Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

3 hours ago, herbz said:

Think he gets a bit of an unfair rap. I've only heard really lovely things about the pair of them from multiple people entrenched in the figure skating world tbh, but he does have a bit of a unfortunate case of douche face. 

His sour grapes comments anytime he doesn't win (especially in Sochi) speak for themselves and make his rap perfectly fair.

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

I think Scott Moir can be a jerk, but Patrick Chan really puts him to shame on that front.

Moir may be a whiner and a poor loser, but Chan really is in a class by himself.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

This seems like a response to my comment. One thing to point out is that I'm sure Tessa and Scott didn't do all of the editing for their show. The portrayal of Meryl and Charlie was likely left up to producers, not Tessa and Scott. Over the course of several episodes, Meryl was shown for maybe one minute. I think a lot was read into whether the producers were trying to suggest anything by judging Meryl's expression in the few clips she was shown, which IMO is reading a lot into very little. As you point out, Tessa and Scott did say complimentary things. I'm not sure what else they were expected to do. 

Ooh, have you seen it recently? It wasn't a huge theme or anything, but it was certainly there. Charlie got a different edit than Meryl did, with Tessa and Meryl's lack of friendship even getting a couple of comments. Like I said, there was some nonsense about Meryl possibly spying on their Olympic plans, and then some nonsense with Meryl being off on her own playing with a dog while Tessa socialized with some skaters while someone's commentary was played over the scene implying that Meryl was standoffish. It was hilarious and dumb, but at least a couple of truly amazing gifs of Meryl came out of it.

I'm well aware V/M weren't the ones editing. The edits in the show were exactly why I asked upthread if they pissed off the producers or something. No one came out smelling like a rose! I'm wondering if Tessa/Scott regret doing it now.

• Love 1

Last night I was laughing because I saw two Ashley Wagner commercials.  One was a car ad I think and I can't remember the other one, I was so fixated on how horselike her face looked.  Those sponsors are probably so pissed, spent so much money on a loser.  Reminds me of Rio when there were so many Missy Franklin commercials after she had pretty much crapped out and barely qualified.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

Ooh, have you seen it recently? It wasn't a huge theme or anything, but it was certainly there. Charlie got a different edit than Meryl did, with Tessa and Meryl's lack of friendship even getting a couple of comments. Like I said, there was some nonsense about Meryl possibly spying on their Olympic plans, and then some nonsense with Meryl being off on her own playing with a dog while Tessa socialized with some skaters while someone's commentary was played over the scene implying that Meryl was standoffish. It was hilarious and dumb, but at least a couple of truly amazing gifs of Meryl came out of it.

I'm well aware V/M weren't the ones editing. The edits in the show were exactly why I asked upthread if they pissed off the producers or something. No one came out smelling like a rose! I'm wondering if Tessa/Scott regret doing it now.

Like I said, I watched it after being aware of the hype. I didn't see the Meryl slander others seemed too. That has become a theme though and I admit I tend not to agree much with Meryl diehards. 

2 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Love him or hate him, Adam Rippon is having the time of his life being here, and his excitement is so much fun to watch.  I hope he will skate well.

I enjoy outspoken athletes, so I appreciate Adam's soundbites. I hope he backs it up. 

• Love 3

I was actually wondering if USA figure skating was regretting Bradie over Ashley because it looks like Bradie is just not going to get the PCS needed to do anything. Even Ashley's disaster-skates get better PCS than Bradie's best and basically make up for a lot of the TES. (I know Bradie winning Nationals meant she had to go, but I wonder if domestic scoring really did her any favors. She is being shoved into a lower category than the other skaters and she might have to dig her way out of that in her future competitions. Max Aaron never got out of the "ice hockey skater" label, no matter how hard he tried.)

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Like I said, I watched it after being aware of the hype. I didn't see the Meryl slander others seemed too. That has become a theme though and I admit I tend not to agree much with Meryl diehards. 

Uhhhh, okay then. Ah well, at least the Meryl gifs were golden!

I haven't seen their Roxanne documentary, but I'm assuming V/M have learned a little from their last "documentary" experience. Perhaps it was a question of them not being able to control their image and producers not understanding what their audience expected? 

A little late but not too late, if you're watching in Canada, TSN5 is carrying this live.  The main CBC network will show this later, and if it's like it was yesterday, they won't be showing all of the skaters.  Right now Adam Ripon is on, and he's the third male skater, so there's still lots to see.

Oh, man, I don't have the nerves for this anymore. I need to go watch some Michelle Kwan Tosca to calm down.

ETA: good job, Adam.  Not sure it is a winner, but you did yourself proud.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 3

I'm so glad that Adam didn't splat. It was nice just watching the skating and not having to worry about quads that everyone's bodies aren't equipped to do.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 10
19 hours ago, SophiaD said:

I think I heard Tara say they'd only get 1-2 points for the quad instead of the triple.  From what I remember (from Katia Gordeeva's book), it's an extremely strenuous element that's really rough on the heart.  They may have played it safe to just get through the program.

Stupidest question ever. Why is the quad so strenuous on the heart? 

Adam was amazing! 

Just now, mehtotheworld said:

I haven't seen their Roxanne documentary, but I'm assuming V/M have learned a little from their last "documentary" experience. Perhaps it was a question of them not being able to control their image and producers not understanding what their audience expected? 

I heard (from a meet & greet, I think, don't remember) that they were supposed to be in the editing room for the show. But things were falling apart for them that season, so they left it up to the producers.

Adam, was sublime!

• Love 1

Did that feel like a robbery? I need to check my pockets, I feel like we've been robbed.

I would tell Adam he needs to change nationality to Russian to get some more points, but since he is a gay guy, that would be a simply terrible idea.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Vera said:

SC used to force them to participate at the WTT, something about not letting them do shows otherwise. V/M practice to peak at Worlds, so they can take some time off after. The WTT was a beast on Tessa's legs. 

Tessa's been mostly the one spearheading their comeback and the time before. There's a very weird misconception about V/M that Scott's the one in the driver's seat, but based of their interviews, Tessa's the one making the decisions! Scott just tends to speak for them more as Tessa is very reserved. She needs a script more.

Everone's who's met them has nothing but good things to say. Off the figure skating grapevine, back in 2008, while Tessa was recovering from her surgery, Scott was practicing in Canton. Initially, he was practicing with other skaters, but SC was using it as a way to test him with potential partners (Emily Samuelson was one of them). Scott found out and blew a fuse. Marina gave him sandbags to practice with after that, he refused to skate with anyone else. 

I have a lot of respect for V/M for sticking together then. Scott was the stronger partner then, visibly. I remember so many people saying that he should dump her and find someone else. Combined with her injuries, no one would have blamed him. But they stuck it out.

I remember this, lots of whispers coming out of Canton at the time. The skating world was in absolute raptures over Moir, he was a prodigy the likes of which ice dance hadn't seen in a long long time. Tessa had obvious potential, but it was a bit of a Gabby/Guillaume situation pre-2009. So when your partner is possibly going to be injured out of skating altogether, and very influential people are telling you you're Christopher Dean reincarnated and you need to find a new partner right now or not make it, and you're 19 years old- many people wouldn't have made that decision to refuse to skate with anyone else. This is why I can't ever agree with this portrayal of him as some kind of unsupportive jerk- he stood up to powerful people as a kid and risked his own career. Luckily it worked out for them, but it very easily could have ended for them both there.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 4

Thank you Adam!  That was truly beautiful to watch.  He seemed very focused, but very calm - sometimes I cringe when they seem to be wound up like a ten day clock and you can see them thinking too hard while they skate, but he was just lovely and relaxed.  

Ugh...that Kolyada music...and Hallelujah?  I don't need to hear that and Carmen ever ever ever ever again.  Ever.

• Love 2

What makes the Adam/Kolyada scoring worse is that I'm sure we're about to see inflated scores for Patrick based on the merits of exactly what Adam should have gotten credit for--the artistry. If you're going to reward quads fine, but then you can't ignore performance in one athlete and reward it in another. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, fan94 said:

Chan's winning the FS. Just wait and see. >.>

As a Canadian, I had a good laugh that his score was that high.  He's lucky he managed the quads at the beginning in decent condition.  

4 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

I'm giving a serious side eye to Adam Rippon being in 2nd place. Don't get it, to be perfectly frank. He should be ahead of Kolyada.

I don't know much about figure skating scoring, but I thought Adam's performance was much better than the Russian fellow and Chan fell twice...so how is he in 1st place?  I thought Adam's program was smooth, lyrical and captivating to watch

• Love 10