Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LocalGovt said:

What if they tell you they need $$ for a specific purpose, and you believe that the money you give them is going to that purpose?

Makes no difference, except that now you know the recipient is a liar.  But if you give someone a gift, it's theirs, no longer yours.  If you *loan* someone money for a specific purpose and they use it for something else, that's different.  Then it's still your money, and you should ask for it back.  But a gift?  Nah--that's theirs.

• Love 2

Hi guys, long-time reader first-time poster here. Wanted to share a video I put together with highlights from the season so far. 

As for the discussion about Ricky spending money on Ximena, I think she’s at least doing a good job of pretending to be interested in him (if she isn’t, I could see her being genuinely interested as well, hard to tell). I can see more of a connection between them, than say, Tarik & Hazel. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mothra said:

The fact is, though, that he's fallen in love with her (accepting his definition of "love") as she is.  Her aim is to get to the US and have a better life.  If he is willing to take her as she is, why would she want to complicate matters by adding a layer of pretense?  All she has to do is restrain herself around Mongo, and she'll be fine.  If she learns to love him, that's great, but even an arranged marriage wouldn't require pretending to love someone you've just met.  Even people who marry when they're madly in love/lust learn more about each other after they've been married a while, things that either deepen affection or lead to divorce.

Do you think he really loves her?  I don't.

I think he thinks he does. But he says he has doubts about her motives  and he doesn’t want to just be a meal ticket to the US for her.  

He isn’t all that annoyed with Dean, and he clearly stated that he didn’t know why Hazel would be upset about the questions about her ex, if it didn’t strike a nerve with her.

i don’t think  he will marry her  if she continues to refuse to sleep with him.

3 minutes ago, iwasish said:

i don’t think  he will marry her  if she continues to refuse to sleep with him.

100% agree. That's going to be the point of contention between them.

She clearly likes him enough to accept him and make a life with him.

To me, it's all very reminiscent of Alla and Matt, which I had no problem with just like I have no problem with Hazel's intentions.

5 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

No he doesn't love her. Like alot of the Americans on this show he wants to own her.   

He says he does in order to justify that he wants to bang her. But he wants to believe that she truly loves him, he certainly doesn’t want to be a means to an end ..... yet he is insecure enough that he wants that sense of obligation from her, in case “love”’ isn’t enough, the gratitude and obligation for him rescuing her will tie her to him.

I seriously love catching up with the show on this forum, y’all got me hee-hawin’ louder than Angela over here! I’m loving the nicknames!

Sweet Baby Jesus, how many women is Ricky sending cash to? He needs to just shut the hell up, if he’s dumb enough to send money to random chicks online then why split hairs on how they’re spending it. If he’s so concerned about the misuse of his funds he needs to be worried about Melissa, I’m sure she’s one who’s spending his money on plastic surgery. Other Girl Who’s Name I Cant Spell had a pretty routine nasal surgery. Big flipping deal if her surgeon cleaned up her profile while he was at it. Melissa looks like a blow-up doll, is he stupid enough to think those boobies are real? Somebody paid for those things and I bet it wasn’t Melissa. On another note, if he proposes to #2 with a ring he bought for the woman whose name he accidentally called her, I will fly to the tell-all and personally help her kick his ass when she finds out.

Darcey and Jesse are ridiculous, spoiled babies. Why did he feel it necessary to keep mentioning that it was a Loubitan shoe he was “assaulted” with. Imagine how offended he’d have been if it’d  been a Payless BOGO special! Jackass.

Is it just me or is Angela’s hair getting green? And it’s so endearing to bray at your beloved about whether or not he’s “masterbatin’ to them  Instergram wimmin” in the town market square.

I thought Jon’s proposal was really sweet. 

Edited by Marilee
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Paul and Karine:

From what I know, in Latin, Central, and South American cultures, guests in your home are offered, and entitled to, your food. It is considered bad manners NOT to allow them anything they may want, even if that means they eat the last crumb you have. OTOH, they'd be expected to reciprocate when you are a guest in THEIR home. My ex is Puerto Rican, and I admit I had a hard time with this (especially when we first got together and had very little money). He had a nephew that knew exactly when we ate dinner, and he just "happened" to be in the neighborhood and stopped by every.single.night. - at dinner time! The way I was brought up, that was rude. The way my husband was raised, that was perfectly okay. I'd like to say I got over it, but it always bugged me. The best I could manage was to stop complaining about it.

Very few of these Americans bother to learn about the cultures of their intendeds. Angela is a prime example. Paul is a selfish, insensitive SOB.

• Love 14

Who the heck is dressing Tarik. Does he not realize how stupid he appears? Black fishnet over a wifebeater? Ewww!!!!

On 9/12/2018 at 1:18 PM, MrFluffy said:

Ximena also seems a class act who knows what she's doing. If they both fulfill each other's needs, why not? She's intelligent and would probably make a good stepmother and kind wife. And kudos to Ricky for his Spanish skills.

I like her as well, and I was insulted by Ricky questioning a nose job. It's okay for Melissa to have a fake butt and breast and hair, but a nose job...? God forbid!

• Love 3

Yes it's a cultural thing. I was married to a latino and every time we went to his family's I told him they always force food and drink on me. Of course they didn't but that's what it felt like to me. They bring the drinks out to you right after you get there and then I would be sitting there holding an unopened drink the entire time because I wasn't thirsty.

On the other hand they probably thought I was a bitch because I didn't offer anything when they came to our house but we don't typically do that in the US.

• Love 4

I was hoping that Melissa and Ximena were roommates are were doing a nice job on Ricky. No, she did not have to know about Melissa but at some point it would come up. Especially if she meets Ricky's kids and they ask about 'Melissa'. No, no one wants to be #2 on the list. And it was wrong of Ricky to do so. What he should have done was gone home and *then* chatted her up on the Colombia Cupid site. She also took money from him to probably pay for her plastic surgery. What she did with that cash was her business, but if push comes to shove, he can sue her for it to be returned.

It was wrong of Paul to treat Karine's family like thieves. However, her family knows that Paul is not wealthy, Karine has no income, and the expenses add up. A simple sandwich and cookies or whatever would have been fine. Karine has known what Paul has been like all along and still chose to marry him. Suck it up sweetheart. He's the price of life in America.

Angela, you were quite vulgar with Michael. You may have also gotten yourself arrested in Nigeria and you'd have more worms in your can than you do. There is no true love with you two. You are abusive and abrasive and rude. Michael may seem more mild-mannered, but his goal is on the prize to get to the US.

Don't know enough about Marta and her Algerian dude - however, when he starts to tell you what to do, the red flags do come up. Watch where ya goes.  Stay in the US, take care of your kids, ease yourself out of the exotic dance job, go to school and get some skills and then find a better dude. Funny that none of the love interests will meet someone halfway.

Rachel, you are in a two week fantasy with Jon. You really don't know him at all. And he has not been sick, or angry, or anything. Just on his best behavior. Listen to his friends. And it's hardly unfair that you have to go home.  Both you and Jon have a lot of hurdles to get past before there is any happy ending - at least for now. True love has nothing to do with need. Both you and Jon need to deal with immigration lawyers and various consulates and embassies if you have any plans to get together.  Both of you are not in a really good place right now to bring anything to a relationship. Once you get bored of Jon and vice versa, it will end.

Jesse, stay in Amsterdam and move on and let Darcey also move on. Both of you will not have a happy ending with each other.

• Love 23

Frozendiva, you just brought up a good point, these people are so quick to hop, skip and jump on a plane and fly all over the world to meet their "true love" but that is so scary to me! At least here in the US you are on your own home turf, if you act a fool, yeah, there's consequences, but you are on your own soil, so to speak. On the other hand, going to say Lagos Nigeria and acting a fool the way Angela did is very reckless and dangerous. Jails and/or prisons abroad are different than here!

You can't just go to another part of the world and act all entitled like here at home. SMH these people are just plum crazy!

• Love 19
11 hours ago, Deafening Roar said:

Michael & Angela: Angela, go home. Take whatever you want, the MAGA hat, your pride, Michael's balls on a silver platter, whatever, but just GO HOME.

Pol & Kreeny: I'm not making fun of him because he may have been born with some kind of issue, but when he runs, his legs don't bend??

Ricky & Ximena: I think once she weighs the options, she will stay with him. Coming to America is the whole point for these dumbass foreigners.

Darcey & Jesse: if only he truly was coming back to dump her but we all know their old song and dance, same shit, different day.

Marta & Dia: since they are so new, I'm just not invested enough to make any observations. They are culturally very different so we will all be onboard this trainwreck as usual.

Rachel & Jon: wahhhhhh Rachel is so whiny and she has a long road ahead with his record. I'm just glad we get to see baby Lucy, she's the highlight of the show ❤️

Tarik & Hazel: she doesn't love you Tarik, it appears she barely even likes you. Either take it or leave it, bud, that's about the best you're gonna get out of her.

LMAO at “his legs don’t bend”.

eta:  if Pole has a medical reason for not being able to bend his legs, it isn’t funny...... but the way Deafening said it did make me laugh. 

Edited by PeaceLily2
  • Love 10
On 9/12/2018 at 2:16 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

I agree the Nigerian dresses are so beautiful. I love them as well as the lovely a Japanese kimonos. That said I would feel that by wearing them, though I admire them, maybe offensive to some and considered cultural appropriation...it is a fine line. I doubt Angela has this foresight but just a thought.....

Good point. However with Angela, I think it would be perfectly okay if she dressed in the local garb since she's in that country. When in Rome...

Edited by Stacee
Posted in wrong episode
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Deafening Roar said:

Frozendiva, you just brought up a good point, these people are so quick to hop, skip and jump on a plane and fly all over the world to meet their "true love" but that is so scary to me! At least here in the US you are on your own home turf, if you act a fool, yeah, there's consequences, but you are on your own soil, so to speak. On the other hand, going to say Lagos Nigeria and acting a fool the way Angela did is very reckless and dangerous. Jails and/or prisons abroad are different than here!

You can't just go to another part of the world and act all entitled like here at home. SMH these people are just plum crazy!

I would hope that the various embassies/consulates would enclose a contact information sheet along with any visas you get to visit X country - where the nearest US Embassy is, how to get help if you find yourself needing any help. Or it is in your best interest to get some information. Most of the folks who are part of this show are not world travelers. Seems like a lot of them spend their life savings to meet a 'true love'. True love is rare and you have to work at it.  For a lot of them, this is their first time abroad. They are not savvy and most seem pretty clueless. Michael could easily bring Angela up on assault charges. Granted she is behaving in a stupid, selfish, and entitled manner, so he probably wouldn't. And he may have secrets that he wouldn't want coming out at this time. She would not want to have to deal with the Nigerian police and also various diplomatic issues.

Few of these folks' stories seem to be about true love. More like power over another.  You hold the visa cards. However, you are also signing away 10 years of your life looking after this person, so you must choose to do so wisely.

Rachel is lucky that Jon is British and there aren't as many hurdles to overcome culturally. He has to deal with his criminal record and she has to see if she can move to the UK. Jobs are hard to find, and she doesn't seem highly skilled. She also shares custody of another child with her ex-husband. It's too bad that the universe is keeping them apart. The universe knows what it is doing. Maybe it is sending her warning signals to slow down. Jon kept his open relationships with other women from her. What else is he keeping?

Paul and Karine are semi-doomed unless they both learn a language in which to communicate. The translator app will not keep this alive. Karine is young and immature. Paul is immature. Surprised that he was allowed to travel to Brazil with his criminal record. Ah well.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

And Rachel please, the gov't isn't keeping you apart, Jon's criminal past is. 

Yes. His criminal past isn’t even a non violent crime (like drug possession or tax evasion), he hurt another person. Imo crimes against people are another level compared to a property crime. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Deafening Roar said:

Pol & Kreeny: I'm not making fun of him because he may have been born with some kind of issue, but when he runs, his legs don't bend??

I was going to say that when he runs, it looks like he’s wearing cement shoes. He doesn’t pick his feet up at all. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kangatush said:

My new go to to pick a fight is to follow someone while bleating, "fala".  

I don't think feeding guests is a cultural thing, it's a good manners thing, at least to me.  But I also understand bitching to your wife afterwards since neither of you are currently earning any money.  She's way too immature to be a wife and/or mother, and he's a weird, hairy, stress ball.  Just a bad match.

Thank you so very much for this.

"FALEEEEEEEE"

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Jesse was probably amazed at the size of the supermarkets/grocery stores. And the food selection available. Plus the large fridge sizes here in North America.

And the jumbo-sized whine-fests.  Free refils on those.

Anyone else hear that Darcey wants him to get a work visa, not a K1 - because that would be less, um, details?

So, to recap: (a) they meet; (b) she visits; (c) he visits; (d) at some point he figures out that she can't sponsor him with a K1; (e) COMPLETELY UNRELATEDLY he's an asshole and won' t propose though she thought he might.    

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Rt66vintage said:

Yes, this! The way she curls her lip & thrusts her "1-2-3 lies" fingers at him, snarling like an animal, over what!? Admit it, Ang, you really can't stand it that you're way too old for him, he prefers black women and you're far too insecure. No need to get nasty mean about it.

Agree

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Deafening Roar said:

Ever watched Locked up abroad? Fascinating and frightening.

• Love 8