hours had to be done with them) but in my final semester of school I was missing some weird credits.   Government 105 was the one I had to drop something else to take because literally I couldnt' get my degree where I'd taken several grad level classes without it.  If she was missing only core make you well rounded classes, she might be able to do those at community college.   I knew somebody who didn't graduate for lack of a math credit.   A few years down the road the school changed what counted for math credits and he could graduate with the classes he'd already taken.   

I'm 2 years older than the big 3 and was born at 28 weeks after my mom's water broke.   Toby was talking to the doctor caused me to laugh because for whatever reason the doctor told my dad privately that my mom needed to have a c-section and he just didn't get around to telling her before they came in to prep her for said c-section.    

Randall's a jackass, I mean I yelled that at the television.  But I'm not sure that giving up his seat is good either, I mean he made a huge comitment to his voters. There has to be a better option than his wife being the only person ever who has to sacrifice.  

I do think the girls can be alone but it was just a few months ago that Deja got angry and destroyed a car.  Plus there are after school activities... but you can hire a college student for that.  They don't need to be wildly up on adoption or LGBTQ issues to drive from school activities.   

• Love 21
8 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Randall's a jackass, I mean I yelled that at the television.  But I'm not sure that giving up his seat is good either, I mean he made a huge comitment to his voters. There has to be a better option than his wife being the only person ever who has to sacrifice.  

There's no real good solution. Randall made this bed, so now it's on him to deal with it. That doesn't require him to ask his patient and loving wife to give up her dream because he can't make it home during the evenings. Also, it's not like Beth is going to be teaching all weekend either. And she's only teaching class three nights a week (I can't remember if she said her hours on weekends) so why is he making it sound like they'll never see each other or spend time with their kids? I mean, they could have worked it out if he was working in their state....also, let's not pretend and actually say that the drive is actually two hours one way and not one and a half like they're pretending it is (I know my geography, and I don't even live in the US!).

Also he doesn't have a 9-5 job so the likelihood that he'll have to work weekends is pretty high....so again, pray tell where this time with the family is going to be? Because it sounds like he expected Beth to pick up the slack at home when he inevitably has to cancel family plans for politics. Trust me; with a father who has been working in the political sector for well over a decade, I know all too well how unpredictable his job will be. 

• Love 10

Oh My....that last scene really got to me!  The Teen Big 3 are so wonderful & so real....we saw the intense twin relationship between Kevin & Kate...she could feel he was in trouble.   I thought Deja was smart for realizing she was not ready to go to High School...she knows the importance of stability in her life.  And I burst into tears at the scene of Rebecca watching the tape of Jack, that just broke my heart.  And Miguel proved himself a good friend.  I love the Big 3 scenes!

• Love 12

For those bagging on Randall, I went back and watched to make sure, and he said that he was going to look for a job with normal hours, so, he might be giving up his city councilman seat. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Is Kate 8 credits short of an associates degree?  Because if so?  She could get that at a community college.  Is she 8 credits short of a university degree that is less likely (I think my school had a rule about the last how many ever hours had to be done with them) but in my final semester of school I was missing some weird credits.   Government 105 was the one I had to drop something else to take because literally I couldnt' get my degree where I'd taken several grad level classes without it.  If she was missing only core make you well rounded classes, she might be able to do those at community college.   I knew somebody who didn't graduate for lack of a math credit.   A few years down the road the school changed what counted for math credits and he could graduate with the classes he'd already taken.   
---
I do think the girls can be alone but it was just a few months ago that Deja got angry and destroyed a car.  Plus there are after school activities... but you can hire a college student for that.  They don't need to be wildly up on adoption or LGBTQ issues to drive from school activities.   

My brother had to go an extra year because the four-year school that took all his transfer credits had prerequisites for some of those classes that he had to take. (Worked out pretty well for me, though; I had a grant from my school that got cut by almost 75% after he was no longer in school.)

That bit about getting a sitter who's up on newly-out tweens or however he put it bugged me. Tess is not in some kind of existential crisis that all the adults around her need to be super-sensitive to just because she's recently figured out she's likes girls. 

• Love 15

If she graduated after an 8 week winter term, she would be invited to the spring gradation but there wouldn’t be a specific graduation for students graduating after that term. Also, it’s possible she failed and never repeated a couple basic courses that would be offered at a community college... or it could be a community college that offers a couple basic bachelors degrees. None of this is likely but possible enough to fanwank/handwave.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

For those bagging on Randall, I went back and watched to make sure, and he said that he was going to look for a job with normal hours, so, he might be giving up his city councilman seat. 

I had to rewatch too. What was said was this:

Randall: I was wondering...if maybe we should....put a pin in your being a dance teacher. But not forever. And we(?) get a job with normal hours so you can be here for the kids.

Beth: So you can have your dream and I'm supposed to quit mine?

Listening to that part, it does sound like Randall does say "we"....but the issue is that he completely contradicts that with saying "so YOU can be here for the kids" and then Randall doesn't get to explain to Beth that they'd both be quitting when she says that he doesn't get to quit his dream but she does. So....it seems like Randall isn't going to be quitting, from what I interpreted and what they left off with. Perhaps Sterling just fumbled with that particular line.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

There's no real good solution. Randall made this bed, so now it's on him to deal with it. That doesn't require him to ask his patient and loving wife to give up her dream because he can't make it home during the evenings. Also, it's not like Beth is going to be teaching all weekend either. And she's only teaching class three nights a week (I can't remember if she said her hours on weekends) so why is he making it sound like they'll never see each other or spend time with their kids? I mean, they could have worked it out if he was working in their state....also, let's not pretend and actually say that the drive is actually two hours one way and not one and a half like they're pretending it is (I know my geography, and I don't even live in the US!).

Also he doesn't have a 9-5 job so the likelihood that he'll have to work weekends is pretty high....so again, pray tell where this time with the family is going to be? Because it sounds like he expected Beth to pick up the slack at home when he inevitably has to cancel family plans for politics. Trust me; with a father who has been working in the political sector for well over a decade, I know all too well how unpredictable his job will be. 

Even if it was a 9-5, it'd still be a 10-12 hour day (depending on how long they think the commute is this week), not accounting for traffic and weather delays, before he gets home to his family. How much quality time will he give them in the evening after doing that slog every day?

6 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

I thought he was suggesting Beth should do that.

• Love 9

I can't believe Randall said that. I'm speechless. I wish I was in the room when the actors read this scene in their script. 

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Randall was great for the first time in a while for me because he finally got a plot with at least one of his kids instead of bullshit career stuff. It's been a season since we last saw Randall spend time with any of his kids. I'd rather Tess or Annie get some love, but Deja's not a bad choice. Plus, it really reminded me why I did like Randall once upon a time....well, right up until the last 12 minutes when he asked Beth to put aside her dreams. I thought maybe that he'd say that he was going to resign from office or that they would move to Philly or something. 

I thought he was resigning, too. SMH

1 hour ago, mariah23 said:

Raise your hand if you want to punch Randall in the face after that?

Both my hands are up. I think all of us wanting to punch Randall are like those people in that scene in Airplane. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 19

From a strictly financial point of view, Randall probably made sense.  I don't imagine a newly hired dance teacher with no teaching experience at a local dance studio is making very much money at all.  It would likely cost more to hire someone than Beth is making.  It would have made more sense for Randall to talk with Beth about the issue to see if they could come up with a solution together.  

Deja is smart to realize that she wants the stability that she has now.  Good for her.

Randall showing up at the hospital made me smile.  I love the Big 3 together.  Great flash back this week, too.

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

No. He asked Beth to look for a job with normal hours. She even said he was asking her to give up her dream while he lived his. And he said they needed more money coming in and promptly bought a ticket to LA. On KAYAK, a round trip, same day ticket is around $420. Less than I thought it would be, but still. 

#FreeBeth

27 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Randall: I was wondering...if maybe we should....put a pin in your being a dance teacher. But not forever. And we(?) get a job with normal hours so you can be here for the kids.

Listening to that part, it does sound like Randall does say "we"....but the issue is that he completely contradicts that with saying "so YOU can be here for the kids" and then Randall doesn't get to explain to Beth that they'd both be quitting when she says that he doesn't get to quit his dream but she does. So....it seems like Randall isn't going to be quitting, from what I interpreted and what they left off with. Perhaps Sterling just fumbled with that particular line.

22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Even if it was a 9-5, it'd still be a 10-12 hour day (depending on how long they think the commute is this week), not accounting for traffic and weather delays, before he gets home to his family. How much quality time will he give them in the evening after doing that slog every day?

I thought he was suggesting Beth should do that.

Okay, I went back and watched again, and he did say "we." I agree that he really meant "you" (Beth).

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Oh, Randall......

image.png.69d6d30639246351b998afeb229992aa.png

You are seriously asking your wife to give up her dream job to pick up the slack at home caused by your flight of fancy political career in a district you don't even live in? You, sir, are a moron. Why don't YOU find a more stable 9-5 job if you are so concerned about it. Also; the kids aren't babies. I think they can handle Beth working nights and weekends. If not, you've got bigger problems. Besides, at their age, they will be having their own weekend and after-school activities and plans with friends independent of the family.

That being said, I did like the rest of this episode. Especially the teen and adult big three scenes at the end. Also liked seeing Miguel helping Rebecca through her breakdown at Randall's graduation. You can see how they were naturally drawn to each other after Jack's death. I was also happy the family now knows Kevin fell off the wagon. I was a little worried it would be a long drawn out thing. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 19

I liked the exploration in this episode of Deja's school situation. Yes, of course having an essay posted on the school paper is going to draw attention to her and her teacher Miss Cunningham should have known that. But there is a deeper resentment that she is being treated differently and looked at differently from her white classmates, even when she does something to draw praise and recognition. And it is understandable that she doesn't want to go through an imminent upheaval of being thrust into high school a year ahead, even though it should feel like a reward for working hard and being smart. It is going to be a hard decision for Deja, Randall, and Beth to make.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, milner said:

Is it really possible to use community college credits to complete a university/college degree? It sure isn’t where I come from. 

Some people do begin their college degree at community college and transfer those credits to a university. Some colleges actually have special programs for students with an associate's degree, or they have special agreements with a community college, called a 2+2 program. I have seen these programs in both Ohio and West Virginia. Even if they don't have an agreement with a community college, a lot of credits should transfer if the school is accredited. However, if Kate wasn't attending the same school she did before, she may have been required to take more hours than she really needed because some schools require that you complete a certain amount of your degree at their school to award the degree.

• Love 8

Both Beth and Randall should consider jobs with normal hours. Beth has her dream job but did she think about working nights and the problems it might cause when she took it? Or did she think "oh Randall should give up his job so I can take these night hours ?"  She didn't put any thought in taking the job with those hours.  They both should have talked over their job hours.

• Love 22

Weird question, but I was very distracted in the scenes with Kate.  It looked like she got smacked and had a bump on her right cheek (left facing the camera).  I first noticed it when she was in bed and Toby woke her up, but it was still there during the graduation.  Don't know if it was camera angles or what but I never noticed that before.  Am I the only one who saw it? 

Otherwise I liked the episode except for Randall asking Beth to give up on the dance teaching for a while.  I wanted to smack him.

• Love 6

The teacher made the point that Deja had been held back one grade, so her skipping 8th grade would actually put her on grade level with the freshman class, at least age wise.  But, if she's not ready for it, it will fail.

I have a solution for Randall.  Act like a veteran politician and just blow off your constituents.  Let your staff handle all the problems, maybe show up for a council meeting now and then, and take care of your home life instead.  Let the media ravage you, who cares?  Then walk away from it all at election time.

My heart broke for Rebecca when she was watching that video of Jack and herself.  Although not nearly as severe as that, I have the same reaction to a song that I hear every so often.

• Love 7

I get that teen Kate was upset and self conscious and mourning Jack's death, but I can guarantee you that no one in the audience would have been thinking any of the things she was worried about ("Look at that poor girl whose dad just died," "Did you hear she isn't going to college?") because all the parents and relatives are just focused on "OMG, my sweet little Bobby Joe is graduating!!" Seriously, sometimes it isn't all about you, Kate.

Deja's teacher sucks for posting her essay online without permission. No matter how amazing you think a student's writing is, it should not be published without permission, even in the school paper/literary magazine, let alone online where nothing ever disappears. Taking it down isn't going to stop the kids from teasing her.

I was surprised that the first thing Kate told Kevin to do was tell Zoe.

Randall can suck it. Why should Beth quit teaching dance? If he is so concerned that someone needs to be home with the kids at night and on weekends, then HE can give up his city council position. Seriously, GTFO, Randall.

And I am not here for Toby's anger at Kevin. Toby can suck it too if he's going to yell at Kevin and somehow blame him for Kate going into labor.

While I understand Randall's excitement at the idea of Deja skipping eighth grade and going to ninth grade, he needs to take more than her academic progress into account. She has had a lot of stress and upheaval in her life, so if she is happy now then she should not skip a grade unless SHE really wants to do it.

In the long run, finishing school one year sooner is not going to have a huge impact on her life. But what CAN have a significant impact is feeling like she fits in with her peer group. It's easier to skip kids when they're in elementary school but once they're in middle school, it's done much less often because it's harder for them to adjust and make new friends. She said that she is happy with the way things are now, so he should respect her wishes to stay with her classmates and go into eighth grade next year.

3 hours ago, Manda317 said:

Some people do begin their college degree at community college and transfer those credits to a university. Some colleges actually have special programs for students with an associate's degree, or they have special agreements with a community college, called a 2+2 program. I have seen these programs in both Ohio and West Virginia. Even if they don't have an agreement with a community college, a lot of credits should transfer if the school is accredited. However, if Kate wasn't attending the same school she did before, she may have been required to take more hours than she really needed because some schools require that you complete a certain amount of your degree at their school to award the degree.

She is not attending the same school as before. In a previous episode, she said she was eight units short of her BA when she left school and she is now attending a community college.

Many schools will allow you to take a planned leave of absence and then return without reapplying (which is usually done when students go abroad or if there is some sort of situation that requires them to take a semester off).  But after being gone for 16 years from University A, you can't then go to Community College B and expect to receive a degree from University A. It IS possible, but it would require you to go to University A and discuss it with them beforehand. You can't just stroll into the registrar's office and say, "Hey, I took those last two classes somewhere else so can I have a degree now?"

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

This reminded me of Veep when Tom said, "We have to do everything we can to stop that bill. So...are you?" and Ben responded, "You know, you just started that last sentence with a 'we' and you finished it with a 'you.'"

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

You can't just stroll into the registrar's office and say, "Hey, I took those last two classes somewhere else so can I have a degree now?"

You could at my alma matter.  You could apply for graduation at any time.  And you could use the graduation requirements that were for your degree from when you attended the university or the current requirements.  You would have to apply for graduation.  So if you finished your class work in February you probably wouldn't be able to get your degree until the following semester but you absolutely could apply for graduation even if you weren't currently enrolled in the university.  The fee is steep and some credits might not count but these are usually stem related and I don't think Kate was in a stem related degree field.  

She would be SOL in my alma matter however because he'd need her final hours be completed within the institution.  But they sometimes will make exceptions to this rule if they have a relationship with the other institution.  

I watched last night but very tired. I'm wondering if some of that curbed my expectations. I thought the graduation thing was a bit over the top, cute, but took too long. I understand fillers are put of programs but I see it more now than when I was younger.

Who thought Randall was going to say something else to Beth? Jeez, I know he just won an election and couldn't give it up, but I was still surprised he was like, "You'll have to stop this". He needs an expensive babysitter because of Deja and his "out" daughter? Who says that?  He needs a dependable college student and they exist. Writers could have found a nice,nerdy, sweet girl that they all like who needs extra money.  It doesn't go that way I assume.

I thought Rebecca's grief was done well, especially the scenes with Miguel. I didn't know grief groups were like AA groups in availability but I'm glad it was shown. 4 months isn't a long time and this was the first full event with Jack and realization she could be alone soon. It will be interesting to see what happens with Miguel and how they get together later after he leaves with FB. I like how he was matter of fact and gave her what he felt she needed but not getting emotional with her. They both hurt but differently.

Kevin drinking was anti-climatic, we knew that and the excuses would follow but why were they asking him if had spoken to Nicky?  Was that to show some continuity if/when they bring him back? He looked like, "I think I have own plate full right now" . I did feel bad when he told Toby he had been drinking and couldn't drive but it is safer to rush to hospital by ambulance vs car. That was the right all either way. I remember Robin Williams saying that the first time he drank after a while he was okay and then he had some more (of course) and those little bottles starting jiggling in his pockets. He had quite a few on a set one day, he felt like a set of chimes.  I hate seeing Kevin like this but I hope it has a believable arc and I know he will nail it with his improved acting or maybe just improved scripts. And I admit, I hope Nicky and him talk again.

I don't buy the stricken faces next week yet, since Chrissy said they need to be happy and they had to be realistic but she'll be okay. Maybe preemie and it goes home with monitors etc. (Unconventional parenting Chrissy mentioned?)  No one likes to say weight, but writers felt they had to be realistic with her high risk factors, which I think are weight, age and maybe other things we don't know about. Heart issues?

Edited just now by debraran

• Love 4
6 hours ago, camom said:

From a strictly financial point of view, Randall probably made sense.  I don't imagine a newly hired dance teacher with no teaching experience at a local dance studio is making very much money at all.  It would likely cost more to hire someone than Beth is making.  It would have made more sense for Randall to talk with Beth about the issue to see if they could come up with a solution together.  

Deja is smart to realize that she wants the stability that she has now.  Good for her.

Randall showing up at the hospital made me smile.  I love the Big 3 together.  Great flash back this week, too.

If Randall gave up the $$$ cars and his many plane trips (although this was nice) and downsized in other areas, they could make it work. They've been coasting for a while on some good investments. I don't see the problem with a college student, smart, fun, etc. (they exist) helping out. Why the reference to his gay daughter again. She doesn't need special handling by a sitter. Jeez...

• Love 20
8 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

How old is Deja?  Isn't she like 13 or 14?  Why, pray tell, do they need a babysitter at all? 

I think some or all of the girls have after-school activities to which they need to be driven. 

• Love 7