Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

I saved a couple of my tests, at first. After the baby was born I threw them away, didn't know why I thought I needed them 

The ones for my misscarige I threw after a couple of weeks, it was too hard for me to see them

I don't find the keeping of those thing very weird

• Love 5

I think they just picked Asa, because it's a boys name from the bible and maybe because it's starts with A.

It doesn't surprise me that people keep pregnancy tests for a few hours or days after they've been used. I do think it's odd that people keep the tests longer than a week. Isn't cotton on the end of stick and shouldn't that mold/decay, etc. after a while?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

She's pulling shit out of her fluffy brain. As far as I know, two to three months in is when you start to be able to see the sex without lab tests. 

That's why I think they named the heavy period after the governor, Asa Hutchinson.

He was much in the news at the time for his enthusiastic touting-around-the-nation of Arkansas's new abortion bill -- which is unique in having a clause that allows it to immediately shift to a complete ban the instant Roe v. Wade is overturned. And while I know that their cult likes the idea of a boy as first kid, I really wonder whether first-kid and world-champion drama queen Lauren would be terribly devoted to that idea.

What I do know is that their cult and both their families are very very devoted to anti-abortion politics and trying to build their own influence and prestige by rubbing hard up against the leading politicians in that arena. So being able to suck up to the local anti-abortion-powers-that-be would be right down their street.

By naming her lost "boy" Asa and pointing to the date of his tragic loss, she can eternally demonstrate that, even in the midst of her own overwhelming grief, she was so devoted to their most vital cause that she rallied from her personal tragedy to honor what was going on in history at just that moment. The super-champion Asa Hutchinson -- who'll go down in history and sit beside Christ in glory for his determination to save all the babies who would otherwise be lost to the heathen hordes. 

They wouldn't say that on TeeVee, of course, because they know by now to keep that kind of thing quiet when showing off for the heathen hordes. But in their own circles, she's now got a way to bring up her miscarriage forever and use it not just to get sympathy but to demonstrate that she's a heroic figure because of what she remained conscious of even in the time of her own personal grief. Doing that seems very very Lauren to me, at least. 

BINGO!!!!!!!!!! x 1,000

• Love 2

I still have mine in my sock drawer 😒  i’m sentimental. Something about remembering how you first found out you’re pregnant, I can’t put it in the trash! 

Ps.  I don’t post photos of them online, and the only person who knows about it as my husband! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I admit I know nothing about this being childfree, and being raised by an Ob/Gyn I have a very clinical view of pregnancy. 

Saving positive pregnancy tests IS A THING now! I asked my very non fundy mainstream friends and they saved them! I was shocked. But they aren’t on display or anything.....shock. Shock. 

So Lauren saving hers isn’t odd, for the record I didn’t think the photo was odd, but the rest of it, she is just too much. 

I'm not very educated in this area. How do people get the pee smell off of them? I've only ever used dollar store pregnancy tests and those ones were very stinky. I learned my lesson after the first one and tossed the second one in a bin far away from my apartment.

The lad wanted me to do one of the fancy digital tests to check and I told him only if he went to the store and bought it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think they rinse them off with a lot of water.  However, despite the fact that we buy pregnancy tests by the case, I truly don't know since we don't save them in my office.  I will say that many patients who have positive tests do either want to take the stick home or take a picture of it.  We put the stick in a ziplock bag with a medical hazard warning sign on it to go.  Very festive.

You should get some bow stickers or something to slap on the bag. Put some balloons on there. 🎈🎈🎈

• LOL 8
On 10/16/2019 at 10:42 PM, allonsyalice said:

But asa’s arbitrarily assigned sex is male. The cake topper said Big Brother Asa. It’s.....confusing. 

The gene that makes people physically male, other than in the chromosome XY vs XX way, doesn't even activate until week 6-8. So if you want to call Asa anything at 5 weeks, it should be she.

• Useful 3
  • Love 19
1 minute ago, satrunrose said:

The gene that makes people physically male, other than in the chromosome XY vs XX way, doesn't even activate until week 6-8. So if you want to call Asa anything at 5 weeks, it should be she.

Unfortunately, I don't think Lauren knows that.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, satrunrose said:

Then again, it the child was actually born, it could grow up to identify male (or female) regardless of the chromosomes. Which would really throw a cog into their fundie machinery. But these days sometimes it feels as though those pronouns are getting to be less and less pertinent in any case.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
On 10/17/2019 at 7:25 PM, Sew Sumi said:

E. Saying you're crying every day to garner sympathy.

F. Saying you're crying every day to garner sympathy AND others actually crying because they're having intense feelings that they want to kick this girl because of her limp grasp on reality.

• Love 5
On 10/19/2019 at 8:37 AM, satrunrose said:

My husband and I are going through IVF. We have frozen embryos, and because of genetic testing, we know the gender of each. They definitely aren’t 6-8 week old fetuses! I don’t think Lauren KNEW the gender, just stating that gender is definitely determined very, very early on!

• Useful 8
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

You're talking apples and oranges in this case.  There is the genotype, the chromosomes that we all carry from the moment of conception.  That is what they look at when it comes to determining the gender in an embryo.

Saturnrose, however, is talking about the phenotype, the external expression of the chromosomes.  Embryos do not develop physical genitalia until well after conception.  At 5 weeks, Lauren's embryo may have been a male, but there would be no way to know that unless the chromosomes were tested which I doubt happened.

When an egg is fertilized and an embryo starts to develop, there are groups of cells which have the potential to develop into either male or female genitals.  Embryos that contain a Y chromosome will begin to produce testosterone and this will cause male genitalia to form.  If there is no Y chromosome, no testosterone is produced and the embryo develops female genitalia.  So, female parts are sort of the default sex.

There is a condition called testicular feminization.  In it, the embryo has a Y chromosome and produces testosterone, but the cells lack testosterone receptors so they cannot use the testosterone to develop into males.  Therefore, the person with TF would be genetically male, but, at birth, would appear to be a female.  As she grows, she would develop female breasts and hips, but wouldn't get pubic or underarm hair as those require testosterone.  Usually, the person with TF is raised as a female and nobody even knows about it until she reaches puberty and doesn't menstruate.  Then, it is discovered that she doesn't have a uterus or vagina (some will have a tiny depression in the area but not a true vagina).  At that point, the gonads, which are testes, could still be in the inguinal canal in the groin or in the abdomen and they need to be removed because there is a high risk of cancer.  The woman with TF is sterile, of course.  Also, even if given high doses of testosterone, due to the lack of receptors, she would not respond, so she will be a phenotypic female but a genotypic male forever.

Then I misunderstood. I read the original most as gender wasn’t determined until 6-8 weeks, which isn’t the case. I don’t believe Lauren had the tissue tested and even said I didn’t think she knew the gender. I was simply stating that gender is determined long before 6-8 weeks. While I absolutely don’t think Lauren had the tissue tested or knew the gender for certain, it is possible that she COULD have. 

• Love 4

My sister lost two pregnancies. With both she was sent for a D & C. Do we know if Lauren miscarried at home? It seems unlikely she would collect the tissue and bring it somewhere to be tested. They did not test my sister's miscarriages for gender, they did not offer and she didn't ask.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

My sister lost two pregnancies. With both she was sent for a D & C. Do we know if Lauren miscarried at home? It seems unlikely she would collect the tissue and bring it somewhere to be tested. They did not test my sister's miscarriages for gender, they did not offer and she didn't ask.

Lauren was at home. Her mother was also there and probably cued her in to what was happening.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Lauren was only 5 weeks pregnant when she miscarried.  At that point, the pregnancy is still so small, it generally passes without any problem and a D&C is not needed.  After around 8 weeks, the placenta often doesn't detach completely from the uterine wall and part remains behind and a D&C is more likely to be needed.

It is not routine to send the tissue for chromosomal analysis.  It is usually only done in cases where the woman has had multiple miscarriages or there is a family history of a genetic abnormality.

I don't think Lauren needed a D&C although I am sure she went somewhere, maybe just the ER for blood work and an ultrasound.   No way was she going to simply let things happen on their own without getting a medical professional to confirm the loss as well as to garner as much sympathy as possible.  If, while in the ER, she insisted that she was too weak to walk to the rest room and forced Joe to carry her; the staff would've been highly entertained.  Also, by the time the bleeding starts in a miscarriage, it has been a while since the tissue was alive and it may well have deteriorated so much that chromosomes are not able to be evaluated although new PCR techniques help a lot.

• Useful 11
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

So, she made this entire “Asa the Big Brother” scenario up in her head and has now convinced herself and everyone around her that it’s reality.

That’s not scary at all. 🙄

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.  I think she couldn't stand not receiving maximal attention and, by assigning a name and gender to the loss, she is able to milk it for all she's worth.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

So, she made this entire “Asa the Big Brother” scenario up in her head and has now convinced herself and everyone around her that it’s reality.

That’s not scary at all. 🙄

There's a old Lifetime movie with Rita Wilson. I can't remember the whys, or if it was sad or tragic, but it's close to what you described in your post. The biggest difference is her family went along with what they knew wasn't true.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

It grates. Especially 'gender reveals' Yeah, the ultrasound can really tell if your fetus is going to be a Girly Girl or a Diesel Dyke.

I agree. I know the Duggars won’t acknowledge the difference between sex and gender but we can and should.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's a old Lifetime movie with Rita Wilson. I can't remember the whys, or if it was sad or tragic, but it's close to what you described in your post. The biggest difference is her family went along with what they knew wasn't true.

Invisible Child. It's one of my favorites. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

in reference to lauren stating that 'asa' was a boy.....i miscarried at ten weeks and had the d/c. i felt in my gut that my baby was a girl so i named her ashley (very popular name at the time). i didnt have a ceremony or make a big deal about it...it was just for me to grieve and remember that i had a child waiting in heaven for me.

i dont think its that uncommon to name your lost baby but i do thing the extent lauren is taking it to is out of the ordinary.

• Love 14

Im worried for the baby she's currently pregnant with. She'll be second to this miscarriage for her entire life. There was this post on reddit's am i the asshole that was, essentially, a parent outlining how they told their daughter that she'll never outrank her deceased older sibling in life UNLESS she went to school and cured the type of sickness her older brother died of. 

and like, yes, you're the asshole

but also im worried on some level this will be Lauren, always comparing her daughter who is here and alive to an early stages miscarriage. 

I feel bad for the baby.

• Love 4

On one hand Lauren will be sooo tired from instructing Siah how to hold the baby, and change the baby, and bring her the baby to feed, and putting on pretty clothes that she won't have time to compare this baby to Asa. 

And on the other hand, she will have too much time in between ordering Siah around and will constantly think about Asa. 

Siah is doomed. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

On one hand Lauren will be sooo tired from instructing Siah how to hold the baby, and change the baby, and bring her the baby to feed, and putting on pretty clothes that she won't have time to compare this baby to Asa. 

And on the other hand, she will have too much time in between ordering Siah around and will constantly think about Asa. 

Siah is doomed. 

He's the most likely to vanish of all the boys.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Im worried for the baby she's currently pregnant with. She'll be second to this miscarriage for her entire life. There was this post on reddit's am i the asshole that was, essentially, a parent outlining how they told their daughter that she'll never outrank her deceased older sibling in life UNLESS she went to school and cured the type of sickness her older brother died of. 

and like, yes, you're the asshole

but also im worried on some level this will be Lauren, always comparing her daughter who is here and alive to an early stages miscarriage. 

I feel bad for the baby.

I do too. She’s the first born but she’ll always be second to Asa. Lauren will make sure of that. I don’t think she’ll let her daughter forget it for a second. 

• Love 4

Most people I know don't name them.

One person who did name them was (surprise) Jill R.  I was surprised to learn she had one before Nurie. And Nurie seems to be Jill's favorite. So maybe there's hope for Lauren's little girl as well. 

• Love 6

I had a miscarriage at 17 weeks that was very traumatic but I was eventually able to put it into perspective.  I wouldn't have had my lovely second daughter otherwise, and as I learned afterwards, something was probably seriously wrong with the fetus in the first place.  The only reminder of that event was a dress I had bought for the pregnancy, and it probably took me 15 years before I could give it away.

• Love 10

I watched an old episode of Intervention recently & thought of Lauren right away.  The drug addicted girl started using drugs when she couldnt handle being constantly compared to & reminded of her older sister who was unfortunately kidnapped & killed 5 years prior to the addicted girls birth.  The mother just couldn't let go of the deceased daughter & believed that God gave her the addicted daughter to replace the dead one.  Even though the addicted daughter was her mom's favorite (there was another daughter) she just couldn't handle it & turned to drugs. 

On 10/21/2019 at 3:29 PM, doodlebug said:

You're talking apples and oranges in this case.  There is the genotype, the chromosomes that we all carry from the moment of conception.  That is what they look at when it comes to determining the gender in an embryo.

Saturnrose, however, is talking about the phenotype, the external expression of the chromosomes.  Embryos do not develop physical genitalia until well after conception.  At 5 weeks, Lauren's embryo may have been a male, but there would be no way to know that unless the chromosomes were tested which I doubt happened.

When an egg is fertilized and an embryo starts to develop, there are groups of cells which have the potential to develop into either male or female genitals.  Embryos that contain a Y chromosome will begin to produce testosterone and this will cause male genitalia to form.  If there is no Y chromosome, no testosterone is produced and the embryo develops female genitalia.  So, female parts are sort of the default sex.

There is a condition called testicular feminization.  In it, the embryo has a Y chromosome and produces testosterone, but the cells lack testosterone receptors so they cannot use the testosterone to develop into males.  Therefore, the person with TF would be genetically male, but, at birth, would appear to be a female.  As she grows, she would develop female breasts and hips, but wouldn't get pubic or underarm hair as those require testosterone.  Usually, the person with TF is raised as a female and nobody even knows about it until she reaches puberty and doesn't menstruate.  Then, it is discovered that she doesn't have a uterus or vagina (some will have a tiny depression in the area but not a true vagina).  At that point, the gonads, which are testes, could still be in the inguinal canal in the groin or in the abdomen and they need to be removed because there is a high risk of cancer.  The woman with TF is sterile, of course.  Also, even if given high doses of testosterone, due to the lack of receptors, she would not respond, so she will be a phenotypic female but a genotypic male forever.

Thank you @doodlebug.  I always enjoy your explanations - informative and interesting.  Would the condition you describe above be the "intersex"?  Maybe I have watched too much Oprah!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

Next episode: Lauren talks about her miscarriage and depression......boy, that girl sure is the life of the party. She came to Josiah with emotional issues if you ask me. You could see right away that Lauren was a drama queen; took lots of deep breaths and never really smiled. Josiah was and is a clueless guy about women. The bad thing about all of those people is that they marry someone when they are all still on their company behavior. You don't get to know your spouse after the wedding. Josiah surely must have some buyers remorse stored up inside himself even though he's not permitted to consciously  acknowledge it....it's there underneath it all. Lauren will never be truly happy with anyone or anything because she is not happy inside herself.

And I might add - she was 19 when she married.  She didn't have time to become happy with herself.  And now, not only will she be unlikely to ever cement an image of herself other than mommy to however many babies she has, she's going to drag down Siah with her.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Thank you @doodlebug.  I always enjoy your explanations - informative and interesting.  Would the condition you describe above be the "intersex"?  Maybe I have watched too much Oprah!!

Generally "intersex" is when there's not quite enough testosterone to create a "normal" male appearance and yet enough to change things so that there's also not quite a "normal" female appearance.  With androgen insensitivity, it doesn't matter if there's a ton of testosterone; the body is "immune" to its effects.

(Do I have this right, @doodlebug?)

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, Fosca said:

Generally "intersex" is when there's not quite enough testosterone to create a "normal" male appearance and yet enough to change things so that there's also not quite a "normal" female appearance.  With androgen insensitivity, it doesn't matter if there's a ton of testosterone; the body is "immune" to its effects.

(Do I have this right, @doodlebug?)

There are a lot of things that could be called 'intersex'.  Essentially, it is a sort of birth defect where the genitals do not develop properly and so it can actually be difficult to tell the baby's gender at least at first because perhaps some parts look like boy parts while others look like girl stuff or because the genitalia aren't classically male or female.  This can occur due to various hormone problems including malfunctions of the adrenal glands and can also occur when there is chromosomal mosaicism involving the sex chromosomes.  Mosaicism occurs when some of the cells get one set and the rest get a different one and usually occurs when the chromosomes are dividing as the egg develops.  So, some of the cells could be XY while others might've lost the Y and are just X which would be female.  When a baby is born with this situation whatever the cause, we call it ambiguous genitalia and try to figure out what happened before assigning gender to the baby.  Certain cases are better raised as females, others as males.

Testicular feminization is usually not thought of as intersex because the genitalia are definitely female, there is no ambiguity.  As I said, even with testosterone injections, someone with TF is incapable of developing any male primary or secondary sex traits.

• Useful 11
  • Love 2