Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Roaring Munchies

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

The chefs walk in on an epic battle of Last Chance Kitchen and are drafted into the fight; once Tom declares a winner, the chefs begin a challenge making dishes based on Prohibition Era cocktails; chef Ken Oringer joins for a Roaring Twenties party.

Air date: January 10, 2019

I don’t watch LCK, so it was a little weird to just jump right into it, and it flew quickly and kind of all over the place, so it was hard to even keep track of who was there watching let alone who was doing what in terms of cooking, but all the food looked great (other than the dessert from Nini, but that’s just because I hate bananas and don’t care for tapioca pudding, either).

I wasn’t surprised to see they’d already become a bit clannish after living and competing together for several weeks, and were thus “Who’s this interloper?” about Brother.  I didn’t like, though, one of them (can’t remember who) questioning Kelsey on how she could have given her best to help Brother.  Like she – who certainly wasn’t some exception who was happy to have him around! – said, what was she supposed to do?  That was her assignment, plus members of the winning restaurant were told they’d get an advantage.

Graham Elliot manages to be even more annoying in 20s attire, but I liked looking around at everyone else’s outfits.  And I like all the cocktails (whiskey sour just so-so, but the others I’d quite happily drink), so I really enjoyed seeing what everyone came up with for the EC.  The top three all looked delicious, and like they'd be great pairings with the drink.  I understand why Padma said it was a really tough choice to pick the winner among the three (I was pretty torn between Eric's and Kelsey's).

Michelle’s, Brother’s, and Brian’s just plain looked/sounded bad sitting there on the napkin, but Sara’s I couldn’t tell had significant problems (other than not really seeing how it was inspired by the drink) until they started talking about it (same with Adrienne’s), so I was a little surprised she was in there instead of Michelle, but obviously I didn’t taste any of it.  And it seemed between Brian and Brother as to who was going to get eliminated, so I quit analyzing.  As bad as Brian’s was, Brother seemed an easy choice – it wasn’t a good concept in response to the challenge, and then was poorly executed.  I guess the same can be said of Brian’s, but Brother’s just seemed bad.

Two random notes:

At the store, it looked like their items were being put into paper Whole Foods bags instead of their usual cloth bags with the TC knife logo, but then when they came into the kitchen they were in the cloth bags.  Did anyone else notice that, or did I see the in-store bags wrong?

This 5:00 start time (I'm in CA but get the East Coast feed on my satellite) is killing me.  I may have to start recording it and watching later.  Because now I have to get back to work, but I'm hungry - and craving a cocktail!

• Love 12

I'm not a fan of Brother and am glad he is one and done, but i was kind of hoping Brian will get PYKAG just so we continue the pattern of winners of Elimination Challenge getting eliminated after their recent win(s).

Edited by argrow
  • Love 5

The bottom three dishes sounded awful.    Brian is very lucky he didn't go home, and it's so ironic Brother Luck left for the same reason two seasons in a row.   

I loved all of the 20's clothes though.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11

I don’t watch LCK either. It went too fast and I didn’t get a chance to see who the tasting chefs were. I’m glad Brother went quickly, I was getting tired of everyone bitching about how they didn’t want him there. I don’t like that they are continuing LCK. 

Brian should have gone home, his dish sounded awful. All the cocktails sounded delicious. Next time I go out I’m getting an Old Fashion. 

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, susannot said:

So there are going to be TWO LCK winners coming back?  Ridiculous, show.

Same thing happened last season, well actually there were three because both LeeAnn and Claudette came back from the part one of LCK.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Brian is very lucky he didn't go home,

I was surprised he didn't, I don't think his had any positive feedback; everything was dried out, etc.

Eddie saying he guesses he has resting bitch face was funny.

Loved the 20s theme and outfits.

• Love 7

I know there are some Below Deck viewers here. Did Eric's description of his oyster remind anyone of Rocky's infamous oysters grenadine and Jif peanut butter salad with crushed Oreos?

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/below-deck-kate-chastain-tries-rocky-grenadine-and-oyster-concoction-for-herself

Brian's dish seemed like a fail all around. But then again, Brother's was one of the earlier dishes. The heat in his canape probably made it a little bit more difficult for the judges to taste some of the other canapes.

I'm hoping Kelsey meant that The Great Gatsby was romantic as in romanticism and the veneration of emotions and feelings because otherwise she kind of missed key elements of the story. Gatsby is melancholy, cynical, and a tragedy.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 20

Brother's edit where he kept saying that he couldn't believe he was back on the show was tiresome.  I really thought Nini had won LCK but then it would have not made sense to bring back previous cheftestants.

I groaned when Brother got eliminated at the end and then Tom said he was going back to LCK.   Brother said in his TH that he had his chances and he was looking forward to the new people getting their chance or something to that effect.   Does that mean Nini can be the starter chef at LCK?!!!!   Even Brother knows he won't win LCK again....no way One Judge Tom will let that happen.  Why are we even bothering with the charade?

I never understood Brother's flavor profiles anyway.   Southwestern Japanese?  Cocktails with Bahn Mi?   Ugh.

• Love 8

Apparently I was not the only one who thought NiNi's dress looked like a mumu....vindicated....carry on!! 

The whole Brother thing just seemed like a gimmick to me.  I don't know why he even wants to come back. I hate these shows where former contestants keep coming back....just get on with your life.  Most of them do a lot better than the winners ever did anyway.....

• Love 11

How come they never formally introduced Ken Oringer?   Poor Dude.  They've had to edit out chefs out of previous seasons so maybe they are hedging their bets now.  That guy didn't exactly get the typical boost for his restaurants.   This is a commercial for those who show up.

I was also surprised to see how much weight Graham put back on.   Even from the last time he showed up on some TV show...more weight.   I wonder what determines who stays slim and who doesn't after those surgeries?

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Apparently I was not the only one who thought NiNi's dress looked like a mumu....vindicated....carry on!! 

I thought he was referring to her nightgown; she said if she didn't win, she was going to haunt them in her nightgown, and right after that he said he'd wear the muumuu in her honor.  So I assumed she'd been sleeping in something that resembled a muumuu and they'd been commenting on it.  Calling something that is as much about the shape as the floral print, and her FOH dress had a belt.  With her being the one to specify she'd wear her nightgown to haunt them and that leading into the muumuu comment, it seems more likely it refers to regular sleepwear for which the cheftestants (good-naturedly) teased her than a one-time dress.

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Eddie's cream reducing and making "chewy butter solids" was intriguing.

It was funny how they showed everybody yelling about the cream boiling over or needing attention.

Well, Brother sure was a flash in the pan. Which is fine, I didn't care to see him come back, but I'm surprised Tom let the LCK returnee get knifed so quickly.

Happy for Eric to get the win! He must've been an oyster-shucking machine. And then to have time to plate them all? I have to say, I missed where the pumpernickel toast was in his dish -- I couldn't see it when they showed it.

Padma having a fringe-off with other guests, LOL.

• Love 11

That was enlightening.  All of those chefs are full-fledged adults and some of them were acting like kids on a playground.  We don't want Brother in OUR house.  Brother doesn't belong on OUR team.  Brother came back to try to beat US.  Well, yeah.  That's what you're all trying to do - beat each other.  I don't care much for Brother but that behavior was just juvenile.  Some thoughts are best kept to oneself.  Kelsey and Sarah can go any time.

I don't begin to understand how Kelsey won the challenge.  Raw fish in liquid in a spoon doesn't begin to meet the definition of canapé.  It didn't look at all appealing to me but Tom liked it and I guess that's all that matters.  

Graham must have reverted back to his old eating habits.  He looks heavier every season.  I kept trying to see if he was wearing sneakers with his dressy outfit but I never saw a shot of his feet.  

Justin looked like he was trying to pass as Amish.  Padma looked stunning.

• Love 15

For the second week in a row, I gotta snark on the decor. That wallpapery house is FUG!

Likewise, for me this was another horrible episode of what I thought was my favorite show. Not a fan of the 20s cocktaily concept and also I thought it was very difficult to understand the dialogue in that drunken decadent venue. (No, I'm not a secret sunday school teacher. I just take my food seriously.)

I did think that the top three canapes sounded good and had a lot of effort put into them. I was pulling for Kelsey because she feeds my inner mean.

The other dishes, blech. Ptui,

Brother was definitely the right choice to PYKAG. Even if I would have liked to see a set of parents who were both exotic dancers. I truly believe that one of the worst culinary cardinal sins is making something that is just hot and all you can taste is hot. I love spicy food, but if all I can taste is hot I'm personally and irredeemably offended. B'bye. Can we be done with LCK now?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Brian should have gone home, his dish sounded awful. All the cocktails sounded delicious. Next time I go out I’m getting an Old Fashion. 

I agree!  And although Brother over seasoned and maybe went with a concept that didn't fit the challenge, I would have liked for him to have a day or two off after his mini-restaurant war and be able to come in fresh.  I am really tired of Brian coming out with subpar food.  I think he should have gone home.

I noticed only Sara really congratulated Brother, which I think is just poor sportsmanship of the others.  It made me like Sara more, just because that is the right thing to do.  

16 minutes ago, mlp said:

I don't care much for Brother but that behavior was just juvenile.  Some thoughts are best kept to oneself. 

I don't know Brother, I guess I did not follow the season he was on too much, but the other people's behavior was annoying and disappointing.  Fine to be cheering for your girl Nini, but the way they acted towards Brother is not anything my friend would allow in her kitchen!

• Love 14
3 hours ago, The Solution said:

Brother was definitely the right choice to PYKAG. Even if I would have liked to see a set of parents who were both exotic dancers. 

Two strippers have a son, what should they name him?  Brother, so people will associate him with a religious order.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

didn’t like, though, one of them (can’t remember who) questioning Kelsey on how she could have given her best to help Brother.  Like she – who certainly wasn’t some exception who was happy to have him around!

It was Justin who said that and between the way he phrased the comment, Kelsey and David’s comments it’s clear that Nini’s team from RW felt some guilt about her being eliminated.

• Love 3

wow, I made the Brother comments without watching LCK.  Okay, then I say they really DID mess up and he needed a break before that.  It sounded like they were maybe going to do LCK later potentially.  Anyways, they should have just been done with LCK with him getting into the game and getting dismissed...OR they should have had NiNi competing against the next person dismissed.  This freeforall in LCK is STUPID... it's like groundhog day.  No one is EVER really cut apparently.

• Love 3

Probably just me ... the day, the time .... but I had a hard time getting into this episode.    I have to ‘actually watch’ it. 

Brother seemed so over TC.  I think another cheftestant that was sorry he let the initial season results consume his life. Hopefully he learned a lot from this process. And not focus on all the negative comments he sees.  

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Kelsey’s personality is grating to me.  Such a mean girl.  I felt badly for Brother.  Nini was not all that.

Yeah, I officially don't like her. She IS a mean girl. (I also was surprised when she said she was 29 - I thought she was older.) And I was disappointed in the cliquish, unsportsmanlike behavior of the cast re: Brother coming.

That "grand opening? Grand closing" situation Brother had has got to sting. Really happy Eric won - he's one of my favorites.

• Love 10

I have never had a whiskey sour with egg white in it and I had plenty of them in my youth when they were a fashionable drink.  Maybe that's a Kentucky version, not on the Mid Atlantic where I grew up.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, mlp said:

All of those chefs are full-fledged adults and some of them were acting like kids on a playground.  We don't want Brother in OUR house.

Yeah, but that is Top Chef 101. Every single time this show brings back people from prior seasons, the current group whines about it. Every. Single. Time. 

I pretty much predicted that it would happen over in the LCK thread but didn't quite get right the timing of the complaining. I thought the part where they drop Brother into the house, other contestants blah, blah, blah "it's not fair!" would happen right away. Instead they complained in cars, and then more complaining in the house. 

There's actually something comforting about people acting predictably. It's like a big bowl of mac and cheese to go with the whine.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, AntManBee said:

I like drunk Padma.  She seems fun.  

I was surprised she was slurring her words at the end of the cocktail party. I wonder how long they had between the end and judges table because she seemed to have sobered up by then.

But I loved the look she gave Tom before cutting to commercial after talking to the bottom 3 chefs. That girl does not like eating bad food. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Bastet said:
14 hours ago, mlp said:

don't begin to understand how Kelsey won the challenge. 

She didn't; Eric did.

You're right.  I should have said "final three" but still................ That was in no way a canapé.

She IS a mean girl. (I also was surprised when she said she was 29 - I thought she was older.)

Me too.  I would have guessed Kelsey closer to 40.  She looks rough.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, cameron said:

I have never had a whiskey sour with egg white in it and I had plenty of them in my youth when they were a fashionable drink.  Maybe that's a Kentucky version, not on the Mid Atlantic where I grew up.

A whiskey sour with egg white is the original (like 150 years ago) recipe for the drink. A lot of the earliest cocktail, punch, and medicinal alcohol recipes had egg whites in them. The ingredient has largely fallen out of favor.

https://vinepair.com/articles/why-is-there-an-egg-white-in-my-cocktail/

https://www.saveur.com/how-the-cocktail-got-its-name#page-4

• Love 4

I'm definitely not a fan of oysters, but the way everyone raved about the winning dish, it makes me want to taste it!  The other two in the top three both looked fantastic as well.  I really like these canape, or amuse bouche challenges.  I want one perfect taste--one perfect bite.  Everything that went into that bite has to work together to taste good.  The chef has to find a synergy, a gestalt between all the ingredients, and that skill and vision means Top Chef to me.  I don't like it when I'm served an appetizer that is entree sized (Chopped chefs, , I'm looking straight at you) so I liked to see these chefs rise to that challenge.  Not only must the food taste good and fit the challenge, it must be bite-sized, beautiful, and the chef has got to factor in the plating sequence in their strategy.

Straight up, great challenge!

• Love 5

I know have this image of Brother being eternally stuck in LCK purgatory. Always being on the cusp of escaping, only to be cruelly thrown back in.

It was strange seeing Brian defending his dish at the judges table given that his entire kitchen talking head explained exactly why it was going to suck.

Loved Padma's dress. She put just the right amount of "shimmy" in it going down the stairs.

12 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

A whiskey sour with egg white is the original (like 150 years ago) recipe for the drink. A lot of the earliest cocktail, punch, and medicinal alcohol recipes had egg whites in them. The ingredient has largely fallen out of favor.

Thanks to pasteurized egg products it is making a comeback. There really is a difference in the texture with and without.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3