Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

Just now, Jaded said:

The yell I let out when Mirai landed her triple axel scared by cat out of his sound sleep he was enjoying on me. Oops.

LOL I actually pumped my fist and yelled "YES" when she landed the axel. My husband gave me a weird look.

Go Mirai!

• Love 12
Just now, stealinghome said:

Did Johnny just call figure skating a math problem these days? HA.

The women seem to splat significantly less than the men.

Scott Hamilton also said that there was a lot of math involved nowadays. I don't know how I feel about that.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Scott Hamilton also said that there was a lot of math involved nowadays. I don't know how I feel about that.

It makes it seem more legit to the masses than just "Eh, that felt like a 5.8 performance" as it used to be.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Did I hear Johnny correctly last night when he said during the pairs free that it is better to attempt a difficult jump and fall than to pop a triple and turn it into a double?  If that's the case, why doesn't everyone "attempt" quads even if they can't do them?   I would think a clean jump would look better and more artistic even if it's not as hard.  

Yes, I believe you get credit if you rotated the quad (got four full revolutions), and then a point deduction for the bad landing. I think. So, a clean double is worth less than a splat-quad. Which, to the home viewer, all they see is splatting and wonder why the person who fell is in first and the person with the clean program is in third.
My son's coach told him "good skaters don't have crappy landings!" and that's all I can think when I see all this falling. Count me in as not a fan of the everyone-must-do-quads. What's next, attempting a quint just for the hell of it? Quad axels?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ChromaKelly said:

Yes, I believe you get credit if you rotated the quad (got four full revolutions), and then a point deduction for the bad landing. I think. So, a clean double is worth less than a splat-quad. Which, to the home viewer, all they see is splatting and wonder why the person who fell is in first and the person with the clean program is in third.
My son's coach told him "good skaters don't have crappy landings!" and that's all I can think when I see all this falling. Count me in as not a fan of the everyone-must-do-quads. What's next, attempting a quint just for the hell of it? Quad axels?

I mean, you can only slam to the ice so many times before you can't get up again due to bruises. So that does limit it somewhat.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ChromaKelly said:

Yes, and yes.  And the women are even now trying for a few quads.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Did America just clinch the bronze?

No, if Kostner beats Zaigatova and Mirai comes in 3rd, they make up 2 points and bring it even again. ETA: if I did my math right.

Edited by MaKaM

Marai got a standing ovation in my house!

I was doing some nail biting at first, she seemed a bit clenched up but as the program went out she really combined the athletic and artistic - good for her!

Doesn't matter to me how the Team ranks, it was worth it just to see those two do so well.  

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Skating While Russian and Chanflation are still in full effect, I see.  That was some epic bullshit.  Kolyada scored only .5 points lower than Adam on PCS?  Uhhhhhh, no.  Also, I really don't need to hear about how wonderful Chan's skating is when I've never seen him skate a clean program.  Adam should've won that round (or at LEAST been second).  So. much. collusion.

I only watch ice skating during Olympic competition and have no idea what kind of janketty math is behind the scoring these days, but apparently they factor in some secret algorithm for falling down (Russian dude) and being boring and falling (Chan) that allows them to ascend to the top of heap while the guy who skated so beautifully and near perfectly (Rippon) trails behind.

I am grateful, however, for Johnny Weir's fantastic outfit and elegant hairpiece.