Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

2 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I'm old enough to remember when the song the Canadian skated to was in a commercial for United Airlines. 

Also Lysachek skating to it when he won gold. If we're going to talk about how to value quads, Lysachek vs. Plushenko comes to mind. 

• Love 6
Just now, stealinghome said:

Yeah, the idea isn’t bad, but somehow the execution doesn’t work at all...it’s quite unflattering for her body type.

It reminds me of those cutout dresses that actresses and singers wear at awards shows to be titillating and sexy.   If that was her intent, doesn't that violate the "not too sexy" rules for costumes?  Moreover, it was ugly as sin and the flesh coloured illusion bit near the stomach made her look slightly pregnant.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Also Lysachek skating to it when he won gold. If we're going to talk about how to value quads, Lysachek vs. Plushenko comes to mind. 

Evan Lysacek skated to Rhapsody in Blue when he won Worlds in 2009.  He skated to Firebird and Scheherazade in the 2010 Olympics.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

f we're going to talk about how to value quads, Lysachek vs. Plushenko comes to mind

2010 was the year I really got into following skating, largely because I loved Lysacek's routines. Much more enjoyable to watch than "skate to jump, skate to next jump" IMO.

• Love 5

I mean, I  thought it was great and strategic. Kid is clearly incredibly talented and definitely deserved the high GOEs. There was no worry that she was going to splat at any point.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

I'm almost falling asleep as her music is so boring.  I wonder how many in the audience feel the same way?  As much as I don't like so many repeats of other music, I would take a Carmen or Phantom over this.

Oh I love Rhapsody and Blue.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Shaynaa said:

She seriously did no jumps for the first 2 minutes and still gets 10 technical points more than Mirai.  WTF?

She did harder jumps, harder combos, extra arm-over-the-head stuff + the bonus for doing it late in the program. It's math.

• Love 7

Ok, I get it, this girl can do every jump with her hands over her heads.  Looks ugly.  If it were me, I would make a rule saying you only get bonus points for it once and that's it.  Multiple praying hands don't get you more.  And I definitely would warn people that back loading your program makes it uneven and dock you artistic points.

Between the two Not-Russian girls, however, I prefer this one.  The other one leaves me cold.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Seriously, what is Carolina Kostner wearing? Oh honey, no.

I trust by now you've seen the lime body suit she previously wore for this routine that was posted upthread? This one is an improvement.

I'm left utterly flat by Zagitova.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I hate Zagi’s outfit but she’s already showing more personality and charisma than Med so I’m liking her. Still hate the Part 2 thing though.

The outfit is ALMOST lovely, but the beading on the gloves makes it too much. Take off that beading and maybe tone down the yellow beads on the bodice, and it’d be much better.

This Russian girl was much more impressive than last night’s imo. Much more personality and more engaging, even with the no jumps in the first half of the routine.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

So since I'm more a casual watcher, I know some elements but not all.  But even I can say this: stacking the deck on jumps in your second half so you can score bonuses needs to be thought over.  You're basically rewarding them for saving their energy and strength for the last 2 minutes. 

• Love 11
Just now, blackwing said:

Ok, I get it, this girl can do every jump with her hands over her heads.  Looks ugly.  If it were me, I would make a rule saying you only get bonus points for it once and that's it.  Multiple praying hands don't get you more.  And I definitely would warn people that back loading your program makes it uneven and dock you artistic points.

Between the two Not-Russian girls, however, I prefer this one.  The other one leaves me cold.

I’m hoping this happens during the next code update.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, MaKaM said:

She did harder jumps, harder combos, extra arm-over-the-head stuff + the bonus for doing it late in the program. It's math.

I think she should get nailed in the PCS scores. Spend the first half of the program skating around and then the second skating from jump to jump is not a well constructed program. 

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

She seriously did no jumps for the first 2 minutes and still gets 10 technical points more than Mirai.  WTF?

Obviously, she's very strategic in backloading her program. I can't complain at all about her technical scores. I just found her program boring and not aesthetically pleasing. 

• Love 6
Just now, irisheyes said:

I think she should get nailed in the PCS scores. Spend the first half of the program skating around and then the second skating from jump to jump is not a well constructed program. 

Except that's canceled out by the Skating While Russian* bonus.

• Love 7

Why bother give bonus points for jumping on "tired legs" in the second half if the first half of the program does not really challenge the skater?  She was very skilled, but the program was too lopsided to keep my interest.

• Love 17

I didn't mind Alina Zagitova's routine, but I have the same issue with her that I always have with the Russians: Their routines leave me cold. Like, they're a product of the old Soviet machine, you know? It feels almost robotic, no connection to the music.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 19
1 minute ago, irisheyes said:

Well, it is also as bad as cramming all the jumps up front when you are fresh and then just putzing around for the last half. They added the bonus to get people to stop front-loading the programs and now it has bit them in the butt. I agree that the code should be rewritten to limit some of the egregiousness and the PCS crap needs a COMPLETE overhaul because it is totally bullshit nearly all the time. It needs to be better tied to actual movements instead of "you've been around a long enough time (or are Russian) so you get 9s. You aren't Russian and/or are new, you get 7s."

• Love 10

I really thought the judges would put Mirai fourth or fifth no matter how she skated. I am so glad I was wrong! That takes a lot of pressure off the Shibutanis! I hope they go out, enjoy themselves, and skate lights out!

Adam and Mirai are roommates in the Olympic Village! I love it!

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, alexa said:

I have never seen Zagitova before. I really liked her and thought it was kind of cool she could do all of her difficult jumps at the end. Finally some competition for Med. 

Yeah, again a casual viewer and heard  the announcers say they get more points for jumping in the second half of the program --- so why not?  (Change the judging/rules if you don't like it.).   I liked her costume.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I'm old enough to remember when the song the Canadian skated to was in a commercial for United Airlines. 

Me too. United Airlines is the first thing I think of whenever I hear  Rhapsody in Blue.

I am so happy for Mirai. What a performance.

I know I'm supposed to be having orgasms over the Russians, but they're doing absolutely nothing for me. I liked this girl better than the one who skated the short, but the backloaded programs are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. It's like you spend the first two minutes frustrated waiting for something to happen and then the last minute and a half is nothing but frenzied jumping. Blech.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12

I hate the Tano when the Russians do it, but the Rippon variation with both arms above the head is really pretty. That said, what a boring program aside from the jumps! Ladies skating is kind of depressing. 

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 3

Adam Rippon is punch drunk happy.*  I like how he's also talking about Mirai; didn't know they were roommates at the village.  They both waited a long time for the moments they had tonight.  

*Either that, or I want some of what he's having.

• Love 13