Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Will it be the same panel for the individual event?

Yes, same tech panel but different judges.

That will be interesting, especially with the PCS scores.

I'm not a huge fan of them, but I think P/C should have done the team. V/M and the Shibs will now get to iron out the issues this tech panel had with their elements. With a panel this harsh, this TE will be beneficial for those who skated.

C/L got a fall deduction on a lift they've been doing all season! They'll have to do something with that.

B/S's score was crap. That should have gone behind C/L imo.

why Canada is not subbing him out? They appear to be using only 1 substitution. 

If everyone is clean, Keegan places last. Since only five men are going the free, a bad Patrick placing last won't make a difference, but a good Patrick has the potential to place higher.

• Love 1

The more everyone ribs at Virtue and Moir the more I want to root for them :P They're the best skaters around! They can carry on for 2 more quads if they want just so I can see those edges. 

The Shibs absolutely won't lose bronze because they can't do sexy. Meryl and Charlie never pulled off sexy once in their entire careers, and just stopped trying altogether after the 2010 Tango. The Shibs could act Scheherazade and it would be fine. The Shibs might lose bronze because they don't skate with enough power, and because H/D have come on in leaps and bounds. And tbh, it's still on the Shibs' blades. If they go clean, this season has indicated that they will still be placed ahead.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

What are the odds of Patrick staying upright? He has always been known for falling while racking up points. Patrick’s biggest asset appears to be getting in 4 rotations before he falls. He’s also had a rough season and a rough short program. He should be very beatable here. 

I asked up thread, but does anyone know why Canada is not subbing him out? They appear to be using only 1 substitution. 

Their second guy, Keegan Messing, while extremely personable on the ice, isn’t in the same technical league as Patrick. According to the numbers in their Wiki profiles, Keegan’s best LP score this season is only slightly better than Patrick’s worst. Plus Patrick has the previous Olympic experience, and the judges do love to shower him with those PCS points. Since Canada has a legit shot at the gold, I can see them wanting a less-than-great Patrick since his scoring potential is higher.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, herbz said:

The more everyone ribs at Virtue and Moir the more I want to root for them :P They're the best skaters around! They can carry on for 2 more quads if they want just so I can see those edges. 

The Shibs absolutely won't lose bronze because they can't do sexy. Meryl and Charlie never pulled off sexy once in their entire careers, and just stopped trying altogether after the 2010 Tango. The Shibs could act Scheherazade and it would be fine. The Shibs might lose bronze because they don't skate with enough power, and because H/D have come on in leaps and bounds. And tbh, it's still on the Shibs' blades. If they go clean, this season has indicated that they will still be placed ahead.

I'm gonna still rag on Virtue and Moir but still hope they beat Papadakis/Cizeron. I can do both! ;-)

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Vera said:

Yes, same tech panel but different judges.

That will be interesting, especially with the PCS scores.

I'm not a huge fan of them, but I think P/C should have done the team. V/M and the Shibs will now get to iron out the issues this tech panel had with their elements. With a panel this harsh, this TE will be beneficial for those who skated.

C/L got a fall deduction on a lift they've been doing all season! They'll have to do something with that.

B/S's score was crap. That should have gone behind C/L imo.

If everyone is clean, Keegan places last. Since only five men are going the free, a bad Patrick placing last won't make a difference, but a good Patrick has the potential to place higher.

I was so confused by that lift deduction when it first came up. You'd think someone on a panel somewhere would've mentioned it before! This is why I'd prefer judging to be strict all season. Now they'll have to adjust choreography they could've worked on for months.

If the individual event has not been entirely predetermined, P/C have made a big error of judgement in not doing the team IMO. If they're not crediting Tessa Virtue's Choctaw, this tech panel could go to town with some of Gabby's turns in their step sequences, and now they won't know. 

I can't figure out why they'd go so easy on B/S after every other couple was scored very tightly. The immediate comparison skating after V/M did not help the impression either, and I thought that would be reflected. The Italians could've been potentially closer to bronze.

7 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

I'm gonna still rag on Virtue and Moir but still hope they beat Papadakis/Cizeron. I can do both! ;-)

A fair compromise! 

Edited by herbz
10 hours ago, fan94 said:

Yeah, especially because Evgenia's momentum is back, now.

Though really if she outshines what is currently an extremely weak ladies' field, I have no problem with that. Same for Zagi.

The longer Evgenia lasts at the top, the more she grows on me, tendency to mime her way through programs and all. Zagi, I'm not sure if she really is All That in a cosmic sense or she's just a girl in that golden year between her last growth spurt and Getting Hips and after this, it's all down hill. 

• Love 2

I fear that if the U.S. loses bronze, it will come down to Nathan's disaster. I like Adam fine, but I kind of feel like they should sub Nathan in again for the free. He would probably hit a few quads and rack up points, while, last I heard, Adam had pulled his quad entirely, which is going to limit his potential standing amongst the other men (especially if Kolyada pulls out a great performance).

I would love to see Rippon win this tonight, but Chanflation plus Chan's jump/fall credits probably make that improbable.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I don't think it would matter if they subbed him out. The other Canadian male figure skaters wouldn't bring any more points than Patrick, not to mention he gets inflated scores no matter what he does, so why not?

7 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

Their second guy, Keegan Messing, while extremely personable on the ice, isn’t in the same technical league as Patrick. According to the numbers in their Wiki profiles, Keegan’s best LP score this season is only slightly better than Patrick’s worst. Plus Patrick has the previous Olympic experience, and the judges do love to shower him with those PCS points. Since Canada has a legit shot at the gold, I can see them wanting a less-than-great Patrick since his scoring potential is higher.

Thanks for the answers! I guess Canada is not as confident about their gold as NBC is. They should still have a good shot at gold even if they fall apart in men’s. I guess there’s no need to “save” Patrick for the individual event as he would need several others to meltdown for him to get on the podium. Still, it seems rough to make a guy who is coming back from injury and who falls constantly skate 4 programs. 

• Love 2

Thanks for posting that link.  I watch figure skating once every four years so my first exposure to Medvedeva was last night.  The thing that stood out for me was how elegant Kim Yuna looked.  Medvedeva is good too, but I was so distracted by her constantly flailing arms.  Is that supposed to connote "artistry"?  It looks ridiculous.  It reminds me a lot of those stupid looking  "balance checks" that the gymnastics girls do on the balance beam.

• Love 6

Team Canada could do Team USA a real solid by subbing out Virtue and Moir for their second ranked dance team--get the Shibs into first to stay ahead of the Italians and in the medals. But, we'll have to depend on Adam and Mirai to deliver and not shennanigan-gimmes from rival countries. ;-)

Edited by MaKaM
39 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Here's a side-by-side of Evegenia's Olympic "world-record" SP compared to 2010 Yuna Kim's Olympic world-record SP. It's like night and day, and, I reiterate, I was never a Yuna fan.  

Kim Yuna 2010 vs EM Team 2018

I had to watch it twice because Yuna drew my full attention the first time.  Still stunning and a rare example of the judges awarding a complete program rather than favoring artistry or difficulty.  It also points out the weaknesses in Medvedeva's skating.  I'm sure she's fast to those in the audience but the recording makes her look very slow (even more apparent since Hamilton comments on the speed Yuna had going into her jumps) and I agree that it reads as her having to put in a ton of effort to complete the skills.  I also agree on the arms thing but that's been a Russian staple, for both figures and gymnastics, since forever.  That won't go away unless the judges start deducting points.  The problem with this year's competition is that Medvedeva isn't competing against a Yuna.  There isn't anyone here who is on her level so the seemingly slow skating and bad choreography won't matter because she has the difficulty and landings.  That's all that seems to matter this year.

• Love 5

Heck, here is Yuna's first ever worlds SP. Here Dick and Peggy gasp at her speed and artistry.

Evgenia is lucky the field is so weak currently.

This is probably the saltiest channel on YouTube (just check out her other videos), but goodness it makes me laugh.

54 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:
Edited by fan94

Regarding the B/S program last night: Please, someone explain something. It looked like the pair had distinctly different leg positions in the second twizzle of the three. The commentators didn't say anything, and didn't bring it up on slow motion recap. Wasn't it a mistake (I think on the part of B), and a rather big one? I've looked all over the web this morning, and can't find anything about it. I only watch figure skating if I catch it by chance on TV or the Olympics. I would love if someone would clarify if this was a big deal or not. And if it was a big deal, why is no one talking about it?

• Love 1

I don't always like Virtue and Moir, sometimes they're too clinical for me, but that short program was stunning.  I love that they chose songs which have Latin rhythms but aren't stereotypically Latin.

I think the Shibs were hurt by the Latin rhythms.  For me, Latin equals sexy, and they can't do sexy.  (Not that I'd want to see them try.  Ew.)  But then again, I always find them boring and lacking in personality anyway.  I think their scores were pretty accurate.  It was mostly technically correct but lifeless as hell.

Edited to add that while I generally approve of using music with vocals, I'd gladly go back to wall-to-wall Swan Lake if it meant never again having to hear that horrible jazz lounge version of Wonderwall.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Yeah, I am definitely an Olympics-only figure skating fan, but I wasn’t as wowed by the Shibs as I wanted to be. I found their music to be too “big” for them, for lack of a better term—they didn’t have the charisma and personality and overall it factor to live up to it. I enjoyed the playful moments in the routine and they had flashes, but by the end I was bored. Whereas with Virtue and Moir, I couldn’t take my eyes off them. They skated to legendary music and OWNED it. V/M looked like in every second of their routine they are making like 6 interesting body movements, where the Shibs only had 2 at most going on.

1 hour ago, chemgoddess said:

Regarding the B/S program last night: Please, someone explain something. It looked like the pair had distinctly different leg positions in the second twizzle of the three. The commentators didn't say anything, and didn't bring it up on slow motion recap. Wasn't it a mistake (I think on the part of B), and a rather big one? I've looked all over the web this morning, and can't find anything about it. I only watch figure skating if I catch it by chance on TV or the Olympics. I would love if someone would clarify if this was a big deal or not. And if it was a big deal, why is no one talking about it?

I thought I saw the same thing—there were a few moments where they didn’t look in sync to me.

• Love 2

I don't know what Ev and Yuna's ages were at the time of those two performances (probably the same) but Yuna looked like a woman and Evgen was a skinny, coltish girl with bony elbows that were accentuated by the 'Tano-ization of jumps.  Can the "elderly" Carolina keep up with a jumpin' machine? in the name of artistry?

14 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Yuna was 20 at the 2010 Olympics. 

Carolina is a war horse in terms of figure skaters. There’s a definite maturity to her skating that the younger ones just don’t have. 

19. Just a year's gap. 

24 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

I don't know what Ev and Yuna's ages were at the time of those two performances (probably the same) but Yuna looked like a woman and Evgen was a skinny, coltish girl with bony elbows that were accentuated by the 'Tano-ization of jumps.  Can the "elderly" Carolina keep up with a jumpin' machine? in the name of artistry?

The worst part about this seems to be that Evgenia's "technique" seems to depend entirely on how she can fling herself into jumps -- this requires her to be light, and probably won't hold up for much longer. Even compare her jumps to Alina's, whose technique still seems like it is intended to launch her up. Yuna's technique lasted despite her injuries and her growth, because it followed the proper basics, depended on speed, and had her launch into her jumps, instead.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, fan94 said:

The worst part about this seems to be that Evgenia's "technique" seems to dependent entirely on how she can fling herself into jumps -- this requires her to be light, and probably won't hold up for much longer. Even compare her jumps to Alina's, whose technique still seems like it is intended to launch her up. Yuna's technique lasted despite her injuries and her growth, because it followed the proper basics, depended on speed, and had her launch into her jumps, instead.

As a once every fours years skating fan, I definitely agree with the flinging descriptions. I would says Evgenia whips through her jumps while Yuna Kim floated. 

She sort of reminds of those obstacle courses where people run through them really quickly before the floor falls out. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 3

Were I president of the ISU, I'd be making some changes to the rules from here on out.  For starters, you're not allowed to backload programs anymore (coughRussiacough). You have to do at least one jump early on in the SP and at least two in the LP with one of them being a combination.  Second, the arm over the head thing is ridiculous.  You can't do it on every jump.  I don't care if you are able to do it, it's ugly.  

And yes, while I did think V/M were superior in the SD, I still loathe Scott Moir and his face. 

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, COESpiral said:

And yes, while I did think V/M were superior in the SD, I still loathe Scott Moir and his face. 

I don't know Scott Moir at all so this is just me making wild assumptions like we do about celebrities, but he seems like a douche. He seems like the kind of person who would be angry because Tessa is prettier than he is. 

• Love 3

Think he gets a bit of an unfair rap. I've only heard really lovely things about the pair of them from multiple people entrenched in the figure skating world tbh, but he does have a bit of a unfortunate case of douche face. 

• Love 5

I think what soured me on Scott Moir was his reaction at one of the World Team Trophy events when they were outscored by D/W and he said something along the lines of “I hate this competition.” Or something. Everyone else was having fun, and he had to ruin it with his grump face! Now I always feel like he’s faking it whenever he needs to cheer on his team/Tessa.

That and the ridiculous Tessa and Scott reality show they did before Sochi. Talk about a missed opportunity on their part! Not sure anyone came off looking good there. Did they piss off the producers or something?

• Love 7

World Team Trophy is a bloody stupid competition though and people still hold that innocuous remark from about 7 years ago against him! Federations force skaters to go when it cuts into athletes' off seasons. Several skaters have pushed through WTT when they really needed to be rehabbing instead and it's derailed their preparation for the next season. By all accounts, Moir has been the most enthusiastic cheerleader for Team Canada, and I'm not sure how anyone could watch his 20 odd year partnership with Virtue and conclude his support of her isn't genuine.

Idk, I just think the side-eyeing is a bit selective. Meryl and Charlie (who I think are lovely!) are hailed as the classiest of class acts, and yet I could point you to some incredibly salty things they said post a close Worlds loss to V/M. They're all hyper competitive athletes who hate losing.

The show was a terrible decision that reflected very poorly on all involved, I'll give you that :P 

Edited by herbz
  • Love 8

Catching up on the US broadcast and gosh, couldn't someone who knew anything about Pairs at all do the commentating? I really think they should use Tanith more as well, she's been brilliant so far.

• Love 3

SC used to force them to participate at the WTT, something about not letting them do shows otherwise. V/M practice to peak at Worlds, so they can take some time off after. The WTT was a beast on Tessa's legs. 

Tessa's been mostly the one spearheading their comeback and the time before. There's a very weird misconception about V/M that Scott's the one in the driver's seat, but based of their interviews, Tessa's the one making the decisions! Scott just tends to speak for them more as Tessa is very reserved. She needs a script more.

I'm not sure how anyone could watch his 20 odd year partnership with Virtue and conclude his support of her isn't genuine.

Everone's who's met them has nothing but good things to say. Off the figure skating grapevine, back in 2008, while Tessa was recovering from her surgery, Scott was practicing in Canton. Initially, he was practicing with other skaters but TPTB was using it as a way to test him with potential partners. Scott found out and blew a fuse. Marina gave him sandbags to practice with after that, he refused to skate with anyone else. 

I have a lot of respect for V/M for sticking together then. Scott was the stronger partner then, visibly. I remember so many people saying that he should dump her and find someone else. Combined with her injuries, no one would have blamed him. But they stuck it out.

Edited by Vera
  • Love 8

Eh, that was really only the beginning of my sideeyeing of Moir though. His comments after Sochi, and some more recent comments about an alleged ice dancing fix in Sochi, continued to sour me on him. I just feel like the level of excitement he portrays at certain points is fake, and that he’s the kind of guy who feels above that nonsense but can’t hide it as well, so I get a lack of sincerity more than other skaters who may feel the same way. Don’t they get a lot more money for WTT anyway? 

I’d love to hear more about salty Meryl/Charlie comments! Did they actually deviate from their script? I love them and think Meryl is the classiest of humans, but this has me intrigued. I mean, was it more than just Meryl being off by herself playing with a puppy while Tessa and some other skaters socialized? (Bahahaha, I think the attempt to villainize Meryl in that reality show was one of their weirder decisions, but that scene certainly cracked me up). 

• Love 5

I'm curious as to how a coach determines whether a young male skater is going to go into pairs or dance.  I look at these pairs and the men like Eric Radford, Chris Knierim, the Russian guy and the Italian guy, all look tall and strong.  Whereas the dance men like Alex Shibutani and Scott Moir look so small and slight.  How does a coach know how tall a 7 year old boy is going to get?  Or is just a matter of the fact that you don't get to this level unless you end up growing up tall and strong, and somewhere in the local rinks there is a collection of small male pairs partners?

I think the Shibutanis are overrated, and it has nothing to do with the many comments that they are brother sister so can't bring the sizzle.  I didn't see the US nationals but I read that they "dazzled" in the short program there.  I don't really see dazzling.  I just see a team going through the motions, there's nothing extra there.  They seem like a team that would do well if there were still those compulsory figure 8 type segments of the scoring.

16 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

Eh, that was really only the beginning of my sideeyeing of Moir though. His comments after Sochi, and some more recent comments about an alleged ice dancing fix in Sochi, continued to sour me on him. I just feel like the level of excitement he portrays at certain points is fake, and that he’s the kind of guy who feels above that nonsense but can’t hide it as well, so I get a lack of sincerity more than other skaters who may feel the same way. Don’t they get a lot more money for WTT anyway? 

I’d love to hear more about salty Meryl/Charlie comments! Did they actually deviate from their script? I love them and think Meryl is the classiest of humans, but this has me intrigued. I mean, was it more than just Meryl being off by herself playing with a puppy while Tessa and some other skaters socialized? (Bahahaha, I think the attempt to villainize Meryl in that reality show was one of their weirder decisions, but that scene certainly cracked me up). 

I can't imagine Davis & White making critical remarks about other teams because I've never seen any quotes, ever.  Whereas, 4-5 years ago Scott was quite busy making his snarky remarks whenever he felt their scores weren't as high as they should be (remember when he said that they were better than any of the other competitors?).  Now, as far as I know, he's been better behaved since returning to the competitive ice.  Maybe training with the French has humbled him? (hah!)

• Love 5
22 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Speaking of which, are they filming OLYMPIC ICE at a REVOLVING RESTAURANT??   The camera pans left, stops and pans right while Scott or Tanith or that host guy are having a conversation.  PLEASE STOP IT BEFORE I GET SICK.  

THIS. Why on earth is that happening? What a bizarre and distracting filming choice. Can someone tweet Tanith and ask her to tell them to stop? I'm actually having a hard time watching. 

As for V/M and D/W--I always wondered about the fact that Scott and Charlie seemed to be close friends off the ice for a while. and then didn't seem to be anymore. Also, I have never seen the Scott and Tessa reality show, but I heard that it portrayed Meryl as snobby and standoffish. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I can't handle all the over the top gushing everyone seems to be doing over the two Russian women. I'm watching Olympic Ice and they were pretty nice about everyone and then the Russian ladies came up and they just barfed praise all over them.

It really makes me hope a non-Russian will win the ladies event, I'm not picky as to who.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

THIS. Why on earth is that happening? What a bizarre and distracting filming choice. Can someone tweet Tanith and ask her to tell them to stop? I'm actually having a hard time watching. 

As for V/M and D/W--I always wondered about the fact that Scott and Charlie seemed to be close friends off the ice for a while. and then didn't seem to be anymore. Also, I have never seen the Scott and Tessa reality show, but I heard that it portrayed Meryl as snobby and standoffish. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I heard that a lot before I watched the show. They really didn’t focus on Meryl at all on the show. My perception after watching was that it was overblown by some fans.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I'm not surprised that the Russian fans don't believe their country really participated in a state-sponsored doping program because of the tight control their government has on outside propaganda,

That should tell you how the people at the top are spinning this.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

It wasn't a major theme, but it certainly wasn't overblown by some fans! I was actually kind of surprised they went there, and it was mostly focused on Meryl, with Charlie getting a different edit. It was one of the weirdest decisions made in that extremely weird show (the weirdest probably being how much Scott's girlfriend appeared in that show, knowing how much their fans shipped V/M together!). I remember a scene where they tried to make it seem like Meryl was trying to spy on some of their Olympic planning (or something), and then they tried to make it seem like she was snobby/standoffish because Tessa was socializing with some skaters while Meryl was off by herself playing with a dog in a locker room (or something). They were also very complimentary of D/W's skills, but that always felt like they were just doing it for the dramatic tension (will Tessa and Scott be able to catch up to Meryl/Charlie?!). I remember Canadian viewers came after Meryl a little on Twitter (not much, because I don't think too many people cared that much, but it was definitely there). Such a weird show! They should have consulted with me, I would have made that show a worldwide hit guys. 

I don't think I've ever heard of D/W getting asked about the show, specifically their appearances in the show, but I hold out hope for a tell all book from one of them...

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, fan94 said:

I've heard Chan's a diva. Are there any stories on the webz?

Just off the top of my head: He said he wished he skated for China because Canada didn't appreciate him enough. He left Colorado because he didn't think the other skaters were deferential enough to him when they were sharing the ice. He choked at Worlds, and made excuses that it was the ice the second he finished. For years he thought he was so good that he didn't even need a coach. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Just off the top of my head: He said he wished he skated for China because Canada didn't appreciate him enough. He left Colorado because he didn't think the other skaters were deferential enough to him when they were sharing the ice. He choked at Worlds, and made excuses that it was the ice the second he finished. For years he thought he was so good that he didn't even need a coach. 

Well. If you're going to be a diva, then go the whole hog, right? 

The other skaters are supposed to be deferential? What are they supposed to do, kiss his boots? Throw rose petals on the ice as he skates? LOL. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

It wasn't a major theme, but it certainly wasn't overblown by some fans! I was actually kind of surprised they went there, and it was mostly focused on Meryl, with Charlie getting a different edit. It was one of the weirdest decisions made in that extremely weird show (the weirdest probably being how much Scott's girlfriend appeared in that show, knowing how much their fans shipped V/M together!). I remember a scene where they tried to make it seem like Meryl was trying to spy on some of their Olympic planning (or something), and then they tried to make it seem like she was snobby/standoffish because Tessa was socializing with some skaters while Meryl was off by herself playing with a dog in a locker room (or something). They were also very complimentary of D/W's skills, but that always felt like they were just doing it for the dramatic tension (will Tessa and Scott be able to catch up to Meryl/Charlie?!). I remember Canadian viewers came after Meryl a little on Twitter (not much, because I don't think too many people cared that much, but it was definitely there). Such a weird show! They should have consulted with me, I would have made that show a worldwide hit guys. 

I don't think I've ever heard of D/W getting asked about the show, specifically their appearances in the show, but I hold out hope for a tell all book from one of them...

This seems like a response to my comment. One thing to point out is that I'm sure Tessa and Scott didn't do all of the editing for their show. The portrayal of Meryl and Charlie was likely left up to producers, not Tessa and Scott. Over the course of several episodes, Meryl was shown for maybe one minute. I think a lot was read into whether the producers were trying to suggest anything by judging Meryl's expression in the few clips she was shown, which IMO is reading a lot into very little. As you point out, Tessa and Scott did say complimentary things. I'm not sure what else they were expected to do. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, MaKaM said:

If the Shibs get pipped for a medal because they can't do sexy, they should do a satire sexy routine next time. Copy Virtue and Moir's face grabby choreography and make everyone suuuuper uncomfortable as a screw you. 

Okay, I'm good with this, but I think they should stop short of doing the V/M "watch me put my face in her crotch" spin.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Well. If you're going to be a diva, then go the whole hog, right? 

The other skaters are supposed to be deferential? What are they supposed to do, kiss his boots? Throw rose petals on the ice as he skates? LOL. 

Deferential was my word, not his, so maybe that was too harsh of me. 

I was referring to this story from this article: Patrick Chan Exposed

It was an on-ice confrontation with a younger skater that pushed him over the edge, he says. After the world champion chided her for getting in his way while he practised, she returned fire and the other athletes took her side in the argument. “I felt so lonely. People that I had trained with for a year-and-a-half, they became my worst enemies. They turned their backs on me,” says Chan, still smarting at the memory. “If I ever got in the way of Kurt Browning or Elvis Stojko and they got mad and yelled at me, I’d be, ‘Oh my God! I’m so sorry!’ ”

If everyone in the rink thinks you're being a jerk, you're probably being a jerk.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Are they really letting Kolyada skate again? 

I'm honestly fine with it. I think both he and Aliev are perfectly pleasant skaters (though I really hope they develop Aliev into the star he can be), and Russia is practically confirmed for Silver, anyway.

8 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

If everyone in the rink thinks you're being a jerk, you're probably being a jerk.

Sounds like a guy I know. Never accepts his own fault.

• Love 2