Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, PeaceLily2 said:

I was brought up the same way.  

Also, I’ve never had a family member clean out all the food.  I think we are missing a lot of the story.

Paul did imply that it wasn’t just the brother who came over. I assume his or Karine’s friends came as well and participated in the feast.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

I live in the US and was always brought up to offer guests who come to my home, refreshments.

Same here. And when we’d visit our relatives down south, my mom would tell me to always accept their offer of food even if I wasn’t hungry, because it was rude not to. I’d usually say no thank you to the food, but ask for a glass of water to oblige them. 

• Love 7

I'm scratching my head over here.  If I was in a long distance relationship with established boundaries, It'd be over if they were violated; BUT, if exclusivity wasn't the case, I'd MUCH rather my boyfriend hook up than accept oral as payment for a ride.  One is normal behavior, the other is prostitution (of the exploit the downtrodden type).

Also, Jon, when you're dating two married women who are in open relationships too, that's usually called the Lifestyle in the US.  If monogamy is not appealing to you, be straight with Rachel; stay single or find a lady in the LS   If it's just a matter of being young and finding it where you can, but monogamy is your preference, carry on.  

• Love 5

OK, I know they weren't on this episode, but I had a thought about Hazel.  Did she quit her job for this visit?  If you work 10 hour days for pocket change wages, I'm thinking they're not generous with the vacation time.  

And I adore how Marta outed her family as being past strippers.  It was made soooo much better by seeing her mom and picturing her, as she is now, working the pole.

3 minutes ago, CousinOliver said:

I'm scratching my head over here.  If I was in a long distance relationship with established boundaries, It'd be over if they were violated; BUT, if exclusivity wasn't the case, I'd MUCH rather my boyfriend hook up than accept oral as payment for a ride.  One is normal behavior, the other is prostitution (of the exploit the downtrodden type).

I also don't understand why the hell he told her about it.  I don't consider it bad lying if you've never even met Angela in person and she's just some person online.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

Angela honestly expected a 30 year old man in another country to not get a little frisky with another woman in his town? “I did the BJ”...oh, Michael. I am going to have that printed on a shirt. Angela is abusive with anger issues. I half expected her to call Michael the n-word when they were arguing.

They should put those words to the 80s song "Hang the DJ".  "Did the BJ Did the BJ Did the BJ...Did the BJ Did the BJ Did the BJ...Did the BJ Did the BJ Did the BJ...Did the BJ, Did the BJ".

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

IOW,  offering food and/or drink seems to me to be a rather universal expression of hospitality.

Conversely, though, it is the obligation of a guest not to take undue advantage. 

Excellent points. And like it being a culture thing, perhaps maybe that is why Paul was so upset; maybe he saw it as an insult that they came over and ate all the food (his claim). Maybe he thinks the relative/friends should have been more understanding of their situation. Still him calling the brother a thief was wrong and truly upset Karina. And that's one thing you learn in a marriage - namecalling family is a no-no. Then genius took it a step further and talked crap on social media. 

A smart person would have instead conveniently dropped by the brother's and other family member's homes the entire week and taken advantage of their hospitality.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, millennium said:

Angela's lucky she had a film crew with her.  I'm not sure she would have made it to dawn under other circumstances.

I agree.  She might be built like a line backer and spewing venom all the time,  but without the camera crew and a mild mannered Nigerian man she would probably never be seen again.  Stomping about that empty beach bar alone in the dark of night... even at a resort.  Dangerous.

I've switched sides in the Pole/Kareeny debacle. Pole obviously has some health issue with bones, knees or hips or something. He walks/runs like an old man. Kareeny is a slovenly sullen brat.  And the streets of developing countries are sooo depressing. I wonder if Kreeny's medical emergency is what we all think it is?

I wish Jon would shave that dreadful cave man beard.  Looks like he started to at the temples and then changed his mind.  The gap between head hair and face hair looks weird.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 13

My absolute favorite part of the episode, and probably of the season so far is Michael and Angela bringing up the BJ that Michael received prior to her visit to Nigeria while they were still communicating. Before the commercial break, I assumed that they were going to talk about his career, as they mentioned his "job". When the conversation continues after the commercial break, they are talking about a "bee-jee" that Michael received from a random girl at a club or wherever that Michael hid from Angela. LMFAO These two are awesome.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I'm 68 years old. Went to a major university with highly regarded athletic teams.  Spent 30 years teaching high school seniors. Don't recall any,  let alone "all young men," getting into bar fights,  never mind racking up a lengthy arrest record for same. 

But then, I don't live in the UK or its Commonwealth nations, where drunken young brawlers apparently think they're all that but women over 35 are the dregs.

All that said,  I like Jon,  for I believe he has matured and also has true feelings for Rachel.  We have not seen him pathetic (Pitiful Paul), controlling (Jerk Jesse), deluded (Trying Tarik), duplicitous (Tricky Ricky), or calculating (MAGA Michael). 

Regarding hospitality: My husband and I once visited Yugoslavian distant relatives of a colleague. They lived in a small apartment. But they welcomed us total strangers and offered us food and drink. A German family whose son my husband knew from school fed us and gave us "parting gifts" of wine. A Belgian family my husband asked directions of offered him snacks from their groceries as they drove him to his destination!

And I was brought up hearing "Mangia!" as a family mantra. 

IOW,  offering food and/or drink seems to me to be a rather universal expression of hospitality.

Conversely, though, it is the obligation of a guest not to take undue advantage. 

My experience has been those that have the least are usually the most generous, offering and encouraging guests to eat even if means less for them later on. 

• Love 13

I know I’m the minority here but I still have karine’s back over Paul, I actually had the experience of having a relationship 13 years ago with a person kinda like Paul(cuter and not the geeky part) and it was anything but pleasant, I learned real quick he had OCD and told him right off the back I don’t I am a clean person but I have 3 kids and poodle and my house is not gonna meet the white glove requirements... 

he agreed that he would do his best to NOT take it out on me but he did in every aspect, he arranged my closet so my clothes were color  coordinated every cologne bottle was lined up according to size etc... the typical OCD things...he had constant anxiety which drove me nuts it put me on eggshells to ride in his car Incase I spilt something I knew it would ruin the entire nights etc...

but then it also boil and over into control issues... I got told how a 30 year old woman should not drink beer, because I have kids and because it’s Tuesday or whatever the exscuse might be he had all these what I called “rules and regulations “ of how a relationship should be and how I should be...

i made a joke out of it as long as I could I’d tell him I didn’t read the handbook on how I should act which day of the week etc..

and then I eventually got to the point that I just rebelled, I came and went as I pleased did what I wanted stopped caring what he thought or said, he’d text me 50 times a night if I wasn’t home try to force me to talk to him. 

In my eyes we aren’t seeing the whole picture but I feel Paul has driven Karin’s to this place she sees he’s not capable of change, she’s done talking and she’s had enough... there’s not logic when dealing with someone like Paul, he sees the world in black and white there’s no gray area or any other way to be. Just his way and I think she’s figuring out that’s not gonna make her happy.  When your in that type of relationship it steals the happiness from you, they are a total buzz kill no matter what situation, they just got together he wants her to be as serious as if they’ve been married ten years... idk just my opinion 

Edited by Mainer
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

I cannot stand the slurry way Angela speaks. I live in Georgia and it is not the Southern accent that is annoying.  Like Paul, she leaves out entire syllables.  She says "Rlayshunship"  and I just keep "replan it" in my head.  It's not "romanic".  My doter, my shild. "I'm at my Brayin point." Right when she hit him what the hell did she say? I rewound it 3 times, it sounds like she said "Better get my Georgia Assface"

Closed captioning read: "You better get out of my Georgia-ass face." Okaaaaay.

• Love 12

I think it’s hilarious to think she even thought for a second he was gonna be faithful?? After a couple online messages?? Bam you better remove all the other girls put my picture on your phone and don’t touch another woman... I’m sure at that point he had no idea if he’d even meet her in person. She’s looking for a fight she likes the drama! Maybe she should bring him on Maury so she can scream and yell she loves it

I also wonder if Darcy and Jesse both have bipolar?? There so up and down

Oh and did anyone else notice Angela’s neck?? Ugh I was like how gross it looks like a ball sack all scrunched up in the middle

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't want to date this guy but I'd love it if he'd swing by my house every so often and tidy up...

I'm not a guy, but I do have a touch of OCD.  When would you like me to come over and coordinate your closet?

• Love 19
38 minutes ago, PeaceLily2 said:

Scary to think that Smoking Angry Angela is a CNA working in hospice.  

I overheard a nurse in a hospital chewing out a CNA once for reeking of cigarette smoke. Those hospice patients definitely do not deserve the 3rd hand exposure that I am sure is constantly wafting off of her. 

• Love 19
22 minutes ago, Carly13817 said:

My absolute favorite part of the episode, and probably of the season so far is Michael and Angela bringing up the BJ that Michael received prior to her visit to Nigeria while they were still communicating. Before the commercial break, I assumed that they were going to talk about his career, as they mentioned his "job". When the conversation continues after the commercial break, they are talking about a "bee-jee" that Michael received from a random girl at a club or wherever that Michael hid from Angela. LMFAO These two are awesome.

Besides which, I'm pretty sure he later said it never happened at all and he only said it "Because you know how she is, I just wanted to get it over with." Meaning, I think, he knew she'd never believe him so he just cut to the chase and confessed. Classic!

• Love 6

The most offensive aspect of Angela is her superior 'I own you' controlling attitude toward Michael.  Bossing him about, yelling and pointing fingers in his face like she has a right.

I'd rather he returned to the US and left her there.  He's nicer.

• Love 24
41 minutes ago, Dobian said:

They should put those words to the 80s song "Hang the DJ".  "Did the BJ Did the BJ Did the BJ...Did the BJ Did the BJ Did the BJ...Did the BJ Did the BJ Did the BJ...Did the BJ, Did the BJ".

The Smiths! Panic.... 

6 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

The most offensive aspect of Angela is her superior 'I own you' controlling attitude toward Michael.  Bossing him about, yelling and pointing fingers in his face like she has a right.

Amen. He might be scamming her to get here but he seems like such a nice guy overall. She not so nice. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I come from a Caribbean culture where you absolutely offer your guests food and drinks when they visit your home (you even offer to cook for them and are expected to do so if the offer is accepted), but I am still on Paul’s side. He was wrong to call her family thieves, but he was understandably upset about the loss of a week’s worth of food. He’s the only one who has money in the relationship and since it seems he not only paid for the apartment, the wedding, the reception, and all of Karine’s unicorn onesie needs, money is likely right. In my culture, I would never go into someone’s home and eat all they had...that is just rude.

He also wasn’t wearing a bullet proof vest - he was wearing a cooling vest. He wouldn’t shut up about it last season so I am surprised people missed that.

Karine is very irritating and I find myself not feeling bad for her or Paul. They had no business getting married.

Angela honestly expected a 30 year old man in another country to not get a little frisky with another woman in his town? “I did the BJ”...oh, Michael. I am going to have that printed on a shirt. Angela is abusive with anger issues. I half expected her to call Michael the n-word when they were arguing.

Yes.  There is a difference between offering food to a guest (I live in the USA and know that is the polite thing to do), versus cleaning out a week's worth of food.  Considering that all that food was most likely purchased with Paul's money, I understand why he would be upset.

• Love 13

We've got our new saying for the reverse side of our "Lord's Prayer" handbag!

Embroidered in a flowery script,  in scarlet:

"I Did the BJ"

(The T-shirt slogan is "It's All B.S." on the front; "Except Angelo's Pizza" on the back!)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, renatae said:

Closed captioning read: "You better get out of my Georgia-ass face." Okaaaaay.

That makes sense as she left out/swallowed the word "out"  so it sounded like You better get my Georgia ass face....she probably said you better get ahmy georgia ass face!

You mean the assface you want him to wipe? Or was that just your ass?  Then she slurs "He made me look like a fooooo" no honey you did that all by yourself.

• Love 10

I got my boyfriend into this show this season, and last night after this episode ended we decided to start watching Season 1 of "Before the 90 Days" (which I had already seen, but he hadn't) so he could see the background on some of the couples. It's weird to go back and see how sweet Kreeny was when she was recruiting Paul and how much better she looked then. And it's apparent that not only has Darcey lost weight in season two but she has done several things to her face since that season. Her style seems to have evolved, too, because she had all those blingy chokers and earrings in the first season. We also noted how often she referred to herself as "Mommy" in the third person (A LOT) during all the footage they shot before she left for Amsterdam. 

For those that care, the vest that Pole has on in this episode in season two is the cooling vest he proudly shows off in season one as he packs (but we also wondered if it was a bullet proof vest initially). 

Any bets on whether Kreeny is truly pregnant and having complications in the clinic scene? 

• Love 7

Jesse and his love of "free refills."

When Jesse and Darcy call each other "Babe" I can't help but think of The Office episode called "Dinner Party" in which Michael Scott and Jan say "Babe" in every sentence to each other.  Barf.

• Love 16
54 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

The Smiths! Panic.... 

Amen. He might be scamming her to get here but he seems like such a nice guy overall. She not so nice. 

I have to agree. And for the most part, he’s certainly acted like a nice boyfriend. He’s used affectionate words, is physically affectionate, introduced her to his loved ones, and seems to have tried to help her fit in. He even wants her to quit smoking which tells me he cares somewhat about her. But all she can do is yell, bully, and slap...just a mean woman. Even if he is using her to get into the US, she’s using him for regular sex or an ego boost...sounds like both are getting something out of this.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 14
48 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I'm not sure I'd say that he's nicer.  I think he just has a better way of controlling his anger.  I think he's a liar, a scam artist and a manipulator who will do anything to get into the US.

• Love 17

My husband and I lived in Algeria, back in 1980. Your talking about a man that drives his truck, with his dog in the front seat with him and his wife in the bed of the truck. We were walking in the town and went into a store with my my husband carrying my one year son. If looks could kill, I would be dead. I’m sure it hasn’t changed, with all the terrorist action going on. She might come home in a pine box because she is a Christian, and most of all she is a stripper. DON’T GO!

• Love 13

Oh and also, if you wanted to drive down a road that was a short cut,they would stop you with automatic machine guns. Someone assasinated the president, and that started fighting within the country. Thank God the company my husband worked for flew all the expatriates home. Never been so happy in my life.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CousinOliver said:

Also, Jon, when you're dating two married women who are in open relationships too, that's usually called the Lifestyle in the US.  If monogamy is not appealing to you, be straight with Rachel; stay single or find a lady in the LS   If it's just a matter of being young and finding it where you can, but monogamy is your preference, carry on.  

Yes I agree. Me being me (not having experienced exploitative sex or anything like that- thank goodness), a guy offering a woman a ride home and her giving him a blow job as a “thank you” sounds to me like “they were digging each other, he offered to drive her home to make a move and she was into it and they hooked up.” The whole ride was just a ruse. But of course there are people that are exploited sexually- given Michael and his “it happened so fast” (that makes no sense), I’m guessing it was the former. He offered the woman a ride hoping they would hook up. 

I am thinking Jon was just going through a phase. But Rachel cannot expect sexual fidelity from someone she hasn’t met unless it was an arranged marriage engagement (from the start) and both agreed as a condition of the arrangement they would be celibate. 

• Love 2

Rachel & Jon:  Sorry honey, the system isn't trying to keep two people in love away from each other; it's simply trying to prevent more violent men from coming to our country.  Your FIANCE did this.  And you traveled there knowing full well he had been rejected.  You choose to continue a relationship that would essentially require you to live in England, which you know you can't do.  And you subjected your tiny baby to a new "da da" (and there's no way Lucy wasn't being coached that he is her "da da." ).  Luckily tiny baby will forget.  

Paul & Karine:  This idiot is just *now* dumping him?  And I think Paul is just now realizing he's just the wallet for not only Karine but also her family.  I guess next week's visit to the clinic will reveal the pregnancy?  Or is she getting an abortion?  It's really hard for me to feel sorry in the least for Karine.  

Ricky & Ximena:  Like Pao, Ximena is auditioning for a telenovela, no?  She can't seriously be that in love with Ricky?  

Michael & Angela:  I agree with others -- she must be going through major nicotine withdrawal.  And for some reason, I do find Michael absolutely adorable.  

Darcy & Jesse:  Darcy is actually doing hand signals of her love for him while he's looking at her like, okay, you can leave now.  But I'm so glad that these two idiots will continue the relationship for the TLC paycheck.  Well, I think *Jesse* is doing it for the paycheck.  I totally believe Darcy thinks she is in love with Jesse.  She'll take whatever crumb she can from him.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 16
24 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

When Jesse and Darcy call each other "Babe" I can't help but think of The Office episode called "Dinner Party" in which Michael Scott and Jan say "Babe" in every sentence to each other.  Barf.

THANK YOU!  I knew it was reminding me of something.

• Love 3

To me it's a big red flag if everyone on Jon's side is warning Rachael about HIM. Seems like after the 57th warning this episode she might have started to catch on just a wee little bit. Until a few minutes later the fairy tale kicked back in and it became "unfair" that they live on different continents. 

Lets see how that fairy tale is going 5 years from now and a dozen mistresses later on a garbage sorter's income. Not knocking garbage sorters because we need them, but the prince charmings of the world are generally not cast in that role. 

• Love 13
13 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

Ricky:  There was NO reason to "come clean."  I hope Ximena kicks him to the curb.  She seems like a nice girl who deserves better.

Actually, if they are *really* in a relationship, she'd end up seeing the footage anyway so he realy would need to come clean.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, iwasish said:

he has doubts about her motives

*He* has doubts about *her* motives?!  I think their "romance" is a transaction where each party is getting or hopes to get  exactly what s/he wants from the other.  I respect  the wily waif more because she is motivated by survival; Torgo just wants to get into her pants.  And if he's ready to sacrifice his daughter's interests, his brother's respect, what I anticipate will be the scorn of his friends, the burden of responsibility of her welfare for ten years, then he's welcome to it.  If she's deceiving him, it's because he wants to be deceived.  He wants to believe that she loves his chubby ass and his obnoxious family (what she's met of it).  He's delusional; she's hyper-realistic.

She wants a better life.  He wants to get laid.  Withholding sex is her only weapon at this point and if she loses it, he's not going to marry her.  She better keep her legs closed.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I'm now convinced that vest is also there to comfort him during storms. 

The only way to know for sure is to watch the show and wait for a good loud clap of thunder, and then see if he runs rapidly indoors and attempts to hide underneath the couch or other bulky piece of furniture.

If he can't run indoors, he will zig-zag or go in a serpentine pattern.

You totally nailed this.  Game, set, match.  Kadooz. <choking on my coffee>

• Love 8
9 hours ago, millennium said:

I started to become very annoyed by Rachel's tic-like wiping away of every tear with her thumbs and fingers.  Doesn't she have a tissue or something?

YES!  I wonder if we could raise enough money to bribe her to stop doing that--and then she *always* looks down to see what she's wiped off.  She doesn't wear much makeup, so I don't think she's checking to see if her mascara is smeared.  I think she's looking for eye boogers.

And Rachel wants us all to know that it's unfair.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, iwasish said:

Who were all these women who found Jon attractive? I don’t see it, he strikes me as slow witted and  boring. Maybe he’s well endowed and knows how to use it ?

Given his height, anything down there is going to look really big proportionally.

• Love 9